Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    We’ve spend almost four months with our 2001 EX. Happy to report no problems with the van since delivery and gas mileage is picking up slightly as we put more miles on it. Took our first out-of-town trip last week and was very impressed with the Odyssey on the highway. The seats are very comfortable, the ride is fairly quiet and smooth on the highway and the handling is pretty good for a minivan. Seems to have plenty of power--we had one occasion where 5 adults were in back and the van handled it very well, except for the suspension bottoming out once when I went over a dip in the road (a nasty sound, indeed.) It also has an excellent turning radius, far better than the Camry wagon it replaced. It looks like it will be a good vacation vehicle (the main reason we bought it, along with the need for more space). Anxious to take it on a longer trip, but that will wait for spring, giving us time to look into some kind of video system for it. Averaged 22 mpg on the trip with 87 octane. Grade logic worked very well on hills, downshifting and holding that gear when necessary. The amount of cargo room with the 2nd row seats out and the 3rd row flat in the floor is incredible. The Ody will go to the dealer this week for its initial oil change (3,750 mi.) $19.95 w/ free car wash.

The power sliders are great, but everybody that sees them says the same thing--”that’s really nice but you better hope they don’t break.....” (I still haven’t decided whether to buy the HondaCare warranty.) As it turns out, I think the doors might be the only good reason to opt for the EX. The roof rails are worthless without aftermarket x-bars, the stereo is terrible (even with the two extra speakers), the power drivers’ seat is nice but without a memory feature I have to manually switch the seat position every time I get a turn behind the wheel. The suede fabric on the EX feels better than the LX fabric but it can give a nasty static shock when sliding out of the seat.

I still can’t believe Honda considers the Odyssey EX in its current trim a top-of-the-line model. There just aren’t enough interior features compared with the top-end models from Toyota and Chrysler, but the price difference makes the EX a bargain. Honda really needs to add a base model DX to the Odyssey lineup and give the EX stuff like heated pwr seats w/memory, a premium sound system, trip computer, leather, video, etc. I’m sure they have taken a close look at the new Chrysler vans and hopefully some improvements are on the way. Overall though, we are very happy with the 2001 Space Odyssey.
  • swanson4swanson4 Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from a 2400 mile round trip in my 2000 Odyssey and confirmed that the seats are awful. My '99 Accord has great (comfortable) drivers seats. It doesn't seem like the Odysssey seats were built to the usual Honda level of quality. Does anyone have an idea on replacing or modifying them? For starters, it seems like they need a better lumbar support.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    There is a "I hate fog Lamps" topic in "news and views." You are not alone. Some poeple have an ax to grind over day time running lights.
  • ehetehet Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a GG '01 EX since the end of October. The only problem was that it was pulling to the right. Took it back to the dealer and they shifted the sub-frame per a service bulletin that was put out. I didn't purchase the extended warranty - have never been a big fan of those things. However, in reading about problems that some owners have had with the sliding doors, I am re-considering the extended warranty. Can I purchase the Honda Care Warranty even after though I have owned the vehicle for two months? If so, does anyone know where I can purchase it from. Does it have to be through my dealer? Thanks
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    Yes you can buy a HCW up to 3 yr/36k miles. Maybe even beyond (but at what price). I will probably do so in a few years. The best price for a 7yr/100mi/0 deduct warr seems to be about $895. My local dealer fell off his chair laughing when I suggested that price. He said he would not sell me one for less than $1600. However, you can buy this warr. from any Honda dealer! I have found one back East who said he would sell me one for $895. One thing to keep in mind is that the price goes up (a little) as you get closer to the end of the factory warr. The name of the dealer is D. Winnie at (518) 587-9300.
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I have no problem with lights of any kind. . . . . . . . . . just as long as. . . . . . . . . . they're aimed and USED properly.

I use 100/80watt bulbs in my 99EX. Since they're aimed and used properly, I never get a flashing complaint from other drivers; and, when I throw them on high beam, they literally flame throw the road.
  • ken128ken128 Member Posts: 1
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    Recaro makes some nice after market seats with full everything, including heating and ventilation. Plan on spending upwards of $700 each.
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    My guess is that once the Atlanta factory is on-line, the loaded Odyssey will be available as an Acura product for more $$.

