Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Ehh I don't know yet. I don't expect a power close feature as Land Rover is worried about motors being shorted out when fording water.

No TDV8 anytime soon. Probably not till the end of the decade. The next Gen F150 is supposed to have a 6 cylinder version of the TDV8 going in the european Range Rovers if that is the case the Range Rover might get the engine sooner.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    The RR ICE system is made by Alpine, but has been modified (of course). I remember reading about it on the LR3 forum about Alpine announcing at the last CeBit that they were releasing a native iPod connector the current generation Land Rovers...

DVD Nav is by Denso, sound system by Alpine using their MOST entertainment network technology (sometimes referred to as M-Bus). It's a pretty good system, but right now details on adding aftermarket stuff to it is sparse... if you have a good installer locally that does a lot of Alpine business, ask them to have their sales Rep make some inquiries for you...

Try these two links:

Link #1

Link #2

That may help point you in the right direction... I also did a google search for "Land Rover Alpine iPod MOST" and came up with some after market stuff - give that a try...

The first link above has a link in it pointing to a CNET article that shows an iPod hookup for Land Rovers...

Cheers!

/DA
  • jbratxjbratx Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know when the 07's will be available in North America?
    It will vary by dealer when they can get them - I was told if I wanted one, and ordered it this week, I would have it by December... but that was custom order for some exotic stuff I wanted in mine... try asking your dealer...

/DA
  • 06rover06rover Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas on my 2006 RR HSE... Seats way too firm... Almost rock hard on longer drives...

Memory foam??? seat covers?????
    Do you have standard seats or LUX seats???

LUX seats should be slightly softer and offer more adjustments to get the seat just right for your back.

Even without the LUX seats you have tons of lumbar adjustment. I would try playing around with that some and seeing if you can get things right.

If that doesn't work then probably some kind of memory foam.
  • yrbenderyrbender Member Posts: 25
    Thanks. Cant wait to try it!
  • lzmlzlzmlz Member Posts: 7
    I have 05 RR with only 28k miles on it and the BRAKE light lit up on the dash. Dealer told me that I need to replace the brake pads, about $650. Is this normal for RR? I had BMWs before include X5 and brake pads were good for 40K and beyond. I do realize that RR is much heavier. How about the price? Can I have my mechanic in a local shop to do it for half of the price, even though IT IS a leased car? Thanks for any input.
  • rush2rush2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes unfortunately it is normal. I replaced the brakes on my '05 with 17k miles. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic in the Atlanta area. $650 is about how much I paid for my brakes. With all due respect, for the life of me I can not understand why you would pay $80k for a Range and then take it to a local shop to save ~$300. Spend the $650 and move on.
    A version of the Range Rover diesel V8 avaliable in Europe will go in the F-150 in 2009. I am pretty sure that means Land Rovers will get that diesel engine as well.

Diesel in F-150
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    And the reason it should take so @#@#@ long to get here is?????

Low sulfur diesel is available now and Land Rover already has the transmission and drive train figured out. Another lost opportunity to capitalize on changing consumer wants and needs!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    I am considering buying a Range Rover S/C and will want to put some proper tires on it. I have had very good luck with the BFG AT/KO in the past. If my info is correct the S/C comes with 255/55 20's. The closest BFG tire is a 285/55/20. Is that size going to work, or is it too big? Does anyone know of any other "real" all terrain tires that will fit on a '06 or '07 RR S/C. If worse come to worse I guess I could switch to the regular RR's 19" wheel, or will that interfere with the larger brakes on the S/C ???
    the 19 inch wheels from the Range Rover HSE will fit fine around the brembos. I know several people who have done this. You just need to buy the 19 inch wheel lug nut as they are different then the 20 inch wheel lug nuts.
    Not sure why you would want 20" offroad tyres?

I have the 19" tires, and am thinking of going to a 16" steel rim with a high profile tyre for offroad use.

I was under the impression that when you have tyres that large, you limit your ability to deflate the tyre, and the mag rim is seriously exposed to rock damage.

