Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Ford Super Duty F-250

skv78skv78 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ford
I ordered a Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6 weeks ago, only to find out now that production is suspended until Feb. 2002. Is this really true?

Comments

• wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Hi,

I don't see any news about Superduty production suspensions at http://www.blueovalnews.com/

What options did you order? There were problems associated with heated seats on Lariats and Advanced security group - auto lock doors with std. trannies earlier in model year, thought they were all fixed by now.

If there's a snag with one of the options you ordered, the factory could put your truck on a hold until it's resolved. Go talk with your Dealer, he should've gotten some info on what's causing the hold. If you can't wait for truck it may be possible to have them delete or change the offending option (if you can live without it) and speed truck delivery. Otherwise you wait.

Ford had supply problem with wheels on '01 '350 cc XLT I ordered - changed order for more expensive deluxe aluminum alloy wheels and truck came in on time.

Hope this helps

• jmgaitanjmgaitan Member Posts: 5
    My husband is interested in a BIG truck....Why? I have no idea. We are travelers, but pull nothing of great weight. We do have 2 motorcycles that we occasionally haul or put in the bed. I would be fine with the 2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab, but my husband wants to go to the 2002 F250 Crew Cab SB with the auto deisel engine. Can anyone give me some insight into these trucks and should they be bought by a family like ourselves who are not got to WORK them as they are built to be....Thanks.
  • bugwizrbugwizr Member Posts: 50
    Let him get what he wants. If you are lucky, he will let the family ride with him.

Some things defy explanation. It is more than transportation. Kind of like a Rolex is more than a watch- it's jewelry.

Be happy that you do not have to work them as they are built to be. It can be an option for you. In the meantime, if it is important to him, cancel the opinion poll. IMHO
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Most people who buy sport motorcycles, which are essentially street legal racers, never race or see a track. Same goes for sports cars. People get them because they want them, not need them. I think that's whats going on with the truck. There may even be a few things things that you want that he "doesn't understand why".

By the way he has excellent taste in trucks.
  • white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    I purchased a new F-250 in september & never looked back. I love this truck...really..lol. I did look at the F-150 & it would have been more than enough truck for me but, since I was buying a truck, I wanted something that could handle all my truck & towing needs in the unseen future. Plus I think the F-250 is the best looking truck out there. Here is a list of options & add-on's on mine : F-250 black 4x4 sc swb off-road electric start, 6 disc changer, tinted glass, bug guard, Rhino liner, Hard folding tonnue cover.
    It's not that I don't agree with him wanting it, because I actually think it is the best looking truck to choose from myself. We have looked at them ALL! Have not missed a beat it that arena. The Ford F250's are definitely the meanest truck out there.

It's just that I have read statements like "don't mistake it for a car" which I take as meaning it is a work truck not a passenger vehicle. I've read where it does not ride nice unless it is loaded down. Kind of like an SUV/1/2 ton truck/van can haul but is still intended to be a passenger vehicle and rides like one. I have heard that the 3/4 tons don't "last" like they would if you don't "use" them. Is this true? We expect to have this truck for a long time. I just don't want to waste a a brand new truck for a desire I guess if the more likely option is a 1/2 ton vehicle.

As far as the comment above from "jcmdie", well you are exactly right about having race bikes but never seeing the track and I guess that IS what is going on here! I never thought of it that way! Thanks for opening my eyes to it. My husband handed down to me our 1999 Copper Suzuki GSXR1300 (Hyabusa) and it only saw the drag track once with him and will most likely never see it with me. I guess you hit the nail on the head!

And I guess to top it all off is that once you get the price set on the XLT's F150 you might as well go for a couple thousand more to get the big truck, right? They really aren't far off in price. Trust me guys, I am not totally against the idea of getting the bigger truck. You definitely get more for about the same money.

Okay, so the next questions are:.....1)should we special order or look until we find what we want on a lot? We are in no hurry. He is is Bosnia right now and our 2000 trade in vehicle is in storage waiting on his return. 2a)I am almost postive we will go with the diesel engine. What "extras" should we be sure to get for our purposes of using this truck? (IE - I notice things on the list like double alternators, axle ratios, and what not) Are these a necessity? 2b)Are there certain extras that a diesel in no way requires but you owners have found you just can't live without? We have never owned a diesel but know it is the better option in the bigger trucks. Won't be doing any snow plowing here in Louisiana which we would need the gas engine for! 3)Do you care of a diesel any different than a gas truck? 4)Are there any REAL GOOD interent sites specifically on this truck alone that we should be sure to take a look at?

