Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    First, calm down. Using caps is considered shouting.

I have no idea what is going to happen with the 2003 model, the 2002 can be had at or near invoice depending on who you ask.

Make sure you know what to expect as to options, go to www.toyota.com to see how the car is made in your area.
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    Anyone brave enough to explain to me and to the general public what "invoice" means and why most price negotiations revolve around that figure ?
  • nutzo1nutzo1 Member Posts: 2
    Invoice is suppose what the Dealer pays for the car. However, most car manufactures give "incentives" or "Rebates" to the dealer when they sell the car, so the real cost to the dealer is usually less.
    I just bought a Camry XLE for $500 under Invoice, but I'm sure the Dealer still made money on the deal (probably got $1500 "Incentive" from Toyota)
    The best deal I found was through CarsDirect.com. They quotes a price $300 less than the best deal I was able to find. Plus they found the exact color/options I was looking for. (only 5% of Camry's are dark blue and even less where japanese made)
    I did have to drive 30 mile to pick up the car, but it was worth it.
  • nailstarnailstar Member Posts: 2
    I paid $16,700 plus tax and license in California for camry le 4 cycles with power seat and keyless entry, floor mat option.
  • vistor66vistor66 Member Posts: 3
    any recommendadtions there for a good dealer. I am shopping for a Camry LE V6 with #3 package. Any suggestion is appreciated.
    was that '02 LE auto or manual ?
  • cjileongcjileong Member Posts: 9
    Honolulu, HI...March 29 purchase date, April 6 delivery date.

lunar mist/stone cloth XLE 4 with side/curtain airbags, JBL+cd changer, 16" alloys, and floor mat set.

It was slightly under 23,500 out the door, but I can't remember the exact figure...
  • vistor66vistor66 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a XLE 4 cyl. with side ari bag option, the deal was $20615 + TTF. Am I doing OK?
    The deal is from a N. VA dealer.
    Gary
  • nailstarnailstar Member Posts: 2
    yes this is LE model automatic, power seat, keyless entry,cd and cassette player
  • nboylenboyle Member Posts: 3
    I bought an XLE w/ auto, floor mats, and a first aid kit (didn't know it existed) for 200 over "dealer invoice" which included advertising and regional finance fees.

Western PA

Graystone Pearl Metalic
  • rieszriesz Member Posts: 3
    I wonder what it is.
    Is it different from invoice which we can see frequently?
    And could you let me know the dealer?
    If possible, email me to ysk1814@hanmail.net.

Thanks,
    that's a good deal on '02 Camry LE/auto. A friend in Portland Or paid $17,800 in February for similar car without keyless entry. So your deal is better ! Can you tell what dealer sold that to you ?
  • ninocarlosninocarlos Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased my first Toyota Camry XLE 4cyl with the side airbags and floormats as the only option and with tax, and doc fees total price was 21154.00.
  • pac60pac60 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a new 2002 SLE convertible fully loaded.How low of a price can I expect to get from a dealer?
  • ken_wangken_wang Member Posts: 1
    We just picked up a LE mentioned above at invoice price + doc and tax. The dealer use the TDA to try to get more money from us. Well, I think this price is reasonable in the California.
    Nothing wrong with paying invoice, and TDA is a real fee that is part of the invoice. You did fine.
  • john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    I just bought the "bottom of the line" Camry for $16,990, and I love it. Only option was keyless ignition. The only funny business from the dealer (in Houston) was to try and add $275 for the "etched glass" protection package at the last minute. They dropped it and I got a beautiful car for a good price, with 2.9% financing for 36 months(anyone get a better deal?; ~ $700 under invoice). Happy in Houston...
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    Since Toyota in the Chicago has extended their low interest deals for another month, does this mean the dealers will be reluctant to cut the sticker price to Edmunds TMV? I'm looking for a desert sand mica '02 Camry XLE with sliding roof. No other options needed on the XLE.
  • ec2002ec2002 Member Posts: 1
    Been driving this car for 2 weeks and its been great. Paid 17,600 with car mats and cargo net+ (2.9%). I suggest that you get a copy of the handwritten deal you signed and match it exactly with the paperwork you will end up signing at the Financing Department. Make sure they did not add a couple of hundred here and there.

