Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    shand32783shand32783 Member Posts: 76
    any Camry... I'm not worried about the options as they are cut and dry. It's the dealer add on's the invoice that I'm questioning. THose last 4 of the post that I wrote. Where it says here's where it gets confusing.
  • Options
    jatmobilejatmobile Member Posts: 22
    dude.. if you are absolutely sure that these are fees that they want to charge you, atleast the holdback and the financial reserve, is what they want from you, then take these crooks to court.....

holdback is something they get from the manufacturer for selling the car in due time... there is a toyota dealer advertising fee, which i believe they pass on to the consumer, but even that can be negotiated.... good luck... i would say use this as leverage now, rather than avoiding this dealer like the flu...
  • Options
    vthakorevthakore Member Posts: 20
    Those Fees are b.s.

HOLD back is guaranteed profit for the dealer, from the manufacture for moving the item.
  • Options
    wowlywowly Member Posts: 2
    Was the car brand new (not demo and etc..)? Seems that you got a really nice deal. That's about $1k below invoice AND rebate.
  • Options
    Brand New; or else I wouldn't have bought it.
  • Options
    r9973r9973 Member Posts: 14
    I am in the same boat, all dealers around seattle metro are including the 4 charges as part of the invoice and are not budging at all on those charges. :confuse:

Best quote I got was $28625 for MSRP of $31,940 with Edmunds Invoice of $28193 on a 2008 Camry Hybrid with leather / navi / bunch of other packages.

Anyone have a recent price point about a 2008 TCH purchase?
  • Options
    Why not just buy from one of the neighboring states and eliminate the fees and get a possible better price?

-V
  • Options
    mikecmikec Member Posts: 40
    Camry Hybrid, either 2008 or 2009.

These are still going at a premium, and will likely continue to do so:

With Nav/Leather Option, you are looking at 28,400 to 28,900 (most toward the higher end of that range.) 2008 models get 1,000 rebate on top of that, 2009 models do not. Obviously, add any options, plus your tax, licensing and doc fees to that.

I've surveyed about 30 dealers in the Western US, and it's all about the same.
    Edmunds number don't mean much (I would be glad if someone can provide a dealer who is lower.)
  • Options
    Buying from another state can be tricky; most places charge you tax and fees based on your residence, so you get stuck. If you have a "brother" that lives in that state, then he buys the cars and registers it.

This is a common scam in states that border low sales tax states. (ex CA and OR). However, the govt likes "its" (I mean "your") money, so they will get you when you transfer title, etc.
  • Options
    3150lsd3150lsd Member Posts: 2
    Go back through the posts. I posted a message a few weeks ago about pricing and was $2500 under you best quote. It included the $1000 rebate.
  • Options
    Can you reference your post? We can't search by user ID, so it makes it a bit of a needles in a haystack.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I've seen ads in the local Sunday paper for the last few weeks showing 2008 Camry Hybrids discounted 3,000 off MSRP plus another $1000 off for the factory rebate.
    So, they are not selling well enough to command MSRP or even close to it.
    It's still early in 2008 and the 2009s offer zero new features, so not much reason to get a 2009 at this point.
  • Options
    Jaxs,

Not sure what part of the country you are in. Int he West, 2008 Camry Hybrids are in shorter supply - only certain colors available. (I guess it depends on your price elasticity related to color; I have a hard time coughing up almost $30K for a color I am not thrilled about.)

The price for 2008 vs 2009 is essentially only the rebate (1,000) and maybe, the couple hundred bucks. At least that's what I've seen from Western US dealers.

For resale it's better to have a 2009 than a 2008, even with the rebate. If you can get a really good price, this may change.

3,000 off MSRP is pretty much normal for the TCH; as I said, I'm seeing 28-29K for the loaded version.
  • Options
    I was looking at ads in a major California newspaper.

