Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• auttautt Member Posts: 20
    Hey,

I bought a SE with power seats and entune nav 25100 OTD. 23260 before tax, title and fees. Can you share more details? What was the full break down? Was there a trade? Was there a financing deal? What interest rate?

I had a 15000 financing for 2.75 for 5 years. Total cost of financing over 5 years in interest and fees will be 1200.

Thanks and Congrats!!!
  • ali28ali28 Member Posts: 7
    Did you guys get any incentives? And what about convenience package?
    Did you get any incentives? What about convenience package?
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    edited March 2012
    Just bought a new 2012 Camry XLE 4 cyl cosmic grey with grey leather, convenience pkg (BU camera), and entune/nav. Our dealer is one of the new no dickering dealers and while I was skeptical we paid $27,170 incl destination which was a few hundred under both true car and cosumer reports "great prices" vs $29,380 list (the hybrids are not priced so great but we did not want to lose all the trunk space and too long of a payback for a road vehicle not used so much for short trips). Compared to other vehicles we looked at, this Camry had the best pricing for all except for the Kia Optima. I won't list the sales tax and registration since we get ripped off in MN, but there were no dealer prep or any hidden fees to get out the door.

I did debate the extended warranty service contract since I have never done much more than break even on 4 Chrysler/Jeeps contracts even with employee pricing (see below) and Toyota's reputation is so good. I negotiated from the initial $2400 quoted for the 10 year/120k mi full coverage zero deductible down to $1575 which is fully refundable in the first 3/36 and then linear prorated refundable and $50 transferrable. I don't know if it's really employee price but my reference point is paying $1000 for an employee priced 04 Chrysler 300M full coverage (but $100 deductible) contract that only took an existing 7/70 engine/tranny warranty and added full coverage to 7/70. Maybe Chrysler charged more with rumored lower quality but our 300M actually was pretty good overall, only ending its life in a Christmas minor accident that made me question the quality of their front end design!! So far I am amazed how much room the Camry has compared to the big 300M and with almost $4 gas am pleased getting almost 30mpg in town and measured a best case (flat road, no wind or AC) 40mpg this week on a 70mph 40mi freeway drive. We plan to keep this 10 years and use it for 2 person road trips to see family 200mi away and for snowbird winter trips

Note this Camry is our 1st non Jeep/Chrysler in 20 years since my father was a Chrysler retiree and it was so simple in our minivan/Jeep years to get employee pricing on the vehicle and ext service contracts. I still own a 07 Jeep GC for winter snow and boat towing but the new Chrys sedans did not fit the bill: 200 has a smaller trunk, no BU cam or dual temp ... love the new 300 but no RWD for us living on rural back roads in the snow and AWD requies 19" tires and big mpg hit.

Besides Chrysler we did look at Honda Accord, Ford Fusion(I liked, wife did not), and Hyundai Sonata (small back seat). The Subaru Legacy was a very close 2nd to the Camry for what I was looking for but > $1000 off on TCO. I wanted so much to drive the VW Passat diesel but the one with our features was a 4-6 mon order wait; they got a stripped down version in the day after we picked up the Camry. The Kia Optima EX was attractive, just seemed smaller in the back seat and past quality reputation was a concern. Hopefully we'll stay happy with this Camry and I will post comments over time on other forums.
  • hannahdhannahd Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2012
    moon roof, display audio with navi and entune, power seat, carpet/trunk mat, rear bumper applique, cargo net, soft tex seats. I wanted the cosmic grey mica so they got it from indio, but i purchased it in moreno valley. this was before TTL.
  • hannahdhannahd Member Posts: 4
    I had a trade and got exactly what i owed, but it was at the top end of the blue book. We told the dealer we would go to another competing dealer if we did not get what we wanted. I did use the college grad incentive but i did not want the convinence package. We got what we wanted in the color we wanted. Sticker was 26508.
  • physguyphysguy Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I just discovered this forum on a tip from my brother. What a great thread! I'm looking at buying a Camry LE and have two questions:

1. What is this Edmunds $500 rebate I keep seeing? Is it still available? Can someone point me to a link?

2. I'm working with Tustin Toyota and another dealer in the Irvine for Camry LE with power seat. Tustin sales person verbally offered $20500 before tax, lic, etc. Other dealership offered $21500 but had advertised $20388 for base LE the week before. Any of these sound like good prices? Thx.
  • mj78indmj78ind Member Posts: 8
    you might want to check my earlier post - http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef071a2/8932!keywords=allin%3Amsgt- ext%20limit%3A.ef071a2%20mj78ind#MSG8932

I would add $400 pre tax for a power seat to my numbers for a power seat.