I noticed that this car was assembled in Japan not in Kentucky. Are all manual transmission models come from Japan? The tires I have are Goodyear Integrity. It's okay for now but I might upgrade to 16" alloy wheels.
  • vabuyervabuyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have been trying to buy a 2002 XLE V6 with package #8 and Z1, side airbags. When I show the dealers the Edmunds Invoice they say it isn't right because Edmunds doesn't have all the information for the area of VA Beach, VA. Their invoice is about $1500 to $2000 higher than Edmunds. They also want me to pay for Holdback and Advertising almost #1000 for those two items. What gives, is Edmunds that far off or is it just that VA dealer just refuse to give in. I have tried 2 dealers and have got no where.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Have you read the Edmunds.com FAQ?

12. Why should I pay advertising fees?

Most vehicles carry a legitimate advertising fee levied by either the manufacturer or by regional dealer groups. National or regional advertising fees, when charged, should not exceed 1 percent of the vehicle's MSRP. Because individual dealership advertising is a cost of doing business, you should never pay an advertising fee levied by the dealer rather than a regional dealer association or the manufacturer.

As for the Holdback, this is included on the sticker? The holdback is what the dealer receives from the manufacturer, it is not a charge that is passed on to the consumer, or at least it shouldn't be! Check out Dealer Holdback for more info.

• vabuyervabuyer Member Posts: 2
    Karen S, I understand what hold back is, and how the dealership uses it. In the one dealership I was in, he showed me his invoice. This price was a little over $23,000 with options. Then on the other side he had another list with included advertising, and hold back among other things, these came up to almost another $3000. This placed listed the hold back with other fees as something I had to pay. That raised the price to over $26,000. Why should the dealer collect hold back twice?
  • nutzo1nutzo1 Member Posts: 2
    That's just the games some dealers play. Give you a low price to hook you, and then add in a bunch of junk to raise the price back up. If dealer tried that with me, I'd just get up & walk out.
    I picked up a Camery XLE 4cyl for $600 UNDER invoice. There where no extra fees, just tax & lic.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I opened a widget store and I sell widgets for profit!

If I buy a widget form you for $10.00

It will cost me $1.00 to to sale the widget to someone else

I now have $11.00 in the widget

Even though I paid $10.00 for the widget the invoice says $11.00 and $11.00 is what I finace at the bank per widget

I sell the widget for $13.00 to a customer!!!!! (good price for a widget)

I pay off the bank the $10.00 for the cost of the widget

THE BANK SENDS ME BACK THE EXTRA $1.00 THAT I FINANCED IN WITH THE WIDGET (THAT IS THE HOLDBACK)

I made $2.00 profit on the widget over what it cost me to buy and stock the widget!

MSRP $13.00
    cost $10.00
    holdback $1.00
    profit $2.00
  • josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    If anyone can help, I'm searching for a good dealer to work with in the Dallas / Fort Worth area......I'm looking for a 2003 Toyota Camry LE, when they become available.......Thanks
    Offered $22,300 for a '02 LE V6 with moon roof and pkg#2, floor mats, elec. drivers seat, alum. wheels, prem. sound sys. the sticker price was $24,700. when I offered the 22,300 the dealer didn't hesitate, he said,"sold". makes me think that I should have offered less. Also got the 2.9% financing.
    In looking through the owners' manual I can't find anything about routine do it yourself maintenence, oil change and capacities. I guess this way they think you have to take it back to the dealer every 5000 mile.
  • terryc2terryc2 Member Posts: 2
    Toyota motor sales announced that the MSRP for all 2003 camry sedens remains unchaged from last year. Does this means the invoice is also unchanged? BTW, a remote keyless entry system is now standard on all LE and SE. Thanks in advance.
  • grminutahgrminutah Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 V6 Camry with Alloy wheels, option Z1 (seems to come standard these days); keyless entry, power drivers seat and JBL sound, option GI; and floor mats, option CF for $21,233 plus sales tax/license, doc fees (pure dealer profit), and property tax. Final out the door price $23,050.
  • moyotamoyota Member Posts: 3
    National Clearance Experience

