Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• cardinal5cardinal5 Member Posts: 8
    I don't think there are any cost saves in red or red/yellow lenses for the Odyssey. For the 99-01 models I think there are two shades of red. If so, where are the cost saves? In my opinion, it is strictly cosmetic. It also gives Honda something to update when they tweak existing models (check out the tail lights on 98-00 vs. 01-02 Accords). FYI - I was following a late model BMW 525 wagon today with all red tail lights.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    If I remember correctly, the Japanese market Ody (manufactured in Canada and called the LaGreat) came stock with the Red/Yellow combination for the 99-01 model years. The Japanese considered it very cool to swap their Red/Yellow lenses for North American Red/Red lenses. A few folks were making a killing "facilitating" the swaps. I wonder if the LaGreats now come stock with Red/Red lenses???
  • newbaby3newbaby3 Member Posts: 12
    Hello, I'm new to this board. I plan on purchasing some sort of minivan by year end. My thoughts are currently Odyssey vs MPV right now. The latter may be a bit tight as child #3 will be here soon and the 3rd row seat will likely be called into operation on a full time basis. As such, am I correct that the Odyssey may be more functional (re load capacity with 3rd row seat up)? Another issue is the DVD entertainment system. This seems like a useful feature to me. Right now the only way to get it in a MPV is aftermarket. Is there a good aftermarket system for the Odyssey? If so, that would seem to make find a new one easier as it would allow me to go with an LX instead of EX. One more thing, I have not yet driven either of these vehicles, so I'm sort of in the dark to waht to expect (current cars are saab 9-3 and camry). Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
  • liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    How long did everyone wait to get their ODY once they had a manufacturing date? Mine is set for production on June 15th. Is 2 weeks about normal?
    I am just concluding my 6 month search and have settled on the ODY. Much more room than the MPV which I also like. The DVD on the MPV is out this month for $1200 MSRP but that hikes the price up to ODY range as well. I think by year end it will be easier to get an ODY.
  • cardinal5cardinal5 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with liebesi. The MPV was in the lead when I started my search. However, the extra room, safety, resale value and styling (yes, I like the way the Odyssey looks) led me to order a 2002 EX-L. I don't regret my choice but I think I would be wishing I bought the Honda if I got the Mazda. After all this, I still think the MPV is a great van.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Two weeks is about right.
  • dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    Don't order it until you actualy see one. Color chips are very deceiving.
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    Going in, I wasn't sure that I would like the appearance. When I got there, I was quite impressed with the looks of the vehicle (Saw a black, red, silver, and white EX-L with RES). Mainly looked at the silver and I must say it looked very sharp. Not as good as the MDX, but good. Much better looks (exterior and interior) than the Odyssey (and I like the Odyssey very much). Maybe the '04 redesigned Ody will update interior looks and add Pilot's front bucket seats.

Middle seat in middle row is quite uncomfortable as people have noted. Kids may not care as much, but probably will notice during long trips. Adults definitely can't ride there without uncomfort. Both sides of the middle row were very comfortable and roomy for me. I'm 5'10" 195 and thought it was great. Front seats were very comfortable as well. More comfortable and form fitting than the Odyssey. I do wish they included auto seat adjustment for the passenger front seat as well. The dash, even though a bit complex (with RES, i.e. lots of turn knobs), looked very good and well thought out. The area bin between the two seats can be useful. I did however notice that the sides of the bin where maps where designed to go will accumulate lots of dirt, etc. over time and will be a hassle to clean. ....lots of cup holders, etc = more difficult to clean

Leather seats in the Ody are much more comfortable than the cloth, however, still less comfortable than the Pilot.

Back seat is basically a bonus seat. Anyone looking to used this seat all the time needs to look at the Odyssey. It would be bearable to sit back there but uncomfortable. You basically give up all of your storage space if you use this seat. I tried to fit my 14 mo. old's stroller in the back behind this seat and could not do so. We had to put down half of the back seat to fit it in. If you carry any stuff at all, you will need to put down the back seat and use only the middle seat. Both vehicles are about the same height and width inside, but the Odyssey is about a foot lower to the ground yielding much more storage space. You definitely can feel this difference in the seating as well. The distance from the the front seats of the Pilot to the rear was about the distance of my arms stretched out to my sides. The Odyssey was that plus about 4 more feet.

Both vehicles drove very nice. The Pilot was more loose than the Odyssey. We drive an Acura Integra now and the Odyssey definitely is tighter like the Acura. The Pilot was slightly quieter than the Ody. Vision for lane changes was slightly better in the Pilot. Front vision was about the same. First impressions were that I felt a little more in control in the Ody. Both drive very nicely.

