Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• shipcutshipcut Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a noise when I drive 40+ mph. My dealer says it's from the cross bars. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    I have found that places like Jify Lube don't do the oil changes right. Their people are very young and not well trained and also don't know your car because they have to work on so many different kinds. I have had them miss grease fittings may times and once add a quart too much oil

The dealers people don't do that. I use the dealer for everything except things like, batteries,tires,shock absorbers,mufflers. For thoughs things you can get a better deal else where.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Did you see the J.D. Powers ratings of the most reliable cars. Lexus was #1, Honda was #8 for the Accord and Odyssey. They were rated on fewest number of complaints per units sold. Chevy,GMC,Dodge,Chrysler, Volvo and VW were in the bottom of the list.
  • carguy1000carguy1000 Member Posts: 8
    Several Honda Dealers have "Express Lube" programs set up to get you in and out of the dealership in minimal amounts of time. You have obviously spent a great deal of time researching and waiting for your Honda, why would you jepordize it by bringing it to someone who does not know or care about servicing it correctly?
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Can you please provide a link? The JD Power dependability ratings I've seen did not break down reliability by model, only by manufacturer. They also didn't show the positions of any company below average. I know these ratings can be had if you are a subscriber (VERY costly), so I'd be interested to know if it's on the web somewhere. I do know that the initial quality ratings are often published by model, but Odyssey is behind a lot of its competition and barely above average there (http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirh17_20000517.htm). I also know Consumer Reports has dropped its reliability projection to just "Average" for Odyssey, based mostly on surveys that were much worse than average for the 1999 model year. It's my impression that recent-year Honda vehicles like Civic, Accord and CR-V are probably the ones balancing the lesser ratings for Passport and Odyssey. In any case, the difference from top to bottom these days in quality and reliability surveys isn't nearly as large as it used to be.

Also, it's worthwhile to note that the most recent JD Power dependability rating is from surveys for 1996 model year vehicles, which would be the previous generation in the case of the Odyssey. The JD Power site does list the Odyssey as a top minivan in 1996, though it doesn't give a problem rate for it.
  • ktongktong Member Posts: 6
    To carguy1000,

There is no guarantee that the Honda dealer will do the oil change right either!

Once I took my car to have the "Express Change". When I was driving home I heard strange noises after
    the oil change. I got home and open the hood, the honda "tech" did not put the oil filter cap back on!!

Luckily there was no damage, I called the dealer immediately and complained. At least they
    gave me two free subsequent oil changes.
  • doepeldoepel Member Posts: 20
    I have had success stopping the sliding doors from rattling by making adjustments for a tighter fit against the rubber door seals. Each sliding door has two black cone shaped posts (male ends). These are used the guide the doors into the proper close position for a good seal up front. A latch is used in the back of the door, but this does not need to be adjusted unless many miles of van.

To adjust the doors for a tighter fit (less rattles and road noise), use a 10mm socket to untighten the female receivers of the cone shaped posts. Then slide them towards the van interior and retighten. When you close the doors, there will now be a tighter fit. Also it helps to lubricate the rubber door seals with silicone spray. To adjust the back of the sliding doors for rattles, there is a black rubber stop located towards the door bottom which has a cork screw thread. It can be turned counter-clockwise to make better contact with the interior post and keep the back of the sliders from bouncing over bumps.
  • siyasiya Member Posts: 5
    Just replaced the Freestone Affinity tires that came on '99. They seemed worn prematurely and in this year's snow were not confidence-inspiring. New Michelins made tremendous difference: much improved handling(of course,they're new)and much quitter. Good-bye for good to Firestone.
  • piglet1piglet1 Member Posts: 4
    After 30K on my 99 Ody EX (2 years of commuter driving) and most everything is fine. Brakes need new pads and 2 tires have major tread wear. Seems a little premature to have to replace tires already. I think this is because of the high profile and weight of the vehicle.

