Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• raamoo84raamoo84 Member Posts: 1
    Hey , congratulations on your new vehicle, I just bought a 2012 Camry XLE, and I wanted to make sure that what the salesman told me, as I have some doubts, is your floor-mat color matches the interior color ( or they all come in black as he claimed),, mine has a beige interior, and I have seen the salesman taking the floor-matts from a black interior Camry in the showroom and that what got me suspicious..

I would really appreciate your answer with all respect to your time and effort..

thank you
  • yuvrajyuvraj Member Posts: 4
    Nope , Only All weather mats comes in black. I got floor mats which matches my interior (ivory)...catch his neck tomorrow :)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The ones that match look good, but they don't last long and they don't do a good job protecting carpet and keeping it clean. Get some Weathertech mats - they are great in my 2010.
  • monty_burnsmonty_burns Member Posts: 2
    That is not too bad of a price. I've received quotes ranging from $25,312 to $25,660. Keep in mind that price is a function of supply/demand. Supply is practicaly nil, so the bargins won't exist. And if you wait until summer when gas prices increase, demand will pick up and therefore price will too.

The best you can do is get multiple bids...most likely they will be fairly similiar so it is what it is.
  • ortolanortolan Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2011
    Monty_Burns,

I was able to negotiate one more time and got another $500.00 off. So my price for a Silver 2012 Camry Hybrid LE will be $24,922 before tax, title, and registration. The LE's are very hard to find right now. It took me a month to secure this one. It's either going to be or on it's way via a cargo vessel. I hope to get it around Dec. 12. I also received a good quote on an Hybrid XLE, but it was more money than we wanted to spend and on paper Hybrid XLE gets 3 less mpg city and 1 mpg less hwy on paper. Also, I calculated each tire change to be about $200-$250 more per set for the 17" tires on the XLE for the brand of tires I always purchase.

I was originally dead-set on a Prius, then a Prius v, but ultimately settled on the Camry Hybrid for the driveability. I test drove both the Prius and the Prius v last week. The Prius was nice but a little smaller than I'm used to and the v was very roomy, with a better sitting position, which is slightly higher, but it's way under powered in my opinion. I know Prii are cars that are mainly built for mpg but merging on the hwy in the v under full throttle was a little scary, you definitely have to plan your merger in heavy traffic. There were only 2 people in the car at the time and I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with 4 people and the car full of gear.

Again, I'm not saying that the v is all bad, it's a great addition to the standard Prius with many improvements, but it's just not for me. The 2012 Camry Hybrid's are supposed to do 0-60 in the low 7's, which is pretty impressive for a 4 cylinder, it's supposed to drive very much like a V6, but delivery 40+ mpg! I'm basically giving up a little gas mileage compared to the standard Prius, (not the v) for driveability.

Looking forward to getting my LE for sure!
  • cancun1cancun1 Member Posts: 112
    3camry,

what was the msrp and invoice prices for the 2012 SE that you paid 20,300 + TTL+doc fee?
  • bda576bda576 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I just bought a 2012 Camry SE 4 Cylinder for $23898.00 + Tax. The car has Nav/Sunroof/Entune/Cargo Net/and Floor Mats. I just wanted to know if you think this is a fair price? The MSRP was over $26000. Also, I bought the Platinum Warranty (100k, 6 Years, 0 Deductible) for $1399. I think it's a good deal, but I would appreciate any feedback if a better deal can be made. Thanks.

