Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Oh come on is Karl just lazy or is he really that biased against Land Rovers?

I remember the last Range Rover he reviewed and how he complained that the buttons were all pictographs with little English characters on them. Well guess what the Range Rover is sold in close to 190 countries many of which don't even use western style characters. What should Land Rover do make 150 different labeled buttons for a low production, somewhere around 50,000 units worldwide a year, vehicle?

How could he have trouble releasing the parking brake? The message center in the instrument cluster tells you how to release the brake. It comes up with a message that says, "Push down paddle and hold foot brake to release parking brake." If you put the car in drive or reverse and touch the gas then the park brake releases automatically.

Then the DVD player I mean come on how could you not figure that out. With the entertainment screen up, you get it up by pressing the music note button pretty intuitive really, you hit the button marked DVD to play the movie on the front screen while in park only. You have the screen up in the second picture of the blog.

To turn on the rear screens you hit the button to the right of the DVD button the one that looks like a seat with someone sitting behind it and a music note again. At that point you can select what audio and video sources go to the rear screens. You can plug in a gaming system to RCA ports located in the center console. Someone can watch a movie on one screen while another person plays a video game and listens to the satellite radio.

Finally you have the price and yes 95,000 dollars is a lot of money but it is the price of exclusivity. Approximately 12,500 Range Rovers are imported each year to the US. Less then 2,000 of those will be supercharged Range Rovers. You could probably get a Cayenne Turbo for about the same price as a supercharged Range Rover but it wouldn't have any options. Porsche makes EVERYTHING optional so in order to get similar equipment to the Range Rover the MSRP on the Cayenne would be about 116,000 dollars. There are a lot more cayennes on the road then Range Rovers as well.
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Auto reviews where the reviewer expects to hop in and intuitively figure everything out are pointless. Read the manual, drive it for a couple weeks, then report back.
  • jadevettijadevetti Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Range Rover is getting a makeover that will change the exterior significantly next year or the year after? I don't want to buy one if they are changing its look, and it will be much more different than what it is now . Thanks!
    Next redesign is either going to be 2010 or 2012. The 2008 Range rovers will be here next month and they are essentially the same as the 2007s.
  • roverlover3roverlover3 Member Posts: 12
    anyone receive any tranferable coupon re: lr3's or range rovers? i will pay $$$ for them
  • yrbenderyrbender Member Posts: 25
    Looking to buy a valentine 1 radar detector. Does anyone know of any issue with the heated windshield and detection problems?
  • abennett3abennett3 Member Posts: 6
    Well - I'm now the owner of a brand new RRS - already done 3,000 miles and love every minute.

I got the luxury package seats. Anyone got any good tips on caring for the leather please?

Many Thanks,
    -Andrew
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Does anyone know of any issue with the heated windshield and detection problems?

I don't think there would be any issues. The heating elements are narrow and widely spaced compared with the detector's wavelength. Someone with hands on experience may know for sure.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rrsnewbyrrsnewby Member Posts: 1
    My RRS exhaust pings excessively when when it's cooling down. I've been told it's normal, but I've never had a car this noisy! Does anyone else have this poroblem? It actual also "Pings" slightly when it's still running also.
    Yes its normal. Most cars do this to some extent. It will lessen as the car ages and the exhaust doesn't expand/contract as much.
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Enjoy the view and don't worry about the pings. The exhaust system and catalytic converter endure some pretty high temps so that they work properly. The metal expands and contracts as it's heated and cooled--which is exactly what it is designed to do.
  • rroverrrover Member Posts: 8
    Updated to new navteq map does anyone have the new override code to enter desinations while driving. Have been looking all over the internet and cant find. Please help.
    any update on the new code for the udated nav? My old code wont work with new dvd.
  • ajwaldorfajwaldorf Member Posts: 3
    I am also looking. I will let you know as soon as I find something.

[email protected]
    07 RRS
    Here's that code you were looking for:

1. Pull over to the side of the road.
    2. Engage Park with gear selector.
    3. Enter destination in NAV system.

Works like a charm every time!
    You don't even need to engage park just pull over and stop. As soon as the Speedo reads less then 5 mph the navigation is enabled.
    Sorry, chaps. Forgot to attach the sarcasm tag to my last post for those who wouldn't get it.

