Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• stanley03stanley03 Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone having problems with their steering? I have about 10,000 miles on my Aviator and when making hard, slow turns (i.e. parking) I hear this "moaning" sound and at times, the steering wheel shakes. My next step is to take it to the dealership but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Does this noise only occur when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the right or left? If so that's normal - it's the power steering pump. You should not hold the wheel at full lock left or right for more than a couple of seconds (or not at all if possible). It puts a lot of pressure on the pump and hoses.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    I have heard this noise too, and it happens when the wheel is turned all the way to the left or the right.
    Not sure I like the sound, even though its meant to be normal..
    Customer: my car makes a wierd sound when I do this (customer turns wheel all the way to the left).

Mechanic: Then don't do that.

Ford power steering pumps are notoriously noisy - been that way for years. But I believe all cars will do this to some extent.
  • raul69raul69 Member Posts: 28
    Thank you again for taking the time to check your rack. I called the dealer last week and they checked another Avi on the lot and found that it had these rivets I have on the rail. He said he tried to move the front one and could not but had very little explantion. I then called another dealer and this service tech told me that he was familiar with these rivets adn that they were factory preset to this area on the rail. That the crossbars could not be moved beyond this point because of its intentional design. He said this was done to prevent these bars from moved too far forward to prevent load destablization or unbalancing. This was simply a safety issue. Now I am not too sure since you don't have these rivets and are able to move you bars up to about 38 inches. If your front bars can be moved past your rear passenger window area then you probably don't have these rivets. I maximum position I can move my front bars is to the middle of the rear window. I should probably do some more checking on this with other dealers.
    No, the noise is emitted in the process of turning the steering wheel. I think I hear it mostly during hard, slow turns since the road noise is minimal.
    Sorry, I should also add that this is a rather recent problem (last 1000 miles).
    Mine is chrome - came standard on the premium model (2003 2wd). Maybe it's a different type or maybe they made a change to the design along the way. Check the dealer inventory for yourself - especially one with the chrome.
    How do you turn hard slowly??

If it's making a noise before you get to full lock then it's either a bad hose or pump.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Or, your engine is turning at lower than normal revs and stalling out the pump pressure....
  • geniahogeniaho Member Posts: 15
    It has been a while since I posted but I check every day and I have had the steering noise but only on tight backing up turns. I love the kitty and would not change it for any other vehicle. I'm at just about 10 thousand K's and have had nothing but pure enjoyment. One thing though my "A" fell off so on one side I have an Aviator and on the other a "V iator. That's fine because it is a V 8er. It also turns alot of heads.
    Does anyone know if the newest Nav system can be installed into a vehicle that was ordered without it? Might be pricey but I should have got it when I ordered the Kitty Hawk.
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    My name is Al and I live in NYC and on Thursday evening will be the proud new owner of an 04 Ultimate, Mineral Gray with rear bench, DVD, AdvanceTrak and trailer hitch. Got it for 4k under invoice and 7700 under MSRP.

I had been itching to be rid of my 02 RX300 for the past year, and finally pulled the trigger. Came to the Aviator rather late in the evaluation process, and was extremely surprised at the overall package -- excellent ride, strong and pretty refined engine, nifty interior, and much more utility than the RX, which to me, was a elevated soft station wagon (albeit a very nicely appointed one.) Ride was much too soft for my tastes and the body roll and numb steering drove me crazy on my jaunts up the Taconic Parkway -- which for those non-NYers in the crowd is quite tight and winding. It will be nice to be more relaxed behind the wheel ;).

Anyway, I have owned American, German and Japanese luxury wagons and SUVs and think that we Americans now have product that can stand up to the best...if reliability can be maintained. There's some content that I would have liked to see -- auto dimming mirrors and extending visors, for example -- but every car and manufacturer has tradeoffs.

Happy to be back in the domestic camp and am thankful for generous incentives (and Edmunds, too, which really helps level the playing field with the dealers.)

