Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I do not know the market in NJ but it is quite reasonable to travel to the SE if you can save a few thousand dollars. I would not do it for a few hundred, but 1-2K I would consider it.

For example this summer some Fl dealers were advertising le 4 cyl with auto for 15.5K. best price in my area was 17K for same car. I can fly a local carrier for about $200 round trip, one $59 a night hotel room, one day $59 rental car and the dealers were quoting $600 to transport to my area. Even with all that expense I save over $500 and if I want to drive it back I save well over 1K.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    But long trips at steady state speeds are frowned upon for engines under 1K.

Seriously though, if you cant get a deal/find a deal in NJ, you're not looking in the right place. I'm not even talking hard negotiations, I'm just talking advertisements. With a little negotiation, its easy to find the right Camry at the right price. We're talking about the most densely populated state here, and I'd be willing to be it has the most dense concentration of Toyota dealers. I can think of about 10 separate delarships that are within an hour and 15 mins of my house.

~alpha
  • Options
    stantoyotastantoyota Member Posts: 6
    I have been quote for 2004 Camry LE 4 Cyl Automatic with ABS, Tinted Window and Extra Mile Option Package "A" (Security System Upgrade, 5 pieces carpeted floor mat set, mud guards,...) for $19,354.50 (Out The Door). Is this a good deal or not? Can I get better deal than this?
    Please need inputs ASAP. Thanks
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    My 03 LE V6 has exactly the same options. I think the only difference between yours and mine is the 2 extra cylinders. My out of the door price was $21,850 + tax, title destination. I thought mine was an excellent deal. MSRP for mine was almost 24K. The typical price difference between a similarly equipped I4 and V6 is about $2500. So to answer your question, yes I think you got a good deal. It doesn't hurt to drive a hard bargain. Keep at it maybe the dealer would knock off another couple of hundred dollars.
  • Options
    nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Hi Motownusa,

I was wondering when in the year did you purchase your 03 LE V6? The 21,850 sounds like a great price, huge discount from the 24K MSRP.
  • Options
    is $22,775 according to carsdirect.com.

I'd add Side Airbags and Curtains, and Floormats, bringing MSRP to $23,609.

Invoice: $21,401
    Carsdirect.com price incl. $750 rebate $20,801.
    (meaning they want $100 above invoice).

This combination represents one of the better values in the Camry line, IMO. Get one now!

~alpha
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As noted in the top of this discussion, you may not post contact information such as links to dealerships.

I had to remove a message for that reason - sorry.
  • Options
    excivicowner81excivicowner81 Member Posts: 6
    My 2003 LE 5 speed purchased in June 2003 was 17,041 (out the door) with a 6 year warranty. Got it from an ad in the newspaper. Only bad part was they only had 3 to choose from, but I don't mind the color that much (grey). They kinda got me with my trade in. I traded in my 2002 Civic EX, and I won't discuss the $$$ but they got me. But I did a bunch of adding and figured that I STILL got an awesome deal even with the low trade in.
  • Options
    DONT buy any Toyota from FOWLER TOYOTA in Norman, OK. This is what I have been through. JUST WANT TO SHARE MY EXPERINCE.

I have been emailing with the Internet manager with Fowler Toyota in Norman, OK. I requested the quote for Camry LE with several options (please refer to my previous message) to be added. He replied that he has the exact car that I requested. Good. Bargain ... and bargain..We finally got to the final figure.

Then, I emailed him back to double-check everything before I drove to his dealership which will take me approximately 2 hours. I requested him to fax me the final price to the office and list the options that we had agreed on. He was chicken out. He tried to find excuses that my fax # was wrong, my fax machine was not turned on and others. It is ridiculous.

I just wonder what kind of trick this dealer is playing. Definitely, this dealership cannot be trusted.
  • Options
    Stantoyoyta,

Its true. Happens alot out where we are NY. Alot of dishonest people out here. We got a quote from a dealer in Long Island in writing, drove all the way out there (1.5 hours). When we got there, the car was just sold as he put it, but he was offering us something in place of it at of course a higher price. A bunch of crap. try to goto a dealership that is recommended from someone you know.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    My experience with Toyota dealers here in NY, especially Bklyn has consistently over the years been very poor. I'm talking about 4 dealers.

