Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sharon30sharon30 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Nippononly
    Thank you for your response. I feel better knowing that this is normal. But, after a couple more weeks of driving, I just want to check in to make sure this is still normal. The noise is actually now more like a loud click when I first brake. And, it almost always happens after it's been sitting for a couple hours. I do live in the northeast and it's been either humid or raining all summer. It's pretty loud and I can feel it underneath as well. I guess I'm just concerned because I never had this with my Integra. And, no one else that I know seems to have this going on with their cars. Do you know if it's an Acura thing, or just with newer cars? With all the issues I've had with this car, I'm just nervous that my brakes are going to go....
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    any car with disc brakes will do this - it is perfectly normal. As for others noticing it, well, most cars are built with more insulation from the road both in terms of sound and also feel through the steering wheel, so it would be less noticeable in other cars, particularly non-sporty ones. The RSX also has hard brakes compared to most cars - I have noticed that. And it certainly has harder brakes than the old Integra. Which is another reason that when the pads scrub the rust off the rotors, it would be more noticeable to the driver in this model than in others.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• henrypeckhenrypeck Member Posts: 3
    All four rims on my 2003 RSX recently became corroded from an unknown cause. While in for routine maintenance at Acura of Milford, I mentioned this to the service writer. He said that some rims had improperly applied clearcoat. The next week, they replaced all four rims under warranty.
  • python01python01 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me with changing my Acura RSX from miles to kilometers? I bought the complete dashboard instrument panel but I have read somwhere that I would also need the sending unit to go with the kilometers, which is quite pricey. I am sure it is just software change inside the box itself which but I don't know exactly which bit of software to change or where to find the proper information. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Walter.
  • python01python01 Member Posts: 2
    I have Acura RSX type S which had air bags deployed in an accident. I would like to find out what has to be reprogrammed in order for the "Air bag warning light" to go off and what equipment can be used for it. Thanks for your help,
    Walter.
  • feedbackfeedback Member Posts: 3
    I have exactly the same problem on 06 RSX which appeared after 30 miles on the car. When the selling dealer told me that I just imagine things, I took it to another Acura dealer in town and they told me that there is a transmission problem and promise to fix it. They did not say what that problem is though. :lemon:
  • physastphysast Member Posts: 8
    My dealer replaced my transmission and this has seemed to fix the problem. I still hear it every once in awhile but im not sure if it's just me being parinoid or what.. Tell your dealer to call acura and they should tell them to replace the transmission or mic the gears.

Let me know what they do and what happens...

charlie
  • physastphysast Member Posts: 8
    Ok well my car is still making the same noise when turning left at low speeds and again I got the clunking that is bad enough to pull off the road because it feels like the wheel is going to fall off.. I am really getting sick of this my car only has 500miles on it most of which have been used to drive to the dealer and bac :mad: k.

I almost want to just trade my car in and get a toyota, but with the problems it's having I wouldn't get what it SHOULD be worth...... :lemon: :lemon:

Charlie
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    I know how you feel and I'm sorry to hear that. I bought a 2005 RSX Type S about 4 weeks ago (just before the 06 models hit the dealers) and so far I'm not having any problems at all. You mentioned the clicking only happens when you turn left at low speeds right? It may not be the transmission. It could be something else like the steering box or the boot on the front axl. I'm really not sure. But like you said, a new car should be free of problems.
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,
    my RSX'03 has gotten 60K miles by now, and new tires'd be needed for upstate NY winter. Anyone has anything to say about directional Continental ContiExtremeContact tires?
    thanks, Victor
    someone at Tire Rack recommended those to me for the RSX a ways back. If you end up getting those, we want to hear progress reports! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• skykeeperskykeeper Member Posts: 1
    I've "heard" this problem in a 2+ year old FWD cars. It comes from (don't know an english name) the device that reduces rotation speed for a wheel that is closer to the center of a turn (as it moves slower). All the times it was barely noticeable. The device can be a part of gearbox (because you have to make two front wheels rotate with different speeds when turning)
  • booyah12booyah12 Member Posts: 1
    The popping noise that you hear/ feel at low speed when you make a hard turn is NOT your transmission. Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a common problem with the RSX, particularly the type-S. As is common with many cars, your shocks and struts attach to the car with plastic bushings. However, the RSX does not have a tight tolerance (fit) at the point of that bushing where the shock comes in contact with the frame of the car. The fix that Acura should recommends is either a replacement of your shock and struts without the manufacturing fit error, or the more likely solution is what they call an "isolator" which essentially fills the gap that your bushing pops in and out of.