Resale will not be much different because if you buy a 2009 this early in the year and resell it within a few years the mileage will be very high for it's model year and will be deducted from the value. Many people bought 2007 Camrys in March 2006 are selling their "1 year old" car this year with 2 years worth of mileage since it is really is 2 years old. Mileage that is normal for one model year is excessive mileage for a year newer car.
    If you keep it for several years, the difference between a 2008 and 2009 won't be much at that point. So either way not a big resale advantage for cars purchased now.
  • Options
    billw1billw1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in the Boston area, which is affluent but also has a lot of Toyota dealers (i.e. lost of competition). I emailed about 10 local dealers for quotes on a fully loaded 2009 Camry hybrid and a 2008 Cambry hybrid. Several have emailed back offering to sell the 2009 Camry for invoice and the 2008 for $1,000 less than invoice (reflecting the rebate). Basically, they are all willing to sell the car and invoice and keep the $500 holdback as their profit.

My questions: Has anyone bought a Camry hybrid in the Boston area recently? What did you pay? Also, do dealers typically insist on keeping all of the holdback or is that negotiable?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Newspaper adds are nice...but reality varies.

As far as resale, it's true that mileage is a key factor...but so is model year.

Example: Let's take a similar high demand car: Prius (same options/config). I'll use Edmund' numbers for trade-in, even though they are not perfect.

Used 2006 Prius - 100 miles (basically "new") - ~16,900
    Used 2006 Prius - 10000 miles - ~$16,700
    Used 2006 Prius - 20000 miles - ~$16,250
    Used 2006 Prius - 30000 miles - ~15,900

Used 2007 Prius - 100 miles (basically "new") - ~17,450
    Used 2007 Prius - 10000 miles - ~$16,950
    Used 2007 Prius - 20000 miles - ~$16,400
    Used 2007 Prius - 30000 miles - ~$15,900

The difference looks small...only a few hundred bucks. But let's take both cars with 30,000 miles - is a private party, given the choice between the two, going to take a 2006 (regardless of release date). No, they will take the "newer" one. This translate to a high price.

Human nature is to expect to pay more for the "newer" car. Mileage is less a factor today - these car run like champs for 100,000+ miles - compared to 20-30 years ago.
  • Options
    No news on the Boston front, but I think as far as holdback, dealers are just keeping that. $500 profit for something high in demand. No reason to negotiate it (from their perspective) on the Camry Hybrid.

I think the fact Camry Hybrid sales in January 2008 were 34% higher than 2007 (second to only the Prius's 37% for the same period) make it hard to get a "good" deal.
  • Options
    So, they may pay a little more at 30,000 miles the value is $0 and at 10,000 miles the value is $250.

People do care about mileage and would rather have a 2006 with 25,000 miles than a 2007 with 30,000 miles. Most people will want the one with the most warranty remaining whether that be time or mileage. There are people who are racking up miles on 2009s from a month ago and there are some 2008s that won't even be sold for a couple months.
    If they were both bought on the same date (because the dealers had both model years on their lots at the date of purchase like has been the case the last couple of months) no warranty benefit to the new buyer will be realized on the 2009 at resale.
    If they both have same mileage they may want the newer year, but your own numbers show that to be of limited value. Certainly way less than the $1000 rebate you get on a 2008 today.
    Sometimes there are at least minor improvements made on the newer year that will make it a better car to buy, but between a 2008 and 2009 Camry, there are no improvements. That would be different if it was a 2006 vs 2007 Camry or even a 2009 vs the updated 2010 coming next year.

It's pretty dumb that a "2009" model was even released in January 2008 when they made no changes whatsoever.
  • Options
    vehiculavehicula Member Posts: 42
    I recently leased a 2009 Camry LE. When I got to the dealership to sign all the papers, the numbers were exactly as the dealer and I agreed over the phone. However, the way the numbers were calculated was convoluted. For example: There were certain fees I wanted pay upfront (bank fee, GAP, others), and I did pay them at the signing. But on the lease contract, the dealer added these fees to the gross capitalized cost of the car and then subtracted them as a capitalized cost reduction. So the net effect was zero, but it makes it look as though the price I agreed to was much higher than it actually was.

Here in Massachusetts (and probably in other states) we pay sales tax on a capitalized cost reduction. In my case there was no real capitalized cost reduction - just numbers - so the dealer had to do re-allocate part of what I paid at signing as tax on a capitalized cost reduction that never took place. Once again, the net effect was zero: The amount due at signing did not change, just the way the amount was categorized.