P.s. the car was bought in California.
  • yuvrajyuvraj Member Posts: 4
    Car it's good price.. You have room to negotiate.. may be you can get him down by another 2-300.. Regarding Platinum Warranty you over paid it.. search online you will get it for around $700 bucks..
  • dmbmay98dmbmay98 Member Posts: 19
    It is Toyota West. His name was Chad Sothard.
    Thanks for your advice. I was thinking the warranty was a bit high. I think I'll just cancel that since I have 60 days to do so.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    So my wife has decided on a loaded XLE instead of a Prius IV. I priced one out on Truecar and one of the dealers listed showed a price of $27350 on a MSRP of $31250. It has convenience, leather, blind spot, safety connect and JBL/Nav system.
    I actually spoke to someone at that dealership and asked them how they are $1500 less than the other two dealers prices listed and they just said they sell more so they can discount more.
    I'm a little leery since invoice is shown at $28656 and can't believe a relatively new car on the market could sell at that price since I don't see any incentives. :confuse:
    I was thinking of offering $28500, but now not so sure since I don't want to pay more than I need to.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
  • timber115timber115 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking for same car in central NJ. Spoke with a dealer on Friday and he of course said what will it take etc..................... I told him $27k and he looked at us like we had two heads. After reading several posts, it looks like I wasn't that far off. I think a good offer would be $27,500. Considering there are many dealers, that price is close to doable.
  • knight_ruknight_ru Member Posts: 10
    I'm interested in a XLE Hybird with Leather, convenience package (moonroof), and basic entune package. MSRP says 31,980. Got a quote of 30,000. Invoice for the car is 29,891 and dealer cost according to truecar is 29,350.

Basically - my question is this - can you get lower than invoice? I doubt it on the hybrid, but wanted to hear some opinions.
    edited November 2011
    knight_ru,

In my search, the best I was able to get was $700.00 UNDER invoice, but your mileage will vary. I imagine that in different parts of the county there are higher demands than others. Invoice for any 2012 Camry Hybrid is a decent price right now. Anything lower is a bonus IMHO, most stealers oops~ I meant dealers have a stance that if one doesn't purchase at their asking price that someone else will.

I personally believe that once the 2012 Camry Hybrids updates, particularly the big increase in MPG become widely publicized to average Joe's looking @ Prii and other hybrids they will be much harder to come by. This was my case, I never really considered the Camry Hybrid even though I knew about it. The new figures for 43 MPG city for a mid-size sedan, and 0-60 low 7 seconds is nothing to sneeze at. You could wait until summer, but as one poster said earlier to me, gas prices will most likely be higher, which will increase demand and drive up selling prices.

The XLE Hybrid was really appealing to me, but I'm purchasing a hybrid based mostly on gas savings since we drive about 100 miles-a-day and I can't justify the extra cost even though the options are a good value for the money. The extra cost of an XLE would increase our pay back ratio (the time it would take for us to recoup the extra cost spent on a hybrid vs. non-hybrid). Also, I keep my vehicles for a very long time, my last car was a 97 Maxima put 206k on it before selling it. I also worry about the long-reliability of the extra electronics on the higher-end models. I know that's what warranties are for but warranties don't cover the time you spend taking the car into to the dealership when problems arise and reliability is very high on list when making purchasing decisions.

Do keep in mind that the XLE has 17" tires so it does get 3 miles less city and 1 miles less hwy mpg. 17" tires will generally perform better on dry pavement compared to 16". I try to factor in total operating costs when I purchase a vehicle and replacement tires will be about $30 - $40 more for each tire when it comes time to replace them compared to 16" tires. I don't know your financial situation and if you don't care about these things the XLE Hybrid is a really nice ride! I do wish they had a cheap 16" alloy wheel option for the Hybrid LE but they don't. That's about my only gripe about the LE.

Good luck on your search!
  • sparetiressparetires Member Posts: 3
    Bda76, could you please share which dealer this is from? Also, did the dealer provide you with any Camry incentives? TIA!
    Hi, the dealer is John Elway Crown Toyota in Ontario, CA. I was offered a college grad incentive, but that fell through; so no incentives. Also, I was quoted a price of $23,500 drive out for the base SE, but decided to upgrade for sunroof and navigation.

Somethings I learned:

- It's best to deal with internet team or fleet manager, avoid lot salesmen.
    - If you get a quote via phone, it's best to ask for it in writing. Tell the guy to email it (If he doesn't, he lied about the price). You can then use this price to get lower offers from other dealers.
    - The best quote I received for the base SE was $22,610 drive out from a dealer in Corona.
    - I had a bad experience at Longo, maybe it was just the salesmen (Heecher Yoon), but I would not deal with them.
    - Manhattan Beach Toyota seems nice and matched prices, but didn't have the color I wanted. Same for Puente Hills.
    - In California you have 60 days to return the warranty if you realize you overpaid (I did and am returning it).
    - Last one, but very important. Do not get fooled into buying the warranty or extra crap because you are told that Toyota Bank will not finance you otherwise. I was offered a deal at Hollywood Toyota, which included a crazy $3000 extended warranty and GAP insurance they told me I must get. Screw them!!