Why should Honda improve anything on Odyssey? There is a waiting list for the current van, w/ many willing to spend over MSRP to get one. The answer is of course, that as dot.coms go out of busniess left and right, stock markets fall, energy prices remain high (and then prices climb on the food and goods that come to market via truck or other means that pay higher energy prices), there will be a dip in the demand for new goods, fewer workers will be producing those goods, we will slip into a recession and the demand for new vehicles will drop significantly. Then, only the best will survive. See, GM recently slashed Olds division and layed off thousands of workers (with surely more to come). These fat times are the most important time for automakers to make their customers smile - so they will come back as loyal customers in lean times.
    We'll see how my Honda does long-term. So far, I am less than pleased after 12 months (both power sliders messed up and cannot be fixed X 3 tries, and how many recalls are we up to now...?).
  • liz2001liz2001 Member Posts: 3
    Am looking into buying a EX within the next few months. Am curious about the NAVI system. Is it worth it? (I live in Southern California and we would use this for vacations in southwest). Have people been happy with the NAVI? Any big problems? Thanks for the help.
  • jmz1jmz1 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my Ody for about 2 months. Love it. Not one problem to date. Although it is a great van, there is always room for improvement. I thought I would mention a few minor things.

1. It came with Firestone tires. Should I be concerned about this?

2. Love the magic seat but it does have one set back. Where do you change the babies diapers. Since most vans or SUV's do not have a well, all you have to do is open up the back, lay a blanket down and change away. With the Ody, you have to change it in the back seat.

3. Can someone tell me the benefit of having the two middle seats come together? I think it looks ugly to have the plastic covers in the middle of the carpet.

4. I think the two handles on the back of the front to seats are a waste of space. There is only so much room for kids to enter the sliding doors and make their way between the front and middle seats. These two handles extend about two inches into the walk area. Again, nothing big but there is only a limited area to walk there to begin with and I can not see why these handles are needed. I have thought about removing them.

5. The tilt wheel really stinks. It only tilts about 1 inch.

6. Will someone design a captains chair that pivots the armrest down when the seat is reclined? For those of us who like to recline a little, it is uncomfortable to have the armrest always at a 90 degree angle.

7. The ODY needs to add a bell that rings when you exit the car and one of your kids has left one of the personal touch lights on in the back seat. There is nothing to help tell the daddy that one of your kids left the light on.

8. The low fuel light comes on way to early.

9. The back seat barely reclines.

10. How can a minivan not have built in child seats. Don't most (or alot) of minivan owners have small kids? This is about as stupid as putting a 4 cylinder engine in a corvette.

11. Hard drives armrest. However, my 97 Accord has the same armrest.

Anyway, I thought it would be beneficial to mention the not so great items on the ODY. It is still the best auto I have ever owned. Let me know your thoughts.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    You can "tilt" the 3rd seat back so that the back rest lays flat over the well and the seat cushion becomes a back rest. The manual discusses how to do this. It is a great feature for sitting on with the hatch open or changing baby diapers. Try it, you'll like it.
  • exindenverexindenver Member Posts: 32
    Finally took the '00 CSS EX on a long drive. RT Denver to S.F. on I80 over the holidays with wife and baby.

1. Mileage avg about 23.8 mpg with 80 mph avg speed. I get ~20 mpg around town.

2. I was worried about the driver seat but no complaints. May have been due to stopping every 2 hours when 11 month old complained.

3. Best thing about the Odyssey is the power. Find myself going over 90 mph when not using cruise control. No problems in the steeps even with a full load.

4. Van very quite over asphalt. Relatively low wind noise even driving into 45 mph gusts in Wyoming. Found our EX had unadvertised feature: singing tires over concrete. Didn't Honda test these tires on concrete highways? Definitely get new type of tires at replacement.

5. Speedometer read 85 mph when actually only going 80.4 mph. Not much else to do in the salt flats of Utah. Strange thing is that the odometer was not as far off. Higher by 0.8 miles over 30 miles (2.6% error vs 5.2%). This of course assumes the mile markers along I80 in Utah are accurate.

6. 32 oz of diet Coke makes a big mess in the back. Found out rear cup holders are not good for anything (never had to use it before). Had drinks fall out of the center tray cup holders before but the lids stayed on in that shorter fall. Honda should send complementary '01 rear cup inserts to all early Odyssey model owners.

