Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• So i just got a 2005 rsx type s and i love it. i have put about 3000 miles on it already and i've had a clicking i've noticed get louder and louder as i turn both left and right stopped or in motion. So about a month ago i took it in and they told me that the shocks are rubbing against the springs when i turn so it's chunking out my springs. they told me to drive it like that until they get the parts. which they didn't tell me they had to get from japan. so i drove it for about a week and it just got worse and worse so i got a rental car. and they said that it was only the second one in new mexico to have this problem. won't be ready for a couple weeks. Has anyone had this problem. And what the hell is up with not having the parts in the us??? it just bugs me new $24,000 car and has manufacturing problems.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    that's weird. First I've ever heard of a problem like that, and it must be pretty rare for them to have to get the parts from Japan. Of course, they could be telling you a little white lie on that count.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• thats what i've been thinking but at least i don't have to pay for anything.
  • 10a10a Posts: 6
    So I went to the dealer to have my car checked as I got my oil changed. They first heard the "click" sound coming from the shift box area when the car comes to a stop from first gear. They replaced the shift assembly. I went to pick up my car 2 days ago and test drove it. I still get that "click" sound from the same area, except the sound's a little softer even though it's still there. Any of you have that problem? If you drive an RSX 2005 (not type-S), if you put your hand on the shift handle, drive and then brake and stop, does your shift handle "click" and shift a little? That's what my car does, and Acura says this is normal with all RSXs. I'm going to talk to the service manager today and try to get this resolved, but if anyone knows about this problem, or if you drive an RSX and don't have this problem, let me know.
  • vickatvickat Posts: 43
    Gents,
    I'm driving my RSX'05 for 56K, mostly blissful, miles by now. Sunroof started to show some hesitation when being retracted all the way back. Dry Teflon lubricant doesn't help anymore. Does anybody know what kind of lube should be used on sunroof guides?
    Thanks, Victor
  • sharon30sharon30 Posts: 11
    I bought my 05 RSX at the end of March and I'm bringing it back to the dealer for the 5th time now for the same problem which can't seem to be fixed. At about 1000 miles, I started to hear this thumping noise under the front end. It would happen sometimes when I was putting the car into gear and turning the wheel--usually if I was parking into a space. The dealer told me there was a problem with a spring in the strut assembly and they fixed it. The noise returned after a day. In trying to recreate situations when the noise happened, I discovered that the popping/thumping noise occurred when I was steering. If I put the car in neutral and then moved the steering wheel back and forth, the pop would occur in either direction. The dealer said their was a problem with the macpherson belt. The "fixed" it. After a couple weeks, the noise returned, but was only happening under the passenger side. The dealer had my car for about 2 weeks and said it was the strut--but it had something to do with being attached to the body of the car. They once again fixed it, but after a day the noise returned. It is now more frequent and louder than before. It is almost like a rumbling noise under the car--definately happens when I turn to the right sharply. It will also thump a couple times under the passenger side when I'm putting it into first going straight and sometimes when I come to a stop. I'm getting really annoyed and frustrated---I wouldn't be okay with any problem on a brand new car, but with this they just can't seem to fix it. Does anyone know what is going on???
  • I have an 02' rsx type-s and I luv it no problems or issues until now I also recieved free oil changes for life at dealer so no complaints here my glovebox just recently while driving at night the light flickers on and off when turning or on bumps I can tell the glove box is loose and now light stays on once headlihts are turned on at night my question is will the dealer fix this and do u think it is still under warranty I only have 23,000 miles on it
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    Your car sounds posessed. Enact the lemon law on it if you can, and get a new one. Sounds like you bit a bad apple.

I have 61000 on mine with very little problems. And if the dealer can't figure it out it must be doozy!
    my 2004 doesn't do that, although I am not sure from the description that it is a problem. Do you have hard or sticky shifting? The transmission will naturally move a little as the car moves and stops, and if you are resting your hand on the shifter (which you really should not do by the way - it wears out the pilot bearing) you will feel that movement going on.

sharon: now that you mention it, I do get a slight thump from my P/S pump on the first steering action I take in the morning after the car has been parked overnight. That is the only time during the day that it does it - a slight thump as it gets going when I steer backwards out of my parking spot. I have not worried about it, although thinking about it now, I suppose it might be a problem. If yours does it all the time, then that is totally different, and I am very surprised the dealer is unable to fix a verifiable and repeatable problem. Perhaps a trip to a different dealer (with all repair invoices in hand) is in order?

wizard: if something is broken or not working to spec, the dealer will fix it under warranty, yes. Is your car still under warranty? The warranty lasts four years from the first in-service date for your car. I would think you must be under warranty for at least a few more months, possibly up to one more year or so.

