Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• rabayarabaya Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 rover and have seen this message appear in the message center 4 to 5 times over the year I've owned it...The first time the dealer said it was a dirty sensor...The second time they sent away for a new CPU and had to re-program the car...Any others out there that have had this problem?
  • phelmephelme Member Posts: 4
    The Touareg has a terrible system? wait until you see the RR's ;)

does anyone know if the software has been updated for the 2004 model? the 2003 i believe is 3-1/31 (look under the "Set" screen and see what the numbers are at the top)
  • shredrcashredrca Member Posts: 11
    The climate control warning icon (the one that looks like an open book with a "!") started appearing in the panel, but only intermittently. Sometimes it would appear right when I start the engine, sometimes after I've driven some and sometimes not at all.

Anyone else here have seen this? What was your experience? Is it critical enough that I dring it to a dealer right away, as the manual says?

Thanks in advance!

Eduardo
    Los Angeles, CA
  • kelly57kelly57 Member Posts: 5
    Eduardo,
    My 2000 RR had a similar indication after running it through a carwash, interior fan kicked on high and would not go off and the indicator you mentioned came on. Long story short, I guess a relay had gotten wet and h/c system reacted as it did, because it eventually (2 days later) cleared the fault and shut the fan off.
  • lovephotolovephoto Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if dealers are discounting the New Range Rover yet?
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    We too have had the warning symbol appear, but only once. We were driving in a snow storm and the light came on after starting the car but went off when we restarted it. It apparently reset itself but gave no indication as to why it came on to begin with. Never had it checked out because it did not reoccur. Maybe we should have.
    MrToad3, thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, it started appearing after driving it through snow over Donner Pass enroute to Reno, NV. I'll take it to a Land Rover garage this weekend for a check up. I'll post an update when I learn more.

Eduardo
    Los Angeles, CA
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    My 99 had that warning icon come on for a while, then it didn't light any more, I think after the next time I drove it. I had the dealer run a diagnostic, and there was a part that had gone bad. I don't recall exactly what it was; something fairly serious, such as the climte control module or something like that.
  • jon1958jon1958 Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving my 04 RR for about 6 weeks now. The only problem I've experienced with the RR is that when I go around corners, I hear water sloshing around under the cowl/dashboard. I took it to my dealer, but they couldn't figure it out. Now,they want me to bring it back so that they can take out the windshield to see if that can help them solve the problem. Before I do, I'd like to hear from others who might have experienced the same problem and how it was fixed. Many thanks.
  • cmegan3cmegan3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 RR 4.6 HSE. It reheated the other day, and they are going to replace the entire engine. My question is, what do that do to the value of the vehicle? Should the warranty on the engine reset?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "A two-door Land Rover Range Rover shown this week at Detroit's auto show is the forerunner of a new architecture that will spawn at least two new Land Rover models. The Range Stormer concept was introduced as a "high-performance SUV" riding on 22-inch wheels and sporting a supercharged V8. The concept is unmistakably Land Rover -- and the two-door treatment a reminder of the original Range Rover when it was introduced in 1970, only in the concept the doors open like a penknife. A two-door model in production may be forthcoming, but the chassis is a certainty -- the new Range Rover Sport and the next-generation Discovery will use the running gear when they are introduced in 2005."

