Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    I used the figures on www.carsdirect.com throughout my buying experience and found them to be very close to what the dealer had on his sheets.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Ask to see the invoice.

Do you know how the car is equipped? You left out the mats in your first post. What else is on the car?

Do you have a written quote?

A copy of the dealer listing itemizing the equipment?

The only car you are going to get for under dealer invoice is a base CE or a base LE that the dealer advertises as a loss leader.

You can't seem to comprehend that. Read this forum starting at #1.
  • ncognito13ncognito13 Member Posts: 66
    Here is the car..2007XLE, magnetic gray, veh stability control, floor mats, 4 cylinder, cloth...thats it. What I "cannot" understand is...WHAT IS THE REAL DEALER COST?? Is it what Consumer Reports quotes which is $22,609 before the $489 dealer holdback..they call it dealer invoice price, consumer reports wholesale price(what dealer paid for the car)is $22,120.

What I based my offer on is $21,540 which is minus the $580.dest. I then multiplied their wholesale price by 1.06 to get the cost + plus their profit 21,540+ 1292.40=22832.40. Then I add the 580 dest and get $23,412.00 which is what I offered to buy the car for. Their offer was $24,065...as low as they said they will go.

All I want to know is are the figures that I am using from consumers accurate to show the dealers true bottom line cost. I have looked on MSN and they show the dealer cost with my options as $22,383 x1.06=23725.98+580.00=24305.98.
    MSN says that there is a holdback but does not list the amount.

The dealer is entitled to make money. However, in everything I have read the profit should be from 4-8%. I am figuring at 6% because the car is in demand. I am not looking to buy the car below invoice. I am looking to buy the car at a fair price to me. My figuring has also allowed for a nice profit for the dealer as well, a win-win.

I have the final quote on my email. If i were to accept their offer I would have them fax the signed copy of the purchase agreement to me with their signature on it as well as all the numbers. That is where i got stuck the last time...quoted a price in writing that the dealer NEVER signed and then they tried to jack the price up. I didn't buy that car from that dealer. I was young and dumb then and that will never happen again.

The sales rep offered to show me the invoice sheet from toyota which she states is 23,600 and she added 800 per management to give me her orig offer. From what I have read,,,seeing the invoice means nothing because the consumer does not know about all the spiffs, incentives, etc that the dealer gets from the manufacturer.

I have included all my figures here and the exact equipment on the car. I am about 650 apart with the dealers offer and I am not budging as I have already budged..lol.Just trying to know what the true numbers are thats all. As I said previously, if consumers #'s are too low I will NEVER BE ABLE to buy this car at what I consider to be a good value for me. My good value is what I offered to them that they turned down.

I have read most of this thread and not too many XLEs here equipped my way...that is why I am looking for some guidance. Thanks again....
  • just1guyjust1guy Member Posts: 19
    When i was ready to purchase the 07 Camry I didn't care what the dealer hold back was or what the MSRP was , or what the dealer paid for the car or what his profit was on the car .
    I read all the posts regarding buying the LE with auto trans,figured out who got the best price and then got a dealer to match it via email . Then I walked in , gave him a down payment and paid the balance when the car arrived.
    Simple and fast.
    So you won't get a car. Stop fretting about it.

Nobody on this forum would have purchased a Camry figuring the way you do. maybe a 2006 Honda Accord.

Maybe you can get a new 2007 for that price when the 2008's come out.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    -- Dont get caught up in the numbers game with dealers.
    -- The price for the car you want is what it is... the dealers know they have a hot item so it does not matter how much profit you think is fair... it does not matter what Edmunds or Consumer Reports the invoice price is the price is what it is.
    -- Never make an "offer" base the price you are willing to pay after the dealer tells you what the OTD price is...
    -- The price from the dealer is what it is.. take it or leave it the dealers know they will sell it soon for their price.
  • thisisnutsthisisnuts Member Posts: 15
    I'm considering the 07 Camry LE. + Sunroof + Vehical Stability Control + Preferred Premium Accessory Package. Not sure about the JBL.

