Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• szxyz1szxyz1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 RSX 5-speed, and I don't believe the 2nd (and 3rd) gear grind is a shift timeing issue. I've had mine grind at low rpms with shifts I know were slow, solid, and accurate. I've purchased new an '89 Accord, '96, '99, and '02 Civics, all 5-speeds and never had this problem(or anything similiar). I fail to see how my shift timing changed suddenly when I purchased this car. Honda needs to admit to this defect, but they are too thick headed, because the know they usually get it right. This has burst my perception that Honda is perfect, but they do make entertaining cars. Im ready to buy something new, but not sure yet if I want to take a chance with another Acura. Unfortunately i'm kind of drooling thinking about what the '07 RSX will be like.
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    This is my first Honda vehicle with a manual tranny so I really don't have much driving experience with a Honda MT, although I do also have an AT 97 Honda Civic EX Cpe and it's not relavant to this issue. My friend told me that Honda has a long history of having slow synchros, along with a light-feel designed clutch. He also did mention that he has some 2nd gear synchro grinding on some of his Hondas before, although it happens far less that the S2000 and the RSX. I remember this grinding issue really became famous during the first year of the S2000 years back and apparently it has not disappeared. They've let the RSX inherit the problem instead. But since you mentioned owning multiple Hondas with MTs on all of them, I do believe that you have more experience in Hondas than any of my friends. It's just funny how Honda couldn't make this synchro grinding issue go away after releasing thousands of vehicles out of the production line. I guess this would be my last Honda MT vehicle. And I wouldn't be surprised if the new 06 Civic Si would have the same synchro grinding problem as well. If it wasn't for the gas mileage (considering the distance I drive most of the time and the fluctuating gas prices), I would have bought a WRX instead. :)
  • mikes302mikes302 Member Posts: 4
    I've had the same issue with my 05 type S and just now (a year later) the dealer just replaced the syncros for 2nd and 3rd gears due to excessive wear. It was however covered by the normal warranty. According to them it's a known issue but I haven't checked the TSBs. It's funny 6 months ago they told me that it's normal that I have to rev to 3000 rpms in order to shift to 3rd gear. Now all gears are smooth.
    Wow, that's good to know. Thanks. I never had any problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd but I did a have a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd a month ago. Somehow it went away and I hope it doesn't come back. Since you mentioned that you have rev it to 3000 rpm to shift 3rd gear, with the dealer telling you that it's normal, I guess that confirms that Honda's triple-cone synchros are indeed slow. I've heard other people switch to a different transmission oil and thought of it, but I realized that it could void the warranty since it's not the recommended type of oil to use. Anyways, I'll just keep my fingers crossed at the moment. By the way, are you also having some clunking noises on the front struts? Mine does clunk a little at times, but I'm not so worried about it because it's not a safety issue and it's covered by warranty if something bad happens.
  • hakunamatatahakunamatata Member Posts: 6
    Pretty much the same experience here. I have a 2004 type S that I have been driving for 3 months now. I have to admit that the frequency of the grinds has reduced over time. But as soon as I believe that I have mastered the shifts, it happens again. So I don't think it is a shift timing issue. Somebody mentioned to have gotten the synchros replaced under warranty. I will give that a shot at the local dearlership.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    my last four Integras and my RSX front drivers seat leather has cracked twice and been relaced twice. Is it because of it's kidney shape?It's got to be cheap leather,because none of my friends cars leather is as dry and rough like mine. :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    it depends a lot on the quality of the leather and the treatment the owner gives it. The leather you get on a $50K car is going to be better grade than a $30K car.
    Thanks for your feedback, guys. It is good to know that everything is covered by warranty. It's just I really hate going to the dealership for something like this. It doesn't grind now, and I hope it continues that way. When the time comes that I have to take it to the dealership for maintenance, I'll have them look into it if there is some excessive wearing on the synchros.
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,
    last Sat, after cold nite, started up my RSX'03 base auto, 66K miles, and drove slowly for ~ 1mile. Hit the highway, and when speed reached 60 mph, car began vibrate, with steering wheel shaking badly. First thought was, bent rim. Slowed down to 50 mph, drove for ~10 miles, all shaking gone.
    Could that have been frozen brake caliper? All theories welcome - thanks, Victor
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    Was the car parked outside with ice or snow on it? I've had this happen when ice built up on one side of the rim, causing a balance vibation. After a while the ice melts or shakes off and the vibation goes away.