Personally I don't like the name "isolator" since it sounds like a band-aid to cover up the problem rather than fix it, but the technician i spoke with did seem to understand the problem well.

As a side, you should know that the popping which you should be able to feel in the pedals is not a safety hazard according to the Acura dealers I've spoken to.

This fix should all be covered by your warranty. Be sure that when the service is done you ask for your car to be realigned... this should also be covered by your warranty since the suspension popping is a manufacturer fault. As a former mechanic, I highly recommend a realignment whenever you have work on your suspension/ wheels.

I hope this helps and I recommend contacting Acura of Boston and speaking to Steve in the service dept.if you have more questions. He was very helpful in working with an idiot Acura serviceman near me and helping him to understand how to correctly fix the problem.

Best of luck with the fix and I hope this minor fix doesn't turn you off of a terriffic car.
    This is what I thought it was in the beginning; however the noise only appears when the car is in the second gear - it is not there at the same speed in the first gear.
    It's been 2 months and about 2000 more miles, and then clicking/thumping has returned in my 05 RSX. I've had the car for almost 6 months and it has about 7000 miles on it now. It's been back to the dealer now 5 times due to this problem. The last time I brought it in, I drove away thinking the problem was fixed when they ended up replacing the strut assembly. This morning, the clicking and thumping on the right side has returned. I hear the click/pop when I turn the wheel at a slow speed. And, the only way I can describe the new noise the steering makes some times when turning is sharply and slowly (like when I'm parking) is that it needs to be greased up or something---it's like this cranking almost. The thump or rumble can be heard under the passenger side when I putting the car into gear and sometimes going from 1st to 2nd. Needless to say, I'm completely annoyed. Your comments are very helpful. I plan on bringing the car back in hopefully this week and will have my dealership contact that individual at the Boston dealership. Based on your assessment, am I right to assume that when they have replaced the strut assembly in the past, it's been replaced with the same exact defect which is why it seems fixed for a while and then starts popping? Thank you for your help and to everyone else who has helped me before. I was so happy earlier in the summer to think the problem had been fixed once and for all. Guess not....
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Does your state have a lemon law?

If so, use it. Sounds like you got a lemon.
  • rambunxiousrambunxious Member Posts: 5
    I just got my problem fixed after taking it to the dealership for the third time. They have put a insulating tube on both of the springs. He said that it will be a permanent fix. This is in albuquerque nm and he said that the noise is just the spring rubbing against the strut plate so i don't know if it will be a permanent fix but he said it will be. I guess we'll see. good luck!
    The dealer has just finished rebuilding the transmission on my 2006 RSX - in particular, they replaced the second and the reverse gear. The clicking has disappeared ... (at least, for now). I am still puzzled as to how the same car can have the same transmission problem for so many years right off the assembly line.
  • camicami Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 rsx type-s, I have the same problem you have, is not the transmission nor the steering box, the problem is on the struts, thats what they told me on the dealer. they fixed once and the noise came back, im right here at thedealer again for them to replace the struts again. I hope this time this gets fixed. take care of it now because the noise increases to the point that is permanent. good luck
    I just returned from my dealer for the 6th time with the reoccuring popping/clicking problem. Per the advice on another posting here, I asked my dealer to call Acura of Boston as they seem to be very familiar with the problem and the fix. They confirmed that the noise we're all hearing is due to a manufacturing error in the strut assembly. I've had the strut assembly replaced twice in 3 months---noise goes away for a little while and then returns. They corrected the noise by installing insulators to the coil springs--a silencer tube is the note on my record. I'm not exactly thrilled that this is just covering up the problem, but it sounds next to impossible to get the part without the error.
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    The 2006 RSX has been on the top of my list for a new car. From reading this problem, I am really concerned. Is this a problem with all the RSX's? Does the 2005 have the same problem? I am 300 miles away from the closest Acura Dealer, so this is especially worrysome to me. I was thinking, buy an Acura and have no worries. Now, I'm not sure...