Look forward to participating in the chats.
    The autodimming mirror is available but only with the Navigation system. Go figure.
    Yeah, I can't figure it out.
    You'd figure that plunking down well in excess of 40k, you'd know everything about your purchase, but...sometimes the details slip by.

Does the 2nd row bench seats recline? I know the buckets do, but I forgot to check the bench configuration.

Also, does the radio carry RDS info? I don't believe that it does.

The web site and brochure aren't as informative as others. Good thing for this forum.

Thanks.
    I don't think the bench 2nd row seatbacks recline - they do on the Navigator, but I don't think the Aviator's do. The Radio does carry RDS I believe.
    The Nav system radio definitely has RDS. Not sure about the normal radio.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    2nd row bench setas do recline. Lever on side allows for slight recline.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    electrochromatic mirror will become standard with job#2 (12/03 production)...reverse tilt side mirrors will be dropped.
    Now, that's dumb. That's a great feature, and every Lincoln should have them. It should be a standard feature of the brand. Anybody out there listening????
    Hmm. I wonder if the new mirror can be retrofitted and at what cost.
  • steve00gatorsteve00gator Member Posts: 24
    Probably because they have had to replace most of them already. The two on my Navigator have been replaced already, (10 months) and the passenger side appears to be going again.
  • tallship2tallship2 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a new '03 Aviator (silver with grey interior) and wanted to buy a luggage cover for the rear cargo area. We took out the bottom of the third row seat, which we never would use anyway, so the floor panel is flat and got one of the cargo mats to cover the floor. The dealership here (San Diego) says that Lincoln doen't make the cover! I can clearly see the indents in the interior where the cover is supposed to fit. The really irritating thing is that a $40,000 truck wouldn't come standard with this. My $15,000 '86 Bronco II had one, standard. Does anyone know about this issue with the luggage cover?
    I was told the same. It has to do with the 3rd row seats; there's no place to put the cover.
    Lincoln doesn't offer it because the Aviator comes standard with the 3rd row seats. But the explorer and mountaineer do not and that's probably why the indentions are there. You should be able to get a grey one for an Explorer or Mountaineer and it should fit (again assuming all the holes are still there) - may or may not match the color exactly though.
    The mechanism to tilt the mirrors down for reverse isn't different - it's the same mechanism used to adjust the mirror for the memory features. The computer knows the position of the mirror and can move it automatically. The fact that the mirror is defective should not have anything to do with the reverse feature - that should just be software.

Maybe it's the repeated movement that's bringing out a flaw in the mirror so by not moving it so much it will be less likely to happen.
  • tallship2tallship2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, akirby for the info. It doesn't make sense, however, that just because there is a third row seat, some people wouldn't want to fold it down and carry packages that they wouldn't want to have in plain view, IMHO. I'll try the dealership to see if a Mountaineer cover will fit.
    It may also interfere with the 2nd row bucket seats ability to recline. Probably easier to just leave it out. Curious to know how they handle it on the explorer w/3rd row seat. My guess is you don't get one there either.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    October sales figures came in this weekend, the Aviator sold 2630 units. 23,988 for the year so far, and 2 month's left. Ford will definatly meet it's initial sales target of 25,000 units, it's safe to say.
  • georgefarmergeorgefarmer Member Posts: 98
    Has any of those with the rear end whine type noise had the cause found? The noise starts in the 50's until the 60's then stops and also stops when you let off the gas. We have had two differentials put in and the noise is back. can be quite loud in the rear seats and probably will get worse. The dealer has us on hold while hey hope for a report to come in on how to fix.
  • mlwlkmlwlk Member Posts: 10
    Hi georgefarmer: Sorry to hear that installing a new Rear End Differential (R.E.D.) failed to solve the problem of your Aviator's Rear Axle Whine (R.A.W.)! I currently have 6,000 miles on my Aviator and have had it in once already for the same problem. The dealer advised me to be patient while Ford Motor Company tries to figure out what the "fix" is. My plan was to take it in again at 9,000 miles and if they didn't have the official "fix" figured out yet, to insist that they replace the R.E.D. with a brand new one. But after hearing your story, I'm not sure what to do.