Has anyone in the Brooklyn, Queens NY area been able to get a great deal on such an item. If so what dealer is recommended and what price was paid?

Considering that I'm interested in only two colors, Titanium Metallic or Magnetic Grey Metallic (other colors reminds me of the pastel colors of the old Miami Vice TV show days), I may have to order or just wait a little until the dealers get more in stock and just check their inventory online.

Any suggetions on the best config for the LE more than welcome.

TIA
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Ncog, do get caught up about the dealer cost of a particular cost. Instead focus on the best price you can get and what are other car that interested in. In the past, I paid 1000 below invoice (04 Accord couple) and MSRP (02 Lexus SC430). How much dealer can get away with a particular car depend on a lot of factors. If a lot of people is willing to pay MSRP in your area for a particular model, you can be certain that you will pay MSRP or no car. If you are in a small town with only one or two Toyota dealer, you may have to fly to a metro like LA to get a good deal. Car price are set by local supply and demand. If a dealer can find a buyer willing to pay higher than you, the will sell the car to that buyer. At the same token, if you can find a better deal somewhere else, you won't buy it from your local dealer either. With so many competition out there, if Camry don't work out for you, you can always shop for an Accord or Sonata, or G6.
  • iggy38iggy38 Member Posts: 5
    I car shopping for my friend. I have recieved multiple quotes on a 4cyl SE. The best one I have recieved is

22.5k + TTL
    Floor Mats
    Leather
    Rear Lip Spoiler
    3 yrs of Oil Changes Maintance.

Please let me know what anyone else thinks. It would be a customer order as they do not have any on the lot. The southeast seems to be more expensive. I am in florida.
  • chitarristachitarrista Member Posts: 1
    Hi Martinf, can you please help me to find which dealer gives out deal like the one you got. I had asked several dealers about the '07 Camry LE Auto Trans. for $18700, but they all refuse to match this price. By the way, I live in South Cal. Thanks for your help.
  • sammya_mdsammya_md Member Posts: 69
    hey,

a quick way to check your price is to figure out the invoice with the options you have there, and then add 500 (dealer profit). I also ordered a 4 cyl SE in Maryland for 500 over invoice, and that seems to be a fair deal at this time. Also manual vs auto will be a different price obviously, so it's hard to say what kind of deal you have there.
    Here is a lease I was just quoted on..36 months, 12k. any opinions will be appreciated

HERE ARE THE #S ...STEP BY STEP:
    1.] 352.73 X 36= 12698.28 X 8% = $1015.85TAX
    2.] IST MONTHLY PAYMENT..........+352.73
    3.] DMV & DOC. FEES....................+67.50
    4.] LEASE INCEPTION FEES =.....$1436.08
    5.] CASH DOWN[CAP RED.]..........+563.92
    6.] TOTAL CASH DUE @ START...$2000.00

NOW THE PAYMENT CALCULATION:
    1. INITIAL CAP. COST [SALE]...................24039.00
    PLUS ACQUISITION FEE.......................+400.00
    MINUS CAP COST REDUCTION..............-563.92
    EQUALS THE ADJUSTED CAP. COST=23875.08
    MINUS THE RESIDUAL VALUE............-15394.00
    EQUALS TOTAL DEPRECIATION.........=8481.08
    DIVIDED BY THE LEASE TERM................36 MOS
    GIVES YOU MONTHLY DEPRECIATION=$235.56

2.] INITIAL CAP COST.............................24039.00
    PLUS THE RESIDUAL VALUE.............15394.00
    EQUALS RENTAL BASIS....................39433.00
    TIMES THE MONEY FACTOR...............X.00295
    EQUALS THE MONTHLY RENTAL FEE =$116.33

3.] MONTHLY DEPRECIATION + MONTHLY RENTAL = MONTHLY PAYMENT

---

I WILL HONOR THE PRICING SENT TO YOU ON ANY SIMILARLY EQUIPPED 2007 CAMRY XLE 4-CYLINDER DELIVERED B/4 08/31/2006. THE QUOTES I SENT ARE ALL INCLUSIVE OF FEES AND TAXES EXCEPT FOR REGISTRATION FEES SINCE I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU ARE TRANSFERRING PLATES, OR GETTING NEW ONES.

