Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• jmunguiajmunguia Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up an Aviator in Austin, TX using the X-plan pricing. To answer an earlier question, you can get the 4K rebates (and any other factory specials) on top of the X-plan. So far we are very happy. I've owned SUVs of many sizes and shapes from a Rodeo, Grand Cherokee, Durango, LX470, X5, MDX, Sequoia, and have driven an Expedition and Tahoe owned by family members. The Avaitor for us has the best combo of performance, luxury, comfort, and utility.

We have a 2wd premium with Nav and DVD. So far we have about 1K miles with drives to San Antonio and Houston (no towing, 3 kids ages 10,7,5).

1. Performance - It's hard not to like that 300hp 4.6L V8. Sure it drinks lotsa gas - 17mpg on the hw according to the trip computer, 12-14 in mixed driving, but it is fun and eager to be pushed. The suspension settings are also tuned for a sporty but not rough ride. I'd say sportier than and MDX but not quite up there with an X5. Steering is speed sensitive which is a nice touch. Brakes feel is not that great, somewhat mushy until you press hard enough for real good bite but the brakes themselves do a good job.

2. Luxury - Very elegant in an understated way. I've been surprised by this. We have both the butt warmers and coolers - a little gimicky but they do work as advertised. However, the front seatbacks are controlled manually - why is that? Rear DVD player is well integrated with stereo and controls on the touch sensitive LCD screen that also displays nav system. (Except you can't watch DVD movies in the front). Speaking of the NAV system, it's close to the MDX NAV in terms of usability which is saying something.

3. Comfort - For 2-3 hour trips the front seats are just fine. Not as comfy as the big Sequoia but acceptable. Same thing in the back according to my kids - I have to take their word on this - and we did a few 20 hours marathons in the Sequoia. The adjustable pedals are great - my wife who is 5'2" really loves this as she does not have to sit so far forward now. However there is no dead spot for the left foot (or if there is one it is too flat).

4. Utility - For hauling 3 kids and our stuff for a quick two day trip this works great. I've not had to use the fold down seats for loading anything and I doubt I will as I have a pickup for that. My wife who is the primary driver may have to use that on the occasional shopping spree. The split tailgate works great for loading groceries and other small items.

Overall we have been impressed and pleasantly surprised - we have not had any issues or problems (granted its only been a week). I went ahead an bought the Aviator because of the specials, X-plan, and the 3 year maintenance inclusion on the '03. The original plan was to get a Volvo XC90 but X-plan pricing is not available on the XC90, dealer was asking at least MSRP and I had to wait a few months.

-Juan
  • avifanavifan Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know whether the upgraded 2004 NAV
    http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm?vehicle_id=961
    is anything different from the upgraded NAV introduced/announced in April?
    http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=15148&ma- ke_id=93
    is it the THX?
    Al
  • arts1arts1 Member Posts: 1
    I have heard a weird sound from my Aviator a few times .I think it's coming from the overhead rear air vents.I don't think my sound is from tires,because I heard it in a parking lot almost at a standstill.
  • e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    I think it has something to do with the rear air conditioning. Dos it stop when you open the doors?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    e350v10 might have something there. check the vents in the roof and the second row overhead panel. fan might be on even with a/c off. only my kids know how it really works.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • gogoreagangogoreagan Member Posts: 10
    Sure has been quite around here lately.

Can anyone share with me their recent experiences (good or bad) with the Aviator. I am close to pulling the trigger on an 03', but I still may need a little more convincing to seal the deal.

Also, the 6 disc changer premium sound system sounded horrible in the test model that I drove. Not much bass even after adjusting it to max.

Thanks..........Bill
  • topeagletopeagle Member Posts: 5
    In the process of buying '03 Aviator; started in April and had to turn in my leased '02 Navigator on 6-27-03. Ended up ordering Kittyhawk with only the equipment I wanted (Advance Trak &Towing Package). Now dealer can't tell me when it will come in (ordered end of May).
    MSRP $49,250; only discounted to $47,432 plus $2000 for return lease and cash incentive. Who qualifies for the 'X' plan?? Sounds like a better way to go. I have been in the Ford Credit system for the past 8 years with leases and purchases.

Other 'hidden' question above - why can't the dealer find out where my car is, let alone when it will be delivered.

