Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Body Work Problems

bill912bill912 Member Posts: 2
I spoke with a VW sales person recently and he said they will be discontinuing the VW Cabrio and replacing it with the new VW Beetle Convertible (cabrio) He said the details were sketchy and didn't know when this would occur. Anybody out there know any more info on this? Will it be a 2002 or possibly a 2003?

Thanks,

Comments

• coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    I had herd that the next generation Cabrio would be based on the next generation Jetta platform, and that VW may introduce a separate convertible using the new beetle body style. I think it would be a wonderful idea, considering the amount of after market shops that can charge and additional 20-30k just to chop the tops of many of them.
  • adaveyadavey Member Posts: 30
    i read in "new beetle convertible" web search and saw in the atlanta paper that the NB Convertible is to come out this fall. has anyone else seen this? also under the impression that the cabrio would be no more. true or false?
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    According to my dealer, (Jim Ellis, Marietta Georgia), the cars should be available by late October. They are taking $500 deposits for reservations against their first allotment. They expect 40 in their first group (They are one of the largest VW dealers in the country) and have taken about 20 reservations thus far (as of 4/16).

This was my first visit to a VW showroom in years, and it was a very plesant experience. Car is guaranteed to be no more than MSRP plus $299 doc fee.

Also, FYI, had 4 Passat W8's in stock...
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Will this be a "chick" car?
    I can't speak for everyone, but in this case, yes. It is for my mother. I've been hearing about wanting a beetle convertible for over 30 years. I'm finally taking the hint...
  • bgkannebgkanne Member Posts: 25
    The Beetle convertible, from what I've been told, is due out in November. It will be sold, at least initially, with only the standard gas engine with either a manual or automatic. The Cabrio is still listed as a model for 2003, but I would suspect the current version won't go on past the 2003 model year.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    The first VW Cabrio to have real power since Paul Newman stuffed a Porsche in the back of his.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18
    There's a picture of the Beetle Cabrio in the Future Vehicles section of Edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2003/volkswagen/newbeetle/2drconvertible/preview.html

