Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Body Work Problems

Comments

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congrats, the1! I hope you'll also head over to the Volkswagen Beetle: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion, to help the folks who are thinking of buying a Beetle convertible.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• jrsygrljrsygrl Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my NBC 2 days ago and I'm wondering how I hook up my Ipod to the MP3 connector? Do I have to buy a separate plug from Apple or what?
  • laurievanlaurievan Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new nbc on 9/03/05 and 2 weeks and 200 miles later, on a Sat. evening, out for ice cream with my family, it putted out to a crawl on a highway ! The "check engine" light and "EPC" light came on as we made it to the side of the highway. We turned off the engine for 5 minutes and restarted the car - we were able to drive home, but without the normal level of power. On Monday, after talking to the VW dealer-they quickly agreed to have it towed to them, due to the dealer being 35 miles away via highway. It has been 4 days waiting for a "computer" type part to be delivered and installed--I'm hoping its not going to take forever, or an ongoing problem. Anyone else have this problem before? I have a GL 2.0 engine.
  • chrislottchrislott Member Posts: 1
    I just went through the same experience on a new beetle convertible .. and the oil change is still waiting. My wife's is a 2005 4-cyl regular engine.

I found Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 at Wal-mart on my first try. It's expensive because it's mostly synthetic oil, I paid $14/gallon plus $4 for another quart. Yeah, outrageous. Regular 5W-30 at $7 would be fine but this one is still under warranty and I don't want a $10 savings to give VW an excuse to void her car's warranty. And the filter was about $6 at the same wall mart, putting my supplies cost at $25 already. .

About the car. The filter is on tight and I didn't have the right size oil-filter wrench (socket adapter). The oil pan plug takes a DIN 8 hex key. The rock shield allows just barely enough room for the plug to accept a standard hex key and turn it. Because it does allow movement, I never thought of removing the rock shield. I was going to look for a #8 hex key/socket adapter, thought that might make the task a bit easier. Anyone know what does the dealer do? They might pump out the oil, not even mess with the pan plug at all. Seems I'm going to get oil all over the bottom of that rock shield when it gushes out.

She's probably gonna get socked for $60+ to have the oil changed at the dealer next week.

I would love to hear from someone else who has experience, especially impe1595. You can send email to the address (after removing all spaces, translating at/dot) chris lott at spam cop dot net. Thanks!
  • frederickmandofrederickmando Member Posts: 4
    So, if I am dead set on getting a Beetle Convertible, which way should I go? The 2005 with the 2.0 or the 2006 with the 5 cylinder?
    Manual or Tiptronic tranny?
    -Fred
  • Arguseyes6Arguseyes6 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: are these very difficult to keep clean? :
  • impe1595impe1595 Member Posts: 8
    I am coming up on the 15K oil change soon and I will continue to do what I did on the first two changes. I get a gallon of the Shell Rotella 5W-40 at Walmart and then I take the car to a local oil change place and have them change the oil using their filter. Since the NBC takes a bit over 4 quarts, I top it up as soon as I get home from the oil change place.

I still do my own oil changes on my Toyota Highlander and my old hunk-a-junk Isuzu 4X4 because they are so high off the ground that I don't even need a jack. But I have given up changing oil on the NBC because it is such a hassle - I tried to do it at the first change (5K) but I am to old and out of shape; I got down at the front of the car to survey the situation and after feeling around for filter and plug placement, my body turned into one giant 245 lb charlie horse.

At nearly 15K miles, no problems so far. I am getting about 28.5 MPG in mixed (but mostly hwy) driving, and on a recent trip back to Georgia from Maryland I averaged a bit over 30 MPG driving in the rain where I had to keep my speed down to about 65.

My wife complains that it has no oomph but she drives solely in automatic mode. I tried to explain the +/- shifting capability but she just gives me those looks so I have given up. Other than that, she really likes the NBC.

Impe1595

NBC 2.0 Auto Black
  • hillbilly3hillbilly3 Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a new black-on-black NBC. I also have a '63 and '68 'vert. After five years, the old ones are still in various stages of restoration, so I bought a new one to enjoy. I have always changed the oil on all my cars from the old beetles to a Ford F-350 turbo diesel, but I will say that changing the oil in the new beetle was a challenge.

