Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• west12thwest12th Member Posts: 1
    So far I'm three pages into the postings and appreciate the info --

I'm trying to help my husband decide on repairing an old, old car ---
    leasing or trying to actually buy ---

We have the April issue of Consumer Reports on the '08s and I've looked at a lot
    of cars and they don't feel comfortable -- claustraphobic -- though the Camry LE felt comfortable. How much are you all being guided by Consumer advice -- or are you all able to rely on personal experience????

As a female, I would mention that I think most of the cars are very masculine ---
    and hate that they still have the "sporty" nutsy stick in the middle of the car--
    makes no sense to to me, especially as anything sporty!!!
    Every car --- huge lump taking up most of the floor space!!!

Will check back in later ---
    Thank you!!!
  • steved192steved192 Member Posts: 21
    I'm wondering if Toyota will sweeten the pot this weekend, too.

Also, does anyone know what the dealer hold back is on the 2008 Camry?
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Hold back ranges from $371 to $500 depending on the model for the I4, $471 to $560 for the V6, and $524 for the Hybrid. There are no incentives currently available on any model.
    Thanks for the info on holdbacks.

The dealership I'm working with had some hail come through....I couldn't see any damage on the 2009 I was looking at, but he said there were some tiny spots. I'm wondering what kind of discount I can expect- they said that they had them all on sale because of the hail damage. If they want to move them and get new ones without damage, I'm hoping they'd really be willing to deal.
  • nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    Anyone care to speculate on what the availability on Camrys will look like this Summer?

Will Toyota continue to build the 2009 Camrys through the Summer? Or will they shutdown for a few weeks, retool with modest changes, and call it a 2009.5? Then try to get back to a normal model year schedule with a 2010?

I'm in the market for a I4 Camry SE, and can wait for the best time to buy.
  • toycar12toycar12 Member Posts: 5
    3300 off MSRP is not bad. But your Camry is not in high demand, I think you can ask for more. More options = more mark ups
    I've got a quote on a 2009 XLE 4 cylinder. It has some minor hail damage. MSRP is $26413 and they say they have it "on sale" for $23988 plus TTL. Invoice is $22383. I'm trying to figure out what to counter with...I've also thought about seeing if they would throw in DVD player head rests, window tinting and a spoiler...I mean, it does have some dings from hail, so it's not perfect, KWIM?
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    the dealership has insurance--they are not losing any money on the hail damage--probably making money--
    ask them what they claimed for damage and see what they say

they could not have totaled the car but you might be surprised what they did get off the value...
    Considering I got roughly $2200 off MSRP(Sticker) on a 2009 Hybrid, you can do much better than what they are offering. They are still making well over $1200 on the offer they made you, plus whatever insurance they got for the damage.

OTOH, the same dealer I got my TCH from had a 2008 model TCH with leather and NAV with 5000 miles on it selling as new, and the best they could deal on it was 29800 OTD. The moron who drove it smoked in it, otherwise I may have purchased that one instead.
  • louisnlouisn Member Posts: 110
    Maybe the smoking was balanced by the TCH's low emissions. ;) I hate that stench too.
  • toycar12toycar12 Member Posts: 5
    Camry is sold below invoice. Dealer makes money by hold back and volume selling. Plus the car was damaged. Even if you are a non-negotiater, go thru Costco or AAA car buying, Camry is sold at invoice. Good luck
  • mar11mar11 Member Posts: 4
    I have been doing a lot of research on the TCH, but I keep hearing that the hybrids don't operate under 40 degrees. Is this just propaganda from the rest of the world or what? I live in the northeast and really need this to work in the cold.
  • mainstreetmainstreet Member Posts: 6
    I live in Boston and bought my TCH in January.

It is true that that you get greater MPG in warmer weather. But at 20 degrees I was getting about 38 mpg vs the 41 I'm getting at 50 degrees.

There is a lot of nonsense about hybrids, mostly from people who've never owned one.