HERE'S THE BREAKDOWN ON THE LEASES: BOTH ARE BASED ON A SELLING PRICE OF 24039.00 [500.00 OVER DEALER INVOICE]; 36 MONTH TERM; 12000 MILES YEARLY ALLOWANCE; MONEY FACTOR IS .002950;
    RESIDUAL VALUE IS 15394.00 AT END OF LEASE

1] 0N THE $0.00 DOWN / $421.04 LEASE YOU ARE ROLLING ALL INCEPTION FEES [FIRST PAYMENT OF 421.04; SALES TAX OF $1212.60; $10.00 NYSI; $12.50 NY TIRE DISPOSAL FEE; $45.00 DOCUMENTATION FEE] ...FOR A TOTAL OF $1701.14 IN CAP COST ADJUSTMENT.
    2] ON THE $2000.00 DOWN / $352.73 LEASE THERE IS A CAP COST REDUCTION OF $563.92 AFTER INCEPTION FEES [ FIRST P'MT OF 352.73;
    SALES TAX OF $1015.85; FEES OF $67.50 FOR DOC., NYSI, TIRE DISP].

>
    > >
    > > The price for the ALL NEW 2007 CAMRY XLE 4-CYL. you are looking to
    > > purchase,
    > > equipped with STABILITY CONTROL W/ TRACTION, AND PREFERRED ACCESSORY PKG.,
    > > [as well as the standard luxury features as climate control,
    > > tilt/telescoping steering wheel, alloy wheels, JBL Digital AM/FM/MP3
    > > 6-Disc
    > > In-Dash CD Chgr w/Bluetooth/8 spkrs, power moonroof, wood trim], is as
    > > follows:[PRICING IS FOR IN-STOCK VEHICLES ONLY]
    > >
    > > MSRP............................. $26058.00
    > >
    > > SALE PRICE....................24150.00
    > >
    > > HERE ARE THE LEASE OPTIONS YOU REQUESTED: 36 MONTHS / 12,000 MILES YEARLY
    > >
    > > 1] W/ $0.00 DUE AT SIGNING [ROLL TAXES & FEES INTO PMT]...$421.04
    > >
    > > 2] W/ $2000.00 DUE AT SIGNING...$352.73
    > >
  • concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    After receiving a case number from customer service this past Tuesday, I got a call from the customer care rep at my dealer (who's also the owner) telling me that my car is sitting at Port Newark and will be delivered next week. He wasn't sure why no one had picked up on the build date and called me but said this all happened within the past two days. It also means that the car was built pre-price increase and the sticker MSRP should reflect that. I will let you know it's here when I see it with my own eyes.
    thanks topgun....appreciate the input...local dealer just got in an XLE 6 in the color that I want..will make an offer tomorrow...unless I purchase an Infinti G35X which I just learned has a large manuf to dealer promo..2500..thanks again....
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    unless I purchase an Infinti G35X which I just learned has a large manuf to dealer promo..2500..thanks again....

I love my TCH but I can't compare the G35X to the XLE. If they are anywhere close I'd go with the Infiniti
  • mbolivermboliver Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone know if you have to have graduated college to get the rebate or if it applies if you are in college as well? Thanks!
    You can probably find that on their site but I believe you have to show them the diploma
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    Looks like you need to have graduated (I used this offer last year in Janauary for my 05 Camry). We passed on the offer this year (my wife's graduation) for our 07 Camry because you need to finance through Toyota and the interest rate wasn't the best.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/finance/college_grads.html
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    On internet this morning, from Fitzmall

I bought for Monday pickup:

Camry Hybrid loaded with: NV,CQ,LA,SR

for $699 DISCOUNT from MSRP of $30,589

Out the door: $29,920 + 19 (temp tags)....
    NOTE: Nooooooo stupid dealer doc fees.