My point is that it is extremely foolish even to think of diverting one's attention from the serious business of driving while a 6,000+ pound vehicle is in motion.

Why do we need a hack to disable a key safety feature in the NAV? That's why it won't work while the vehicle is rolling. If there is such a code floating around the Internet, it doesn't need to show up on Edmunds as it would be promoting illegal modification of the software.

The gents who were asking for this need to take a deep breath and find something else to do. Read the owner's manual--detail the vehicle yourself--go for a long drive offroad, etc., etc.
    Oh I know you were being sarcastic and I kind of was too. Just showing that it was simpler then you thought it was to activate the nav.

The code everyone is talking about is disabled on all 2007 and up Land Rovers along with any 2005-2006 Land Rover that gets the nav update from navteq.
    That's a relief, since you are our generous resident expert on all things Land Roverish.

These guys who can't be satisfied with a perfectly adequate ride just get me going... Reminds me of the yahoo who dominated a group trail ride a few years back. You know the type--big Hella lights and bull bar on the front of his RR. He wanted to impress everyone by charging the next hill. He went airborne at the top and broke something essential when he landed. Had to limp about 10 miles back to pavement in 2WD. Lucky for him he was in a Range Rover, or he never would have made it out!
    All nav sarcasm aside. I purchase my 06 RR for off-road use. I find it odd to have to frequently field questions on why I would take it off-road. I have taken it off road durning lunch and return with it quite muddy (if I dont have time to spray it off). That is whend the Q&A sessions start. Just an observation.

I had my truck up in the mountains this weekend and the temperature dropped to about 26. When started it sounded like a belt was loose or something a loud squeal. It continued for about an hour driving no stop through the mountains at average speed of about 55. Any one have any ideas on this or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Thanks
    Good for you! You're getting your money's worth by going off-road.

It's hard to say from your short description why you would get a noise like that, although I sometimes had that happen with my former Jeep when the AC drive belt got a little older and the weather was cold and dry.

If you were wading in the vehicle, and splashed sand, mud or grit into the under-carriage, it's always a good idea to give it a thorough cleaning afterwards. Otherwise, it could contribute to wear and tear. I would defer to the dealer's service staff before applying any "belt dressing" or other spray-on stuff to quiet a noisy belt.

Enjoy your travels and let your friends know how much fun you're having in the boonies. That will usually stop any questions about why you're taking your RR off road.
    Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it I did wash off the car the night before. The doors were even slightly frozen in the morning. Perhaps this contributed to the problem. All seems well today.

Any suggestion on how to protect the car off-road? Does the A-frame protection bar help? So far the paint is holding up really well.
    I should clarify "off-road" to mean while driving on unpaved roads such as primitive roads through National Forests or fire roads. Cutting a new trail in most parts of the country is not considered good stewardship of the environment, which is why LR and most other automakers subscribe to "Tread Lightly". I wouldn't spend the money on the A-bar if I were you. It's not needed unless you're planning to push down brush as you drive, which is not advisable.

As for the paint, keeping the vehicle clean, covered parking (when you're not exploring!) and a good coat of wax is your best protection. Zymol--www.zymol.com--sells a great liquid wax for SUV's. I have used it on mine and it stands up to the Arizona sun, dust, mud and the occasional swipe from overhanging brush.
  • wolstenholmewolstenholme Member Posts: 3
    Occasionally when I start my 06 RR the suspension height indicator light does not activate, this in turn causes the message center to display the there is a suspension problem.
    If I then turn the ignition off then restart the car all is fine.
    I have taken it to the dealership twice and they have upgraded some software, but the problem keeps reoccurring. Any thought?
    :cry:
    As long as it shuts it shuts off again when you restart the truck don't worry about it.

Many people have suggested that letting the vehicle run through its self check procedure before you start the car cuts down on extraneous check engine/suspension lights. Turn the key to the on position and wait till the steering wheel comes to a rest in your lap before you start the car. You end up waiting between five and seven seconds to start the vehicle but it does seem to work.
  • jatbenijatbeni Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2005 Range Rover with about 28K miles.

It is missing the CD magazine for the changer. I called Land Rover up for getting a replacement and they quoted almost $80 for it. I know that it is a Clarion unit and I can find CD magazines for this for around $40 online.

