Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wcoastjoshwcoastjosh Member Posts: 1
    Just got a base XLE (no leather) for $21k at Manhattan Beach Toyota. Found it in a print ad in the LA Times (they had two at that price), they tried to get me to buy a bunch of overpriced add-ons, but otherwise, they were nice. They had Camry SE's for $19,999 at the end of March, still kicking myself for not jumping on that. I HIGHLY recommend checking the Friday LA Times print ads, between Manhattan Beach Toyota and DCH Toyota, I don't think you can get a better deal. They compete on loss leaders.
  • hanzo1hanzo1 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my 2012 Camry SE 4cy. in Magnetic Gray Metallic on Sunday here in Northern Ca., no options, standard SE features were plenty enough for me. I used the Costco Program and the dealership honored the price 21,889, otd 24,152 , taxes are 8.75 . They also honored the Toyota offer of 2.9 for 60 months but gave me 2.59 because " we like your credit score". I will mail off my Toyota rebate today and cross my fingers it comes.

The initial salesman was fine but the Finance guy was full of shananigans. He tried to switch the price, caught him on that. Then I caught one fee of 299, whats that? Thats a fee for the door code in case your doors get stolen" , caught that. I put the car on my existing insurance policy before I went to buy and got proof via the internet, so was able to give them proof of insurance and I did not buy a extended warranty. Cutting out all the ways a dealership can hook with fees that are profit for them seems the smart move.The Finance guy was mad with me because " all I wanted was the car". True that.
  • nflguynflguy Member Posts: 90
    I have narrowed my search to the 4 cylinder XLE with Convenience Package, Navigation(not premium), Leather upgrade with power and heat for front seats, floor mats and window tint.

The MSRP for this has been close to $30,000

The best quote so far has been $28,400 out the door from a dealer in the Dallas fort worth area.
  • wtdswtds Member Posts: 9
    Let us know if you find a better deal. I'm researching several models and an xle with those precise features is on my short list.

Also, to be clear, when you say "out the door" do you mean sales price or are you also including TTL? I assume the former but want to be sure.
  • jay999jay999 Member Posts: 7
    nflguy.. is this before TTL and also would you mind sharing the dealer info? please
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to anyone between the age of 20 and 30 who needed financial help from a parent to buy a new car. If you fit this description – or if you are a parent who has helped a 20-something son or daughter buy a new car - and you’d like to share your story, please send your daytime contact information to PR@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. Pacific/6 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, May 3, 2012.
    That is after tax. It's the out the door price.I got this quote from two dealers. One is Rockwall Toyota (east of dallas) and the other at Grapevine Toyota.

I was ready to put a deposit down when it was pointed out to me (by a friend) that apparently there are two different leather options.

The Premium leather upgrade option is added by the distributor.

The Leather package added by the manufacturer includes leather trim for the doors and center console.

This car is for my wife so i need her to see the difference between the two types prior to sealing the deal.
    What kind of "out the door" prices have you been getting for an XLE with these features? Better then $28,400 out the door?
    So the dealers offering me $28,400 out the door have to get the car from other dealers or the distributor for this area. It could take a few weeks.

Another dealer emailed me tonight and said he just got a Camry that fits my needs but it doesn't have leather. He said he can add heated leather in tri color or solid color but the heat controls will be on the side of the seat instead of the console.

Anyone know if there is a major difference between factory leather for xle, leather added by the distributor, and leather added by dealer. Also, is it normal for heat controls on the xle to be on the side of the seat?
    Just starting looking and haven't gotten any firm quotes yet. I'm still trying to get an idea about pricing.

However, based on what I've seen a 4-cyl XLE with the convenience, moonroof, nav and leather for $26,700 pre-tax seems like a great price. That's a good bit lower than all the "pricing estimates" I've seen online.

I don't know enough about the difference in the leather packages to make a difference. I'd tend to think a factory installed leather package would be superior to a dealer installed, but I have no experience to back that up.
    I am pretty close to pulling the plug on an SE with Convenience package+ Moon roof + nav price is $24600 before TTL
    That also seems like a pretty good price. I would also be looking to add leather to a 4-cly SE with those features so that would bump it up closer to $26,000 pre-TTL. Which I still think is a good price.

