Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The NAV/Infotainment interface for the LR3 and the 2005 Range Rover are almost identical. The Range Rover actually has more functions built into it than the LR3 does. The screens shown are the same as in the Range Rover.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Yes, I know that. The new system was retrofitted into the Range Rover.

My basic question is "Did LR make a mistake and use 2005 Range Rover screen shots & specifications on their Disco 3 'infotainment' info page?" According to most documentation, LR3/Disco 3 has less features than shown on the Touchscreen (probably since Navigation is optional).
    It appears so. They could be anticipating future availability of the Bluetooth phone functionality.
    Thanks. Too bad. The forthcoming optional LR3 Bluetooth/PTI functions will regretably probably only use the tiny separate display/interface on the LR3 h/k stereo head unit. (Lowest common denominator factor.) I was hoping they'd supplement with Touchscreen support if the vehicle had Navigation... since they already had a GUI for the '05 RR.

Land Rover also documents touchscreen use with the "Premium" ICE h/k Stereo on the LR3. That might be a 2005 Range Rover mix-up, too.
  • lzmlzlzmlz Member Posts: 7
    Hi all. I just bought 05 RR past weekend. Service Engine Soon light was on before the car was delivered. Sale guy said that it was a computer glitch and reset the computer by the service department. However Service Engine Soon light came on this morning again with only 250 miles on odometer, and now the truck has to be left at the dealer. Should I be concerned? I almost chose LX470 over RR. I hope I would not regret. All my Lexus cars have been trouble free.
  • shugurlshugurl Member Posts: 22
    I just got mine last week and mine said something about oil servicing. my husbands bmw does this same thing all the time and who knows... Oh I'm sure you'll regret having not bought another lexus as I may feel like I'd lost my mind buying something owned by ford. I like the car b/c it is unique but it's kind of a tank on the highway and I had no idea what a guzzler this thing would be. does anyone else notice the windshield wipers make strange noises? also what is this venturecam? where is it located? my manual was talking about it but I haven't a clue where to find it in my car.
    The VentureCam is an optional suction-cup mounted wireless video camera that can transmit a live picture from anywhere around the vehicle. It's viewable on the Touchscreen. Interesting tool for hardcore off-roading. I'm not even sure they sell it in the US due to our, well, litigious culture.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I think I warned you about this, didn't I? And it's not Ford, shugurl, that is your problem, it's having been used to the perfection of a Lexus, and then buying something European, where maintenance is expected, not a sin, as it is with the Japanese. Don't come crying to us now. We told you so...... Put a notepad in the console with a pen. Write down each little annoying glitch when it happens, and hand it to the service writer when you go in for service every 3 months. Enjoy your loaner cars. You'll get used to it. Millions of BMW, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Rover, Bentley, Rolls-Royce and Volvo drivers already do.
    Sale guy brought my 05 RR and told that the problem was solved. They had to replace a faulty thermometer. We shall see.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Shugurl, you said.... "I like the car b/c it is unique but it's kind of a tank on the highway and I had no idea what a guzzler this thing would be. does anyone else notice the windshield wipers make strange noises?"

You are kidding right? You didn't look at the window sticker that gives you the mpg? I think it says 12 in the city but you will probably get less until it breaks in.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • nycrrnycrr Member Posts: 8
    I currently have an 03 blu/parch RR and am thinking about an 05 Westminster for all the new electronics (nav, bluetooth, touch screen....etc) and for lux pkg seats. Also need darker interior since parch is hard to keep clean. Dealer has said that Westminsters do not hold their extra value, and you really don't get much more than the lux seats and 20" wheels. I will go for Silv/blu if I am going to take a big hit on the Westminster. Also want another BMW engine b4 the change. Any views?
    I sort of knew about the gas but I was more into the touch screen radio and it wasn't a top priority. don't really care about mileage as I don't drive much anyway, I love the car and after going to the grocery store everything fit right in... LOVE THIS CAR also love the folding mirrors so I won't smash into the garage trying to park the bus. :) No did not read window sticker as I went online before purchasing the car and ordered it at the dealer.
    someone told me that with the 20" wheels you probably should not raise the ride height. don't know if this is true or not. Personally I would skip on having 20" wheels but that's my view. You could just upgrade your seats on the HSE version. LUV the touch screen and navigation.
    These are an approved Land Rover accessory (for vehicles that do not have them as a factory option) and have been tested and approved for usage with all ride heights.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Why would you want the BMW engine?? IMO, Jaguar engine is just as good and produce slightly more HP (and slightly less torque). In addition, there may be a supercharged Jaguar engine in the near future for the RR.