Any information on the exact model that is installed.
    Any one concerned about ford selling land rover?
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hi I am looking at one of the older style classic range rovers, the 2001-2002 model year. I know that while they are awesome cars, the current range rovers arent known for their reliability. Is this also the case for the older model years, or did these models hold up better? If anyone has any information on this or owns a rover from these years and would like to report on its reliability it would be a huge help to me. Thanks so much
    You got it the other way around.

The P38 body style Rovers from 1995-2002 are much, much less reliable then the Mark III Range Rovers from 2003-current.

The only P38 I would buy is a 2000-2002 that has extensive service records.
  • eyeopenereyeopener Member Posts: 3
    I hope you had some luck finding the cd magazine changer. I wanted to see if you would be willing to share some info on the purchase price of your 2005 RR. I am looking for the same model year and similar mileage.

Thanks for your help.
  • jbratxjbratx Member Posts: 40
    To all who have experience with both models, which is better HSE or the Supercharged. Is the Supercharged worth the extra money?
  • yvlyvl Member Posts: 1
    It seems to take forever to reach normal operating temperature -- at least 15 minutes driving or 20 minutes idling. For cold starts at some 35 F, this is much longer compared to other 8 and 6 cylinder engines on the vehicles I've owned. Also, upper radiator hose feels warm a minute after starting the engine. In short, classic "always open" broken thermostat symptoms.

However, my mechanic swears RR are all like that, and indeed we've tried another '06 RR, same slow warm up cycle. Has anybody had a different experience?

Thanks!
  • khlkhl Member Posts: 9
    This was the case for me too (06 RR HSE)...I was able to drive a few miles after re-starting the car, before the suspension light went off again and the suspension fault error message appeared (with warning to not exceed 30mph). I immediately brought it into LR the next morning. It's been in the shop for 4 days now, and they have yet to figure out how to fix. They told me a part had to be replaced, but once they replaced it, the system wouldn't re-calibrate and they've been on the line with LR Tech for days now. Prior to this, I've had problems with the passenger side being lower than driver side and they've re-calibrated several times, but it doesn't seem to hold.
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Member Posts: 6
    I realize this is a long shot but with all the folks upgrading to monitors-in-the-headrests it's possible......does anyone have a set of two headrests for a 2005 RR in sand with jet piping they'd like to sell?
  • moabxjmoabxj Member Posts: 6
    I have posted in the other threads as long as 3 weeks ago and still haven't seen a reply. I am trying to find out what a fair lease rate should be on a full size 2008 Range Rover Supercharged. MSRP = 93,600 Cap Cost = 89,969 w/ the acquisition fee. Tier 1 credit. 36 month 15k miles per year. 0 down. I was quoted 1599+ sales tax which seems a bit high to me. Anyone have an idea? We are buying in the next day or two so I'd really like to find out some info asap.

Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi moabxj. Land Rover's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged with 15,000 miles per year are .00228 and 51%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $93,600, and a selling price of $89,969, I estimate that your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,488.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    if any1 has TRANSFERABLE coupons good thru feb28th I am interested in making a deal. The ones Ive seen are brown and have place to put the name and address of the person you are transferring coupon to. Please email me if any1 has one. roverlover3carspace.com
    p.s 30 months seems to be the better deal. lower factor and aggressive residual
  • bigbearrrsbigbearrrs Member Posts: 6
    Just wanted to share about my experience with my 2008 Range Rover Sport HSE.

I have owned it for a little bit over 1 month and have over 5,000 miles on it (Yikes :surprise: ).

The Vehicle has been running flawlessly. All I want to do is drive and drive and drive. I discover new pleasure in it everyday. :shades:

I bought the HSE model. And after about 2 weeks I was wishing that I had bought the Supercharger. Then I discovered that if I move the gear stick to the left, that the transmission shift point changes and it then moves like a raped ape on fire. :D

Anyway that's all. Happy New Year to my Asian mates.
  • bradykbradyk Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone aware of the shifting diagram on the underneath portion of the lid for the center armrest? Does the Range Rover Classic have two shifting modes?

Thanks,
    Brady
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Does new new range rover owners know that its possible that the new RR will could be coming something in the end of 2009 .
    Very possible it will have the LRX styling
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter would like to talk to mothers who use a large SUV to transport children but are now considering a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle as a result of high gas prices. Please respond to [email protected] with your daytime contact information along with your current vehicle and the vehicle/s you are considering no later than Wednesday, June 11th.