cusafr
    I have no clicking noises in mine and I've had it since September of 2001. Then again, I don't spend my time listening for noises. If it is there, it is very unobtrusive. It sounds like the noise for these other posters is much worse.

Keep in mind that you're only going to hear/read bad things when you read the "problems and solutions" thread. The people without any problems with their cars are not going to spend time on these threads trying to figure out what's wrong.
    Hi everyone,
    have RSX'03 base, with >60K miles on it. Lately, couldn't close moonroof. Looked at glass seat, found some spring stuck out of bezel, preventing glass from getting in place. At dealership, techs removed sptring (felt very soft to me), and told me, to put it back, they'd need to take moonroof assembly out, take it apart, and then re-assemble and put it back in - all for $400, 'cause mileage is > 50K. Said spring, allegedly, helps moonroof to retract smoothly.
    OK, moonroof retarcts smoothly as long as I keep tracks clean and lubed.
    However, called Acura USA and spoke to them, telling I do understand car is out of warranty, but it's only 2 years old, and spring in moonroof has nothing to do with car mileage. After 3 weeks of polite communications, Acura USA told me dealership'd fix spring with 50% discount (50% of what price, exactly?).
    All this story makes me think Acura behaves in line with typical MBA attitude, gimme your money and be damned!
    Sorry to see it happening, though.
    I hope I'll do without this spring in the roof assembly.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " typical MBA attitude, gimme your money and be damned! "

Gimme a break. Your vehicle is out of warranty. Period. Yeah, sometimes a manufacturer will do things when they're out of warranty. But they are under no obligation to do so. Sheesh.
    Well, few years ago in my friend's Civic ignition module died off, with 200K miles driven. Honda declared it's not up to company standards, and replaced it for free. Honda and Toyota have - or used to until recently - implied lifetime warranty on head gasket, it's $2000 deal. It's not about obligation and legalese, it's about company stance and image.
  • acurarsxfsuacurarsxfsu Member Posts: 1
    My RSX is a 2002..........never a problem with it..............at 50,800 miles i am now experiencing problems starting the car. It makes the same noise as if it is about to start but it just doesn't. The radio, ac, and lights all work.....I leave it for a few minutes then it starts.........so strange........is there a recall on a part for the car that may cause this problem???? :cry:
    Make sure you are turning the ignition key all of the way. I sometimes find myself turning the key a little less than needed and it doesn't like to start.

(I'm guessing that the injectors don't get energized if the key is not turned all the way? or maybe spark to the plugs?)
    Anyways, try that and let us know if it helps or not.
    Hmm. It seems that the spark plugs need to be replaced. Check the maintenance schedule. I remember I had the same problem with my 97 civic before after I lost track of the scheduled maintenance. After the replacing the spark plugs, everything went back to normal. It also says on the manual that at times the RSX (not sure if it is specifically for the Type S because I remember the part that says that premium fuel makes starting slower) does take some time to start, but it's not like what you have just described. I might be wrong, but I do suggest you check the maintenance schedule if the spark plugs are due for replacement. ;)
    if your battery is getting old, it may be cranking slower, even though it is hard for you to detect with your ear. I find mine is now turning slower after a couple of years, and especially at cold start is taking longer to fire. I may replace the battery here sometime soon.

