Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    When I purchased my Oddy (out of state), My dealer(Rick Case Cleveland,Ohio) took the Oddy through a 68 point check before it was given to me. It took two hours to prepare the van and I know because I was there. They made sure every movable part worked. They put it on a lift and checked the underside and even checked the tourque of the lug nuts along with the tire pressure. They gave me a copy of there inspection. It was a very intensive inspection and the last thing they did was wash and wax it. Opps. The last thing they did was test drive it before delivering it to me.
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    I agree with you, fixable or not, that sounds like a disappointment. I hope it's all sorted out with good service. I tend to agree with the others, this could have been nipped by the dealership. As you indicate, it's a nice chunk of $$$ to put down, and with other nice models, I expected (and fortunately got) a vehicle with great initial quality. Let us know how your dealer handles it.

corsicachevy - No tools to remove, but when you put them back you need a flat blade screwdriver to remove the plastic plates that cover the seat latches on the floor.
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Other brands minivan not have huge cargo area, Magic Seat and well behind 3rd seat so owner can never go Home Depot and grocery store same trip. Other brands minivan not take 7 people and all luggage inside van long trip.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    tj610 - thanks for the answer. That is what I suspected, but just needed confirmation. Do you HAVE to put the plastic covers in place or is that an optional procedure?
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    Just looking for some further info on the second row seat removal. Anyone out there routinely take the seats out for cargo and back in for passengers? Does the removal of the seats provide a fully flat surface all the way to the back hatch?

Do you consider the design a covenient one for removal and re-installation of the second row seats. Also does the 3rd row seat fold into the floor or does it require the same removal process as the 2nd row seats.

Thanks for any insight on the level of difficulty or ease in this process.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    99 and up the third seat folds into a pocket in the back in order to be flush with the flor when down. The secound row of seating removal is done by a flip of a lever, tilt them forward to unhook and lift out. Now there not exactly feather light but there not too bad...
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Hello, I am Maxamillion from the Nissan Altima and Honda Accord boards.

I want to know what you guys think about the Oddy, is a great buy, would you buy another. What are the current deals on the Oddy? My mom and I looked at the new Oddy a couple of months back, and she is considering either Mesa Beige, Granite Green, or the dark green color. She prefers the EX model, but she thinks that the prices are too expensive. Should she get a new Oddy or should she just get a preowned oddy? Thanks in advance.
    Maxamillion
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    auburn63: with the third row seat folded into the floor and the second row captains removed, does that leave the Odyssey with a completely flat surface from the driver and front passenger seats all the way back to the rear hatch?
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Heatwave, I can answer that one for you. The Odyssey provides a flat cargo floor with the second row seats removed and the third row bench folded.

I think that all minivans provide a flat cargo floor when all the seats are removed/stored.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Every van has it's pros and cons.

Would we buy another? Yes, the Ody has worked well for us.

Current deals - depends on where you live. Prices seem to range from $500 off to $2,000 over MSRP.

Prices/Value are relative. The Ody at MSRP is priced very close to competing models once their discounted street prices are factored in. Further Ody's seem to be holding value better than competing models.

New vs Used - I stopped at a Honda dealer yesterday and they had a 99 EX with 36K on the lot for $23K, it was $26K new. That decision is your mom's. Personally, I tend to buy new.
    How good are the Honda Oil Filters and who makes them?
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Not for sure who makes them but I do know that Honda has them make them to Honda own specs. The filters are made with a anti bleed down valve to try and keep the presure available on start ups where as alot of other brands do not. For as many times as you need to change it(min. being 7500 max. being every 15k)it is well worth the 4 or 5 US dollars.
    Corsicachevy - The covers are optional. They just prevent small objects - and fingers - from getting caught on the latches.

Our van was in possession for about 1 hour before I put the first scratch mark on it -- taking one of those plastic covers off! Actually, our van didn't come with covers for all slots at once, just enough to cover the latches not in use depending on your 2nd row configuration. So to just take seats out temporarily, there's nothing to do.