Does anybody out there have any educated estimate as to what percentage of 2003 Aviators have the R.A.W. problem? Have any 2004s reported the R.A.W. yet?

Has anybody out there been successful in solving the R.A.W. problem? If so, how did you do it?

HELP?????
    Guess we are in same boat. Our dealer has said to wait until 12/10. Why!!! We have had two differential and they only get one more try under SC Lemon law. They will not let us talk to a customer rep. so we may try state consumer complaint dept. We are really unhappy with this situation. Please let us know what you have found and we will do the same. You can email me at gf@naturalproperties.com
  • mrt9mrt9 Member Posts: 6
    I have been silently following the discussions about the rear axle whine. No one has indicated whether it occurs in 4WD or 2WD or both. It'd be helpful to have this info.

Also, is it something we should begin to watch (listen) for when reaching a certain mileage? (I only have 1200 miles on my 2WD)

Can it be heard by the driver or only in 2nd or 3rd row passenger seats?
    I have it - 2WD and you can hear it everywhere. It's not mileage related - ours started within the first 1000 miles. I can live with it until they get a fix for it.

georgefarmer - what exactly do you expect them to do about it? They have a problem and they have not yet figured out how to permanently correct it. Sometimes these things are not easy to fix and even if they know how to fix it they have to make the change and get the new parts into production before they'll have parts available. I've seen Lincoln handle these types of issues on the LS and I can assure you they're trying and they will get it fixed, but it may take a few months.

Complaining about it won't make the engineers work any faster.
    I picked up my new '04 Aviator Ultimate a week ago today, but did not really get to inspect it closely until last Sunday (being a NYC resident, I dont get to see my car until the weekend.) I was surprised to find that it did not have the Audiophile 6 CD changer, but rather the "optional" single CD/Cassette. I was never told by the dealer that this was an option, and it is not clear in Lincoln literature that you can get less stereo than you pay for with the Ultimate package, if you aren't careful.

I have called my salesperson to complain...he was clueless...as well as Lincoln Customer Service, which has not been very helpful...yet. I am going to escalate the issue gradually.

Does anyone know if the Audiophile can be easily swapped out for the single/cassette? The head unit size seems to be the same. Also, any advice on how to deal with Lincoln or the dealer would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Ours is 2WD, started the first week we had it. To the fellow who said what should they do. After they put in the first differential the whine was back with a day or two. The whine got so bad you really could not stand to sit in the rear seat. Their mechanic said it may be dangerous to drive and needed to be fixed. So they put in the second differential which I appreciate hwoever the whine is back, not as bad yet but we expect to to be back to the terrible stage in a week or two. I did not pay $40,000 for a vehicle to do this type of thing. We have had it in the shop 21 days since July. They will either find a way to fix it or replace the vehicle. I cannot see why this is so hard. It's not curing Cancer. There are plenty of Aviators with the problem so just have the engineers looks at the defective parts and see where the wear is and go from there. This much noise will leave a mark on the gears or bearings, I am sure.
  • lee1000lee1000 Member Posts: 10
    Mine is an AWD and has had the problem since day one. Incidentally, I drove a brand new 2004 last week..also an AWD and it has the same problem. They have not solved it yet. Good luck.
  • avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    akirby....in addition to the constant howlling coming from the rear end.....

does he or anyone else have any clues about

the intermittent whooping noise that also emerges from the back of the vehicle, sometimes ending in a loud ginding noise (#808,809,826)
    or
    the rear window, styro-foam squeak-if you slam it really hard you can sometimes stop this one
    or
     the metal lid, tin-metal hinge sound you hear if you corner a little hard

or (here's one from the front-end)

In the morning, when you put the vehicle in reverse you hear grinding noise from the engine compartment on the passenger side-sounds like the engine will fall out

does he know how to fix these noises?

Hopefully, I am getting my track assembly replaced tomorrow so at least the driver seat won't be loose anymore. I am pretty disapointed in the vehicle and only 4300 miles on it.
  • hapstar1hapstar1 Member Posts: 6
    avfan2,

At how many miles did all of those things start? Those sound pretty bad bro.