I never really thought about it but would there be issues putting a smaller rim on with the discs?

/DA
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    omg, those are some amazing videos!!!

just another reason....british rover, you're in sales for Land Rover aren't you? Do you guys ever promote the tax break for small business owners? I just found out about that through the landrover.com site and was blown away

Big tax break and a cool yet capable SUV is an unbeatable combo, I sent those youtube links to tons of people
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Land Rover
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • wolstenholmewolstenholme Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 Range Rover, and a Blackberry Pearl. I am not able to connect via bluetooth to my RR.
    Recently I loaned a 07 LR3 and I could connect. I then tried other cell phones and not one came up with "LAND ROVER" while seaching in my car.
    Is there a problem, is it possible that I have no bluetooth signal in my RR? Any thoughts on how to activate it in the RR?
    Thanks
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Can anyone direct me to the manufacturer that can supply winter (snow) tires for my '05 RR with 255/55/19's? I don't want to go as far as Goodyear MT/R's but the other options I found are not going to cut it in deep snow.
    Any suggestions? Help.

Thanks.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Love the Range Rover. It's beautiful, it's ultra-luxurious, it's fast (I think).

My wife was "supposed" to get a new car this month. We were going to special-order an Audi A8. My son, who is also a gearhead, turned her onto the Range Rover Sport. When I drove it, I wasn't expecting much- I thought it would be heavy, ungainly, uncomposed. I never thought much of Range Rovers. When I drove it, I thought it drove better than the Cayenne S we had driven earlier in the day. Maybe that has something to do with preconceptions and expectations, but I'll leave it alone.

Of course, she's not getting a new car any more. No, it's not because my worth fell through; it's because she wants a new house this year instead. Whoopee (in all honesty, I can't wait to move into the home we're looking at). But, I have decided that she really will get a new car next year. But after reading all the horrible reliability ratings for the Range Rover Sport, I'd rather give a used (think one or two years old) Range Rover HSE a try. Reliability is key here, because she has a Lexus now, and refuses to buy another, for reasons unknown.

How is the reliability for the big ol' RR? It would be grand if we ended up with it; we're also considering an '07 S550 4Matic (also used) if she wants a sedan. I'd love personal experiences with the machine.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    This is confusing. I should've proof-read it.

We had driven the Range Rover Sport and Cayenne S last year; the settle on the A8 was eventual. We've been done with the RR-S for awhile.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • bmandepbmandep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Classic Range Rover and looking to purchase mud tires...will the 30x9.5x15 tires work? I do not have a lift.
    Err that is an interesting question and would probably be better answered on a Classics specific board.