Don
    Here is the jist I can give you from first hand experience in a Prius and TCH. I had a 2007 Prius for 10 months, bought it in April last year (had 3 miles on it), drove it for 24000 miles in Summer and winter. Mileage does drop in the winter, from 53 down to 45-48, and it was really cold this year, with a lot of days at or below zero. The car has no problems in the cold, with a couple exceptions, first, the tires that come on the car have lousy traction, they are designed for economy and ride, there are better tires out there that solve the traction issues while still maintaining the high mileage Second, the windows frost real easy when you have 4 people in the car, and don't have the climate set to auto. That was my biggest complaint, it takes a long time to warm up when it is really cold, but that I attribute to the design of the CC more than anything. The Camry doesn't have the climate issues of the Prius, we have had a few cold days since I got it last month and the windows clear rather quickly. As with any and all cars, winter mileage drops, and if you were to do it on a percentage base you will see the drop between the hybrid and a normal car is about the same, it is just that the numbers are so high on hybrids that it seems like a bigger drop, when it actually isn't. When you consider that the Tahoe hybrid has a 20%(GM stated, doesn't really add up though) increase of fuel economy, from 14 MPG to 20 MPG, thats 6 MPG. the Prius lost roughly 8 MPG in the winter, the Camry is about 4-5 MPG drop. Compared to say a Crown Vic(only other car I have had) winter to summer is 18-20 MPG.

In the winter the engine in the hybrid will run more, mainly to keep the emissions systems at the proper temp and also due to the heater being electric and requiring more power from the batteries than in warmer weather. I am not sure yet if the heater in the TCH is electric or comes off the engine or both, the Prius was pure electric heat.

So in summary, the Hybrids work just as well in winter as they do in summer, they just have some quirks that take some getting used to. Also keep in mind ALL cars lose MPG in winter.
    That's what I thought. 38 is sure a lot better than anything else out there! I live near Buffalo and needed to separate the truth from the BS. Thanks for the input.
    Well, the Camry with hail damage has been on the lot since March. I'm hoping they're willing to move it. We'll see what they want to give us for trade in on our Pilot.
  • xfshhxfshh Member Posts: 26
    How much is the Camry 08/09 worth based on the Consumer Reports?
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I would like to know what is the lowest price paid for a new 2009 TCH with no extra options or upgrade packages? Thanks for feedback.
  • learnintoflylearnintofly Member Posts: 2
    Well, my TCH was pretty standard; the only "extras" were floor mats and rear bumper guard (basically, a sticker just below the trunk lid that protects the paint). I paid 22,995. That's probably about $100 over invoice. Even without all the extras (leather, moonroof, six disc CD changer, etc) it's pretty well equipped. The sound system is really good, and it has all power options, such as power seats, windows, door locks, etc.
  • andyp28andyp28 Member Posts: 3
    Wow!! You bought a Camry Hybrid for $22,995? How long ago did you get it? I'd venture to say that with gas prices at $4 a gallon you won't see that kind of deal now. At least not in my area of the woods. Thats assuming you can even find one. All the Hybrids are order only with waiting periods approcahing 4 months for the Prius. I wonder if thats the same everywhere?
    Ok...I need some opinions fast! We're in the nitty gritty on negotiations on the 09 XLE I4 with the hail damage. It's MSRP is $26400, and right now we've got them down to $23,000. I want them closer to invoice, which is $22,300, but they're saying that is not the right amount for their invoice, meaning we've got it wrong. We've cross checked repeatedly on the internet and that does seem to be the invoice.

We really need them to come down $500 or so, otherwise we just can't do it. Are we wrong to think that they might be able to come down some more?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Ok...I need some opinions fast! We're in the nitty gritty on negotiations on the 09 XLE I4 with the hail damage. It's MSRP is $26400, and right now we've got them down to $23,000. I want them closer to invoice, which is $22,300, but they're saying that is not the right amount for their invoice, meaning we've got it wrong. We've cross checked repeatedly on the internet and that does seem to be the invoice.

There's no 4.3K markup on the Camry...may be on a Lexus. If the MSRP is 26.4K, the invoice should be around 24K.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Look up the invoice price on Edmunds, or request them to show you the invoice price. Still, I think that even invoice price on hail damage is a rip-off, because they probably received insurance settlement for it. I don't think that you should be paying more than about 1 % more than invoice for a perfect, non-hail damaged Camry.

Good luck, don't be afraid to walk away from that dealer and try another.
    Everything I am finding on the internet has the XLE 4 cylinder at $22,300. I can't find anything that shows a different number than that. I'm figuring they probably got about $500 for hail damage and $500 on holdback, right? So I'm thinking they have room to move. I asked them to include a spoiler and the XM radio receiver, but they won't budge on that at all either.

We're actually looking at Honda Accord's, too. I'd much rather have the Camry, but I kind of feel like I'm getting the run around with them. I guess I could be wrong, though.
  • kuvaszokkuvaszok Member Posts: 3
    I was hoping to buy a 2009 Camry Hybrid, or even a 2008 model, for a good price - and in the next few days - but after reading steved192's comments in #6400, I'm beginning to think otherwise.