Impressed with all of your knowledge out there, especially - ANT14. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Best friend bought new Aviator in January when I bought my new Navigator. Other than the howling issue mentioned above, which it seems, was in fact, the roof vents being closed with the rear air on, no issues of any consequence. He likes it better than any car he has owned. Former Town Car driver. I haven't heard of anybody who has had problems with their Aviators, and the performance is unsurpassed, 3rd row seat is best in class with IRS underneath. Engine power is also best in class, I think. Mileage is poor, get ready for that. He only gets about 2 MPG more than I do. Don't be afraid of it. If you like the car, buy it.
    X-Plan is for employees whose companies are suppliers or partners of Ford.

Ask to see the invoice and negotiate from there.

Ford also has programs for people with high-profile jobs - such as business owners or realtors.

You can drill down that price to a few hundred dollars over invoice - the same as the X-plan.

Try talking to the fleet department of a different dealer, or send out an RFQ to dealers in your area and see who gives you the lowest quote.
  • topeagletopeagle Member Posts: 5
    Thanks e350v10!! While I have spent a lot of time looking at dealer's stock for the 'right' Kittyhawk, have had a problem with getting this particular dealer to negotiate. They did offer to order one (was ordered)with right equipment but the price still isn't anywhere near what I see in these postings. I will try your suggestions and again - thanks for your time and input!
  • sarmedicsarmedic Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at ordering a '04 AWD Ultimate with pretty much everything on it. How much over invoice should I pay? Live in SOCAL (understand there may be regional differences)

Also, during the test drive of th '03 Kitty Hawk the salesman said something about how after the DVD for the NAV system is running it receives further updates via satellite such that it is continuously updated. This seems to fall in the "too good to be true" category. Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks.
    You should be able to get it for less than $500 over invoice BEFORE rebates. Remember the dealer still makes money on the holdback. Brokers will often get dealers to split the holdback on a quick sale.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html
  • ghengiscghengisc Member Posts: 24
    I'm am waiting for my aviator as we speak. I ordered it on the 20th of May. The normal time for an order is 8-10 weeks. However, if you get a nav system it may take longer. I'm supposed to get my aviator on the 28th of July.
       As far as arrival times, the dealer said that they can't locate the arrival of the car until it has been shipped.
       X-plan: I'm getting mine through the x-plan, plus I am eligible for all rebates. The x-plan is roughly 7% off of the MSRP. There is no negotiation when using the Ford plans but you do get the incentives and a set rate on the financing.
  • narendrannarendran Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the 2003 Aviator, and had a few questions:

1. When do the current year-end offers expire? I've seen different data (7/31 vs. 9/02)

2. Is there any difference between "Advance Trac" and "Interactive Vehicle Dynamics". I see some vehicle data sheets listing the latter.

3. Is the factory Class III/IV trailer tow package option dealer installable afterwards? In looking at dealer inventories so far I've only been able to find my preferred color and other desired options with this option missing, so I'm wondering if that's something that can be added on later? Or does it involve some fundamental vehicle characteristics (like axle ratios and such)?

Thanks in advance for any answers...

Naren.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    you say..."Remember the dealer still makes money on the holdback."

There is a big difference between revenue that is paid months down the road on the parts statement(holdback) and profit. I don't know any dealership that is "making money" with jsut holdabck.... I just wanted to clarify so you don't confuse people.
    Wow, no hitch installed? I thought that was standard on the car! If you're going to put it on later, just make sure the truck comes with a towing package, and that they haven't left that off too. The transmission cooler and larger radiator & fan capacity will be a good thing to have if you're towing.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Released today, sales of the Aviator totalled 2,692 for the month. I mention this because of a previous post long ago on this board, when some doom sayer's in the media stated the Aviator wasn't selling well. So far sales wise the numbers will hit Ford's projections of 25-30K units a year.
    Good article, and I think they pretty much nailed how I feel about the Aviator too. Other than the visibility knock, which I hadn't noticed. OH, and I'm sorry, but I think it rides MUCH better than the X-5, which I really didn't care for at all - and normally, I like BMW.
    Hmmmmm, didn't notice any extra interior space, I think it's in the bumpers, frankly......
  • ghengiscghengisc Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know how to get to the digital clock on the dvd navigation system? I've read the manual which tells me to touch the earth symbol to get to the menu but there is no icon to set the clock like it says. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    When entering in the destination, or selecting POI there seems to be a delay in enabling the buttons. i.e. I have to wait upto 3-5 minutes at times for the buttons to be enabled before I can press them on the screen. Thats annoying. Does that happen to you to?
  • sirknightdsirknightd Member Posts: 96
    1 My 2003 also said interactive vehicle dynamic system on the spec sheet. I would also like to know what this means in relation to the advance trac system.