Cheers,

Mayank
  • kdnpeterkdnpeter Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I just bought the 2012 camry se I4 on

3/17/2012.

With moonroof, power seat, mats,vehicle shield,window tints. Nothing else further.
    Msrp $26,500

$22,295 + TTL+ doc fee
    22,295+1393+312=24,000

OTD $24,000

The subvention $1000 rebate is already included.

This is the best I can do. I have been to 4 different dealers in Houston and cant even get it to 23,500.

Tell me what you think about that price.
  • dfwdewddfwdewd Member Posts: 14
    There are no links to get to the $500 rebate. However, I saw one the other night which expires 5/1. Just look up some competitor vehicles or even a Camry and pay attention to all banners on the page. It normally pops up when you first surf this site. Either that or try using a different zip code and see what happens. Good luck!
    edited March 2012
    Hi, I am getting ready to purchase a 2012 Camry XLE V6 with 7" HDD Nav w/JBL,Safety Connect,Blind Spot Monitor, carpet mats and tint. Currently a local dealer agreed to sell this car for $31,700 OTD ($1k Toyota finance rebate included). Is this a good deal? Invoice is $31,527 so its about $4,160 off the MSRP$33,694. If I go ahead with this, I'll also be sending in the $500 Edmunds rebate. Thanks!
  • rorschachrorschach Member Posts: 2
    That sounds like a very good deal! I have a friend who got $24000 OTD as well, but his was a 2012 LE :( ...

Can you tell me which dealer in Houston you went to? I wanted to pm you but there was no option.
  • mkdorfmkdorf Member Posts: 10
    Looks like the $500 rebate is only good for non-Hybrid Camry's. I found rebate on one of the pages while looking up the Camry (near the top of the page in a banner)

*Terms and conditions: Offer expires on 5/1/2012. Customer must purchase or lease and take delivery of an eligible 2011 or 2012 Toyota Corolla or Camry (excluding hybrid models) from dealer stock at a Toyota Retailer in the U.S. on or before 5/1/2012. The offer is not valid for any eligible vehicle purchased or leased prior to receiving this certificate. Rebate claims postmarked after 5/1/2012 will not be honored.
  • ahuahu Member Posts: 14
    Please see my previous post, I got Camry SE I4 for $23000 drive out in Houston. If you are interested contact me at ahtexas at gmail.com and I will give you dealer and salesman name.

Good Luck!
  • lovedirtywaterlovedirtywater Member Posts: 2
    Offered in Eastern Mass a Camry LE with power seats and carpets for $20,800 including destination (but plus tax/registration/paperwork). They would not offer the $500 financing rebate I heard about, anyone know anything about that? Thanks.
  • rorschachrorschach Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I sent an email to your ahtexas at gmail.com address.
  • dbabladbabla Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2012
    Hi all

Thank you to all on this forum for ideas and suggestions. Our buying process took about 2 months. We wanted to buy Camry SE V6 with Conv. package + moonroof + cloth seats which has MSRP 29,435. We wanted to get the best price on the car we were looking for. We started our search by contacting Costco Auto buying program. We went and test drove the car and got the costco pricing which was $400 below invoice + tax and lic. Then we requested quotes from dealers on edmunds.com and truecar.com in our area. The quotes from truecar.com dealers were around $800 below invoice + tax and lic. This gave us a good idea of the pricing. We knew that there was some more room for negotiation. Now the next plan was to contact dealers within 100 miles of our zip code. Our goal was to get the lowest written quote and have that beaten. Finally one dealership gave us a quote for $1000 below invoice + tax and lic. We then went to the nearest dealership in our area and offered a price of $1300 below invoice + tax and lic. The dealership agreed on the price and we bought our new car at the best price possible. Our final price with tax and lic was $28,300 OTD. We have $500 edmunds rebate which will bring down our price of the car to $27,800 out-the-door. Sweet Deal! We had arranged our own financing. Dealer's finance and insurance office tried to push us on buying extended warranty and other protection. We declined everything. Finally we bought our 8yrs/125K extended warranty from out of state Molle Toyota dealer in Kansas City for $1350. Hope this experience helps others in negotiating.
  • yuppytrash1yuppytrash1 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased new 12 Camry XLE, without nav, figuring top of the line XLE come xm radio ready, but the touch screen system does not come with satilite capability. Its my fault for not double checking while signing the papers. So now
    I m searching for kits that interface with the touch screen am/fm/cd. Happy with the purchase but very disapointed with the radio situation.
  • camryhybrid12camryhybrid12 Member Posts: 18
    You did very well not to buy the Nav/Entune option (not to mention the more expensive JBL or HDD Nav)! You may like special content only provided by XM Radio, but that you maybe able to find an add on (way cheaper than $1000 extra for the option that includes such). However I am not using XM and wont pay the monthly subscription fee after the 3 month trial ends. Free Pandora gives me more than enough for such. I wont even pay for Entune $5/month after the 3 years as my smartphone has all the applications and more already. So if I could swap and save $1000 I would have done such with you. I have XLE Hybrid.

