Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lynchelynche Member Posts: 13
    Good chance, though not sure you'll actually come out ahead after you factor in the taxes etc. you paid. I saw a video (CNN.com?) where someone bought a couple years old Prius thorugh eBay for more than it originally sold for. They interviewed the buyer who said he drove over 100 miles a day and couldn't wait for dealers to get any new ones.
  • lynchelynche Member Posts: 13
    Check your local papers to see what dealers are offering as "loss leaders" and use that to judge how good your price is. Loss leaders often are base models which makes the big advertised low price seem even better.
  • rocket1234rocket1234 Member Posts: 3
    Hi:
    Thanks for you guys for posting so many very useful information. They are trully helpful. I live in Houston, looking for a deal for Camry LE. I wonder if somebody can share with me his(her) shopping experience and OTD in houson area. Many thanks.
    mamami_2007yahoo.com
  • friess25friess25 Member Posts: 1
    I can use some advice. I placed an order for a 2009 TCH on May 15th and yesterday I called the dealing about the delivery status of the car. He told me that he did not know when the car would be available - whether is was 3 weeks or 3 months, he did not know. He then went on to say that because of the gas price situation, Toyota could not keep up with the demand and that purchasers now were paying up to $3,500 over sticker. My contract basically was $1,500 under sticker. So I wonder if the dealer wants to get out of the deal by saying that I am not going to be able to have the car for a long time and that maybe I'll walk away. By the way, I put $3,000 down when I signed the contract. Can any provide some advice or insight into what is going on?

Thanks.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Didn't they give you an expected delivery date when you placed your order? Dealers know their incoming shipment schedule well in advance. I'd bump this up to the sales manager, and beyond, if they aren't holding to the original agreement.

Needless to say, if they're trying a crude shakedown for more money, I'd be surprised if they didn't back down quickly in the face of your determination not to let them get away with it. The law, in most states, is on your side.
  • macno0bmacno0b Member Posts: 22
    ____________________-
    $20,000 OTD
    financier convinced us to buy the extra 3yr warranty which i plan to cancel.
    do you guys think its worth keeping it? (paid ~1100 for 3yr warranty..)

Wow, that was a good price. Was that a LE? I am in the market for a LE. I am in Chicago area as well. From what dealership did you buy it? If you could, please reply asap because I am likely to buy it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Thank you
    p/s: According to my research, never buy the extended warranty from the dealers. You can buy the same thing online much cheaper. Hope that helps.
  • lferrislferris Member Posts: 5
    Wow, that's an awesome price. What state are you in, or what dealership was that from? We have two in Tucson, AZ and both are selling the TCH for MSRP without budging much. I could get the Costco discount which is $500 off MSRP for the 2009 model. The guy told me he expects it to be removed from the Costco list in the near future like the Prius.

Some other guy posted or here that the Costco discount was $650 above invoice for the TCH. That just isn't true now, unless it varies from state to state. The other vehicles from Toyota vary on the list, but most are less than $1000 over invoice. The regular Highlander, for example, is $750 over invoice. A few are only $200 over invoice.

Hybrids are usually always excluded from rebates, you were lucky to find one.
    I was shown the Costco list in and here were the prices:
    Regular Camry: $650 over invoice
    Hybrid Camry: $500 off MSRP

A lot of people are quoting either $500 over invoice or $650 over invoice for the hybrid. Can all of these numbers be correct, or are they getting mixed up? It sounded like the Costco prices changed monthly, but maybe it's weekly and they Hybrid keeps getting lowered. Or I'm wondering if the dealer I talked with altered the sheet or something. I sure would've jumped on $500 over invoice. I'm not sure about $500 of MSRP. Is this too much? It seems like it if others are really getting over 4 grand under invoice. That just seems too good to be true.

Lastly, does buying near the end of the month (for quota-making purposes) really make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
  • lsbcallsbcal Member Posts: 11
    The internet and best deal pricing changed dramatically in the last month or so. Toyota production cutbacks did not anticipate the demand surge because of the gas price increases. Hopefully the demand/supply picture will rebalance itself in a few months. I'm not buying until it does.
  • iceman9294iceman9294 Member Posts: 5
    Try to hang tight however understand that demand for these vehicles is not going to slow down. Toyota recently announced that they are building plants in Australia and China to specifically build TCH.
    I finally found a dealership that will sell a TCH to me for under MSRP. They will do $1200 over invoice, which I think is roughly $1500 under MSRP (an almost fully loaded vehicle).

