Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    john195john195 Member Posts: 1
    Brian: I had a 2001 Odyssey whose trans was replaced by Honda at 65k, now at 140 K, a complete failure. What did Honda do for you? They have taken a day and a half so far to get me no answer from their Company rep and won't order the part even if I pay for it!! Has anyone gotten two trans out ofd them? What can I expect. there is of course a 7 yr, 100 k extended warranty of transmissions, but can that help me on the replacement?

John
  • Options
    vafamilymanvafamilyman Member Posts: 4
    Hey experts. I need your help. Have a 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Rear Entertainment System...has 71900 miles. I'm the second owner (total of 6.5 weeks owned). Tonight, the Malfunction Indicator Light (named in the owner's manual) came on while driving on the interstate. We know it's not a gas cap issue since it was filled up 5 days ago and it now has 1/2 a tank of gas.

Anyone here experienced this problem? If so, what was your fix? I'm guessing for me right now, the best thing to do is go to Advance Auto or Autozone here in town to see if they can code scan it??? I don't even know where the service port is on this vehicle. Thoughts. Thanks and God Bless You (and The United States of America).
  • Options
    So as an update, I took the 2004 Honda Odyssey to Autozone and had it code tested. The code came out to be P1456. This indicated 4 possible problem areas (in autozones computer)...

1) Gas cap
    2) Evacuation Canister
    3) & 4) some solenoid things (forgot)

ANY ONE RUN INTO THIS BEFORE? I've searched previous posts and it seams everyone that has run into this problem hasn't found a viable solution. HELP!!!!
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    first thing you should try is after filling up, always make sure you hear several clicks when putting on the cap. if after a week or so with several start cycles, then it might go out.

i believe the emissions system is covered under a longer warranty than the 3yr/36000mi. look into it.
  • Options
    mmoore2522mmoore2522 Member Posts: 1
    We filled up the tank on our 2004 Odyssey and the fuel indicator went completely empty with the fuel light coming on. Doesn't move. Gas tank is full. Been driving for a few days and still won't move. HO has 45k miles. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    UPDATE:

1) I called Honda of America; the only recall is for a transmission problem. No emissions system extensions...

2) I was told by a Honda Master Tech (schooling from Honda + >8 yrs of experience)
    that the P1456 code thrown by my Odyssey is a TANK SIDE emission problem. If it were a solenoid purge valve/vapor canister, etc., it would have thrown a P1457.

3) Knowing that, I thought it foolish not to try buying a new gas cap. Went to autozone, bought a nonvented cap ($6.99)...OBD II scanned again...code P1456. Had the A'Zone guy reset/clear the code. Put on the new gas cap, making sure it clicked atleast 3 times after tightening...then had him run the scan...NO TROUBLE CODES.

4) Drove a couple of miles yesterday after the fact and the light hasn't returned *looks up to heaven, and prays to Jesus*

5) Will update in 2 weeks or so...
  • Options
    This sounds like the fuel level sending unit module is bad. Believe it or not, this is accessed from the inside of the vehicle (under the carpet beneath second row seats). Because of the nature of gas (FLAMES BABY), perhaps this is a job for an experienced tech. If you want to give it a try (AGAIN - DANGER), inspection/removal/replacement is clearly described in chapter 4 of the Haynes manual for this vehicle.
  • Options
    if i'm not mistaken, that's underneath the 3'rd row seats.
  • Options
    dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    My 99 has just over 93k miles. It had its 90k service a few months ago and I guess it's at the age where things are starting to go bad or wear out. Right after the 90k service (at which time I was told the left motor mount was bad, so had to R&R that too), the starter died. That's another $500. Last week the CEL came on again. Took it in yesterday and the dealer told me it threw the code for the fuel tank purge solenoid. I just had that replaced last year. Dealer ran the test and could find nothing wrong, so they just reset the light. I'm going to get a new gas cap just to make sure that's not the culprit. But the dealer did find that the front motor mount is now going bad. So that's another $300 spent that I didn't plan on spending. I guess with the van's age, I should be expecting these occurrences on a regular basis. I'm sure the right motor mount will be going soon also. I'd hate to sell or trade it in now with all the money I've thrown into the van the last few months. I just cringe thinking of what else could go wrong. I'm crossing my fingers.
  • Options
    porchieporchie Member Posts: 50
    Ok, you guys sound like you really know Honda Odysseys. I am about to list my 04 EXL - RES for sale in Southern California. I want to get a good price for it, but I want it to be a fair price. I am having a hard time determining its value. Edmunds, KBB, and other sites vary..

