Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• mymaximamymaxima Member Posts: 8
    "Ody Owners: Has anyone noticed the suspension on the Odyssey is very noisy especially when running over closely spaced ripples in the pavement. I notice a rattling sound much like that of a loose shock absorber."

My '03 Ody EX makes the same suspention noise. Any resolutions from other owners? :cry:

Thanks.
  • newtohondanewtohonda Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Vger.

We use the van mostly to shuttle the kids around..

None of the things you mention have happened.. We have had this issue right from the beginning. Just haven't had a chance to pay serious attention to the problem. The dealership does not say anything is wrong with the tires, etc. We rotate tires, do the periodic maintenance, etc including wheel balancing as necessary and nothing changes.

I really want to make sure that I don't need to buy extended warranty just in case something IS fundamentally wrong and I'll need to fix it.

Thanks!
  • vgervger Member Posts: 30
    Aside from the lousy attitude from the manager at Honda when I went back because my Oddy's tranny going out the second time, the Oddy is a good vehicle, with little issues. Most Oddys will not have major problems until it closes to the 100,000 miles mark. With 30,000 in four years, you won't come near till another 8-9 years. What will the extended warrenty cover? More years or more miles? The greatest wear and tear on any vehicle is hard acceleration and hard braking (deaccerleration), especially fully loaded with a lot of weight, on a hot humid 90 degree + summer day, going up hill, on a unpaved road, with the air conditioner on full blast. In other words, take account of what type of driving you do mostly, do you do regular maintenance... oil changes especially? Timing Belt Change is reconmended by Honda at 60,000,... independent garages reconmend at 80,000. Cost range is from $ 700 - $1500 and any damage resulted by a broken timing belt is not covered by any warrenty. If you do go to an independent garage, make sure they are trained to do Hondas, because there are special adjustments and not just a remove and replace. I bought an extended warrenty for my Honda 2000, came in handy because my tranny went out. Of course I put in 100,000 in four years, but it came out to be an even trade. As for your wheel shudder...hmmm... I still think it has to do with the tires. When you do have to change them... get Michelins, Hydro Edge. Good rain and all around tire...very smooth ride.
    Vger
  • newtohondanewtohonda Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Vger! I'll keep the tire recommendations in mind.
  • tadeg1209tadeg1209 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Odyssey and the malfunction light wont go off even after closing the fuel cap properly. But each time I disconnect the battery it goes off and comes on again after a few days!
    The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) tells more than just a loose cap or O2 sensor going bad. Here in So Calif, we have Autozone Auto Parts store, which will read the MIL Code and tell you what is wrong for free. Whenever the (ECM) Engine Control Module senses anything going out, the check engine light will come on. It will retain it in it's memory till what is wrong is fixed or it's cleared by disconnecting the battery. Clearing it in memory doesn't correct what is wrong, so the light will come back on. BTW, by disconnecting the battery, you will also clear other important functions that is kept in memory in the ECM (transmission shift points, based on rpm and load). It will self learn again, but I wouldn't keep doing it. Most likely it is an O2 sensor bad or some part of your Emission system going out, but best to have it checked to see what the MIL Code is, Again some auto parts stores do it free.

Vger
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Wow. No one's had anything to say for six months?

Not that I do.....

My 2004 EX is going along just fine. I did buy a higher mileage car to reduce the number of miles I drive on the van but it isn't quite that. I got an old Celica convertible which is way fun and gets 30 mpg. When gas was up at $4 the savings was paying half the insurance on it... Now the Celica eats up miles and the Ody only has maybe 56K on it. I should be able to stretch it out long enough that it will be my last van.

In retrospect I probably would have been happier in a wagon with a thrid row seat because I like cars better than vans but I can't complain about the van. It's doing fine.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    A wagon??? What advantage does a wagon have over the Odyssey? Your Odyssey holds seven passengers, doors on both side, have room for cargo behind the last bench, front wheel drive with independent suspension which makes it drive like a sedan, and gets about 25 mpg average load and driving conditions. Now why would you be happier with a wagon?
  • sams2sams2 Member Posts: 3
    The motor mounts on my 2003 Ody failed at about 53,000 miles. Dealer quoted $950 to repair, said even though it was an early failure it was not covered by any warranty.. I had the repair done by my own mechanic for $650. Wrote to Honda and complained and asked them to pay for the parts. They agreed and sent me a check.
    If you experiences premature engine mount failure suggest that you contact your dealer and insist that they bring Honda into the loop. You might just get a free repair. Apparently Honda Motors is more reasonable than some of their dealers.

