Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Range Rover

See the following link:

http://carview.msn.co.uk/advice/default.asp (find the Range Rover link)

http://www.rangerover.landrover.com/

This new SUV promises to be every bit as ground breaking as the 1970 debut - everything about the car exudes unparalleled luxury and performance. According to Car magazine, it will start out with a BMW V8 and then an option will become available for an Aston Marton V12.

Car magazine also said that it's rumored to have the best built interior of any car to date and that off-road performance will not be compromised despite its dual independent suspension layout.

It will be priced much higher than the current Range Rover, with prices probably closely matching the Mercedes S-class. Do you think this SUV will make Lexus, M-B and BMW go back to the drawing board?

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    First Drive: 2003 Land Rover Range Rover

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I'm surprised nobody's interested in what may be the world's most decorated and respected off-roader / passenger car combo.
    There's not much in our archives either (search on "Rover"). Seems to be some complaints about resale values, but that's a given with almost all cars and trucks.

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    In the latest Autoweek on the New Range Rover.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    They've been released for the UK market and are quite a bit higher than current models. Using current exchange rate the base looks to be $76,800 and the top model about $86,000. Anyone know US official prices? I also realize there will be a ton of add ons that will bring those prices higher.
    This reviewer sounds pleasantly surprised at the pricing in GB.

Steve
    Host

• US prices for Range Rovers have, in the past, been less than the UK. Something strange I noticed, was the "petrol" engine costs 7000 pounds more than the diesel for the UK market.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    I agree with you about the price difference although I think they want to move up in the price range to rise above the Benz and BMW models. Truely an S-class for the off roads...BTW I think the difference in the petrol(gas) vs. the diesels have to do with the mark up from BMW on their supplied engines. My thoughts
  • Demand is incredibly good. I have 5 pre-sold as of today and know of another handful of clients I expect to give me a deposit soon. Our Centre as a whole, has 8 pre-sold. But, my rep told me of one store in our region with 37 orders!
  • ward15ward15 Posts: 1
    I'm considering the purchase of a 1999 range rover discovery. would like any advice pro or con. frank
    Check over on the Land Rover Discovery board for the answer, there are a lot of owners there. Just make sure you call it a Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover is another Land Rover model, like the Discovery and Freelander.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    Does anyone who has placed a deposit on a 2003 RR know:
    1. U.S. Prices
    2. U.S. Availability dates
    Thanks
  • waldrojewaldroje Posts: 4
    Have an order for a 2003 RR, I was about 30th on the list back in Jan., and got a call from dealer the other day which implied about a 72k base price and only a couple add-ons, heated seats for one. Seemed like orders would get placed around May, test drives in June, and cars available in July/Aug.
  • stacystacy Posts: 91
    Someone told me landrover is coming out with a bigger SUV than the range rover - something to compete with the Nav/Expy/Sub size -- Anyone know if this is true?
    Range Rover Issues Challenge

Steve
    Host

• nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    Steve, you want to post this link over on the G-wagen thread? I didn't bring my Nomex underwear in today.

"...with the introduction of its 2003 Range Rover, the company served notice that excuses are history. That's good news for consumers. But it's very bad for at least one of the Range Rover's rivals, the recently introduced (for U.S. sales) Mercedes-Benz G500."

"The Range Rover is an all-around better vehicle that will sell for several thousand dollars less than the G500."
    PROBABLY the BEST off-roader in the world!

Steve
    Host

• nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    There ain't enough Nomex for the both of us. ONE of us is toast.

For what it's worth, I saw a spanking-new G500 the other day. Couldn't coax the gent into following me off into the deeps either. *snicker*
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Posts: 62
    Only problem is: Should the new RR ever encounter a G wagon off-road, the RR will be TOAST. I've directly compared LR's and G's off-road, and LR can NOT come close (and I've owned 2 LR's, and have one now). I would have a G except for the $$, but they are getting very close now, so who knows - my LR may have to go.
  • ktowheelsktowheels Posts: 31
    What is the water height limit that the RR03 can go through?
    Is 20" on the 2003 Range Rover
    While I agree that in extreme off-road situations the G-wagen has an advantage due to the 3 locking diffs, 99.9% of the time the new Range Rover will more than hold it's own, and once they get on the highway the 2003 Range Rover blows the G-wagen away. I have driven the 4.0 and 4.6 Range Rovers and the 2003 Range Rover. The new one is light years improved over the earlier vehicles, almost as if they are in a different class.
  • shehzadshehzad Posts: 52
    I saw my first 2003 range rover, a dealer plated one outside of a local hotel. In a word-amazing. The ONLY esthetic aspect of it that looked a little odd were the plastic "gills or vents" on the side front quarter panels. The interior is one of the nicest I've ever seen. And the rims on it are huge. It looks like RR won't be designating 4.6, 4.0, HSE, se, etc anymore, as the SUV I saw had no actual model designation on it. I love this vehicle.
    There will be only one model available for the 2003 Range Rover, the HSE. There is no need for engine size badging as the 4.4 V8 is the only available engine. The vehicle you saw was a pre-production unit, it did not have the final badging on it. The vents are functional, but the designers wanted them to give a strong visual difference while retaining the classic Range Rover look for the rest of the body.
  • nbownbow Posts: 5
    There is a Range Rover launch event in Chicago on Monday May 20th at the Museum of Contemporary Art. You'll be able to drive the New Range Rover. Call 1-877-480-8546 to RSVP for the event.
    Any help with this question? Thanks.

steve_ "Isuzu Trooper" May 14, 2002 11:18am

Steve
    Host

There is no requirement to supply replacement parts at all. The only requirement is to satisfy Warranty claims per the Magnusson-Moss act. The 10 year rule that Mike (Paisan) was claiming to exist is an urban legend that has no basis in any Federal regulation.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    I agree, those side gvents are interesting. Reminds me of shark gills.
  • I'd give my left one to have one of those! Luxury and uncompromised off-road ability. And it still looks like a Range Rover. My hat's off to the engineers and designers. Now, if only I had 80 thousand bucks.