Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...depends on where you live. MSRP is common most places. $300-500 off in Ohio, Kentucky. Bay Area and PNW may still be over MSRP.
  • Options
    collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    I have an 02 Ody LX on order in the Houston area for $500 off MSRP. No dealer add ons. The dealers around here have the EX type versions sitting on their lots and they seemed willing to deal.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    May have to resurrect Ask Sir Fezo over here....getting a little strange in N&V. I figure I now have 6 months in the Ody and can report with something resembling authority...

Had to replace the windshield due to an errant stone. Here in NJ glass repair comes under the comprehensive section of you car insurance (it's only slightly more difficult to understand a New Jersy car insurance policy than it is to build a working space shuttle) and mine has a $500 deductible. The good news is that a windshield on an 02 Ody costs $209.73 less than that and the guy comes to your place of employment, house, getaway, prison cell to do the job. Nice work anyway.

Other than that I've got a slightly sticky slider and once the side airbag light came on - that's it. All is well, the kids just love the thing (of course they loved the Windstall - what do they know?) and Mrs fezo has readjusted to the world of vans nicely. She's still amazed that I can poke one of these into a tight parking space. Actually so am I.....

Gee, collins14 - I'm sorry to hear that. Might mean I can't sell it in two years for what I paid for it.... Nice deal. Congrats.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    I'm shocked that you would say that, as a fellow libearian. You should know that we are Renaissance People and have an abiding interest in the world of pure knowledge. I follow the Odyssey, Windstar, Chrysler and Kia van models. I gave up on Mercury, Nissan and Toyota as there aren't enough hours in the day.

It's easy to keep up with the PT Cruiser, giving me extra time (the last post for that car was days ago.)

10,000 is certainly a reasonable figure for the amount of time that you have owned the car. My wife's volunteer job is 20 miles from the house, some days she has to make the trip twice and so the miles rack up.

Carl
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    That most of the internet people I associate with, own Odysseys. In self-defense, I have to be aware of what the enemy is doing
  • Options
    Of course - I should have realized....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    I am trying to decide which model to get. My dealer has both coming in next month in the Redrock Pearl which I want but I haven't decided on if I want leather or cloth? Acutally the EX-L also has the DVD player which is nice but there is a big price difference in the two about $3000. I like leather and would like to have a DVD for when my 5 week old starts watching movies on our trips. Does anyone have any comments one way or the other? I can afford either but still not sure if the price warrants getting the EX-L RES? is the leather much nicer?? or is the cloth uncomfortable?? I haven't rode in either.
  • Options
    l5tcl5tc Member Posts: 14
    I can't believe that my 2000 is coming off lease in less than a year! Other than a sticky door and the worlds worst add on CD player - I'm getting another. The lease buy out price is too high - plus this was never the model I ordered. however hard it is to get one now in late 1999 it was impossible.
  • Options
    mommyof4mommyof4 Member Posts: 46
    is scheduled for 2004. For more info, check Motor Trend's website.
  • Options
    volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    Liebesi,

I sat in cloth + leather EX models last weekend, and ended up buying the cloth. Unlike some leather upgrades, I didn't think the Ody leather package offered any extra plushness or comfort. If you just love leather as seat cover material, consider it. If you're looking for a softer, more inviting seat, you'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    We got the EX-L with the DVD system. I really like it. I agree that the leather is not as plush as some I have seen, but it is easier to clean than cloth...a big plus with kids! Also, the heated seats are VERY nice, even in So. California.

