Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
edited January 2014 in Toyota
What is this car going for? How close to Invoice? Anyone know of any incentives on the horizon?

Comments

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    This car goes anywhere from several hundred over to just a bit under invoice, depending on where you are looking.
  • gymswimgymswim Member Posts: 7
    I shopped around in California and got a great deal from Longo Toyota in LA. The Bay Area dealers in Northern California were all asking about $800-$1300 more for the same vehicle and equipment.
    I bought my new Camry with Navigation and Options 7+9, plus heated leather seats for $2808.
    Bill
  • davewilloughbydavewilloughby Member Posts: 4
    My local dealer advertises the base model Camry LE (CE was dropped I believe), with auto and a value package which includes air/p-windows/p-locks/p-mirrors/am-fm-cd.

I purchased a new 2001 Camry CE in January 2001, like equipped, from this same dealer for $16,990 (about $1100 below invoice). All I added was after market cruise for approximately $300. The Toyota is a great car, and great ride, although driver's seat is a little uncomfortable. I am averaging 30 to 32 mpg. (Reason for the Toyota, my daily round trip drive to work is 105 miles per day, and I want this car to last me at least 7 years.)

My wife's car is a loaded 2000 Taurus SEL, also a great car, (28 mpg on the highway).
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I am trying to determine if a 2002 Camry LE with a 4 cylinder engine, keyless entry and floormats going for $18.9K +tax and tags is a good deal for the NorthEast. I really don't think the $377 advertising fee is something I should be paying or fully paying. I thought it customary to pay 1%? The dealer says Toyota charges them this much.

All you Camry buyers out there...WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR THE TDA / ADVERTISING FEE?
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    What will they think of next? I would love to hear Toyotas justification for charging for this obvious overhead item. No one should ever pay an Advertising fee on any product purchased. This is pure and simple a cost of doing business which should never be passed onto the consumer. Can you imagine buying a mattress or TV and finding an Adver. fee on your bill. You would laugh at the salesperson. What's next,a building rental fee,retirement plan fee, salesforce salaries fee,office supplies fee,all of course 'needed' to sell a car? How about a telephone charges fee,a healthplan fee, corporate insurance fee;I could go on all day! Heh Toyota, how about a rubber band fee, a paperclip fee,a ballpoint pen fee,and lets not forget the cost of the actual paper invoice which is on the side window,that's at least another 25 cents they could make. This is fun.
    You're right, they should simply add it to the cost of the car the way other product manufacturers do.
    Your last comment hits the nail on the head..just add it to the profit of the car...I'd respect them a lot more. It's like when you go to Disney World or Hershey Park and have to pay to Park! It's just another way to raise the cost of admission w/out raising the ticket price!
  • sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    That's (slightly) different, since only some (99.9%?) of the people who go to Disney World actually park there. If you take the bus, or walk from downtown Orlando, or something, you avoid the parking fee. There is no way to avoid the advertising fee.

Of COURSE Toyota needs to pass the advertising fee on to its customers. They just don't need to break it out as a separate line item.

There was a great ad for a hotel room I actually saw in some magazine a few years back:

"Two adults stay for just $1.99 (*) per night".

The (*) leads to some very small print that says:

"Parking: $59.99 per night. Parking is mandatory."
  • sidvtsidvt Member Posts: 1
    Hi gymswim. Did you mean you paid $28,000 for the Camry? If not, can you tell me how much you paid excluding tax and license?
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    We will start looking at Camry XLE's and the only option that we might be interested in is the sliding glass moonroof. Does anyone have an idea what would be a real good price for this car in the Chicago and NW Indiana area?
  • hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    You might try the CARMAX dealership in Kenosha, WI. On their web site recently I saw a 4 cylinder XLE for $22,678 (excluding tax, title, & license).This car had everything - power moonroof, leather, etc. The MSRP on it was $26,004 and their price was $3,326 below it and about $430 below invoice.
  • hallagehallage Member Posts: 24
    what is this? worth the money, or just another thing to break? Thanks.
  • qwu2001qwu2001 Member Posts: 3
    Bought an XLE 4 cyl. with side airbags and carpet for $21350, excluding tax,title,license etc.
    2002 4cyl Camry LE automatic. Options: mats/Cargo Net, Spolier, Alloy wheels. (options installed at port - 3 week wait) $19,700. This includes ad fee and doc fee for xferring plates. Does not include tax. Hope I did ok...
  • rruthlynrruthlyn Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to purchase an XLE within the next week within the NY/NJ area. Can I really get this vehicle "a little under invoice? I only want the additional options of airbags and all weather mats. HELP!
    Make sure it is available. Go to www.toyota.com and use the "Build Your Own" feature. I doubt you can find an XLE with so few options.
  • sam_beaversam_beaver Member Posts: 61
    In Massachusetts, at least when I was buying (April), it seemed as if all the 4-cylinder XLEs came with just airbags and floor mats. We had to special order to get something else added.