One dealer today told me that Toyota has stopped producing TCH for awhile to use the batteries for Prius backorders. However, another dealer told me that was B.S. -- he hadn't heard any such thing. I doubt it's true because if I go ahead with this deal, the car starts production on 7/21 and will be delivered to the dealership in mid-August. Or at least that's what I was told.

I'm tempted to take this deal. I usually don't like to pay more than 500 over invoice (I do think it's okay for a dealer to make 3-5 percent), but in this case I can't see demand dropping anytime soon. I've talked with 6 Toyota dealerships and no one would budge from MSRP except 2. One offered 500 under but hasn't called me back, and then I got the 1200 over invoice offer.

If anyone lives in AZ and would like the dealership name, just let me know.
  • bourne1bourne1 Member Posts: 20
    that was Grossinger toyota (Skokie Blvd & Touhy) and it was the base model.

regarding the warranty
    i called in to cancel it, but since the paperworks were based on *me getting the warranty*, i'l have to redo it (dunno if its true or not)
    anyway he offered another yr (so altogether 4yrs bumper to bumper warranty) and he also switched us to toyota warranty (Initially it was some 3rd party comp.)
  • tarugstarugs Member Posts: 16
    I'm from TX and we do not have deals for TCH like that which are posted here. I received this email from a dealership I requested a quote from for a 4-cyl SE, it is for a TCH and prius:

Get your Hybrid Camry or Prius within 30 days!

We have been allotted a generous division of Hybrid vehicles for this month. 12 Camry Hybrids and 11 Prius'. No other North Texas dealer has received this much. We expect them to arrive here within 30 days. Please come in as soon as you can to claim your vehicle.

What's involved in taking your order?
    -We finalize how the vehicle will be equipped.
    -We finalize the price (MSRP+$2500).
    -A deposit is required ($1000).
    -I provide an update on your car every five days.
    -When your car arrives, you take delivery.
  • azbill2azbill2 Member Posts: 1
    Would appreciate the name of that AZ Toyota dealer. I'm new here from CA and can buy there for invoice from several stores. In AZ dealers are very independent. Thank you for your help.
    Thanks Bourne1,

I was there today but sales was closed. I did not see that many new cars. Most of the cars were trade-in.

let me just clarify, so you bought a base model (CE) for $20,000 OTD including $1100 extended warranty? Which means the OTD price of the car itself is $18900.

I am hoping to get a Black LE for $20,000 OTD. Do you think it is feasible?

How open were they to negotiation on the Camry 09? I was after a Civic before but all the dealers wouldnt budge from the MSRP price which makes the Civic worth as much as the Camry, ridiculous.

Thanks again
  • missjazz70missjazz70 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a car at Toyota of Runnemede in NJ a few weeks back. I was told that they would have no problems finding the car I wanted. I wanted a Camry with black leather seats. When I showed up the next week to pick up the car, they tried to send me home in one with light gray leather seats. When I refused to take it, they told me that it would be really hard to find the car that I wanted because I wanted so many options. I had wanted GPS. They told me I couldn't have that in a 4 cylinder. I wanted Sirius. They told me that it would take too long and that it would be cheaper to get it myself. So basically, all I was getting was an SE with black leather seats. It's been weeks and now they claim that I can't get it because of some strike going on in NY. :mad: :cry: At this point, I wish I had purchased a Honda.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Save yourself money by getting an aftermarket like a TOM TOM or other type of GPS, getting one with the car doesn't increase its value, and you are basically wasting money on it. So far out of all the Camry models that have the NAV, the only one that is truly useful are the ones on the Hybrids since they tie into the hybrid system and give more information than the dash display does, but aside from that, it is an overpriced option. I just checked the build tool and NAV is not an option on the SE line either.
  • lsbcallsbcal Member Posts: 11
    Perhaps you've done this but I'd call other dealer's internet sales departments. Get a little competition going. Try calling within a radius of maybe 1 hour. And why not look at the Honda too and let the Toyota guys know you are fair but looking for the best deal.
  • btalmagebtalmage Member Posts: 6
    I plan on buying an 09 TCH from Sunnyvale Fleet/internet sales, and also checking with Fremont Toyota and Piercy. Did you receive your TCH yet? have you got an update on when car will be delivered? How did you get an est date specified in your contract? I worry that they say 4-6 weeks, but may really be 3 months! where did you read the customer satisfaction ratings for these dealers?
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Hi, Guys:
    During this July 4th weekend, at Bay Area (408), I have seen the price info about Camry on the Mecury Newspaper- All V6 $5,500 off MSRP and I4 $4,500 off MSRP.
    Enjoy.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Those are fantastic numbers. Wonder if the incentives in CA are different from those in the Cincinnati Region ($1000 rebate on the 6 and $500 on the 4).
  • camry1317camry1317 Member Posts: 16
    Bought a brand new fully loaded (except for Nav) 2008 Camry Hybrid in February, could have got with or without Nav, it would have been $1000 more for the Nav so i decided against it...