Why would a dealer do this? I was thinking perhaps there's some incentive to show a higher gross price for the car?
  • Options
    "People do care about mileage and would rather have a 2006 with 25,000 miles than a 2007 with 30,000 miles"

I respectfully disagree. I think it's the opposite. You can control the number miles you drive, not the passing of time.

I agree it's silly to really the next year model 11 months in advance, but c'est la vie.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Most lease paperwork is done that way..

Almost all of those fees are taxable, anyway.... so, it didn't cost you anything extra...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    That was assuming they were both purchased either around the same time or especially if the purchase date of the 2008 was actually later than the 2009 it's being compared to (as is the case for many 2008s and 2009s being purchased now).
    The warranty starts on the day the car was first purchased regardless of the "model year." A 2008 purchased in April will have more warranty time available in two years than a 2009 purchased in February and it makes sense to get the one with the most warranty time and mileage remaining.
    It makes no sense to pay more money for a used car that has more miles, less warranty remaining and has no changes or improvements to it.

Even if they were both exactly the same and purchased on the same date, you still will not get the extra $1000 (from loss of rebate) back at resale (or even $500).
  • Options
    frankrom22frankrom22 Member Posts: 14
    Looking for a 2008 Camry LE w/ leather, sunroof, and VSC for $22.5K OTD. Any thoughts on whether this is a good price?

Thanks
  • Options
    LE has no leather. You will have to pay the dealer to send it out to have leather installed by an upholstery shop and risk death from failed side airbag deployment.
  • Options
    Interesting. I was aware that leather would have to be installed. I had that done by the dealer on the last LE that I purchased. However, this airbag issue is a new one. Is there something unique about having leather installed in relation to airbag deployment that I am missing?

Thanks
  • Options
    Yes, there are side airbags in the seats. If you replace the seat fabric, no one will guarantee that those airbags will deploy properly through the aftermarket covers.
    They make some aftermarket leather kits that are designed to work with airbags and will probably still work normally, but no one will take guarantee it if it isn't factory stock.
  • Options
    3150lsd3150lsd Member Posts: 2
    Here is the message. You only had to go back a few pages to find it.

Dealer in Marin California has been running an ad for 2008 Camry Hybrid with $4521 off MSRP of $31119 for a sale price of $26598 plus a $1000 rebate for final price of $25598. I have never bought a car there and made the mistake of giving them my phone number. They never called when they were running these ads( I wanted $4000 off MSRP last Nov) but did call all the time when they were priced higher. Good price but don't give them your phone number.
  • Options
    There are only two dealers in Marin - San Rafael and Novato.

I had had extensive conversation with both, and there is no way they will even get close to that price. Based on conversations I've had with friends who have bought there, they do a little bait and switch/teaser activity. Suckering the supposedly rich Marinites tends to be their MO.

Moreover, I have visited both of these dealers in person (I am in the SF Bay Area), and they won't budge much (at least over the past month). Most are in the 28,500-28,900 range (before rebate on 2008).

$4,000 off MSRP on a 2008 or $3,000 off MSRP for a 2009 might be tough, but you can get $3,200 off without much fuss ($2,200 for 2009).

(2009 MSRP of a maxed Camry Hybrid is $31,070)

The lowest I've seen is $28,200 for either 2008 or 2009. (not inlcuding $1,000 rebate for 2008.)

I guess the "slow" economy isn't affecting these cars much; I know if I wanted a Chevy Malibu or Ford, I could deal.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Test drove the LE and TCH today. Decided that I like the TCH w/ Nav, leather, moonroof and mats. Thinking of offering 29.5K OTD for the 2008 TCH. 7% sales tax where I live.

Any thoughts on this offer?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    $29.5K including the 7% tax, and license and doc fees?

That would be about 27,575. Not sure what state you are in; in CA license and doc is about $350.

So that would be about 27,200.

You may be able to get a 2008 for that price, (including $1,000 rebate), but not a 2009.

If you can get a 2009 for that price, you are getting a great deal.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I guess I wasn't clear. A 2008 TCH is what I am looking for.