2. I factory ordered the typeIII/IV hitch. I believe it doesn't involve any different radiator, alternator, or change of axle ratio. If added later( dealer installed) it may not accommodate the factory plastic bumper cover that is standard ( a different cover is supplied when you order this option as the type III/IV protrudes a bit ). As you mentioned it seems that the dealers are routinely not sent vehicles with this option.

3. The Nav system will not let you enter the address of the destination while the SUV is in motion. ( I suspect a safety feature) I also have not seen a digital clock with the nav system on the nav display.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    According to today's Automotive News, an industry trade magazine, the Aviator will be discontinued as early as 2005 due to poor sales.
    Same thing they said about the Thunderbird... But internally, there's something else involved pertaining to the Aviator. Or it could be replaced by something better, but I can't state what yet.
    If you read the article, it states they have spoken to a "few suppliers".... Has enough one thought of, that MAYBE it's because the Aviator will be moved to another factory, therefore, those current suppliers which are CLOSE to the current factory will obviously not be needed.....

This again is media speculation, coupled with the same story months ago that Aviator sales were not as expected, when actually they are almost on target. For some odd reason, the media is just wanting to pick on Ford lately....
    Everybody here who has one, sure seems to like it.
    Oh, this doesn't look good. Comments, ANT? (Notwithstanding your previous comments on the matter)....

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/ford5_20030805.htm
    Yes I read that story yesturday. Originally the Aviator was not to exsist beyond 2006-2007, so having it killed a year ahead of plans, isn't the suprising. There's an internal reason why this topic has been brought to the media. And a few possible senarios occuring. As I stated previously, there's 2 aspects coming into play. Let's not forget the current negotiations with the UAW are taking place (hint).
    I too, love my Aviator. However, when I bought it last November my only comment was that it was about $5K too high in price. I wouldn't have considered it without A-Plan.

What I can't figure out is why the XC90 is still backlogged. Aviators are a great deal compared to a $48K loaded T-6, and even some Navigators are available at the price.
    The Xc90 is backlogged because a bunch of them drowned at sea when a freighter bringing them over, had an accident. Some BMW's, MB's were also on the same ship.
    So the Aviator pricing would hold and the demand would be up if 250 Aviators were dropped into the Mississippi?

The ship sank last December. There must be some other production problems - or it must be a low production vehicle. Volvo still sold 3792 XC90's in May.

Somehow Volvo is simply outmarketing Lincoln - or perhaps people simply want a European 7-seater SUV?
    Just capacity, the factory where the Xc90 produces other Volvo vehicles, not just for the N.A. market, but around the world as well. SO while there's around approx. 3700 sold here in the U.S., they need to build others for other market.

Latest numbers show majority of Volvo's being sold are SUV, or Wagon related. Sedan sales are holding steady, ir not dropping a bit. Versality seems to be a Volvo consumer favorite.
    Maybe they should build Volvos in Hazelwood! The quality might be better. ;)

I think the Aviator is probably the better vehicle of the two - it just doesn't appeal to the same crowd for some reason.
    Worlds apart. Aviator being BOF contruction RWD/4x4 while the Xc90 is Uni-body car based FWD/AWD vehicle. Once the Ford Freestyle debuts, I'm eager to see how that vehicle will be accepted.
    I know they would have to build a new plant - but BMW and Mercedes did it for their SUVs.

Isn't the new Discovery being built on a modified Explorer platform?

I think the Freestyle is going to be a hit.
    Who needs a new plant, Volvo? Nah, Ford has more than enough, if anything they need to CLOSE some. Actually the Volvo S40 will be produced along with the Mazda3, Focus, at the Valencia, Spain plant.
  • ext25ext25 Member Posts: 32
    Remember when the magazine said the Taurus was going to be cancelled....and then we found out that was not true, well ot looks like the rumors in the magazines are wrong again....