BMW powertrain is smooth and powerful...but they are not trouble-free.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Exactly what I've been told about the engine too. I would wait for the Jag engine - they've been proven to be excellent in the last decade.
  • mbcyclistmbcyclist Member Posts: 2
    A few weeks ago I received a $1,500 coupon in the mail off the price of a new Range Rover if purchased before 12/31/04. As luck would have it, I seem to have lost the coupon and of course I've found the perfect 05 RR at my local dealer. My wife and I have looked all over the house but I think my 3 year old daughter walked away with it - she keeps telling me it must be playing hide and seek.

I was hoping that someone may have a coupon they don't plan on using or that maybe they can tell me if there is a contact phone number on the coupon somewhere. I have tried going through Land Rover USA but I've had very little luck. Any help would be very, very much appreciated. My email address is sasso.home@verizon.net.

Thanks,
    Augusto
    Sorry, but I threw mine out because mine had said that it was good on the purchase of an 04 RR by 12/31/04. Where there other coupons without that caveat?
  • youngturkyoungturk Member Posts: 30
    Anyone else's driver's seat bottom squeak when taking sharp turns or when your bottom repositions itself?

Mine has just starting doing this in an otherwise flawless, bulletproof '04 with 9k miles.

Any suggestions?
    Sorry, but I threw mine out because mine had said that it was good on the purchase of an 04 RR by 12/31/04. Where there other coupons without that caveat?
  • mbcyclistmbcyclist Member Posts: 2
    Yes. Mine definitely said for the purchase of an 05 by 12/31/04. I have the number of the person at Land Rover that is responsible for this program. I'll call them tomorrow morning and post another message with the information if it all works out. Thanks.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    All of these discount coupons are BS. A little haggle and you will get the same or better deal! I would haggle first, then at the very last moment, take out the coupon for a better deal.
  • quedog1quedog1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, can someone tell me what EUR 3 is. I want to buy a range rover from UK I was told that it was going to cost a lot of money to convert it so it will be able to drive in the states. Can anyone give me some input on this issue.
    Yes, very cost is prohibitive. Vehicles must be approved by NHTSA on an individual basis. After that is successful, it must be imported through a Registered Importer who can performs and certify all necessary US conversion work... and then the vehicle will need to go through an expensive multiple-day EPA emission test, along with more conversion and certification.

Some fun stuff here: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ Enjoy!

Summary: Buy a Range Rover in the US.
  • ecsmithecsmith Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my new 05 RR and am very happy. Looks, feels great. However, I am noticing a humming / howling / whistling when I go over 45mph that seems to be coming from the front windshield or windshield wiper area. It seems like something is catching the wind and creating a "drag" noise or something. I have read posts about the old "good year" tires, but the 05 RR comes with Michelins. Does anyone have any ideas?
    I have a 2005 RR. Sometimes during travel I hear a harmonic sound when I reach 50mph It seems to be coming from the front near the wipers. Like a wind sound. It is not always there. When I take the vehicle out of the warm garage into the cold it seems to happen. The other noght it was there for about 20min at speeds from 50 to 60mph. I thought I read that it may have something to do with the air vents on the hood. Does anyone have any ideas.
  • youngturkyoungturk Member Posts: 30
    That's a well-known problem that plagued some '03 and '04 Rangie's - surprised it's still on an '05. The good news is the fix is simple - the dealer simply reseals the lower part of the windshield where it meets the hood. Hope that helps.

YoungTurk
    '04 Range Rover
    Java/Sand
    YoungTurk,

Thanks for the advice- will take to dealer soon. Do you know of any other Range Rover message boards that are worth frequenting?

-ecsmith
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The topic is the Land Rover Range Rover - not other forums.

tidester, host
  • jonjon1jonjon1 Member Posts: 7
    I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 2005 Range Rover in December.

I'm trying to get a feel for what the out-the-door price is going to be right now for the 2005's. Would I have to pay sticker? How much under the sticker would I able able to negotiate down right now?

I am in Los Angeles. It seems like everybody is driving these out here. Do you know whether I'll be able to get a good deal in SoCal compared to other parts of CA?