Sorry for all the female nagging questions guys. Hang in here with me! Thanks so much.
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Don't get an F250 unless you really need it for towing or hauling. I have a F250 supercab long bed diesel and only use it a couple times a month (mostly just to run it) because it rides so rough, is noisey (diesel clatter) and is a pain to find a parking spot. I need it to tow a large heavy boat, but will always drive my car if I have a choice. If you need a truck, go as small and light as you can. Your wallet will be happier to. Good luck. Eric
    Don't wanna start a diesel vs. gasers flame war here, but I'm expressing my opinions. I've got an '01 F-350 V10, CC, SRW, LWB, 4x4. I've driven Power Stroke Diesels, and considered buying one, but decided they weren't for me. They're wonderful if you tow heavy and a lot. They get much better mileage than gaser when towing too, moderately better unloaded too. The Powerstroke will probably run 300K miles before it needs to be overhauled and diesel's a bit cheaper than gas in the North East. Truck'll have moderately higher resale value with a diesel.
    Diesel's got its drawbacks too. An oil change on a Power Stroke is 11 quarts plus. The oil filters cost $10-12 at Walmart (more at Dealer). You've got to put an additive in your coolant to prevent cavitation and prevent uneven heating of cylinder walls; need to check it periodically too.
    You've gotta constantly be on the lookout for sub-par fuel - you need to check for water and drain it from your fuel filter. Water in diesel can get you stuck a lot sooner than water in gasoline. If you're out in the sticks sometimes you can't find a station that has diesel (, or if they do have it they sell very little, so its old and you probably don't wanna put it in your truck anyway.) A lot of guys put an additive to fuel to improve its lubricity as well. Diesel fuel gells in cold weather (probably not a concern for you in La.), folks up north need block heaters to make for easier starts in winter. Diesel fuel itself stinks - don't get it on your clothes, and especially don't walk in it, makes a mess on the truck carpets - yeah gasoline smells bad too, but at least you can clean it quicker.
    As far as driveablilty goes, it's different. You "should" wait for 15-20 seconds before starting to allow glow plugs to warm up, so diesel starts with minimal cranking. ( My buddy usually then sits another couple of minutes to allow things to warm up "properly" - but he's married to his truck.) Also, you should probably get an AIC (Automatic Idle Controller) if you let truck idle for long periods (> 10 min.), because normal idle speed on Powerstroke is too slow to run accessories (like A/C)for long time without running down batteries. Also if you idle for long periods (at slow idle), the motor doesn't maintain optimal operating temperature and you can get carbon build-ups on valves and pistons (called wet stacking) that can mess up engine over time. If you've pushed the truck hard and it's hot, you should let it cool down at idle for 5 or 10 minutes to prevent carbon buildup in the turbo.
    Personally, I don't like the exhaust smell. Bothers me at traffic light with windows down. Also, while Powerstroke is quieter than a CAT or a Cummins diesel, you can't hold a conversation standing next to truck while it's running (Ford does do a good job sound proofing cab - don''t notice noise at all on highway). Your neighbors won't like you, if you start truck at 5 am.
    Now my best friend has an '00 F350 PSD. I've driven it and it'll pull 10,000 lbs like nothing - better than my V10 up a hill, and diesel tranny doesn't downshift. It's a wonderful vehicle - but for his needs, not mine. He's in love with his truck, and considers all of the "problems" listed above to be just a labor of love. He's used to the added maintenance, and added cost. He considers diesel exhaust to be perfume, and will roll windows just down to listen to the motor. I don't think he uses the radio except for the weather reports! He puts 30K miles on per year, and always tows a 6000lb work trailer or 10,000 lb 5-ver on vacations. It's a great truck for him.
    I have the V10, I only tow 7900 lbs max maybe 8-10 times, and drive less than 10K per year. I love the power it has when I put my foot into it, and since it isn't my daily driver I don't mind getting 10-12 mpg. It's the perfect truck - for me.

Just my opinion.

PS. Compare size of Crew Cab between F150 S-Crew and F250. Night and day! Maybe ride isn't as comfortable as S-Crew, but I wanted a "big" truck and I love the one I picked.
    Thanks WPalkowski. That is exactly the kind of information I wanted to know. I didn't think you just drive a diesel off the lot but had no proof for the hubby! He is able to do those kind of things to a truck, but he does not have the willpower, I don't believe, to keep it up. He sure hasn't done the basic maintenance on our regular gas vehicles so don't know why he'd change when it came to a diesel. Thanks so much for the info. This is exactly what we need to know to weigh our decision.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Well put Walter. Even with the various drawbacks you mentioned, I'm loving the PSD. Somehow they can become a labor of love. This is my daily driver therefore mileage was a concern, towing was not. We happen to enjoy, yeah right, the highest fuel prices in the nation, still $1.49 at red "T." Only one disagreement with your post, engine oil capacity is 15 qts. Not correcting you at all, just amazes me how much this thing holds. This equates to 50 bucks at three to four thousand mile intervals if the dealer changes the oil. Just another increased cost of ownership.