• dogman33dogman33 Member Posts: 1
    The latest word from VW is for the introduction of the NB Convertible to be on or about October 10th. The biggest news is that it will have a totally new engine. A 2.0 liter 4 cyl. with counter rotating balancing shafts. Although this engine is the same displacement as the present 2.0 liter, that is where the similarity will end. This new engine will be mated to a 6 speed manual tyranny. This vehicle is so different from the present new beetles that the factory is requiring every dealership to send at least one technician for a 2 day intro course on the drivetrain and chassis/body changes. For everyone's education, the Cabrio is an A3 chassis style and is the last of the A3 chassis to be phased out. Golf, New Beetles, Jetta and the GTI are A4 chassis styles. The A5 chassis style is scheduled for introduction around 2005.
    VW built a new engine with the same 115 hp output in the NB convertible? that seems slightly off as one of the complaints has been the poor hp of the current 4 banger. how different can the same hp be? anyone know?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I have heard of no such new engine. Car and Driver said it will carry on with the same 2.0 that is in the current Cabrio, but will offer the 1.8 180 horse turbo in the spring. The 2.0 will be mated to a 5 speed manual or a new 6 speed automatic. I guess the other guy got his info confused.
  • searchlightsearchlight Member Posts: 5
    Who cares how nice this car looks it should have all the standard electrical problems of all the bugs. You would be crazy to buy one. Unless you enjoy being stranded on the side of the road. Or like getting REAL-one on one-with the service manager.
    Stay away till VW is forced to fix the problems....mass air sensor....control panel..
    on and on...
    Again you would be crazy to buy one they should be paying us to test it in the real world for them.
    Very unreliable new beetles are just do your own research too and you will see.
    A very unhappy 2000 glx turbo owner experience for me.
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    2002 1.8t owner and no problems. Maybe that's why they changed their warranty from 24 to 48k miles. I think they got the bugs out of the bug. 2000 Jetta GLX had many electrical problems and don't get me started with older Passats. If our 02 holds up I'll be getting another VW/Audi, but I'll be leasing and fully covered under warranty, I don't think VWs do well near and past the 100k mark. Car and Driver is the only ones who said 180hp 1.8t engine in the spring, most likely and according to VW, the 150hp engine. I don't like the 2.0 and it's weak engine, so I don't care what they say about it. If I didn't want power I'd get the TDI and some great gas mileage. Is anyone going to buy a beetle hard top after the convertible comes out?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    VW cars generally are durable past 100K based on the history of the older models. Only time will tell with the current VW's but the ones that preceded them typically last well beyond 100K and it was usually rust that did them in. The drivetrain is very sturdy and it is the electrical system that provides the most problems both past and present.
  • searchlightsearchlight Member Posts: 5
    Good luck but I have little faith you will not have problems. Be ready to take it in regardless of who pays. I got the extended warantee, best investment I ever made it paid for itself many times over. Just got tired of going to the dealer between oil changes. Trust me your check engine light will go on maybe it will be mass airflow sensor(which they lower the price because of how many have to be replaced!) w/ hoses too, maybe multi function switch, maybe even control panel, sure VW will pay now up to 48K-they have to do something. I think it is a cheep way for them to get suckers(me included) to continue to buy them. Not to mention the rotors they will need replacing around 35-40K, not cheap either and they will not pay for that.
    I just think unless you have a lot of money and it is not your only car stay far far away from this unreliable car.
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    Not too excited about the NB Convertible. I drive a 2002 Passat and think it is world class, but this new model leaves much to be desired. What's with the backback hanging off the rear blocking the view? And how about a new engine, like a 16v with about 140 h.p.? And what happened to VW's plans to develop a cvt which would be lighter, cheaper and more responsive than a 6-speed tip? VW cheaped out on this one. Bring back a golf convertible with the above mentioned features.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    It is a Beetle convertible, so therefore it is trying to emulate the traditional Beetle convertible look, which means a folded top that hangs off the back end. They will be offering a 150 horse turbo engine, so there's your multivalve engine. I think it's pretty impressive they are offering a 6 speed automatic on such an inexpensive car. Jaguar and BMW were the first to offer one, but VW was not far behind. How that qualifies as cheapening out on the design of this car, I have no idea.
  • cybergrnbugcybergrnbug Member Posts: 7
    I currently own a 2001 CyberGreen GLX 1.8T and have NEVER (no electrical problems NOTHING) had any problems with it. I currently have 34k miles on it. Any car can have problems. So stop the I hate the New Beetle campaign.
    For those interested in New Beetles or the convertible please go to newbeetle.org where there are thousands of very happy bug owners!
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know where this new VW Beetle Convertible is being built? Mexico, Germany, or ??
    -Tom
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    but it is probably in Mexico where my two Jettas came from, as well as the Beetles.
  • david3947david3947 Member Posts: 1
    OK...so I've seen the pics, but haven't seen a NB ragtop live and in person yet. The dealer says he'll call me to let me know when he has got one I can look at, but still wants the $500 check now to 'hold' one for me. He also showed me a brochure with colors and minimal information [no specs], but couldn't let me have one to drool on. It seems the first ones out will be the 115HP model and that the 150HP will be released. What I'd really like is the 180HP or turbo diesel - but have no clue how long I'd have to wait for one of those. Has anyone actually seen/driven one yet? Have those of you who've ordered gotten any reliable word on when you might get it? I'm anxious to get one, but leery of plunking down money to hold a vehicle that I haven't seen and have no clue as to the price.
    i heard november as a release date. it IS november the last time i checked...
  • jcdgrodinjcdgrodin Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I was interested in buying a nb however I have terrible and I mean terrible luck with cars. I hear more bad things than good about the NB and would like to hear from both sides of the coin.
  • sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    NB Convertible is to be sold the first week of January. They changed the launch from the Florida car show to the Detroit one. Demo cars are popping up at dealers now. www.newbeetle.org has pictures and specs of a Demo in Cleveland. The Turbo will be released late Spring (so they say). The cars are almost 4k more expensive than the hard-tops which is pretty pricy. Then again, cheap compared to the TT. I posted before and I have no electrical problems to date, no problems for that matter. I had a Passat VR6 with over 175k on it and at about 120k is when the electrical problems occured. The engine is rock solid.
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    I had the chance to briefly drive the first new Beetle GLS convertible with the 6 speed automatic delivered to the dealer I work at. Though no performance car, the balancing shafts make the 115 hp engine amazingly smooth and vibration free. The 6 speed automatic, a first for a 4 cylinder car, is made in Japan. I assume it will appear in other vehicles sold in the US as well.
    I drove a NB Convert yesterday at the dealer which is holding my order. For around town driving, the 2.0 with the 6 speed auto is adequate. Did have a bit of difficulty passing trucks on the freeway, however. Since my preferred color isn't available, therefore missing the Christmas gift opportunity, I decided to defer until the 1.8Ts arrive in a couple of months.