Still Questioning:

- Some dealers would not budge on destination charges, while others said it was already included in the invoice price. If somebody has a definite answer please let me know. Thanks.
  • se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2011
    The destination charge is shown on the invoice, and I've never seen any dealer (truly) budge on them.

Note "truly", because whenever a dealer "budges" on anything, they're making it up someplace else. They do have to make money to stay in business. It is, however, your job to make sure that they make as little as possible (but still workable for them) off of you. That's why you should solicit as many quotes as possible from different dealers, because some move more vehicles than others. They have sales targets, manufacturer to dealer incentives, etc. so some dealers can cut closer to the bone than others and still come out on top.
  • sparetiressparetires Member Posts: 3
    THANK YOU for your detailed answer!

I'm actually looking for the exact same configurations on the SE and was hoping to get in on the $1000 college grad + the $1000 Camry certificates (which is now all gone). So far the best I've been quoted is $23,890 w/o any incentives or rebates. The dealer is willing to give me $400 for being a college grad, but isn't it a standard $1,000? Also, he's willing to give me 0% financing.

Please let me know how I can do better! Thank you!!
    I think the price your getting is good for the Camry. It's lower than what I got and you still haven't added any incentives. As for the college grad rebate, I think it's a standard $1000, but I'm not sure. I would check on Toyota.com or ask the dealer to see the college grad paperwork. Goodluck!
  • azilegirlazilegirl Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    We just bought a Camry hybrid XLE fully loaded and then some. We started by getting Internet quotes from various dealers (Atlanta area) and found that there were only 3 XLE's with nav available in all of GA. All the dealers quoted us invoice price- $34,600 MSRP for $32,400 plus delivery costs and tax and no one would budge much on that price because they're not plentiful right now. But one dealer had a custom ordered one which had many more bells and whistles than a standard fully loaded XLE (spoiler, tires, tinting, body molding and more) where the person ordering it decided it wasn't the color he wanted and asked them to order another in a different color. I think the dealer was afraid they wouldn't be able to get rid of it easily so they sold it to us out the door for $33,100 plus tax and they covered the first month's payment. ($36,600 sticker) And, because it was the last day of the month, they really wanted to get rid of it.
    End of month is always the best time to haggle with dealers. All the other dealers are either waiting for their next shipment (we were told they'd be in by January) and some were willing to transport one from another dealer for an extra delivery fee. It seems to get a hybrid right now in this region, because of limited stock, invoice is a decent deal.
    azilegirl,

Congratulations on your XLE Hybrid! I think you got a great deal on the loaded one that the other customer canceled. Curious what kind of MPG you're getting it so far?
  • azilegirlazilegirl Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ortolan! We're enjoying it a great deal. It's my husband's commuter car and he's a lead footed driver. That being said, he tried driving it very carefully and was able to drive from work to home one afternoon averaging 43.6 mpg. It's a 30 mile trip with about 60% freeway and 40% high speed surface streets. The next day he had to get home fast and drove it aggressively and got 36.2mpg for the trip. Overall average, if he's not being too careful but not driving as if he's on a track, he's been getting between 39 to 40mpg. Tonight he drove from a local burger joint home, about a 2 mile trip and did most of it on battery and got 93.4mpg. That includes some pretty decent hills in our neighborhood.
    Overall he's super happy with the performance and mpg he's been getting.
    edited December 2011
    azilegirl,

Sounds like the 2012 Camry Hybrid is a winner! Mine is on the way and should be at the dealership around the middle of this month. I'm very impressed by the real world mileage that you guys are achieving consider that the Camry is a real mid-size vehicle. Our family was set on purchasing a Prius until I started reading about the new 2012 Camry Hybrid. I really liked the Prius but was never in love with it if that makes sense.