Thanks,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    A very good deal came my way today, at least I hope.

1990 Range Rover Classic, County Edition. It has 102,000 miles on it. A mechanic is selling it because I believe his customer could not pay him for the brake system that was redone.
    He has been the mechanic on this vehicle for 4 years. Recent water pump, oil pump, all new brakes, and the head gaskets were replaced a few years ago.
    It runs and drives perfectly, and is mostly Land Rover stock

It is in very good condition, and he is asking $1200 for it.
    Is this a good deal?
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I think you should buy it for that price. The repairs and upgrades are worth way more than that. 102K is not bad either for a 1990. You can't find a used car like that for the price. It is a classic and will give many more miles but be ready for servicing regularly due to age. Go for it!
  • lch123lch123 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to purchase a 07 RR Sport HSE. Only one concern... the car in question has a roof mounted Alpine DVD system. Sales person says it was factory installed. From all my research I have not found a roof mounted system. Am I wrong? Or am I not looking in the right place. Also, someone mentioned that if DVD system is after market it will short out the Navigation/electronics. Can anyone shed some light please?

One more observation, from our initial test drive, it seems like the DVD system can only be used with headsets not through speaker system.

Can anyone shed some light please?

Thanks
  • djt21djt21 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have an absolute answer as to the exact airbag configuration of a 2007 or newer RR HSE? The main reason for my purchasing a 2007 was from all the press releases from Land Rover stating that the interior of the vehicle and the airbag system was redesigned and reconfigured. The vehicle supposedly now has new torso (seat deployed) side airbags, a knee airbag for the driver, and "SIDE - CURTAIN AIRBAGS FOR ALL OUTBOARD OCCUPANTS" (1st and 2nd rows).

I have 2 small children and my primary goal in purchasing a new vehicle is to provide them a safe enviornment - especially regarding a side curtain airbag system. I bought this vehicle because I was led to believe by numerous Land Rover press releases and told by my salesman that curtain style airbags replaced the prior tubular design for 1st row and small pillow design for 2nd row passengers.

While looking through a 2008 RR HSE brouchure a year later I noticed a diagram of all the airbags fully deployed in the vehicle. You can clearly see the new torso and drivers knee airbags. Unfortunatly they also show the old tubular style (1st row) and small pillow head airbag for 2nd row. The 2007 brouchure I viewed when buying my vehicle had no such pictures to support the claims of the new system. The tiny pillow style 2nd row airbag is mounted very high and doesn't deploy low enough to offer children the same protection that a curtain style would. WHERE ARE THE CURTAIN STYLE 1st & 2nd row AIRBAGS I WAS PROMISED BY NUMEROUS LAND ROVER PRESS RELEASES AND MY SALESPERSON.

When contacting my dealer I was told that the picture used in the 2008 brouchure was of the old airbag configuration and not accurate. If this is true why does the picture illustrate the NEW torso and drivers kneee airbags?

It's really too bad because the vehicle itself is very nice, but my childrens safety will always come first. I feel the public is definetly being misled on this very important safety feature, and Land Rover still uses misleading verbage in todays brouchures. SHAME ON YOU LAND ROVER. This isn't how you win over customers.
    Your concern for your children's safety is admirable, but you seem to be drawing some unwarranted conclusions about the function and performance of these airbag systems based on inadequate information. If you don't feel safe with your family in a Range Rover, there isn't anything else on the road that could give you the sense of security you are seeking.

Your model year Range Rover was designed by BMW, a car company that has a long and well-deserved reputation for protecting the safety of drivers and passengers in its vehicles. Their customers routinely write to tell the company about surviving accidents that would have caused death or serious injury in any other vehicle because their Bimmers were so well-designed and built. (FWIW, I survived a side impact crash in a BMW - before the advent of side impact air bags - and was able to drive my vehicle to the body shop for repairs. They are that tough.)

Consider the fact that the primary passenger safety system in any vehicle is the seat and shoulder belt system. If your kids are buckled in before you put the truck into gear, you have done the best thing you can do to protect them from harm in th event of an accident. If they are not yet old enough to use seat belts, then they should be belted in a properly secured, second-row car seat. Properly securing your loved ones inside a truck as tall, massive, and well-built as a Range Rover is the best thing you can do for them as a parent.