Other small things: new windshield needed after flying rock hit it. ($300 repair). Some early dashboards squeaks that worked themselves out. Roof rack part that has flown off twice. Occasionally the doors act up and won't close all the way. This has happened more that half dozen times and always goes away when you wipe the track with a cloth. Overall, I am pleased.
  • rlam1rlam1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 01 OD with about 1K miles. I have been getting 20 - 22 mpg combined driving. I got 24 mpg (driving 65 - 80 mph) going up the mountains to keno NV from the SC Bay Area. This was using super unleaded. Coming back down the mountains, got 27 mpg (mostly downhill) use regular unleaded. There is a power difference when using super and regular. You could definitely feel the difference driving through the mountains.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    Reporting back on my newly-installed "2001 fog lights"...

The lights were straightforward to install. However, I way-underestimated the amount of time it took. I love the new appearance of the front-end with the new lights. The lights, like most other fog lights, produces a wide-area beam with a shorter projection than the headlights. The light pattern covers almost 180 degrees from side-to-side. They complements the headlights well. I am happy about them. I got them from Trevor of Hondaaccessory.com.
  • jrburroughsjrburroughs Member Posts: 2
    I've spent close to an hour looking for a post I saw sometime ago that had about 5 online Honda Parts ordering companies. One in particular had free shipping. If anybody remembers the links or the specific posting I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
  • dave84dave84 Member Posts: 75
    "I am experiencing a noise when I drive 40+ mph. My dealer says it's from the cross bars. Does anyone have any ideas?"

Yes: remove the cross bars. If the noise is not there when you drive 40+ mph, the dealer was right. Problem solved.
  • denise32denise32 Member Posts: 3
    Timothyadavis #412 yes, you are correct; MSRP & invoice are different. What is important to remember is the credit union directory lists certified dealers agreeing to "no hassle deals" for members, at least in Houston, that is. Certain requirements from both member and dealer must be met. Members must arrange financial matters ahead of time and must speak directly to the representative on the list. In order for dealers to stay on the master list they must offer no hassle deals and treat customers satisfactorily, otherwise they do not remain on the list for long. What the dealers lose in commission they gain in volume and in advertising. Also the dealer knows that the customer's credit is worthy and no time will be wasted on customers whose credit falls short. (I was advised of these stipulations from both the dealers and my credit union.) Most dealers cooperate and everybody tends to win. I have kept up with these lists and those dealers that are tried and true have remained on for many years. (I tend to visit them and these dealers tend to brag on that fact and they should. It's tough to stay on the list.) Based on my experience, if the dealer is on the master list they will work off of the invoice price. If the dealer is not on the credit union list but realizes you are Internet savvy and have done your homework, they will then work off of the MSRP price. Those dealers making the grade (I guess I'll put in a plug for them) are Goodson Honda and Spring Branch Goodson Honda. The other Honda dealers that I visited that were not on the list would not honor the no hassle deal and were also a bit uncongenial. They shall remain nameless.

Binkybarnes #420 & others. It never dawned on me to place myself on multiple waiting lists. (Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?) I would be too scared that some loophole would prevent me from getting my deposit back. Didn't you have to place a deposit to be on a waiting list? I got the impression from these dealers that the waiting list and the ordering list were synonymous and involved a $500 deposit. But really, isn't there always someone to purchase one if I back out on a deal?
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    With an Odyssey, there is ALWAYS someone waiting to take your spot on a waiting list if you back out of a deal. Remember, it isn't a deal until you sign a purchase order. I was on three different waiting lists, and all the dealers required a deposit. As long as it is in writing that the deposit is fully refundable at the buyers discretion, there should be no problem in getting on multiple lists. The first dealer to produce the van in the color I wanted got the sale, since all three were selling at the same price.
  • carguy1000carguy1000 Member Posts: 8
    Mistakes happen, even in the best shops. If your Honda was damaged due to this mishap, guess who stands behind it?
    If Jifffylube makes the same mistake, guess who will not stand behind it?
  • del910del910 Member Posts: 3
    need some help, what are the new logo (ss) on the odyssey ex 2001 is it now called ss instead of the ex, and changes if any, interested in the ex 2001. gave up when they first came on the market to (pricey) and now glad to see some better by.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    SS is abbreviation for new color Satin Silver.

