Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    An MSRP of $23,965 looks to me like that vehicle has the automatic transmission.

Why dont you simply ask for a clarification?

That would be a very good price if you could get the SE 4 5A with GU.

Good luck.

~alpha
  • gpdgpd Member Posts: 1
    I live in Maui from January to May each year and have been renting a four-door mid size for about 4,000 for the period. Is it sensible to continue to rent or should I bit the bullet and buy. I am very leery of these Hawaiian dealers and their ADP stickers next to the Moroney and wonder if many feel the way and buy on the mainland and ship to Maui. I am exploring the idea of buying either a new or recent Honda or Toyota without taking too much of a haircut.

Any advice would be really appreciated
  • maryh1maryh1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone recommend a dealer in the St. Louis area. I went to the dealer closest to my home (Feld), but they weren't budging too much off MSRP.
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    Check carsdirect.com and autonation.com.
  • wirwinwirwin Member Posts: 8
    Are the side airbags (specifically the "GY Side and Curtain Airbags" option) a dealer installed option?
  • cgauthiercgauthier Member Posts: 5
    I was told they weren't, and looking at them in the LE I believe they that. The bags are embedded in the seats, doors.
  • peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    Hi Alpha,

The dealer confirmed it's an AT, special order. He did not say how long it would take for delivery!

You are right. $21K seems a very good price for a Camry SE 4 cyl with VSC and all airbags. I would feel very secured for years that my and my children's heads would never hit anything besides the airbags in case of accidents.
  • wirwinwirwin Member Posts: 8
    Looking for recommendations on Toyota dealers in Austin Texas: I can go to Houston, Dallas or San Antonio if there is a dealer who is willing to work over the phone or email.

(Per forum rules, please reply only with dealership name and city, no contact information.)
  • gklatvgklatv Member Posts: 35
    2005 LE 4cyl. with Moonroof (SR) and Carpet/Cargo mats (CF): $19519 + tax - $500 rebate + $125 doc fee in Cincinnati last weekend. As I am not local there, negotiated this deal for my parents over internet and long distance calling. I think I could do a few/couple hundred $$ better if I’d be there in person to close the deal, but we all are pleased nevertheless.
  • bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    Re: your experience in getting quotes and trying to negotiate a better price, you wrote:

" No one budged much from their initial price until I told them "I am leaving to pick up the car from.. and I plan to pay this much, call me within an hour if you think we can do business." That is what it took to get serious price movement, but unfortunately the lowest bid came a couple hours later. If I had to do it again I would send the same message, a day before I plan to buy."

I'm curious, when you got the response from Hayward Toyota for $17,777, how much had they come down from their original quote? BTW, that was a good strategy... thanks for the report.
    This was my first quote from Hayward, though it was the 3rd time I'd asked for one. The final quotes were approximately -

17777 - Hayward,

18070 - Piercey

20350 ('Out the door', roughly ~18350 + floormats extra) Stevens Creek

~19000 - Capitol

19728 - Fremont

20578 - Putnam

Quite a big spread and I think you have to cast a wide net. One thing I noted when I went to pick up the car was how few people were in the dealership. I have a feeling (at least for the CA bay area), that the end of this month should have some dealers anxious to sell some cars..!
  • cg11cg11 Member Posts: 4
    A dealership in North Carolina if offering a 2005 Camry Auto, Power windows and locks for $16,988. To view the car, go to ebay and type in 4512639707. Tell me what you think! ASAP
    We had two dealers in the bay area w/ this price over the weekend (Fremont, Sunnyvale) so you may be able to find one local to you. But ~17k is the best I've come across for the LE "2532" model. Watch the fees. 0.02.
  • echodog1echodog1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

Has anyone encountered a 2005 Camry Standard with Automatic Transmission, Side Airbags and/or VSC?
    You can order ANY CAR/OPTIONS you want through your local dealer. Go to WWW.BUYATOYOTA.COM and request a quote.

Should be able to order one $1000 below invoice.
  • b0s6067b0s6067 Member Posts: 3
    hi,

I am interested in buying a Toyota camry LE 05 4 speed automatic. I just need standard equipment.

My question is:

1) is the Anti-brake, anti-alarm and airbag the standard equipment of LE 05?

2) currently, I got a quote at 18200$(after 1000 rebate). how is this deal in Houston area?

I appreciate if you could share with me your experience.

Best Regards,

b0s6067
    VSC is not an option on the Camry Standard.

