Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    If you are talking New, you have to decide first, how much you want to spend, and second what do you want to do with the truck.

Some basic advice, go for the 5.4L V8. Fuel econ is almost the same as the 4.6 and the performance is much better. The bigger engine is also quieter.

Try to find a 2006 left over. The only change for 07 is the addition of a mp3 input jack on the radio and the 06 has much bigger rebates.

A 4x4 XLT Supercrew with the bigger engine should be in the low $30s.

Mark.
  • chellbell07chellbell07 Member Posts: 2
    thank you very muchh

chelsea
  • heilmyselfheilmyself Member Posts: 1
    hi, what's the coolant capacity of a 1992 ford f150, 6 cylinder? I don't have an owner's manual. thanks
  • hotrod_7292hotrod_7292 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 f150 and I turn the key and the fuel pumps wont just cycle on for a few sec. they stay on and it wont start. It has fuel at the pressure regulator because i removed it and fuel came out, so i know the pumps are working. If anyone has any info. on how to fix it I would appreciate it.
  • muckhogmuckhog Member Posts: 2
    :shades: Well have some news on the window regulators. We lost another window within a months time. So I called ford 1-800-392-3673 and told them of our situation and thought that they should make it good because more than one window should'nt come off their tracks for no reason and that this should be investigated further,also that this should be a manufactors problem. I know that this isnt covered warranty wise but we need to report these things in order to get anywhere. They told me that I first need to go to the ford dealer and get a diagnosis done to say exactly went wrong. The dealer was already aware because ford emailed them and at least of paying the whole price for repairs it only cost me 70.00 and now hopefully will get that reimbursed. Also we found out that the shifters in the center console are being recalled. So good luck :blush:
  • satilongsatilong Member Posts: 1
    At 23,000 miles the ring and pinion had to be replaced. 15 months and 22,000 more miles it is out again. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A local U.S. newspaper is looking to interview buyers who recently purchased a half-ton truck and understand what factors you considered before making your purchase. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, February 6, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    the back seat outlet in my '04 F150 isn't working. I'm pretty sure I blew the fuse. After looking at the owners manual I can not find anything that reffers to this outlet.

Anyone know what fuse is for this outlet.

I know it's not the same as the cigarette lighter fuse, cause it works.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    AutoObserver.com

Well-known automotive writer Michelle Krebs is the senior editor and starts the new site with an article regarding the new Tundra taking on the Big 3, "Truck Wars: Toyota Challenges Detroit Loyalty"

Be sure to give it a read!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bitsy3bitsy3 Member Posts: 4
    There has been an oil leak from the transmission or so we thought. Changed pan gasket three times. Now it seems to becoming out between transmission and tranfer case. Is there a gasket between them. The oil is draining from the transmission, fuild level decreases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • connon1connon1 Member Posts: 15
    So much for being prepared. Had my 06 KR since April 06 and needed 4x4 today for the first time since I bought it and guess what? Try to engage and nothing.No clunk, light indicator on the dash, nada. Good thing for the limited slip . Granted it was only six inches here in No. Jersey but it was real weird hard pack snowand no plows in sight.Of course no techs at the dealer in a storm . I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I traded an 04 superduty that had nagging electrical problems for this ride and I hoped for better. Any similar experiences out there?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Any luck figuring it out? Shift-on-the-fly uses vaccuum to pull in the hubs, but if you're not even getting a light on the dash seems like you've got an electrical problem. If I remember correctly, there's a couple of fuses in a module under the hood associated with the 4x4. Your owner's manual can show you where they are.
  • jimmj43jimmj43 Member Posts: 17
    You don't say what year(s) your trucks are, but I had an older F-150 (as did a friend with a similar vintage and the same problem): hit a bump (even at a much lower speed) and the front wheels would wobble like mad until I slowed way down. The problem turned out to be a loose & badly worn pittman arm: the splines where the arm attaches to the steering box output shaft were worn/rounded beyond belief! Replaced arm = problem solved.
  • mstrasburgmstrasburg Member Posts: 1
    will a 302 bolt up to a 300 six 5 speed
  • connon1connon1 Member Posts: 15
    No ,I could not figure it out. After a week of trying , on the way to the dealer the problem resolved itself. Just decided to start engaging on demand. Of course being that it was now working all the dealers diagnostics could not pick up any problems. All the dealer could determine was a low battery situation so they charged it up and called me to come get it. I know this will happen again.I have had this unit 10 months and it still has less than 5000 on it.I love my Fords , but this gives me pause. This is the second now with mysterious electronic glitches .Plus, I still miss my 04 F250 diesel. It had issues also but what an awesome machine. Thanks for the input.
    The LCD readout dial has 2 "intensities": Dim for night driving which "happens" when the headlights are turned on, and bright for daytime driving (headlights off). My radio dial/clock refuses to come out of dim mode. Consequently I can't glance at the (preferred) clock display for a time-check, I have to pull up my sleeve to look at my watch. Short of swapping out the original equipment AM/FM Cassette radio, is there a way to kick-start the radio/clock display into behaving properly?
    The ignition switch apparently decided to disintegrate. With the truck running after a rescue mission to pick up and drop of some stranded friends, I shifted (auto tranny) to reverse and the engine died. ?? I put it in park and tried to restart. There was no "feel" of resistance in turning the ignition key, and, naturally, since it was nearly midnight, cold and windy, it wouldn't turn on the starter. But the heater blower kept running. I've had the truck less than a month and the feel of the ignition switch has seemed 'stiff', but I chalked it up to this crummy, cold weather. Until tonight. I went to the AutoZone site and found a text description (no line drawings or photos) of what's involved in changing the switch. It SEEMS entirely too easy! Experience suggests I should invite tips before I proceed.
    Anybody?
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Probably buying my F150 today. Just a basic model that will be used for commuting and household item hauling.