Good part, mine has no cackle. "Yet."

take care,
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Well put, I agree with almost all your points. In my truck, the engine noise is very loud (not as bad as the Dodge, as you noted) at all highway speeds, and yes, I do wake the neighbors up at 5 AM (back when I used it as my daily commuter). Where I live, finding diesel has never been a problem (it's usually a little more expensive than gas around here) and I've never had any water in the fuel filter. Some other items to consider. 1) Don't park it in your garage unless you like diesel soot all over everything 2) You probably won't park it in your garage because of the oil leaks. 3) You won't park it in your garage because it's to damn big! My next truck will have a gas engine, probably the V10.

Eric
    Thanks guys. You are all making this decision a lot more easy. I pasted some of the info off to my husband. I think it is opening his eyes too.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    When I was looking for a truck, my needs say that I only really needed an F150, but I really liked the look, extra interior space, and larger size of the SuperDuty.. I do very little 'hauling'. Mostly its just an MX bike or 2 in the bed every Sunday.

1)should we special order or look until we find what we want on a lot?
    - Sure, why not get exactly what you want. Also you can get just as good of a price, usually better, when you order..

2a b)Diesel or not:
    If your not really hauling heavy, then I find it hard to justify a diesel.. Others have elaborated on this very well..

3)Do you care of a diesel any different than a gas truck? 4)Are there any REAL GOOD interent sites specifically on this truck alone that we should be sure to take a look at?
    - yes, diesels do cost more to maintain.. They last a really long time though.. You can visit www.ford-diesel.com, but be warned that the vast majority of folks there think that anyone who doesn't choose a diesel is an idiot..

I chose a 00' F250 xlt SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp, 4.10LS..
    I use it as a daily driver just like everyone else with F150's. Every day I drive it I know that I made the right choice. On average I get better MPG's that the F150 with 5.4L (mostly because of the 5sp). The ride is more 'firm' but I do prefer the road feel of the SD than the F150.. Also, the 4x2 SuperDuty sits as high as the 4x4 F150.. Ok, I'm shallow and like the look of 4x4's, but I'm also a realist and know that in Raleigh NC you don't need one.

You'll really notice that the interior is MUCH wider than the F150.. The seats are wider, and the center armrest is wider..
    "Ok, I'm shallow and like the look of 4x4's, but I'm also a realist and know that in Raleigh NC you don't need one. "

So how much snow do you have sitting in your driveway this morning? ;-)
  • pipesmokerpipesmoker Member Posts: 23
    Back in September I bought a 2002 Super Duty 4x4 Lariet SWB with V-10, white with tan interior. Yes, I missed out on all the 0% financing. Typical of my luck. Thus far, I love this truck.

Now, I had no need for a BIG truck. For instance I do not tow anything but a small utility trailer. It's not a work truck. I'm a business manager...work inside an office. I drove lots of other vehicles (almost bought the Tundra and gave considerable thought to purchasing the GMC 2500HD), but for just a few thousand more I now have lots more truck than I would have had in the Tundra. The only aggravting thing that has bothered me somewhat is the inability to park the F-250. With this truck you definitely need plenty of ROOM to manuver. Prior to purchasing the F-250 I had owned a GMC Suburban for 4-years. I was use to the roominess of the Suburban and the "feel" of driving a BIG vehicle. In the end, that's why I went with the F-250 over the Tundra.

People talk and fuss about the gas milage of the V-10. Granted I'm a conservative driver, but I'm getting 14++ mpg on the road and 12++ - 13++ mpg range in city traffic driving. I simply could not justify the excess cost for PSD. Not to mention all the negatives that have been cited above. Since I'm not hauling and pulling a load a V-10 serves my purpose much better.

Since September I have 5,000++ miles and have had no problems. First oil change was a breeze at the local Express Oil.

As for me, I'll likely drive this truck 3-4 years and then I'll be ready for something else... maybe a newer model F-250.

Pipesmoker
    Dothan, Alabama
    I just love ford trucks. I think they are the best built truck for your money. My wife & I had a 98' expedtion for two years problem free , never took it to the dealer for anything.

When that lease was up we purchased a explorer sport trac & she loves it. We have had it since april 2000 and no problems.

So in september , I bought a F-250 sc 4x4 & just think that ford has done a great job on this truck.

I still have a 99' dodge 4x4, What a piece of JUNK !!

