Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

focusmatt2focusmatt2 Member Posts: 106
See the following link:

http://carview.msn.co.uk/advice/default.asp (find the Range Rover link)

http://www.rangerover.landrover.com/

This new SUV promises to be every bit as ground breaking as the 1970 debut - everything about the car exudes unparalleled luxury and performance. According to Car magazine, it will start out with a BMW V8 and then an option will become available for an Aston Marton V12.

Car magazine also said that it's rumored to have the best built interior of any car to date and that off-road performance will not be compromised despite its dual independent suspension layout.

It will be priced much higher than the current Range Rover, with prices probably closely matching the Mercedes S-class. Do you think this SUV will make Lexus, M-B and BMW go back to the drawing board?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    First Drive: 2003 Land Rover Range Rover

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • focusmatt2focusmatt2 Member Posts: 106
    I'm surprised nobody's interested in what may be the world's most decorated and respected off-roader / passenger car combo.
    There's not much in our archives either (search on "Rover"). Seems to be some complaints about resale values, but that's a given with almost all cars and trucks.

Steve
    Host
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    In the latest Autoweek on the New Range Rover.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    They've been released for the UK market and are quite a bit higher than current models. Using current exchange rate the base looks to be $76,800 and the top model about $86,000. Anyone know US official prices? I also realize there will be a ton of add ons that will bring those prices higher.
    This reviewer sounds pleasantly surprised at the pricing in GB.

Steve
    Host
  • brew1974brew1974 Member Posts: 18
    US prices for Range Rovers have, in the past, been less than the UK. Something strange I noticed, was the "petrol" engine costs 7000 pounds more than the diesel for the UK market.
    I agree with you about the price difference although I think they want to move up in the price range to rise above the Benz and BMW models. Truely an S-class for the off roads...BTW I think the difference in the petrol(gas) vs. the diesels have to do with the mark up from BMW on their supplied engines. My thoughts
  • brew1974brew1974 Member Posts: 18
    Demand is incredibly good. I have 5 pre-sold as of today and know of another handful of clients I expect to give me a deposit soon. Our Centre as a whole, has 8 pre-sold. But, my rep told me of one store in our region with 37 orders!
  • ward15ward15 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the purchase of a 1999 range rover discovery. would like any advice pro or con. frank
    Check over on the Land Rover Discovery board for the answer, there are a lot of owners there. Just make sure you call it a Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover is another Land Rover model, like the Discovery and Freelander.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    Does anyone who has placed a deposit on a 2003 RR know:
    1. U.S. Prices
    2. U.S. Availability dates
    Thanks
  • waldrojewaldroje Member Posts: 4
    Have an order for a 2003 RR, I was about 30th on the list back in Jan., and got a call from dealer the other day which implied about a 72k base price and only a couple add-ons, heated seats for one. Seemed like orders would get placed around May, test drives in June, and cars available in July/Aug.
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Someone told me landrover is coming out with a bigger SUV than the range rover - something to compete with the Nav/Expy/Sub size -- Anyone know if this is true?
    Range Rover Issues Challenge

Steve
    Host
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Steve, you want to post this link over on the G-wagen thread? I didn't bring my Nomex underwear in today.

"...with the introduction of its 2003 Range Rover, the company served notice that excuses are history. That's good news for consumers. But it's very bad for at least one of the Range Rover's rivals, the recently introduced (for U.S. sales) Mercedes-Benz G500."

"The Range Rover is an all-around better vehicle that will sell for several thousand dollars less than the G500."
    PROBABLY the BEST off-roader in the world!

Steve
    Host
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    There ain't enough Nomex for the both of us. ONE of us is toast.