Does anyone have any experience with the V6/automatic combination? I test drove it extensively yesterday and it had plenty of power for what I need, just want to know about reliability.
  • sledfordsledford Member Posts: 1
    I parked my 1997 Ford F150 4.6L truck this morning.Smoke started coming from passenger side firewall.I opened the hood and smelled like a heater hose had busted.Took it to a mechanic and he said he would have to remove the head,that a hose had busted that ran through the head.Does this sound right? He wants $500.00 to fix it?
    I've already put almost 1000 miles on it, and I must say I'm impressed. For a stripped down truck with almost no luxury goodies, this is a very comfortable and pleasant truck even for long trips. Very smooth and quiet ride, and while the V6 is no rocket, its entirely adequate.
  • gedalsgedals Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever solve this problem ? I am having/hearing the same sound. Both pumps are running (depending on which tank is engaged.) I tried to replace/swap the relays under the hood, no change. The truck is 1994 I6, long bed. One day it went to the store fine, turned it off, then when i turned the key on I smelt electrical smell (heat.) Turned it off - now it won't stay running. It starts, idles rough, dies upon acceleration. Swapped out the inline fuel filter (that was a bear) and then someone suggested the TPS (throttle position sensor.) No change. Any ideas or answers on your end? Thx so much.
  • gedalsgedals Member Posts: 4
    seems like there are a few of these posts. i don't ever see an answer. My truck is 1994, I6, long bed. Took it to the store one day, turned it off, then had to repower it - but it wouldn't start and I smelt electrical heat. Limped it to a parking spot. Check engine light is ON. Changed the inline fuel filter (what a bear) and no change (though the gas had water in it and looked horrible.) Added HEET, fuel injector cleaner, and fresh gas - then towed truck home. Starts right up one day, won't start the next. Replaced TPS, no change. Noticed fuel pumps running, swapped relays around - no change. Two tanks. Whenever either tanks is engaged (switch) the appropriate pump keeps running (humming.) I hear the fuel make it to the engine area. Idle is rough when it does start, won't stay running in gear and exhaust is black color now. Any answers on this common dilemma?
  • papajaypapajay Member Posts: 2
    I just retired, and plan to pull a 7500 pound travel trailer pretty much all around the country. I have an F150 XLT (4.6) that I purchased new in 1997, and as a result am partial to the F150. I am considering a 2007 F150 Crew (5.4 V8) with tow package, however I keep hearing stories about poor mpg with the 5.4. I would consider a Dodge 1500 or Tundra if I can expect better mileage. Any ideas or suggestions? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks
    What about the new F250 super duty with the diesel? That should pull your trailer with little effort and do a lot better at the pump.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Doesn't matter who's truck you buy, the laws of Physics still apply - the gas mileage will go down when you're towing.

I'll second the other message - you'll get better mlieage towing if you get a diesel truck, the diesel develops much more torque at low rpms than a gasser so it's more efficent for towing. However, you'll end up paying more anyway. The diesel costs more up front, the fuel is more expensive than gas, and general maintenance on the diesel costs more than a gasser too.
    Just as a side note, the new 6.4 Diesel requires oil changes only every 10,000 miles under normal conditions.

Mark
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    '99 F150, reg cab,4wd,5 speed,v6 work truck.

Less than 12000 miles( it's a long irrelevant story).

Anyhow, on the way to the airport this am the rear end of the driveshaft connected to the rear diff twisted off and fell to the pavement.

Anybody know if Ford has any warranty on this or will help out.

Look like it was the result of salt , corrosion etc.