Another cause can be tires that flat-spot when they sit in the cold, and they take a while to "round up" again.
    Thanks, I think now, it was ice. took quite some time for it to melt it, though!
  • denhaagdenhaag Member Posts: 1
    I just installed a AEM cold air intake on my 2004 RSX Type-S. I don't have a DYNO in my head, but I am definitely not feeling a power increase. The engine sound definitely got deeper and more throaty, but I actually feel a small loss in horsepower/torque. I am noticing that the air filter position is completely encased between the front bumper (w/ foglights) and back mud-panels, so I am considering removing the driver-side mud-panel to give the filter more air-flow (it's one of those new AEM "dry-flow" filters, too), but then I have the risk of exposure to hydrolock on rainy days. So, my questions for fellow RSX owners are: Why the heck is this cold air intake not making extra power, like on my other car (2000 Civic Si)? Is it because of the restricted air-flow? Is the 2004 Type-S's stock airbox already better than an upgrade to cold-air? Should I switch back to stock?
  • rsxs02rsxsrsxs02rsxs Member Posts: 3
    hey i just turned 16 and im about thinking about buying a 2002 rsx type-s. i keep hearing about that 2nd gear grind and it doesnt sound to good. does this happen with all of the cars?? or just some? and is there anything else i should know before i buy this car or if i even should???
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    At your age, insurance!! :surprise:
    naaah its actually not that bad..
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    Well, I have an '04 base model with the 5-speed manual with nearly 35K on the clock. I haven't experienced any problems with it so far. I must admit though, the factory stereo is WEAK! The factory setup in my '01 Camry sounds much better. I'm not saying it's junk, just weak. Especially for an upscale make like 'ACURA'. I'm told that the Bose system in the Type-S is nothing to write home about either. Road noise on anything but smooth blacktop is a real challenge for the sound system in either model. In all fairness, this can be remedied with an aftermaket installation (don't forget to use insulation). Gas prices are marching back up again, and the advantage of the Base over the Type-S is that the Base can get by on 87 octane fuel. The Type-S calls for premium. You might want to take that into consideration. From a maintenance standpoint, don't half-step. Get it done the right way the first time! Use quality parts. Look for a model with plenty of life left in the tires. I'm on the OEM tires, but replacement V-rated rubber ain't cheap. I use synthetic oil. Again, it ain't cheap.
    PERFORMANCE: It's a relative thing. I can do 0-60 in between 7 and 8 seconds in my Base model. Downshifting to pass someone on the highway is not required. That VTEC is real happy when the revs cross the 3500 mark. In 5th gear, that puts me somewhere between 65 and 70 MPH. And she wants more pedal, too! The twisties are pretty entertaining with this car.
    WET BLANKET TIME: Most guys your age (can't help it, kid!) haven't had a license for too long. This is an easy car to drive sanely or insanely. Take your time in exploring what this car or any one like it can do. A 200 horsepower pocket-rocket can get a teenager in a lot of trouble in about 10 seconds. Have fun, but be careful with it if you get one. An RSX is one hell of a good car! ;)
    thanks man that helps.. i dont plan on doing anything crazy for a while anyway, so hopefully i dont get into too much trouble
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I fill up at Sam's club and I use 93 octane,because that's the only premium they sell.
    Well, I got sick of that and fill half the tank w/93 and I/2 with plus, 89 octane Exxon .
    I tried out for a week a Mada 3, 2.3 Liter and my Type S gets better milage and and it averages out the same money on gas. Also, the Mazda doesn't have the zip.
    Accura's are bullet proof and I have had 5 of them'
    The host of this forum says my leather seats crack because of the price I paid . I spent $25000.00 for fogs,spoiler,xpel clear mask. and I got rid of the woofer on the doughnut.
