Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Out The Door (OTD) Pricing questions

1235»

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Is it an auto or manual?
    Is it an S-Type or just standard?
    Does it have leather?

Give me a bit more info and I could probably tell you about what they own it for depending on your region.

Give me what color and where the vehicle is located too.
  • skantor8885skantor8885 Member Posts: 8
    It is dark red five speed automatic, with grey leather seats. It is located in avon Ct, im not sure what there zip is but mine is 06786 and the dealer is 12 miles away from me so that should be a decent estimate of region. I would really appreciate some help.
    Oh man that car is actually right next to my dealership.

I am on my way out to pick up a clients car for service but when I get back I will give you some numbers.

That is so funny.
    Yeah that would really help, i don't suppose you could also give me a guess at about how long they have had the car out there?
    I don't remember exactly when that car popped up on their lot but it has been a while. Maybe as much as a month I am not sure.

Very interesting car. Straight addition for the low miles and leather by Galves puts the car at about 16,500 but you can't really straight add the miles for this car cause the miles are so low.

The car is an outlier to use statistical speak.

My gut tells me they own it for less then 16,500 but I don't know how much less. Maybe 14,800 or 15,200 something like that.

Do you know if it was a trade in or if they bought it at auction?

Typicaly a vehicle that was traded in on another car carries a stock number something like this 12345A or 12345B with the 1234 part being the stock number of the car that the used car was traded in on.

If they took it in trade they probably paid a little less then they would have if they bought it at auction.

You never mentioned if it was certified or not either so that would add 1000 or so dollars to the cost of the car.
    I found the car you were talking about online.

Stock number tells me it was a trade in and the carfax tells me they have had it since April, 6th. I would guess they run a 60 days or longer turnover on their used cars since they have not dropped the price. They are still asking way to much for the car probably thinking someone looking for a RSX might pay the extra to get the low miles.

I would go in during a slow time in the week take the car for a drive really look it over and see if you can get them to name a number. Don't ask too soon though I hate when I am talking to someone outside about a car and they want me to name numbers before they have even sat in the vehicle. Their is a time for asking for a price and that is much to early to do it.

If they won't offer any number up or won't discount too much off the car then offer like 15,800 or something and see what they do.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    $19K for a 2002 RSX seems EXTREMELY high.

We bought a new 2003 base RSX with leather seats for $20500 out-the-door in October 2003. That price included everything - transportation, sales tax of 3%, DOC fee, tag, title, etc.

From reading the posts in Clubrsx.com, I get the impression that a lot of young people drive their cars very, very hard. Not sure I would want a used one.

The car is joy to drive and, with the hatch and rear seats that fold down, is also very practical. What a wonderful car!
    Just for curiosity, what state is that in?
    Thanks for all the help so far, my Uncle and I are going to look at the car this week if it is still there. So since i am new at dealing wiht dealerships, what should i expect to have added on as hidden fees. Tax at 6%, but whats a reasonable document fee, registration fee. What other fees should i look out for. i would hate to haggle and get what i think is a sweet offer, and then have to walk away when the fees bring it up over the amount i can shell out.
    We are in Virginia.
  • yvette0179yvette0179 Member Posts: 4
    How do I get that figure?
    What figure? An OTD price you plan to offer?

You do some research to determine what the cars are selling for. Then you decide on a price you are willing to pay, add in the sales tax (3% in VA) and tag/title fee (about $50 in VA), and you have an OTD price.

Then you go to a dealer who has the car you want and make an offer. Simple as that.
  • yvette0179yvette0179 Member Posts: 4
    I hope you can help me. Cause I feel quite overwhelmed. I am looking at a 2006 Mazda Tribute S Auto - No options. The Invoice price is 21703 plus 590 destination charge for a total of 22293. I figure I should pay between that and the MSRP (23790) to be realistic. So I offer 23100 which would mean a profit of 800 or so for them. Make any sense?
    Before we made an offer to buy a Honda Accord last year, I went to the 'Prices Paid' forum and tried to determine how much others were paying. I was amazed that some people claimed they were buying Accords for $500 under invoice.

We computed an OTD price based on $500 under invoice, went to a Honda dealer, made an offer, and they accepted.

I have no idea how much Tributes are selling for, so I can't say if your offer makes any sense at all.

From my experience, the TMV price here at Edmunds is way too high.

Of course, your offer will probably be refused. If you walk out, there is a good chance they will change their mind and accept your offer. That's how it has been with our last three car purchases.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I believe the Tribute is being discontinued by Mazda at the end of this year. So, I think you can do a lot better than $800 over invoice.

Check out "Negotiation Strategies" and "Buying Tips" in the Smart Shopper boards. Consolidate everything you read into your own personal method on how to buy cars. If you try to decide whos advice to take from the thousands of posts, you'll go nuts.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I believe the Tribute is being discontinued by Mazda at the end of this year.

There will not be a Tribute for model year 2007 but it will return in early 2007 as a 2008 model...but like you mentioned, good deals can easily be found....Especially this month without any 3 to sell.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    audi - will there be an MPV for model year 2007?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Not in the US.
  • mavenonemavenone Member Posts: 2
    I signed 'Retail Buyers Order' for a Vehicle at a TN dealer that is "in-transit".