It's got 72k miles
    Has leather, rear dvd, mats, all the typical stuff.
    Extended Hondacare warranty to cover 6 years / 100,000 miles.
    No mechanical problems at all
    Two small dings/scratches (one on left slider, one on back door)
    Dark Blue Paint that is still very shiny!
    Tires still have plenty of wear

I was thinking of asking $18,000. Does that sound ok?
  • Options
    how far off were the various values? you could always average them. :blush:

seems like you're asking a dealer retail type price to me. perhaps a tad high. i think the miles are on the very high side (maybe not for CA), although you got what, another year or so for warranty coverage? that probably adds something to the mix.

it's the kind of price that leaves room to take less. :shades:
  • Options
    porchieporchie Member Posts: 50
    I picked a number in the middle, towards the high end of the averages. Ranged from $15,800 to just under $19,000. The Edmunds True Market value was $17,800. I agree it seems like a lot of money, but the van is actually in perfect shape. Mileage is a little high, but with the extended warranty I think its offset a bit. It is so hard deciding how much to ask. I dont want to give it away, but I also want to be fair and get it sold relatively quick. Thank you for your input. ;)
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    High middle sounds right.

Let us know how you do. Could be of future interest for many of us...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    jen41766jen41766 Member Posts: 1
    I had two new front tires and an alignment this week on my 2003 Odyssey. It immediately started pulling to the left. I took it back and they switched the front tires. Then it pulled to the right. So they switched a front and back tire. It still pulls to the right. At that point, they told me it was normal. Cars come off the line pulling to the right, especially Honda, because if I fall asleep at the wheel, they want the car to go off the road, not into traffic. This sounded like total [non-permissible content removed] to me. Also, the tires needed time to wear in. I just want my van to go straight like it did last week. Is there something I can try? Should I call them on being full of crap? Any suggestions? THANKS!
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Should I call them on being full of crap?

Yes. It's most likely a faulty tire if everything was good before.
  • Options
    grandtotal is right. you have every indication of a bad tire. demand two new ones.
  • Options
    autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    What make, size, profile are these tires?

Should be 225R16 98T
  • Options
    People, two reports of lock cylinder problems in '03 ODYs here in the Odyssey Care and Maintenance Forum.
    sbpceap, "Honda Odyssey: Care & Maintenance" #429, 30 Jul 2007 8:41 pm

If any of you can share your experience with lock cylinder problems in your ODY, can you post please? I have an LX obviously.

thanks.
  • Options
    ovrthtop34ovrthtop34 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are in the market for another vehicle, and we have come across some very interesting choices, especially the Odyssey, a van we like quite a lot. Anyway we have our eyes on several 2003 and 2004 models, all of which have less than 50,000 miles on them. Most of them are decked out with Leather, DVD, wood grain, and all that stuff. The prices range from 18,000 all the way down to 14,000.

We are thinking of this because we don't want to spend $500 per month on payments.

WOuld any of these be good deals, or should we not worry and just suck it up and go brand new?
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    If you can afford it, go with the new one. It is drastically improved, especially the ride quality & finishes are more refined (road noise is still an issue).

Also, the transmissions in the '03 are suspect. The '04 may be slightly more reliable, however, the 2007+ has a rugged 4-shaft design borrowed from the Pilot & Ridgeline.