Can't beat being able to move from the front seat to the back without stopping in the Ody, especially if you have kids or need to get stuff in the back. Sliding doors are a plus, with children and in tight spaces with the Ody. The EX Ody is about $2520 less than the EX Pilot. I told my wife that if they cost the same, the Ody still would probably win out. And with the price difference the Ody looks to be the winner for me. I'm banking on a dark blue Ody with beige leather interior either in '03 or '04(redesigned).
  • wrjohnsonpghpawrjohnsonpghpa Member Posts: 53
    Hi all, this is my first post to this board. Forgive me for being too lazy to look back and see if these items have been discussed previously.

The Michelin Symmetry(sp?) original tires on my '01 EX are about shot at almost 17,000 miles. I know this is, to a great extent, a function of how one drives--we drive a lot of short trips, but I was wondering what everyone else's experience has been. Any recommendations for replacements? I'm more concerned with longevity and wet/snow traction than I am dry pavement performance.

Secondly, and lastly for now, whenever my fuel gauge reads just above "E," all I can put in is 15 gallons! The tank's supposed to hold 20! That seems like too big of a reserve (5 gallon, 25%) to me. I'm happy with the mileage, but I'm only getting about 250 miles before the gauge reads "E." Anybody else experiencing this? I'd like to make less frequent trips to the gas station. My dealer did replace the "sending unit" once--no change. (He also showed me a Honda Technical Bulletin(?) that talked about how the gas pump light would come on when the gauge read about 1/4 tank; but that's not my problem.)
  • lxusruleslxusrules Member Posts: 33
    I am considering the LX ody model for buy. I want to know if I can install a keyless entry for the car. I'd like to buy it from the internetl honda dealer and install it myself. Or maybe I will go for the alarm and the remote.

Does anyone have experience with this installation? please advise

Thanks

Dan from CA
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You should get about double that on the tires or more. On the gas gauge/tank it's ok. This is due to the long shallow tank that is used on the van. It will also make the splashing noise when nearly full. Again a privilege of the Honda.
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I think it is definitely a well designed and useful vehicle. The fact that it starts out life as a front-wheel drive vehicle makes it even safer for most people in every day driving. The thing that really turned me off was the way that thing handled. It has the most disconnected steering rack I have ever experienced in a Honda product. Also, the thing was pretty sloppy in the corners compared to the Odyssey. I have not driven the MDX, but based on the reviews I have read, it has superior driving dynamic s. I'm sure people might be thinking, 'How can you compare a minivan w/ an SUV'. The reason you can compare them is that that are all built on the same platform. I'm going to stick w/ my Odyssey order. On the road, it is definitely a more enjoyable vehicle to drive. If you NEED 4WD or AWD, then by all means buy the Pilot. I would recommend you drive the Pilot and Odyssey back to back though. You may discover that the Odyssey is allot more enjoyable as a daily driver than the Pilot. I think that Honda made a mistake by making the Pilot's suspension softer than the MDX. It it just too sloppy for me. I know allot of people might be saying, but it is an SUV. But I say, this is a crossover car based SUV which really allows manufacturers to produce a superior handling vehicle than a truck-based SUV. Just drive a Ford Escape. Compared to the Pilot, it has amazing handling. The MDX is proof it can be done. I don't think there is any excuse for the way that thing drove. I'm not asking for a sports car here. I just felt very disconnected from the road. It has been a couple of months since I drove the new Ford Explorer, but I think that thing drove better than the Pilot. I'm sure Honda won't have any trouble selling as many as they can make though. It is a better alternative than most of the truck-based SUVs out there.