~alpha
  • mistasvenmistasven Member Posts: 4
    05' Camry LE (4CYL/Automatic)

VIP, Mats.

$17895 after $1k Cash back.
    (Before T&L)

Should I take it or leave it??

Thank you guys a bunch!!
    ABS, front airbags and keyless lock/unlock with panic button are all standard on '05 LE. Alarm (VIP-?) could be added for $300-400 by the dealer.

Are there any options added to "your" 2005 LE 4cyl. Camry? If not, you probably could do a few hundreds better, although I am not in TX.
    Thanks for your information.

I just asked a standard equipment. (That is, maybe no other options for camry LE 05).

I quote through internet and have exchanged emails with the dealers many times. However, currently, it seems that no dealers would like to lower their price.

What should I do? How can I make them lower the price more?

Best Regards,
    You can't MAKE them lower the price. Try a couple of online sources (carsdirect, edmunds, etc.), and if their numbers are any better, make the printouts.

If you need/want the new car right now, just buy it at the quoted price – it’s not a bad price. My take is – few hundred $$ should not, probably, break the almost $20K deal. When you ready to buy, just pay a visit to the dealer. Tell them you’re ready to buy TODAY and show them your papers. Preferably, have your financing lined up prior to that. Let them believe that you are serious about buying right there on the spot, and they might “give” you the deal. However, you may want to leave and go to the next dealership, if they are not willing to work with you. Be aware of additional fees, like TDA (advertising), dealer preps, documentation. Good luck!
    Thank you for your information.

I would like to know, for camry LE 05,

1) is the front airbag a standard equipment?

2) is the side airbag a standard equipment? if not, how much will it cost if I want to add one?

Best Regards,

b0s6067
    OK, b0s6067. You're starting to repeat yourself - asking same questions again. Please, go to www.edmunds.com and find all the information there.
  • x_longhornx_longhorn Member Posts: 2
    Here is the deal I got a month ago with a Camry LE (4cyl, auto) after $1000 rebate: out-of-door price $19250 cash. Only two options added: 5-piece carpet mat and tilted window. I got the car from Sterling McCall in Housotn.

I feel that I can a couple of hundred better if I spend more time to work on a few other dealers.

My few suggestions: 1. alway working on the out-of-door price; 2. using internet and phone (cellphone is the best) as much as possible; 3. the end of year should be the best to get a good deal.
    Just checked Carsdirect and I'm getting $19,004 after rebate.

I think I'll bite on it... unless there are other opinions out there.

Thanks
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    That looks like a good price to me. It's almost $1,000 less than CarsDirect. I never though of going to Ebay for new car, a used car maybe, but not new. Thanks for the tip!
    If your replying to me, I'm not going through e-bay. I think there is another person up above that is trying to find one (4CYL LE) in Houston (I think).

I just went into the 1st dealership and just flat out asked them to lowball me and they did. I took that price around to 4 other dealers and the best the other dealers would do was match it. One dealer dropped $75.00 but they were too far out of town to justify the purchase.

If you were responding to the other person's post, I apologize.

In my case, I think flat out pounding the pavement and making a few phone calls got me the best price I could get.

Thanks!
  • saga112saga112 Member Posts: 5
    I just went to Darcars Toyota in Maryland and got a 2005 Camry LE V6 for $21250 OTD.

In case this information helps anyone, here's the breakdown:

2005 Camry LE V6 - invoice 19916

JBL Package - invoice 218

Side/Curtain airbags package - invoice 559

Cargo Net - invoice 34

Mats - invoice 114

Destination - 515

Total Invoice Cost = 21356

Dealer quoted me at $19923 which is 1433 below invoice.

To get to the total cost (21250), it was:

19923 for car including 750 rebate

100 processing fee (lame)

188 tags (20 more if we had financed)

5% tax

Darcars is kind of a shady dealership in that we spent 3 hours filling out extraneous paperwork (that I haven't seen at other dealerships) despite having told them to have everything ready, and a lot of hassling about trying to sign up for extended warranty plans. Overall it was the best price we found though, so we went for it.

Good luck!
  • coastdrivercoastdriver Member Posts: 18
    Purchased 2005 Camry SE V6 in November '04.

Paid $22,200 in Southern California. No dealer willing to go lower than that price.

No rebate, but received 2.9% financing. Overall impression: Great car and fun to drive.
    Awesome. The 225hp SE V6, now with the really sharp 17 inch alloys, is far and away my favorite-and the best- Camry. Which options did you get? $22,200 seems really low. How did you manage that? Can you provide more detail?

