Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    May-June 2005 for 2006 Range Rover Sport is the current guess. Marketing says "mid-2005". Yes, a Future Vehicle for now.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    sounds good. thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Kirstie must have been heading out when I emailed her a few hours ago; hopefully it won't be too much longer to get it going.

[edit] D'oh, here it is:

eelpout "Range Rover Sport - 2006" Nov 28, 2004 2:23pm

Steve, Host
  • youngturkyoungturk Member Posts: 30
    The LR3 is nice but too utilitarian and ultimately boring for me. No panache, no buzz, no 'snob appeal.'

No one will pry my '04 Rangie (Java/Sand) out of my hands.

YoungTurk
  • ajn999ajn999 Member Posts: 16
    You are right, its not a Range Rover.The rear end is a little ugly. The gas tank filler door doesn't lock, there is no express down for anything other than the driver's window, I cant figure out if the steering wheel has a heat button and the leather interior has no colored piping! However,the extra 25,000 grand in my bank account now makes me feel a bit snobby still and my kids still call it a Range Rover. It has 3 glass moonroofs and a 3rd seat...if that's not living large what is? Besides, people always tended to make fun of me when I would load up my $80,000 Range Rover with top soil, trees, plants and whatever else I could find at Home Depot!
    No buying and selling on Edmunds' forums please (including coupons). Email if you have questions.

Steve, Host
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    have you tried driving the LR3? compared to the 03-05' Rover it's quieter, the ride is less busy (though hard bumps may come through a bit more) and it has better acceleration. this will be a rebuilding year for the Rover and I think it will lose sales to the LR3 until 2006 when it picks up some of the LR3's advances.

$25K gets you more of a sedan like interior, better leather, wood, power steering column, more adjustable seats, waterfall lighting and a heated steering wheel. Oh and snob appeal. ;-)

I don't know, when I return my '03 RR next year at the end of its lease I may be leaving with an LR3 (unless the Sport is out! :-) ).
  • jonjon1jonjon1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to purchase a Silver 05' RR. Is the charcoal or the sand colored leather interior looks better with a Silver exterior and walnut interior trim? I am also concerned with how the leather interior [especially the front seat] holds up over time. I kind of like the way the sand color looks, but I think it might be hard to keep clean. But I have a friend who has a charcoal interior which has a lot of creases and cracks on the seats. Any comments would be appreciated.

Can anybody comments on whether the extra 4K on the luxury interior is worth it? How about the extra 4K for the 20" wheels? If you had to pick one or the other which one would you pick?

As you can see I have a lot of big decisions to make.

Thanks for any insight or help you can give me.
    I agree the Charcoal is prone to creases and cracks somewhat prematurely. By contrast my Sand interior (Java Black) after 8 months hasn't and doesn't.

I don't believe Sand is available for the Silver however - Parchment is, which is lighter than Sand, and has the navy piping and carpet. I'm also not sure if the walnut wood is available with the Silver/Parchment interior. FWIW, the walnut in my Java/Sand is absolutely beautiful.

My Java/Sand is a 'base' model so I can't comment whether the luxury interior or the 20" wheels are worth the $4k asking price for each.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

YoungTurk
    '04 Range Rover - Java/Sand
  • jpnalajpnala Member Posts: 6
    Is anyone having bluetooth connection issues ? My blackberry 7100t recognizes the car but the car won't accept the connection. I am hearing there are widespread problems.
  • djt21djt21 Member Posts: 13
    In reply to Lexus vs. RR. I previously owned an LX470 and decided to switch to a RR in 04. I found the RR to be more appealing from an exterior and interior styling standpoint. I enjoyed the sense of knowing I could go anywhere in any condition if I had to. But after 7 months of ownership I started experiencing electrical gremlins, unusual vibrations, power window issues and squeaks and rattles. I also began to revaluate the miserable nav. system (04 model) and came to the conclusion that in the Lexus I had a more durable, reliable and user friendly truck. I'll be the first to admit that its styling is boring compared to the RR, but 70K is a lot to spend on anything in life, and I wasn't getting my moneys worth in the RR. I traded the RR in for a 2004 LX because: I know it'll always start, probably never break down, it'll last close to forever, I can now actually use the nav. system and the damn headlights will go on and off without me having to do it manually (shouldn't anything over 30K have auto headlights?). If you do go with the RR hopefully you'll have a better truck than I had. Good luck in your decision making process.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Odd, since that's a BMW motor up there.......
    I agree with 100% - but frankly, Lexus just got the automatic headlights a few short years ago, where my Cadillac and Lincolns have had them for 20 years.....
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    The Lexus is SO due for an update. I'll be interested to see what it will look like as I am SO close to changing to another SUV. The RR is nice looking as is the LR3. I just wish the RR has a third seat option.