This is what the buyers order says.

MSRP: 31800.00
    Business Tax: 96.60
    Doc Fee: 399.00
    sub-total: 32295.60
    state sales tax: 2260.00
    Local sales tax: 80.00
    License Fee: 117.00
    Temporary Tag: 5.50
    -------------------------
    Total: 34758.00
    Rebate: 1250.00
    -----------------------------
    Total (after rebate): 33508.79

What is confusing us is tax percent in TN is 9.25%, but 2260 tax is 7.1% of 31800?

I don't know what they mean by by business tax.

Can someone explain these numbers?

Thanks in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I believe that the state sales tax in Tennessee is 7%. The 9.25% you quoted may include county and/or municipal sales taxes that may not be figured into your purchase.

This is how the numbers work out:

0.07×$32,295.60 = $2,260.69

which looks like you paid state sales tax on the business tax (double taxation!).

Can anyone verify?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rb94burbrb94burb Member Posts: 4
    I'm shopping for a 2003 Ford Excursion and have a question regarding edmunds.com's TMV. Are these values realistic and do a majority of dealers actually use these values when selling a used car? I found an 03 Excursion online but waited to make an offer so I could research what a fair offer would be. The dealer's advertised price was $22,000. During this time the dealer sold the truck to another dealership which in turn listed the truck for $26,000. Folllowing the TMV customized appraisal I called and spoke to the dealer's internet manager and made an offer of $16,500 and explained to him how I came about this figure, the internet manager informed me that he could not sell the truck for less than $25,000 and to call back when I was ready to make a realistic offer. The TMV seemed very low to me considering what the truck was listed for. I expected the dealer to mark the truck up to 15%, $3,300 from the $22,000, of the listed price not 20 to 25&. So is the TMV realistic and are markups usually this high? Apologize's for the long post!
  • rjmerrymanrjmerryman Member Posts: 7
    I'm researching newer used cars and finding that in many cases the advertised value is already lower than or equal to the TMV dealer retail recommended by Edmunds. Some examples:
    - 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 23K mi, Certified, at $17,500 by both
    - 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, 20K miles, Certified, at $17,567 by Edmunds, only $17,495 by dealer
    - 2007 Mazda Touring i 5-Door, 32K mi, not certified, at $17,400 by Edmunds and only $13,988 by dealer
    - 2007 Ford Fusion SE, 23K mi, not certified, at $13,717 by Ed, only $12,987 by dealer

All are listed as one-owner vehicles.

I usually use Edmunds TMV price as a target to talk the dealer down to but what do I do in these cases where the dealer is already below TMV? Is it a sign that there's something wrong with the car (especially the big difference with the MAzda 6) or just a sign of the times? I have no trade to work with, so what should I use as a fair price to accept? Ask the dealer to drop $500? $1000? $1500?

Appreciate any opinions - thanks!
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    The TMV values are very good for new cars ,but for used cars they are grossly inflated and overpriced. A rough estimate would be to try to get the Edmunds private party value or somewhere between the trade in price and the private party price. That IMO is much more reasonable.
    Also I would not add many options while calculating Edmunds used car TMV. These options dont add up so much on a used car. Trying pricing the Edmunds TMV using just the trim level you want to buy and dont tick off too many options-- Just select the price for that trim level and I think you will get prices closer to the dealers' listing price. :shades:

When I was buying my car-- I too noticed that Edmunds used car TMV is way too high especially when you select the available options!! ;)
  • rjmerrymanrjmerryman Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice!
  • bodibodi Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    I am trying to get OTD pricing by email (new car). I have asked 3 dealers. They keep emailing saying they cannot contact me by phone,I don't want dealers ringing all hours of the day. I keep asking for the quotes in writing, they just won't do it.
    Is this normal or do I shop elswhere?
    Thanks.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Yeah, it's normal. Most dealerships use that "free price quote" stuff to get you into their dealerhship, or to get you on the phone... where they will talk you into coming to their dealership. They don't want you to shop their numbers. You can try other dealerships, some out there will actually work with you via email. Or, you could look at dealerships inventory (online) and be specific on what particular car you want to buy when emailing. Or, you can figure out what you want to pay and make an OTD offer via email.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    I emailed a local dealer for a price quote OTD today and this is the response:

Dealer: The M.S.R.P. IS: $24,795.00 and the Purchase Price would be: $23,794.00 (OTD)

Me: Does the 23,794 otd price include fees and TTL? If so can you itemize these numbers?

Dealer: This price does not include Sales tax, titling or licenses fees. That is your responsibility to handle that through your local Dept. of Revenue. the Sales tax amount is determined on where you live.

Me: Facepalm.

Even to this day, salesmen cant figure out what OTD means.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Did you tell them where you live?
    Did you tell them if you were transferring the plates or getting new?

It all may make a difference.

They gave you their OTD price. The other stuff is up to you in their eyes.
  • theeegodtheeegod Member Posts: 53
    I am in NJ and looking to finance a vehicle. This will be my first time. What fees tagged onto the sale price of a vehicle are okay and which ones scream scam? Comments from people in NJ are much appreciated. Thanks.