By the way, the navigation is a joke. If i had to listen to its instructions, I would have gone through way more traffic jammed routes or places that make no sense to get to my destinations. Not to mention it wont allow me to input addresses that exists etc strange faults.

So the best in my view is an XLE plus inconvenience package.
  • jeff_4jeff_4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello naatz1!

I live in MN and and very interested in which dealer gave you this deal. Can you identify them or send me a private message? I am looking to purchase a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, too.

Thanks!
  • lovedirtywaterlovedirtywater Member Posts: 2
    Bought in MA the 2012 LE with power driver seat, carpets (now it seems that both are almost standard on the LE)

Got our choice of all color combos, we chose one not in their stock, very pleasant experience. We had no trade and no rebate qualification.

Including destination: $20,800
    Tax: $1300
    Paperwork: $299
    OTD: $22,499
    financing 2.09% (had to push for that)

Hopefully get the Edmunds $500 rebate on top of that...
  • tj1975tj1975 Member Posts: 1
    I am also just about to purchase a Camry v6, 2012 XLE, but we have not reached a price yet. I'm thinking otd is 31,700 is including tax title and license. There are such tiny differences! The car I'm looking at shows a MSRP of $34,113. I am in the Dallas area. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    What options does the car have and whats the invoice? Mine has MSRP $33,694. Invoice $31,527. I tried several other dealers in the area and OTD $31,700 is as low as I could go. When I showed up to get the car on Friday, it came with extra vehicle shield($379) and pin striping($200) but they did not charge me for that since the price was per-negotiated. Personally I think these two options are there to increase their profits since its obvious that they told me not to worry about it. I would start with at least $1,000 under invoice if you can and pit one dealer against the other and see what happens. Title,license and processing fee should be about $300-$350 range. Tax is 6.25%. Good luck!
  • andresxandresx Member Posts: 2
    For those around Northern Virginia,

I purchased (dealer in-stock vehicle) a camry se + power driver seat + carpet mats + all-weather mats (I like to have both) + cargo net. Price: 21331 (car) + 389 (dealer fee) + taxes (3.2% VA, I think) + tags. OTD: $22470

Purchased at Ourisman Fairfax Toyota. The dealer is ok, the negotiating was relatively easy (I had quotes from other dealers for around the same price). They did push a little hard to get us to purchase (1) the clearcoat they apply to the cars finish (protection package?) and (2) extended warranty. All I did was declined it but they pushed back asking for my reasoning behind it, I didn't want any of them and simply had to make that clear.

With respect to pricing: I found other dealers cheaper in MD (fitzmall comes to mind in Gaithersburg) for about $150 less. However, the local dealer would not meet that quote (maybe I didn't push hard enough). The cheaper dealers were ~1hour away from my house while the fairfax place was ~20min away (the extra $150 was worth to me to save time driving in two cars and kids, no nanny, to pick up the car).

My 0.02....
  • jimmyohjimmyoh Member Posts: 1
    When I looked at the car, I did not find the shift lock button on the transmission.
    just bought 2012 camry SE nav + Con. pack + power sear + moon roof + leather seats + vehicle shield pack + mats + cargo net @ 25750 out of the door. tax was 6.25% let me know what you guys think
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Congrats on Your new car purchase.
    Does the $25750 includes the tax?
    Thank You.
    thanks and yes it does
  • hofflikehofflike Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a fully loaded 2012 SE(convenience package, leather upgrade, entune, floor mats) Was quoted an MSRP of 28,635 and OTD of 30k. Does this sound right? Looking here people seem to be getting way better deals.