Deal took 5 minutes. I'm lucky as the car just appeared on their internet. I asked why the discount.... sales said morning deal fell thru.

Pick it up Monday -- after 2 weeks of calling every dealer in CA,NV, TX -- to try and find a loaded Hybrid -- to beat the Sep 30 deadline for $2,600 IRS credit.

Ya-hooooo that means net coast:$27,320

Of course I have to fly to MD to pick up -- who cares...at that price.
    Thanks for the replies. I looked on their website but it usually said if you have graduated and one of the statements said if you are attending an accredited college so I couldn't tell for sure. I just wanted to know for sure. When I asked my dealer they said if you qualify and it's still offered when I get my car. I was asking if I qualified. Thanks again for both of the replies! :o)
  • tranandytranandy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Camry Hybrid today from Capitol Toyota in San Jose, CA. I didn't place an order or put down a deposit. Walked onto the lot and saw two fully loaded ones sitting there - blue and white. I chose the blue fully loaded $30,667 MSRP.

After a little haggling, the price came down to:

$30,284 -- $383 off MSRP
    and $33,100 OTD, which was $417.49 less than their OTD asking price. No hiddenfees or add-ons or anything like that.

These guys were pretty easy to deal with; eager to make a deal but, not too pushy.

There was still the white one at $30589 MSRP when I left.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    A new G35 is coming out in the next few months. The resale value of the 06 G35 will take a pretty good hit. So it is more of a question of how long you intend to keep the car. Also the current G35 is about 4 to 5 years old now. So the design are at least 3 to 4 years older than the Camry TCH. It may or may not be important in your purchase decision. But at least it is something to think about.
  • bscrvbscrv Member Posts: 3
    I got price quote for LE 4 Cylinder(auto) with Carpet Floor Mat as $20,900 (OTD - Includes everything. Pay this amount and drive the car). What you guys think of this price?
  • just1guyjust1guy Member Posts: 19
    Same car { LE auto - floor mats were free for some reason }in Chicago $21200 OTD { 8.5 percent tax rate }.
    19,874 ($400 over dealer invoice) with mats and rear bumper applique at Fitzmall.

Who knows how much your tax and license is?

I'm sure you can get loss leader strippers cheaper than that though.
  • kmkimkmkim Member Posts: 4
    I ordered my camry yesterday in Chicago.
    Basically all dealer told me that they could sell this car to another customer although I wouldn't buy it.
    It was so bad experience.
    However,,, I bought one.
    The price is $19919 without any options and taxes.
    A dealer suggested $19800 and $20571 with moonroof, but it would take about two weeks.

They don't want to deal, so it is difficult to say dealer's real costs...
    If you don't need it right now, please wait by this winter.

For a reference, they don't provide rebate for graduate students. only college student...

One more thing, Elgin & Northbrook was so inkind & suggested only MSRP!!!
    Good luck!!!
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I believe you are incorrect about the graduate degree issue: "be enrolled in an accredited graduate degree program or have received a degree from an accredited graduate degree program during the last two years".

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/finance/college_grads.html
    They don't want to deal, so it is difficult to say dealer's real costs...

The dealers cost is the same reguardless of how they want to "deal". Market Value however is what the car brings with the current "supply and demand" situation and for some cars it may be $500 under invoice plus $2500 Rebate, for one it may be MSRP and in some cases (Ford Cobra) it may be $10,000+ over MSRP. As long as all the dealers are charging the same for the same car there is no use in getting mad about it. That's the market price. IF everybody is paying MSRP then it's a "decent" deal. They only way to beat the MSRP car deals is don't buy. If enough people don't then the prices drop, or in some cases like the Camry, if Market Supply increases, competition will drop the prices. I'm guessing the 2008 Camry will sell with the same marketing price structure as did the 2005 or 2006 Camries (local discounting to meet competition).