7. I found out how much I really missed the convienence of the power sliding doors when the passenger sliding door stopped latching. Tried pulling out all the fusses to reset it but no luck. Just had to give it an extra push at the end of the travel to get the door latched. Didn't always work. Setting the door to manual was even worst. This is the first mechanical problem I've had with the EX. Hope the dealer can fix it. Glad I have Hondacare for the future.

All in all the EX was a pleasure for the long drive. Good ride and handling. Pretty comfortable and lots of room for presents and stuff. Magic seat came in handy In S.F. when reverting back to people carry mode.
  • swanson4swanson4 Member Posts: 2
    The handles on the front seat backs make a great place to hang a roll of paper towels. With kids, this is a must.
  • srainesssrainess Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Ody, which of course we couldn't
    test drive, because none were available...

I have 2 issues...

One being the positioning of the Drivers seat, and
    Dash. We use to have a Villager, and in my normal seating position, I found plenty of leg room, especially the knees.... In the Ody, I find
    that my left knee rests about 2 inches from the dash. I would not like to see what would happen to it during a front end collision.

The other issue, which has just surfaced because of the weather, is the lousy climate control. If you set the climate control, the heat/air comes out of all the front vents. On my Taurus, when the heat comes on, the top vents close, and the air comes from below. On the Ody, the hot air blasts in your face. I'm not sure if this is by design, or not. In my villager, the Air/Heat could come out of all of the rear vents. In the Ody, the heat can only come out of one small vent behind the passenger side sliding door. Takes quit awhile to heat the back of this van.

Any others with these issues ?
  • lisahhhlisahhh Member Posts: 22
    I have a one year old 00 LX, with nearly 19,000 miles. My breaks are starting to make "that noise", almost a grinding. This seems very, very early to need brakes checked and possibly repaired. Anyone else notice this at such an early stage?
    Do you have the EX or LX. The climate control on the EX has a mode switch, Check it out.
    A for your left knee being 2" from the dash. The Honda has a 5 star crash rating. Your Taurus sounds like a great ride. Were you lucky enough to test drive it before you bought it.
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Also had our Odyssey LX almost 2 months. Also no problems to date. So far about 16-19 mpg in a suburban commute, with the lower numbers being in worse weather conditions where the driving took longer. I don't expect to see comparable numbers until spring.

(2) I find the well behind the 3rd row seat ideal for changing. The Cargo Tray also makes for optimal containment. You can always fold the seat in or convert to tailgate mode if you want a higher platform.

(10) Most built-in seats I've seen are very spartan and uncomfortable, plus they provide little padding or protection for side impacts. They also often compromise seat comfort when not in use. The main benefit is that they are always perfectly installed. A properly installed aftermarket seat will perform just as well; make sure to have it inspected by a local expert. The new LATCH tether system should make installation a snap, and also make 2nd row seating changes much easier. Just remember that proper installation requires a lot of force on the seat in most cases, so you may want to use something to protect your upholstery from gouges and tears.

I have some minivan and child safety links at http://www.caviller.com if you're interested, including one on where to find a technician to inspect your installation.
    Since the baby changing and use for back of seat handles have been covered, I'll address some of your other concerns.
    1) I have the Firestone tires on my 99 EX. I have 30K miles on them and estimate they'll be good for at least 50K. They are not part of any recall yet. I check them at least once a month when I check my air.
    2) I keep both my second row seats together. It makes it easier to get into the rear seat. I bought an inexpensive plastic mat that I keep at the passenger door. It covers up those plastic floor pieces and provides some protection of the carpet.
    3) Having a bell go off when one of the kids leaves his light on. I would suggest that any child old enough to turn it on should be held responsible for turning it off. IMHO teaching your child responsibility now, rather than wonder how your teenager became so irresponsible is worth considering.
    4) Your comments about the inadequate tilt of the steering wheel and that the arm rests don't tilt with the seat reclined are legitimate complaints depending on your driving position. Maybe you could get in the rear seat directly behind the drivers seat. Then recline the drivers seat all the way. You put your feet over the back of the drivers seat and drive from a "chaise lounge" relaxed position.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Here is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's crash result photo of the driver of the Honda Odyssey:
    image see IIHS 1999-2001 Honda Odyssey Crash Results

Now, here is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's crash result photo of the driver of the Mercury Villager:
    image see IIHS 1999-2001 Mercury Villager Crash Results

'Nuff said?
  • ferg52641ferg52641 Member Posts: 10
    At almost 19,000 miles, your brakes might need
    attention. Do you do lots of stop & go driving?
    Do you follow so close that you constantly need
    to brake? Do you coast to stop signs or brake late?
    Are you the type who changes lanes and immediately
    brakes because of further congested traffic? Have
    you accidently left the parking brake on while
    driving?