Overall, car is very stiff for a convertible. Suspension handled curves and off ramps with ease. Generally tight, well put together car.
  • jenmur5jenmur5 Member Posts: 1
    hi. the new beetle convertibles are out and I need any info you can share! I went to a dealer who quoted me a rather high price. more than i expected. i've never owned a beetle before, but i want to be an informed consumer. Is it likely the price will go down next year? Is it likely there will be problems with the brand new models this year? Please share anything you know re: prices, problems, etc. Thanks.
    In Atlanta, these can be had easily for MSRP. I wouldn't expect a lot off of that right now given that people have been waiting for this car for up to five years. I think you may see opportunities for discounts on the 2.0 models shortly after the 1.8T cars start to show up, but this will also be at the beginning of spring, when convertibles really get hot at dealers. What kind of prices are you finding?

As for the reliability, I've never owned a VW. But given the car's basic mechanicals are five years old, I am hoping most of the early glitches have been worked out.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    You are correct...Puebla Plant for all Beetles...
    Worldwide...
    what a delight. i've had it for >1500 miles and what a pleasure. 6 speed tip-tronic for <$27000. it really goes (speeding ticket in SC). they tossed the 6cd changer in for half price--yeah they still make money,but it's covered on the warranty. i have the top down and the heater blasting all the time. the wife/kids and i have enjoyed the heck out of this.
  • illini82illini82 Member Posts: 1
    In reference to #32, here in Chicago as one of the dealer-mandated "options" they are selling for list but adding on a CD changer for $600 t0 $1000 in order to allow you to get a convertible; what about in other parts of the country?
  • bonanza111bonanza111 Member Posts: 7
    I just went for a test ride in one yesterday. Seems like a pretty fun car. I tried to grind them on the price and all they would do is reduce the $2500 markup to $0. Paying full boat seems rather ridiculous, but demand may keep the price up there. The dealer also has a turbo convertible......$2,000 more than the non turbo convertible. The power on the non turbo may be a little light. How much should I pay for the extended warranty???
    why would you buy a car that needs an extended warranty? i bought the new bug ragtop. it has 4 years and 50k miles on it already. that should cover the costs of most of the stuff that would go wrong. spend the extended-warranty money on a nice vacation.
  • cjg3cjg3 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a problem getting the boot cover to
    fit and snap into place? I just took mine into the dealer for a couple of minor things, that was one of them. They told me that they couldn't get it snap into place either and are having someone from home office to come and look at it next week. I talked to a salesman and he said that some are working and some are not. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.
  • lindsayslindsays Member Posts: 3
    I have been talking to some VW dealerships in DC area and am getting mixed information regarding the release date of the 1.8T convertible. One dealership has even told me that they're out and I could order one and get it in June and then a different sales guy at the SAME dealership said they won't be released until August/September. Any ideas on what's correct? Some of you have said you drove the 1.8T convertible. I just convinced my husband to get this car - now I need to find it, quick! (Before he changes his mind) Help!
    no, it doesn't stay or go in well. THEY said that the guys at vw are "working on it". personally, while it did not stop me from buying the car, i don't believe "they are working on it" either. still a delightful if not the most powerful car.
  • crerarb1crerarb1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me when the 2004 Beetle convertible will be in the showrooms? I understand the new colors will include Red and my dicission is to either buy now or wait!!
    is here. Alexandria VW had three - all sold. saw one at the dealer. silver. pretty nice.
  • lindsayslindsays Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the scoop - the guys at Springfield VW just called me saying one "just showed up" on their lot. It's not sold yet, and it is painful to let it go, but my husband now wants to order a G35 coupe instead. He's selling his 2 month old A4 3.0 to get an automatic for me, so I guess I should let him have some say about what he gets! The guys said they should be coming in regularly now and I don't think they have a waiting list.
  • inmylife2inmylife2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my VW in March 2003, it has been in the shop 4 times since then, 1st the top would not snap into place, 2nd wrong sensor was put in at the manufacturers - car would not start, 3rd back fired and would not go over 25 mh - coil problem, 4th rear window didn't go down, sluggish on acceleration, lights on dash didn't work, and now it is in the shop again for dyeing out while I was driving. I only wish I could enjoy this new found freind. Any suggestions?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    2 words: LEMON LAW!!
    are you saying you bought a TURBO Beetle convertible in March 03?? didn't think that was possible. and only the 180 hp turbo's have the coil issues as far as i know. didn't realize that the Beetle convertible's offered the 180hp turbos over the 150hp turbos.
  • dfmf56dfmf56 Member Posts: 1
    I leased a new Beetle Convertible from Reydel Volkswagen of Edison, NJ. I have found not only is the product inferior, but Volkswagen and the Dealer does not stand behind it.
    I attempted to put the top down, the &#147;operational&#148; top according to Reydel upon doing so both roof bracket covers were yanked from their hinges by the top. Somehow, this is my fault and am expected to pay for it.
    The car has been in the dealer 4 other times for various roof and window problems, but I broke it. ADVICE: Stay away from VW!!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    dfmf---sorry about your troubles.