Source: Edmunds.com SUVs newsletter

Steve, Host
  • mimib78mimib78 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am in the market for a SUV? I have to say that initially I was positive that I would purchase the '04RR this year. However, after doing some research on the net about it, I am no longer sure. Many reports on the RR say it has quality issues. Have any of you found this to be true? I have been reading up on this discussion and it seems that there are lot of body issues with the RR, which leads me to my next question.
    In doing comparisons with the RR's competitors, other than the Mercedes G-Class (not interested), the RR's price is significantly higher?
    For those of you RR owners, have you found it to be worth the money?
    If you could do it all over again, would you have purchased your RR?
    Thanks.
  • rrmaniacrrmaniac Member Posts: 7
    The things you've researched I was also concerned about.....I waited to buy an 04 in Sept. of this year. The only problem I've had is a sqeaking drivers window which dealer has fixed. About 2k of my mileage is from severe off road stuff in Colorado and New Mexico Rockies.....so a squeaking window is not that big of a deal. The other stuff that has been spoken about has been caught by the May 03 build date. If you can afford....there's just not another SUV or car out there that can compare....regardless of what you use it for.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    ...never say never....BUT I think all the quality issures (and there were only really one or two) have been fixed. I have an '03 and an '04 and the only changes I've noticed have been some minor adjustments to the SatNav and radio. My only quality isse was the "stuck" steering column adjustment on the '03 which was fixed in no time. Most importantly, they both are vault solid with no rattles!
  • dodindodin Member Posts: 5
    I've had my RR 04 for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any of the noises, etc mentioned on this board and I'm listening for them. So far VERY happy. In city and up the mt for skiing....
  • jsilkettjsilkett Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '03 RR for just a month and I love it. I had that warning in the message center also. The trans wouldn't go into sport mode either but otherwise operated ok. I drove it that way for about 15 miles to my house and shut it off and the warning hasn't re-appeared and sport mode works fine. I called the dealer and he said to drive it and see if it happens again... Any updates/observations would be welcome.
    Also, I noticed mine running rough at idle with the brake applied but it smoothes out nicely as soon as I take my foot off the brake. Any Ideas?
  • dandmandandman Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy either the RR or the Porsche Cayenne S. Anyone have any comparative experience on these 2 fine vehicles? The RR looks so much more elegant, but the Cayenne seems so much fun and quicker...
  • metsfanatic69metsfanatic69 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Oxford Edition Range Rover, and ever since around November, straight through till now, we've had problems with the steering wheel squeaking while being turned. We took it to the dealership and they fixed it, but now that it's winter, the problems have started again. Granted, we keep the car outside, and as I speak it's about 10 degrees out there (live in Jersey), but annoyances like this should not occur on a 70000 dollar vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I think the rough idle issue has been addressed in a service bulletin... refer it to the dealer. I think they adjust the idle speed upward a fraction and this solves it.
    The steering wheel squeak is also in a service bulletin.... but maybe the cold weather is making some of the plastic in the column support area brittle.
    RR or Cayenne... I think both have excellent attributes...but over the long term I think the RR has a more compliant ride. All the reviews of the Toureg and Cayenne point to the harsh ride as being a negative. After that I think it boils down to which one "looks" better for you...the razor redged RR or the guppy face Cayenne (no bias here!)
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Hey all, i am just looking around...been very interested in RR, but scared of quality issues.

Keep the updates coming from current owners please!

BTW, does the navigation system use DVD or CD-ROM for 2004?? Can you order a RR withOUT navigation??

Thanks.
    2004 still has the CD based system. There are a few software updates from my 2003, but the nav system is not the RR's strong point. There is no delete option.... but most nav systems (Honda excepted) are somewhat tricky, however, it will get you there if you need it!
  • dodindodin Member Posts: 5
    The nav comes standard.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I may be coming back to the Range Rover fold. I had one before my 01 X5 that's about to go off lease. My old Range Rover was a great vehicle, I was one of those somewhat rare Rover owners that kept it way past the 100k mark (160k miles).

Cayenne or Range Rover - I'm a Porsche fan as well, this will be an interesting choice. Another SUV I like a lot is the VW Touareg, it's interior design, material quality, fit and finish isn't too far off the Range Rover's at all, it's very nearly equal.
    Here is the opening text of the Service Bulletin regarding the Steering Column Squeak: Contact your dealer for full text and resolution.

Steering Column Cowl Rub
    No: 76/22/03/NAS
    Ref:
    Issue: 1
    Date: 12/05/03
    AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
    New Range Rover (LM) All
    SITUATION:
    STEERING COLUMN COWL CONTACTS THE STEERING WHEEL
    The column cover may have been incorrectly installed during a repair procedure permitting contact with the steering wheel and causing a rubbing noise. The information in the current RAVE Workshop Manual is incomplete and does not indicate all required steps.
    RESOLUTION:
    REPOSITION THE COWL FOR CORRECT CLEARANCE
    Should a customer express concern regarding the above, follow the rectification procedure outlined in
    this bulletin.
    What production month should one get a Range Rover that has all the "fixes"??