    My daughter, has leather and heated seats in her Subaru and it's soft and supple.( she,well I paid $23,600 for her wheels)Accura = cheap leather still to me.
  • jentalkalotjentalkalot Member Posts: 4
    I am very unhappy with my purchase of my new 06 RSX. From day one, I heard a noise like clicking coming from the engine. When I turn left, in 2nd gear, going about 20mph. I took it in for an service appointment. I even drove it for them, to let the service guy here the noise. Which he did. They kept it for 2 days. Called me and said "You can pick up your car now it is ready" I said, What was it, what did you do? They told me that they found a known problem, but not a known fix. I said I didn't understand. They explained it to me that they heard the clicking noise, they think it is coming from the transmission, but that is was just a noise and not dangerous. They had called around to other dealers to see about the problem, but no one had a solution to the problem. I informed them that I thought that was unacceptable, I shouldn't have to drive a car that makes a noise like this. It is very loud, other people who are outside or inside the car can hear it. One guy walked over to me in a parking lot and said I hear something in your car, you need to have that looked at. So I know people around can hear it. Anyway, I told the dealership, they need to fix my car, that I was not happy driving it, not knowing really what is wrong with it. They kept my car for about 4 more days. Then called me again and said I needed to come get my car, that they needed their loaner back. My car had been setting in the parking lot, not being worked on. They told me they continued to call around to try to find a fix, but nothing. They said they have a call out to the manufacturer engineer, when they heard from them they would get the car back and fix it. I was very unhappy so I called the manufacturer myself, she said she was aware of the problem, and that a engineer would have to send some specs since it was a 06 they weren't sure what to fix on it, and that they weren't going to just replace parts that didn't need replaced. I dont believe they know what is wrong with it. It has been a month, and no phone call. I followed up with the manufacturer myself because I am so sick of the clicking sound. She said they still haven't heard from anyone regarding this. Is it fare that I have to drive this car like this? Is there a chance that something is very wrong with it? I ask the dealership to put me in another car since this is not my fault that they can't fix it. They said it is a used car now, and they could only trade it in for me, which means I lose lots of money. This is not fair. What do you think it could be? What are my options for getting my car fixed? Thanks, sorry its so long!
  • dc10driverdc10driver Member Posts: 15
    Are you driving an automatic?
    Myself and alot of other drivers have the same problem with the RSX. Do a search of the forums on this site and type in "popping" to see the other posts. I am getting use to the noise but it's ashame to buy a brand new car and have a problem like this!!
    NO, it is manual. They keep telling me it is not the strut. It sounds like the same problem others are having, but the dealership keeps telling me its not. I am just sick of it.
  • my6spdmy6spd Member Posts: 5
    I bought a left over 2002 RSX Type S. I chose Acura because I wanted quality without annoying issues but that's not what I got. I don't have major problems but the minor problems are really aggrevating. Here's what continuously happens that the dealers can't seem to fix:
    1. Auto up driver side window pauses halfway up, comes down a couple inches and then stops. It's intermittent and was fixed 3 times - a "loose connection" - it wasn't grounded.
    2. A rattle coming from the driver side somewhere. Sounds like 2 little metal pieces rattling - happens at 4300 rpm. No fix.
    3. A plastic rattle sound on bumpy roads - doesn't have to be that bad of a road either. It's coming from the dash somewhere.
    4. Passenger-side headlight has gone out twice - a "loose connection".