"Reports of the death of Lincoln’s Aviator have been greatly exaggerated, insisted Ford Motor Co. COO Nick Scheele, during a discussion with reporters in Traverse City. In recent days, numerous news stories have indicated that Lincoln’s mid-size luxury sport-ute will be pulled from production in 2005, a victim of weak sales. But such reports are “premature,” said Ford COO Nick Scheele, quickly substituting the word, “wrong.” MBS keynote speaker, Scheele stressed “We have taken no such decision on Aviator,” insisting that after a slow start, sales have begun picking up. Through June, he reported, Lincoln has sold about 13,000 of the SUVs, nearly half the 30,000 target for all of 2003. Scheele, meanwhile, countered concerns that Lincoln has lost its direction. Last spring, he told TheCarConnection the luxury brand was rethinking its entire product program following its pull-out from Ford’s Premier Automotive Group. The new lineup is “impressive,” Scheele said, denying that the American luxury unit will simply rely on “badge-engineered” versions of products sold by other Ford divisions."
    Yes, that story is from Car Connection just posted a few minutes ago.
     http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6270

Like I kept saying, alot of media hype with a bias against domestic manufacturer's.
  • ext25ext25 Member Posts: 32
    The Aviator is now selling at a rate of roughly 2700 per month, that works out to be a rate of 32,400 per year, (and that does not even include the sales in Canada.) That sounds pretty close to the 30,000 or so originally estimated.

Of course there was that little war thing that depressed industry sales for a few months, but lets not let facts get in the way.

The media chooses to highlight the early months when the vehicle had not even reached all the dealers and wonder why they weren't selling 2700 per month when the vehicles were still in transit to the dealers.

What a crock!
    Same thing with the Pacifica's sales, the media decided to pick on it as well. They expect that every vehicle sold by the domestic to rack in 100K units for them to find it a success.
  • aviatormanaviatorman Member Posts: 44
    Really I don't look for the Aviator to be around too much longer, it is priced too close to the Nav. You will see the name agian on a new crossover....
    I do agree, the Aviator needs a $5,000 price cut, not because of size, but because of the long list of stuff a Navigator has available, that the
    Avaitor doesn't offer, like the dimming mirror, the folding outside mirrors, the power liftgate, the power folding seats, the power running boards.
  • scout4300scout4300 Member Posts: 1
    "Really I don't look for the Aviator to be around too much longer, it is priced too close to the Nav" This is not unlike the expedition and the explorer
  • allycat520allycat520 Member Posts: 5
    I too have recently heard some weird sounds from my aviator - with the radio on and off, the A/C off and on. It sounds like a duck dying and it is a real random type of thing. I have heard it twice in the past week - but it is really loud. The first time I almost crashed. What could this be? My rear vents are off, is there some type of fix? HELP!!!
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    My wife says shes heard something that sounds like a loud cat, almost like a 'meow' from the rear of the car.
    I've never heard that sound yet. The sound that I have heard, about three times, and always when I am turning the steering wheel is a loud grinding type sound that sounds like its coming from the front axle. Anyway hear this sound, or have any idea what it might be?
    Thanks.
    2003 Aviator- 1600 miles.
    Back a few posts, you'll find my query about this wierd sound in my friend's Aviator. He still has it, it's intermittant, and we still have no clue what it is. Difficult to diagnose because it's so quickly here and gone. Hard to get a dealer to even hear it. So, if anyone out there ever figures out what it is, PLEASE let us all know!! I've never heard of it coming from a Mountaineer, or Navigator. Certainly, it's not in mine, and I have both of those.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    The "dying duck" and "loud cat" descriptions had me falling off the chair! I don't mean to lessen the seriousness of your issue, I hope someone can help. If all else fails try flatratetech.com -- there are Ford/Lincoln mechanics in the forums who've been very helpful to me.

By the way, my navigator does a slight "whine" from behind the stereo system for a few seconds on start-up but goes away when I drive off.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Member Posts: 96
    my first weekend with my aviator i heard helicopter sounds. It was the wind noise from the moon roof open with no other windows opened. I solved it by keeping at least the rear two windows open when the moon roof is open. I hope this helps someone.