Anyway, I have the same seat problem. When I start from a stop the seat sometimes moves back the slightest bit....kind of annoying. Did they straight up replace the track or did they try to "tighten" something and then it wasn't fixed and you had to return?
    I haven't experienced any of the other problems you mentioned. Unless these are widespread, common problems the engineers won't know about it. Sounds like you got a lemon unfortunately. Check your lemon laws in case they can't fix it.
  • avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    All of the noises were there from day one, because some are intermittent I didn't hear them the first day or week. The intermittent "whoooo-up" tends to show up during longer trips i.e. after an hour or two of highway driving. Also, the front-end growl only began as the temperature began to drop into the "cool morning" range.

Regarding the seat track assembly....I just had them order the part, didn't even give them the opportunity to do any diagnostic work because I live 100 miles from the closest dealership. The parts person I spoke with said it was a safety concern and expedited it. However, the part has still not arrived, so now maybe this Saturday I can get the work done.
  • jmez44jmez44 Member Posts: 26
    Anyne have any Advance Trac problems yet? My model is a 2003 AWD model. Once i backed down a driveway and the Advance Trac light came on and stayed on for a few minutes. Seemed like a trans issue. Then just recently i was going about 60mph on a local highway and went to get off on an exit, and my brakes acted like ABS on dry pavement. Stop and go type of thing, all the meanwhile the Advance Trac was flashing. It was hard to come to a stop with the intermittent brake pressure, but i finally forced it to. Anyone have any ideas what caused this? Other then this, I love my new vehichle.
    Sounds like a bad sensor or wiring problem. Have the dealer check it - there may be a stored code.
  • interested4interested4 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any problems with the rear window opening while driving? Would love to hear if and how you resolved the problem.
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Just picked up my wife's new Aviator - what a ride!! Traded in her 2003 Mountaineer - no problems, just loved the looks of the Aviator (esp interior - Ford really got it right). Ordered it in Ceramic Tri-coat, with Rear DVD player, roof crossbars, trailer package, 40/20/40 seats, Nav system (very neat), moonroof, chrome wheels and Advance trac. Unfortunately, i cant buy it on the X plan, but i felt like i got a good deal - list of $ 53,800; i paid 45,800 w/rebate. if anyone lives in Boston area, try Pride L-M in nearby Lynn - this is my 3rd purchase in 4 years and each time was a pleasure. I'm in sales, but i shudder at the thought of pulling up to one of those turnover stores where 15 sales staff are watching you get out of your car to give you the hard sell! Anyway - best feature on the Aviator - Nav system (cant wait to try it on a long trip). BTW- does anyone out there know where i can buy a mat for the cargo area (big enough for when the 3rd seat is down)? Ford doesnt offer one.
    Just out of curiosity - why did you get the bench 2nd row seats? The 2nd row buckets were one of the main reasons we went with the Aviator.

Sounds like a decent price.
    We have a seven month old - and with the second row buckets (which btw i would have preferred), when you have a baby seat installed, you can only fit one other adult in the back seat. I need to keep the 3rd seat folded for cargo, and probably wouldnt put an adult back there anyway. BTW - has anyone out there removed the 3rd seat cushion to enable the cargo area to fold flat? The dealer said it was possible (unlike in the Mountaineer).
    I have removed the third row seat bottom. It is simple to do, just find the tabs. Also opted for the second row bench, because with two tots, the wife occasionally needs to ref back there. She says it's quite comfortable (the seat, anyway.)
  • raul69raul69 Member Posts: 28
    You may have inadvertainly depressed the blue rear window button on the remote either when you first parked and exited the vehicle or when you re-entered the vehicle. When this is done the rear window just disengages but does not fully open until you drive away. This exact thing happened to me. You could even unlatch while your driving just by pressing the this button.Hope this helped.
    Found a website that offers rear carpeted mat for the Aviator (with 3rd seat folded down) - GG Bailey.com. Price was $90 plus shipping - hope it fits!