Here is a link regarding the class action lawsuit for Honda V6 transmission failures from '00-'03. link title

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    gunturguntur Member Posts: 19
    250 miles into my 1000 miles one way trip, check engine light and TCS light came on. Drove another 250 to a Honda dealer. Transmission needed replacement. Dealer found more issues with mounting brackets, leaking strutts and couple of other things amounting to $2350 in estimate. All this with < 58,000 miles on my 2000 Odyssey. Luckily the transmission is under warranty but had to pay $150 to replace sway bars. Within the first year I had CD player replaced, had to take back to dealer 2-3 times to have something cleaned (I think it was choke!)in order to repair the accelerator pedal that was getting stuck after overnight parking. Gas cap release never worked right and always needed adjustment. Once had an EGR valve replaced when the check engine light was on. This is not what I expected with a Honda after the good experience I had with my 1987 Honda Civic Real Time 4WD wagon. Come to think of it that too had some annoying problems within the first 3 years but never caused as many problems. I guess the difference in quality may be due to that Ody was made in NA (I think Canada) and the Civic was made in Japan. Then my friend tells me all about the problems he had with his Accord which required several expensive repairs over the years. Well that too was made in NA. No more Hondas for me. Having driven two Camrys back to back, I would go for a Toyota next.........though it is made in NA.
  • Options
    autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX that has given me 5-years 4-months and 174,000 kilometers (108,000 miles) of reliable service.
    Two weeks ago, on July 4th, 2007, my wife noticed the rust on the outside-channel where the weather-strip is in the rear view mirror area. I took it to my dealer&#146;s bodyshop area for them to look at and the bodyshop manager lifted the weather-strip showing most of this channel had rust area six inches long. He sprayed it with rustproofing and said that his brother&#146;s Odyssey has the same thing happening. When I bought the van the dealer suggested that I buy a rust protection plan that covers all the vehicle&#146;s panels. Unfortunately this plan does not cover this area. If it keeps rusting the weather strip will not fit into the channel designed to keep it into place. The driver&#146;s side door has a lot less rust in this area. I was told that it&#146;s unfortunate that I have over the &#145;5 year warranty&#146; as I could have gotten new doors replaced &#145;no charge&#146;.

This certainly looks like a &#145;design flaw&#146; and there should be a recall.

The body shop at the dealership worked up a price for Honda Canada and it came to about $4,800; with me to pay $2,800.

I send a letter of Honda Customer Relations in Toronto about their offer and my non-ability to pay more then $800 and this thing should not have happen. The early part of the week of August 6th Toronto Relations phoned to state what a great deal I had. I said I could not take it. Honda Relations left a message on Aug 14th for me to call. I spoke to Honda Relations on Aug 17th and they had lowered my price to $1,800. I showed a local Honda dealer and they suggest that CarStar look at it. CarStar said they could fix both doors for $534. My dealer says you cannot repair this properly without replacing the door(s) and Honda Relations says they have nothing to do with CarStar, although the local dealer uses CarStar for their body work.

If you own a 1998-2004 Odyssey, inspect this area... Take a close look because it is concealed and is not noticeable without lifting the weather-strip.

Also check http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27939&highlight=door+ru- st

I would like to hear from any 1998-2004 owners with the same problem and what solutions were taken and what they might recommend.

Thank you!
  • Options
    09norcim09norcim Member Posts: 8
    My 2000 Honda Odyssey has 107K miles. Honda dealer has suggested to change timing belt and water pump for approx. $1,150.00.

I recently found a local shop who is very competent (45-60 yr. old senior mechanics and certified).

The private shop had quoted me labor and material,
    A. $580 Timing belt/Water Pump NAPA. Water Pump life time warranty

B. $630 - Honda Parts, 12 month warranty on labor. Honda Warranty on Parts. Even I can buy the parts for them (I asked them).

I know that these guys know what they do and are honest mechanics. However, in the past I always took Odyssey to the dealer since I had extended coverage.

What is your opinion? Dealer or Private Shop.