Way back, I was interested in a Cadillac Escalade but have moved closer to the RR and LR3. The smaller exterior diminsions is what I actually need. I go to Los Angeles a lot and the parking garages are very tight. I realize now that parking a really large vehicle might be a problem in the way that I use them.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • nabzynabzy Member Posts: 29
    Hey Everybody,

Had my 04 white/parchment Range Rover here in Saudi for 9 mths now, so far so good....one quick question, I didnt get any stereo/phone/entertainment system type manuals, and was wondering if there is an aux input anywhere in the car so I can plug my MP3 player in.....

Cheers,
    Nabzy
    White/Parchments sounds like a beautiful combination that, unfortunately, isn't offered in the US. My '04 Java Black/Sand doesn't have any auxiliary inputs, and I don't think '05s offer it either. Be aware though that companies like densionusa.com offer auxilliary input kits for vehicles, including our Rangies.

The reviews have been good but I want mine to remain as factory original as possible.

YoungTurk
  • jchris2000jchris2000 Member Posts: 9
    I did opt for both (luxury interior and 20" wheels), yet given the choice I would go with the 20's. I think that the 20's just balance out the overall vehicle's size better.

And although I love my luxury interior, I would not be disappointed with the standard. Silver ext. comes in either parchment or charcoal int. Personally, I think the contrast piping is so signature RR, so parchment has my vote. Plus it stunning with the cherry wood. Charcoal does look great with silver though too. Do consider your climate/heat factor where you are too.

HTH!
    Joanne

'04 RR
    *Adriatic Blue
    *Parchment
    *Cherry
    *Luxury interior
    *20's
    *Additional cherry trim package
    *Running boards
    White/Parchments sounds like a beautiful combination that, unfortunately, isn't offered in the US. My '04 Java Black/Sand doesn't have any auxiliary inputs, and I don't think '05s offer it either. Be aware though that companies like densionusa.com offer auxilliary input kits for vehicles, including our Rangies.

The reviews have been good but I want mine to remain as factory original as possible.

YoungTurk
    I think I have narrowed my choices to the Silver/Parchment/Walnut and Black/Sand/Walnut color combinations. Do you know whether the Parchment color interior and leather easy to clean and keep clean? Which exterior color [Silver, Black] will hold up better over time to the rain, local car wash, etc? I'll probably be parking it outside most of the time. I'm still undecided about the options? Can't make up my mind over the 20's or luxury interior? I guess I could settle for the cold weather package, but i also feel like i might regret it later if I don't get the luxury package instead. I also like the way it looks with 20's. Oh gosh. I'm so confused. Let me know if you have any comments or feedback that will make these decisions easier. Thanks.
    You definitely sound like a silver exterior candidate. Black is stunning when spotless, yet requires *much* pampering. Plus it seems everyone has black vehicles these days (around here anyway), so it is nice to be different. Yet, consider what it is like in your area.

If doing silver, I personally *love* the Parchment. Plus, it offers the cherry wood, which you should absolutely view before committing to walnut (if you want a pic, let me know and I will take one of mine and e-mail to you). Yes, it is relatively low maintenance, yet I don't have kids or dogs right now; if you do, I'd do charcoal.

Re: luxury interior, keep in mind you can always upgrade to the 20's later. If you get the 20's now, be sure to check the spare to make sure it is also a 20 when you pick it up.

HTH!
    Joanne
    Joanne,

I'm in LA. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you email me some pics of your parchment color interior? I don't have kids or a dog so I guess it should not be too much of a hassle to go parchment.

jonjon32@yahoo.com
    Do any of you who own 2003-2005 RR have a hard time parking in compact spaces? Is it too tight? Living LA, it is always hard to find parking so I wanted to consider this aspect as well before I take the plunge. I have seen a few parked in compact spaces before but I never really took a good look to see how tight it fit into those spaces.