Car purchased:
    2002 Camry SE V6
    Option Package #2
    Floor and Trunk Mats

Purchased from:
    Rice Toyota
    Greensboro, NC

Edmunds MSRP: $25,239
    Edmunds Invoice: $22,264
    Price paid: $23,376 - includes $565 Admin fee for Southeast Toyota that Edmunds does not include

By my calculation I paid $348 over TMV.

Did take advantage of 3.9% financing for 60 months.

Background: Definately wanted SE V6. Love the SE's metallic style inside and out. Wanted the 16" wheels and ABS that are standard on SE. Preference was for cloth seats. Color choices were open except for black or white. Option package #2 (or better) was available on all SE's we evaluated. Needless to say, our self-imposed choices severely limited our selection.

Dealer Experience:

Rice Toyota - Greensboro, NC
    We drove 1.5 hours to look at cars at this dealership. Have purchased two cars from them in the past, both good experiences. Saleman was courteous. Had to go to remote lot to look at car. The car had 18 miles on it. Salsa Red with charcoal black cloth seats. Black and chrome exterior trim. Black and grey interior upholstery with gun metal trim accents. Still had plastic covering seats and trim. Had the 16" five spoke alloy wheels. Bridgestone Turenza P215/60R16 tires. Clearance price was $23,376. Given our self-imposed limitations, this price was within my tolerance of no more than $500 over invoice (including fees that I've never got any budge on in the past).

Fred Anderson Toyota - Raleigh, NC - BAD BAD BAD
    Had pre-owned 2002 SE V6, 5000 miles, opt pkg 2, ash tray. Clearance price $25,995. This price is over the MSRP for this car with these options! They knew ahead that we were coming to look at this car, so I believe that they thought they could jam this price on us. This car also had 16" steel wheels with "deluxe" wheel covers installed instead of 16" alloy wheels which are standard on SE. If you go there for an SE, WATCH OUT!. I noticed they did this to many of the SE's. But they still charge for the real standard SE features which INCLUDES alloy wheels. Looks to me like they are ripp'in SE buyers for about $500 by this tatic. Maybe someone can explain this, but I'm so alarmed and pissed that it's very likely they will NEVER see me again.

Toyota of Sanford - Sanford NC
    This is another Fred Anderson dealership, which makes it suspect. But I did not visit. See above.

Leith Toyota - Raleigh NC
    Bought my 2000 Tundra here. Decent sales staff. Good service department, once you get past the know nothing "service associates". Did not get to visit them, but would have been the next dealer after Rice.

Cox Toyota - Burlington NC
    On-line inventory show two SE's with cloth seats. When we got there, they had no SE's on the lot.

Mid-State Toyota - Asheboro, NC
    On-line inventory listed no SE's with cloth seats.

Durham Toyota - Durham NC
    The one time we visited them, after explaining exactly what we were looking for, the salesman told us that he had the exact car we on the lot. Once we showed up he said he misunderstood my needs, and then tryed to sell us on an XLE and Avalon. A dealership wastes my time only once.

Van York Toyota - High Point NC
    Did not get to their lot. Had purchased from them in the distant past (1981) and they were excellent at the time.