I had read other posts concerning the easily stripped threads of the aluminum oil pan, so I thought I would try to install Fram's Sure Drain oil plug to avoid stripping the threads and make the oil changes a bit easier. Fram's catalog doesn't list a Sure Drain plug for the 2005 New Beetle. Other companies also make plugs to ease changing the oil, but I'm not sure if anyone makes a plug specifically for the new beetle.

The first problem that I encountered was that the oil plug is nearly inaccessible due to the aluminum skid/rock plate underneath the engine. There was certainly not enough room to install a Sure Drain plug, so I removed the skid plate. I needed three different types of tools to remove the plate: an M8 "triple square" driver, a T-25 Torx driver and a 16mm socket. With the car on ramps, I managed to access all the fasteners with minimal difficulty and removed the skid plate.

To remove the oil plug, I needed an 8mm Allen wrench. The plug was definitely easier to access after the plate was removed. Fram's SD-2 M14X1.5 Sure Drain plug fit the threads of the oil pan, but one of the oil pan bolts holding the pan to the engine block prevented the Sure Drain plug from snugging down. I removed the oil pan bolt with a 5mm Allen wrench and replaced it with a more low profile bolt that allowed the Sure Drain plug to be tighted all the way down.

At this point, the only other problem was that the rock/skid plate didn't allow enough room to use the quick connect hose to drain the oil. I used an electric jig saw with a metal cutting blade to extend the opening by about 2"X2" in the aluminum rock/skid plate around the oil plug. I smoothed the edges of the opening with a Dremel grinder and then touched up the raw metal with black paint. Now, there's plenty of room to connect the hose and hopefully I won't have to worry about stripping the aluminum oil pan threads by repeatedly removing the entire oil plug at each oil change.

The oil filter was accessible with one of the oil filter sockets that fit onto a 3/8" drive ratchet, but the original filter was extremely tight and difficult to remove. I finally broke it loose by using a oil filter wrench, but it wasn't easy. I installed a new filter without difficulty, but tried to avoid over-tightening it.

I really can't recommend any of the above modifications to anyone owning a new beetle since the procedure probably violates the warranty and I don't know anyone other than myself who would do all of the above just to change his own oil. It would seem that Volkswagen didn't have the shade-tree mechanic in mind when they designed the oil plug for this car, but, hey, that's ok. Changing one's own oil probably caused the flooding in New Orleans, the war in Iraq, and global warming. Any comments welcome.

Hillybilly3
    I just changed the oil in my 2005 New Beetle Convertible for the first time and posted my experience in #215 of this forum. It certainly wasn't easy, but I did manage to change the oil, filter and install a plug that should make future oil changes much easier. The procedure probably sounds pretty radical, so read at your own risk. I have no idea how the dealer changes the oil unless they have a specialized tool to access the almost impossible-to-reach oil plug.
    These bolts require a "triple square" bit to remove. See #215.
  • catlady44catlady44 Member Posts: 15
    I am so curious how you like your VW Beetle Convertible. I just recently bought one with 6600 miles (a friend of my boss was selling it - he had bought it for his wife for Mother's day 2004 and 6 months later she wanted a Mercedes CLK convertible). In any event, I have the Turbo model and I am very unhappy with the gas mileage. I am flabberghasted that it only gets around 17 miles pg city driving. It's worse that my Mercedes E320.

I was wondering what your experience has been.
    Hi Lisa.

I just bought a 2004 NBConvertible with all the accoutrements but I am very disappointed in the gas mileage. I have a turbo and while most of my driving is city driving, I am barely getting 16 mpg. What is your experience
    Hi, I was just browsing through the forum. I just bought a 2004 VW Beetle Conver. Turbo with 6600 miles. My air bag light came on and the dealer said they had to replace the crash sensor and they did and since it was under warranty, that was okay. However, My biggest problem so far is the gas mileage. I drive only 6 miles each way to work and all city driving and I am barely getting 16 mpgs. I am very discouraged and after reading all of the terrible things about this car, I wish I had not bought it. I live in California and gas is #3.15 a gal(premium). I am tempted to burn 89 at $3.09 a gallon. One of the men in my office said there is very little difference and it will not hurt the car to burn the 89 instead of the 91.

I wish I had bought a Japanese car instead.
    #159 - Babyblue.