As for moonroof repairs at 60K, it is true that the warranty runs out at 50K, and it is a bit much to expect them to just go on repairing everything on the car for free after the warranty expires. I mean, that is WHY it has a specific duration, after all. If you use the moonroof a lot, then miles are just as important as years, because it is the constant travel open and closed that wears the moonroof mechanism.

Toyota has NEVER implied a lifetime warranty on head gaskets either, nor to my knowledge has Honda. That would be absurd. In the case of Toyota, they HAVE extended the warranty just on the head gaskets on some models where there was widespread failure of head gaskets in what Toyota considered a premature fashion. No-one should consider that there is some "implied lifetime warranty" on their head gasket, just because their cars is a Honda or Toyota, however.

I saw a JDM Accord Euro pedal set and it is similar to the JDM DC5's except for the gas pedal. Has anyone installed a JDM Accord Euro pedal set into an RSX Type S?
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    I just put $ down on an 06 RSX Base MT - but am very concerned about these front end noises. Do you think the manufacturer has fixed it by now? I take delivery on the 12th (Oct), but don't have a manufacture date on the actual car.

Also, is the warranty service covered by any Acura dealership (not just where you bought it)? How about at Honda dealerships??

I'm buying from a dealer that is nearly 100 miles away, but then again, it's Acura of Boston and they seem to have someone who understands this specific problem. But, if I happen to get a lemon, this is gonna be a disaster.
    " Also, is the warranty service covered by any Acura dealership (not just where you bought it)? How about at Honda dealerships?? "

Any Acura dealership? Yes

Honda dealership? No.
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    Hi all,

I just picked up a used 2003 RSX-S this past weekend. Aside from some small scratches in the paint, it's in good shape. The only issue I've noticed so far is a rattle coming from the rear hatch. I owned an '86 Civic that had the same problem; sometimes just opening & closing the hatch to reseat it fixed the noise, so I'll try that first, then hit it with some silicone spray if not. Any other suggestions?

Got a very slight grind this morning going into 2nd gear. This is my 3rd Honda product and they've all had slow synchros in cold weather, so this wasn't surprising. Aside from that the trans feels fine.
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks mikefm58.

Although this front end problem is a trend in these vehicles, it sounds like there are a lot of owners who don't have it - I'm going to be one of them!
  • hatchet53hatchet53 Member Posts: 5
    Bought my 2005 Type S end of July. So far have taken it to dealer for strut noises (fixed third time around with the rubber isolator); high beam light on dash inop (fixed) after two weeks waiting for new instrument cluster, only to find out after getting it back and on the road that the speedometer is improperly calibrated- it now reads 10-15 mph low, is sluggish to respond to speed changes, and sets below the zero mark when stopped. Waiting to find out the answer on the speedo. Love the car's handling and engine, but a bit tired of the niggling bits!
  • rsxhelprsxhelp Member Posts: 4
    Hi I found this forum completely by accident. I bought a 2005 RSX Type S brand new. I did all the oil changes and everything I was supposed to do. The second it hit 5000 miles... I had problems. I want to know if I have a :lemon:
    PROBLEM 1: my transmission would not go into 3rd gear. No matter what I did, I couldn't shift to third. (The dealer drove it and said it had a problem)
    PROBLEM 2: Extremely loud whining noise (and warped bearings) after 5000 miles (New transmission after 6000 and it's still doing the same thing... only now it won't go into 4th gear)
    PROBLEM 3: The car keeps going out on me... Ex: won't start it's had more than 4 batteries. They said the alternator wasn't the problem... so what is? I live in the south- no harsh weather conditions.
    PROBLEM 4: BAD SERVICE! I'm a girl, and because of that... I apparently don't know anything about cars. (please note the sarcasm and help me...?) after the second time I took the car in (the 5th time it died on me) they refused to see it anymore. I can't get roadside assistance. Every time I call I'm not in a service area because I live on a mountain.