I'm irritated that I paid $25,000 for a Type S and got a car with loose connections. When the warranty runs out in 6,000 miles, it will cost too much to have these annoyances fixed. Any one else have these issues? Do you have permanent fixes for the problems?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    "1. Auto up driver side window pauses halfway up, comes down a couple inches and then stops. It's intermittent and was fixed 3 times - a "loose connection" - it wasn't grounded."

Really? My base model started doing that, that was when I sold it. Tired of little trips to the service department. They never did straighten the steering wheel. Suspension that they would tighten at every service visit, which would begin to clunk again over speed bumps and the like within a few hundred miles.

This is a great car, but why couldn't Honda put them together flawlessly like Integras I have had in the past? Never had any problems with the lights, however, and it never broke down or anything.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• fran17fran17 Member Posts: 1
    I also had a problem with my glovebox coming on during the night. The good part was that once you turned off the ignition the light went out so there was no way to run your battery down. Once I mentioned this problem to the dealership they also fixed it.
    Hi there,
    here I am again, ranting about my RSX base'03 sunroof. With 69K miles driven, sunroof now would tilt a bit and stop, without tilting further and sliding back. Emergency roof actuator doesn't help, either. Good news is, it still goes into CLOSED position. Did anyone here experience something similar?
    thanks, Victor
  • shepard1shepard1 Member Posts: 1
    hey jen dont despair. i have a 06 rsx type s with the same problem. beihg a mechanic i had to figure out the problem. i found that the front springs were slightiy moving in the bottom spring perch. the top perch has a rubber mount to prevent this. the vehicle should make the popping noise simply by turning the steering wheel lock to lock. i found the solution to be spraying white lithium on the bottom perch to lubricate the spring and allow it to move ever so slightly thus preventing the popping sound. it works !!!!!!
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Open it up as far as you can and get the acorns out of the mechanism. Those darn squirrels will do that everytime!
    :-)

It probably just needs some lube. Mine just turned 68,888 this morning on my way to work. I'll be checking the lube situation this spring. Thanks for the heads up
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    $25k for a 2002 with problems? Sorry to say, I think you overpaid, badly. Did you not see or drive the car first? Or did these problems appear after you'd had it a while?
  • rsxrrsxr Member Posts: 7
    Seeking some advice on this matter, and I'll keep it short.

I bought a 2002 rsx with 20k miles on it last august 16, 05

A minor collision sept 16, 05 has me drop off the car to my local acura dealership.

I just got my car back Monday - Jan 9, 06

4 MONTHS LATER!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN...

The short of it is -
    I was told by the main service manager that I could put duct tape over a worn through peice on the vacum plate.

SHOULD I HAVE ASKED TO SEE THE GM...OR SHOULD IT STILL?

The insurance is going to replace it...it's a $20 part..why didn't acura fix it when they had the wheel off to replace the lower control arm, knuckle and bearing.

AND HOW COULD THAT TAKE 4 MONTHS?????

I could go on about the lack of service, workmanship and lack of hospitality but I really wanna find out what I should do.

The only things (so far) is they need to replace the vacum plate, replace the missing overhead dome light cover ??????
    and tell me

WHY IS MY RIGHT TURN SHARPER THAN MY LEFT?

I'm missing about a quarter turn on the left compared to right turns which are sharper.

in the collision the knuckle was munched and the wheel came off.

Also, the day I dropped the car off they told me there was definately frame damage. Then they tell me there is no frame..then the body shop they referred me to that has the frame straightener tells me that Acura couldn't do the wheel alignment if the frame was bent.

I've got such a run around from these people.

I don't know what to do.

Should I bring the car back to them or bring it somewhere else to get second opinion - first, before I have them make repairs?

I'd really like to know why my left turn's are as sharp as my right anymore...????

I'm open to your suggestions as I'm concerned this may be a safety issue.

Thanks - you're input in greatly appreciated.

Signed,
    Beat Up ;( :mad:
    I had over $8,000 in repairs and car rental which luckily was covered by the insurance company.

But I had so much pointing out to do and sending the car back to fix everything from the scratches in my leather seat, the chipped paint on the driver door, crook
    I love my RSX
    and man, I feel ya..I'm having a samiliar misfortune with my local acura. I'm very unhappy - I was even told I could put duct tape on a part they should have replaced. I've gone as far as contacting consumer affairs and the beaureue of automotive repair...and I still feel pretty beat up and taken.