MSRP: $29919
    Current Rebate: -1000
    Recent College Grad Rebate: -400
    Additional Money off: -4000

Price = $24519

Tax, title, reg, etc +1575

Price Paid = $26094

I also got a finance rate through Toyota of less then 5% from Toyota as part of the college grad rebate...

At the time this was the best deal I had seen, after 8000 miles of 35 mpg+ ... I feel like I stole the car. I was wondering if anyone has seen a camry hybrid with heated leather, bluetooth, etc. sell for any cheaper than what I got mine for. I was also wondering if anyone thinks the demand will go down in the winter and I will be able to buy the same car anywhere close to the price I paid for my first one...
    No
    it was actually 20k+1100=$21100 (OTD including warranty)
    sorry for the confusion

edited to add:
    my car was located at a different parking lot (they had to bring it in for test drive)..so don't worry about the # of new cars
    Thanks, How was your experience with them? I checked the reviews of Grossinger Toyota North, They appeared in many Rip Off Reports and had very bad reviews. I will look around and post back my OTD price. Thanks again
  • brentuncbrentunc Member Posts: 3
    :blush: I just placed an order for an '09 Camry Hybrid with navigation, leather and XM for $1500 under MSRP ($28964) + $400 back for military + $400 new graduate bonus. Not bad but I was hoping for a little better.
    most of my negotiations took place over the phone/email.
    i did see many negative reviews on sites, before going there, but thought to take a chance (mainly 'coz of lowest price quote).i'm glad i did that.
    i hope you will have a similar experience.
    good luck
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    NAV is readily available on the 09 Camry SE -V6 Model. We have one sitting in our lot right now. Sweet car!
  • camrytpacamrytpa Member Posts: 8
    I have a quote for the following, Is it a good deal?

Camry LE V6
    Floor mats are the only addition
    Silver
    Ashe Fabric

Tampa Bay Area with sales tax being 7%

$21,500 out the door - inludes $1,000 off for a trade in, so actually $22,500 out the door

Thanks in advance,
    Karen
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Depends what the real value of your trade in is. Did you take it to another location to get a outright purchase value, like at a CarMax? What are some of the other tradein values from say KBB? If your car is worth 3K, and they are giving you 1K for it...then No.

You can get a pretty good idea on the new car no haggle price itself from www.fitzmall.com, except it appears most of their V6's have the upgraded JBL and alloy wheels...so you'd have to back those options out. Do an MSRP to MSRP compare to see how much more those options add to the MSRP.
  • shabbirnshabbirn Member Posts: 6
    Hello Karen

does the $21.5K INCLUDE taxes, and all the charges.

I would say offer them $22.5K out of the door without tradeIN and then sell the car by yourself

I just bought 2009 LE V6 with leather upgrade for $23.5K out of the door(tax,tags,fees INCLUDED)
    hope that is a good deal.

toyota of tampa bay was giving me the same deal
  • camrytpacamrytpa Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

Yes, it included all the fees and taxes. I checked my 10 yr old Buick (100k miles) on kbb.com and in fair condition (it IS fair) the trade-in would be $1400. It has issues but I do have someone who will buy it for $800.

So, out the door with fees and taxes at $22.5K, no trade-in ? I'm also paying cash but I don't think that matters much. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shabbim - did you have any other upgrade besides the leather seats at $23k out the door?