The dealer's real cost should be easily found on this website or kbb.com
    kmkim,
    Did you pay $19919 as your OTD price? if yes could you please post the dealer name?
    kmkim,
    What brand tires you got in the car you bought?
  • enakenak Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,
    I need some opinion about the price that i ordered 2 weeks ago in southern california.
    SE V6, JBL, leather, auto-dimming rearview mirror, rear-spoiler, sunroof. They asked for $700 above invoice.
    Edmunds invoice - $25,142
    Dealer's invoice - $25,413

so, $25,413 + $700 - $400 (college grad) = $25,713 + TTL.

-what you guys think?
    -Is it true that dealer take out the carpet from manufacture if we don't order it ($149 invoice?)

thanks, enak.
  • rockxprockxp Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone tried carsdirect.com. They do the negiotation for you with the dealer.
  • gcrewzrgcrewzr Member Posts: 9
    What is the OTD? What dealer did you contact wiht?
  • enakenak Member Posts: 2
    I contacted the Crown Toyota in Ontario thru Internet Sales Dept.
    Does anyone know if Toyota does factory tinting on the Camry? I am ordering one and asked for factory tint but they are saying they don't do that...they do it locally. Thanks
    Does anyone know if Toyota does factory tinting on the Camry?

I've read a lot of posts and have not seen any factory offerings for tint.
    Thanks! I just didn't think any auto manufacturer didn't offer factory tinting. I was surprised to hear Toyota doesn't. I hope whoever the dealer gets to do it does a good job! :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national news magazine is looking new Toyota owners that switched out from a Ford vehicle with their new purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information, what Toyota car you purchased and what Ford car you left behind.
  • pdkesqpdkesq Member Posts: 14
    Spent the last month going back and forth with three Toyota in search of a Camry Hybrid. I'd actually ordered one from a Toyota dealer in California, we agreed to a deal on my trade and on the Camry. The day it comes in (took about 10 days) he calls and says its here but that he's going to have to knock 2K off what we agreed to for my trade. I told him to take the Camry and shove it. After going around with the other Toyota dealers again, I wound up buying an Acura TL. I'd really wanted the hybrid for the fuel saving, but the Acura was the same price fully loaded (got a great deal) and it drives much nicer than the Camry, so I'm happy.

Its kind of ironic. Toyota makes great cars but their dealers suck. Every time I go into a Toyota dealer its a miserable experience. They short change me on the trade, and, more often than not, are pretty rude. Everytime I'm in the market I hope for a better experience but so far, no luck. Not coincedentally, so far I've yet to buy a Toyota (chose a Honda, three Nissans, and an Acura instead).
  • hotshot1hotshot1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys. This is my first time joining and posting. I always use to lurk for advice and info.

Anyway. Wanted to get you all's opinion on what deal I got. I was looking at the 06 Maxima cause of the power and handling (and beautiful 1500 rebate)

I got an 2007 SE V6 Camry (Gray):
    -Tint
    -JBL CD Changer
    -Rear Spoiler
    -Sunroof Package
    -Floor/Trunk Matts

For $26,957.51 out the door. (24,957.51 after trade).
    Edmunds TMV last time checking was 25,480 for buyers in my area.

I live in NC by the way. Was going to go through Carsdirect.com (quoted sales 25,800) cause my wife hates it when I get it in paranoide mode.

I do great working with the dealer, its the paper work I hate because I've heard too many people's horror stories of getting a great deal but getting raked over the coals coming to signing the papers.

Wife said I made the poor guy earn his money by making sure everything was filled out and clearly stated and I got a copy of everything. Also no blankspots.

So how did I do?

Helpful links:
    -carbuyingtips.com
    -carsdirect.com
    -cars.com
    -www.truliantfcu.org/chrometester2.html
    Looks good to me! This is the deal I got:

2007 LE Manual

Sunroof
    Aluminum Wheels with locks
    Tint
    Leather
    Sunroof with deflector
    Spoiler
    Car mats
    Vehicle Shield Package
    Security System

22,937 before TT&L
  • safetrip1safetrip1 Member Posts: 15
    The difficulty is that the invoice price listed in edmunds or kbb is different from what dealer's show you at their desk- usually higher than edmunds as much as $500-$1000.