Thanks!
  • Options
    bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Private shop. With that many miles why spend double to make repairs. If it were still under warrantee it's a different story, but it doesn't appear to be anymore.
  • Options
    cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    ...spring the extra $50.-- (<10%) of cost and go with the OEM components. I too have used after market stuff but with mixed results. I will only put Honda OEM stuff on my cars...
  • Options
    honda OEM parts.

another option... call another dealer. not all dealers will have the same pricing. may have web discounts as well. if no dealer is more competitive, the Private shop.

that price seems stratospheric.
  • Options
    esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I can speak for our 04 Odyssey EX:

We've had ours for the past 3 1/2 years, and it's been a great car. We haven't had any mechanical problems with it whatsoever (transmission included), and have only had to pay for maintenance items.

One thing I will say is that the brake pads did wear out faster than I thought they would (replaced them at 31K miles); however, we do live in a hilly area, and it is a rather heavy vehicle.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    They do seem to be a common thing on these vans. Add that they use essentially disposable rotors and it is a touch of an annoyance but we're on our second Ody and quite pleased.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    dwoozydwoozy Member Posts: 1
    We're looking to buy a used Odyssey, and have narrowed down ours search to two cars:

A 2000 Odyssey with 67000 miles. The timing belt was replaced during the 65k maintainance (all done at Honda dealers). The transmission is original.
    Price is ~ $10,500

A 2003 Odyssey with 103000 miles. Don't know about transmission or timing belt.
    Price is ~ $9,000

Both seem to drive fine, and are in comparable condition. Autocheck gives both clean reports.

Does lower mileage or fewer years matter more? Also, do these prices seem reasonable overall?

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • Options
    The next question would be, "How many miles are YOU driving each year?" If you drive around 10K miles / year you would be better off with the more recent model, since you accumulate mileage slowly. If you spin off many miles a year, you have more 'reserve' in the older model...
  • Options
    auburnstheoneauburnstheone Member Posts: 2
    I am having trouble getting my front wiper fluid to squirt more than 6 inches - not enough for the whole wiper. Both ports seem to produce the same small amount. Fluid level is OK. Any ideas?, This is a 2002 Odyssey.
  • Options
    i'd open the hood and trace as much of the tubing as you can backward from the nozzles. i trust you'll find a kink somewhere.
  • Options
    transplantdoctransplantdoc Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,
    I just had a similar experience. My rear sliding door to the Honda Ody spontaneously exploded. Fortunately, none of my kids were in. I wasnt sure what happened and would not even have bothered to look this online since I had already called GEICO and they sent their guy to change the window for a $50 co pay. But when he opened it up, he said that the regulator had broken and that I would need to have it replaced by the dealer. I guess people may not be reporting it because the burden of proof is sort of on you that you didnt have something break it besides it being easily replaced by theinsurance companies. Fortunately no one has been hurt but I cant fathom the implications if a little kid is sitting in the back when this happens.
    Thought of adding the list for others to find something should anyone else report this.
  • Options
    i'm confused. rear sliding door? in a 2003?

you mean the rear vent windows aft of the sliding doors?
  • Options
    ohondaohonda Member Posts: 3
    Interesting. My blow out was the back window (the trunk door?). No one was hurt, just messy! One other thing that has happened, however, is that a bird dumped on one of my side tinted windows and acutally etched out some of the tint. I thought that the tint on most windows was on the inside, not the outside. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • Options
    transplantdoctransplantdoc Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry. Maybe I didnt say it right. The window to the sliding door right behind the driver seat. Its actually a 2006 model and not a 2003. I noticed GM had a recall on 20,000 cars for " Corsa" windown on some car.
  • Options
    noeletynoelety Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. Were you ever able to solve the brake shudder problem?
  • Options
    Machine the rotors or replace them. always do both!!! Replace brake pads with Honda OEM only! Works for me. You can use generic rotors...
  • Options
    mpnpspmpnpsp Member Posts: 10
    Hi