Based on my research (again I haven't shopped for quotes) that seems like a pretty good price.
  • truckie4lifetruckie4life Member Posts: 56
    I got $27,750 OTD (and then the Edmunds rebate so $27,000) on a '12 SE-V6...posted my deal a few pages back. It's loaded with the convenience package, tinted windows, pretty much everything but all leather seats, it has the leather trimmed seats.
    which dealership?
    My credit Union approved me for a 5 yr loan up to $38,000 for 2.75% rate or 2.45% for 36 months. I'm gonna be financing $20,000 for the camry (will put money down so the loan is only 20k but want a 5 yr loan just incase im unable to pay it off early as planned.

My dealer is telling me they will give me a $500 rebate if I finance with them for 2.9%. Which according to the bankrate auto loan calculator on a 5yr loan for $20k would only cost me $1 dollar more per month then what my own bank will charge.

Does Toyota do anything shady with financing such as charging all the interest up front so your basically still paying all of the interest even if you pay the car off early? I'm trying to decide if my bank rate is close enough to the Toyota rate that it'd woprth going with Toyota financing for the $500 rebate.
  • bttrthngr8bttrthngr8 Member Posts: 7
    Congratulations!
    Can someone please explain to me what the Vehicle Shield Package is? Is that a bunch of cleaners the dealer gives you or is it something the dealer does to the car for you.

If im getting leather interior is it still needed?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Don't get the extras - all they do is pad the dealer's pocket. Buy the car and only pay for what is on the sticker from the Kentucky (or Indiana) factory. NO dealer add-ons, expecially "vehicle shield", rust proofing, scotch guard, extended warranty, etc.
    edited May 2012
    nflguy.. Toyota of Plano. I went ahead and bought the car
    Also 24,600 is before the 750 edmunds rebate. Got to send it in over the weekend.
    I decided that i want factory added leather instead of port/distributor added leather.
    Good to know. Is there a significant difference in either look or quality?

Also what are the packages called? Ive seen the "leather package" and an "upgraded leather" package or something like that. What is what? I find this confusing.
    Leather package is installed at the factory and includes leather trim on the doors and middle storage department thing.

Premium leather upgrade package is installed by the distributor or the dealer and doesn't include leather trim on doors, middle console, or pockets on the back of the seats.
  • antonio27antonio27 Member Posts: 13
    Try Fitzmall.com. I see a XLE 4 cylinder with leather and Nav for $26K Sticker $30k. I bought a Santa Fe from them and had it shipped it to me in South Florida. Shipping was $500. http://www.fitzmall.com/default.asp
  • adamkensingtonadamkensington Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Ok, I've read through numerous pages of this thread and don't quite understand how some of you are getting under invoice!?!

I'm in the market for a Camry Hybrid XLE (located in Southern Cali), here is the best offer I have received...

Magnetic Gray
    Silver interior
    MSRP: $27,400

Options/MSRP
    Carpet/Trunk Mat set - $225
    Convenience Package - $695
    Rear Bumper Applique - $69
    Display Audio Nav - $1050
    Cargo Net - $49
    Leather Package - $1160
    Moonroof - $915
    TOTAL OPTIONS MSRP: $4163

CAR MSRP: $27,400
    OPTIONS MSRP: $4163
    DESTINATION: $760
    GRAND TOTAL MSRP: $32,243

Dealer invoice price offered to me = $30,079

I am not trading in a car. Dealer knows I already have external financing set up. Dealer knows I am not tolerant of BS doc fees or hidden dealer advertising costs, etc...

My OTD price (TTL included) is $32,800 which I feel is a great deal considering there is a holdback of $550 on this car (no other factory to dealer incentives from my research) BUT....
    the confusing part is HOW THE HECK ARE SOME OF YOU GETTING UNDER INVOICE!?!?! SOME OF YOU ARE REPORTING $1000-1500 under invoice!?!? From my understanding, the dealer is only making $550 (holdback) on a no-BS/straightforward invoice sale price.