So OTD price is the least confusing number to consider. Only problem is that dealers like to quote you in terms of invoice- $500 above invoice etc but later you find that that invoice is very different from what you were expecting based on edmunds. If edmunds can give truely real invoice price, things will be much simpler.
  • buprestidbuprestid Member Posts: 6
    Do they sell Camry LE models with Leather. I though that was only option on SE and XLE models
  • safetrip1safetrip1 Member Posts: 15
    It will be more valuable info if you can tell us what was the number before TTL (but including doc and any other fees) along with MSRP since tax and registration can vary among region.
    safetrip1,
    Info as requested below.

2007 Camry SE V6

Selling Price: $25,659.71
    Tax:(3%) $769.80
    Tag/Reg:(Transfering plates) $55
    Doc. Fee: 473.00 (Dealer had 599.00 on sheet)

MSRP:27,747
    OTD:26,429.51
    I wouldn't have paid $1,000 over dealer invoice for your vehicle or a $473 doc fee either, maybe $24,963 ($300 over dealer invoice) though.

Enjoy!
    I just didn't think any auto manufacturer didn't offer factory tinting
    Other than on SUV's I'm not aware of any manufacturer offering deep tint on cars
    My experience (from dealing with honest sales people) over 35+ new car purchases is that kbb and edmunds are very accurate. The problem is with invoices that include items like advertising and market adjustments and other dealer supplied options. The invoice for the specific items on the MSRP window sticker should only include those items. Anything else is a cost of business and should be rolled into their profit. Some dealers though want to advertise a good price over invoice so the raise the invoice with extras. It really doesn't matter because regionally they should be competitive. However you do have to compare OTD prices (including trades) to know if the deal is better. One dealer at $500 over invoice does not mean the same as another dealer at $500 over if the other dealer doesn't add on the extra adjustments. I would never recommend buying a car without at least two competitive prices unless you've dealt with them before and are familiar and satisfied with their practices.
  • martinfmartinf Member Posts: 121
    Its been a while, but I will do my best to give you all that I remember. I was just replying to someone on the Infiniti M45 Prices paid Forum who calls us "Grinders", so I just happened to catch your question. I ended up going with Mossy Toyota in San Diego. They advertised 10 cars at $18,996, but came down to $18,700 to match the price that Toyota Carlsbad offered on a car that was just not the right color for my mother. Bob Baker will often run a Friday ad for 3 to 5 cares for even less, but you need to be there at 8:00 am on Friday to buy one! Kearny Mesa Toyota Internet Manager was OK with $18,990 and I seem to recall him advertising that. Frank Toyota in San Diego also advertised the $18,XXX range. In Orange County, Toyota of Orange was also willing to match $18,700 or maybe even $18,500. Los Angeles dealers did not want to even counter my San Diego and O.C. offers. Go figure! To be "fair" to the dealers, I do believe that MSRP/Invoice on the vehicles has gone up about $250 since I bought mine. (I seem to recall MSRP $21,279, LE 4 cyl automatic, floor mats only).

No matter what you pay for the car, please get an extended warranty from Midwest Superstores Toyota (Kansas) or Mechanicsville Toyota (Virginia). You can get a 7yr/75,000 Toyota Platinum warranty, 0 deductible for less than $600. Toyotas are well made, but my 2001 Landcruiser blew a transmission that would have cost me over $3200. Even if you don't plan to keep the car, the person you will be selling it to will appreciate the protection. If you trade, you can get a pro-rated refund. Only if you know for sure that you will be trading the car prior to 3yrs/36,000miles would I not get the warranty for that price. For $1430, like Mossy offered me, that would have been different. Not for less than $600, however.
    What did you get? And what OTD price did you get? Also are you in NC?

I've noticed that certain places across the US are paying MSRP. My sister lives in Chicago and no dealer close to her would even touch the first round of offers I got here in NC.

In NC, I solicited quotes from 7 different toyota dealers in a 60 miles area. Over a week this was the lowest offer I got. I first used Carsdirect's price as a barometer when getting quotes.

All in all I feel like I can sleep soundly with the offer I got. Now the wait for delivery.... :D