Happy Holidays to all!!

~alpha
  • kosekose Member Posts: 4
    05 camry LE Auto with side airbags&floor mats for 18,435 (after 500 rebate) and OTD of 20,265, what do you guys think? Thanks a lot.
  • hondaconvert1hondaconvert1 Member Posts: 60
    Consider the following...:

I got a 2005 STD Toyota Camry 5 speed manual for OTD $16,600 (a difference of around $4,000) w/o floor mats and with temporary spare tire. Their website is "http://toyotaofdurham.com/".

Good luck and happy car shopping...
  • john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    I also recently purchased a '05 Camry SE V6. I agree that it is an awsome car; power; quality; sophistication!! I paid a lot more (~$25.3 w/o rebate but 0% for 36 mos). I got the preferred premium package (leather; stereo, sunsshade)..., VSC, side curtain airbags, heated seats, adjustable pedals, special rearview mirror, and floor/trunk mats.

I also have a '04 Accord EX V6; its also a nice car but I give the nod to the Camry!
  • kosekose Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your info, wow, that is really a price, how did you get that?
  • d_kd_k Member Posts: 5
    Can YOU recommend any GOOD website where I can purchase a car directly?
    Actually, we were considering a base model Honda Accord and wanted to compare it with the base Camry to see if it was a good deal. The Camry was an "advertised" car...they were using it to lure people in so they could sell them an LE or other better equipped Camry...To our surprise, the STD Camry was exceptionally "loaded" for a base model and we love driving standard. The only thing that it doesn't have that we wanted was a cassette player...but we'll live with it...We bought an '05 Odyssey that has one.
    Hondaconvert and John_f, you folks should both post over in the Accord v. Camry forum!

Hondaconvert- the Camry Std. is much better equipped than the Accord DX, which most people dont realize doesnt even come with a rear stabilizer bar (much to the detriment of the Accord's handling, which becomes worse than the Camry's especially in emergency lane change manuvers where the Accord will easily swing its tail), but the Camry Std. doesnt have the Accords standard side curtains, and is priced a bit higher than the Accord DX (but not once you add A/C, which I think most people do.)

How do you like the Camry's 5 speed manual?

john_f- Thats still an excellent price for your loaded Camry, which is exactly as I'd want one. Which color combination did you choose, how do you like the VSC?

cheers!

~alpha
  • ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    John Farre -

You're the only person I've heard of who owns both the current Camry and Accord. You said that you prefer the Camry but you didn't say why.

Like Alpha01, I too am certain that many people here would like to hear your comparison of the two cars on the Camry vs. Accord forum.

What's hot, what's not and why?
    So far, I have no complaints about the 5 speed but I have only put 65 miles on the vehicle...still brand-spanking new. The nice thing is that my vehicle is imported from Japan as they don't assemble manual transmission vehicles here in the US.
  • john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    Alpha: thanks; I believe the price represents good value(compared to more glamorous Infinity G35 or Acura TL sedans for example).

We got white with dark grey leather interior; a very nice combination.

Regarding vehicle stability control, I like having it in case we ever need it.

BTW, I posted a more detailed comparison to the Accord on the Accord vs Camry board. Cheers!
  • pjainpjain Member Posts: 6
    Hi

I am in Atlanta area and am getting the following offer for 2005 Camry LE (Black with no options):

OTD = 18,500 after rebate. This includes a 7% sales tax so I assume that the dealers sales price w/o tax = 17,300 (approx.)

I am thinking there might be a margin of 500 dollars or so. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    Just grazing through the toyota website and it dawned on me that if you want a 4 cylinder automatic Camry the SE is a great buy. For about 1K over the LE four banger you get, better headlights, foglamps, blacked out grille, better upholstery, no fake wood on the dash, bigger wheels and tires, 4 wheel disc brakes (the 4cylinder LE deletes the rear discs and gives you drums), a sun roof, better suspension and some appearance goodies. That is a lot for a grand and sounds like quite a bargin. Opt for the V/6 and the price goes up a whooping $2800! Just an observation on my part but one to think about.
    Well said, macarthur2! I definitely agree... a well-equipped Camry SE 4 5A is indeed a great bargain. Unfortunately, though, in many areas its still difficult to get an SE 4 cylinder with side curtain airbags. That said, one of the frequent posters here, peter_pan, was able to find a dealership happy to work with him, and has preference ordered a Camry SE 4 5A with both side curtains and stability control.