I just happened on your originalr March 2005 post so I don't know if you are still checking in - but if you are - I have a 2004 NB Convertible Turbo - Auto/Tiptronic Baby Blue and I am barely getting 16 miles per gallon city driving. I have never let it get to the red zone but I am barely getting 200 to the tank. I am so disgusted I could cry. I did not buy it new. I bought it from my boss' best friend who had bought it for his wife on Mothers Day 2004 and then 6 months later she decided she wanted a mercedes Clk convertible so this car was for sale and I wanted to get rid of my 95 Mercedes E320 as it was starting to cost way too much to repair and maintain. So needless to say I was surprised to find that this car is doing so poorly on gas. I got better mileage with my Mercedes.

I am disgusted because I can't imagine there is anything they can do to remedy the problem. I am so disappointed in the car but other than the mileage I like the car. I owned a Super Beetle Convertible in 1973 and had it for 14 years. It didn't get great mileage either but gas was very cheap by today['s standards.

Hope you see this post
    Hello Catlady44,

I saw your post about gas mileage and for those comparing the turbo with the standard engine, my 05 NBC without the turbo and with manual transmission gets a bit better than 30mpg with mostly highway driving, but some city driving. I will admit that I seldom get caught in stop-and-go traffic jams. I probably drive slower than most drivers. I burn the 92 octane and have found that I get a bit better mileage with it than the 89. I can drive about 400 miles before hitting the red zone of the fuel guage. At least for 2005, VW advertised the turbo model and the standard model as getting about the same mileage per gallon, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure why your NBC is getting such poor mileage per gallon. I chose not to buy a turbo because I figured it was just one more thing to break down on an already complicated automobile.
    Thanks for responding. I just filled up this morning and I put in just a little over 12 gallons and I didn't even get 16 miles on this tank of gas. I guess the manual transmission without the turbo would naturally do better than mine but I would have hoped to get better than 15 miles per gallon even with the auto. I didn't choose the Turbo but it was part of the package I do like the pick up when you need it. The car seemed like such a great deal at the time and it was price wise, and it only had 6600 miles on it and was owned by my bosses friend's wife who got tired of it after 6 months and wanted something nicer like a mercedes. I had a 10 year old mjercedes at my mthe time which was starting to cost me a lot of money for repairs and I was tired of spending the money, so this car seemed like the answer m(new and still under warranty). Oh well. I do like the car but I guess I will. have to make a decision whether or not to keep it. I don't drive a lot of miles so it really is not a big factor but with the gas prices the way they are, I am just in a quandry. It is not just the gas issue. After reading about all the problems this car has, I am wondering if it was such a great deal. I already had the air bag light come on and they had to replace the crash sensor. That is no big deal but I hope it is not visions of things to come.

Thank you again for responding.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    What kind of fuel are you using? You should be running this car on premium gas. Try Mobil premium and see what happens. You should be averaging at least 20MPG in combined driving.
    Sorry for the late reply - I am using premium - I just had the car to the dealer. They did a fuel consumption test and told me that the computer shows no abnormalities in the gas consumption either way and that I should not expect good mileage since I have a Turbo!!!! coupled with the fact that I drive a short distance to and from work which means my engine never gets to full operrating speed. They suggested taking it out on the highway on the weekends and driving it for at least an hour in speeds of 65 to 70 miles an hour. They said this may burn off any carbon deposits which may have build up from the car never being driven the way he should.

It sound like b/s to me but I will give it a try.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    My Passat 1.8t gets very good gas mileage. I have never gotten below 26mpg on any tankful. With all hwy driving, I can get mid 30's.
    Carbon deposits can be power robbing, so I would try their advice. However, strongly recommend you do this:

Buy several bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner. (WalMart sells it for about $ 5.70/bottle. Use one bottle with about 7 or 8 gallons of gas (instructions say up to 12 gallons). Then drive the car until tank is nearly empty. Put in 7 more gallons of fuel, pour another bottle of Techron in the gas tank and repeat.

This stuff is great! I have used it successfully in my car when I noticed drop in power and gas mileage. It cleanes the fuel injectors and cleans carbon deposits from valves and tops of pistons. What have you got to lose? The investment is about $ 12.