Thanks.
  • peteropnypeteropny Member Posts: 15
    I'm another one considering these 2 to replace my 2000 BMW 528i.
    I believe all the "kinks" have been resolved. All manufacturers progressively improve their cars and update items as and when a problem arises.
    I have a 2003 and a 2004 RR, and I had maybe one or two small issues with the 2003 and none with the 2004. Aside from improvements to the radio and nav software, there are no other noticeable differences. If you get a late 2003 or a 2004 I think you'll be OK.
    You might want to check out the upgraded luxury package ($5000) on the 2004... the seats are awesome, and there is leather on the doors and upper dashboard.
    I subscribed to a RR technical service bulletin update, and there have been very few new items since October of last year.
  • jalivjaliv Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone experience an almost continuous creaking from the left and right side wood dash areas of the 2003? Mine, for lack of a better explanation can be caused to creak by simply veering left and right on the steering wheel, or driving down washboard roads. The dealership has tried to rectify to no avail. Living in a northern climate a majority of the noise I had attributed to expansion due to the heater.

Many Thanks
  • ak103ak103 Member Posts: 11
    Since this hasn't been answered yet and some people have asked, I'll go into it a bit (slightly long).

The RR is a full size SUV, the Cayenne more or less is midsize. The Cayenne is more of a sport oriented SUV, still has touches of luxury but the suspension is harsher than the RR (which can be described as smooth, slightly bouncy). Granted the RR isn't a bad handling vehicle, just the Cayenne is better. The RR has nice throttle response for its size, but still not anywhere close to the Cayenne S (talking 8.9-9.0sec to 60 vs. around 7.1-7.2sec for the Cayenne).

Now the subjective part, I think the RR is an infinitely better looking vehicle. Has a more classic, stately, and prestigious appearance to it. The RR is also more exclusive. With the introduction of the Cayenne V6 (bases at $43k), the Cayenne is destined to become a very common vehicle....just like the X5. Granted, the Cayenne Turbo has a slightly more unique look to it(different hood and bumper, red calipers, rear valence) but overall to most peoples eyes they all look the same. So it takes minimum $43k to get into a Cayenne and still takes $72k to get into a RR.

As far as the interiors are concerned, I like both the Cayenne and RR...but some things about the Cayenne's gut just strike me as a tad low rent.

Both vehicles Nav systems are not the easiest and are CD based.

So I would say.....If you're looking for more of a luxury ship with classic charm take a hard look at the RR. On the other hand, if you want a little sport in your SUV (steering wheel mounted shift buttons) and welcome the slightly smaller overall size take a look at the Cayenne.
  • cindyroderickcindyroderick Member Posts: 19
    elegance does not come from the shape of the grill. It comes from long hard work over an entire lifetime. It comes from impeccable quality not propoganda. Elegance is also a byproduct of strong character. And character comes from qualities.

Dandman: If we were to believe you then Pamela should be the first choice for marriage. While we are behind the AAA truck, the mechanic is sleeping with Pamela. LOL! How funny the elegance is!
  • tomc4stomc4s Member Posts: 2
    I have an April 03 production August 03 delivery 2003 and have noticed the creaking, especially when the vehicle is cold. Mostly from the dash area, but mainly when going over minor bumps, or turning hard. I do not really want to have the dealer take apart and reassemble the dash, the usual fix.

Also, any way to make the NAV screen default to off on start up?

Has anyone hard wired a V1 using the power in the overhead light module? Is it easy to remove the light console to tap into a switched lead?

Thanks
  • jalivjaliv Member Posts: 5
    Many thanks for the reply. You are wise to opt against the dealer repair. Invariably it took a couple of trips back to get the panels re-assembled correctly and still the creaking persists. Yet everything else about the body hardware is solid. Oh, mine is a June '02 build, October '02 delivery.

Sorry I don't have a solution to offer to your questions.

Kind Regards
  • tomc4stomc4s Member Posts: 2
    Thanks jaliv for your response.