Sounds like I may need to do some more haggling.
    What I don't hear is that you know the invoice price of this car. ALWAYS negotiate from the invoice price, not the MSRP. Go to KBB.com or edmunds site here for invoice pricing. Then only work off that price, not the MSRP. fMake sure it is a 2009, as the 2007 2008 V6s have problems worse than average per Consumer Reports. Also, Test drive a 4 and V6, the 4 is pretty peppy, cheaper too. Without mentioning the deal you have so far, call the Fleet Sales Mgr at that dealer (and a couple other dealers, and tell each what price you get, it is not a secret that you want the best deal and let them know they have to complete for your business). The fleet sales are easy to deal with, no pressure selling, they just give you a price from invoice over the phone (it could be $200 over, it could even be $200 under as they struggle to move cars). If told to come in, say no, you are serious buyer, but if they are a serious seller, then they will give you an invoice price over the phone. Don't talk trade-in at all, even if asked. You are to make a deal first, then work on a trade in price (the higher the trade in price, the less they are lowering the new price, it's obvious).

Camry LE-4cyl invoice is $19655 (incl dest charge). Add the invoice price of each option, s(uch as leather is $1300, but $1009 invoice)
    Camry XLE-4cyl invoice is $

You can also get a good starting place by going to Carsdirect.com, which offers easy price figuring and honest company. You take their quote and buy it, get online quotes then negotiate over those, or use to to get a lower quote at the dealers (remember to involve more than one dealer, make them compete).They will show you what price they would get a dealer in your area to accept. Since the V6 is not selling well, Toyota Corp was offering $1500 nationwide rebates on top of a good deal, but that deal expired July 7th. But maybe they extended it, as they often do, you can check with the dealer. You still have wiggle room, and V6s aren't selling well due to gas prices (even though they only get a 2-4 mpg less than a 4cyl says Consumer Reports, and there are plenty of V6 Camry's on the lots to choose from. Try for a better deal. Keep tax/license separate to see the true price of the car, since you'll pay that anyway, then add it in to see what the final price.
  • shabbirnshabbirn Member Posts: 6
    I think you can do better $22K out of the door would be very good!! i think thats around $1500 below invoice on the V6

I got loan from a credit union for 60 months at 4.49%

Contact Toyota of tampa bay internet team and i think you should be successful. Try to get them to put in the tint for you as well
  • michiganautomichiganauto Member Posts: 4
    I am also in Michigan and look for a 2009 Camry LE.
    Could you please share with us the dealer information?
    I got an invoice for 2009 LE-4cyl with the following items:

Vehicle 18532
    VSC w/ Traction Control 520
    Destination charge 660
    TDA 417
    Dealer holdback 428
    Whsl. Financial reserve 214

I am not quite sure what the TDA, the Dealer holdback, and the Whsl. Financial reserve are for.

Why did the dealer include these items and charge me?
    Should I negotiate to take them off the price?
    Too much.

Shop around for a better deal..........
    LE with VSC
    Kiawah,

Thank you very much for the advice.
    The number is very impressive.

Since I am new with car shopping over the Internet, could you please advise me how the process will be if I purchase my car over the Internet?

How will the shipping / delivery be?
    How will the documentation and title be?
    How will the sales tax be? When I register it in Michigan, do I need to pay Michigan sales tax?

Look forward to here more advices please.
    There are a number of folks who have signed/mailed some paperwork, flew there, the dealership picked them up and the Marta station, they inspected the car, signed the final paperwork, and drove home (one packaged it with a sightseeing vacation in DC). I personally came very close to doing that, but my local dealer finally matched their price. They are about 4 hours from me, and across the street from a business location I deal with, so I've stopped in to check them out. I have a number of friends, a relative, and business associates who live in that area and have bought from them and very pleased.

I'm not endorsing them one way or the other. You make your own assessment, although I think their business model is fantastic and the way of the future. I'm not associated in any way with them. They do however, provide an option to those in geographic areas where the dealers aren't providing that aggressive pricing. Very upfront, really no-haggle and aggressive pricing

If you think you might be interested, give them a call and ask them how they can make it work. At a minimum, it gives you a price point to consider as an alternative to your local dealership. You know your local dealer CAN go lower, IF they want to go lower based on their desired profit margins and inventory costs is a question that only they can answer. Another alternative to consider, is to walk into your local dealership and tell them you'll buy that car for XX, XXX.....take it or leave it. But you need to be prepared to walk and go elsewhere. Most dealerships are reasonable, and will take a small deal rather than no deal. Just make it a reasonable price to them.

I believe they give you temporary 10 day travel plates, and you register the vehicle wherever you live, and pay sales tax at that time.