I have had it to the dealer 19 times in 34 months, I can't wait to get rid of it.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    In Sept, I down sized to a 02 XLT Super Crew 4x4 from a Y2K Super Duty Lariat Crew 4x4 (truly the best looking truck on the road)I had my SD for 2 years, it served it's purpose, it took me hunting to Colorado,fishing in Michigan, numerous home projects and local hunting & fishing excursions. Did I really need it, no but I liked driving it and sitting above everyone. You need a football field to turn around in, cleared my 7' high garage door by only an inch or 2, plus the length may cause a problem in your garage, mine fit with a foot to spare. Parking.........well lets say...you needed space, it's not something you can put in a small lot, drive thru's are almost out of the question. Small boat ramps, aren't for the weak of heart. A jaunt thru the woods is iffy. Kids flocked around it, lots of ohhs and ahs even from adults.

When the interest rates fell, (during which time the ford dealer and myself wasn't even on speaking terms, I decided I was going to trade)I looked around, did my home work, looked at inventories online. Found a differant dealer did research on them, also found an 02 sitting on there lot, but at that time I wanted an 01 for the interest rates, nobody would deal on an 01, but this dealer would deal on an 02, so I said ok.

Do I miss my SD, yes at times....I had buckets in it, now I have a bench, with my XLT, I have the same options I had on my SD, except for leather, plus I can seat 6, gained a moonroof..I can park in a small parking lot, I still sit high...can get thru the local Micky D's I just pack a little less hunting & fishing, leaving the extra stuff at home, which with the larger bed, I packed but never used. I'm tall but not wide...so I don't really miss the extra wide interior. (SD has the largest interior). The SCrew you can order the rear entertaiment center for the kids.

This is just my opinion....I have driven the best of both worlds the SD CC 4x4 and the Super Crew 4x4.
    I am glad to see this particular thread bumping up the line here. We need info on these trucks!

I appreciate EVERYONE'S comments. I especially liked those from Bess and bowhuntwi. Thanks Bess for answering all my questions! That is the info I need - the everyday driving, maintaining truck kind of info.

We are not in question at all as to whether we must get a 4 x 4 or not. We like how tall they are and all and they do look great, but just don't need it here at all. I sent a lot of the diesel info to my husband and now he is definitely going to the gas side but still wants the 250 rather than the 150. I love the moonroof option in the 150 (we have a moonroof now in our car which we would trade) but we like the solid wide bench in the 250 rather than the 20-40 seat thing in the 150.

Oh, not that it matters and is a funny question, but would my husband be lost in a 250? He is 5'4" tall!
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Doubt your dear husband will notice a difference between the 150 and 250 related to his height, at least while driving. If you go 4X4, he most likely will want running boards or steps. I am 6'1" and the step up for me without boards is a stretch. I also inherited my dads long Texan legs.

Do diligence comparing the 150 and 250. My personal belief is the value is much better in the 250. My last truck was a 150 which was really enjoyable. However it coudn't hold a candle to the 250. Again though, it's all about personal preferrences and needs.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    You were wondering if your husband would get lost in a 250? I have an F-350 PSD with the 6-speed. I am 5'9" tall. I have the seat about midway back on its tracks so I can push the clutch pedal to the floor without stretching, (I'm sure you are leaning toward the automatic with your gasser, but bear with me for a second), in that position, the lower convex mirrors on the factory trailer mirrors have me looking out over the fenders with no visibility of the road. Everything else works fine with my height.

I have an rv that I pull most weekends, March through October, the rest of the time its a daily driver. I think everyone else has done a great job of listing the pros and cons of the diesel. The diesel is a labor of love, and yes I do roll down the windows just to hear it run and to smell the exhaust. There's nothing like the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning or the sound of that turbo singing between gears!!!

BTW, get the cab steps. My 5'2" wife loves them.
    I'm also only 5'4. I do have the factory cab steps, which really serve 2 purposes. a. really useful for the step up.. b. protect the body from rock chips that happen to get past the mud flaps..

Also, I also only have a 4x2.. What I was indicating earlier was that the SuperDuty 4x2 sits higher than many 4x4's out there.

I'm able to go through most restaurant drive-thru's (supercab short bed). But when parking I do find it much easier to back into spaces (seem to get a tigher turn angle when backing up), and I do park a little farther away so I can search for a bigger spot.. The SD's have a way of filling up a parking spot or garage..