Now, if you want a 6-cylinder XLE those are hard to find without leather, moonroof, etc. etc.
  • alharalhar Member Posts: 11
    here in the Northwest. Most have Package 8 and list for 26K+. I'll have to order mine and it won't be below invoice. Don't I wish.
  • lookenlooken Member Posts: 4
    I just signed papers today (actually yesterday since it's 1:00 AM) for a 2002 Camry V6 pkg. 3 with alloyed wheels and floor mats for 22,000. After reading your posts it sounds like I paid too much and should take advantage of the 3 day loop hole. I'm in the midwest area. Can anyone give me input?
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    What 3 day loophole? I don't know of a state in the union that offers a 3 day "cooling off" period. Typically this only applies to door-to-door sales.
  • brianwybrianwy Member Posts: 2
    From what i can tell, dealers in atlanta are offering some good prices on 2002 camrys. i just bought an le with auto and package #1 4 cyl. for $18,150 plus tax and tag about $1000 under invoice. i also financed with them at a competetive rate of 6% if anyone is looking, email me and i will tell you what dealers are offering some good prices, i spent quite a bit of time getting quotes from dealers in the southeast and it seems the atlanta market is extremely competetive. brian
  • hallagehallage Member Posts: 24
    I can't figure out how to find your e-mail address. I live in Atlanta and want to find out what dealers to go to.

Thanks.
  • brianwybrianwy Member Posts: 2
    you can email me at deals4golf@hotmail.com

thanks
    brian
  • lookenlooken Member Posts: 4
    So okay, I learned the hard way and got lucky. There is no 3 day loophole but the dealer was nice and let me out of it. I had signed the paper Saturday after closing and it hadn't really been processed and I called as soon as they opened on Monday morning, so the car wasn't really off the lot.

From your price of 18,500 maybe 22,000 wasn't too too high since this was a V6, with the package 3 and alloy wheels.

I still wouldn't mind hearing more prices.

Thanks so far
    looken
  • lilybeanlilybean Member Posts: 18
    I just signed for an XLE 2002 (the basic) in Minnesota for $20, 490. This included free floor mats and 3 free oil changes. I didn't get any extra discounts for hold-back money, even tho the car will be ordered. I still wonder if I shouldn't have waited for a 2003, but I guess it's a moot point now. They did try to pull the "whinny-whine" about advertising fees, but it's a dealer-ploy, more than a Toyota mandate, in my opinion. At least I didn't get stuck with that one, thanks to the good folk here! I get the *feeling* that I could have dealt a little harder, but I am new at this. The warranty negotiations are still ahead. I've heard that these can be negotiated quite heavily too. Does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks in advance,
    "Lily"
    The will no doubt throw out a figure way too high. The will even try to include a number of freebies to make the price seem more reasonsble. Keep the following in mind:

ONLY consider the platinum warranty with a zero deductible.

Based on previous posts a fair price for the 6/75 platinum with $0 deductible would be about $850. YOUU CAN DO BETTER ON THOUGH by shopping around at OTHER dealers for a warranty. Just pick up the phone or send an email. I got a 7/75 for $675!!!