Thanks
    Does your price already include the FSH rebate and college grad rebate? What about P2, the vehicle sealant package.?
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    options: convenience package, navigation, and floor mats
    MSRP: $27,955
    invoice: $25,400

Ordered the car for $25,000. Could have bought a car on the lot for less, but nobody has the Sandy Beach color. Quotes from various dealers were all over the place, from $450 below invoice to $1800 above invoice.
  • redheatredheat Member Posts: 1
    For a camry SE-4cyl with convenience package, leather upgrade, navigation/entune and moonroof: price of 27K OTD. That a good deal?
    Do not use OTD numbers because we don't know how much are your tax, registration, and doc fees. A rough guidline is less than 90% of MSRP. I have seen quotes for a bit less than 89% MSRP.
  • ziyuluziyulu Member Posts: 58
    I just got a quote of $19,500 for a Honda Accord LX-P that comes with automatic and alloy wheels. It's hard to justify paying over $2,000 more for a Camry. In order to get alloy wheels on a Camry, you have to move up to SE. Right now, a Honda Accord is a better deal--but maybe that's because it's the last year for that generation.
  • voicemailkingvoicemailking Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2012
    I sold a 2000 Camry LE 6 cylinder with 140,000 for $3000. I also still have a 2005 Honda Accord EXL 6 Cylinder with 127,000 miles. I am keeping the Accord. To replace the Camry i looked for over 2 months at different models of the Accord and Camry. After much back and forth I decided the 2012 Camry SE 4 cylinder
    was a better deal then any of the Accord models. Both cars are great, but the Accord interior was getting outdated and Honda was cheapening more parts of the car then Toyota. This is just my opinion. I have 4000 miles on the Camry since buying Dec. 31, and so far very happy with the ride performance etc.
    Have you compared what you would get between these two models? What can you live or live without? Have you test driven both cars? I test drove the current generation Accord when it came out in 08 but I wasn't impressed by what they had to offer technology wise. Things might have changed since then but the most important thing is I didn't like the car. If all you care about is automatic and alloy wheels and the price. By all means go for it because they are good vehicles too. Good luck in your decision.
  • stevemcmahon40stevemcmahon40 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I bought mine in Nov of 2011. Paid $24,000 after shopping around and negotiating hard. They also gave me $4,000 for my 2001 Grand Am and added a few more bucks on it when doing the financing to get my payment where we agreed. I didn't get the Entune package because I have Spotify on my iPhone which streams well over bluetooth on the car's system. And I have a GPS system already. Got the package that has the netting in the trunk and the cleaning products, some coating they put ( I think it's undercoating), and free regular maintenance for I think 3 years. 1.9 percent financing. Leather seats and 4cyl, alloy wheels. The free apps on the iPhone also work well via bluetooth, and I like that the car has a mixture of Luxury, Sports and Sedan qualities and is virtually the same as one of the Lexus models. Oh, I have lifetime warranty too. I think the dealer said it was supposed to be a lesser warranty but they upped it to a lifetime and included the certificate in my package.

The first place we went to offered me 28k and a little under $1,000 for my Grand Am. We were buying 2 cars at the time, and actually went to that first place to think about getting 2 toyotas, but were so turned off by their unwillingness to deal that our other vehicle ended up being a Kia Forte which we also got good pricing on after hard negotiating. The dealership I had bought my old Kia at was not willing to deal at all, so they lost out on 2 sales and 2 trades. The manager did call me a couple of times, but I told him what we were willing to pay and said I'd only be willing to come back in if they were willing to really talk in my ballpark. They didn't call me back and say that they were, so we went elsewhere. I'm glad we did too. The Kia dealership hooked us up with a profesional tinting company for both cars, even though the toyota had nothing to do with them, and we paid dealer prices (we live in south florida). They also sent a $20 gift card for doing a survey. The toyota dealer sent me a mug and a balloon and had some dinner for new owners which we didn't bother to attend. Seemed too boring. But at first maintenance they have good fresh ground bean coffee and catered sandwiches and wifi. If you're in South Florida I recommend Treasure Coast Toyota of Stuart over Bev Smith simply due to the treatment you get and the prices. And Kia of Vero Beach.
    There isn't much change from a 2008 Accord and a 2012 Accord. The interior looks exactly the same and the only differences on the exterior are the chrome grille and the horizontal light bar at the end. I have test driven both cars and they drive similar.