Second, remember that air bags are only supplemental safety systems. And in the case of side airbags, their primary function is to keep arms and heads inside the vehicle in the event of a side impact, and to prevent - to the extent possible - debris or other objects from entering a window. They also serve to protect against harm from impact with hard surfaces inside the truck. They were never intended to protect occupants from absorbing the kinetic forces of the initial impact the way that the steel frame and crush zones of the vehicle will. By belting your kids in properly, you are keeping them away from the exterior frame and body members that will absorb and re-direct the forces of a crash. You will also keep them away from the hard surfaces inside that can cause harm from secondary impacts. Isolation = safety.

Third, any safety system, like an air bag system, is one of the most intensively engineered and tested components of a vehicle. The risk of liability suits prompts all automakers to do their best to assure that these systems provide the protection that consumers are expecting. On the face of it, there is nothing to say that a full curtain air bag provides a measurably greater benefit than a tubular system.

Fourth, there may be another logical explanation for why the marketing materials showed one type of system and the production vehicle has a slightly different one installed. These are very complicated devices and only a limited number of companies make them. Considerations of price, availability, integration with other interior components such as seats and interior moldings, and regulatory approvals all affect the final configuration of the vehicle. The fact remains that you are driving a vehicle that has a side-impact supplemental restraint system. That's a lot more than many other manufacturers offer.

Please, before suggesting that Land Rover failed to serve your needs as a customer, go back to your dealer and have someone who knows the vehicle show you the location of the air bags in your truck. You're driving one of the safest vehicles on the planet and you're a good parent.
  • djt21djt21 Member Posts: 13
    Your statements are absolutely correct. The current RR was designed in the mid 90's by BMW with (at the time) state of the art design and safety standards. And yes, my children are always properly secured in the vehicle with Britax car seats.

But you can't ignore the facts. Most newer vehicles that have a head protection system (even the RR sport) use curtain style airbags for 1st & 2nd rows. And I really wouldn't care if RR continued with the original tube and pillow style system, I simply would have chosen to purchase a different vehicle that offered what some safety experts consider to be a safer system, such as a full curtain airbag. My only issue lies with how Land Rover irresponsibly promoted this as a redesign of the safety airbags to INCLUDE NEW CURTAIN AIRBAGS FOR BOTH ROWS. This is false and misleading.

No matter how well engineered a RR is and how safe it is in many other regards I was SIMPLY MISLED by the company when they put in writing in their 2007 brouchure that the RR had a new curtain style airbag system for head protection. I was also MISLED when the sales rep told me the same thing upon purchasing the vehicle.

I think the RR is a great vehicle, and as you said very, very safe and superior to other vehicles in many regards. But accidents DO happen and head protection for small children (or anyone for that matter) is incredibly important to ME, maybe not yourself. The depicted pillow style airbag in the 2nd row is very small, mounted high and does not extend low enough to protect young children and also leaves a great deal of the back window exposed where debris could enter through the window. Look at the picture of the so called "curtain style" airbags deployed in a 2008 RR brouchure and then tell me if you would'nt rather have your children in a vehicle with an actual curtain style system.

Upon contacting Land Rover North Americas corporate offices via their email correspondence, I was told that the illustration in brouchures are correct and the airbags depicted are accurate. THIS IS NOT what a 1st & 2nd ROW CURTAIN AIRBAG looks like.
  • andrewh5489andrewh5489 Member Posts: 2
    oh wow. ya i hadnt said anything to the dealership yet but i just bought a used 03 range rover and every once in a while when i go to unlock/get in my car there is a really high pitch squealing noise that i cant even figure out exactly where it comes from. sometimes it even cuts out if i restart the engine firmly. also sometimes it comes on randomly when im driving, but very rarely as opposed to when i unlock/enter the vehicle. i was wondering what it was and it sounds like this may be the same issue as with your 03 range. so i will probably mention these small fans to them when i tell them about the issue...also, i do not have any warranty that would likely cover these parts (i dont know if u did) but do u think it will be expensive to have them replaced? (i am well aware by now how much landrover likes to nickel and dime you for vehicle servicing). thanks so much for your help.