I think if I really want to go off road, I'll drive my Odyssey to the edge to the woods and get out my backpack and hike in!
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    Well, I have had my RRP 02 Ody for about 8 months now. About 11k miles. 98% pleased, kids love the DVD player (parents also on the day trips). Am going to start tracking mileage better, seems to be constantly under 20 (for city driving).
    Yep, the brakes click one time when you first start driving for the day (the pads releasing from the calipers?), then they are fine...yep gas tank has a slosh noise now and then (well I know there is gas there), yep when you (or the kids) press the sliding door buttons to many times to quickly, the doors sometimes get confused...just wait a sec and press it again. One think is funny, I have jumped into the back of the van with the "magic" seat down to change....when your back there with the back closed, you can't open it from inside...obvious when thought about but funny when you changed and then had packed all the stuff that was in the "well" up between the middle seats....oh, and of course it is really hot outside.
  • okarlokarl Member Posts: 6
    The fuel gauge has always been a problem for me. Like you when I fill up on the "E" it takes 13-14 gallons. I made several calls to Honda and they said that is the way it is. Lately when I have filled up I have topped off the tank and found that when the gas pump shut off I could still get 1-2 gallons more in. Now I feel that the gauge is closer to 3.5 gallons when on the "E". But now I drive 125-150 miles before the gauge ever gets off the "F" mark. The gauge just is not ideal.
    . One think is funny, I have jumped into the back of the van with the "magic" seat down to change....when your back there with the back closed, you can't open it from inside.
    Not really. Why would you want to be able to open it from the inside when the 3rd seat faces toward the front? Also you shouldn't be riding back there with the seat down (I know you weren't) so just another $50 or so to fit a useless rear tailgate opener there. Could use the $50 to pad the front armrests so the DC people wouldn't have ANYTHING to cry about.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    My understanding is that you are living with the result of the gas tank design. The Odyssey has a long flat tank to provide floor clearance for the third row disappearing seat. Because of it, there have been complaints about the gas guage since the larger Odyssey was released. The gas tank design is also responsible for the sloshing sound that some people complain about, as the tank gets less than half full.

Another thing that you do need to consider with the tank is that the fuel pump generally uses the gasoline as a coolant. Running the car dry can damage the pump. For that reason the manufacturer may provide a little leeway to ensure that the pump remains submerged.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Consumers' Most Wanted

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • lxusruleslxusrules Member Posts: 33
    Anyone bought the Honda Care package? What is a fair price for the extended warranty for this car? I was quoted $900 for 6/100K.
    Is this necessary and worthwhile? What are your thoughts? What are other people's experience with Honda Care?
    I am cosidering not buying one, and save money.
    has the 7/100/$0 for $875, my friend was just quoted $1425 from the dealer, way too high, I would pay $900 for the 7/100/0.
    You should be able to get the real Hondacare warranty of 7/100/0 for $900. Search here at Edmunds for a list of the dealers.
  • cass3cass3 Member Posts: 3
    2 dealers mentioned on these boards before are:

Dennis & Alex at Mendo-Lake Honda in northern CA (800-287-6727) - $645 for the 7/75/0 Honda Care warranty

and

Tracy McCrystal at 800-264-3275 charges $655 for the 7/75/0 . She charges $875 for the 7/100/0.

i called both (no problem that i didn't buy the car from them) - very easy and saved me a ton on warranty for my new odyssey (my dealer started at $2000 for the 6/100/50 and the lowest he'd go was $1150...
  • jalhjalh Member Posts: 11
    I saw the sandstone chip in a 2003 brochure. It looks darker than the Mesa beige. It appears to have dark brown chips in it. Dchopp is right though, based on such a small chip it's difficult to tell what it will look like on the vehicle.

I want a light-colored Ody with a beige interior so it is still the only option if I get a 2003. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I like it as well as the Mesa beige.

Regarding the MPV comparison: I really like the colors, dashboard styling (beautiful wood grain), hide-away 3rd seat and roll-down middle seat windows of the MPV (I haven't actually driven one - just looked at it) - but it's too small in comparison to the Odyssey. The 3rd seat might be acceptable for a small child but there's no storage behind it when it's up. It's pretty though. I really wish the Odyssey had the roll-down middle windows and better color combinations, but I'd still pick it over the MPV.
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    Roll-down center windows are overrated. When the front windows are down, airflow is directd to the back by the natural movement of the vehicle forward. Open up the rear vent windows and you get a real nice front to back flow. Unless you make a habit of sitting in the second row, who cares!

Go with the Ody, you won't regret it. I too looked at the MPV, but it is small and underpowered.

p.s. wood grain is available for a fairly low price on Ebay. Just make sure that if you want real wood, that it is real wood and not plastic. Search Ebay using Honda Odyssey - you'll see listing there. It's easy to put on too (3M adhesive backing on the pieces.)
    Ody's lack of roll-down middle windows or wood grain won't deter me from getting an Ody but . . . roll down windows would be good to have if the AC ever goes on the fritz and on nice spring/fall days.
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    I was told this when I bought the car and a number of times since then. Now a bright green sticker was place on my invoice, when I had my Odyssey in for service last week.

The sticker says:
    Dear Valued Customer
    You May Receive A Survey From
    Honda In A Few Weeks
    Excellent... Very Good.. Good.. Fair.. Poor
    ...Pass .... -------------Fail----------------------------
    Please note this is a pass or fail scale
    THIS IS OUR REPORT CARD WITH THE FACTORY; IF WE HAVE MET YOUR EXPECTATIONS WE ASK FOR YOUR SUPPORT BY GIVING US A PASSING GRADE
    THANK YOU.