Perhaps this is a reflection of a powerful company that lost-or perhaps never had-the humility or concern for customers. If I ever buy a Toyota again is not going to be in NY.
  • Options
    rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    Hi,
     Anybody got any info they can share with a maybe-buy-a-Camry guy about long distance gas mileage and performance. I want to drive around the country next year and I'm debating whether I want to do it in a Prius..Camry or a new Vette. Ideas?
    Thanks Rpgolfer
  • Options
    thestriderthestrider Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for a SE Auto, 4 cyl, with options of ABS, alloy wheel, spoiler and floor mats. price w/o rebate is $19,500. I'll take the 2.9% finance. With tax, license and doc fee, total is $21,243, $381 for 60 month.

This is the lowest price I got from the 5 nearby dealers. Is it a good deal in SoCal?
  • Options
    I think very few Camry owners or potential buyers will be able to comment on the Camry v. Corvette v. Prius. You need to decide what your priorities are. The Prius is a Car and Driver Ten Best winning vehicle, as is the Corvette. The Camry SE V6 might bet your best combination- its about 2.5 seconds slower than the Corvette to 60, but about 3 to 4 seconds faster than the Prius. It should average about 24-26 MPG in mixed driving, and top 29 MPG on the highway- nowhere near the Prius, but considerably better than the Corvette MPG.
    Things to consider.

~alpha
  • Options
    Make sure and ask the dealer if 2.9% financing is available in conjunction with a cash rebate. In some parts of the country, it is.

Otherwise, thats not a bad price for an SE 4 auto with those options and no rebate-its about $130 above invoice, which may give you some room. Check out carsdirect.com- this will show you what a competitive deal is in your area. (Note that if you are going to accept a financing deal in lieu of rebate, you should add the rebate amount to the "carsdirect.com price" , because rebates are deducted from that quote automatically).
    ~alpha
  • Options
    thestriderthestrider Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Alpha. Sorry I was ambiguous. By saying "w/o", I was trying to say "before". For that configuration I checked CarsDirect.

MSRP Price : $22,549
    Invoice Price : $20,221
    CarsDirect Price: $19,371
    My quoted price : $19,500

It is $721 under the invoice and $130 above the CarsDirect price. So I guess it is a good deal. Another dealer quoted my $19,900. Wondering why they can do so low (though I don't mind at all). Secret incensives going on?

Will update you the final result when I get the key. And I'll never get the key before the contract is final and the financial agreement is "approved" (from carBuyingTips.com)

If for any reason it fails to go through. I'll wait and bet for Toyota's December offer. Some say the last 2 weeks in December is usually good time to buy.
  • Options
    aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    What is a reasonable price for the 2004 Camry LE V6 in the Denver/Colorado Springs region?
  • Options
    cub5cub5 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know when the next round of special financing rate will be? I understand 1.9% ended on 12/1/03.
  • Options
    cub5cub5 Member Posts: 5
    I am debating between the LE V6 model and XLE 4 cyl. Which one has better advantage? Any suggestion is appreciated.
  • Options
    I have an idea to fight back or to reduce the dishonesty of the auto (Toyota) dealerships. How about we list the dealership name by state, and rate their honesty and transaction (1 to 10 - probably with explanation) based on our own experiences. Therefore, the car buyer can check out the listing instead of asking around. Also, we would inform the dealerships to check their reputation on Edmunds. Hopefully these actions will reduce their dishonesty in doing business. Just an idea.
  • Options
    stantoyota,

That sounds like a great idea, but I don't know if Edmunds will allow it. Maybe at a separate web site???
  • Options
    Guys..I cannot do it alone. I need you guys helps/inputs on this. I could set it up and post it. Please send email to me if you guys wish to participate.
  • Options
    Stantoyota,

You got my vote. The post, as you suggested should have the dealer name, maybe salesperson/s experiences, both positive and negative. Pat(Our Host), is this something that can be done??
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is about exactly that - Buying Experiences. Why not just make your posts here?

It's okay to name the dealership, just don't put any contact information in your message (see header for full details).

Tell me if I'm missing something ...
  • Options
    emarks1emarks1 Member Posts: 12
    MSRP: 30,568
    Paid $27,350
    less $ 750 rebate
    less $ 1,000 Customer Loyalty Certificate
    ------------------------------------------
    $25,600 including 1 year free prepaid maintenance
    + $289 Conveyance fee
    + $88 registration fee (State of CT)

Lynch Toyota in Manchester CT, dealt with the internet sales manager and had an excellent customer experience.