Unless of course Honda is dropping the 8 cyl from the RL into the Ody. :-)
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    One of my favorite parts on the old Ody/Windstar discussion was the Stolzie Vs Dad reports. Thanks for posting another one and I'm happy that it is working out well for both of you.

Carl Keehn
  • vlipscombvlipscomb Member Posts: 1
    We will be purchasing a Honda Odyssey in the near future. Has anyone had any dealings with Honda dealerships in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area?
  • cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    To: alt.autos.honda; rec.autos.makers.honda
    Subject: Accord ABS (Antilock Braking System): DEFECT????

I'd like to know if HONDA ACCORD and ODYSSEY owners have experienced the FAILURE of the major components in their ANTILOCK BRAKING SYSTEM. I am looking into failures especially on the early to mid-90's model years. I own a 1995 Honda Odyssey which has only 60,000 miles on it. The ABS accumulator and modulator need to be replaced at a cost of $1400. I note many, many such complaints in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) database of owner complaints. I see some as early as the same year of purchase, but most in the 1995 model year seem to be occurring in the year 2000. Please help me identify a trend in these DEFECTIVE components. Send me an e-mail with the answers to the following questions.

1) What make and model do you own?
    2) Have you had failure in one or more components of the ABS?
    3) If so, which components have failed?
    4) At what mileage did your failure occur?
    5) What was the total cost incurred or quoted?
    6) What symptoms did you have prior to or at the time of failure?
    7) Was your regular braking ability affected?
    8) Did you ABS dash indicator light come on intermittently or constantly?
    9) Did you note longer stopping distances or brake pedal to the floor?
    10) What has been Honda's response to your premature ABS failure?
    11) Have you received any assistance from Honda in the costs of repair?
    12) Have you been told that components are on NATIONAL BACKORDER?
    13) Has the dealership suggested the replacement of seals vs. use of rebuilt components?

PLEASE e-mail your information as soon as possible. If you have had this failure, please petition the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to open a formal investigation. This is a safety issue. While you might be told that the ABS failure will not affect your regular braking ability, this has not been the case for many owners. Accidents have been reported to the NHTSA. Put PRESSURE on the NHTSA to investigate FULLY on your behalf.

U.S. Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigations 1-800-424-9393
    NSA-10.01 1-888-327-4236
    400 7th Street, SW http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Washington, D.C. 20590

Center for Auto Safety
    1825 Connecticut Ave., NW
    Suite 330
    Washington, D.C. 20009-5708 http://www.autosafety.org

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • daveh11daveh11 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my driver's side door was covered with ice and would not open. I gave it a good tug and the door handle came right off. It was not an excessive tug. The parts are back ordered and they can't tell me when I'll get it fixed. If you own a new Odyssey be careful.
  • mictjmictj Member Posts: 3
    The website is www.hondapartsforyou.com

I ordered the trunk well insert, got it with no problems, it was also the cheapest.
    I was wondering who you represent. Are you a lawyer who plans to bring a suit or are you a private citizen?
  • kurt2001kurt2001 Member Posts: 2
    For post 476. We got our 2001 od. from John Eagle Honda on lemmon ave in dallas,Anthony Hickman was the salesman.We were on 3 lists.Eagle,Huggins and MacDavid,all $500 dep. msrp no extras.Eagle said they had one coming in about ten days, thought it was a pitch just to get us in there list.But about nine days later Anthony called with a Vin#.We stayed on the other lists just in case.I also got a list of honda dealers around the state and called many of them, did not get on list but let them know what we wanted.Had some of them call back saying they had LXs come in and one had a unspoken for EX but wrong color.So get on multiple list and call around.Test drove one at MacChurchill Honda in FTW, was treated great by them but by the time we were ready to by they had a 2 month wait. Wanted to buy from the salesman there,Isiac Perez,he was VERY nice,but did not want to wait.Anyway have had our 2001 msb Ex for about a month and Love it, no problems.Every once in awhile I walk out to the garage to take a peek at it.Cant believe how nice looking it is. Good luck. All deposits are refundable,put it on a credit card over the phone.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    You can find a posting listing Honda parts sites on the delphi odyssey forum.
  • jacknhedyjacknhedy Member Posts: 1
    we love our 2 week old ody, EXCEPT that at inclines or uphills, going about 25 to 45 mph, we can hear this spinning-scraping sound coming from the lower front side. do any of you have any ideas? it spent 2 days at the dealer, and it's still there. thanks a lot. jack
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Here's the info:

TGIF! You are invited to come have fun with us...Join us in car trivia and chat!