Thanks.
  • ttalonettalone Member Posts: 7
    I hear that all '03+ RR have these same noise(s). When you open the door or use the remote key entry, you 1st hear a fan(s) moving and

making "noise", this only last for about 10 secs, then you will hear a fan blower either transferring air to the engine and from the engine right below dash, passenger side. Dealer said normal? Do other people hear these to and any fixes, or these are just features of the RR? Also has anyone added Satellite radio to the RR yet. I have an '05 and looking to at Satellite Radio, Owners manual talks about - but no luck in actually trying to get one installed. Thx Tom
    Is this a trick question? "Compact" parking spaces are for cars classified as compact... which the Range Rover isn't. ;) No, it doesn't fit comfortably unless you like door digs or getting vandalized...
    Last that I heard, North America 2005 Range Rover does not offer a satellite radio option. Those references in the Owner's Manual can be ignored for now, along with the references to the VentureCam.

If you want satellite radio, you'll need to use a 3rd party external solution.
    You've got mail (pics sent).
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    I had a Kenwood Sirius satellite receiver installed in my 2003 RR a few months ago. The head unit fits perfectly into the flip down sunglasses holder, and the receiver fits under the navigation box in the driver's side rear. My installer did a hook up into the CD changer so that in order to listen to the satellite receiver, you must have a CD playing. That direct connection gives the best sonic performance.
    With all the talk on how good the LR3 is, a post extolling the many virtues of the Range Rover is certainly in order. Though there are several reasons why I absolutely love my '04 Rangie (Java/Sand), the main reason is its versatility. For me, it is several different cars wrapped up in one.

First, as a former 2001 Porsche Boxster owner (which along with my Rangie are the 2 best cars I've ever owned), who needed a back seat to help my wife with kid hauling, I needed a car whose performance excited me and kept me engaged. The Rangie does that in spades. Lower all the windows and open the sunroof (all with onetouch buttons), put the shifter in manual mode and you'd almost think you're driving a 5 speed BMW convertible.

Second, as an elected official and a very successful lawyer, the car had to be prestigious and cut a very distinctive presence. The Range Rover does that as well. Whether arriving at the courthouse, my place of public service or parking in front of a trendy cafe, the Range Rover exudes class, wealth and power - all in a tastefully understated way.

Third, the car had to get me up to my ranch 350 miles away from our home - 100 acres of hilly, rugged and rocky terrain, with a house atop a 2000' peak. My Range Rover tackles all that with absolutely no problem, while bathing me in the most elegant of surroundings possible.

Never underestimate what your car looks like as you get into it. As someone with an appreciation for aesthetics in general and interiors in particular, the Range Rover's Sand interior is both beautiful and masculine at the same time. It is truly one of a kind and makes other 'luxury car' interiors look contrived, cheap and phony.

It is rare that one vehicle does so many different things as well as the Range Rover does. Destined to be a classic, the new Range Rover is literally in a class all by itself.

YoungTurk

'04 Range Rover (Java/Sand)
  • ajn999ajn999 Member Posts: 16
    Youngturk: yeah thats fine but this is the LR3 site. Besides, I just traded my 03 "rangie" for the LR3. I saved $25,000, lost some wood trim and leather piping and gained a superior performing vehicle with a nice new look. OK, I'm stuck with a key that cannot be linked to a keychain and my hands get cold now that I dont have a heated steering wheel but thats about it. Enough said???

ajn999

05 LR3 Java / tan beige (whatever) with a woodtrim kit that blows away the old "rangie"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can find that discussion here: Land Rover LR3

tidester, host
  • ecsmithecsmith Member Posts: 4
    Strange thing happened with my 2005 audio system: Audio system was transferring fine between CD and Radio, until today when the system will not let me go to CD and will not even recognize that there is a CD magazine in place (CD changer will also not eject the magazine currently inserted). Bottom line, CD system has lost contact with the audio system.