Maxamillion - My wife is a Hall of Fame tightwad, so once she decided on the Ody, we looked long and hard for '99 and up used. Two problems: First, they're hard to find! People love and keep these things. Everytime we found one, it was "already sold". Second, lack of depreciation doesn't make it worthwhile. People tend to put at least average (12-15K/yr) miles on minivans, and price barely drops.
    Also, if she wants an EX no leather, she might be able to wiggle under MSRP if she's lucky.
  • kruitboschkruitbosch Member Posts: 5
    Maxamillion: I purchased a 2002 Taffeta White Ody EX with the fern gray leather and DVD Entertainment system. So far, it has been awesome for our family. I am not sure what all the complaints are about the quality problems. I picked my Ody up from a dealership in Dallas not two hours after delivery and took it home. It did not pull at all and there are no rattles or mechanical problems as of yet (approx. 4,000 miles). My kids love the DVD entertainment system. . ..I can't get my 2-year-old out of the van :) My wife loves the ease of the fold-down rear seats. It is nice not to have to lift them completely out. I paid MSRP at a dealership in Dallas but was quoted as much as 2,000 over MSRP by a local dealership. . . . .definitely shop around on the internet before you decide on a dealer. I am so happy with my Odyssey that I am going to put a deposit on a 2003 Honda Pilot. Hope you find this helpful.

Shane
  • teitgenteitgen Member Posts: 1
    It's time for new tires on my 2000 Odyssey. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • yeongbinyeongbin Member Posts: 3
    I am a 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL owner, and I only drive it during the weekend (mainly on highway, California) hence the mileage is quite low. (2500 miles for 6 months) My question is: When should I do the schedule maintenance? By time or by mileage? If by time, every 6 months or one year? If by mileage, every 3750 miles or 7500 miles? Any suggestion is most appreciated.
  • raseeleyraseeley Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my Odyssey from Crown Honda in Greenesboro. Initially with a guy named Steve and then ended up with Chris.

I did not have to pay NC highway tax at 2-3% but did have to pay the much more stinging Colorado version of 6.95% as well as 470 in licensing fees. However if I had bought in state I would have had to pay 7.65% tax as by buying out of state I don't pay the county tax (thus the difference). So all in all it was a big win. Hope that helps.
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    I don't drive that many miles either so I am having the service done according to the books mileage severe service schedule of every 6 months or 3750 miles, which ever comes first. That is because if you drive that few miles then you are driving under the books definition of severe service, the way I read their definition. You would want to do that so that Honda did not void your warranty. Honda could say that if you drive that few miles then you are operating under the severe service. I would want to do it anyway to help keep my Odyssey reliable.

Unfortunately the book does not seem to make sense if you drive a really low amount of miles. What if you have the car serviced and then park it in your garage for 6 months while you take a trip to Europe, say. When you come back should you get the oil changed again. That does not make any sense because the oil does not age. It is in this area of very low mileage, with time, that I would be interested in knowing what Honda would recommend. It would have been better if they had covered that in the book in order to be complete and not have misunderstandings.
  • cxxviiicxxviii Member Posts: 5
    OK - what is the fastest way to get my hands on a 2002 EX-L with NAV? No dealer in my area (DC) has one... is there a web site to search dealers nationwide? A Honda # to call? Best I could find was a promise of September. I am open to any creative suggestions - we are trying to get one for a cross-country trip mid-July.

Oh, and has anyone done aftermarket DVD w/ NAV?
  • drb9drb9 Member Posts: 6
    My suggestion for locating one is to buy one from Vermont. We were disgusted with the tactics of College Park Honda, and I called a dealer in VT, where my family lives. Town & Country Honda in Montpelier/Barre had one sitting on the lot, without a buyer. My theory is this--Vermont is not covered very well with the nav system, so there are fewer buyers up there. Add on top of that a Yankee frugality that balks at spending an extra $2,000 for this feature, and you have increased availability. Fly to Manchester NH for $34 on Southwest, take a bus (Vermont Transit) to Montpelier for $20. Drive 9 1/2 hours home.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Has a few dealers selling at under MSRP, possibly Kentucky. Shop around a bit before flying off to Vermont.
  • sgreen4sgreen4 Member Posts: 5
    When we decided to buy our 2002 EX we went straight back from Northern Va to Colonial Honda in Petersburg (1-800-564-9836) (2 hrs south just off I-95) where we had lived and I had my Accord serviced regularly. Last fall the Oddy market was hot....Belinda took great care of us. No games. We had to pay MSRP, no mark ups or add ons. Dealer prep was $99.00.
    Very happy buyer. Tell her SGreen sent you.
  • snhillsnhill Member Posts: 2
    I need help. I have been a lurker here for quite a while. Have wanted an Ody for at least 3 years.