I'm hoping the price of a Camry will come down in the future. Last year I could get a Camry for under $20,000 with alloy wheels, but this year it's not even possible to come close--even though Toyota says the MSRP on the car is lower than last year. I guess we need to wait for rebates from Toyota.
    Yes, I agree that the Accord is cheapening more parts, but the there's a lot of plastic on the Camry as well. For example, the new Camry has a lot more plastic than my 2006 Camry--I still like it except the brakes are not good and there are no side airbags.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    This may be too (10 days) late, sorry , must have my emails from posts setup wrong. I don't know what the Edmunds rules are but the dealer is in the 5590x zip code if you are still shopping but they have gone from around 34 down to 13 Camrys in stock in just 3 weeks. They have a lot of LEs no SEs and only one 4 cyl XLE (the rest are V6s) although have 5 XLE hybrids listed but only discount them less than half what the gas models are. Since I plan to drive mine 10 years as a road car and then keep it as a 2nd errand car as long as it lasts, the hybrid is not my thing; best of luck finding a deal!
  • jr2890jr2890 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I'm in the Houston area and looking to buy a 2012 Camry SE V6 base model with no options added. According to Edmunds, the MSRP is $27,400 and Invoice is $25,003. So far the lowest initial quote I've received is $25,655. I was wondering if this is a good deal and how low I could expect to get it down to. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    There may be regional differences, but I would say that's about $1000 too high.
    Did you ask the dealer for their invoice? I did some research online and found something interesting: The invoice from multiple websites are about $900 lower than the dealer invoice here in Dallas. You can verify this invoice between dealerships from their exact quotes. Dealers here are advertising $3,500 off MSRP plus $500 Toyota financing rebate discount. I imagine Houston dealers are doing the same. Be prepared to pitch one dealer against another to get the lowest price. You have nothing to lose. Good luck!
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    Hi, I'm in the Delray Beach Area and I bought a Camry V6 SE 2012 with the Convenience Package and Display Audio Navigation and Leather Package and Power tilt moon roof with mats and tinting for $28K out the door. I was very happy. BTW, I have been driving it for about 4 days now and it is absolutely terrific. I had a Camry LE 4 cylinder..and there is no comparison..the V6 is awesome and the SE is so much fun to drive. You will love this car.

Jimmy Drew
  • gnartgnart Member Posts: 36
    I bought my Camry XLE 4-cylinder (Convenience and Leather packages, Wheel locks and carpet/trunk mats - No Entune (save $900), No trade-in and No manufacturer rebate at the time) on 04/01/2012 from 355 Toyota, MD. They are our preferred dealer because they had been providing excellent service on our 2004 Matrix. Based on my shopping around at five other dealers, their price was the lowest.

I made an offer of $26K Out The Door (MD 6% tax, tag, title, delivery -included). The GM said $26.6 was the best that they could do. I walked away. I came back two weeks later and got it for $26.5. In finance, they said the price was $26,480 because of the automated calculation. Because of the electronics in the car, I also got the platinum warranty 7 years, 125K miles for an additional $619.00. The GM had gone home, so the finance guy had to call him at home to get his approval.

This is how I did it. I locate the car I wanted from their web inventory. I requested for an eQuote. I subtract another $500 from their best ePrice. I went to the dealer, bypassed the salesman (I just said that I had a salesman) and went directly to the GM. I told him the stock number and negotiate. I told him that I will send buyers to keep him busy (lol). So you can say that professor Trang send you (http://academic.pgcc.edu/~tnguyen), so you want the best price. Good luck, just don't tell him how you calculated the price.

Needs more info, email me nguyentd@pgcc.edu or tdn4it@hotmail.com...
  • mr4242usmr4242us Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Houston, TX.

What is a good price? Looks like I'm being offered 30,500 plus title/taxes.

Thanks,
    I paid about $29,500 plus TT&L. MSRP $33,694. V6 XLE with HDD Nav w/JBL, Blind Spot Monitor, Safety Connect, carpet mats and tint. When I got the car, it came with vehicle shield package but they did not charge me since the price was already agreed beforehand so I would look for one without it. I am in Dallas area. I think you should shoot for $29,700 range or less. Title and fees should be about $300-$350. Good luck!
  • myrandamyranda Member Posts: 1
    Jim,
    That seems like a great deal. Do you mind sharing the name of the dealership. I want the same options as you. Here in San Angelo, Texas, my husband got a price of 29k plus ttl for the same car as yours. I am the negotiator, I might have to take a trip to FL to get what I want.
    Thanks for any info!
    Based on my numerous times calculating the cost of ownership between a hybrid and a gas car model, it costs more to own a hybrid based on the following parameters. My latest was on a Camry XLE, 12000 miles year driving, $5.00 gas, battery replace $3000 (more over time), mixed city-hwy driving (average), car insurance cost, the cost difference between models.
    I provided my cost for buyers to use as basis of negotation. I found 355 Toyota in MD to have the best price when I shopped locally. They were $1400 lower than CarMax (lol)...

Maryland tax is 6%. What is the current car sales tax for Houston? Maryland tag and title registration is $389.00. What is the current cost for Houston? Backing out my state tax and Title&Tax cost will give you the base. You should check out to see if Houston dealer's cost is higher than Maryland as there may be regional cost. The holdback from Toyota is only 2% but I track and buy as soon as the car is on the dealer's lot because they get the full holdback (the longer the car sit, the less they will get)....

Depending on the options - $30,500 plus title and taxes, in my opinion seems too high... Get a quote from CarMax to see what you get.

Good luck with your purchase.