Is there any way to reset the audio or CD system so it can re-establish contact with the CD changer?
  • jpnalajpnala Member Posts: 6
    I have had the same problem several times. When I turn the car off then back on it works again. The steering wheel controls also spot working when this occured. My amp went out and was replaced and no problems since. I had 2 03's before the 05 and all had stereo problems.
  • sam818sam818 Member Posts: 127
    The fan noise is subtle and NORMAL. When you enter the car, a small fan passes air over an interior air temperature sensor to pre-determine the best setting for the automatic climate control once you start the engine. How is that for sophistication?

Only problem was on a few early 2004 models where the fan would continue to run if you either opened the door, or put the key in the ignition without actually starting.

The fan would then continue to run and the battery would be dead over a period of a day or so.

The problem was fixed on those cars with a dealer installed wiring fix.
    I just recently pulled out the gray ash tray insert from the well in the center console, next to the pop-out cupholder. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner - now I can store my Treo 650 in the well, or my iPod mini with iTrip, or my Sony Ericsson Bluetooth headset.

Who else has removed the ashtray insert and what do you store in the little well?

YoungTurk
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    Hi michaeltw, thanks for your reply post #518

I had no idea that the cup holder was there, apparently the sales person didn't either.

I've got 4600 miles on the my 05 & I love it.

It concerns me that the oil change is only every 15K has anybody out there decided to change the oil sooner just to be on the safe side?

Thanks, 1236
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    I really like the 05 RR, and I specify 05 because they have gone to voice recognition, bluetooth, and fiber optics tecnologies, along with a useful navigation system with Touch Screen. I think the truck is gorgeous, in an anti-truck way. Very conservative, and yet bold and classy. The interior is art (and I don't say these things about cars), but that is how striking the Range Rover is to me. I really desire one. But, is this the same old Land Rover product, with problem after problem? I am scared to death of taking the plunge, and becoming a victom of the british car maker curse.

I would like to read experiences from RR owners, specifically about QC issues.

Also has anyone heard of when FOMOCO will begin imposing it's will on the RR?

Thanks
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    They already have. The new Nav system and other systems you like have been designed since Ford owned Land Rover. Ford is not heavy handed with it's PAG vehicles like GM has been with Saab. You're not going to see a Lincoln Navigator with a Range Rover badge like the Saab 9-7x is a rebadged GMC Envoy. You will see ongoing improvements in the Range Rover and with all Land Rover products. These include Jaguar based V8 engines that have been redesigned to fulfill the off-road requirements a Land Rover has to have along with power outputs for competitive on-road performance.

There has also been a big push to improve quality and reliability on the vehicles. As new models are developed this will be easier as they can design in quality rather than trying to repair existing inherited problems. I believe you will see Land Rover moving up the JD Power IQS ratings to the same levels Jaguar has attained.
    You can only expect improvement from whatever Ford imposes on Land Rover, they can't hurt it. They have done nothing but improve Jaguar quality and performance and yet leave them as distinctive and independent in design as ever. Ford will save Land Rover, if anybody can, and make them a respectable marque once again. No, I don't work for Ford :) Just from what I observed they have done with Aston Martin, Jaguar & Volvo.
    I apologize if I sound anti-Ford. I am. The cars Ford designs for it's own brand are usually sub-par, and have been for decades. Though credit must be given for their accomplishments with Jaguar.

I am so torn. Logic dictates the purchase of an LX or even an LC for it's well deserved reputation for QC and reliability. My heart (and my ego)longs for the RR for it's ageless beauty and exclusiveness.

Could we form a coalition and demand that Toyota purchase Land Rover ;}
    Toyota Land Rover Cruiser is a bit of a mouthful!

Steve, Host
    "The cars Ford designs for it's own brand are usually sub-par, and have been for decades."

Well, you may not like them, but that generalization is just not correct. If it were, they'd be in the scrap heap like DeSoto, Studebaker, Rambler, Oldsmobile. You think todays Land Rover is better built than todays Ford? You're smokin' something. Again, you may not like them, I don't like to drive them myself, they're plain and rough and often uncomfortable, and noisy, but Ford has changed the course of the Automobile more than once on this planet, more than any other manufacturer on this planet can say, from the Model T, to the Pony Car, to the Taurus, to the SUV, and they may have done it again with the Tall Sedan now. We'll see.