• i'm just curious to how long it took to get your parts. I'm having the exact same problem and they told me about a month a month ago and now they are telling me another month. and from the problem you are having it seems like it's not going to fix it. if that is the case they need to give you a new car thats just not right to pay that much for a car and have a problem with the suspension. i've been getting pretty annoyed with the dealership and they aren't doing anything to fix this problem just telling me its on backorder and they can't do anything until they release the part. its total BS!!! I refuse top drive it like that so i left it there and they gave me a rental. but still that isn't enough.
    Thank you for responding. This whole thing has been driving me insane. As far as the parts---the second time I brought it in when they replaced a spring it was only a day. The second time when they did something with the macpherson belt it was about 2 days. Wherever they were coming from they had them overnighted. Although I appreciate their efforts to minimize my inconvenience and frustration, I too think that the whole thing just isn't right. I wrote a letter to my sales guy last night expressing my frustration and demanding that the problem be fixed once and for all when I bring it in on Thursday, or to have the car replaced. I wasn't even sure if that was an option or if dealers do that. I would hope they would consider it because this is the second car I've bought from them and I've referred many people.....All in all, I just don't have a lot of confidence in this car and I'm wondering what is going to break next. So, everything I'm describing is the suspension? Sorry to sound so ignorant, I just have no knowledge in this area. Regarding your situation, that does sound like total BS. I have heard of parts being ordered from Japan, but a month is a little ridiculous. So, your RSX was doing that same thumping noise?
  • so yes my car was doing that annoying thumping or clicking i called it. but i just talked to the dealer and they all the sudden found a strut assembly. i got angry at them and the next thing you know they said that they got a release date. so i will get my car back and hopefully i don't have the same problem that you had. i hope mine is fixed for good. what all did they fix on your car?
    So I just picked my car up from the dealership for the 5th time. Do I dare say the problem has finally been fixed!?!? I guess only time will tell now. They ended up replacing the right strut assembly. The left was replaced the second time I brought it in. Why they didn't do that on times 3 and 4, I don't know. Just so you know, I brought the car in at 8 this morning and everything was done by 4. I'm not sure what type of nonsense is going on within your dealership. They should be able to order and replace part within 24 hours (assuming they need to order it) If you have not already, you may want to consider doing what I did this week---sent a letter documenting my experience, stating my frustration, and demanding that the car be fixed once or for all or the car be replaced to avoid possible arbitration. I sent to Acura client services in Ca and copied my whole dealership on it. Needless to say, I got an apology and follow up call from the owner of my dealership this afternoon and free servicing through 30k miles. I'm not cheering yet, but hoping that this is fixed, finally. I hope yours get fixed soon. It's unnacceptable. I took the advice I got from people here and checked out the lemon laws for my state. If the problem comes back, I should be able to enact it. Good luck to you and thank you for your help!
  • wheelmanwheelman Posts: 52
    Galacto, cold engines idle at higher rpms until the proper operating temperature has been reached. The onboard computers within the fuel system monitor the engine temperature and adjust the fuel flow and spark accordingly.

The Wheelman
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    you may want to consider doing what I did this week---sent a letter documenting my experience, stating my frustration, and demanding that the car be fixed once or for all or the car be replaced to avoid possible arbitration. I sent to Acura client services in Ca and copied my whole dealership on it. Needless to say, I got an apology and follow up call from the owner of my dealership this afternoon and free servicing through 30k miles.

Well executed!

It sounds like you have a poor dealer in your area. You may want to try another dealer for your next service (if you have that option)

Good luck
  • bobbidbobbid Posts: 24
    Just recently I noticed this clunking noise from my suspension. It's more noticeable when I parked the car and back up and go forward after back up. Right now I'm still in the process of fixing my rocking back and forth driver seat back rest :( . yes nippononly, i mentioned to check the left front seat slider assemblyn but not sure if they listen to me (female telling them what to check, not sure about it) i'm schedule to bring my car today to the dealer to fix the driver seat problem (hopefully), and i'm hoping that they can fix my suspension problem at same time. this is very frustrating for a brand new car.
    when you back up and then go forward and hit the brakes, they will clunk, which is normal. That isn't what you are talking about, is it? They may also clunk the first time you hit them going backwards. Just once in each direction is all that is normal.