Options:
     - Engine: 3.0L V6 DOHC SMPI
     - Transmission: Electronic 5-Speed Automatic w/Overdrive
     - Tires: P215/60R16 AS 94V
     - Wheels: 16 in. x 6.5 in. JJ Aluminum w/Center Ornament
     - Front Bucket Seats
     - Monotone Paint Application
     - Driver & Passenger Power Seat & Leather Package
     - Leather Seat Trim
     - EMV Navigation System
     - Radio: AM/FM CD
     - XLE Navigation Package
     - Vehicle Stability Control
     - 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Brake System
     - Driver & Passenger Curtain & Side Airbags
     - VSC & Side Airbag Package
     - Carpet Floor/Trunk Mat (5-Piece Set)
     - Molded Simulated Birdseye Maple Dash Applique
     - Driver & Passenger Heated Seats
     - Wheel Locks
  • Options
    I found a toyota dealership in Greenfield MAss that sells extra care warranties at a great discount. I picked up the 7/70 extra care platinum for $870.
  • Options
    How did you get the $1000 customer loyalty certificate? My parents will likely be buying their 10th Toyota in Oct 2004, and we have never received a loyalty certificate. Perhaps its because 8 of those 10 were leases?

~alpha
  • Options
    The $1000 loyalty rebate is one of those things that we would normally throw out. It was a 4 page glossy that came from toyota that had the certificate on the last page.

It was good timing for me
  • Options
    emarks1,

I am really interested in finding out more about this deal. That was certainly an excellent price. Why did the dealer offer such a steep discount from the MSRP? Was he trying to move inventory? Did you finance, what was the percentage? or did you buy it straight out? What was the invoice pricing on this vehicle? If you don't mind me asking what was the dealership name? We are awaiting our 04 SE V6 to arrive and the price we were quoted was $26,486.00 which includes the Navigation package, VSC package, rear spoiler, rear view dimming mirror, carpet mat set (5 piece), heated seats, the V5 security system and adjustable pedals. Our MSRP was $29,888.00. Our discount from the MSRP is about $3,402.00. Registration $63.50, Inspection $12.00, NYS Waste Tire Fee $12.50 OTD equals $28,745.99. But upon delievery we will be entitled to what ever rebates, incentives, etc. at that time. I am shooting for the 0% 36 Months deal.

Thanks
  • Options
    I used the internet to email all of the dealers in my area with what I was looking for. This dealer, Lynch, in Manchester CT said that MSRP was $30,568 and Invoice was $27,350 and that they would sell to me at invoice plus I would get the rebate of $750 (or 0% financing for 24 months)and the 1 year prepaid maintenance. If you go to their web site you can see their inventory and place a bid. The salesperson I dealt with (O'Neal) was truly a find. He was low key and extremely helpful. After I had that deal negotiated, I then produced the $1000 loyalty certificate which tehy took with no problems. O'Neal said that toyota reimburses them the whole thing so it is no big deal.

They wanted too much for the extended warranty so I am buying that from another dealer.

If you want more info, please feel free to email me at rpi86@yahoo.com. Thanks --Evan
  • Options
    Evan,

Thanks for the reply. We are expecting to get our vehicle in mid December. Do you know where we can obatin such a coupon for loyal customers? We reside in the New York area.

Thanks
  • Options
    I didnt know you've owned other Toyotas- which ones? For some reason I was under the impression that your Catalina Blue SE V6 was going to be your first Toyota.

Anyway- I would imagine that calling Toyota's Customer Assistance Center, 800-331-4331, and inquiring about the availability of any loyalty certificates.

~alpha
  • Options
    Alpha01,

The Toyota vehicles that I have owned are:
    1984 Supra
    1987 Cressida
    1994 Camry
    2000 RX300 (Lease)
  • Options
    If it helps, the loyalty certificate was only valid for NY/NJ/CT toyota dealers. I tried up in Mass but they couldnt take it.
  • Options
    Emarks1 and Alpha01,

I have contacted Toyota of California and they said that they would have the regional Toyota contact me. They claimed that it is the regional Toyota (for NY, NJ, CT)that sends these certificates out and they are aware of them. I am just hoping I can obtain a certificate/coupon before I accept delievery of our vehicle. Emarks1, did the dealer actually have to have this ceritificate on hand from you? or could they give you the discount and then obtain the funds from Toyota later so that they get reimburst? Did the certificate have your name on it or could anyone just have utilized it?
  • Options
    Alph01 and Emarks1,

Emarks1, I just spoke with my dealership and they stated that the certificate was only good from 11-21-03 to 12-01-03. Is this information correct? When did you take delievery of your vehicle? My dealership claimed that there might be another special like that during the Christmas time, but he is not sure.
  • Options
    riferife Member Posts: 8
    My '04 Camry LE stickered for 20,574. I paid 19,084.87. This was the invoice price including the dealer advertising charge that they put in there. For one weekend only Toyota offered 0% for 60 months in the Cincinnati/ Dayton, OH market, so I was able to take advantage of that too. Voss Toyota in Beavercreek, OH was great to work with and their service department is good too.
  • Options
    I'm curious- and certainly not criticizing your decision- but why did you skip on ABS?