There's gotta be some source to help out people who are getting ripped of in the automotive world.
    :mad:
    I'd get a cheaper car...get your driving down for a few years before getting into an RSX..it's not for the power..but I totally believe in having something to learn on before getting the nicer (you'd probably wanna learn how to play guitar first before buying a $4,000 black widow les paul)

and yeah, liability on a cheapy...otherwise..if you do get an RSX...get full coverage cause you'll be pissed if you don't when you bang it up...
    your car is still under warranty. I'd take it to your local Acura dealership...or one you feel you can trust.
  • daffy_duckdaffy_duck Member Posts: 1
    Well I have a same problem with clucking noise by turning the vehicle steering wheel lock to lock after one month driving it. Brought it to the dealer and the mechanic knows right away the main caused of the problem for this clucking/poping/clicking noise. Since it is a known problem with a 2006 Acura RSX. It came from the front springs. Since turning the steering wheel, by design, the front springs move also, and since it moves the springs collide with the mounting plate of the springs, therefore, it created this noise. There is no known fixed for it at this time and the Acura engineers are working on it for a long term solution, might be a recall to fix it (according to my Acura dealer). My dealer has their own solution for this by inserting a plastic/rubber tube to the springs at the location where metal to metal collide. And it fixed it for now, I no longer hear the noise. If you need to call this Acura Dealer to find out what they did to my 06 Acura RSX in detail here is the number to call (408) 247-7422 and asked for service department.
  • mdrsxmdrsx Member Posts: 1
    Recently, I purchased a 2006 RSX and have experienced the same popping sound coming from my front passenger side strut area when navigating through small, tight areas such as a parking garage. Also, I have a rattle in my dash board and a slight squelling sound when turing the air circulation to AUTO or one of the higher setting.

I first heard the clunking/ popping sound when a Acura driver was parking my car in preparation for the teflon coating this past week.

Many people post messages on this board regarding the same problem over and over again, but no one posts the dealership's name or last 6 digits of their VIN. No one should have to buy a car with an imperfection as the one in the struts.

I have a 2006 Acura RSX.
    Rolled off the assembly line just before 006900.
    Rosenthal Acura, Gaithersburg, MD.
    Mileage: 1055
    Of course I test drove it. No issues. The problems started after about a year. I paid 25k which includes 3k of options and taxes. Basically, I paid sticker price for a type S and got 3k of options for free.
    I've taken it to 2 different dealers for these issues. The window has been fixed twice, the headlight was fixed twice, and the other issues "can't be repeated". I even took a service guy for a drive to show him the buzzing sound. He heard it but didn't fix it. I tried getting it fixed 5 times - nothing. So much for Acura quality.
    Yeah, I've seriously considered selling it. These problems are little and recurring. If they get fixed, they recur a few months later. It will cost too much to continue to get this minor stuff fixed after the warranty runs out. I agree with your question, "why couldn't Honda put them together flawlessly?". That's why I bought an Acura - because it's supposed to be a better quality. Arg!

What car did you end up buying after you sold your RSX?
    I went in a different direction because my needs have changed. I flipped my old truck and the RSX for a much newer truck and a Toyota Echo - needed the four doors and wanted the better gas mileage.

My experience with Toyotas has been that while they are not quite the precision driving instruments that Hondas usually are, they ARE put together with less of the little electronic annoyances that I ALWAYS seem to experience with Hondas, and will need less repairs (especially electrical) late in their life.

My old Integra was running strong at 250K miles, still a pleasurable drive. But the HVAC had needed repairing a couple of times, the rear wiper had quit long before, water was coming in through the taillights and the hatch, it was a bit of a mess in terms of body integrity and electricals. Yes, 250K is a lot of miles for a car. But I have had better luck in old Toyotas that had a similar mileage.

I just know that in my RSX, the window bouncing down on auto-up would have begun to annoy me before too long, would have become more frequent, and would have been "unable to duplicate" at the dealer service drive. That is just my luck with Hondas.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tsmalltsmall Member Posts: 1
    Hello MDRSX....

i purchased my rsx 2006 last aug.... I have had the same problem with the struts 3 weeks after i drove it off the lot...
    AS of right now my car as gone back to the dealership 2 a month since i bought it...