I have a dilemma: I was at an auto show in our area back in Feb/Mar and was able to see both an EX and an LX. After checking both out, I decided that I would rather have the LX. Since we keep our vehicles a long time, I was concerned that if the power doors on the EX ever busted after a warranty ran out and the cost to fix was prohibitive, those things are a bear to close manually. The LX has no power mechanism to break and they open and close very smoothly, with the touch of a finger, as opposed to my '94 Grand Caravan, which I basically have to throw my body against to close.

Now, I'm shopping around and got a good offer (25,500 plus Tax and fees) on an LX with the options I wanted (keyless entry, CD player and Trailer hitch) from my local dealer.

Yesterday, he comes to me with an 2002 GG EX DEMO with 5000 miles he can sell me for 25,500 plus trailer hitch pkg for 850 plus tax and doc fees)

My question, are my concerns about the power doors valid concerns, or are these doors pretty reliable. Does anyone think I may have a problem with them in 7-10 years? Should I take the demo at this price?

Help, I need to call the dealer this morning and let them know...
    I felt the same thing you did, but they did seem to get the bugs out of the power doors. They made some substancial upgrades. I purchased the 2002 EX because you get so much more for the extra money. I also purchased the extended warrenty for $820 and I don't have to worry about it for 7 years. They also had a ton of problems with the mechanical doors. Going to a better grade door seal seems to have fixed this problem. I do not regret buying the EX. The better sound system, climate control,better tires interior lighting etc makes it a great bargain for the extra money.
  • moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    teitgen:

Yokohama Avid Touring in 225/60SR16 are going to be the replacement tires for my current Michellin 235/60SR60 MXV4 Pluses. Looks to be better tire at less than half the cost. See tirerack.com
  • mommyof4mommyof4 Member Posts: 46
    Get the EX! :)
  • tjsker2tjsker2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone turned down the drums on their Odyssey twice? I'm wondering if I should just put new ones on myself.
  • liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know how much time it is taking for a dealer to get an EX-L RES from Honda once it is ordered. The dealer is telling me that he ordered it on May 1st and should be in by end of June?? I know earlier in the year it was taking 90-120 days but is the time shorter now? I really need this car by the end of June!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Some dealers have them in stock. The order time depends on the dealer's backlog.
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Dealer had EX-L-Nav with added RES. Used for demonstrator about 1 week until sold. Odyssey most desired minivan with waiting list.
  • ikendrickikendrick Member Posts: 2
    I ordered an EXL w/DVD (Evergreen Pearl) at the end of April and was told I'd get it by the end of June. Last week dealer called and said factory has hold on my color until August at the earliest so I switched to Granite Green to keep the end of June delivery time. Naturally I'm quite anxious to get my hands on it. Oh and as to the pro-Grand Caravan guys. All I have to say is that there's never been a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth product made that can compare to the quality and durability of any Honda--except for those made by Mitsubishi for Chrysler. This will be Honda number 3 for me. The 1st an '84 Accord Hatchback (my favorite) 13 years, 189,000 miles. Only 4 repair trips--was totaled in an accident finally. Currently a '97 Accord-- wife's car, no repairs and will keep. I'm trading in my '95 Mitsubishi for the Odyssey.

As far as looks go all vans look like boxes on wheels to me--not things of beauty. I need carrying capacity and reliability --if I want pretty I'll get a BMW.
    Times they are a'changing, so don't know how relevant my experience is. We ordered in early Jan, got EX-L (no NAV or RES) in 6 weeks. Time depends, I think, on a few factors:
    1) How big the dealership is/how big an allotment they get.
    2) Trim, RES, etc. Don't know what's a longer wait right now.
    3) As indicated above, color! When I called around (and I called AROUND!), silver and GG were easiest colors to get quick, with white next. Other colors I could barely even get an estimated date. What color is yours, liebesi?
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Honda is discontinuing the Granite Green and the Mesa Beige colors. July build cars will be the last for these colors.