Inputs appreciated as always.
  • grandpa2fourgrandpa2four Member Posts: 1
    Hi. If you got the 4.2 V-6 with an auto trans., and are going to tow ANYTHING, be sure to put on the largest, biggest transmission oil cooler that you can find. You will NEVER regret doing that! and It WILL save you a lot of head ache later. Just some personal experience.
  • brucebennettbrucebennett Member Posts: 1
    Greetings to the Forum,
    If you have an answer to my problem please e-mail me direct as well as posting to the forum.
    I have a "90" F-150 4x4 w/302. It started overheating and the first thing I did was change the thermostat. Didn't help. Then changed the temp sensor. Didn't help. Took out the thermostat and ran the engine. Only got to about 1/4 mark on gauge. My son said it might be a blown head gasket between the cylinder and water jacket. Don't see any weird stuff in the water and don't have any unusual pressure in the radiator. I'm currently running the truck without the thermostat and although it runs cold, it seems to be happy otherwise. I know this is not a good way to run the engine for any length of time so I'm asking for your diagnostic help. Oh, I tried that stuff you put in the water to seal leaks. Didn't help. What now?
  • amyreyamyrey Member Posts: 1
    We just had the SECOND window fall out of our 2004 F150 yesterday. Regulator assembly on the first, I suspect the same problem on this new one. Two different windows. Yet the service dept rep says he doesn't think there's a problem. I'm glad to hear that you got somewhere with Ford on this repair and thank you for posting their number. I'll be calling them in a few minutes.
  • cleanerprocleanerpro Member Posts: 4
    Just test drove a 2007 F150 XLT Supercab. Liked most of what I saw. A little concerned about support of drivers seat. The back was too flat and I felt like I was going to slide to one side or the other during turns. Anyone have a similar problem. Did you get use to the seat?
  • eric2222eric2222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F150 XLT and have been having an issue with water collecting in the right cup holder in the center console. There is no evidence of where the water is coming from. Nothing dripping from the ceiling or seeping in from underneath as only the cup insert has water... when I remove it there is no wetness underneath. Has anyone ever heard of a similar situation or have any thoughts on what can be causing this?
  • robertplattbelrobertplattbel Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 Ford F150 Supercab XLT Lariat 4x4. It has 125,000 miles and is in perfect shape, no rust and runs like new. I've owned it since new. It is like factory fresh, except...

I recently replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses, serpenntine belt and idler, fan clutch and radiator, as well as the temp sender and gauge (earlier). The truck started overheating under load. The temp would rise fairly rapidly and then drop down just as dramaticaly. At first it was only when towing a 7500 lb trailer. Then it started doing it under hard acceleration, deceleration (engine braking) and even running at lower speeds (30-40 mph). Putting the engine in neutral and gunning the engine would make the problem go away, as would turning on the heater.

I tried removing the thermostat, and it ran colder (about 1/4 mark) and worked well. Under load, it would rise up to about halfway sometimes.

I tried the old thermostat, but the problem came back. My local mechanic did not have a head gasket tester. So I took this 12-year-old truck to the (ugh) Ford dealer. They put a new radiator cap and tstat in and ran it. According to their "diagnostic computer" the engine itself is not overheating (whatever that means) and it is not the head gasket.

They are thinking it may be clogged catalytic converters (???). According to the book, the cats are good for 100,000 miles, so they should be replaced. They are $1200 from the dealer (ouch!). Or, the manager suggests punching them out, as a 1995 does not require emissions testing in NY.

Jury still out on this one. The mechanic says it feels like it is losing power (perhaps) and the cats have to go.

Suggestions? Ideas? I'll keep you posted as to what finally works out... I can't wait to see the bill on this one. He must have six shop hours into it already.

--Bob.
  • robertplattbelrobertplattbel Member Posts: 4
    The dealer called today. They replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. No go. They tested the truck and said the engine is not overheating, according to their diagnostic computer, but that the temperature is going up (whatever that means). They finally put in the dye fluid in the cap deal, to test for head gasket leaks, etc., and it turned barely yellow. He said usually it turns bright yellow when a head gasket is leaking. There is no coolant in the exhaust, nor mixing of coolant and oil.

He thought maybe a minor head gasket leak (my theory also) that is leaking exhaust gases into the coolant under load, but not sucking coolant back into the cylinder. So far, the total bill is about $200, including an oil change, state inspection, fixing a leaking drain plug, and rotating the tires. It would be about another $800 to pull the heads and replace the head gaskets, etc.

I told them to go ahead and do it. We'll see if this fixes the problem. The truck otherwise runs like new.
  • danny_boidanny_boi Member Posts: 1
    hey people well i have a question if anybody knows..i own a 1999 Ford F150 witha Triton V8 and it has 202 horsepower....and i wanted to know if there was any way i could make it gett its full 360 horspower...because i want to transform it into a Ford SVT Lightning but i have to know if i can get the full 1999 Lightning Horsepower witch is 360...can somebody help me out...
  • cleanerprocleanerpro Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 with the 4.2 V6 and am satisfied. The new model of the F150 (starting in 04) is about 800 lbs. heavier. My truck has 94,000 miles on it. Very reliable.
    Good luck with your new truck
    the Lightning uses a super charger and DOHCs to get to 360 hp. So you'll probably have to spend more than your truck is worth.