Back on topic, what they have done with their PAG as was formerly stated here, has been nothing short of miraculous - infusing quality, modern design and engineering, style and management into Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston Martin, without putting a single Ford powerplant or transmission under the hood. If anything, you can now find more Volvo parts on my Lincoln, than the reverse. Pretty smart if you ask me. In the process, they just about bankrupted themselves, but Volvo makes good money as does Aston Martin (miraculously). Jaguar and Rover have yet to, but must do so soon and I think they will.

The Rover you buy today will be the BMW design, so if you're still a Fordophobe, you should be ok, but don't plan on a maintenance free relationship with it. The next RR design will be Ford inspired, that one may make a believer out of you - or not. Either way.
    Well I don't believe I am generalizing about Fords, but I guess it can come down to what one views as sub-par. Your question does Land Rover make better built cars than Ford is exactly what is so vexing about Range Rovers. Ford where "bean counters" rule the roost, and every part must be compatible with 5 different models, a substandard car is inevitable and understandable. But the Range Rover is spared no expense from what I see, is widely recognized as the most luxurious SUV in the world, is peerless in it's offroad capabilities, and can match or exceed the finest luxury cars in onroad comfort and ride quality. Why does this magnificent vehicle break so much??? Through some quirk, the sum is actually greater than it's parts.......and in the Range Rovers case, that is not a good thing!

Forgive the rant! How long do you believe it will take Ford to turn the corner with Land Rover?

Do you know of anyone that has purchased an 05 Range Rover and is experiencing a more trouble free ownership? Why do you feel a completely Ford designed Range Rover will make a "believer" of me?

Thank you for your insights

mgreene

p.s. I don't smoke
    1-It may be a few years yet, the new RR is a BMW design, and while not a bad design, all the BMW SUVs have actually been maintenance disasters so far. The X5 is now up to 16 recalls I think. The first improvement going into it will be the the Jaguar engine in 06. Gonna take time.

2- No, not yet.

3- Just from what I've seen them do with Jaguar in the last decade. It's been nothing but positive from a product standpoint.

I don't smoke either, and you are a gentleman. These are merely my observations. YMMV
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    O:utrigger, people tell me that a used pre-'03 RR is a good car IF you factor in the sure to happen problems with the air bags. Apparently, the best solution is to simply buy an aftermarket coil spring kit for 4K or so.

Any thoughts??
  • fionawfionaw Member Posts: 1
    RR o5 or the lexus lx/gx - as crazy as it seems, looking for the the car had to be prestigious and cut a very distinctive presence but like the level of reliability of the lexus plus their nav is way better, power on the lx is less than that of the large lx?? As an executive, clients in teh car, not sure the lx or better speed ofthe gx quite gives the image that the rr gvies..
  • michaeltwmichaeltw Member Posts: 2
    It's coming and it's supercharged:

Ford Media Site
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    I'm not sure that the air suspension bags are a sure-fire problem. Even if they need R&R at some time, weigh the benefits (smooth ride and great handling) against the loss of those benefits to "save money" by switching to steel springs. I forget how much it costs to refit to steel springs, but I recall it's not all that cheap either.

Sorry about the delayed response. I was on vacation over xmas week.
  • shugurlshugurl Member Posts: 22
    My husband makes fun of my 05 RR b/c it's boxy big and the brakes don't work as well as his BMW. Yawn I know, anywho while driving it tonight we discovered b/c of too much silence that my radio is not working. The screen just says Land Rover. HELP is this broken, did this happen to anyone else? Also, can I play my ipod in this car? I haven't tried and I'm too lazy to read the books. Please help me....
    OK my husband to the rescue. He pulled the fuse and it reset or something. why did this happen?
    It is such a fun great car for cruising. The brakes don't exactly stop on a dime but the comfort is fantastic. Wouldn't recommend one if you travel on the highway a lot. The touch screen is great, sound system good and they seats fold down in an instant if you need to move something. I love this car but it is a bit unique looking. Now you get full maintenance and the dealerships even have movie theatres inside, they will pick up your car and basically do almost anything for you. very nice people and being that you buy their top end they service you before others.