The dealership says they fix the noise and it never fails within 2 weeks it starts up again every time i reverse or turn left or right... it is really bad.. the dealership states they will fix the problem but they really dont know what it is.... right after i bought my car i went in for a week to let them know that i could hear the noise from the struts but they did not believe me... crazy huh???
    As of right now my car is at the dealership and I am very unhappy!!!!!!
    I want to trade my car in for something else even more so because i am leasing it!!!!
    sucks for me....
    do you have any advice or is there anything ur dealership as told u ?

I have been taking my car to Cush Acura in Escondido. Ca
    My dealership has yet to call me. I called them a couple of weeks ago, because now the popping noise is here, as described by so many others. Just turning the wheel, backing out or something, you can hear it. People riding with me say that is just the strut. The dealership say they can fix that problem, but still haven't heard from the engineer on the other problem. They swear its in my transmission, but I dont really believe them. It is only turning left and going 20-23mph. It is just a clicking noise like something is hitting something else. I think when they had my car for the two days they did, they made phone calls, and didn't really try to figure out the problem. I think it is just unbelievable, that they sell me a car, with a problem, and then can't fix it.I just hope it is safe.
    You wish they would just recall the 2006 rsx, with so many other people having the same problem. I would just like to purchase another car, but hate losing money when it not my fault.
    Well if it helps, the last 6 digits of the vin is 001851
    I live and deal with the Asheville, NC dealership.
    I talk to the manufacturer of the regional area, and she just tells me to give them time, that all they are obligated to do is fix my car, and she says they will as soon as the can. I told her that was really unacceptable to me. But really what can I do? All I can and have been doing is waiting for them to do something which is nothing so far.
  • rsxaholicrsxaholic Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have an 05 RSX that i bought last summer. I have the same noise and have taken it in 4 times for the same prob. Since you have had your "fixed" I would like to know if the noise has come back? I just took mine in today and they say they are ordering me another strut. They dont seem to know what the prob is here. I live in Lakeland, FL. They are open to suggestion though and if your solution has worked so far I would like to know!!
    Thanks!
  • rsxridersxride Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I had that same problem with struts. Took my car in twice and they kept replacing the strut but noise kept coming. My dealership was able to fix, i can provide you their phone # and you contact them. After i complained so much, one of the Managers/Techs got on the phone with Acura's Tech department and Acura ended up sending my dealership some type of part (very expensive) ...and this fixed it and now for the last 6 months no more noise.
  • carolinarsxcarolinarsx Member Posts: 2
    Please post what the fix is and the part number if you have it on your invoice. Also the dealership that fixed it. I have all of 400 miles on my RSX-S and the dash is making a noise and I hear the strut noise as well. My 1989 BMW 325i w/ 255K makes less noise. I have not taken it in yet, but would like to tell them who to call and what to fix to avoid them taking several weeks to "figure it out" Thank You!!!!
  • djromesburgdjromesburg Member Posts: 2
    I can't understand how crappy this car is, my first Acura and my last. I bought my 2005 brand new and as of Jan 2006, I only have 57k miles on my car. My service history is incredibly long and even the person at the service counter couldn't believe how much work I've had done and it still continues...

last year when I was under warranty my "side airbag off" indicator light would come on at times, then back off over a period of 8 months or so. I haven't been in an accident and my warranty expired 5 months ago and for the past 4 months my "side airbag off" light is on the entire time I drive UNLESS someone is sitting in the Passenger seat.

I found a TSB on this issue and the Acura dealer I go to even confirmed the number;
    TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: NHTSA Bulletin Number: 02021
    MFG Bulletin Date: 20020909
    Component: AIR BAGS
    Details: ON SOME VEHICLES THE SIDE AIRBAG OFF INDICATOR COMES ON WHILE DRIVING. *TT
    Date added to datbase: 20021031

HOWEVER as I was told; UNLESS ACURA has a recall on this, ANYTHING outside of the warranty period isn't covered UNLESS Acura has a recall. Suprisingly enough, Acura has NO recalls for the 2002 RSX.. Which doesn't surprise me!

I've had my seat covers replaced because the leather wore, even my steering wheel for the same reason and I only have 50+ thousand miles on my car.

I've had rotors replaced, brakes replaced (which is a typical item), all of my rear lights fail and I had to have some type of master pump replaced and the list goes on and on; drivers seat belt catch, light switch stuck, OEM fog lights 3 weeks after they were installed and too much more.....