It was further explained to me, verbally, that only an Excellent rating was a passing grade. Any other rating was a failing grade.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Unfortunately, the manufacturers rating system of dealers is extremely flawed. Anything less then excellent is a failing grade the dealership and your salesperson gets penalized for it. It would be easier to understand if it read Excellent= 100-81, Very good = 80-61, Good= 60-41, and so on.

How very good is failing is mystifying to me. I think excellent should be for outstandingly superior service, very good just what it says, Good= slightly better than average, and fair = average.

To compound the failings of the surveys many dealerships are "paying" for good surveys with coupons for free services such as oil changes.

So now when I see the ads: We have the manufacturers highest award for service the "XYZ" award it makes me laugh. Dealerships that have none of the service/satisfaction "awards" do make me leery.
  • scubieconscubiecon Member Posts: 8
    While I do not live in the area, I have read endorsements from others about Brown's Honda City in Glen Burnie, MD. Here is a quote from a post I saw from one person (others have many good things to say about this dealership)

"I wound up ordering from Brown's Honda City in Glen Burnie, Maryland. Their internet sales team was great to deal with. They did almost everything by email and took my deposit by phone so I'll only have to trek up there when I pick up the van. I got the van for $500 under MSRP (with no processing fee), which they said was their "January internet special." I don't know if they have a similar "February internet special" going on now."

Good luck. Hope this helps.
    Thanks scubiecon. I also recently read about the Glen Burnie dealership and contacted them. Unfortunately, there's a long wait for the color I want - sometime after the '03s come out.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I bought my 99 from Pohanka in Fredericksburg VA. I'd recommend them. Unfortunately my salesman must have left because I just got my 3 year old birthday card and it had a different salesman's name on it.
    I just got my 3 year old birthday card and it had a different salesman's name on it.

What are you doing driving at your age. In my state you have to be 16 not 3!
  • husker_fanhusker_fan Member Posts: 5
    i have a friend who ordered a Odyssey thru the local dealer. Is their a website or toll free number to track her order(production date & delivery date)?
  • ody99ody99 Member Posts: 3
    1999 Oddy EX- Reaching 36K miles. Took in for a Trans service. The service tech. said that Honda recommends that front brake pads should be replaced. How do I know the brake pads are worn or not because I don't know what was the pads original thickness. Do you have any suggestions. Thx
  • kemtidkemtid Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I are looking into purchasing a 2002 Ody in Granite Green. I was told by one local dealer that the Granite Green color is being discontinued. Is true? Or is that only for 2003 Ody? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Crank the steering full left and looking under van from front bumper and you should be able to see them good enough to gauge the thickness for your self. Than repeat with other side.
  • scmelvinscmelvin Member Posts: 5
    We are considering buying a small 2-horse stock trailer to haul my daughter's approx 500 lb pony to and from shows, etc. I have a 99 EX. Will my van be able to tow this trailer, or do I need to have a towing package installed? What is a towing package? Any ideas? Has anyone used their ODY to haul a small horse trailer? I am trying to avoid having to buy another vehicle just to tow the horse trailer, yet I do not want to do anything to the ODY's transmission. Thanks in advance for the help.

SMelvin
    I've been told by several dealers that Mesa Beige and Granite Green will be replaced in the 2003 Odysseys. The replacement colors will be Sandstone and Sage Brush Pearl. Also for 2003, new colors will be Midnight Blue and Nighthawk Black Pearl. The Night Hawk Black will only be available on the "leather" versions of the EX.
    You may want to browse around the Towing with a minivan discussion and take a look at this NHTSA article entitled Towing A Trailer.

Steve
    Host
  • pmsuitepmsuite Member Posts: 3
    My Ody LX 2000 has 21,000 miles, and the tires are bald. These are the Firestones Affinintiys.

I went to Tirerack.com. I think I am going to buy the Regatta IIs from Goodyear. The noise level was rated good by the other buyers. It also was good on snow. The Aquatreads seemed good as well. They seem to a good choice as well.

It sounds like it is not just the Firestones that go bald rapidly. I have seen people mention Michelins being worn out early.

My guess is the weight is heavier than other like vehicles. The tire sidewalls are just not stiff enough on the tires to handle the weight.