With poor driving habits the brakes on any vehicle
    can be worn out in much less than 19,000 miles.
  • ihatemsrpihatemsrp Member Posts: 2
    I didn't know the TCS switch is to turn off TCS. Thanks for the info. The switch should be labeled TCS OFF, as well as the light. I'll still keep the van.
    Not truly a fair comparison, since my Villager
    was 6 years old. But if you look closely at the pictures, you can notice the difference in shape of the dash, in that the Ody's dash comes out further, before retruding. Better pictures, are on Carpoint. The reason I was bring this point out was that if someone is planning on buying this, definately get to sit in it, or test drive it first. We did not have the option, because as soon as the dealer got new ones in, they were gone...
    Yes, I had the chance to test drive the Taurus, and when we bought our Villager 6 years ago. We sold the Villager to get the Honda. We 'ordered' the Honda in February, and didn't get it until August. Not sure it was worth the wait. Its not that its not a good Van, its just I guess I expected more, considering all the press that it has been getting.

I know that the crash results are great. That was the main reason for the purchase. But those results are also dependent on the Height, Weight, and positioning of the Driver, and Passenger.

The problem is that, as mentioned elsewhere, there is no incentive for the dealer to give you a test drive, let alone, sit in the car to play.
    They sell them as soon as they get them.

Its not like their Hybrid car... They sell everyone as soon as they come in (according to the dealer). Considering they only get about 1, or 2 a month.

As far as the Climate control goes, it is set to 'fully' automatic. Now there maybe something else wrong with it (I have to speak to the dealer), because, when we set the airflow to come from underneath (Feet), it does change the all around flow, but air still comes from the 'Air Conditioner' vents on top. Just not as much.
    OK, they don't have the 1994, but here is a picture of the IIHS 1996-1998 Mercury Villager Crash Test driver's knees:

2" or 4" away to begin with doesn't matter much. It's where the dash ends up after the crash that matters....
  • lisahhhlisahhh Member Posts: 22
    I don't tailgate - my # pet peeve by the way. I do a bit of stop and go due to the horrendous traffic in Austin. I don't really fit the description you mention. My other cars have usually needed brake attention closer to 50K, not less than 20, that's why I'm concerened.
    You can go through the mode switch. It will not say full auto; but "auto" depending on your fan setting. If you hit the front windshield button you can adjust for defrost and heat. Nothing comes out the dash vents that are mostly for A/C. I hit the front windshield button and turn the fan to max for fast defrost as I then go scrape ice/snow off the windows.
  • darbasilsdarbasils Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 2000 EX in Maryland. It was a new EX, but it was built for Canada (daytime running lights, Celsius, kilometers, etc...) and sold to me as "used" as required (as we were told). The dealer changed the odometer from kilometers to miles, but did not change the temperature control from Celsius to Fahrenheit and refuses to do so without us paying for the change.

Has anyone bought a made for Canada EX model in the US and had the same problem? If so, how did you resolve it?
    ...it is not evil. You could try getting used to it :-)

Just remember, at 0 deg Celsius, water freezes. +30 degrees is hot. -30 degrees is bloody cold. +21 degrees is just right. Kinda neat...eh?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Celsius is not "ok", phil47. The greater precision of the Fahrenheit units (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit for every degree Celsius) makes smaller changes easier to understand. How come I never see/hear "it's 15.5C in Calgary today" (about 60 F)? I know it's used by some, but it's easier to use an integer to talk temp.

The metric system doesn't make sense for time either, except for lawyers who bill by the 10th of an hour anyway:-).

Note that darbasils (remember the point of this discussion?) got switched to miles from kilometers, so her speedo is now less "precise" under my argument:-).