Also. Does anybody have the discount coupons that I've been reading about or know how I can get one? Thanks.
    Were you able to contact ther person at Land Rover who is responsible for the discount coupon program?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    yep, I had this on my '03 and resealing the windshield fixed it, mostly. ;-) it's still not as quiet as the LX470 I came from, it is more of a brick shape after all so expect some wind noise.
    Yes I know exactly what you are talking about, same with my '05
    Can anyone tell me if the RR is suppose to come with floor mats? the dealer told me no they do not and insisted the carpet is made to wear direct. The guy that washes my car told me I should get some floor mats but I hate to buy something that is not made specifically for the car. HELP! I don't know anyone else with a RR to ask...
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    Well after reading these posts for over a year I finally did it. 2005 Giverny Green with Aspen interior Ivory piping & of course 20" Wheels.
    This was no quick decision when I heard the touch screen nav & Bluetooth were in the 05's I passed on the 04 I also wanted the BMW engine so I didn't want to wait too long. It's been about a month 1800 miles & I love it. I drove from San Diego to San Francisco last week & it was like stepping out of first class after crossing the atlantic, the car is amazing phone/nav system superb. I don't think I got a particular great deal ($2K off sticker) but I guess it's supply & demand, although I found the dealership here in San Diego a pleasure to work with. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's contributed to this site, I found it to be invaluable in making my decision. For those of you that are considering buying one don't think to hard, it really is an amazing vehicle extremly capable & totaly unassuming. Of course it's got it's quirks the CD player jammed the first day & I had to get the wheels balanced twice there's no cup holder for the driver, the rear windows are somewhat dark especially when reversing at night but if thats all I've got to worry about life's pretty good.
    Land Rovers do not come with mats, but they are available from your dealer. They can get both carpeted or rubber mats.
    I purchased the rubber mat liner for the back & two for the front (all genuine Land rover parts a lot cheaper than the dealership) from Atlantic British on the east coast. Not sure of the web site address phone # 1 800 533 2210.
    THANKS!!!! I knew they had mats, grrrrr. They should have given them to me.
  • ttalonettalone Member Posts: 7
    Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences regarding the 19" vs. 20" tires and setup. Looking to purchase my '05 RR and I like the looks the 20's (like most) but do not want to suffer my ride quality. I've talked to several dealers and, well, like you would expect, I get half that say the 19" are smoother / better and the other half saying the 20's are a better ride quality. All say very little difference though. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thx Tom
    I opted for the 20" Wheels. I've had a minor problem with a slight vibration between 60-65mph it's going in again on Friday. I am not sure how much this has to do with the fact they are 20" but it seems currently not many places are equipped for balancing 20" wheels. The ride quality seems fine to me, I really didn't notice a difference after test driving the 04's fitted with both sizes.
  • schebscheb Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know the proposed changes for the 2006 model Range Rover? (not the sport)

Thanks
    Stuff from the LR3 is rumored to be moved over, the V8 Jag engine, Terrain Response etc. Hmm, why not just buy an LR3 now? ;-)
    Looks legit. http://autoindex.org/news.plt?no=984

Maybe I'll wait and see instead of getting a new RR or LR3. ;-)
    and a sneak preview from LR in the UK: http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/overview.htm on the bottom right.
  • michaeltwmichaeltw Member Posts: 2
    Hi 1236, I noticed in post #508, you wrote about the driver not having a cup holder. I don't believe they changed that for '05, but in my '03, it's on the opposite side of the e-brake handle.

You press down and it pops up and out. It's really adjustable and I think it's one of the best cupholders I've had in a car.

I was at the dealer on Friday putting my name on the list for the Sport, and I checked out the LR3 and the '05 RR, that touchscreen is great. If the Sport is disapointing in person, I'll switch back to the RR.
    I just had 1400 mile on 05 RR. Coming from BMW X5 3.0, the RR seemed much noiser, both at accelaration and cruising. The constant engine humming at 70-75 mph is somewhat annoying. I read reviews about RR, all claiming RR is library/vault quite. Is this my uniqe truck doing this? I have to admit that the touch screen is much better than that on 04/03 modles. The exterior styling the the best part of the truck.
    and now the press release from Ford: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=19670&ma- ke_id=trust

Iwonder how they will price the Sport with the supercharged engine. Maybe I should hold off buying an 05 RR
    Does anybody know how to get the discount coupon/rebate or have one that they don't plan to use? I'm desperate for one. Please email me if you have one or know how to get one. jonjon32@yahoo.com

Thanks.
    to the hosts,

i tried to open up a new discussion in the Land Rover Range Rover Sport area but you closed it. I'm not sure why since this is a brand new vehicle on a new chassis etc. etc., and not just an RR with fancy trim. It should have its own group now that the vehicle has been announced by Land Rover/Ford. Or am I missing something here? thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Since the Sport won't be here until 2006 (right?), the best place to start a separate discussion about it is over in Future Vehicles.

We'll ask Kirstie to get it going.

Steve, Host