On top of that, I would experiment with diferent brands of fuel. I found that my car runs really good on BP/Amoco premium. I get better performance and mileage. Whatever you do , stick with brand name gas. Those other places may have better prices, but you never know what additives they may use in the fuel. If they use too much ethanol, for example, this may really mess up you car's performance and mileage, as it causes fouling of the injectors and poisons the O2 sensors.l
  • chanelbellechanelbelle Member Posts: 1
    I am also wondering the same thing!!

I picke up my NB tomorrow and I am very excited about this feature. But I have no idea what is needed to hook my ipod up to my new car?
  • iwardiward Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 convertible and love the car with the exception of persistent problems with the radio reception (about to be replaced finally) and, more importantly, the worst ride of any car I have driven since my Austin Healey Sprite.
    The car feels like it is riding with no shocks or springs. Any slight bump in the road feels like an NYC pothole and the car bangs and rattles like a farm tractor.
    As one would expect the dealer says they can't reproduce the problem.
    Anyone else have this problem? I have no objection to a firm ride, this is lack of proper ride control.
    Thanks for your October 14th reply. I am burning Chevron Techroline gas. In California, the highest Octane we have is 91 and I am using it. How could carbon build up be a factor on a car with only 7000 miles on it. I am thoroughly disgusted. I just finished sending a letter to VW Customer Care (for whatever good it will do) to get my disgust off my chest. We do not have Amoco gas here, and gasoline in Southern California (Los Angeles) is $3.19 per gallon (some places higher and very few places lower).

I took the car out on the highway. All windows up and top up. Set the car to cruise control at 65 mph and only got 20 miles to the gallon. I am so disgusted I can't wait to sell it. Other than it being a great looking car, I am unimpressed. I agree with the other person who wrote it and who complained about their radio. I had to take the Bass all the way off so it won't vibrate in the doors. I don't know what status Monsoon has but it has no status with me.

I found the car to handle very well on the open road. It felt very solid and stable. However, there is a vibration that you can feel right through the steering wheel which drives me crazy. This is one overpriced vehicle for all of its problems and I understand the electrical system is also a problem too.

Very unhappy catlady 44
    Thanks for the suggestion about the gas additive. I guess there are so many schools of thought. My Mercedes mechanics told me at one time that all those additive things were b/s. However, it is worth a try to see if this dumb beetle will get better gas mileage.
  • latechlatech Member Posts: 1
    We put the top down to put a box on the back seat and the passenger cover/flap was bumped and knocked off the track. We put it back on but the "pull" to unlock the flap was undone. So we had to close the top manually (as per manual instructions). We took the car to the dealer to have this looked at and we thought they would reset everything and we would be okay. As per their computer the switch and motor for the top do not work. The flap assembly and covers have to be replaced - all costing $2200 to correct. Is this possible? Can closing the top manually cause the motor and switch to go out?
  • empiempi Member Posts: 6
    Hi latech:

Gee, I have not had that problem yet, but I think it is awful that this would happen. I am starting to regret buying this car because they seem to be replete with all kinds of problems. I have a 2004 Turbo GLS Convertible and I am barely getting 14 miles to the gallon city driving = 20 highway. I complained to VW and they called me yesterday. They are sending me back to the dealer with their head of the service department so he can watch how I drive for an hour and then put it back on the computer. Do you happen to have the turbo and what kind of mileage are you getting. I only have 7500 miles on my car and I am getting ready to put it up for sale.

empi
    The only problem I've had with the top on my NBC is that the warning buzzer continues to signal that the top isn't all the way open when I open it. I haven't had time to take it back to the dealer yet. Anyone else have this problem? :confuse:
  • lilred250lilred250 Member Posts: 2
    Hello VW Owners. I have had my heart dead set on the new VW convert for about 2 years. I am finally looking into a brand new 2005 since they are trying to get rid of them. Is there anything I need to know about this car? I hate to hear negative things but I just want to make sure I am not getting myself into trouble. I just love the car over all. Thanks
    I felt the same way a few months ago when I bought my new 2005 convertible. I've been reasonably happy with it. If you read some of the posts on this forum, you can get an idea of some of the problems. I went with the non-turbo engine and manual transmission. I've been happy with both. The manual transmission shifts like a breeze. Changing the oil can be a hassle and you might want to read one of my earlier posts about oil changes. The car seems to be designed to discourage the owner from changing his own oil. The complicated electronics worry me a bit on this car, but I suppose all new cars have complicated electronics these days. Overall, I'm pleased with my 2005 NBC. :)
  • wantabeetlewantabeetle Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I'm looking into buying an 06 Beetle convertible with an automatic transmission. I'd love to hear pros/cons from anyone that already owns one.
    Thanks!
  • gbatcheldergbatchelder Member Posts: 1
    We bought the 06 convertible in October. I wish we did not. What good is a convertible if the electronics which control the latch do not work? Two trips to the dealer service they think they have it fixed.