Try Range Rovers . net (Without the spaces) and then check out the classis 1970-1995 Range Rover forum.
  • gravity404gravity404 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon:
    Don't let anyone you know buy one. Take it from someone paying the price.
  • kmm04kmm04 Member Posts: 3
    What kind of problems are you having gravity404? We brought an '06 RR HSE with 6k miles on it in July. We have had it in the shop 4 TIMES! The suspension light comes on and the gets stuck in the up or down position. The next error message states not to drive over 30 miles and hour. A terrible experience and the dealer is not trying to take the car back. Anyone else with this problem??? Any suggestions?
  • b5309b5309 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard from several places and people that the maintenance for the Range Rover is a real pain, and I was wondering if anyone with a Range Rover could attest to that. If they could explain what kind of problems they have had with the vehicle, how serious they were, and how bad their dealer stuck it to them, it would be greatly appreciated. Preferably more modern models of the car.
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    I've been a LR (Disco and now RR) guy for 13 years. The single common thread amongst all maintenance related issues seems to be (based on the forums I visit) the quality of one's dealer. People who drop big bucks on a Rangie expect the white glove treatment, and it just always isn't the case. I'm in the Seattle area and use Bellevue Land Rover, and they are SUPERIOR to the BMW and Porsche maintenance departments located within walking distance. With high end cars, choose the dealer wisely so your expectaions will be met. In terms of a dollar comparison, call around and ask for a price on a complete brake job (pads, wear sensors, rotors). It'll give you an indication of relative costs between brands.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • lauren33lauren33 Member Posts: 2
    :mad:
    We have a 2006 Range Rover...We had one that we turned in within 2 months due to noises and they gave us another and we have had in the shop over 6 times in 1 year.
    1. Noise coming from the A/C/Heat...It is like a soft siren that is associated with turning the heat/air on. It comes and goes.
    2. The radio sticks and sometimes doesn't work.
    3. The car comes to a jerking stop sometimes while slowing down to a stop.
    4. The engine fan broke (currently being replaced).
    We own the vehicle and are thinking about just selling it and buying another type of vehicle. Does anyone have these types of problems? The dealership acts like they have never seen any issues with any Range Rover, but everytime I am in there, I meet someone who is as angry or more than I am.
    Thanks!!!
  • lauren33lauren33 Member Posts: 2
    absolute disaster of a car. 93k piece of junk. been in the shop 6 times and terrible customer service. bought an upgrade card in order to get loaners and was told they don't do the program on saturdays and couldnt pick up my car for almost 2 months.
    noises are terrible (not normal truck noises) but A/C, steering wheel, fan etc.
  • rover_usarover_usa Member Posts: 24
    Well, knock-on-wood, but I have owned my '06 RR HSE for one year now: bought it new and I make sure all scheduled maintenance is preformed according to plan.

I have had no real problems. The engine management software needed to be upgraded within a month of purchase; but, other than that it runs and drives quite nicely.

I do not know what state you guys are in but if the LR is not performing as expected and it is in the shop a lot, I would check the lemon laws and contact LRNorthAmerica to find out what they can do.

Good Luck...Richard
  • jdowdsjdowds Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 RR HSE and had the same high pitched noise last year. After one year and 5-6 stays at the dealer, it was finally fixed. They first replaced a small fan in the front console near the ac/heat/radio. This may be your problem but was not mine. They finally had someone from LRNorth America to visit who found the second fan behind/below the glove box which was the source of the siren type noise. It cools the electrical system when the car is awakened by opening the door or unlocking it. My guess is one of these 2 doughnut sized fans needs to be replaced. A simple fix when they knew what to do. Good luck!
  • gigi1219gigi1219 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to purchase a cargo cover, black for my 2002 RR HSE. I'd rather not spend a fortune at the dealer, any suggestions?
  • thebigbazookathebigbazooka Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used RR. I am debating between the 2004 vs 2005. What features and upgrades will I get with the 2005 model and what should I look for in these cars that seperate themselves from one another? Obviously I can tell from reading some of your posts that the Navi is better on the '05, but how about other options and features (e.g. engine, tranny, electronics, ergonomics etc.) Thank you.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    I have a certificate that will save you $2000 or $1500 I will sell. Make your email address public and reply and I will email to you. I can send you a scan of the certificate and the cover letter if you would like to see it.

There is a place on the certificate where I can sign and transfer it to a friend.

Exact wording on the certificate is as follows:

Save $2000 on a new 2007 Range Rover HSE*
    Save $1500 on a new 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE**
    Save $1500 on a new 2007 LR3 V8 HSE, SE, or V6 SE

*Offer valid on purchase or lease of a new, previously untitled 2007 Range Rover HSE (excludes Supercharged model) from 4/16/07 to 6/30/07. **Offer valid on purchase or lease of a new, previously untitled 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE (excludes Supercharged model) from 4/16/07 to 6/30/07. Offer valid on purchase or lease of a new, previously untitled 2007 LR3 V8 HSE, SE or V6 SE from 4/16/07 to 6/30/07. Present this certificate to Retailer and take delivery from Retailer stock by 6/30/07. These offers may not be combined with any other private purchase offer. Limit one redemption per household. These offers exclude demonstration vehicles and service loaners. For current lease customers, these offers may not be combined with the Early Lease Termination offer. See Retailer for complete details.
    Two unrelated questions today:

1. For those who have switched to Michelin Synchrones, do you find that they improve on-road handling? I'm feeling a little uncomfortable at freeway speeds of 70 mph+ on dry pavement on the factory tires.