This is the second time that Honda helped out. I like them.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Actually, I changed by timing belt & water pumo and included a tune-up on my 2002 Odyssey at 154,000 kms. It cost me $1195$CN including Type II service. Dealer recommends timing belt at 168,000 but earlier would be safer. I do not know where you got 60,000 miles; should be 100,000 miles (or 161,000 kms) Only Michelin Symmetry, or Yokohama or Cooper Lifeliner Touring 225/60R16 98T are recommended. TireRack recomends the Symmetry. Remeber must be 98T and no P type otherwise you will have loaded and driving problems. I talked to both Honda & Michelin. I only use Symmetry tires I currrently have 214,000 kms and will drive it "into the gound". I changed my transmission at 180,000kms.
    Ontario, Canada
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX (current)
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van 351 cu ins V8
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-v6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini

They should outlaw Gray colours

all year long and I drivie in snow druing 4 monthe of winter.
    Here in the US, the Owner's Manual recommended in US miles is 60,000 miles or 100,000 km in Canada for the Odyssey. Independent Honda Service Garages recommends 80,000 US Miles.
    Check the following maintenace from Honda Canada
    http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/YourHonda/HondaService/MaintCalcSched.asp?year=2- 002&modelid=7&minder=False&TrimID=150&L=E

If you cannot read it please note the botton of the page

Specific Additional Required Maintenance
    Recommended KM/Months Specific Additional Required Maintenance
    120 mths/192k then every 60 mths/96k Replace Coolant
    24 mths/48,000 km Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid
    Every 36 mths Replace Brake Fluid
    84 mths/168,000 km Replace Spark Plugs
    Every 96,000 km Inspect Spark Plugs, Lubricate Threads and Replace if Necessary
    84 mths/168,000 km Replace Timing Belt & Inspect Water Pump
    100,000 km Replace Timing Belt & Inspect Water Pump if regularly driven in very low temp (-29 C, -20 F)
    84 mths/168,000km Inspect Valve Clearance, adjust if noisy
  • miguel4miguel4 Member Posts: 12
    I just replaced the front struts on a 2004 Odyssey. Did not replace the original upper strut assembly. After a few miles the suspension developed a light poping sound. After 300 miles the noise increased. Its a poping sound comming near the top of the strut assembly, almost as if the assembly is moving or rocking near the top. The noise happens as the suspension travels up and down, or when the van moves slighlty from one side to the other. could it be that I overtorqued the upper assembly? Any idea what it is before I take them out again? By the way, I have inspected the rubber liner that goes around the springs and that is not the problem.
    Sounds more like something got loosened in that 300 miles. Check if there are any loosened, or missing nuts or bolts. Though you worked on the struts, it may be a separate problem so check the suspension side where you hear the sound, for loosened nuts or rotted rubber bushings.
  • soul71soul71 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I recently bought a 2003 Odyssey van with a 72K miles on it. I am expereincing a chattering sound/noise (like churrrr ) when I push the gas pedal for acceleration at low speeds (30-40mph). It goes away within a second or two. This is currently happening occanionsaly and usually happend during my morning commute. When I bought this van couple of months ago the dealer told me that the van is checked for 100K service package and the every thing is in fine condition. When I check the Honda recall website for my van, it shows this van was part of the recall and the problem is fixed. Can any one help me identify what is causing this noise and a possible fix.

Thanks,
  • louieeggmanlouieeggman Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. My 2002 Odyssey sputters and almost stalls when you first push the gas pedal after starting it. It only does it the first time you pull out then its fine the rest of the trip. Anyone else have this problem?
    Most likely for the recall was for the transmission... faulty design. The engine rear mount also is known for wearing out which causes the tranny to make noise. Another noise maker is a worn idle pulley which gives the tension to the drive belt (AC, Altenator). If it is happenning all the time... ask the service manager to ride along for a test run as to hear the noise.

Vger
    Possibly dirty injectors... try putting in some fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

Vger
    How long does a rebuild transmission last? I know that Honda thenselves usually to not reuild them. It's outsourced iin most cases.