"FRIDAY FREEWAY"
    Car Chat
    Date: Every Friday (except Holidays)
    Time: 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET

About This Chat
    This chat is an open chat with hosts and members with similar interests to meet, chat, play trivia and talk cars (or whatever you
    want to talk about!) This is YOUR chat...come join in!

Click here!
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/chat/freewaychat110300.html

We look forward to seeing you!

Dana S. Livingston
    Manager, Community
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    Did you buy the 3 Stooger's limited edition??
    Pull off the other handle, and it's theft proof.
    Wonder why parts on back order - perhaps you are not the only one?! Good luck getting in the parts.
  • kalabawkalabaw Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know about the reverse camera available for the Odyssey? I saw this on one of the sites in Japan. Thanks
    I've asked the same question on the Delphi site with no answer. There are a number of extras only available over there. I can't get Honda to answer my emails so we will have to wait and see if they will offer these items over here.
  • rvsnvrvsnv Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 TW LX with the factory cassette player. I also have a Honda CD player from my 97 Accord that I am planning to sell. Was wondering if this CD player would fit the Ody? Any tips on removing the CD player from the Accord would also be appreciated.
  • dwillia4dwillia4 Member Posts: 17
    Are you the same Charlene Blake that sued Chrysler several years ago over problems you were having with the Dodge Caravan anti-lock brakes? Do you actually own an Odyssey now?

Just curious..
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Get a weight distributing hitch. It will keep the towing vehicle level.
  • tbrown_4tbrown_4 Member Posts: 27
    I remember reading about that Charlene Blake several years ago! It appears that she is the same Charlene Blake. After reading your post, I did a search on her name on excite and yahoo and found that her posts are on many car sites and with the same style and intent. It appears that Charlene either has very bad luck or loves to find trouble with all vehicles.

-Todd
    It seems that Charlene Blake may have found a way to make some money, by suing auto companies and threatening them with a class action law suit if they don't pay her to go away. Or she could be a lawyer who makes money filing class action law suits. That could raise the cost of Odysseys.

I think she should tell us, as I asked her in my previous post,just what her intentions are.
  • ihatemsrpihatemsrp Member Posts: 2
    I took my 01 LX on its first road trip. I was on Penn Turnpike to western Pa from Maryland. I got 22-25 MPG. I drove 65-70 MPH mostly. There was lots of snow in Pa and I drove on snow-packed local roads. I drove slow and had no problems with handling. TCS was on, but I don't think it kicked in as I drove pretty slow. Van was coated with salt/slush when I returned, just washed it off. I was able to get 2 kids + wife plus all Christmas goodies in the van without stowing rear seat. I was impressed. I installed a TV/VCR console from Best Buy and it worked great for kids
  • fast93serfast93ser Member Posts: 11
    I'm so jealous. :) We'll be eating macaroni and cheese for the next month now that I picked up my GG '01 EX today. How much was the TV/VCR? Can it be seen from the third seat ok? I really don't want a flip down TV.

Maybe I won't have to collect aluminum cans and sell blood to buy a TV now.
    You said "TCS was on." Is that because you turned it on? I wonder because it sounds like you turned it on. You should know that TCS is always on. The button turns it off. I'm sorry if you knew that but it is not obvious and I thought you may want to know.
  • lumanskilumanski Member Posts: 39
    Respongin to post #479, I could not access this page. It said I did not have permission. How to i get permission?!!
  • alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    Just took my 01 EX for test snow drive. We had 17" of snow yesterday, some of it still laying on the roads.