Well, this one's behind me. Any constructive comments are appreciated.
  • mja216mja216 Member Posts: 4
    Just paid 20200 +TTF for an XLE 4 cyl. It is a great car and I looked far and wide--the honda Vw etc. Now the only thing I wonder about is the extended warranty from @toyota.com. They want $775 for 84 months and 75K. 1) Do i need it; 2) is that the best price?
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    I was looking at Edmund's pricing vs. Kelly Blue Book and noticed a $410 price difference on the '03 XLEs. It is in package #8. Edmunds says MSRP is $2530, while KBB lists it at only $2120.

Other than that, all other prices (base, opt. #7, etc.) are exactly the same.

Can someone explain the difference? I know the dealer will probably want the higher price and if KBB is incorrect....so be it. But if not, I'd sure like to keep the extra $410.

Thanks.
  • bowie5bowie5 Member Posts: 2
    When building a SE V6 on the Toyota site I am given the choice of FC44 & LB44 - what colors are these?
  • yliangyliang Member Posts: 9
    I understand you bought a camry in Chicago area. Could you please tell me which dealership
    you bought from ?
  • cedarparkcedarpark Member Posts: 26
    Hi,

Test drove a Camry XLE (4 cylinder) with essentially the HE package (leather, 6 disc changer, aluminum alloy wheels) and thank god no sunroof (I'm 6 foot five and every inch of head room is important to me).

I liked the vehicle, and decided to see what the salemsan would offer. The color was this neat blue/green (hard to tell--it was raining) that I'm hoping is what they call the aspen green.

Edmunds states this car should be $22,289. The car already had 250 miles on it, which to me, combined with the fact that its a year 2002 model, should lower the cost. As well, I noticed that instead of putting the HE package as one cost, they had itemized it, and it made it much more pricey.

Well, salesman said invoice (which he printed out), was 22696, and no way they were going to sell the car under invoice. He would make no adjustment for the mileage at all, and stated that maybe this was "too much car for you." He implied I could offer $100 over invoice, but I left.

This seems to be my experience anytime I try to get near TMV for the Austin, TX area. Am I nuts for trying? Should I just give up? I enjoyed the car and the ride a bunch, but another will always come along. I just wonder that since these cars have such a great rep., and just a few dealers in town, if they'll ever be reasonable.
    2nd dealer on this car has told me that their invoice on the car I described in post 85 is 22686. He quoted me an "internet offer" of 22,986.

Only extras were glass etching, and wood grain (not researched those, don't know what those mean/worth) which added 278 to the cost of vehicle?

Any opinions, please?
  • xshaderxshader Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I am new here and not sure if it's okay to ask this question: I'm going to buy a 02 Camry LE auto. (I suppose 02 should be much cheaper than 03, right?) I want keyless and maybe power seat. I'm in bay area. So far I only got one quote: $19449 + tax + lic + Doc Fee. But the invoice price on autoweb.com is 17721 (auto) + 485 (dest) + 196 (keyless?) = 18402. So what is a reasonable price? Invoice or even lower? Is autoweb's invoice accurate? Thank you!
    Depends on availability. The website I used guesstemates the advertising fee also and put invoice with GH (package 1-power seats & keyless entry) at $18,993.

The site recommends offering invoice to start, still a savings over what you were quoted.
    see post 86 and 85?
    Edmunds doesn't figure in the TDA fee that all dealers pay.
  • vpointervpointer Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

This is my first time buying a car, and I need your helps :) The car I like is 02 Camry XLE with carpeted floor mat and side-impact air bags and the dealer offered $21,650 + tax and $153 (for documentation, state inspection, and license plate fees). Is this a fair price? Can anyone recommand some dealers in the NYC area?