Wpalkowski:
    Yep, I have well over 10" in my driveway (and on the road). I live in the boonies where they won't plow for several weeks.. The limited slip rear diff, little weight in the back (say 300 to 500lbs), and decent tires would get me where I need to go.. Currently what holds my SD back in the snow is I have highway tires, not all-terrain tires.
    Today, instead of the SuperDuty, I took our Ford Escape (4x2 but front wheel drive), out.. It has decent tires and ground clearance and I didn't have any problems with it in the snow either..
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    http://www.picturetrail.com of my Super crew, plus still got pictures of the Super Duty....check them out......
  • tjsusntjsusn Member Posts: 2
    The discussion has been great. I want the F250, don't really "need" it but... Looking for realistic mpg figures on F250 4x4 SWB, CC with the 5.4 V8. I plan on getting the auto transmission. I'm tyring to talk myself out of the diesel in favor of the 5.4 V8. Appreciate your insight.
    I have V10, CC, 4x4. Have corresponded with others who have same set up that you want. F250, Crew Cab is a big, heavy beast. It's even heavier with the 4x4 gear. Some have complained that truck in that configuration is too much for 5.4. Other's with 4x2, say that 5.4 is quite adequate.
    If you go with the V8 and 4x4 - at least get the 4.10 rear end. You might lose 1 mpg or so compared to 3.73 rear, but at least you have the V8 working in its best power range.
    If you carry a load or pull moderate weight, V10 can actually get better mileage than 5.4L because it doesn't have to work as hard and can stay in lower gear.
    My recommendation, if you can find this truck on a dealer's lot, take it for a good long test drive and see how it feels. It may be fine for you. (My Dealer let me have one for a couple of hours, and unbeknownst to him, I beat it home, hooked up my trailer and dragged it up some hills. I was trying to figure out whether I wanted 3.73 or 4.30 rear end. I special order the truck and went with 3.73.)
    Just my $0.02.
    I'm one of those that wpalkowski mentioned who as a 4x2 Superduty SC with the 5.4L and 5sp and think the engine is just fine for that truck. I do have the 4.10LS rear, and I think this is a great gear for this configuration.
    I average 15.5 mpgs in mixed city/highway driving, but my truck is very different from the one your looking at. With your heavier truck (CC), 4x4 + auto tranny your going to average around 13 or 14 in mixed driving..
  • tj_610tj_610 Member Posts: 132
    OK, I'm new here. Reason? I have been cruising SUV and minivan boards for months. Now that wife has her Odyssey on order, I can change gears to MY next vehicle. Here's the deal.

I am like many other posters here. Do I need an F250? No. Do I drool every time I see one? Yes. Here are my questions, some of which have been partially addressed already.

Opposite problem of some folks here. I am 6'10". For similar cost, I think I will be more comfy in the long run in the 250 than a 150. Comments?

I am leaning towards 4WD with shift-on-the-fly option. (I also live in the Raleigh-Durham area, bess!) I am relocating closer to NC mountains in July, and I want to be able to get to work no matter what nature brings. If I intend this to be a daily driver, will I be happier with the V10 just for performance reasons? (acceleration, passing, etc.) Or is the V8 enough for a Supercab 4WD auto-trans? The diesel is out of the picture for me. I am not "car guy" enough for it, and don't own a boat...yet! LOL. BTW gas mileage is only minor concern, just want the best truck for years.
    I think you'll be more comfortable in the SuperDuty as it does have a larger cabin than the F150..

When thinking about engine choice, it's hard to say.. Back in late 99 when I was test driving SuperDutys, I really didn't feel that much of a difference between the V10 w/3.73 and the 5.4L w/4.10, but the V10 was slightly better. It's hard to get a good feel with automatics, which is why I prefer manual trannys anyway.

Since then, Ford has improved both engines so who knows how it would feel today. Funny, in 2001 the 5.4L was rated at 260 hp, and in 2002 Edmunds claims its 255hp now.. The torque remained the same. They also claimed to have improved the shifting with the 6.8L in 2002..
    You mentioned you were cruising the minivan and SUV boards too..
    For our other vehicle, we recently traded our 99' Windstar for an 01 Escape with the 3.0L v6..
    The Escape is an absolute blast to drive.. It is alot quicker than the Windstar (and my SuperDuty), handles awsome, is very drivable for long trips like family vacations and easier to drive than the Windstar, with less fatigue. My wife very much prefers the Escape over the Windstar too.

I have to have a pickup truck because of my hobbies and of all of the pickups out there, the SuperDuty best fits my wants and needs.. But if I really didn't need a pickup truck, I'd probably have an Escape for myself.

Also, I have decent contacts at both Capital Ford and Crossroads Ford if your interested in working with reasonable sales people.
    I got a new black F-250 in september. It is a super cab 4x4 5.4 liter with the 3:73 rear. I think it has plenty of power for everyday driving & I only tow about 4000 lbs max so I know I'll never have a problem. It just flipped 4000 miles & my mpg's are about 13/city & 15/highway at about 70mph.
    Most people do not even use there trucks to there full capacity so, don't waste your money if your not gonna use all the power of a v-10 or diesel.