For what it's worth, I saw a spanking-new G500 the other day. Couldn't coax the gent into following me off into the deeps either. *snicker*
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Only problem is: Should the new RR ever encounter a G wagon off-road, the RR will be TOAST. I've directly compared LR's and G's off-road, and LR can NOT come close (and I've owned 2 LR's, and have one now). I would have a G except for the $$, but they are getting very close now, so who knows - my LR may have to go.
  • ktowheelsktowheels Member Posts: 31
    What is the water height limit that the RR03 can go through?
    Is 20" on the 2003 Range Rover
    While I agree that in extreme off-road situations the G-wagen has an advantage due to the 3 locking diffs, 99.9% of the time the new Range Rover will more than hold it's own, and once they get on the highway the 2003 Range Rover blows the G-wagen away. I have driven the 4.0 and 4.6 Range Rovers and the 2003 Range Rover. The new one is light years improved over the earlier vehicles, almost as if they are in a different class.
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I saw my first 2003 range rover, a dealer plated one outside of a local hotel. In a word-amazing. The ONLY esthetic aspect of it that looked a little odd were the plastic "gills or vents" on the side front quarter panels. The interior is one of the nicest I've ever seen. And the rims on it are huge. It looks like RR won't be designating 4.6, 4.0, HSE, se, etc anymore, as the SUV I saw had no actual model designation on it. I love this vehicle.
    There will be only one model available for the 2003 Range Rover, the HSE. There is no need for engine size badging as the 4.4 V8 is the only available engine. The vehicle you saw was a pre-production unit, it did not have the final badging on it. The vents are functional, but the designers wanted them to give a strong visual difference while retaining the classic Range Rover look for the rest of the body.
  • nbownbow Member Posts: 5
    There is a Range Rover launch event in Chicago on Monday May 20th at the Museum of Contemporary Art. You'll be able to drive the New Range Rover. Call 1-877-480-8546 to RSVP for the event.
    Any help with this question? Thanks.

steve_ "Isuzu Trooper" May 14, 2002 11:18am

Steve
    Host
    There is no requirement to supply replacement parts at all. The only requirement is to satisfy Warranty claims per the Magnusson-Moss act. The 10 year rule that Mike (Paisan) was claiming to exist is an urban legend that has no basis in any Federal regulation.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I agree, those side gvents are interesting. Reminds me of shark gills.
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    I'd give my left one to have one of those! Luxury and uncompromised off-road ability. And it still looks like a Range Rover. My hat's off to the engineers and designers. Now, if only I had 80 thousand bucks.
    But your left arm would come in handy for holding your Slurpee.

Haven't seen you around lately Countsmackula1 - missed your, er, imitable style of posting.

Steve
    Host
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Wait about 2 years & the price should drop dramatically on a used one. That interior is beautiful. Great design.
    The 2003 RR is finally at dealers.....I've driven it....it's great!
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I had no idea it was out already---I'll be at my dealer first thing after work tommorrow. I can't wait.
    I am not really a SUV fan but I test drove the new Range Rover this morning on a break. Incredible machine. The interior is gorgeous, the ride is not as good as my MB S-class but very good, better than most luxury cars. I asked the saleman the damage for the model he had with the HD headlights and heated seats as well as the light guards. Almost 75K...With taxes and delivery he said I could order and 3 months and 79K later drive one. I think I will keep my E500 order but this was tempting
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I just got one in :)

It came off the transporter last night.

Tincup, take a bow. As usual, you guys did one hell of a job. But the real test will be on Sunday at the Ocala National Forest... Its' gonna get muddy!

Maybe I will have the distinction of being the first to cover an 03 with mud (Company service vehicles excludedI imagine) in America?

Lets' see if I like it as much as my "baby" (95 Anniversary LWB) and see if it gets clkeaned up in time on Monday to take it to auction on Tuesday!

Bill
    Thanks for the kind words. I think they hit a grand slam with this one! From what I've heard from people who have had these off-road, this is probably the most capable, comfortable off-road vehicle Land Rover has ever produced. It definitly is the best on-road Land Rover ever produced, I have had an opportunity to drive one on road.
    But of course!

NOW BRING THE DEFNDER BACK IN!!!! ARRGH!!!

:)

It is outstanding on road. I was very impressed. In fact, I was concerned about its' off-road ability.

100mph? Smooth and silent. I mean, this thing is amazing! The handling and steering response.. excellent.

I think it is as good on-road as an X5. And we all know how the X5 is useless off-road.

Maybe I can hit a construction site with it tonight! heheheh..

Bill
    The Range Rover is light years ahead of the X5 off-road, Land Rover engineering came up with an ingenious way to have independent suspension mimic a live axle vehicle off road by tying the air suspension on each end together side to side. So when you have one wheel pushed up by the terrain, there is an increase in pressure to the other side, extending that wheel. This leads to very good axle articulation without the loss of ground clearance that usually accompanies independent suspension. Most of the people I have talked to that have driven this vehicle off road say that it is fantastic, some even say it makes it too easy, takes most of the challenge out of off roading ;)

Also everyone at LRNA want's the Defender back also, but due to the same budgetary and personnel concerns that have delayed the Jaguar F-type, this has also been delayed :(
    I was reading about that. I did use it about 20 mins ago on a cigarette run.. and I did just hop a few curbs and stuff and was quite impressed as I hoped I would be. That it is light years ahead of an X5 does not surprise me. An old LWB with blown-out air suspension is still light years ahead of an X5..lol

It sounds like a really cool system. Shame more owners dont take 'em off-road though. I still like the "edgier" feel of the classics.. and I wouldnt sell my 95 for all the tea in China, but this new one is blowing me away.