I'm used to a little bit more power and room and the Prius was too much of a departure from that. I'm sure there will be times that I will try to squeeze as many MPG out of the 2012 Camry Hybrid when I get it, but not at the expense of irritating other drivers. Mostly plan on driving it like I do a non-hybrid car, which is with the flow of traffic.

Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about the 2012 Camry Hybrid considering it's a mid-size car that can achieve 40+ MPG. the previous 2011 Hybrid was 31 MPG City so 2012 is a huge improvement.

Please keep us posted regarding your driving experience with the new Camry Hybrid! BTW, what color did you purchase?
  • turismo29turismo29 Member Posts: 1
    2012 Camry LE super white, price paid $19,988 +ttl. Financed with toyota for 2.9% APR for 60 months. Located in Orange County California
  • briguywibriguywi Member Posts: 2
    We've had out Hybrid XLE for almost a month now... I routinely get 45-47 MPG on my 12 mile drive home from work... mixed driving, 60MPH and under. I'm not a hypermiler, but I try not to stomp in the gas pedal too much, if I can help it. We've had a few trips around our suburban neighborhood that registered up to 48 MPG. Overall, seems to me that Toyota's MPG listings on the new Camry Hybrid are def. on the conservative side. I mostly get MPGs that are higher than they have estimated. LOVE this car!
    briguywi,

Thanks for the additional feedback on the real world MPG numbers. I'm really happy that Toyota's MPG are accurate. BTW, the 'wi" in your user name doesn't mean you're from WI does it and if so did you purchase your 2012 XLE Hybrid from Smart Toyota? I ask because when I first inquired about the 2012 Camry Hybrid one of the salesman told me that someone had gotten a fully loaded XLE, which I got to see in person but could not drive because someone had purchased it already and was picking it up the next day. It was one first one's available in the country.

That was almost 1 month ago.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Just one correction to your post "Toyota's MPG listings on the new Camry". It is the EPA that comes up with the MPG listings, not the manufacturer.
  • smeggosmeggo Member Posts: 3
    I am having trouble finding any hybrid xle in the Midwest that are not loaded. I am trying to find them without leather and it looks like there are plenty in the southeast coming in but none around me. Any ideas on how to get my hands on one?
  • vacarsearchervacarsearcher Member Posts: 1
    Smeggo:

Try doing an Internet keyword search with Midwest Toyota Car Dealer
    maybe add Inventory also

This might help identify dealerships and the specific cars in their inventory

I have been using Truecar.com to get a price of $31,567 in Virginia, has anyone gotten better than that?

That's for the 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE loaded (leather ,moonroof, conven,blnd apt, safety con)

What the best price anyone has seen before tax, and other fees?

Anyone get a similar vehicle in or near Virginia?
  • smeggosmeggo Member Posts: 3
    I just got a Camry Hybrid XLE with convenience package and navigation with entune for invoice. I had to get my Illinois dealership to get it from Wisconsin but I finally found it. I think I did as good as could i could. The whole process took less then an hour as I made it clear that I wouldn't haggle. Nobody I talked to would go less than invoice so I feel comfortable with my decision. Does it sound like a good deal?
  • nandanmvnandanmv Member Posts: 5
    turismo29 - That seems to be a good price. Did you have any incentives? Any tips? I am getting quotes at around 21K.
  • wantedcarquotewantedcarquote Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday got 2012camry LE at $22,750 all down OTD price. Leather and 2 yr Toyota maintenance included. Hope it's a good deal. Please let me know.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    edited December 2011
    LE doesn't have leather. The dealer would have had get a third party to install aftermarket leather seat covers of some kind.