Thanks
  • Options
    vehiculavehicula Member Posts: 42
    All those fees are indeed taxable - but the tax was presented incorrectly in order to get the numbers to work.

I'm not complaining. I paid exactly what I agreed to pay so I'm a happy guy. I just found it in amusing/interesting that the numbers were presented that way.
  • Options
    mainstreetmainstreet Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 2008 Camry Hybrid in the Boston area about a month ago.

I didn't want Nav, but everything else.

I ended up paying $25.5
  • Options
    vci15vci15 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote on a basic white 08 Camry LE with carpeted floors, their price quoted to me was 100 under invoice at 19,966 so they're claiming their invoice is 20,066 on a car that has a MSRP of 21,934

Here is a breakdown of the charges added to the get to that invoice price

Destination Charge ..........................: $ 660.00
    TDA .........................................: $ 410.00
    Gasoline ....................................: $ 10.00
    Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 421.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 210.00
    --------- ---------
    Total .......................................Invoice $ 20066.00 MSRP $ 21934.00

Their price is like 300-600 dollars lower than any other dealer that has offered me and I've called the other deals to try to get them to go lower but all of them are telling me to go buy it at that price. Am I getting a good deal from this dealer or should I haggle down even more. I'm thinking of paying around 19000-19500, is that possible? The only incentives available right now is the 0% APR 36 Months
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Well if I'm reading your post right they basically are charging you dealer holdback which is money they get back from Toyota so in essence they are collecting twice on the same thing. The 09's are on the lot so you definitely should target no more than $19000.00.
  • Options
    I should have been more clear in my post that the $25.5K for the 2008 was not including the $1K cash back so the amount I paid the dealer was $24.5K (again my car has all options except for navigation).

Even with all the internet information I still never quite know exactly how much the dealer is getting. They do seem to still be more pliable closer to month-end. I end up backing into what is a good price by how other dealers react, so if they are basically telling you they don't want to match the deal then it can't be that bad. On the other hand with the skittishness in the economy right now plus of course they want to get rid of the 08's, so you should have some leverage. Depending on how badly you want this car you could tell them that they've got a deal if they'll drop it by $500 otherwise you need more time to think it over. Assuming the car is still available in a few weeks which it probably will be, you could talk to them again at month end. My guess is they'll call you before then ;)
  • Options
    godwheelgodwheel Member Posts: 25
    Hello guys,

After much haggling yesterday, I got the following deal (though is pending "management" approval):

NEW 2008 4cyl Camry LE AUTO in Magnetic Gray with Bisque Interior
    $20,000 OTD (7% tax included OTD)

I haven't signed the deal yet so I can't break it down. I will once everything goes through.

Also FYI, got these other deals from other dealers around my area:

$20,585 OTD
    $20,698 OTD

The 2008 V6 I couldn't get them down below the low $23,000s so I gave up on that.

I think I did great. What do you guys think?

It will all depend now if they are willing to give me full KBB value :P for my trade-in since I will be upside-down even then.

I got a lot of "its impossible" and "thats crazy" and "I don't think you understand what out the door is". Keep trying and show them the Edmunds TMV that quickly brought them down to the $20,500 range. Remember, the dealer needs your money more than you need their car.

Good luck and I'll report back!
  • Options
    minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I purchased my 08 XLE w/o nav For 25.5k. I also have push button start and bluetooth. :blush:
  • Options
    anks20anks20 Member Posts: 2
    Could you please share the dealer name and if possible who to reach- like the internet department as I am looking for a 2008 Camry LE automatic just like you. Thanks.
  • Options
    mel34mel34 Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me if it was a v6?
  • Options
    I went by a local dealership to pickup a TCH in barcelona red with almost all options, pretty much loaded, MSRP 31850, dealer agreed to $150 below dealer invoice which included holdback and all. Almost got it done, when I noticed that the dealer invoice had "REPAIRED" in the damage section.

Upon asking, he indicated that the car had a 1 scratch on the bumper which he showed me and that would be repaired by his auto dept. But I could not obtain any paperwork from him that would provide an audit trail to indicate that this was what the invoice damage "REPAIRED" was referring to. He tried to convince me but in the end I backed out, not sure if I let go of a good deal or it was better to let it go, didn't want to buy a 30k car with status repaired.