Anyone agree or disagree?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    You know...I never thought of that but this van, especially when loaded, is more like a light truck than a passenger vehicle. I was recently hunting for a second set of performance tires for my 2001 Pathfinder, and I settled on the Pirelli P-Zero Scorpions...they wouldn't fit the Ody but I think the Pirelli Scorpion S/T comes in sizing to fit the Ody (it's a performance oriented all-season light truck tire). My Pathfinder is about the same curb weight as my 2001 Odyssey EX (4300 lbs). Why not pick up a set of SUV or light truck tires for the Ody??
  • jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    My 99 EX warranty will expire in september. The dealer never offered me the extended warranty but I knew one existed from this forum. The car has been excellent and the only repairs I haev had to date were the clock light and evaluation of the door sensor. If I wanted the warranty now, can it be obtained. Is it the same price as anyone pays for the warranty or is it more since I didn't get it in year one. I read all the posts three years ago while I was waiting for my vehicle but have not kept up to date with them. Is there a preferred dealer on the internet who can set this up or is there an advantage to going with my local dealer. The car has been much more reliable than my 94 GC ES but the routine service experience doesn't compare to that on my 1990 Lexus. When the Honda goes in for an oil change, the bill is always $150 for all the inspections, etc. The Lexus dealer is happy to charge $30, give me a free loaner, and check out the brakes, etc. for no charge in anticipation of the service business. Also wish I didn't get the dark blue color which shows scratches everywhere.
  • selasela Member Posts: 5
    I am testing a one-owner '98 odyssey with 45,000 mi. It is priced at $15990, with a fairly decent trade-in on my Windstar. I would appreciate any comments. I do not want to take on this van if it has the potential transmission problems that the newer ody has. I do not think that it does, but please let me know. I have to decide by tomorrow. Thanks to all!!
  • jcrobertsjcroberts Member Posts: 54
    Here at 36,000 miles, I need new tires. I am looking into Costco's Michelins 215/65 0r 235/60 X Plus. I was told today of what a great tire the Goodyear Eagle is for minivans? Has anyone tired Eagles on their Odyssey? What do you think?
    We just returned from a 600 trip into the mountains of WV. 400 miles was on the interstate. I was pleased to average 24 mpg and how well the Odyssey handled on the hairpin curves. Only one of the three sons got sick in the back, having failed to fill up on Draemine.
    Happy Odysseying!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience with replacement tires. JR
  • mickeywdwmickeywdw Member Posts: 12
    I am dealing with the same thing right now. I have a 99 ody that goes out of wtty. in July. I am in the middle of ordering the wtty for $705 (including a $60 fee for being 2 yrs old and/or having > 24k miles) for 7/75/0 HondaCare. I am dealing with Dennis at Mendo-Lake Honda in northern CA (800-287-6727). Please tell him Bill from NY sent you.

Good Luck
  • popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    Firestones wore out at 50K on our '00 LX. Ordered Toyo 800 Ultra's from treadepot.com (68$)as replacements. Now have 10K on Toyos and couldn't be more pleased. Superior to Firestones in noise, handling, rain, etc. I think you'd be hard pressed finding more tire for the $.
  • moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    jcroberts:
    Tirerack is an excellent source of information at: tirerack.com
    They list user survey ratings along with tire info and excellent prices.

I replaced the Firestone Affinity's early on for our 99 Ody EX with Michellin MXV4 Pluses (235x60R16) initially quieter and provided much better handling, but at 45k, even with much tread left it's time for a replacement; they are harsh and noisy now. But I won't be spending $500 plus from Price Club for the next set.

Since the MXV4s, I replaced the tires on our 95 Grand Caravan AWD (Michellin Xones, 215X60R15)with Yokohama Aegis LS4s, and have been sold on Yokohamas, and for half the price of Michellins.

I'm looking to get Yokohama Avid Tourings for the Ody in 225X60R16, on the rim and out the door for less than $300. Anyone want a spare set of Firestone Affinitys cheap?
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    If cheap is free, I'll take them off your hands.
  • ladypilotladypilot Member Posts: 20
    Hi, I own a '98 Odyssey with just over 50,000 miles on it, and it has been a wonderful vehicle. We briefly thought of selling it for a new Odyssey, but decided against it. We've had several wheel sensors replaced, but that is the only problem we've had with it in 4 years of ownership. I think it would probably be a safe purchase to make.

Good luck!
    Please, no soliciting - take the tire swaps to email or eBay. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    The 98 Odyssey is much different that the current model since it was built on the Accord platform. 4 cyl vs. 6 cly, smaller, no rear sliding doors, etc. (but you probably know that). I wouldn't let the transmission concerns hold you up on a 99-02 Odyssey - it's a superior vehicle.

I also think $15,000 is a lot of money for a van in the 98 Odysey class - you're paying more cuz it's a Honda, a lot more. (I'm going to do something I almost never do here...) For that money, you could get yourself a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. If it were me, I wouldn't do it (the 98 Odyssey), but then, I don't know what your needs are. You may be satisfied with a small, 4 cylinder, 6 passenger van.