We also take long trips, and the DVD has been great for this. The back seat passengers can listen to a separate DVD or CD than the front seat passengers by cordless headphones. The picture is great. There are also hook ups for VCR's or games. I know there are people who use portable DVDs and seem satisfied with them. This system works great for us. If you can afford it, I say, "Go for it!"
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I had a windshield replaced by my insurance. I called my insurance agent, he gave me my choice of glass places and made me an appointment. I showed up and it was replaced. No paper work or anything. No charge.
  • Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Since you have to buy leather to get the DVD entertainment system, there are alternatives to people who like the cloth. There is a nice selection of aftermarket auto entertainment systems available. Some with larger screens than what comes with the Oddy.And what makes them nice is that its portable and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.There are also some nice permanent sytems available. My son bought his at Best Buy and saved about $1300.00
  • Options
    tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    Liebesi:
    The RES issue has come up before here, and I agree you can do better (bigger screen, cheaper) aftermarket. Our son was 14 months old when we ordered our EX-L, so we knew we could go aftermarket later when he's older. Regarding leather quality - it doesn't turn the seats into Bentley equivalents by any means. We got it for look and feel, but also for clean-up. If you want comfort, save the $, get the EX, and remember leather can be added aftermarket, too, and in any color you want! ;-)
  • Options
    ashleymellashleymell Member Posts: 1
    My 99 has to have the entire transmission replaced after 48,000 miles. I've done all scheduled maintenance and drive the car gently. Is this an issue with 99's or just my luck? Looking for info. Thanks
  • Options
    formy3kidsformy3kids Member Posts: 40
    I was at my local dealer to look at the Havasu Blue Odyssey. I have pictures but I am unsure on how to post them. Can someone please tell me how to post them on this site? By the way, it was ugly!
  • Options
    Long time no see?

On the windshield - I'm betting you don't live in New Jersy, right? They traditionally have put windshields in as part of comprehensive which has a higher deductible than the cost of the windshield. I'm going to call the agent anyway just to check. The new one is in and fine so it's just a maaterof if thy want to reimburse.
  • Options
    stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Did you mention something about a Granite color? where are you getting you info on colors. BTW - saw Havasu Blue in brochure. Enough for me not to wait, unless something else is coming up. I like the white, but GREEN interior! What is that! It seems I'll probably get silver even tho I wanted tan interior.

Anyone else know of any changes for 2003?
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Don't let the Fern Green interior put you off. We wanted a Canyon Stone Silver Odyssey, but of course that colour was discontinued for 2002. Anyway to cut a long story short we ended up with Granite Green (actually Fern Green in Canada) with the Fern Green interior and have found that the green is so subtle that we are happy with it. We would have chosen the Quartz Grey interior give the choice but the Fern is a very good substitute.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Check the posts on the Odyssey Problems board. A number of folks have experienced transmission failure. Honda replaced mine at no charge last November at 40K+ when out of warranty. Others seems to have paid part of the cost. Try to get them to pay for the whole thing. Good luck.
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    After market is the way to go. It is a major saving. Which makes me wonder how CD players are not standard in every vehicle. The format has been around about twenty years now. I haven't purchased a cassette in over ten years. I have noticed that some manufacturers are with the times and offer MP3 players.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    If for no other reason than most of the time if it is installed at time of purchase it is warrantied for the 3/36 period with no hassles of trying to find the aftermarket info. Other than that, most of the time it fits better and last longer, not always I know but I see alot of aftermarket component failure. Just my two cents on the matter.. Have a good day
  • Options
    I love gray interiors - they soak up dirt like mad. You could haul cattle (not unlike three kids...) and not notice the dirt. Any clean freaks are probably having a cow (which you could carry in an Ody with a gray interior) right now but hey, if you're a clean freak how the heck did you get talked into kids?

Anyway, grandtotal makes a good point - that fern interior looks awfully gray to me - you wouldn't notice. And the Granite Green likewise looks great. We ended up with the Satin Silver van for the same reason as the gray interior - least insane maintenence. I've got an Emerald Green Accord with an Ivory interior and it's a ton more work in terms of looking presentable. HAve had it about 2-1/2 years and finally breaking down and taking it to the detailer at the end of the month. I figure it will be worth it to avoid doing it myself. I'll say right now it's only the second time I've ever gone to a detailer - last time was 20 years ago when I stole an 80 Accord that a Toyota dealer had just taken in as a trade and hadn't done a thing to. He was happy to deal rather than do anything. Smoker's car (Oy!). The detailer did a great job!
  • Options
    ody500ody500 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at getting a Odyssey EX-L without DVD, but will consider with a DVD. Is pricing still above MSRP? Can't I haggle to get them below MSRP? Or are they telling the truth that they can sell the car at any price? I live in the Bay Area/San Jose. Any input would be appreciated.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I ran a request for someone in the Bay Area yesterday. All offers came in over MSRP, including my customer's! Apparantly the EX-L is very popular where you are. The lowest price I found was $29,220 from a dealer in San Joaquin County.
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Second that. I had no idea my Fern interior was suppose to be green until some one here told me.