I would weigh in on the Cayenne v. RR issue in favor of the RR. I drove a Cayenne S twice and found it not to be comfortable for a SUV type vehicle. Sure it is faster off the line than the RR, but you give up a lot in features and more importantly, space, for both driver and passengers, and cargo.

If I want to corner and accelerate fast (relative to SUVs, not supercars) I drive the Porsche C4S. If I need the space, the RR wins out.

Anyone hardwire a radar detector using the overhead light console? I am looking for detail on the panel removal.

Thanks.
  • ttalonettalone Member Posts: 7
    There is a new nav system, plus blue-tooth cell ph communication system planned for the new '05 models, due to come out around June or July. I've have been waiting for the new Nav systems to come out, and my local dealer said should be here mid year. If you want to see the new Nav system just go to your local Jag dealer - same one (Ford built) very nice, touch screen, voice commands, touch screen audio system, Ph syste, built-in, etc. . . Anyone else been waiting, I think i will be well worth the wait.
  • 911fan911fan Member Posts: 1
    Did you happen to notice or discuss whether or not a satellite radio system would be part of the new system offered?
  • ksurgksurg Member Posts: 48
    This is the first time I visited this thread. Like others on this site I have recently considered buying a RR or Cayenne, mostly to take advantage of the commercial vehicle tax deduction. Interestingly I too own a C4S, but on the other hand I also have a Yukon XL. Although I haven't made up my mind yet I am leaning towards the RR. Why? Because it's as luxurious as a SUV can be and has better than average performance. Other than the turbo Cayenne(which will set you back upwards of $90K well equipped) I think the sport part of the euphemism SUV is lost. It's hard to justify a vehicle purchase based on status and exclusivity alone. As for aesthetics... it truly is in the eye of the beholder.
  • ak103ak103 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't heard anything about a new Nav system coming out, not saying the info is wrong though. And don't new model year RRs come out in the Oct area? The 05 will be out by June/July? Our Alv. Red/luxury pack/20s just came in and the salesguy said the 05 won't show up until Oct. The only reason he had brought that up was that if he couldn't locate the vehicle we wanted (which he did)...there was a good chance he wouldn't be able to get the vehicle by the model year end and we would have had to wait until 05 (overall he has been straight up all along).

If the 05 Nav is new (dvd based), hopefully it can be retrofitted at a somewhat reasonable cost. I should say though, the Jag Nav system isn't so intuitive either with that touch screen (still fussy). Its a tad easier to use than the RRs but not by a large margin. The main advantage to the switch will be that its DVD based (makes things a little more convenient for those that travel all over the place).
  • ttalonettalone Member Posts: 7
    Yes I also heard that the mid-year '05 will also have the satellite radio system. The new Nav and mid-year features were to come our as a mid-year '04 upgrade, but LR decided to just wait and come out with it in the '05 model. I am suppose to hear back from local dealer when they will actually be getting their '05's in. The ordering is suppose to be taking place the end of March to arrive sometime in June / July. But that's what I hear back on, when I do, will post the date(s). Pretty reliable source as he/she has been back to the RR plant and actually saw the new nav, blue-tooth, radio, camera and other goodies coming out. Pricing? We will have to wait and see.
    Does the 2005 model still have BMW powertrain?? I hope that it would.
    I have an '00 Range Rover that has been diagnosed with a very small oil leak coming from the "rear main seal". Can anyone tell me what the rear main seal is and if it is a good idea to change that seal. The dealer said it would take 3-4 days to do the work due to the complexity. I don't like the sound of that because it supposedly entails dismantling the transmission among other things. I am not keen on having that much disassembled due to possible future resultant problems. Can't they just tighten the bolts? Does anyone have any experience with this repair? Thanks.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    This seal goes around the crankshaft and keeps the engine oil inside. At that juncture the crankshaft is exiting the engine and entering the transmission so there's lots of stuff in the way.

It cannot be tightened to make it seal better, and please DO NOT pour that "stop leak" stuff into your engine... it causes many more problems than it "might" solve.