OTD price reports that include local sales tax and local DMV registration fees without separating and itemizing them out just confuse and complicate comparisons.
    It's better to list the actual sales price of the car and any added fees you paid that go to the dealership like doc fees and dealer prep fees, not local or state tax and registration fees that are real and go straight to the government.
    Also, you need to mention any trade in that was involved in the deal because that also pretty much makes your price not comparable to anyone elses. The dealers play games with trade in values and will shift dollars back and forth between value the car you trade in and the purchase price of car you buy. The trade in is always either undervalued or overvalued to make the new car sales price meet artificial dollar amounts or to make extra profit from the trade or to make sure the value assigned to it is high enough to pay off outstanding loans on the trade-in vehicle.
    Not comparable at all to anyone else reading your price quote.
  • ewkidewkid Member Posts: 5
    2012 Camry SE
    Sticker Prices
    MSRP:$23,000
    8-Way Power Seat: $440.00
    Wheel Locks: $67.00
    Carpet/Trunk Mats: 225.00
    Delivery: 760.00
    Dealer add-on, pin stripe, door edge guards, wheel lip molding: 345.00
    Total: 24,837.00

Actual Price: 22,337.00

I got this price easily, you go lower.
  • david_iowadavid_iowa Member Posts: 3
    Anybody in the midwest got a good deal? I was quoted this price (before ttl): $21,650. Much worse than what other people are getting.

Any suggestions?
  • gofgof Member Posts: 2
    Here is what I paid

Silver
    Convenience package
    JBL stereo CD
    Moonroof
    All weather mats
    Leather package
    Paint protection film
    Remote engine start
    MSRP: $32,525
    Paid: $28,487
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    Here is a price i am quoted on a the 2012 SE 4 Cylinder Auto Transmission, please advise if this seems good or not possible.

$23000 car
    1789 options
    815 manufacturers delivery, processing and handling
    -----------------
    25,604 Total for car

Options in this particular vehicle are, entune system, 8 way power drivers seat, mats.

Total out the door with Florida 6% sales tax and a transferred tag

Price : $ 24,620.81 Is this good??? No trade, no incentives, they also claim no dealer fee. (I know they add somewhere though)...Thanks in advance.
  • justmencamry1justmencamry1 Member Posts: 2
    I think that's a very good deal. I bought mine camry SE with power seat and carpet for $24,000 OTD. MSRP: 24,425. Sales show me the invoice price for $22,600 and sold it to me for $21,900 before TTL. they said they loss $700. Now, that's without any incentives.

I really don't know how your dealer can offer this much discounts. How they make money???
  • justmencamry1justmencamry1 Member Posts: 2
    Is your paid price included TTL?
  • gofgof Member Posts: 2
    It does not include TTL. I also added the extended warranty. Total out the door was $32,500.
  • ncalerncaler Member Posts: 14
    Six days left, check out this Toyota rebate offer, http://www.toyota.com/shareathon/
    You tweet, you get $500 rebate. 10 more friends retweet, you get another $500 rebate. Up to $1000 total. There is a limited # of certificates each day.

I also saw this ads on Edmunds (give edmunds some referral credits). You need to do this:
    1. Go to edmunds.com
    2. Click on "Search New Car Inventory"
    3. Click Toyota
  • camryhybrid12camryhybrid12 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    What I got: 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE (MSRP $27,400) with Convenience Package (MSRP $695), Entune/Nav (no JBL included, MSRP $1050) and Carpeted Floor Mats (MSRP $130) - all original installed by Toyota, adding $760 Delivery, Processing and Handling Fees for a total of MSRP $30,035

Invoice price for above car: $28,066.40, dealer holdback $583

Notes: no additional extras were imposed on me by the dealer (e.g. Etching, Pins etc. other gimmicks, no extra warranty or service agreement or any add on of any sort). Other dealers may add dealer options and services that inflate the price and their profit which they then claim of giving a large discount under their "invoice" or Dealer Posted MSRP which includes such padding. Nothing like that happened in my case.

Special Order: This car was a special order as it was without the moonroof package which is what the regional distributor (tri state region NY, CT, NJ) has decided to include in all Camry Hybrid XLE trims (you cannot get a car without a moonroof here from the dealer's lot normally).