It looks grey. Only in the bright sunlight,and having someone point out to you that it has flecks of green in it, would you notice.

Bottom line for all practical purposes it is grey. It does hide the dirt and stains very well.
  • Options
    moyung1moyung1 Member Posts: 1
    Are there any major change for the 2003 or 2004 Ody??? Does anyone know!!!!!
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    No major changes for 03 are expected AFAIK. 03 is the last year of Honda's 5 year model cycle.

04 should be a major revision is the 5 years holds true.
  • Options
    raseeleyraseeley Member Posts: 8
    I searched far and wide for a dealer locally who would cut me a break. None did. I then used the internet to look up dealers all over the country and then sent requests for quotes. My best deal came out of North Carolina, 800 below MSRP on the Granite Green EX (after all was said and done). They are having it courtesy delivered to my local dealer at no extra cost (the same $440 delivery charge).

If you are stuck with local dealers with no wiggle room, you might want to try out of state. They can have it shipped to your store where you will pick it up from the same folks who wanted to charge you 1500 over MSRP. Now that is internet justice!!
  • Options
    Which NC dealer? I live here, we got our EX-L at Burlington in Feb. Called across good chunk of the state, they were the best price and great to deal with. We paid MSRP + 440 delivery only, no add-ons, "doc fees", "cleaning charges", etc.

Curious -- did you have to pay NC highway tax (think it's about 2-3%) as you are presumably registering out of state?
  • Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    1100 miles on the 2002 Oddy and all is well. Checked our gas milage today on a 200 mile trip going 70mph with the climate control on and got 26.2 mpg. Not Bad.
  • Options
    lumanskilumanski Member Posts: 39
    I'm sure this is a repeat question but do I need to make any special adjustments (different gas, oil, etc) if I'm going into high altitude this summer for a weeks vacation? (Colorado). I will NOT be towing anything.

Note: 1 year and 22,000 miles down. If only SUV Moms knew how great these are!
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    That is one of the great things about todays cars. With the on board computers etc. you don't need to make any changes as the computer does it for you. You may see a decrease in power and mileage if Colorado is one of those states that use the special oxygenated fuels.
  • Options
    I have the much sought after, now collectable, highly prized Canyon Stone Silver with Quartz interior 99 ODY.
    I have a meager 57 K miles on it and still runs like new. It will be 3 in July.
  • Options
    ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    My 2001 Taffeta White Odyssey EX with Fern Interior one year this month. 13,500 miles now. Taffeta White with Fern Interior very nice. White very elegant exterior. Fern Green interior same as Quartz not show dirt or wear.
  • Options
    carrieb2carrieb2 Member Posts: 7
    We will be picking up our EX in mid June at a dealership about 240 miles away from our home. On the trip back should I travel below or at 55 miles per hour or isn't that necessary? What have others done with their new Odyssey's?
  • Options
    jbhjbhjbhjbh Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 EX and are getting ready to replace the tires. Any suggestions for quieter riding tires. OEM tires create a lot of road noise.
    Thanks, Jim
  • Options
    I drove my ODY from the git go at well over 55. I would recommend that you don't use the cruise control (vary the engine speed) up to at least 70 and avoid hitting the brakes really hard ( if traffic will oblige) for the first few hundred miles. I did this and I get better than average gas mileage (about 22.5 with 40 % highway, 60% city) and I can cruise at 80 all day, accelerating to above that when passing. I have a 99 with 57 K miles.
  • Options
    edwinfongedwinfong Member Posts: 25
    I just got Michelin X Radial Pluses from Costco. They are much quieter than the
    Firestone Affinyties that were OEM on my 2000 Ody LX. I got 51K on the Firestones.
    The Michelins handle better and are more quiet. The X Radial Pluses are identical to
    the Radial Ones by Michelin except they are sold by Sam's Club and Costco. Costco
    in Sacramento sold them for about $480 for set of 4, mounted, balanced, with a road
    hazard guarantee and treadwear guarantee for 80K miles including taxes.
  • Options
    vanchallengedvanchallenged Member Posts: 1
    I enjoy my overall experience with my Ody but I just get a little frustrated when we're doing those weekend errands to the grocery store and home depot and my cargo area becomes an either or situation. Either I can put my groceries on top of the boards I'm hauling and watch them roll around the place or I can skip home depot all together to put my groceries in the bin behind the seat. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    We took delivery of our 02 Odyssey this morning. I am a little disappointed in initial quality. Several things are wrong with it. One item I do have a question on- I drove 80 miles today and the needle never moved off of the F on the gas gauge. I thought it was broken (or I was getting incredible mileage!). Then at the very end of the day it moved slightly- about one needle width off of the "F". So I have now gone 90 miles and it has only slightly moved. Do I need to get this checked out? Either I am going to get 900 miles to the tank or it will run out at the 1/2 mark. Is this typical for the ody or a new car?
  • Options
    Depending on the type of miles you put on it highway Vs city it's very possible to put that many miles on a car without it moving off of full. I have had many, many new cars and most all of them do that. The price would be expensive to design a very accurate fuel gauge. Besides if you did 90 miles and get 25 mpg thats only a little of 3 gal. The Ody tank is a shallow tank. Kind of long and wide but not deep. You will find when it gets low enough for the low fuel to come on that you may still have 4 or 5 gal. of gas left, a commond complaint here. Also you will get the sloshing sound when you get near half full, again due to the tank being more in the middle of the vehicle due to the well that the magic seat fits into.
  • Options
    We took delivery of our 02 Odyssey this morning. I am a little disappointed in initial quality.