Value: Camry SE 4 5A with Convenience Pkg, VSC, and Side Curtain/Airbags, Rear Spoiler, Alloy Wheels stickers at $24,070. (should be valid in most regions besides SET).

~alpha
  • lisa18lisa18 Member Posts: 2
    I was just in an accident last week on the beltway where I hydrpplaned and hit a side jersey wall...I am ok but my air bags never went off although my car is totaled. It was 2001 Camry XLE (loaded) and i loved it. My husband hydorplaned this past summer and my tires were very good so I don't know why it happened. It is my second crash in that car and i am ok. First was rearended. No one else was in the car. Had my baby son been in his car seat in the crash last week, the outcome would have been very bad. Now that I have to purchase another car I was looking at the Honda because the crash tests seemed safer although I have never owned one. Anyone know which is safer???

Also, my insurance will only give me 16,000 for it and I am not sure if that is fair. This car was loaded to the max with th ebest of it all..leather, alarm, 6 cd changer, 8 spkr, moonroof, etc.

Just wondered if anyone knew if that price was fair, if anyone had a hydorplane experience, or if anyone knew what a fair price was for a new comparable Camry....
  • fishing1000fishing1000 Member Posts: 38
    I got the following quote from a dealership for a Camry (like a Camry LE except that the car does not have keyless remote). Is this a good price? I would like to know in particular what the DPA (Dealer Preventive Application Fees ?) is. They told me that they charge the fee on every car they sell. It covers the etching of the VIN number onto the windows and payment on car theft and problems etc. I asked them to take away that charge but they refused.

Price 17,190.87

DPA 385.00 <- CAN ANY ONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THIS IS Tax 1098.49 Inventory Tax 43.59 License Plate 132.05 Document Fee 50.00 Total: 18,900
    Toyota of Orange, CA offered to order a 05 Camry SE 4 Cyl with GU option (VSC and all side/curtain airbags) for $21.7K after rebate and before tax, license etc...

I can wait for a few months for the 06 MY when Toyota will most likely offer all airbags as standard feature, similar to the Honda Accord.
    Toyota Camry models have Vehicle Stabiilty Control (VSC) which uses sensors to detect when the car is slipping, sliding or spinning, then modulates the brakes and engine power to keep the car in its intended path. It should reduce the probability and severity of hydroplaning and loss of control of the car.

The Accord does not have VSC option in any trim.

I posted IIHS safety test in the Accord Vs. Camry forum, where Camry's safety cage is rated acceptable, whereas the Accord's is marginal.

Single car accidents and fatalities make up about 50% of all accidents. It is wise to pay the $1000 for the GU option in the Camry, which has the VSC and all side/curtain airbags for front and rear seats.
  • jack16jack16 Member Posts: 1
    I can't answer your question about DPA, but I have an offer in Alabama for a similar car (but includes keyless entry) at 17,600; the "fees" are $200 so I net out (not including taxes and title) at $17,800 while you net out at roughly 17,625 w/o keyless. My offer looks just a little better (unless you hate keyless) and I did not negotiate so you might do just a tad better.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    "Also, my insurance will only give me 16,000 for it and I am not sure if that is fair. This car was loaded to the max with th ebest of it all..leather, alarm, 6 cd changer, 8 spkr, moonroof, etc."

Lisa: I was in an accident and my insurance company at first totaled the car. This was confirmed when an appraiser came to look at it.

However, My station wagon was a top of the line which my insurer had apparently overlooked. As soon as I made them aware of the features, they gave me more money for it. Do get on the phone and tell them about leather, 6 cd changer, 8 speaker and moon roof, and mention that your Camry was a top of the line model. Also if it had low miles may be worth more.

The money offered to you is what the ins. co. feels your car is worth at this point in time, but they do make mistakes. In my case, they wavered whether of not they'd declare it a total loss or not because when they checked the value of the car (which is done by an outside company)they realize that it was worth more and suddenly they were willing to repair it. I decided to take the money as I'd never have gotten the same money either on trade or on a private sell.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Glad to hear you're ok.
  • ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    My last car was recently totaled and the other insurance company gave me replacement value PLUS tag and sales tax. "Replacement value" was an average of retail blue book and identical cars for sale on the internet with comparable mileage. I was very satisfied with the settlement.

No need to rely on word of mouth for auto safety ratings - they're available online from NHTSA.gov and IIHS.org.