My location: Central NJ near North Brunswick, NJ

Dealer: DCH Brunswick Toyota

Trade-in: I was not able to buy a new car for a very long time (on that see separate post/thread) and I was still the original owner of a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE with 3.1L engine. The odometer stopped working (was working just few miles forward at a time) years back so what it showed (72K miles) was not the real miles. The real miles probably are over 250K miles (not bad for a 21 year old Pontiac...). The car has many problems and needed many fixes so was not worth to repair any more hence, finally I have managed to buy a new car. But the dealer allocated for such $375 as trade-in value (probably I would have donated it or sell it for few $100s to the oil change guy who always was asking me if I will sell it to him....).

What did I pay: $28584 (this is $517.60 above invoice) minus trade-in above of $375 plus $1974.63 NJ Tax plus $7.5 NJ Tire tax plus $384 registration/title (actual cost in NJ) plus $279 dealer document charges Total Out The Door price paid: $30854.13 paid in CASH.

Notes: This was a special order since in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) these models all have a moonroof package (regional distributor decision) and I did not want to have such. The dealer gave me almost $400 for my junk car that I would have given away or sell for almost nothing, saving me the trouble to sell it and deal with the paperwork (I would not post such a car on Craiglist....and get bothered with all those coming to see it...). So basically I got the car for the invoice price plus taxes and fees....And this is for a special order car (not taken from the lot/stock)! Also, while I did the special order, the dealer did not ask me for a deposit, and was waiting for me to return from an overseas trip - I found the car marked as sold even before I signed any paperwork. Also, I only provided my own personal check - no cashier's check. I will post in more details the experience and other information but this is what a long term relationship with the dealer means. I have found one after 21 years! The General Manager of the dealership has personally answered so many emails (almost 24/7 with very short time to answer... using iPhone/iPad too and late at night replies as well...) from me and acted to investigate the info and questions I have, in addition to the rest of the team, salesperson and so on, and this went on since last May - I was treated as family, as if I am the GM's brother or something like that! I had no contacts or no such previous relationship with any one at the dealership so this is amazing! While I think they did not make much money with this deal (they did make some though) they got my business and I will be looking at them to trade-in my car when the new gen of Camry comes out 5 years or so from now (and not to mention that I spread the word to help other buyers whom maybe in a similar situation as I was....). Of course this is not just the GM, everyone at the dealership is amazing and they go way over the norm to build the relationship. This is true from the salesperson (whom make just a small commission on each sale of a car, yet he offers soda from a personal fridge he has in his office - he pays for it himself though the dealership offers coffee/tea etc - , coming on a day he was supposed to be off, just to be able to deliver the car to me, and explain all its features, no hard sell at all, no negativeness, no attempts to add extra to the deal that will inflate the cost and raise their profit - none!) all the way to the general manager, and managers in between. I cannot believe this is a car dealership given the normal bad reputation car dealers have... It seems the group behind this dealership (which has many dealerships all around the USA) have very refreshing and long term view of customers' relationships and trust building - e.g check this pointer http://dchauto.com/test_drive_the_dealer.aspx to see what I mean... That is why they are so successful!

Hope this will be helpful for other buyers and if you wish to ask something do not hesitate to post or private message me. After my many years of not being able to buy a car I thought to give back to fellow car buyers and share my experience (please stay tuned for a thread I will open for such if interested, as someone has suggested to me to do in a PM, to share my thoughts, opinions and experience with this car).

Good luck to all!

Added in: I was able to grab one of those 140 daily Toyota / Twitter $1000 debit card certificate and was able to complete the steps - have submitted the claim already as I bought the car on Dec 15th 2011. I expect to get an additional $1000 off in a form of this debit card - quite a good deal I think. The total paid will then be $29854.13 out the door.
  • blk_in_sfblk_in_sf Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2011
    Just bought fully loaded 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE in No. California Bay Area with the following options:

Convenience Package
    Moonroof
    Leather Package
    Premium HDD Navigation, Entune, and JBL
    Blind Spot Monitor
    Safety Connect
    Floor Mats

The car is magnetic gray with gray leather. The dealership was Momentum Toyota in Fairfield, CA working with D. Schmitz in the internet dept. after using TrueCar.com

MSRP: $34705
    Cost: $31884 + TTL

Price was $2821 below MSRP with no trade in. I was also able to score one of the Toyota/Twitter $500 certificates this morning after I signed up on twitter last night.