The car performed very well, TCS kicking in on uphills on packed snow. The ABS system was helpful in keeping the van straight during breaking. Overall, very impressive.

I also own 99 Jeep GC Laredo 4x4. I took it out yesterday during the storm BEFORE city cleaned the roads. What a difference ! The car went thru couple of snow drifts of deeper than 2 feet each like they were not even there ! I was thinking about trading the Jeep in for a smaller vehicle (since we also have the Ody), but now it is for keeps !
  • mictjmictj Member Posts: 3
    Responding to #495. You are right. The website must be down or off? Try in a few days. It did work a few days ago.

Lets hope they get back up.
  • ckonckon Member Posts: 22
    Hello all. Happy New Year!

I just installed a set of the new Honda fog lights and am very satisfied with everything about them except that the harnessed provided are wired as a stock setup. In other words, the lights are usable with the low beams only.

I've tried to figure out the best way to power them up any time the parking lights are on, but the wiring diagram that came with them doesn't identify the wiring well enough for me to figure out what wiring can be re-routed. Has anyone rewire the stock fog lights to allow operation under all "parking light on" conditions?

Any clues here would be a big help since I don't have point-to-point diagrams.

Than in advance.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Just got back from plowing some snow for my brother, and got snow in the van. Anyway, the way the floor at the driver's position dips towards the door sill causes all of the melted snow on the weathertechs to trap water between the mat and the door sill. The channeled section of the mats is too far back to be of any use, who drives with their feet that far back. If you're going to get utility out of the channels on the mat, MacNeil needs to be move them further forward. I think I'm going to stick something underneath the mat to cause the water to flow back in instead of into the door sill edge. I actually carried a snow-blower in the back with the magic seat folded down. Got 2 2x8s from Home Depot this morning to serve as ramps to roll the sucker into the back. (They'll be handy for moving anything heavy in the future.) Had to vacuum out all of the water when I got home.
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    Just what we need. Another bozo with fog lamps and high beams at the same time; and the fog lamps are probably already mis-aimed. Sorry, but those blinders are a pet peave if mine.

Fog lamps are intended to be used in fog. In fog, high beams will glare back at you and cut your visibility. Ergo, fog lamps are set to work on low beam only.

If you want driving lights, you should order same. However, if you do, please aim them low enough to reach out, but not high enough to cause a safety hazard!
  • 2001ody2001ody Member Posts: 17
    Just got my 2001 Ody LX and was wondering if the the old rule of thumb of changing the oil at 1000 miles still applies. The manual says not to. I did this for my Tauri and both are going great at 150 and 110k miles.
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I have a 2000 lx. Kept the factory cassette and wanted to add a cd changer. 2 local car stereo guys said the only cd changer that would work with the factory cassette was an alpine 6 cd changer. Dont' think he was bs-ing me. I've got the alpine installed about 5 weeks ago and except for once/twice when I had to turn the van off/on to get cd working (took it back and they replaced the adapter cable they had to install with the cd changer) it's been great-able to control the cd from the radio.
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I have a 2000 lx. Thought the same thing. But the dealer/service was quite firm and waiting till 3750-4000 because the intial oil Honda uses is specially made for the break in period. Others have also gotten the same firm answer from Honda Dealers. I'd also check manual, I think it's in there about this 'special' breakin oil.
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    actually, i saw with my own eyes info from the honda website through a link in forum that the first oil change should not be done until 7500 miles because of the break-in oil. i tried searching through the archives and can't find it...damn these new boards!
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    I believe the manual (for 2001) and website state that an oil change should not be done until the first recommended maintenance interval, which could be 3750 or 7500 miles. That depends on whether you fall into the normal or severe service as defined in the owners manual based on your driving conditions.

Also note that Honda now recommends 5W-20 for the Odyssey. This certainly applies to the 2001 MY vehicles, and may be retroactive to earlier years. The manual states 5W-30 is an alternative if you can't find 5W-20, and that synthetics may be used as long as they are changed according to the service interval specified in the manual.