Amazing, Acuras I thought were reliable, dependable, really great cars? The solution to my problem since my car will be paid off in a few months; save up some money, get rid of my Acura and never buy another one.. First and last Acura, heck I even had a Mitsubishi Eclipse brand new convertible that had problems a few years back, so I would say Acura and Mitsui are neck and neck.. What a comparision....
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I can't understand how crappy this car is, my first Acura and my last. I bought my 2005 brand new and as of Jan 2006, I only have 57k miles on my car.

ONLY 57K miles? Do you ever get out of your car?
    :-)

HOWEVER as I was told; UNLESS ACURA has a recall on this, ANYTHING outside of the warranty period isn't covered UNLESS Acura has a recall. Suprisingly enough, Acura has NO recalls for the 2002 RSX.. Which doesn't surprise me!

Why should they have a recall for something that doesn't effect all of the cars? A TSB is issued for any fix that is done to the car...it doesn't have to be a widespread problem for a TSB to be written.

I've had my seat covers replaced because the leather wore, even my steering wheel for the same reason and I only have 50+ thousand miles on my car.

Well, you have been rubbing them constantly for the past year with no reprieve. :-)
    Have you tried leather conditioner on them? The new ones that is...it should help the longevity.

I've had rotors replaced, brakes replaced (which is a typical item), all of my rear lights fail and I had to have some type of master pump replaced and the list goes on and on; drivers seat belt catch, light switch stuck, OEM fog lights 3 weeks after they were installed and too much more.....

That is a long list. I'm surprised you're still even able to GET OEM fog lights. They've had issues with them from the bginning.
    Mine were replaced three times since October of 2001...all done for free by my dealer.

Amazing, Acuras I thought were reliable, dependable, really great cars?

Mine is...sounds like you got a lemon.

First and last Acura, heck I even had a Mitsubishi Eclipse brand new convertible that had problems a few years back, so I would say Acura and Mitsui are neck and neck.. What a comparision....

Well, if your previous car had problems also, maybe it's you and not the car. Are you an agressive driver? Larger than 6 feet?
    Driving a car aggressively will lower it's lifespan, and being extra large may add stress to the seats when you're getting in and out all of the time.
  • carolinarsxcarolinarsx Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from Hendrick Acura in Charlotte, NC. Told them what the car was doing and the noise it was making in the front end ahead of my appointment and the potential fix with installing the MDX Silencer Tubes. They agreed, said they had seen about 3-4 RSX Type S with that issue. They installed MDX Silencer Tubes in about an hour, made one other minor adjustment to the lower spring perch, and it's fixed. They did a great job, fixed it the first time, and didn't give me a hint of a problem with doing it. They did say there is not a TSB, but they are expecting one to come out any day now. Thanks Jason Leake @ Hendrick Acura in Charlotte.
  • rbarber2rbarber2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 06 RSX about 3 months ago and it has developed rattles in the dash. Sounds like it's coming from behind the vents. Really bad when on rough roads. Anyone know if the dearler would look at this and take care of it under warranty?

Also, It handles great on dry roads but tends to ge a little loose on wet roads. Anyone else find this?
  • hatchbackbabyhatchbackbaby Member Posts: 7
    I own a 04' type-S and don't have a problem with the dash rattling. The slip of the tires in noticeable in the rain. My suggestion is to just take it a bit slower or buy new tires.

Does anyone think that the paint seems thin and really easy to chip on the RSX? Even the slightest ding or scratch and the paint is removed.
    In mine, the dash developed a rattle, and when my dealer looked at it, they decided the passenger side airbag had shifted under its cover, or something like that, and was bumping against something. I wish I could remember what they did, but they either moved it back or insulated it or something, and the rattle was gone after that. Never came back.

As for wet traction, oh boy. The stock tires suck in the wet, it's like driving on ice. These are long-wear tires - they last forever, the trade-off being traction. So yes, I certainly noticed it, and you should replace the tires if you want to improve it. There are much better tires on the market than these.