Good luck to all.......
  • alleycat10alleycat10 Member Posts: 18
    I just took delivery of essentially the same car, but with one additonal option, that being body side moldings. The selling price was $22,193. My price, out the door, including 7% GA sales tax was $24,314. I bought at Team Toyota Mall of Gerogia in Buford, GA. That price also included a $580 dealer fee. The dealer you talk about lost no money on the sale. They get money back from the manufacturer that is called a holdback.
  • vemuruvemuru Member Posts: 2
    My BIL bought a 2012 Camry LE Classic Silver out of the door including everything for $20,750 on December 11, 2012. The one option included is the 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat. I think all LE models have that. This is in Northern Virginia. Any body got a better deal to compare?
  • vemuruvemuru Member Posts: 2
    Can you post the dealership and the name of the sales person?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• saukessaukes Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Well, I paid $200 over invoice. I live in the Rapid City, SD area. Any reputable dealer will give you that price. If you have a trade in, then they might get you at that end. Watch what they charge for dealer doc prep fee, anything more than $100 is too much. If there is a mark up fee for your area that the dealer charges, you can even get that down. I bought mine 11/11/11, and got 2 - $250 certificates from the dealer. They don't advertise these but they may still have some. Military discount only applies if you use Toyota for financing. I got the 2012 Camry XLE, the sticker price with dealer add on's etc wa $26,700 and I paid $23672 (that only includes the 2 - $250 rebates. Then the military discount I got it for about $23172. I paid my 3% excise tax and title fee of $58 seperate. The dealer charged me $100 doc prep fee. I had a trade in of $3000. Do your homework! Search the internet from different dealers in your area and out of your area. Once I had all my information and knew what other dealers would do, I went to my local dealer and got a great deal. If you can spend the $2,000 more I would get the XLE model, you get so much more for you money. I think I got a great deal. I did get the fabric protection for peace of mind. In the end I got exactly what I wanted and the car I wanted. I hope I did good. At the time there wasn't any twitter / coupon stuff. I did sign up for the Ipad2 offer that was going on.

Good Luck!
  • alleycat10alleycat10 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    I got this same base SE, in silver color, optioned the same except for body side moldings instead of the dealer-installed option package you cite. My price was $22,193 plus tax, registration and lemon law fee. The power seat option is worth the extra money as the option includes more than just the power mechanism. Your first deal looks about the same as the one I got. I found this model in very short supply in the Atlanta area, particularly in lighter colored cars. The SEs available are mostly either base models with no or few options or are optioned out beyond what I am willing to pay, so went for it at this price. My eighteen year old car was on its last leg, so I needed a replacement, pronto.
  • camryhybrid12camryhybrid12 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add my experience on signing the contract and being offered additional extras.

My location: Central NJ near North Brunswick, NJ

Dealer: DCH Brunswick Toyota

Here are the extras offered and the prices quoted:

My experience at the Finance Manager. The Finance Manager is the person who closes the deal and prepares the paperwork, contract etc. I was paying cash so at least he did not bother to convince me to accept a finance deal. But of course, and this is his job so I understand, he has tried to sell me various extras (dealers do this as it increases their profit but really you need to decide if you need it or not. for now I think not at least for my case). But that was not anything that would bother me.

Just one note: You maybe asked to sign an arbitration agreement and give up the rights for a class law suite or to sue. You do not have to sign such. After signing I asked what if I do not sign this (thinking it is a condition to sell the car which without I cannot buy it because some Toyota mandated need - given the call backs and law suites they had). The answer was that if I do not sign then I do not sign. I wrote an email 2 days latter to the Finance Manager to cross my signature therefore, and copied the General Manager and the General Sales Manager - why do I need give up a right for free I can decide that at the time not ahead of time. Makes sense?

