Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    But your left arm would come in handy for holding your Slurpee.

Haven't seen you around lately Countsmackula1 - missed your, er, imitable style of posting.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    Wait about 2 years & the price should drop dramatically on a used one. That interior is beautiful. Great design.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    The 2003 RR is finally at dealers.....I've driven it....it's great!
  • shehzadshehzad Posts: 52
    I had no idea it was out already---I'll be at my dealer first thing after work tommorrow. I can't wait.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    I am not really a SUV fan but I test drove the new Range Rover this morning on a break. Incredible machine. The interior is gorgeous, the ride is not as good as my MB S-class but very good, better than most luxury cars. I asked the saleman the damage for the model he had with the HD headlights and heated seats as well as the light guards. Almost 75K...With taxes and delivery he said I could order and 3 months and 79K later drive one. I think I will keep my E500 order but this was tempting
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    I just got one in :)

It came off the transporter last night.

Tincup, take a bow. As usual, you guys did one hell of a job. But the real test will be on Sunday at the Ocala National Forest... Its' gonna get muddy!

Maybe I will have the distinction of being the first to cover an 03 with mud (Company service vehicles excludedI imagine) in America?

Lets' see if I like it as much as my "baby" (95 Anniversary LWB) and see if it gets clkeaned up in time on Monday to take it to auction on Tuesday!

Bill
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Thanks for the kind words. I think they hit a grand slam with this one! From what I've heard from people who have had these off-road, this is probably the most capable, comfortable off-road vehicle Land Rover has ever produced. It definitly is the best on-road Land Rover ever produced, I have had an opportunity to drive one on road.
    But of course!

NOW BRING THE DEFNDER BACK IN!!!! ARRGH!!!

:)

It is outstanding on road. I was very impressed. In fact, I was concerned about its' off-road ability.

100mph? Smooth and silent. I mean, this thing is amazing! The handling and steering response.. excellent.

I think it is as good on-road as an X5. And we all know how the X5 is useless off-road.

Maybe I can hit a construction site with it tonight! heheheh..

Bill
    The Range Rover is light years ahead of the X5 off-road, Land Rover engineering came up with an ingenious way to have independent suspension mimic a live axle vehicle off road by tying the air suspension on each end together side to side. So when you have one wheel pushed up by the terrain, there is an increase in pressure to the other side, extending that wheel. This leads to very good axle articulation without the loss of ground clearance that usually accompanies independent suspension. Most of the people I have talked to that have driven this vehicle off road say that it is fantastic, some even say it makes it too easy, takes most of the challenge out of off roading ;)

Also everyone at LRNA want's the Defender back also, but due to the same budgetary and personnel concerns that have delayed the Jaguar F-type, this has also been delayed :(
    I was reading about that. I did use it about 20 mins ago on a cigarette run.. and I did just hop a few curbs and stuff and was quite impressed as I hoped I would be. That it is light years ahead of an X5 does not surprise me. An old LWB with blown-out air suspension is still light years ahead of an X5..lol

It sounds like a really cool system. Shame more owners dont take 'em off-road though. I still like the "edgier" feel of the classics.. and I wouldnt sell my 95 for all the tea in China, but this new one is blowing me away.

I really do hope you guys get the Defender back in here. Someone needs to make the Hummer look foolish again! I always wondered why the 110 was a 1993 MY only truck tho.

Bill
    The NAS D110 was a special project to prepare the US market for the corporate change from Range Rover North America to Land Rover North America in anticipation of the importation of the Discovery in 1994. There were only 500 brought into the US in 93 but it took until late 94 to sell them all. That is the main reason they were not continued. The D90 was also a very low volume vehicle, there were les than 10,000 total sold in the 3 years they were available in the US, 94,95,97. Most 94's and 95's sat on the retailers lots for quite a while. The 97's went pretty quick once it was announced that it would be the last year of importation, but moved slowly before that announcement.
  • noammnoamm Posts: 2
    I had the car for 5 days:
    Car started shaking uncontrolably and service engine soon light went off-that is after 91 miles!!! Engine failure the dealer said
    Dash board lights (instrument panel) defective
    Door hinges -defective
    The dealer doesnt know when I am going to get the navigation discs.
    Sunglasses holder broke.
    THE CAR IS TERRIBLE!!!
    Yikes, this is disappointing......I'm expecting mine any day now. Any other lemons out there? I'm sure any new car has a few problems, but surely the BMW engine is proven? I know production started in November 2001, but any idea when your "lemon" was built, and has the dealer had any problems with other delivered cars?
    I haven't heard of any major issues with the 2003 Range Rover. Take reports like noamms with a grain of salt. While any manufacturer can and does build occasional lemons, they are never representative of the majority of their products. If noamm posts the last 8 of his VIN, I would be happy to check the build date.
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Posts: 32
    Sounds to me like noamns just posting this to get everyone excited about nothing. Let's see if he gives tincup the VIN so he can check it out. I test drove this vehicle when the preview team was in Chicago and it was amazing.
    I have a 2000 DII with 35,000 miles with no issues. The only problem I have with it is that it refuses to give me a reason to trade it in on a 2003 Range Rover.
    As of today, no Land Rover retailers in the US or Canada have ordered either a short block or stripped engine. If noamm has had a major engine issue, I'm sure we would have an order for one.
  • jstylejstyle Posts: 129
    A friend in Bradford England has been driving his for about 3 months or so and not a single issue. In fact he told me he was amazed that after some serious off roading there wasn't a rattle or the like at all. If you want a jacked up sedan by a ML or BMW X. But for a serious off roader with incredible appointments the Range Rover is the only name in the game.
  • noammnoamm Posts: 2
    I posted a message stating that my car was a lemon and that it had an engine failure.
    I must correct myself. The car had an engine problen which seem big to ME, but after couple of days at the dealer they figured it out and it was a small distribution dampness issue. All the other little thing are taking care of by the dealer and the company. I must say tha that the dealer treated me exceptionaly well, far far better than my experiences with BMW or MB. I must say that now that kinks are out, it is by the far the best car I have ever had--It is simply incredible, like riding Rolls. So, forgive me for the hooha-you know how it is with anew car. Engoy everobody. It is well, well, well worth it.
    I'm trying to decide whether to lease or buy an '03 Range Rover. My concerns boil down to what has been a vehicle with a heavy depreciation in the past.
    If I buy, (4.9% is quoted) and borrow, am I going to end-up with an "upside down" deal, say in 3 years?
    If I lease, will the old models heavy depreciation be figured into the terms.
    Has anyone been quoted lease rates on the '03?
    Sorry for delay.. I have been away for a while.