I really hope they fix your seat - mine remains rock-solid after a couple of weeks. Tell those nincompoops to replace the seat sliders! :mad:

• li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    DId you really say "nincompoops"? :=)

I have to say that I've been very happy with my '02 RSX-S. No problems at all, except for some slight notchiness in 3rd. I still plan to bring it in to have it checked, but it's not much of a problem and so I haven't been that motivated. Got to do it before the warranty runs out. I have until Sep '06 or another 14k miles, whichever comes first.
  • Hey Sharon, can you give me the Acura service address in Ca? It might come in handy cause I think I'm having the same problem. Thanks.
    what, you don't like the word nincompoops? :-P

the noise is when i back up or go forward and turn. and i try putting the car in neutral and turn the steering wheel left and right and i hear it pop. this is my first automatic car so i'm not familiar what's normal and what's not. my car is in the shop right now for driver seat problem, (also mention the clunkin noise). my loaner car (tsx) does not pop/clunk at all. :confuse:
    hmmm, well that's just a bit too difficult to diagnose remotely, but I hope the dealer gets it all this time! It sounds like the suspension is a bit loose - mine was too until they serviced the car. At my dealer, retorquing the suspension mounts was SOP for the service, which made this little clunking I had before (on speed bumps and the like) go away.

what you are describing is exactly what happened with my car. I think the problem has finally been fixed as I have not heard the noise now for about a week. Granted, I'm just a girl that knows absolutely nothing about cars, but if I can help prevent you from going through what I did.... After 5 visits to the dealership, they ended up replacing the left and right strut assembly and they did something with the macpherson built. During visit #2, they tried to tell me that this clunking noise was normal because they heard reports of the RSX doing it. I'm sorry, but if thumping is normal because other cars are doing it, then it's a defect that needs to be replaced. You don't pay that kind of money for a car to hear clicking, popping, thumping, whatever. I can locate my service invoices and tell you exactly what they did if that would be helpful.
    from the Acura website:
    BY PHONE
    Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238
    BY FAX
    (310) 783-3535
    BY MAIL
    Acura Client Services
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    that's my problem right now, i tried to tell them what nippononly told me about the slider of my driver side seat and they just ingnore me because i'm a female, do not know anything about cars. about the clunking/popping noise, i would appreciate it if you could tell me what they did to your car so i can suggest to them to check it. i'm tried driving 60miles (one way) and when i pick it up its still the same, not fix. :mad:
    Hey bobbid, I'm hoping your car is quiet now as you mentioned it was in the shop. If not, here's the info from my service invoices (i'm copying the info exactly as it appears on the invoice--hope it makes sense to either you or them):
    visit 1: problem couldn't be duplicated
    visit 2: Replace R/F strut assembly. Repair popping noise from the suspension-bearing, FR.
    visit 3: Replace L/F assembly. S/ABS Assembly left, front. This was the visit they mentioned the macpherson belt, but there is no mention of it on the invoice...
    visit 4: wheel alignment, front and rear
    visit 5: Pin, Cotter. S/ABS assembly, right front

I've put on over 1000 miles since they last fixed it and everything has been fine.

Best of luck to you!
  • rsx206rsx206 Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    This is my first time in this forum. I have a 2002 RSX(manual) and it's giving me a headache. This problem going on for the last month. Sometimes when i get to a red light and about to stop, so i shift into neutral and let the car roll and suddenly my engine die and the battery light and oil light went on. I noticed that the RPM dropped extremely low to .5 before the engine shut off. I have to restart the engine. I brought it to the dealer for 4 times and they adjusted the valves and it was fine for maybe a week and then it happens again. The RPM is not stable.This doesn't happen all the times but mostly in the morning, i do warm up my car everytime before i take off. I don't know what is going on. CAn anyone help me?
    extremely surprised if that were related to valve adjustment. Sounds like a sensor/engine management problem to me.

I did not pick up my car last week cause I was out of town. I talked to the service guy about the popping/clunking noise and he told its normal, he said that the sound is normal, that's the sound when the car shift from different gear. I don't believe him because the popping/clunking noise is not coming from the trasmission, its coming from the passenger side. i guess i just need to wait until the clunking gets super loud. thanks for the info. i will save it and tell them about it.
  • dc05dc05 Posts: 1
    My 05 type s does exactly the same thing. I thougth i was the only one until i came onto this website. My car is in the shop right now for the 7th TIME!!. They try to tell me that they have fixed it but every 600-1500 miles it would come back. I have extensive knowledge of cars, but this one blows me away to c it re-accur so many times. Here is a list of what they replaced: The dealer has replace my steering box, steering column, tied rods, left and right lower control arms including extra greasing of the control arm knucles. They have replaced both struts, shocks, and tie rods. Sure it went away, only for so long until it was there again. They connected a microphone to the front suspension but still could not in pin point where it is coming from. I am now waiting to bring this crap to a stop, hopefully, by addressing it to their general sales mgr when he comes back in. I've had the car for only 4 months!! Anyone with more info....?