We aren't really a Complaint Station here, so unless you have an actual question, please try not to post complaints on this board unless you need assistance / advice in resolving them.

Host
    my nb convert now has 6k miles and one trip to the shop. the button for the top's handle popped into 2 pieces. the dealer was very helpful and gave me a courtesy car. obviously i didn't have to pay for anything. we'll see how long this one lasts. the experience was so much better than i expected after reading about vw's customer-no-service reputation, i was amazed.
    Being independent franchisees, dealers can vary widely in their service levels from town to town.
  • marianne6marianne6 Member Posts: 1
    I realize this is not a complaint board - but I thought you could point me in right direction. We purchased 2003 VW beetle convertible and have had nothing but trouble with it. This will be the 3rd time it is in the shop for convertible top(and probably our 4th attempt at getting top down). I was told by the VW dealer that there are some problems with this? Has anyone else heard anything? Besides lemon law, what recourse do I have? Are there any other places to register complaints and talk with people who have had similar problems? Thanks.
    Well let's see. Your recourses, in broad terms, would be:

1. Try to work it out with the dealer (sounds like this hasn't worked yet). Whether they "all have issues" with the top isn't your problem, it's the dealer's or VW's problem.

2. Make an appointment to meet with a factory technician from the VW Zone Office who comes to the dealership and tries to resolve your complaint. The dealer will give you the Zone Office number.

3. Failing that, hire a lemon law attorney for a consultation and see if your complaints qualify (they vary from state to state so what you see on the internet might not apply to you).

4. Failing that, file or threaten to file, a civil law suit.

In terms of talking to other owners about how they resolved their complaints, you should use our "search" feature to the left of this page and by typing in VW cabrio or VW convertible, see how many discussions are going on in the various boards at Edmunds.

We (neither hosts nor visitors here) aren't permitted to recommend other auto forums outside Edmunds so you'll have to try the Google search engine for that.
  • newbeetleconvnewbeetleconv Member Posts: 6
    Well, this is the 4th time my new convertible has been back at the dealership in ONE month! The top goes down, but refuses to come back up. First a clamp, now a sensor, then the boot. Geeez, I wish I had found this site BEFORE spending 27,000 on a VW. Thanks for the venting.
  • bugger2bugger2 Member Posts: 1
    I loved all 5000 mi. First trouble with the Boot cover not snapping in(right side. Next interior rear window liner is sagging lower than my grandmas ****. Followed by a final loud snap (right side)convertible mechanism that never came back out. Something else snapped in the trunk hinge(right side),never did find that piece??
    Unibody construction problem??? West Covina Calif. Dealer is very friendly, nice service people. What are my options??? Still waiting