Sometimes people let there ego's get the best of them.

In other words buy what you need & not what you want.... unless you have money to burn...lol
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Using your logic you should have got a F150 6 cylinder, it'll tow 4000 pounds ez. LOL!!!
    An F150 could easily handle all of the hauling/towing needs I currently have as well.. I opted for the SuperDuty for the increased interior space, taller, wider, higher stance, 5sp availability, and the desire to own the best looking pickup on the road (imo).
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I know that!!! I was ribbing on the fact that he said don't buy more than you need. If we believed that we would all be driving Kia's, nobody would own recreational vehicles, we'd all live in 1 room shacks with outhouses. Ok, I know that's extereme but do any of us REALLY buy "JUST what we need?"

Certainly nobody "needs" a super Duty to pull 4000 pounds. Like you said, it's what we WANT!!!
    Yes, you are all correct. It is about want, not need. At my height, what I NEED is to be chauffered around in the back seat of a Bentley. But what I WANT is an awesome truck with a blue oval on the front of it LOL. In my brain, I think an F-150 should be OK for me. But in my heart, I think the tallest guy around should have the biggest truck. So there!!! Maybe I'll just get a Unimog and cruise around. Kidding aside, if there was more of a price difference, I might reconsider. But I'll take the "unnecessary" towing power, size, and lower mpg as a trade off for a little more leg room. Did I mention I've been driving a 1988 Civic for six years?

Seriously, thanks for the comments re:8 vs. 10, white250 and bess. BTW, why "white250" if you're truck is black? Just curious. Anyway, I will probably just test drive each engine and see what I think. Again, I'm not considering the diesel. Just not justified for my expected usage.

My best friend bought a Ram 2500 3 yrs ago with the 8 liter V-10 (9 mpg), and it's been in the shop continuously. But he does love the power of that Viper engine. In his words, he can pass everything on the road...except a gas station.

Bess, thanks for the recs on Escape. We checked out some SUV's, and basically decided that in order to get equivalent interior room and versatility to a minivan, we would need to get at least Expidition sized. That would have been fine with me, but my wife did not want that big a vehicle. So Odyssey for the wife it is. I am actually a little cramped in the driver's seat, but less so than in mid-sized SUV like Explorer and 4Runner. I told wife I would sleep curled up in the 3rd row on long trips. ;-)

Hey, leave Kia alone! At least they have the gumption to put up that warranty. How about Daewoo as the butt of car jokes?
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    Hello All I am new to this board. I am in the process of purchasing my first new vehicle. I am getting a F250 SC SWB 5.4 auto 3.73LS. I drag race a VW and the total weight of my trailer is about 4500 lbs. I looked at the F150 and even though it would fit my needs, I do not really like the F150. They are too NASCAR looking in their front fenders, and that extra 2 inches added to the back of the cab simply looks ugly in my eyes. I think FORD makes the best trucks and didn't even consider a Chevy.
  • tjsusntjsusn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all for the info. I think I'm sold on the 5.4...I'll look more at the 3.73 and 4.10, as well as the manual tranny. Thanks again.
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    A friend of mine has a '94 F-250 4x4 supercab long bed and he loves it. It is a great truck, reliable, comfortable and nice looking. His is white with grey cloth interior and the 5.8l (I think) engine.

Depending on the options you get the price can vary greatly from just a few thousand over the price of an F-150 to many thousands over the F-150. You will get quite a bit more truck though and I think it's worth it even if you don't need that much truck.

Be aware though, it does ride quite a bit firmer than the F-150. My friends truck is a gut jiggler on the freeway.
    I'm only 6'5", but I don't fit into a lotta those little sports cars that are normally associated with a mid-life crisis (I'm 43). I had same ideas as you and decided I liked going down the road in biggest pickup around. (There's a big difference in Cab size between Superduties and F-150, especially CC). My wife's got an '00 Odyssey. If I were any taller, it wouldn't be comfortable on long trips. You say you're just "a little cramped in the driver's seat" at 6'10?
    AS far as Pickups go..if you're worried about having to get out no matter what - get the 4x4, but also get a limited slip rear end. That way you always have at least 3 wheels spinning. Put 500+ lbs ballast in the bed and the only thing better than you on the road will be a HumVee.
    Proof: On Feb night last year in CT. we got ~18" of snow, and neighbor's wife went into Labor about 2 weeks early. They couldn't even get their Subaru 4wd outta the garage, Hubby buried the front end in a drift. Ambulance got stuck 4 miles away and was waiting for a plow to come help make them a path. I used to be a paramedic so neighbors called me for help with visions of a home delivery.
    Contractions were still more than 5 minutes apart, but Mom was diabetic, so they decided they really wanted to try for hospital in case baby had problems. My truck was only about a month old at the time, so I was a bit nervous as I hadn't tried it in deep stuff yet. But we had full gas tank, blankets, towels, first aid kit, and shovels, so we decided to give it a try. Turned out the roughest part was getting up the hill in my own driveway (could actually feel LS kick in) as I pushed snow drifts aside with my front end. Truck was great with stock all-terrain Firestones, we made in it to hospital in about 45 minutes (instead of usual 15).
    Mom delivered about half hour later, and baby needed to be monitored for a day in ICU. My truck came out of it the worst. Mom's membranes ruptured in back seat - all the amniotic fluid soaked the upholstery and carpet. It was an interesting odor - new truck and "something" else for about a week. As a thankyou the proud parents gave me a gift certificate to have truck detailed. I wanted them to name baby after me, but they didn't think Walt was a good name for their daughter.
  • mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the laughs wpalkowski. That is a funny birthing story.