BTW darbasils, someone should hop in here and see if you got some type of warranty from the dealer, since Honda doesn't (didn't?) honor the factory warranty on a Canadian Odyssey sold in the US under these circumstances.

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

ok, I admit I do prefer my "engineer's" tape measure marked in 10ths :-)
    I was just joking (that's what the little smiley face thing was for). By the way, my Nissan PF's climate control system does register in 1/2 degree C increments, although I usually find rounding to the nearest degree is just fine (unusual for me as I'm also a gear):-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was too (Drew will understand). There's a great thread on this stuff here where I stole most of my post.

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Very funny link by the way...
  • alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    I own 01 EX-NAVI for almost 2 months, and I love the Navigation System. I was not sure whether I need it before I bought the van, but they had this one in stock when I went to the dealer, so I decided to go for it.

I've driven over 2400 miles, and took a long trip from NJ to NH - around 400 miles each way, stopping and going places in Boston. Without the NAV system, it would have taken me much longer each time as I would need to use the maps and look at the maps while driving - the NAV system "talks" back to you, so you do not have to look at the screen at all.

I've found it to be accurate enough, although it has somewhere between 50 to 100 feet deviation. In most cases, it will not matter as its smarts figures out that you are on the road and not in the lake right next to it.

Besides streets and maps, it knows places (restaraunts, shops, gas stations, hotels, goverment offices, big companies, etc.) by either category, name, address of even phone number. It does not have phone number for private residences (that is OK with me :)

It zooms in to a half inch = 1/20 of mile and zooms out to see the entire US.

It remembers previous destination, current destination and allows to avoid routes. It has different routine methods (direct, easy, avoid tolls, etc.)

There are many more features which I can not simply cover here, but you should get an idea. If you have a question about a particular feature, post it and I will reply.

As far as ease to use and program, it is easy enough - but:
    a) I ve been a software developer over 15 years - there are not many things there that I can not figure how to use or get used to;
    b) It allows to program while driving - a dangerous feature;
    c) The A/C controls are hard to use as they require very firm screen touching and not always responde right away.

So, the bottom line - is it worth spending $2K on it ? I believe that if you are planning to travel places and not just drive around your city/town, then yes, go for it. Plus, it will add to your van's resale value and easy to sell when you get tired of it. I expect the NAV system to become more as a "standard" feature on most imported cars, so you want your van to have the "latest technology."
  • fencepostfencepost Member Posts: 8
    We just signed for our 01 LX Satin Silver today. I want to thank everyone for their advice, the checklist was especially helpful and I used it fully, much to the dealer's disappointment. By the way, didn't find a thing wrong.

Since we are overseas military in Germany, we had to pay MSRP plus $1500 destination fee. This was painful, but not nearly as painful as buying a Chrysler or Ford, which are the only other minivan choices. As it is, it's nearly impossible to get an Odyssey over here (US specs), so we were glad to get it AND to get a 60 minute test drive.

I have been told by the dealer that because we are overseas, the warranty is now only 24K/2year instead of the standard 3yr/36K. I don't trust him, so wondering if anyone knows the answer or where I can find it. Also, do you know if the 7yr HCW is valid internationally?

Anyways, after a blown up Plymouth Voyager (we bought used when we got here, thankfully seller bought it back) and a freezing cold, noisy, clunky VW bus (bought used also), we are going to have a celebration when we drive home our Odyssey next week. And next time you're bummed about paying MSRP, be thankful you're not in Germany!!! p.s. also enjoyed crash pictures. We owned a Villager in the states, which we loved, but feel much safer about the Odyssey.
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    I agree, with Odysseys leaving the lot shortly after they arrive there is not much incentive for Honda to look into adding another model. But......I just think adding a base model below the LX would give them more flexiblity in being able to add items that the EX really should include. If the Sienna XLE stickered for the same price as an EX, I think Honda would have already made such a change. Don't get me wrong, I think Honda holding the line on price increases given the popularity of the Odyssey is great. I just don't know how long the Odyssey will enjoy its current status unless they add some of the items mentioned earlier.