2. What would you expect to pay for a windshield (windscreen) replacement for a 2007 LR3? I have been quoted $1,000 and I'm a little skeptical.
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    Pfolk

On my recent family trip to Myrtle Beach from Ottawa, Canada I got a chip on my windshield that rapidly degenerated into a cracked windshield. The heated windshield is standard equipment in Canada and the cost for parts and labour to get it replaced was $1078.00 Cdn :P
    That would be about US$990, so it sounds like I'm getting the "going rate". While it's aggravating that this repair is so expensive, I want to say thank you to LR for making the windscreen so sturdy. I got hit by a bolt that fell off a flat bed trailer I was following at about 65 mph. I saw the little bugger just as it spiralled into the glass and it hit with a sound like a rifle-shot. It left a crater the size of a silver dollar but no other damage and the windscreen remained intact. Lest readers think I tailgate, I was at least 4 car lengths behind the trailer.
  • drcoop1drcoop1 Member Posts: 2
    Here Here, I am looking at 2004, 2005 or 2006 models. Help please. Can someone with knowledge compare/contrast the difference and if on year model repair wise is better/worse than another???
  • abennett3abennett3 Member Posts: 6
    My apologies if this is discussed elsewhere, but I can't find mention of it...

my friend who has an 2005 LR3 and my new RRS 2007 have problems understanding us! We're both English, but live in the US. Is there some secret to speaking, or adjustment of settings or teaching the system our voices, so that we don't constantly get "displaying Italian Restaurants" or some other nonsense?

(otherwise my RRS is by far the best car I've ever owned - and that's after only 3 days!)

Many Thanks,
    -Andrew
    Have you tried the British language settings for the nav? That seems to help with people who have accents.
    Oh! How do you do that?
    Hit the "hard" right button that brings up the main menu...

Go hit the settings menu on the main screen.

Now you will see several buttons on the screen. One will say voice language and another will say systems language. Click one of them and select british. Go back to the previous screen and click the other. Now also select the british language option.
    That definitely helped - many thanks.

It's still not perfect though - does everyone have these problems?

-Andrew
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    Yes I did have some frustrations :mad: with the voice recognition feature on my 2007 LR3 HSE at the beginning. My problem was different because I am French Canadian and therefore have a little accent when speaking english. After having tried the US English, Parisien French I went back to UK English. From time to time the voice recognition will experience difficulty with the way I pronounce certain sounds. But overall it is rare and only occurs when trying to record phone numbers with lots of "fours" in it :cry: I had to fake a British accent to get it to accept the way I was pronouncing "four" ;)
    Very funny - so far I'm more amused than annoyed by the system.

-Andrew
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    This will sound weird, but try talking more toward the driver's side window... it was surely a fix for me in my '05 RR, and others report improved results as well (check out rangerovers.net sometime).
    The system is quite accurate in voice recognition--or at least I'm that trainable!--but I think the errors are often tied to small "distractions" that can occur. For example, if a window or the sunroof is open, the wind noise will cause an error every time. Likewise, I have found that speaking while turning my head--as in looking around a corner as I'm turning the vehicle--will cause an error. Of, if I've had a really bad day or I'm tense and speaking in a quick cadence, I'm more likely to get an error. I know I'm throwing the system off when it interprets "yes" as "no" just because I said the word too quickly!

A relaxed, conversational tone works best. And I'm not privileged to have a more "refined" accent as you do. Make that Pennsylvania Dutch, flattened by a couple of years in the Iowa, and spiced with quite a bit of the Southwest. If LR can handle that, your RP should be no problem.
    It almost seems like the voice recognition system likes an iambic pentameter cadence.