OK, I got an 03 Rangey in stock (God does it help to have a LR Dealer as a good client!) and just sold it to a good customer of mine.

He LOVES it.

I LOVED IT!

I never loved the 4.0SE and 4.6HSE.. I am in love with my 95 Anniversary County LWB (Classic) that you can buy from my widow :)

This freaking thing amazed me. Off-Road Ability? WOW! Freaking UNREAL! This is the closest to a D90 I have had off-road. Outstanding ability. And I got it very very dirty.

I put 2,100 miles on it and not a single hiccup. Total perfection. Truck now has nearly 3K on it and it's been perfect.

As far as Buy/Lease... see what the Money Factor is. if it's low, do that, and then you have residual protection to boot.

Bill
  • crimattcrimatt Posts: 18
    Well, just got back from the dealer and boy have I got some news...

First, this new rendition is a real beaut! From its exterior styling to the interior, there isn't any SUV iteration out there that comes close to topping this bad boy!

Now, the disappointing news. Sat down for a quick review of the leasing programs currently offerered. sam818: Dude, unfortunately, the prior year RRs are killing the leasing terms on this baby.

24,36, and 39-month lease programs (12K mi/yr):

Price: 73145 (w/ heated seat package)
    Money factor: .00280
    Taxes/fees paid upfront
    Residuals: 24mth-61%, 36mth-52%, 39mth-48%
    Lux. Tax: NONE (wooo...)
    Sec. Dep. : 749
    Bottom line: The upfront fees will be in excess of $5000 and the monthly payment will be at minimum 1300.

I quickly got up and exited--stage left...
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    "Never one to sway with trends, Land Rover rolls out the third new Range Rover in 33 years. See how we like this British boulder-basher."

First Drive: 2003 Land Rover Range Rover

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• esmocesmoc Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any luck finding out invoice pricing on the 03's? I've searched everywhere to no avail. I've been by two local dealers and they swear they won't discount sticker but will talk about possibly throwing in some accessories (mats, roof rack, etc.) When I bought my BMW M3 Conv. they said the same thing but ended up discounting the car by 5.5K off MSRP. Anyone had any experience getting the dealers to work w/ you on price or maybe discounting?
    As the dealers are having no trouble selling them at full MSRP, I doubt if you'll find much discounting of them. They are in short supply and the demand has been quite high for this vehicle. Most are presold before the dealers get them.
  • esmocesmoc Posts: 2
    Thanks tincup47 -- that's consistent with what I've seen so far. Seems like the dealers are having little trouble moving the 03's even though the economy is slowing a bit -- cheap money helps alot! Any intel on the invoice pricing of the vehicle and some of the accessories? Specifically, the wrap around brush guard, lamp kit, roof rack system and carpet floor mats?

Thanks.
  • unpolireunpolire Posts: 7
    This is actually the official name of the 2003 Range Rover. I would recommend its use for future new columns on the topic. Accordingly, the name of the face-lifted 2003 Discovery is, you guessed it, "New Discovery."
    Actually Range Rover is the official name for the new model. It is referred to internally as L322 (the model code) and externally as New Range Rover to help differentiate it from the 4.0-4.6 (95-02)series Range Rovers (which were also called New Range Rover when they came out). For the new 2003 Discovery, they have dropped the series designation that the Discovery Series II used. It is just the Discovery, "new" is not part of the official name.
    My 2003 RR has been perfect....it rides wonderfully, is beautifully detailed and totally reliable, however, it has developed one minor malfunction, which I also noticed on a demonstrator before I took delivery: the "Up-Down" electrical adjustment on the steering column has stopped working. (The telescoping action is OK) I am sure it's fixable, however, I am curious to find out if anyone else has this problem.
    That has been the only problem that has cropped up in any numbers. A fix is in the woorks in the UK.
  • I've seen some complaints about the lack of automatic dusk sensing headlights on the new RR. Does anyone know if it was a conscious decision not to put them in and if so, why?

Not that it would be a deal-breaker for me, but it does seem odd. Unless BMW doesn't usually put them in either.