BTW, very disappointed to read about your problems w/ power sliders. I don't know if anybody has perfected the technology yet....it sure doesn't seem like it, eh? Here in Calif. they just added a new revision to the Lemon Law for 2001---if the dealer cannot sucessfully repair a problem after the third visit, it's considered a lemon. Don't let the dealer off the hook until they correct it. I love the doors but I still cross my fingers every time my kids reach for the door handle--shouldn't have to do that with a new car.
  • fencepostfencepost Member Posts: 8
    Must add that one of the reasons we didn't opt for an EX was the doors. The first Odyssey I looked at (1999 in the States), the dealer asked me to put my arm in the door and watch how it would retract once it hit my arm. I did this and thought my arm was broken! I told him I didn't think it worked very well and he smartly replied that everyone else seemed to like it. Anyway, with 4 small children, we opted out of electric doors. The other reason is that the wait for an EX in Germany is nearly a year. However, had the EX come with leather interior, we would have waited for it. There's nothing like the ease of clean-up with leather.
  • 2001ody2001ody Member Posts: 17
    First drive in the snow with the LX with now has traction control. I know if the light is on the TCS is off. When driving, if the wheels spin, the TCS light comes on, and at the same time I can feel the brakes applied. My question is - Is the TCS light suppose to come on to tell me that the TCS is working - OR is it on to tell me that it is not working?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The light will flash telling you the TCS is being applied.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Singing tires are actually classed as a "Feature". Under the proper road conditions they can be taught to sing Verdi Arias.
    Not particularly being an opera fan I wonder, can we get them in Rock or Alternative versions?
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Just remember that the Odyssey isn't over until the fat lady turns off the engine. Don't mean to offend anyone.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I would worry more about having a warranty than the gauges. No Canadian Odyssey has a warranty in the US unless its a aftermarket which may or may not be honored at most dealers.
  • dunindunin Member Posts: 2
  • dunindunin Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    New to this board. I purchased a 2001 Odyssey and live in northern Ohio. Salt is sprayed every where. Planning to keep the van at least 10 years.
    I was wondering if I should rustproof it or if this rustproofing is just a load of bunk.
    I know they do not cover surface rust, which is usually all I get.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Betty
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    how much does 20 gallons of gasoline weigh?

also, i happen to love the little well for changing diapers. my son is so wiggly and squirmy, this guarantees that he won't fall out the back!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "FRIDAY FREEWAY"
    Car Chat
    Date: Every Friday
    Time: 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET

About This Chat
    This chat is an open chat with hosts and members with similar interests to meet, chat, play trivia and talk cars (or whatever you
    want to talk about!) This is YOUR chat...come join in!

Click here!
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/chat/freewaychat110300.html

We look forward to seeing you! I know that I'll be there :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon I figure gasoline to be about the same. and ditto on the wiggly squirmy, I have an 18 om old with the same problem and the rear cargo hold is the greatest for changing him. this has been an outstanding van for our family no problems at 8000 miles. plenty of room for all the kid stuff.btw nice post carleton1
  • den350den350 Member Posts: 1
    After a year of negotiation with my Honda dealer and Honda Motor Company, I have successfully won a court ruling against H.M.C. under the New York State Lemon Laws. As of yesterday, Honda Owns our 2000 Honda Odyssey again + rental fees for the last 10 1/2 months. Not once did they repair the engine properly or offer us a new minivan. I will NEVER again own another Honda automobile. Say what you will about domestics, I never had a bad experience with any of our Chevrolets, Pontiacs and one Cadillac.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    But I still bought more GM as I realized that no company is exempt from having a few bad cars. A friend (Judy W.)had a very bad 91 Honda Accord EX...but now has a 2000 Accord LX bought NEW. She realized that her bad Honda was rare since an earlier Accord LX had zero problems.
    It was unfortunate for me that I happened to know a few people with bad Accords. Otherwise, we would have waited for our 99 Ody LX. Our 99 GC SE has run perfectly...but Chrysler products do NOT retain value as do Honda and Toyota. Because of the poor history of Chrysler, I will lose $$$$$ by the purchase of a GC instead of an Odyssey unless we keep it forever.
    However, I am not bitter at DC. Our GC is an excellent vehicle. Who knows, my paper loss is in fact NO loss...unless I try to sell. Just like the big Net Worth many people falsely assumed they had with their over-rated stocks a few months ago.I decided to publicly "eat crow" in front of my Odyssey friends and remind all prospective buyers that the Odyssey at MSRP is a much better value than any other minivan even with huge discounts, rebates, incentives on the others.