Here are the details:

The Finance Manager, a nice person he is just doing his job of course, tried indeed to sell me a bunch of extras - I have not accepted any of those though and told him I need to find out the info since I was not prepared (although from memory I knew while he presented these that his prices are way higher even though he said he is giving me a special price at 20% off the MSRP for the extended warranty" which is special for friends and family of the General Manager" since I am the GM's referral). These are supposed to be all for the 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE (though during his sells pitch he has used different manual e.g. used a 2010 Camry V6 to show me the maintenance needed and how expensive this will be but I told him the Hybrid for 2012 has been redesigned to have less such cost and its different ... so in short did not take any of such services). Here are the prices he has offered and the extras:

Toyota Extra Care 6 years 125K miles: "special price" $1600 (20% off MSRP for friends and family of the GM :-)
    Toyota Extra Care 5 years 100K miles: "special price" $1150 (20% off MSRP for friends and family of the GM :-)
    Toyota Extra Care list price: $2405

JM&A Hiline Maintenance: 4 years 60K miles $595 (this is to cover hoses and belts - who need it for the redesigned Camry Hybrid... I do not know... :-) but he offered... saying the service agreement does not cover these.. nor does the Extended Warranty above.

Toyota Auto Care: 5 years 75K miles: $995 "special price" (not clear if its 5 years in addition to the 2 years the car comes with or total 5 year, did not ask as was not interested) This includes 5 years of roadside assistance which I already have per special Toyota's VP for buyers of cars before Jan 3rd 2012.

Ding Shield: 5 years no miles limit $299 (vs. MSRP of $499 so he said - they can repair certain dings that are in certain places... ). Pitch was that even one repair of a ding in a Camry they charged $475 or more. Well I told him I do not care about dings.. if I get a few so be it, they will have to deal with them when I trade in the car (he did not like my comment I think... )

Road Hazard Tire & Wheels 5 years: $395 (vs $445 MSRP so he said, as the other warranty does not cover the wheels and tires... but there is a OEM maker warranty that does or my insurance if its an accident... ). I think not needed also.

LOJack - $795. Alarm and GPS/Cell phone based technology to find the car if its stolen My car has already alarm and engine immobilizer, so why have this in addition. And I pay the insurance anyway. He claimed 90% success rate for the police to find the car if stolen.

Secure Etch: $299 this is almost always being "imposed" on buyers these days. It seems to replace the strips that were used to add cost and pad the price so to get the dealers profits higher. Of course I have rejected. You do not need to accept this as basically they etch the VIN on various parts but you are over protected anyway with the car and alarm and insurance. There are kits available at 1/2 price I read that you can do such yourself if you must.

The General Manager has commented on the etching that: "As far as the etch goes the price of $299 is basically to get the $5000 pay out on top of the insurance payout if the vehicle is stolen. This is a high crime area due to the close vicinity of the ports and we do have several payouts per year so I think it’s especially appropriate in this area. " So at least that was not presented as such to me, but even knowing it, its just an add on policy and I will go for such to my insurance. But for some buyers, this maybe useful indeed.

There was some minor pressure to sell above. E.g. he was saying these extras can only be bought at these prices at the same time the car is bought (I told him no I can find alternatives e.g. the GM extended warranty and others I can get latter on - and asked him if he wont agree to sell me such if I come next week... he smiled...). Also I was asked to sign a document I decline to add all the above. I signed asking what is the meaning of such signature since there could be 100s of other things I can add and do not want to. He smiled and said he does not know why a signature is needed. I suggested perhaps as additional psychological pressure to make car buyers think they give up something of an advantage ... he said maybe this is it... and smiled.

Even now I am not sure I got copies of all documents I have signed. It was like a production line, I have signed so many documents but was reassured I will get copies latter. However I think I did not get a copy of all... the Finance Manager was also in a hurry after spending the time to offer me all the extras.... and hence have written an email to ask for a complete copy of everything they have on file for me when I get back to the dealership to get the license plates installed and the extra key and security tag which were missing at the time I picked up the car - but got a phone from the general sales manager she found it just the same day I got the car and she will keep them at her desk so they do not get lost again. I am sure they will provide a complete set of all I have signed when I go there though (General Manager is an excellent person so no worries at all).

So in short, if you buy a car be prepared the Finance manager or a finance person will try to sell you extras but most likely none are needed including the