Jerry
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I had an interesting experience in a parking lot. When I hit my remote to lock my ODY, I set off the panic alarm on an Accord about 5 cars from my van. I could turn the Accord "panic" on and off with my remote by hitting the "Lock" button on my key fob. It made me wonder how many frequency over laps are out there.
  • bobnybobny Member Posts: 4
    Granite Green or the white color?... I was told Mesa and Teff-white.
    The dealer has a Redrock Pearl on order for me. EX-L RES, he told me he ordered it 1st of May and should be in by the end of June. He did not have a manufacture date yet last time I spoke with him. He said it takes 2 weeks to get to him from the factory. I have a friend with a Silver EX-L on order as well from another dealer. He was told his was being made on May 25th and the dealer expects it on about June 14th. Any other ordering experiences out there currently??
    I forgot again, does the VIN starting with 2 or 5 mean it was built in the new AL plant. I forget which one means Canada. Are both plants still building ODY or has the Canada switched to all Pilots now?
    With apologies to all GG owners, I personally will not miss that color. Too many of them around here already! Other than the Havasu Blue, isn't Honda replacing the d/c'd colors with similar-sounding colors? Like when they switched from Canyon Silver to Starlight Silver, or whatever? I do wish they would bring back the navy blue, that's my vote for all-time best Ody color.

liebesi: haven't verified this myself (we have Canada-built but don't know VIN), but it has been posted in this forum before that 2 is Canadian, 5 is US.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    2 = Canada

5 = US
    thanks! Yesterday I actually saw a truck carrying 6-8 odyessys on it heading for delievery. I had to take a double take since it is a rare sight seeing that many new Odys all together. They were even all different colors not just the usual Biege, Silver, and GG. I saw a few Red ones. Wait! Maybe that is mine heading the wrong direction!!!
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    is white, from my 30 years experance with owning white cars. Before that I had a pretty blue car. That's true anyway for those of us that live in areas that get little snow and lots of sun.

1. It holds up the longest of any color without fading.

2. It is the safest color together with yellow, as other drivers can see your car easier then other colors. It can not be seen well in snowstorms.

3. It keeps your car the coolest in the summer time.

4. It hides the dust well, but is not so good for hiding mud. I have had little trouble with it looking dirty.

5. It can be matched well if you get into an accident. I have always had a perfect match.

6. You don't have to worry when you get a white car how it will look. You already know before you get it. It is so easy, to not have to worry about what color car you are going to get and did you make the right choice.

7. My guess is it is less likely to be stolen. Cars are often stolen to order.

I don't think buying a car with a pretty color does you that much good, but it may. You can not see the color of your car when you are driving it well, and also when it is in the garage. Perhaps others will think better of you, but I haven't noticed that.

Perhaps a pretty color does do a person some good. I will leave that to others. Actual white can be considered a pretty color. I do know that I have had white cars for 30 years and have not seen a disadvantage. I would think it would work particularly well for a minivan versus a sports car.
  • formy3kidsformy3kids Member Posts: 40
    If they are stopping the granite green and the mesa beige, are they replacing them with the sagebrush and sandstone? Anyone know of any new options for the 2003?
  • ladypilotladypilot Member Posts: 20
    They are adding black for the EX-L only, and are also adding a royal blue color for 2003. I don't know the actual name of the blue. I saw these on the color chart at the dealer when I went in the see the Havasu blue.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was walking to my car after a fireworks show a year ago idly clicking the "open" button my remote fob as I often do. It's possible that the owner was near, but I'm pretty sure I was responsible for unlocking the Nissan I was walking by. It's the only time I've hit paydirt though.

Didn't occur to me to hit the emergency button - I'm going to start doing that instead :-) (I'm still using the original battery in the fob for the past 3 years, even with all my extra clicking).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    http://www.hondanews.com/ click on 5/23 new bulletin--- accord, odyssey, crv, acura 1.2 million vehicles

rockycow
    The best thing that Honda did was get rid of the Navy blue. Amen
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Hi,

30K service in 2 weeks on '01 Odyssey EX Navi, my local dealer is asking $269 + tax...we got the HCW 7/100K/0 $925 from a dealer in Delaware...no complaints so far.
  • carrieb2carrieb2 Member Posts: 7
    Where did you here about a Royal Blue coming out in 2003? I asked my dealer before ordering my pearl Red and he said they were not planning any major changes. I am due to pick up my red in mid June but will wait if their truely is a Royal Blue in the works.
  • ladypilotladypilot Member Posts: 20
    I went in to the dealer, and my sales lady showed me the color chart for the 2003 model. I don't remember the exact name of the blue, but it appeared to be a royal blue from that little color swatch.