Thanks!
    The dealer was in Highland, Ind. I was in there the other day and they said they had ten Camrys left, then the '03's will be coming in. I was at the dealer to pick up my car. With 500 miles on it the power steering pump went out. Two days to fix it but they gave me a free rental.
  • bowie5bowie5 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what the most I should give for a 2002 SE 4 cylinder (with basically package 3 w/o the cargo net)? I really wanted one with a V6, but there are not any white SE V6 with tan interior(cloth or leather) in the state of Texas. So my dilemma is should I wait till the 03's come out or try to get a "good" deal on the 4 cylinder. Any info or opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • rexallen13rexallen13 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a Camry LE with Power moon roof, ABS and Keyless entry for $16,500. I traded a '95 Chrysler Concorde with 78,000 miles. Car listed at $23,795.
    Car was purchased at Carlson Toyota in Anoka, MN a suburb of Minneapolis. It was one of the best car buying experiences of my life(I'm 55).
    Went to Maplewood Toyota, but they wouldn't deal. They treated me very badly and would not deal at all. Was offered $2,000 for Concorde and would not move off of sticker price.
    We love our Toyotas. We also have a 2001 Sienna.
  • coupe3coupe3 Member Posts: 8
    The only option is Alloy wheel, paid at invoice, got the 0% APR for 36 months. I guess I did OK.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I would jump at a 2003 XLE at )% interest. Only 2002 Camry"s have the )% How come the discrepancy
    I've bee out of the country in Europe for a couple of weeks and wonder if the )% is going to continue and maybe include Toyota in November everywhere
  • misterequismisterequis Member Posts: 1
    As everybody knows the real, but real price is the Out the door price. No dealers fees, no preparations fees, no Toyoguard, No papers fees. No fees at all. Only the car, $ 20.150.00 plus tax $ 1.209.00(6% in Florida) plus transfer tag and title $ 140.00
    So The real price is $21.500.00 Out the Door (car in my house and $ 21.500 out my pocket)No salespersons to deal with, only internet fleets managers. It is the best deal.
    Somebody wants to have the big gun in hand, OK, Go to this site: FightingChance.com. There is the real invoice price of the dealers. It's cost 57.60 in your door with the book and 2 days shipping. You could save a couple thousands.

Best wishes at forum
  • nw2002nw2002 Member Posts: 1
    for your 2002 Camry LE 4 CYL. The invoice price is around $19000. How did you get $2500 off from that? Was it because of the trade in? I happen to live in the twin cities and is looking for a Camry. Can you share your strategy with me? Which salesperson you were deal with?
    Dealers in Arizona/California often advertise 02/03 Camry LE/auto @ under $16k. Recent TV ad in AZ was for $15,795. Camry October sales are down by 8%. Hold all purchases, prices are bound to get lower.
  • ziondazionda Member Posts: 3
    I received this internet price. Is this a good deal? I set my threshold for a fair out-the-door price at $20,500 so I was suprised by their quote. It seemed to easy. Are there hidden manufacturer-to-dealer kick backs? When I bought my corolla three and half years ago I had to haggle big time to get what I considered my fair price? What are other people paying out-the-door for their Camry's. Since I'm ready to buy I'm curious what prices others are getting.

Brand new (non-demo) 2003 Toyota Camry LE with anti-lock brakes, power driver's seat, keyless entry, upgraded stereo and full set of carpeted floormats:

$19343.00 (Our selling price to you)
    967.15 (5% state sales tax.......this assumes no trade-in vehicle!)
    86.00 (State fees for new registration and new title. This fee is $15 less if plates are transferred)
    59.00 (Our dealership document-processing fees. This is the lowest doc fee in eastern N.E.)

$20,455 This is the total you will write your check for.
    DO NOT ALLOW THE CAR SALES PEOPLE WHO POST ON THESE BOARDS FREQUENTLY TO TALK YOU INTO PAYING HIGH PRICES. AFTERALL IT IS THEIR JOB TO SUCK AS MUCH OUT OF YOU AS POSSIBLE. AS I SAID IN MY POST #99: "Dealers in Arizona/California often advertise 02/03 Camry LE/auto @ under $16k. Recent TV ad in AZ was for $15,795. Camry October sales are down by 8%. Hold all purchases, prices are bound to get lower. "
    2 MONTHS AGO 02 CAMRY/AUTO WAS ADVERTISED AND SOLD IN PORTLAND,OR FOR $16,497.