If anyone has some advice, or even an update on the 2009 and 2008 Camry Hybrids, I'd appreciate it.

- k
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    All the Hybrids are order only with waiting periods approcahing 4 months for the Prius. I wonder if thats the same everywhere?

In the Raleigh-Durham area, Priuses have a 2-month long waiting list but there are a few TCHes on the lots (this info coming from a dealer I spoke to recently). I don't know how deals are going down, though. I have this sinking feeling that I missed the window of opportunity that existed a month or two ago. That's OK - I can opt for something like a Honda Accord and try to drive frugally if the Toyota dealers don't want to deal. Another option: buy used - I've seen some decent prices on gently-used TCHes and Priuses. Better yet, I might just wait for the new 5-door Honda hybrid to hit the lots - if it is based on the FCX Clarity as alleged, it'll look a lot better than either a Prius or a TCH! ;)
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    after reading steved192's comments in #6400, I'm beginning to think otherwise

I don't understand. He's getting a $3000+ discount from a specific dealer on an XLE (with hail damage). What would that have to do with your decision to get a TCH
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I was at a Raleigh dealership about a month ago, was sitting there waiting on service and my salesman walked by so I struck up a conversation with him. He indicated that the P demand was extremely high, and they weren't discounting at all.

(Now whether I had check in hand and was interested in one he'd not deal....I don't know)
    So we're still dealing with the hail damaged vehicle. Does anybody know if something like that will go on a carfax report? If this isn't the right area to ask, will someone to direct me to the correct forum? Thanks. :)
    Hmm. My post has nothing to do with hail damage. I responded to steve's post having to do with the scarcity of the TCHs, which in turn means no good deals for the 09 Hybrids.

Too bad. I really need one. My 97 Camry died a few days ago, and so for now we're a one-car family. That can't last long, as I travel professionally, with nearly 500 miles a week.

- k
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It's possible but unlikely to show up on Carfax. Unless you are capable of doing PDR yourself, I would strongly recommend that you have a shop give you an estimate on repairs before buying - if extensive, hail damage repair can be pricey.
  • lynchelynche Member Posts: 13
    How long have you been negotiating with this dealer for this car? When you say you've got them down to $23,000, I presume you mean that's their last quote to you. If you've been doing this for more than a couple of days, and they won't budge, either you've all but said this is acceptable price, or this is really their bottom line. Have you thrown them your bottom line number?
  • lsbcallsbcal Member Posts: 11
    Would appreciate getting some of your thoughts on pricing a 2009 TCH.
    I'm trying to buy a Camry Hybrid with leather & nav system, basically top of the line. A dealer sent me the invoice and quoted $200 over invoice as my price. The "invoice" includes these items: TDA $441, holdback $507, whsl financial reserve $253. So he is asking me to pay the holdback + reserve which he gets back from Toyota since car hasn't arrived just yet. If I understand this correctly then the dealer profit would be = 2x($507 + $253) + $200 = $1720. So the profit margin is then 1720/28142 = 6.1%. My price would be $28342. Does this sound like a reasonable deal? I'm in Northern California. Thanks in advance!
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    That is not an unreasonable price for a loaded TCH, especially in this market with extensive waiting period for hybrids . I paid about the same for a loaded 2009 TCH on a lease in March. Isn't the dealer entitled to make a little profit, especially on a car in such high demand? But if he's saying he wants you to front the holdback and TDA just b/c he hasn't received it from Toyota yet, should the flip side to that argument be that you get a reimbursement from the dealer when it does arrive. I've gotten money back from dealers in the past.
  • iceman9294iceman9294 Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like a decent deal. I bought my TCH 3 weeks ago, loaded package with Sirius installed (receiver/antenna), nav, leather, etc. This is what I paid...

Retail Price: $32,331
    Invoice: $28,378
    Your Internet Price: $28,878
  • alanmilleralanmiller Member Posts: 10
    I'd say it's an excellent deal if you only pay $200 over invoice. You may be misinterpreting what he is saying about holdback, etc.

Get the OTD numbers and post them here (broken down) and we can give you a better opinion.

I paid $700 over invoice about 3 weeks ago for the same car and am still very happy with my deal.