Anyone have any idea what "REPAIRED" could have referred to? My take was that something was repaired but the dealer had no idea what it was, so better to let it go, the car was obtained from another dealer since this dealer did not have it in stock.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I doubt that "repaired" printed on the dealer invoice would have anything to do with a scratch on the bumper, that had yet to be fixed by the dealer..

No idea what it might be... could be minor.. but, I doubt the dealer was being straight with you.. you were wise to walk away, IMO...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    chinzcutiechinzcutie Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know or think what is a good price for the Camry SE 2009? V6 or V4

I want to buy one. the last one i got, Camry SE 2007 V4 was about $24,670.
    i don't know if the price have been going up or not

any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks! :D
  • Options
    godwheelgodwheel Member Posts: 25
    Try any internet department. Are you in Florida? If so, try Toyota of Hollywood they gave me the 20,585 price right out of the gate and have almost every color.

Good luck!
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What was the Doc Fee as this is in the Southeast Toyota area and they always add on to their price. Eventhough it is a Maronne owned dealership, they still must pay Southeast Toyota prices. Have bought four Toyota's down here in Florida and was charged everytime.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    badtrannybadtranny Member Posts: 33
    I went to a Toyota dealer last night in CT. The salesman, who I have known for a long time, told me that the $1000 rebates is gone on the Camry LE 08's and that the Prius is going for list price, that is what ever the sticker says, no discount..

Anybody know if there is going to be another rebate/special programs on the remaining o8's or even an 09 Camry??

I have not totally ruled out the Prius either.. The Camry Hybrid seems to have some issues with the battery staying charged, based on the reports from this site..

Have to admit, I gassed up the Dodge minivan last night.. $54.00 !!!! Dang!!!! :-((
  • Options
    Hmm...me thinks they are fibbing on ya....they are still offering the $1,000 off 2008 Camrys out here.

I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid - no issues. It's a fantastic car. As for battery staying charged, I've never heard or seen that. Everyone I personnally know with a Camry Hybrid (about 1/2 dozen) say it works just fine.

It they want you to pay list for a Prius (insane), you can get a Camry Hybrid for the same amount; they are running $2-3K off MSRP for 2009; if you can find a 2008, you can get another $1,000 back.

And yes, the feeling of getting nearly twice the mpg I was previous getting, in the same size care, is wonderful.
  • Options
    Not sure of your location but for Seattle area, camry hybrids are going for invoice (08 or 09) with 08 having 0% for 3 years, which equals about 2.5K in interest over 3 years, which is valid till 3/31. You can probably go to any dealer's website and see current new car promotions, the rebate should show up there.

I did reconnect again with the same dealer in Seattle, the one who got a car in for me that had REPAIRED in the invoice. It turns out the bumper was repaired by Toyota but I had him bring in another car for me from about 5 hrs away. It will have about 300 miles due to the distance he's getting it from but atleast I don't have to drive, his driver is getting the car in, would be $125 below dealer invoice. Their dealer invoice includes holdback, tda and WFS, tried to negotiate with about 25 dealers, this is the best I got in Seattle area. Positive thing is that I will get an additional $400 off from the toyota grad program, so will be $525 below invoice in all.
  • Options
    Just agreeing with the other replies.

Last night in Massachusetts at least there was a Toyota commercial bragging about the $1K cash back on 08's.

I have been all over the Camry hybrid groups, there is a larger one at another url and there is no problem with the battery charging. I have had a '08 Camry hybrid for about 6 weeks now; it is a phenomenal car they have achieved a fantastic balance between fuel economy yet with impressive power when you need it. And getting 40+ mph in a conventional looking car doesn't hurt either. ;-)

My wife has an '08 Lexus (ES350) and she now wishes she had bought a Camry hybrid instead.
  • Options
    vci15vci15 Member Posts: 3
    dang you should of just came to Portland and get a Camry for at least 600-700 under their invoice. In Portland the dealers have holdback, TDA, WFS fees too but seemed pretty lenient in taking some of those fees off. Which dealership in Seattle did you end up buying your car from?