Pull up some of the posts by CLIFFY1 for some very poignant veiws on warranties or better yet email him with questions.
  • michaelm10michaelm10 Member Posts: 11
    Considering purchasing 2002 Camry XLE with package # 8 and side air bag option. Edmunds TMV for this vehicle with package and option indicates $23,372. I live in the Baltimore, Md.region. Would appreciate knowng if anyone living in this region has paid TMV, or close to, TMV for this vehicle. If so, will you be good enough to list the dealer and location. I don't mind traveling a reasonable distance. Thanks
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    22,000.00 plust ttl is a heck of a good deal for a v6 le. You might be able to shave a 100 bucks or so, but is this the car you want? If it is then go for it. V6 Le's are getting hard to come by right around now, transition to the 03's is just around the corner.

: )

Mackabee
  • suziq1suziq1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Houston . What is a great deal on a V-6 Camry LE with Pkg.# 3 and Leather?
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    The 2003 Avalon is already here in upstate New York. When is the 2003 due to come out?
  • saiboysaiboy Member Posts: 1
    I am in northern virginia. One dealer offer me $19,999 for 2002 Camry LE with package #3, ABS, and side air bag. This is the best offer I got so far. All other dealers offer me around $21,000 showing me a paper which shows $21,003 as the invoice price. Should I go for it?
  • cweinsteincweinstein Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there are rebates or incentives for 2002 Camry in july I live in N.Y.N.J area & what the financing rate is
  • michaelm10michaelm10 Member Posts: 11
    I can't find the invoce price for All Weater Mats for 2002 Camry. Will much appreciate info. concerning subject.
  • balaramcsbalaramcs Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sai,
    I live in N VA too. I am planning to buy the car with same options in this week. Can you please let me know which dealer gave this deal. Or send me your contact info so I can clarify my doubts.

Thanks for your help,
    Ballu (balaramcs@hotmail.com)
  • entrnentrn Member Posts: 4
    I bought 02 Camry XLE 4 cyl with floor mats, Front and rear curtain airbags in the south new jersey area for 300 over invoice including the adv fee and stupid dealer decor pkg (pinstripes door edge guards and window etching) for $21592. Gave me 14k for my trade. The actual trade value is 12.5k with the miles. One dealer offered me 10k at first and went up to 12k.. they would sell for 100 over invoice. I walked on them! Went to dealer 2 and got above deal. ALso got the color I wanted. Now here comes the bad part. While doing the papers the salesman came to the desk and had a sad look to his face. He said he was gettting into the car and a lady customer backed up into the car and hit the rear bumper and scratched it. Went and looked at the car and it had 2, 6inch x a quarter inch Black scratches on it. No internal bumper damage or spider cracks. Everyone was mad. I asked if we can do a dealer trade but the catch was I would lose the pinstripes edge guards and etching that was included in the price. They would not credit me for it. They offered to paint entire bumper and give a rental for the day and 2 free oil changes. I agreed but no oil changes I wanted money off the car. They took off another 100 bucks and I accepted that. They guarenteed that it will be good as new. I know that sometimes the cars come banged up or scratched from delivery and the body shop takes car of it. People buy these cars all the time and never know that something happened to it in the delivery process. I figured this was minor and unloading my trade was more important. My trade was a major problem and I was getting want I wanted for it. I probably could have found a cheaper price of a couple hundred off but the trade was a big factor. I know all in all the dealer always winds up on top. But know they have to put a grand or so to fix the rear again for the 3rd time. So maybe I am on top? No more headaches and hopefully this car holds up to its reliablity stats. THis is my first toyota. What do you think? Would anybody do any different in my situation? Anybody find a cheap price for exteneded warranties 7year/100k/0 ded? They wanted 1100. I know somewhere in this country there is a cheaper price. Thanks for listening.
  • rieszriesz Member Posts: 3
    I'm a grad. student. I want to buy camry LE.
    But the price which dealers suggest is so high.
    They all said the price below invoice is impossible.
    The maximum discount among them is invoice +400.
    Is this possible??? I think the 2003 camry is in the offing, isn't it? Probably, this August???
    What should I do?
    I'll buy it if I buy the car at the invoice price, just.
    Please, advise me.