Thanks.
  • cjl2cjl2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,

I have negotiated with a dealer on a Camry SE model with power seat, moonroof, Entune system, MRSP is $26,390. The price I got from the dealer is $22,175 including freight. Is this a good deal?
  • jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    I live in Florida so Southeast Toyota Distributor is in play here. I had my own financing so the dealer saw it as a cash deal:

XLE base car, convenience package, and floormats 27,059 MSRP.
    24,359 sale price + 699 dealer fee +1487 tax, $79 tag and title = $26,624 Out The Door.
    Yes, dealers are SE heavy right now...
  • bttrthngr8bttrthngr8 Member Posts: 7
    We did pretty good on our SE, not sure about the hybrid, but you may want to consider getting Internet quotes across the state. That's what we did. Best quote was from Southern Ca, but ended up getting the car from a dealer closer to us.
  • gnartgnart Member Posts: 36
    Only the dealers and manufacturers know what the true invoice price. That said, dealers get incentive bonus from sale volumes (ascending return on the service on cars sold through the dealership), financing kick-back if you finance through the dealer (Banks or Toyota). Compare "Internet" price from small dealer verses large (volume) dealers, you will notice that the price is less from large volume dealers. They also make money selling extended warranty and other service. Example: I paid less than $650 for 6/125000 platinum warranty for my XLE, while others paid more. Someone here (or at another site, I can't remember atop of my head) posted that they paid almost $1400 for 7/125000.
  • adamkensingtonadamkensington Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the response. That makes perfect sense, there has to be some sort of incentive for volume. Just to update.. I am going through with the deal, hybrids are hot in Southern Cali right now. I tried calling around to get under invoice (while telling them I already had a deal at invoice), every dealer I spoke to told me take the offer i already had b/c they could not even match it.

Great price on the warranty btw!
    Let me tell the forum a little game a dealer actually played with my deal. I had a low mileage trade and I was enjoyably haggling with the sales manager to create an out the door price. We succeeded and the deal was executed and I have a new Camry. At the closing in the business office, the numbers had been manipulated higher by over $1000 for both the new car and traded car but the out the door price was still the same.

This issue is applicable to the traded car that is for sale on the lot. Obviously the dealer is trying to make a profit and I hope he does. But here is the rub, he could show a potential buyer, in writing, what “he has in it” monetarily but that price is incorrect; he built himself a $1000 cushion with the sale price of the traded car by possibly showing a settlement sheet on the deal when the car was traded. The buyer would have no way to know what I paid for the Camry.

In other words, to keep it simple for illustration purposes: Camry 24,000 – trade 12,000 = $12,000 out the door. Now to inflate the paperwork like the dealer did: Camry 25,000 – trade 13,000 = 12,000 out the door. On the trade, the dealer tells the buyer he has 13,000 in it (and could show it) when he actually has 12,000 giving himself an extra $1000 in profit on the trade.

This is just another example of you never really know invoices, prices paid, etc.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    edited May 2012
    I have never had a dealer show me what he paid for on a trade-in.
    First, I would not blindly believe any numbers shown on it.
    Second, even if they were true, it doesn't matter. Market value of a used car is not any way based on that. It is based on market demand in that area at that time, period.
    If you had a used car valued at $5K and you had a $7K loan on it, you can't sell it for $7K just because that's what you need to pay off the loan. Same applies to dealers. They have appraisers on staff and are not going to overpay on a trade-in. That's their job.
    Don't worry about the poor dealers stuck with cars they paid too much for on a trade. If paperwork looks like they did, then it was manipulated or fake.
  • schewmischewmi Member Posts: 10
    Best OTD offer: 25,800 (additionally I am eligible for $1000 student rebate)

Miles: Test drove the same car, had 4 miles + 8 miles of test drive =12 miles.

Equipments on Base Camry XLE:
    1. Convenience Package (CQ)
    2. Leather Package (LA-1)
    3. Navigation Display (EX)

Exterior Color: silver Interior: Ash

Suggestions needed:
    1. Is toyota financing a good option to take. I need to go with it if I take the grad rebate.
    Alternatively dealer suggests to re-finance after a month inorder to take the advantage of grad rebate.
    Is there any hidden costs I should consider. One i see is processing fee while re-financing.
    Does toyota asks you to pay all the interest before we re-finance.

2. Anything I should look for that the dealer can misrepresent or remove any equipment that I cannot figure out.
  • dougtxdougtx Member Posts: 1
    When you say Entune on your SE price, does that include the Navigation? I see no option just for Entune.

Also what part of the country are you in ?