Are you a little disappointed in initial quality because of the fuel gauge? If so be happy that you haven't got any real problems and enjoy your new Odyssey.
  • Options
    vanchallenged: How about just folding the 3rd row forward, and resting boards across them and onto the floor in front, leaving the cargo area for use? Even remove 2nd row seats if not in use. Or use the side clothes hangers to hold plastic grocery bags. Don't know how much this'll help.

collins14: We have '02 Ody, I still drive an '88 Civic. My experience with both of these, and a previous Civic I had, are that Honda's fuel gauges act this way. Be prepared, the needle indeed goes down slowly, but the last 1/3 of the tank (according to the gauge) goes much quicker. I bet you will see realistic mpg figures when you fill 'er up. It just takes getting used to. When my Civic gets below 1/4 tank on the gauge, I watch it very closely.

Speaking of MPG, I was pleasantly surprised to get 25 mph last week on a long trip to NC mountains. We've only been getting 15-16 mpg around town.
  • Options
    It wasn't just the gas gauge. Problems with the van upon delivery:
    1)roof rack was bent-new one is being put on today.
    2)alignment is severly off- a strong pull to the right.
    3) Passenger front door needs a strong push to close all the way. A normal closing does not make it latch.
    4)Loud rattle/creak up front
    I guess I just expected something better from Honda.
  • Options
    Now those are what I call problems. Any one of those would be cause for complaint, to have four is very unlucky. A vehicle with those problems should not have got past quality control at the factory and if it did the dealer should have spotted and fixed the problems but maybe that's asking too much. I hope you get them all rectified soon. May I ask was this a Canadian assembled Odyessey or was it US assembled?
  • Options
    I was hoping for a Canadian car but unfortunately this one was made in Alabama. I hope the pilots do not have as many quality problems.
  • Options
    corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Do you need tools to remove the second row captain chairs from an Odyssey? Just wondering.
  • Options
    1)roof rack was bent-new one is being put on today. That could have happened after leaving factory.

2)alignment is severly off- a strong pull to the right. Should be easy to fix.

3) Passenger front door needs a strong push to close all the way. A normal closing does not make it latch. May just need a little grease.

4)Loud rattle/creak up front That could also be easily fixed. You have to remember that these aren't road tested at the factory. Could be something real simple.
    If this is the only trouble you have than you're way ahead of the game. This is a machine with thousands of parts and put together by a thousand pair of hands. Mistakes happen. Last year I went to the Detroit auto show and saw a $350,000 Rolls with a paint run right by the door handle. How could they have missed that, but they did.
  • Options
    I did not say these were problems that were difficult to fix- or at least I hope so. My comment was that I was surprised by so many defects in a new car. The price of a new Ody is not chump change to us. I spent a long time researching cars and although I preferred the Sienna the whole sludge issue scared me away. I had hoped I was purchasing a quality built vehicle - and I am still hoping that. Only time will tell.