Thank you in advance.
    I've seen them below invoice in California, your part of the country is harder to deal.
  • boughtacamryboughtacamry Member Posts: 1
    First, thanks to all who have participated in this discussion...it helped us figure out at the beginning the buying process what a real-world "fair" price range might be for the car. In the end, we did very, very well and paid well under invoice, mostly due to a a short-term dealer-specific discount. Here is what we got and what we paid and where we got it:

Camry SE V6, Lunar Mist exterior. and Charcoal interior. Option Packages were: "GK" (leather, keyless entry, power drivers seat, JBL 6-CD changer with extra speakers, rear sunshade, cargo net, power moonroof), "HD" (heated front seats), "BE" (extra front airbags), and "Z1" (carpet cargo mat set).

MSRP: 28,294
    Invoice: approx 25,300
    Dealer's posted "no haggle" price: 25,398
    What we paid: 24,898 (due to a $500 "coupon" valid at this dealer through 7/15/02)

Purchased the vehicle at Carmax/Laurel Toyota in Laurel, Maryland...about halfway between Baltimore and DC just off of I-95. Had a great experience...arranged the whole purchase and financing (presently 2.9% for 36 months through the end of July) over the phone, sprinted 90 minutes down from Wilmington DE, arrived 10 minutes before closing, and were on our way with the new vehicle very quickly.

Best of luck with your own purchases...
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    Let's hear some more recent experiences purchasing 02' Camry. I am in NYC/NJ/PA are and looking for hot deals on 4 cyl. Camry SE. I would like to hear about good deals in neighboring states as well. Let's hear it all !
  • myvan1myvan1 Member Posts: 6
    I live in Phx, Az. I just purchased a 02 LE 4 with auto, Pkg#2, moon roof and tinted windows for 18,500 including des. charge and ad fee. It came out 20,978 after tax and tag.
  • schuangschuang Member Posts: 2
    myvan1: You got such a good deal for your LE Auto. I am also in the market for a Camry LE Auto with Package #1. The best quote I got is 18,788 including des. charge but not ttl. Is there any trick getting such price as you've got? Or is AZ simply have cheaper cars than CA?
    Tam, did your Camry have the Moonroof as a stand-alone option? I haven't seen many that way. The price is better than I've seen elsewhere, and usually Southern California is cheaper than AZ.
    Check out latest prices paid in 02 Camry LE forum.
  • tigerboytigerboy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Camry LE with a 4 cylinder engine, automatic, keyless entry and floormats for $19350 (including everything, TTF). I hope this is a good price. The dealer told me that they are losing $800 for selling this car to me. The MSRP is $20709, TMV is $18837 and Invoice is $18402. I am almost $400 below invoice before TT. The dealer is in Virginia.
    Ray, the Moonroof is stand alone option. By the way, I had to go to the dealer two times and the manager called me on the phone negotiate the deal
  • jmedlinjmedlin Member Posts: 2
    Two weeks ago I bought my wife a 2002 Camry XLE, 4 cyl. The only option we added was floormats. We paid $20365, plus a $150 doc fee - $20515 total. With tax and title it came out to $21250 "total, out the door".

We live in central Alabama.
    Some of you can't think beyond the so-called invoice barrier. Why must all bargaining be centered around that potentially misleading by dealers/manufacturer figure ? WHAT IS INVOICE ANYWAY ? Does anyone know where that number comes from ? What is the meaning of invoice ?
    James, you paid 20365 + 150 doc fee = 20515 +Tax + Tag = 21250 out the door. How much did you pay for the tax? Is it less than 1 percent? I paid 8.1 percent.
  • jmedlinjmedlin Member Posts: 2
    MyVan1 -

Tax here is only 3.5%. Title was $16.50. I think I got an OK deal, but I wish I'd waited another month and gotten the 3.9% financing that's being offered here now.
  • mr24memr24me Member Posts: 2
    HELP? I AM READY TO BUY A 02 OR 03 SOLARA SLE WITH SUNROOF AND 6 IN DASH CD CHANGER. I LIVE IN SO. CAL. FIRST QUESTION.... WHAT IS THE LOWEST OUT THE DOOR PRICE ANYONE IN MY AREA HAS PAID FOR A SIMILAR CAR?? SECOND QUESTION.... HAS ANYONE SEEN A PICTURE OF THE 03??? ACCORDING TO TOYOTA THEY ARE NOT RELEASING ANY INFO. ON THE CAR FOR ANOTHER 4-5 WEEKS!!! THANKS, MARILYN