I only have 8000 miles on it now and I'm having bad problems. I'm at school and I know the car won't start by the time classes let out. Any ideas? Please help me I don't know what I should do. I love the car... I traded my 95 Integra SE to get this one. Is a lawsuit the right way to go? I need an oil change and they won't see the car...
    I had the same problem... well have the same problem on my 2005 RSX they said they can't fix it... then again they said they can't fix a lot of things on the car (inclusing my transmission) what did you end up doing? :lemon:
    It is not in the Acura dealer's power to refuse to service a car under warranty. it is a violation of their contract with Acura. That's number one. Take it back to them, leave it with them, tell them you will not accept it back until all the problems you are reporting are fixed.

Number two: if you don't want to have to confront the same people again, there is always the possibility of going to another dealer if there is one near enough. Bring your service records with you. Make sure all the problems you are having are clear to the new dealership.

Number three: Acura, like most manufacturers, has regional service reps who you can get to come out and look at your car. They are there to smooth the way with the dealership, and if necessary to buy back your car. You can contact Acura North America directly - look at their website.

Number four: it is clear that the dealership has not solved the problems you have brought to them - perhaps if you went back and explained the car is undriveable (no fourth gear and no-starts is undriveable in a brand new car!) and that they hadn't fixed the problem with their first try, they would be amenable to another try?

Number five: if you have raced the car or modified it for racing, and that is the reason you are having problems, they will of course refuse to honor the warranty if in fact they can trace the car's problems to the mods/racing. I figure you would have mentioned this, but that is not the situation, right?

Number six: most states have a lemon law, which you can research on your state's website, usually under the state department of consumer affairs. You can certainly invoke this if numbers one through five don't bring any results. It has specific requirements, and I hope you kept all your service records. (you can get them reprinted at the dealership if you did not). Check it out.

Number seven: When you take it back, INSIST on a loaner car. You've been more than patient.
  • rialbrialb Member Posts: 2
    That is completely unacceptable. I would call the owner of the dealership and explain your problem(s) and very politely imply that it is in their interest that this be settled at the dealer level. Insist that he (she) arrange for a regional service representative from Acura to examine your car. Follow-up your conversation with a letter to document your conversation with a carbon copy to Acura of America.

Be politely FORCEFUL. You are right - They are wrong. You paid a lot of money for your car and are a loyal Acura customer. Get 'em.
  • rsxaholicrsxaholic Member Posts: 2
    :mad: Hey all,
    I ve just had my rsx 05 for about 2 1/2 months now and have taken it in 4 times for this annoying popping sound - 1st time they didnt have another strut and I had to wait for it to come in, 2nd time it came in and they replaced it, 3 rd time the noise was happening on drivers side - they replaced that and and now I am taking it again as it is back on the passenger side! However, as I am reading I am realising it isnt the strut that needs to be replaced but an insulating tube that needs to be put on. I will tell the mechanic to do this.
    If anyone else has done this and still hear the popping sound let me know. Its driving me literally crazy. I LOVE the car to death but probs from a brand new one are disheartening and almost steering me away from buying Acura in the future.
    Feedback anyone?
    So I've had my '03 Type-S for a few days, and driven it to work and back. I've encountered the 2nd & 3rd gear grind a couple of times. It seems to occur only on the first shift cycle; i.e., leaving my driveway in the morning. Once the transmission runs for a minute or two, I guess things warm up, and it's smooth as butter. I think I can live with it this way, although I confess my other Hondas never behaved this way except in very cold weather. Maybe the trans needs a lighter grade of oil?