~alpha
  • Options
    The certificate was good from 11-21 thru 21-1. I took delivery on 11-29. I had to hand the physical certificate in in order to get the discount. It had my name on it and was only transferrable to immediate family members (spouse/kids).

And Antilock brakes came with my XLE...
  • Options
    ABS is standard on All V6 and XLE 4 cylinder Camrys. My question was to a different poster.

~alpha
  • Options
    The only ones in stock with ABS had other options that I didn't need such as sunroof.
  • Options
    "The only ones in stock with ABS had other options that I didn't need such as sunroof."

Not a jab on anyone, but I do not understand the above statement. I never go to a dealer's lot to buy just what they have available. I have never looked for a car that the dealer had exactly the options that I wanted in the color I wanted. Not even in the region, so they could not do a dealer swap. I only go to the dealer to test drive a similar model. Then once I decide on what I want and the price, I have the dealer order the car. I have done this with my last two cars. Nothing is more annoying than knowing exacty what you want and then trying to be sold something that you do not want. maybe if I bought a Honda or Acura, this would be different because of the way that they do trim levels as opposed to individual options.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A tv reporter is looking to interview a recent carbuyer who had to sign an arbitration contract at the dealership. Please respond to jackie.sobie@newpronet.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by 12/12/03 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I just spoke to Troy at Toyota of Greenfield.

$870 was for the 7/100 platinum extended warranty
  • Options
    I would have to agree with you, unless dealers are very sparse (certainly not the case in central/northern NJ, with the greatest pop density of any area in the country..LOL)

Even without ABS, I'm sure you'll be happy with you new Camry, rife, please give us updates as the miles roll on. Congrats! What color did you choose?

~alpha
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Actually mine has ABS since it has the V6 engine. I bought the car at the end of March for just under $22K + tax, title etc. Since I wanted the V6 engine and keep the price reasonably low I had to skimp on some of the accessories and safety options. No leather seats, VSC or side curtain airbags. The color of my car is silver (Toyota calls it "Lunar Metallic Mist" I think). So far the car has just under 7000 miles on the odometer. It is sooooo smoooooth and quiet. The power and torque is more than enough for me. Much much quicker than my 92 4 cylinder LE. It almost feels like a mini LS430 (no kidding). I am very satisfied (so far).
  • Options
    I incorrectly referenced you in my last post, I meant masspectator, who commented on not confining a vehicle search to only one dealership.

In my subsequent statement, if you read over my last post you will catch that I was directing congratulations to rife, the new Camry owner who recently posted his/her deal in this forum.

But thanks for your info again anyway! Its always good to hear from satisfied owners!

~alpha
  • Options
    I am in SET region. I think what killed it for my camry was I wanted an xle with the premium pkg, not the premium plus pkg. SET only orders xle's with premium plus in my region and dealers in SET do not swap outside of the region. I did not see paying the xtra $700 for the sunroof that I would hardly ever use. I also wanted side airbags and heated seats, a little rare in my area. When i placed my order the salesman said he had worked there 6 years and only done 3 special orders.

Leave it to me. Buying a sable and a camry and cannot find one on a lot in the SE that I am happy with. However, in the long run I am very happy with both of the cars because I got just what i wanted and did not pay for stuff I did not want.
  • Options
    I agree that if you have something you want in mind a dealer exchange is in order. The 60 mos at 0% was a big selling point to me and was available that weekend only in the Dayton/ Cincinnati region. 60 mos at 0% is unheard of on a Toyota in my opinion. So I decided on the car without ABS. I shopped on a Sun afternoon and there was no time to search for others. I'm very happy with it. I went with Sand Mica. I think the dealer may have made a mistake and given me a Lexus instead of a Camry. This car is so smooth and quite, it's unbelievable.
  • Options
    "I think the dealer may have made a mistake and given me a Lexus instead of a Camry. This car is so smooth and quite, it's unbelievable. "

I agree! Look at the additional luxury features of the xle and what you said really rings true. Glad you like your car. I wasn't able to get 0%, but I got 1K rebate and 2.9% for 60 months. I was very pleased with this deal. I am working on paying xtra each month to pay the car off early and minimize the interest paid.