I've enjoyed reading the posts in this group. I bought a 2001 F250 SC Diesel back in June. I am constantly being asked by friends to help move people. (That is one reason I bought it. The other is so I didn't have to ask the wife if I can have the car to drive to work.) I've pulled heavy trailers for these moves. The last move I hit a wood speaker box in the middle of the highway that I couldn't avoid with pulling a trailer and not seeing it until the car infront of me swerved at the last minute. It broke the outside steel wall of the tire ($148). I would have hate to hit it with anything smaller. The box probably would have hit the front bumper. First damage to the pickup. Very sad dark day.

I never know when I'll need the power, so I went with the diesel. Besides, why buy such a beast and not get the engine that makes it sound like one too? I probably didn't need it, but sure wanted it. A couple years ago, both my wife and I swore we'd never buy a diesel. But my minde was changed.

I changed the oil myself at 1000 and it was about $48 (that includes the new filter wrench I had to buy for $10.) Just put a 5 gallon bucket underneath it without jacking it up at all. Getting ready to change it again now that I've finally hit 5000.
    I am looking for aftermarket heated trailer tow mirrors for my new F-250.

I just found out that the excursion comes with these. I don't know why ford does'nt make this available for the F-250. I,m thinking that they are the same mirror.

Does anyone have any insight on this ?
    And good advice! Thanks for the post, Walt. "Walterina" has a nice feminine ring to it, though...
    Thanks for the limited slip tip. I was leaning that way, nice to hear confirmation. How do those all-terrains feel on normal pavement? If you have ridden in an F250 with the all seasons, is there a noticeable difference in noise/ride? I'm not the kind of guy to want to mess with snow tires, etc., so I thought the AT's might suit me best, also.
    As for potential amniotic fluid disasters, I better get the Lariat with leather for easy cleanup! LOL
    In regards to fitting in the Ody, I was laughing after reading your comment. Let's just say I am very used to cramped quarters, and if you saw me getting into my '88 Civic, you'd think you were at the circus! When I get my truck, I may change my way of thinking but right now everything is relative to one's experience, I guess.
    I've had good luck with OEM Firestone SteelTeks (sp?). (Not sure what's on 2002s now.) I'm mostly on the road, but maybe 10-15% of my driving is on unimproved surfaces ( construction sites) where AT is needed. I'm not going to do any serious off roading or mud bogging in a CC, long bed so they fit my needs. They held their own last winter, but I used to live in snow belt of Central NY, so I've had lot more experience 4-wheeling in snow than most folks. On road's fine, a bit of a "thrumming" noise > 35 MPH, but not too bad. (Get a Diesel, you'll never notice tire noise.) Basically, I try to remember that I'm driving a 7000 lb +, 22 ft long truck, so I don't try to tempt laws of physics by slaloming, or trying to break land-speed records.
    Thing to watch with AT tires - big blocky treads with hard rubber can slide more on wet roads. Some brands of AT's are siped (they have little grooves cut in tread blocks) this alleviates water/mud/snow build up and lets it get to bigger channels in the tire. Makes tire grippier, somwhat quieter, and tends to build up less heat.
    I like Light Truck (LT) ATs because they usually have a tougher carcass - ran P tires on my F-150 for a couple years and kept getting flats and sidewall punctures. Noise from AT depends lot on tire and tread pattern - had a set of Goodyear "Workhorse" tires and I sounded like a squadron of P-51 fighter planes going down the road. Replaced them with a set of Kirklands (from Costco) which were quiet and had better traction.
    Find ride quality has more to do with load and tire pressures. I usually run 40 psi in front, and 50 in rear. Gives a reasonable ride - it's still a truck not a Lincoln Towncar. If I'm loaded heavy (3000 lbs in bed) I'll air up to 60/80 psi and it rides fine with load. However, if you forget to let air out when you're empty, you'll shake the fillings outta your teeth.