I really do hope you guys get the Defender back in here. Someone needs to make the Hummer look foolish again! I always wondered why the 110 was a 1993 MY only truck tho.

Bill
    The NAS D110 was a special project to prepare the US market for the corporate change from Range Rover North America to Land Rover North America in anticipation of the importation of the Discovery in 1994. There were only 500 brought into the US in 93 but it took until late 94 to sell them all. That is the main reason they were not continued. The D90 was also a very low volume vehicle, there were les than 10,000 total sold in the 3 years they were available in the US, 94,95,97. Most 94's and 95's sat on the retailers lots for quite a while. The 97's went pretty quick once it was announced that it would be the last year of importation, but moved slowly before that announcement.
  • noammnoamm Member Posts: 2
    I had the car for 5 days:
    Car started shaking uncontrolably and service engine soon light went off-that is after 91 miles!!! Engine failure the dealer said
    Dash board lights (instrument panel) defective
    Door hinges -defective
    The dealer doesnt know when I am going to get the navigation discs.
    Sunglasses holder broke.
    THE CAR IS TERRIBLE!!!
    Yikes, this is disappointing......I'm expecting mine any day now. Any other lemons out there? I'm sure any new car has a few problems, but surely the BMW engine is proven? I know production started in November 2001, but any idea when your "lemon" was built, and has the dealer had any problems with other delivered cars?
    I haven't heard of any major issues with the 2003 Range Rover. Take reports like noamms with a grain of salt. While any manufacturer can and does build occasional lemons, they are never representative of the majority of their products. If noamm posts the last 8 of his VIN, I would be happy to check the build date.
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    Sounds to me like noamns just posting this to get everyone excited about nothing. Let's see if he gives tincup the VIN so he can check it out. I test drove this vehicle when the preview team was in Chicago and it was amazing.
    I have a 2000 DII with 35,000 miles with no issues. The only problem I have with it is that it refuses to give me a reason to trade it in on a 2003 Range Rover.
    As of today, no Land Rover retailers in the US or Canada have ordered either a short block or stripped engine. If noamm has had a major engine issue, I'm sure we would have an order for one.
    A friend in Bradford England has been driving his for about 3 months or so and not a single issue. In fact he told me he was amazed that after some serious off roading there wasn't a rattle or the like at all. If you want a jacked up sedan by a ML or BMW X. But for a serious off roader with incredible appointments the Range Rover is the only name in the game.
  • noammnoamm Member Posts: 2
    I posted a message stating that my car was a lemon and that it had an engine failure.
    I must correct myself. The car had an engine problen which seem big to ME, but after couple of days at the dealer they figured it out and it was a small distribution dampness issue. All the other little thing are taking care of by the dealer and the company. I must say tha that the dealer treated me exceptionaly well, far far better than my experiences with BMW or MB. I must say that now that kinks are out, it is by the far the best car I have ever had--It is simply incredible, like riding Rolls. So, forgive me for the hooha-you know how it is with anew car. Engoy everobody. It is well, well, well worth it.
    I'm trying to decide whether to lease or buy an '03 Range Rover. My concerns boil down to what has been a vehicle with a heavy depreciation in the past.
    If I buy, (4.9% is quoted) and borrow, am I going to end-up with an "upside down" deal, say in 3 years?
    If I lease, will the old models heavy depreciation be figured into the terms.
    Has anyone been quoted lease rates on the '03?
    Sorry for delay.. I have been away for a while.

OK, I got an 03 Rangey in stock (God does it help to have a LR Dealer as a good client!) and just sold it to a good customer of mine.

He LOVES it.

I LOVED IT!

I never loved the 4.0SE and 4.6HSE.. I am in love with my 95 Anniversary County LWB (Classic) that you can buy from my widow :)

This freaking thing amazed me. Off-Road Ability? WOW! Freaking UNREAL! This is the closest to a D90 I have had off-road. Outstanding ability. And I got it very very dirty.

I put 2,100 miles on it and not a single hiccup. Total perfection. Truck now has nearly 3K on it and it's been perfect.

As far as Buy/Lease... see what the Money Factor is. if it's low, do that, and then you have residual protection to boot.

Bill