The point is.....you have options. Shop around until you are comfortable with the deal. Doesn't have to be the lowest price, needs to be a reasonable price. You don't want to waste your time to save 50 bucks, get a reasonable deal, get close, and pull the trigger.
    Kiawah,

This is excellent information.. Thank you very much.
    Your post makes this forum very helpful, especially for a new car buyer like me.
  • gaffgaff Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in purchasing a 2009 Toyota Camry XLE. Outside of Boston. Sticker prices is 30,414. How much over dealers invoice should I pay? Dealer did not give me a price.
    26,300 + tax + tags

V6-XLE

.This one is a little bit more expensive than yours
  • papa317papa317 Member Posts: 2
    I live in upstate NY. Not sure if I am getting a good deal on a 2009 Camry SE. MSRP $24,589
    The deal they will give me is $2500 down, $239 month, 36 months, 12000 miles a year. This includes taxes and DMV fees.
    What do you think? Thanks!
  • cmsgtzcmsgtz Member Posts: 4
    Quick question, did they give you an estimated delivery date?
  • papa317papa317 Member Posts: 2
    They didn't have the color I wanted in stock, but they are getting it from another dealer. Should be 7-10 for delivery.
    Anybody from NorCal area get a new 09 Camry Hybrid? Let me know what you got going out there in terms of deals. I'm in San Jose area. I checked with Fleet and Internet the first week in July at all dealers from Roseville and Folsom, Sacramento (Maita), down to all the SF Bay Area dealers. most wanted over MRSP, or $500 under. Costco deals in June were $650 over inv, now $1000 under MSRP, still not good, but too much demand. Only Sunnyvale Toy and Piercy Toy were locally offering Costco discount on TCH. Best deal so far is $1000-1200 over invoice of $28,503 incl LA, UP, CQ, mats (~$29,500 +tax/lic. MSRP is $31,567).

To get earlier delivery, can't order what you want, but must take what car options come from factory, so either low-end or fully loaded Nav/Leath. Waiting is about 1-2 months, some dealers quote 2-3 months, but Sunnyvale has higher allocations. There are 50 on order now at the dealership, which seems bad news, but Prius waiting list is now up to 300!!.

Ext Warr from Toyota (Platnum) 7yr/100k is WAY cheaper if you buy it online also from other Toy dealers. Priced at only $990, zero ded.

buy extended warranty online for your TCH, not from the dealer, or use online quotes at least to get better deals. getting prices like $990 for 7yr/100k with 0 ded on Toyota Platinum extended warranty (the one you need if you have a Hybrid). All you need is your VIN number. There are 3-4 great dealers in the East that are selling at these prices, insted of $1800-2400! Crazy, people pay that, b/c they didn't know to shop around.
  • tclantontclanton Member Posts: 15
    What would be the best extended warranty for a 2009 Camry XLE 4 cylinder?
    If you don't have a hybrid or Nav, I suggest as most others, including consumer reports, that you do not need a warranty at all, especially these reliable Toyotas. I have 2 1999 corolla's and neither have ever been in the shop. Most will tell you the same. If you buy for peace of mind or to add resale value (people want to buy a car still under warranty), then spend the $500-600 to get the lower level plan (the Platinum plan is to cover hybrid parts and Nav, it costs $990 for yr/100k/0deduct. But you can get the 6yr/100k or 7r/75k miles, to save money, but depends on your yearly miles you expect to drive. You have up to the first 3yr/36k to purchase this ext warr, so no hurry... best deals are from Troy at ToyotaofGreenfield in Mass (TDietrich@FactoryDiscountWarranty.com. You can also check WarranyShack.com or MiswestSuperStore.com, and you'll pay half the dealer rate for genuine toyota ext warranty. Or negotiate with your dealer to lower their price to the same. But do not mention to the dealer who you are buying the warranty from, as it causes him to get nasty emails from other dealers.

Here is the link to the toyota corp's Extra Care Extended Warranty details

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_NewV- ehicleProtectionPlan
  • james108james108 Member Posts: 34
    Yes,

I got an LE V6 with $5500 discount on July 4th. It's a really good deal on an excellent car. We like it. :)
  • bnguyenbnguyen Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience in owning a Hybrid Camry? Is it worth paying for? What's the repair cost ...
    Thanks

I'm debating on whether to get an Accord or Camry Hybrid ?

Thanks