My Rover (same V8) looked as if it had the same leak... they looked a little harder (dye in the oil and fluorescing investigation) and found it was my failing cork valve cover gasket. Those are simple and fast to replace, and the oil seeping down the back of the block looks just like a leak at the main.

My question: how much is a "very small" leak? Do you get a drop overnight? 5 drops?

I personally would not have it changed unless it was leaking badly. A teaspoon of oil overnight would bother me a lot. Otherwise I'd live with it and avoid problems "down the road" as you suggest. A piece of cardboard beneath the drip will keep the garage clean.

Besides, this way you'll be missing out on one of the most valuable of all Rover diagnostics: "when it stops leaking, it's empty".

Seriously, this sounds like a very minor leak (hopefully) and I wouldn't pay 3-4 days labor to fix it.

Best regards,
    -Bob
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    You didn't say if your 2000 RR is still under warranty. If it is, why not have whatever is leaking fixed for free???? If it is really the main seal leaking, it's not uncommon for the leak to get worse over time. The dealer will give you a rental car at their expense during the repair.

If your RR is already out of warranty, then I agree with nanug, if it's a tiny leak, you should wait to see if it gets worse.
    -Bob Thanks for the input. I do not know if they checked the valve cover gasket but I'll mention it to them. The car is under warranty until end of Feb. The car drips maybe 1-5 drops. I'm hesitant to embark on such a repair without a second opinion. Thanks for the info.
    -Tom
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Mine is a '96 and at that vintage they were still using cork rocker gaskets... which leaked. The TSB list recommended replacement with rubber gaskets, and they work great. Another common leak point is in the vee of the intake. A dye treatment in the oil will reveal a leak there as well.

Y'know if it's under warranty, I'd think pretty hard about having this fixed. Especially if they'll put in writing that anything getting disturbed by THIS repair remains covered after warranty expiration. You might also ask them to gauge the main bearings and such as it's apart just to make sure all is well in the engine room. It seems a little premature for a rear main leak with ... what did you say, 20k miles? Maybe they can "mike" the crank to ensure roundness and stuff too. Or it could have just been a bad seal. I've seen plenty of those.

Rovers are easy enough to work on, and simple enough, that any time I had the chance for warranty work I'd have them dig in a little. They went ahead and did many items from the TSB list for free, and upgraded quite a lot of my truck. The trucks aren't complex enough that I worried about fixing one thing, but breaking two others.
  • livenupelivenupe Member Posts: 3
    sam818,
    In your message, you stated that you noticed improvements to the nav system from 03 to 04. Can you ellaborate?
  • livenupelivenupe Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed that my nav system often gives inefficient directions. For example, using the nav system to get home from downtown, the nav system gives instructions to exit the highway 2 exits before the nearest exit to my house and drive through neighborhood streets. I have the "fastest route" option selected so I don't understand the reason for the inefficient routings. I've noticed this "weird" logic on several occasions when I use the nav system to get to familiar destinations. My BMW, which has the same Nav system, doesn't seem to have this issue.

Anyone else experience this?
    Without a Workshop manual, I scoured the Web and Usenet and found nothing describing the process of removing the speaker cover. So I popped one out with a flat screwdriver. There's a flimsy plastic tab on top, and four plastic bolts with small metal "nuts" that broke off. The Harman Kardon speaker was not screwed into the holes.

I bought the Infinity 3002cf 3-1/2" at Circuit City for $59 and found that it fits the holes fine but it's slightly thick on the back and front. So I'm returning it tomorrow.

So (1) anyone know how to "properly" remove the speaker covers? And (2) what's a good compatible speaker replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Eduardo
    Los Angeles, CA
  • jchris2000jchris2000 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have further insight into the upcoming DVD-based nav? Just trying to gauge my new RR order to try to include this, if possible, while keeping the BMW-based drivetrain. TIA, JC
  • ksurgksurg Member Posts: 48
    I was in a dealership today. I can't guarantee the info but they were saying that the March vehicles will have rain sensing wipers and the May Range Rovers the new navigation system. As for rumors about a new drive train they claim the BMW engine is under contract for five years...so three more years I guess.