Alan
    I guess OTD means "out the door" which I do not have at this point. The car will arrive at the dealership in a few days. The numbers I do have are:
    22054 vehicle base model
    376 50 state emissions
    1040 leather package
    752 moonroof
    2009 nav system, etc.
    40 wheel locks
    660 destination charge (northern Calif)
    441 TDA(toyota charge for regional adds)
    10 gasoline
    507 dealer holdback
    253 whsl. financial reserve
    -----------------------------------------
    28142 total for what dealer is calling "invoice price"
    200 what dealer wants above invoice
    ----------------------------------------
    28342 price to me before taxes and license fees (probably around $2700 in Calif.)
  • dt10957dt10957 Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me what dealership you're going though, and whether you dealt with the internet department for this price?
    This was sort of the internet department but I'm not really absolutely sure with this dealer. Bought my previous 2002 Camery through them. I'm not sure I'm suppose to divulge the dealer--can't seem to find the forum policy on this.
  • ailafwdailafwd Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all your inputs from this forum.

Bought a new 2009 Camry LE V6 (with premium sound & alloy wheels) from Fitzmall near WashingtonDC

Price paid : 21,767 + TTL(752) + Doc(99) + Dest(0)
    Out The Door Price: $22,618 !!!!! :)

More info:
    TTL --> Tax-VA: 671 ; TL: 81
    MSRP: $25,999
    Invoice: $23,436 (21,877 + PremiumSound-950 + Alloy-410 + Mats-199)
    Fitzmall Internet Price: $22,167 (got a $400 discount after hard bargaining!)
    The discount includes $500 Toyota customer rebate on V6
  • ailafwdailafwd Member Posts: 3
    Forum Policy:
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.
  • andyp28andyp28 Member Posts: 3
    If you can get that deal on a Hybrid then don't wait...get it before it's gone....
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    Lots of ads in today's LA Times newspapers show 0% Financing on "select" Toyota models (Honda and Nissan seem to offering similar interest rates). Number of months are not listed for Camry. Anyone know if the 0% applies to the Camry SE? For how long?

I'm interested in the following:

2009 Camry SE Auto 4cyl
    Color: Barcelona Red
    Options: SR (Sunroof) + Spoiler (RF) + Vehicle Stability Control (VS), Carpet Floor+Trunk Mat
  • saidiadudesaidiadude Member Posts: 49
    Just called the local dealer and he stated that 0% did not apply to the Camry. Toyo is offering 2.9% for 36 months though. The quote was a bit high (and wrong color), so I declined.

Car offered:
    2009 Camry SE Auto 4cyl
    $21274 + fees net after 500 rebate
    equipt is cf.qb.rf.sr.
    color: Mag Grey (wanted Red)

Car wanted:
    2009 Camry SE Auto 4cyl
    Color: Barcelona Red
    Options: SR (Sunroof) + Spoiler (RF) + Vehicle Stability Control (VS), Carpet Floor+Trunk Mat

Will keep looking.
    I have just ordered my 09 TCH, and the spec sheet lists an "upgraded accessory package" for $279. Every time I ask the salesman what is in this package, I get a different answer - "I think, etc." I can't find this package in any literature or anywhere online. I already have every available package ordered. Any clue? :confuse:
  • mburbagemburbage Member Posts: 2
    09 Camry CE automatic for 18,000 (not including tax & tag) and dealer will add leather seats at the dealership. We have 2 dealers in my area and the other dealer would not go lower than 22,500. I am in no hurry to purchase. Is there a certain time of year that is better to purchase a new car? Or would I be foolish to not purchase now for 18,000?
    Bought a TCH yesterday. Asked dealer if he would deal, and he knocked $500 off MSRP.

In mixed city & hwy it's averaging 39.5.

Smooth ride, love the upgraded rear view mirror, hard to believe how quiet it is, hands-free BT is nice, and I really like the keyless entry.

- k
  • brownslbrownsl Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a TCH from a dealer with a price of about $350 above invoice. This is far and away the best offer I got. I sent emails to other dealers and everyone quoted MSRP. It almost seems too good. The dealer sent me an email breaking down the quote. The dealer said it could be 8 weeks before the car arrives. Is there anything I can do to help ensure I get the car for the price they quoted me two months from now? I worry that when the car comes in they will say that it is too good of a price and not honor it. I did give them a $100 deposit.
  • tamone1tamone1 Member Posts: 5
    I just helped my mom purchase a 2009 Base Model Camry w/ automatic transmission. We paid $18557+Tax/Tag, This included the floor mats, trunk mat and cargo net. Plus she got 0% financing for 48 months. Wondering if this is good deal???
  • iluvmcoiluvmco Member Posts: 2
    The invoice is @ 18,995. Should I get deal at the invoice or below invoice? Please let me know. I live in E.Lansing, MI. Can any one reccomend a good delaer closer to Lansing, MI.