I played with the hatch a bit last night but the rattle continues today. Again, it's mainly when the vehicle is cold. I'll probably see what the dealer can do when I bring it in for the next service.
    I haven't changed the car at all (because of the whole warranty thing) Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.Unfortunately there isn't another acura dealer for miles away.. but that is a good idea. Maybe it's roadtrip time... if it can get there. I forgot to mention that the car has been in the shop more than 6 times and for almost 30 days. (the same problem all the way through and then a few others on different occasions)

Thank you so much for replying, I really had no idea what to do. They just towed the car because it didn't start this morning. We'll see what happens. Do you know what can warp bearings like that and throw off my syncros after only 1000 miles? (that's how many I have on the new transmission and it's already doing it) lol and nono it's not my driving style. I made them ride with me and tell me so ^_^ Thanks again :sick:
    I have never met a hatchback that didn't eventually creak, usually within a year of new. Whenever the car torques (going up an uneven slope, turning into driveways, etc) that hatch takes the brunt of it, and will eventually begin to creak as things get just infinitesimally out of alignment. I have accepted it as the price tp pay for my favorite body style! I'm not saying you have to though - maybe the dealer will be able to lubricate something so that there is less noise back there.

I have noticed that the synchros take a minute to warm up in the morning, but that is true in most manuals also. Perhaps the RSX's grind a bit more than just thumping as other cars did that I have had. I shift easy for the first mile, and it is smooth as pancake syrup after that. :-)

rsxhelp: sounds like you got a bum car there. I have no idea what could cause that much damage to a transmission in that short a time. I think: nothing you could do. It is just a bad transmission. As for going to another dealer, just remember that the law does give you rights, so you should look them up at the department of consumer affairs. If I were you, I would make another attempt with the dealer you already went to, maybe starting with phone calls and e-mails to the service and general managers. With copies to Acura Client Services.

I hope they get it running today and at least fix the separate problem you seem to be having with the electrical system. :-(

• boboandtotoboboandtoto Member Posts: 16
    hi all,
    i was just wondering if there was any way to move the car (for example, down the slope) without starting it...like shifting it in neutral and letting it roll...i haven't tried it yet...just wondering if its safe to do and if there is anything we should do before doing such thing...i'm afraid something might mess up... :confuse:
    thanks
    I haven't changed the car at all (because of the whole warranty thing) Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.Unfortunately there isn't another acura dealer for miles away.. but that is a good idea. Maybe it's roadtrip time... if it can get there. I forgot to mention that the car has been in the shop more than 6 times and for almost 30 days. (the same problem all the way through and then a few others on different occasions)

nippononly is right.
    If you can take it to another dealer, then that might help your situation. It sounds like the current dealer is a jerk (and incompetent to boot)
    Call up the other dealer and explain your situation calmly. Tell them all of the problems you're having with your car and mention the other dealers inability to fix your problems (though you may want to wait for them to ask if you've had it serviced before mentioning the other dealer)

Also, the Acura dealer that you take it to should provide you with a loaner car when you bring it in for service. My dealer gives out TL's for people getting serviced. And when they don't have any available (happened once) they put you in a rental car (Enterprise?) and take care of the entire bill.

You may also want to look into Lemon laws for your state. You may qualify.
    It should be completely harmless to put it in neutral and roll it. Just make sure the parking brake isn't set.
  • qtchickqtchick Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I'm totally out of topic here but need some help:

Should I go to ACURA to get my car maintenanced??? i'm at 50 000 km's and they want me to get package a, b, c and d = something like 400$ CAN ....to me this is CRAZY!!! do I really need all this???
    What is it That i need to really get done at this milage...it will be my first maintenace accept for my reg oil changes. Should I go somewhere else to get this done???

Pls help :)
    You have read your owner's manual, right? Have them give you a price on only the maintenance listed in your owner's manual for the miles you have on your car. Have read your owner's manual? All dealers have their own set of recommended maintenance that is usually doing things listed in your owner's manual much sooner than needed.
    Did I ask if you've read your owner's manual?
  • boboandtotoboboandtoto Member Posts: 16
    hi all,
    i was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem or if it is normal...whenever i shift gears from park to reverse, i feel something jerking in the engine...also, when i shift to drive, i feel it again, but this time its a jerking motion backwards...this only happens when i initially start the car in the mornings...also, has anyone encountered any problems when turning right extremely sharply?...whenever i do, i feel a grinding noise coming from the front tires...any help or suggestions would be welcome...thanks...