I have a 2004 odyssey and have a strange problem which I have been unable to duplicate when I take the car in to the dealership. If I slowly accelerate upto either 30 or 40 mph and try to maintain it at that speed, the car shudders for a couple of seconds and then smoothens out. It happens more frequently at 40 but is intermittent. If I speed thru these speeds (say speeding from 0 to 60), the upshifting works fine with no such problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    MP
  • Options
    ...get a full wheel alignment!!!
  • Options
    mpnpspmpnpsp Member Posts: 10
    Not sure how alignment would cause that problem - I would think that this would just cause the car to drift. I did get rotation and balancing but that didn't fix it.
  • Options
    possibly a clogged EGR port issue. google it.
  • Options
    noeletynoelety Member Posts: 2
    I've read the same thing in an EGR service bulletin for Honda Dealers about clogged EGR ports. However, I don't know what years it covered. My Honda is a 2000 and that EGR port was completely clogged. Good Luck!
  • Options
    dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Has anyone had anyone problems with the radio and accessory plug fuse blowing on a repeated basis? For the past month, my wife's 99 Ody has had this problem and I've replaced 3 fuses so far. I suspect it's a short in the plug wiring but I may not rule out the radio either. Does anyone know how much it would cost to diagnose this problem and make the repairs? What does the dealership normally charge for a job like this?
  • Options
    sams2sams2 Member Posts: 3
    When I purchased my used 2003 Ody I had the shudder experience. Dealer frist thought it was a transmission problem but then found it had something to do wqth the egr valve. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    vkhperavkhpera Member Posts: 1
    Anybody who owns a 2003 honda ody - please run a test. Put the car in park. make sure the engine is on and without depressing the brake, try to put the car in drive or neutral or even reverse. Please let me know if the car shifted into gear (again without the brake been depressed). I know if you are in drive already, you can shift up or not without depressing the brake pedal. Please make certain you do not use excessive force. - PLEASE TRY THIS TEST.
  • Options
    honda_oh_nohonda_oh_no Member Posts: 49
    To anyone thinking of buying Odyssey! Check out the Odyssey Transmission Issue Forum first.

All Odyssey models from 99, 2000,2001,2003,2004,2005,2006, 20007 have faulty transmissions.

Dont make the same mistake....
  • Options
    rupertlerupertle Member Posts: 1
    CEL indicates a knock sensor problem. Since it takes a lot of work to replace the sensor I was wondering I if some diagnostics can be run first to make sure the sensor is bad. There is no pinging or preignition going on so the sensor seems to be doing its job. There is a hesitation on acceleration which may or may not be related.
  • Options
    newtohondanewtohonda Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2004 Holday Odyssey that always had a problem where the steering wheel jumps at very low speeds (as I brake) or at high speeds (beyond 60 mph). The behavior is similar to how a car would behave if wheels need balancing or tires need to be rotated.

We have tried the wheel balancing and tire rotation thing several times over the past 4 years to no avail. My wife drives the van and for the most part in the suburbs so she does not notice this problem. It's only when we drive on highways that I notice this and it is VERY annoying. The problem actually gets worse everytime we take it to the dealer for a service that includes tire rotation!!

My questions:
    - Is this something that others are seeing?
    - Any thoughts on a solution?
    - If this is unique to my van is it even fixable?
    - Should I buy extended warranty given that we are out of the 3 year warranty period (We get calls and e-mails from companies offering warranties)?

The van probably has less than 30,000 miles on it.

Thanks for your responses!
  • Options
    vgervger Member Posts: 30
    Wow... 2004 and you have less than 30,000??? You must not drive much. Anyway I would also check wheel bearings and the CVJ (constant velocity joint). I know this is a no-brainer, but are there any missing lug nuts, are they all tightened? What you are describing does happen when tires are out of round or out of balance. At 30,000 is not much, but do you have much tread left on your tires? Is it wearing uniformally? Any unusual wear will say a lot. Did anyone run over or up on a curb where suspension may be slightly out of whack (mind you, it takes a lot of force to bend a wheel hub, so this is highly unlikely, but possible)?

Vger