Then the driver's window electronics does not work, open the door and it comes down a little bit, close the door and it is supposed to go back, but not on this one. Took it in to the dealer and they could not duplicate it and sent me home. It happend as soon as I got home, drove it back and they said hum... looks like you need another electronic switch replaced they will call me when it gets in...

Now the remote switch works only sometime.....

I called VW customer service, waste of time. They "will follow up with the dealer as an advocate".
  • dezydezy Member Posts: 1
    After the new Year we will be purchasing one... I would like to know what is the difference, and why are the 2006 cheaper than the 2005 ???? Should I get auto, or manual... What is the best engine... Our dealer has so many 2005, My boss said I should get a 2004 (always buy a 2 year old car-low miles, so all the bugs are out of it) any ideas????
  • 2ndtimehappy2ndtimehappy Member Posts: 2
    I bought the first beetle conv in Canada and was quite happy with it until it had a recall on the top. After the recall it was never the same.It got to the point were the roof had to be replaced,but even the new roof i was not much better.Finally VW Canada agreed to take the car back [14mths left on lease]if i would buy /lease a new one which i wanted to do anyway.I now have a 2006 beetle conv and so far i am very happy with it .The car has more power, handles better and feels much tighter.Time will tell if there are going to be problems,so far so good.Paul Brown
  • 2ndtimehappy2ndtimehappy Member Posts: 2
    I have just bought a 2006 nbc after having a 2003 nbc,the difference is night and day especially with the bigger engine.Also it gets better gas mileage with the 5lt engine. And the price is less on the 2006 than the 2005.
  • familycar1familycar1 Member Posts: 1
    Which model year was the weight sensor in the front passenger seat that influences airbag deployment introduced?

We know that they are at least in the 2005 new beetle. The weight sensor causes the airbag system to be active only if the passenger is, I believe, greater than 80 lbs. (ie., a child can sit in front and the airbag won't deploy in a sudden impact)
  • bonarrigobonarrigo Member Posts: 1
    I have no problem with the ride, but my radio also has terrible reception. The car is going in for repair for the second time since I bought it new in August 2005. It only has 5200 miles on it. I already had the faulty LCD unit for the center brakelight replaced. The radio, as mentioned, gets poor reception all the time (I am told it is possibly a problem with the antenna base), the roof latch is defective- squeaks and rattles because it doesn't close properly, the trunk latch is defective- doesn't lock unless you apply constant firm pressure while closing, the leather upholstery is pulling out from under the lever which allows the front seat to pull forward for access to the rear seat, and the clips on the headliner are faulty - it comes unclipped under the rear window every time the roof is put down.
    So far the engine is fine - but everything else around it is falling apart. I've had the car only 4 months and I'm the only one who drives it. I'm waiting to see what falls apart next......
    I have a 2004 VW Convertible Turbo. It only has 8,000 miles on it. I think you should read this forum before you buy one. Mine gets terrible gas mileage but other than that no problems yet but I do not feel confident that these cars are reliable. I am sure however, if you were to go on any other car forum you will find similar complaints. However, my biggest complaint is poor gas mileage. Barely getting 15-l/2 16 mpg city driving. 20 mpg highway. The head mechanic said he doesn't believe it has anything to do with the turbo as the turbo doesn't really kick in until you get to a certain speed which he thinks I never even get to and the fact that the engine never gets to heat up properly since I only have a very short commute (less than 3 miles) to work.