Thanks

I am looking at a 2012 SE 4cyl
    Navigation with Entune
    Power Drivers Seat
    Floor Mats
    Best Price today in Dallas (so far) is $23,254 + TTL
  • cjl2cjl2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it has navigation on it.
    Finally bought my Camry today. On the phone I was quoted $28,700 out the door. When I arrived someone else helped me (my contact was in a meeting) and my out the door price was $28,160.

4 cylinder XLE

Convenience Package

Navigation and Entune

Leather Package (installed at factory) with power and heat for both front seats

Window Tint

floor mats

spoiler

MSRP with options: $30,200

Out the door price: $28,167
    I was disappointed with the window tint on the front windows (they seemed to have barely any tint on them compared to the back windows.. The dealer said it was the darkest allowed by texas law but seemed very light to me. I bought a car in Texas 5 yrs ago that has much darker window tint then our new camry. The dealer claimed new cars can't have tint as dark as some of the older models. I'm not sure if that's true or not but my wife was okay with as-is so I didn't fight em on it.
    So about 26500 pre-tax? That seems like a pretty good price. Dealer? I'm also in Dallas.

Thanks!
    here are the exact numbers on my purchase agreement:

Cash price of Vehicle: $ 30,168

Dealer Discount : - $3,482.48

Selling price of Vehicle: $26,685.52

Rebate for financing with Toyota (2.9%): -$500

Total sales price after financing rebate: $ 26,185.52

Plus the TTL and other fees as detailed below

sales tax: $ 1636.60

Dealer Inventory tax: $50.17

Document Feee: $150

Full service deputy fee: $5

Registration fee: $57.75

Title fee: $33

County road and bride fee: $10

Inspection fee: $39.75

So TTL = $1982.27 + sales price of $26,185.52 = $28,167.79 out the door
    I also applied for the edmunds rebate two weeks ago and will be completeting that and send in for the $750 rebate.

I declined all of the additional warranties they offered(Execu-care and Zaktek Ultimate). The part that I didn't like was the finance person would only talk about the cost of the extended warranties in terms of what our monthly payments would be if we bought the car with those added warranties. Instead of just telling me what the bottom line cost of the extended warranty is. She claimed the system only provided a monthly cost including the car purchase. I laughed and turned it down.

I might be interested in an extended warranty but I always assume such warranties offered by dealers are ripoffs.
    Texas Toyota of Grapevine. Did all my negotiation via email.

This is probably the same with most dealers but I would not recommend trading in your car at the dealership unless you have already taken it to Carmax to see what they will give you.

Carmax offered me $3,200 for my car. This dealer offered $1,000 so i declined.
  • oz_22151oz_22151 Member Posts: 7
    @NFLGUY, congrats!

But please clarify, so what you bought is the gas version of the Camry - 4 cylinder XLE right ?

Another word, NOT a Hybrid version, right ?

Thx.
    You are correct. I did NOT buy a Hybrid.
  • tjackson12336tjackson12336 Member Posts: 4
    Can you share what dealer(and city) you purchased the extended warranty from?
  • g_ncg_nc Member Posts: 2
    I just completed a purchase for 2012 Camry SE with the following:

Convenience pkg
    Entune with Navigation
    Leather pkg
    moonroof pkg
    carpet floor mats
    All State window tint

MSRP: 29188.00

OTD price: 26,200 before Edmunds $750 mail in rebate

Total w/ rebate: 25,450.00

24,730.10 before tax/tags/title

Did I get a good deal?
    Is the Toyota extended warranty worth it? If so, whats a good price?
  • oz_22151oz_22151 Member Posts: 7
    I did not get extended warranty but got maintenance care for year 3, 4 and 5 for $825.
  • cc62966cc62966 Member Posts: 30
    I'd like to know this too! On the fence about getting the 7 yr/100K extended warranty. Anyone with an opinion on this?
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    You can buy extended warranty from online dealers for a better price

Google "midwest superstore toyota extended warranty" for the warranty manager's contact info (lot of people buy it from there)

Google "toyota of danville extended warranty" (most people from SiennaChat buy it from there)

Price it out and see if you want to buy it or not
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Most people and CR will tell you extended warranties are not worth it. Just save the $$ in case something does go wrong. Chances are, you will still have the $ (or most of it) after the warranty would be finished.