Mark.
  • segel10segel10 Member Posts: 8
    My 150 is rated at 7050Lbs and the door jam states not to exceed 1713 for max payload. I am pulling an ULTA Lite 5th wheel without problems with the 5.4L and 3.73 rear end. My question is the weight. Weighted , the rear axle is 83Lbs below the GAWR and the total weight of both is only 23Lb below the GVWR. Can I safly put airbags to on this truck to provide a better safty margin? And, with GAWR's of 3600 for the front and 3850 on the rear, why is the GVWR 7050 when these total to 7450?? I am looking a a 250, but the door jam only show I would gain about 150 lbs from the 1713 I already have. Not much for the additional truck size.
  • pat2171pat2171 Member Posts: 1
    vinny, I have the same truck and I get the same problem with my head liner, it drives me crazy. I wish I had a solution for you but I don't. If someone does please let us know...
  • airnautiqueairnautique Member Posts: 2
    The lexol should save your leather. I had the same concern with my 2001 F-150. The seats are doing just fine.

KCAir at Personafile
  • eliotmeeliotme Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 F150 Lariet Supercrew with 66,250 miles.

While on vacation a couple of weeks ago it blew a spark plug out of the head. This occured, not while driving, but when the truck was started. It could have been a very serious situation if it had happened at speed in traffic. Not to mention the potential for fire.

Both the servicing dealer (not my home dealer) and Ford Customer Care mislead me to beleive that the problem was an isolated incident and was caused by my home dealer not properly instaling replacement spark plugs.

As it turns out the spark plugs were never replaced in my truck (they were the factory installed plugs) and that certain Ford motors with aluminum heads have a problem with spitting out spark plugs. Ford has ignored the problem.

For additional info go to:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/ford_techs_spark_plugs.html

I have been a Ford fan for 40+ years; however may never even consider another Ford because of this experience and Ford's attitude about this problem.
  • little35little35 Member Posts: 1
    I have to replace the brakes AGAIN on my truck. Does anyone have a better rotor/pad combo that they had better luck with than the OEMs?
  • treehuggerjaketreehuggerjake Member Posts: 14
    I have not owned a pickup in about 15 years, and that one was 10 years old when I let go of it.

I am considering purchasing a 2007 pickup, half ton. I need the larger double cab, full double cab. I will need to use the back seat often for kids and dogs. I want the truck to be able to tow 7,500 pounds, perhaps a little more. I would prefer as good gas mileage as possible. I want the truck to last for years and across the 100,000 mile mark without major repairs.

Should I wait for 2008 to see if problems with the new 2007s have been corrected?

If I purchase this year, what would someone suggest?
    The F150 wasn't new for 2007. It came out in 2004, so the bugs are already long gone and you should have no trouble crossing 100,000 miles in one.

Gas mileage, as on ANY 1/2 ton pickup, is underwhelming, however. I get 20 MPG on the highway with my V6 long bed 2007, which is probably about as good as you can hope for in any 1/2 ton, give or take an MPG here or there.
  • treehuggerjaketreehuggerjake Member Posts: 14
    Thanks lawman. I have test driven the F150 once and liked the room and the general feel.

What other trucks did you consider, and why did you pick the F150?
  • saab2saab2 Member Posts: 6
    I wish I knew how to get F150 brakes to last any length of time. I've had a lot of F series 4x4s. Brakes, and also front universals, are an ongoing pain in the rectum with these trucks.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    My '04 F150 needs a new tire or two. the size 235 70R 17 is totally unique to Ford only. I'm finding it very difficult to go anywhere but Ford for the Hankook replacement.

Michelen, Dunlop, Bridgestone - have nothing for this truck!

Was Ford trying to corner the market on this fix? Anyone found a better tire option out there?
  • mackie88mackie88 Member Posts: 3
    Just traded in a 2005 f250 6.0 Super Duty for a '07 F150 4 door Lariat(4X4). Couldn't be happier after a 1,000 mile roundtrip to go to a college graduation and loaded it with a dorm room full of stuff and furniture. It is QUIET(5.4 Triton), smooth riding, comfortable, roomy, efficient, etc.
    The fit and finish is great. This is our fourth Ford product. We've owned a '96 Explorer, '99 F250 7.3 Super Duty and the '05 F-250 6.0(problem truck).
    rayglasscock@yahoo.com
  • basssvt440basssvt440 Member Posts: 1
    I'm tired of debating back and forth with these RAM and SILVERADO owners.Time to talk with people that don't constantly disagree. I have a Ford lightning for about a year 2003 with 43,000 miles. Want to here about some suggestons for performance mods.