Good luck.
  • lsimlsim Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone who lives in the Northeast tell me how a convertible beetle does in the snow? Please provide any useful comments I should know regarding how the bug does in bad weather The 2006 now has traction control. Does anyone have any experience with that? :)
  • lrhunterlrhunter Member Posts: 1
    My daughter wants a New Beetle Convertible, but really wants to get it in pink (the 2006 advertisements from VW show it in pink, but I have not seen pink listed as a factory color on the web site or in brochures). I have also heard that it may be available with the diesel engine soon. Does anyone know if either of these options will be available?
  • luvmybugluvmybug Member Posts: 1
    :) hey everybody~~
    i purchased a 2006 bug convertible that i absolutely love however, i have no idea how to get the hook up for my ipod. it comes with an auxillary outlet to hook it up, but when i asked apple about the part they told me i have to get the wire from my dealer, then when i went to the dealer they told me apple supplies me with it. can somebody help because i really want to use my ipod in my car.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    My daughter, a college student, recently purchased a '02 Jetta with the 2.0 engine and manual transmission. The car looks and drives great, but I'm concerned about VW's reliability record. Am wondering what experience you've had with your '02 Jetta, what oil you use and oil change intervals, and whether you feel comfortable with the lifetime coolant.

My apology for posting this in the New Beetle Convert topic.

Thanks.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, hpmctorque,

Mine's a 1.8 Turbo with automatic and (crossing fingers) I haven't had a moment's trouble with it. As to the oil and coolant issues... well, I'm just here to hand out pillows, serve drinks and make sure everyone's comfortable -- I have no idea what kind of oil the service department puts in it and am coolant-clueless. But I CAN send you to the Jetta Forum, where you'll get a lot more knowledgeable answers than mine:

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and Earlier

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Okay, if you don't mind, then, I'd like a Diet Coke with light ice and a twist of lime, please, and, fine, we'll do the oil change another time.
  • lilmelyellilmelyel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 NBC. This is my second winter driving it in snow. I have never had a problem, the wider wheel base helps. I have driven it in a couple major storms; it really does well. I do have the 5 speed manual trans; I really think knowing how to properly use your manual trans helps, proper downshifting, etc. to lessen use of brakes.
    Good luck!
  • wantabeetlewantabeetle Member Posts: 8
    I have an ipod nano and listen to it in my 06 NBC all the time. You don't have to get a cable from your dealer. You can get one from somewhere like walmart or target. It's called a 3.5mm stereo jack cable. It has a 3.5mm plug on both ends. I think it costs like 5 bucks...or maybe a little more. Good luck! :)
  • lsimlsim Member Posts: 7
    So nice of you to comment. Thanks!
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    For the first time, test drove a New Beetle convertible, a 2006. Handling/ride was good. Wind noise topdown also good, ergonics excellent, off the line acceleration was sluggish, however once moving it caught up quite quick. I once owned a cabriolet a decade ago, and I intend to buy the manual roof version (It actually is easier to use than the cabriolets old manual top). I can get this for $22K plus tax ($23610 MSRP). The dealer had 24 convertibles on the lot, and this is an average size dealer. I plan to buy this October on the 2006 clearance sales. For the next 7 months I just need to further research the 2006 Beetle reliability with the new 5 cylinder and hopefully improved reliability on everything else. Any new post will be helpful.
    Read as much as you can about the reliability of these vhicles. There may be some unexpected issues with the new engine. And make sure that VW has resolved the problems with the power convertible tops on new Beetles.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for the reply, it is about time to wake up this site. I will buy the manual top , so I don't have to worry about the auto top problems. Being a Volkswagen fan until 1999, when I felt that VW was going into a bad phase by selling technology that I knew was not good like the 1.8T engine etc. The VR6 engine is a bullet proof engine, the VR5 being a derivative, should be bullet proof too, I checked the 06 Jetta site, looks good so far, and almost a year, maybe I will buy in June, before everybody finds out about the return to acceptable reliability and VW will stop discounting their cars due to increased demand?
  • daisybug06daisybug06 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 NBConvertible, standard transmission, auto top and I absolutely love it. The top was a little tricky at first because it didn't seem to be latching correctly when I put the top down but after putting it up and down a few times I figured out what I was doing wrong. Now, it works like a charm.

I hear that the auto transmission is a little sluggish...that has been the least of my problems. The standard transmission gives the car a very sporty feel. :shades:

I guess I'm still in the newly wed stages with my car but I am absolutely in love with my 2006 NBC. :blush:

Happy driving!