P.S. Used to have '86 CRX Si in my younger days. It was 2 seater so I had plenty of leg room...just used to whack my head going over bumps. Folks would be really surprised when they'd see me unfold from it.
    Thanks one more time for more great advice, Walt. One of the best things about these boards is the ability to benefit from other's experiences. I actually read your post a few days ago, was just checking back for any new posts so thought I would reply with my gratitude.
    I think I need to go to the dealer next, test out Supercab vs. Crew, V8 vs. V10, bench vs. seats, and figure it out for myself. It may be a few months before I buy, esp. with wife's new car just ordered, but some things are fun to obsess over for a while and this will be one of them!
  • porkyporky Member Posts: 83
    Good to see one of the early birds still in there posting messages. Any idea where Gossamar, Lewac, Brutus,Lemans, and some of the others are hanging out ???
    I am finally getting close to 20,000 miles on my y2k SD 250 crew cab and have developed the dreaded front end squeak. Sounds like a 200,000 mile jalopy.
    One of you had the same problem and had it fixed, knowing the part number and work bulletin number. (I breezed through the archives and didn't find the specifics.) It would be nice to have them in hand, when I take the truck in to the dealership, in case they tell me that it's normal wear and tear. Any help would be nice.
    Thank's in advance.
    Paul
    36k on my 00 F250 SC 4x2 5.4l 5sp 4.10ls.. no front end squeeks.. I travel on a fairly rough dirt road every day. There are a few small squeeks when on the washboards but most I think is just junk in my center console and glove compartment..

One time I had a huge squeal from the right front.. I removed the front wheel and found a pea sized stone jammed between the dust shield and rotor..
    I've heard the front end 4x4 squeaks are the spring isolator bushings, but I could be mistaken.. The front suspension on 4x2's is completely different, and I've not heard of anyone with problems with them.
  • porkyporky Member Posts: 83
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    You have 4X2 and I have the 4X4 set up, So my memory is failing me !!! I thought you were the first one to describe, in vivid detail, the trials and tribulations that you had getting the noise fixed. Someone out there has the work bulitin number and parts numbers required to fix the spring squeak. I'm going to dive back into the archives and see what I can dig up.
    Thanks again.
    Paul
    I just saw a new Ram up close in the parking deck today for the first time. It confirmed what I thought from seeing a few on the road -- I don't like it. Am I the only one that thinks the grille change is an attempt to look more like the F250 while retaining the Dodge shape? And, combined with the Tonka concept unveiled recently, is 2002 going to be the last model year for the F250, or any other pickup, to look, well, like a truck?
  • native1native1 Member Posts: 2
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Excuse me, but Dodge came out with the "big rig" styling in '94. Ford used some of Dodge's styling, NOT the other way around.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    Although it is what I patterned my handle after it didn't quite work out that way this time.
    I bought the 99 SD250 the 1st year model, I told myself...."self you have never had trouble with Ford before, so why worry this time." My truck has been at the dealer over a dozen times in the last 18-20 mos. It still isn't close to being right. Front end, rear end, transfer case, and bad vibrations above 75mph.

The only good part of this story is that after 2 years of complaining at the service people and service manager. And after writing to Ford customer no-service. I finally got to talk to the owner of the dealership. To my amazement he new quite a bit about my situation. What ticked me off was they were not doing anything on there own, I had to keep on complaining. It is true, the sqeaky wheel gets the grease.

They talked with Ford and Ford agreed to contribute $5000 toward the purchase of a new truck. The gave me a very nice trade in value for my piece of j, oops. My truck. They sold me the new truck at $500 over invoice and placed it on order last night. (6-8 weeks?)

ANYWAY....now getting a 02 sc,4x4,xlt, wht/slv,V10

Same as the old truck except color, and hopefully the headaches.

Wish me luck.
  • cooziecoozie Member Posts: 2
    As the owner of a '98 Ram 1500 4X4 who is now lookin to move up to a Crew Cab Diesel (new Travel Trailer, bigger kids), I won't even consider the "New Dodge Ram". Although I had every intention to wait until this fall for the 3/4 and 1 tons to come out with the new "CREW" redesign, I'm now shopping Ford 250/350 PSD. Sure, I've tried to let the new "crew" design grow on me. But it hasn't happened. The new Ram "crew" is such a huge dissapointment. I am indeed a Cummins diesel fan, but not if the ride makes me puke. DC really missed the mark.
This discussion has been closed.