My 2002 had a replacement in 2007 at 180,000 jilimeters (Canadian odometer). Does this mean a replacement in 2003 was not as good as one done in 2005 or later in 2009, etc. Theit built quality got better as the years progressed?

Mine was guaranteed by the dealer for 30,000 kms It currently has 234,400 kms on it. That's 24+. Will it last the same as my last vehcle, which never had a tranny replaced in 276,000 kms. I traded it before that happened (1992 Taurus).

I am keeping the Odyssey until it dies (motor or too expense to repair).
    My original tranny lasted 75000 miles. The replacement lasted 40,000 from the dealer. Went to a independent transmission garage, and this one is just going out again at 65,000. From what I read in other internet forums, Honda has improve their trannys in the later Odyssys, and as far as the rebuilts, improved the front bearing which is one of the things that keep going out, though no guarantee of a permanant fix. Unfortunatly only covers the one time failier, maybe 50% on the second time.... we have to pay for the others.

Vger
    BTW,

last post I gave my experience, but I have read about others who only had one rebuilt and is still working fine at 100,000+ miles after the rebuilt. Makes you wonder if some knows better than others.

Vger
  • joes11joes11 Member Posts: 8
    Can I replace the third row bench seat in a 2003 odyssey with a 60/40 split bench seat????

Otherwise i will have to buy a 2005 odyssey which seems to be the first year they began making 60/40 split bench seats for the 3rd row in the odyssey.

You help is appreciated!
  • kenw4kenw4 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Odyssey with 140,000 miles
    The maintenance required light blinks about 10 times at startup then shuts off. I have checked the fluid levels and all look OK. Anything to be alarmed about or should I just reset the light?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Typically the blinking maintenance required light indicates that you are shortly due for maintenance. Based on the 7500 mile interval common for Honda, you are due for a service at 142,500 miles.
  • djvan7047djvan7047 Member Posts: 1
    my wife just had a similar issue. she attempted to start our 2004 ody, nothing. we had it towed the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. diagnostics were done, still nothing. What did you find was the issue.
  • louieeggmanlouieeggman Member Posts: 3
    I used fuel system cleaner and it still does it. It only does it after it sits a while and it only does it on the first pull out. After the initial pull out it runs fine. If it was an injector, wouldn't it do it all the time?
    This could be a simple air leak or the throttle valve stuck in open position. Check all intake air hoses for leaks and the intake manifold. I presume this is not a common issue. One other problem area may be the start relay, which is under the dashboard. The 90-94 accord used to do the same and it was a quick and simple $70 fix.
  • cabmanjdcabmanjd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey, never had a lick of problems until 94,000 miles when the check engine light came on. We live in a small town an hour from San Antonio TX, so when we took the van in for repairs I thought I'd check out the Element for the cabinet company I work for as a service vehicle. I left early to test drive and talk to the salesman and my wife was to meet me at the service dept. While talking to the salesman I get a call from my wife that she is at the service dept and the teck is saying something about replacing the tranny. I said I'd be right there. I walked over to the service cubby to "I knew that would get you over here fast, chuckle, chuckle". I told them that wasn't funny. Well - the next day the service guy calls and says "I've got bad news, we have to replace the transmission!" My reply was that wasn’t funny yesterday and is bordering on crewel today. But he wasn't kidding the tranny needed to be replaced, but Honda was going to pay for it. I was relieved but disappointed in the Ody.
    March forward 3 years and 30,000 miles, my pregnant daughter-in-law my daughter and girlfriend ask to use the van to move her stuff to Pensacola Fl. where my son is stationed in the Navy. I thought it best to get the tranny fluid changed before the trip and have the machine given the once-over. All went well until they got to Florida, the check engine light came on. It was the weekend and I asked them to take it to a place to get a code from the computer since the dealer was closed. It came back it was the tranny again. Crap, I’ve got 3 young ladies in Pensacola with my van with a bum tranny. I told them to wait until Monday morning so I could talk to the service advisor at my dealer in San Antonio, (Gunn Honda). We determined that they should be OK to drive it back - - -
    They made it to about 30 miles from Gunn Honda when it broke down, undrivable. I had it towed in. I was really upset because it was past the warranty, (100,000 mile extension on the transmission) and it need to be replaced. I thought the transmission should have lasted more than 30,000 miles and told Honda that. Well they agreed and are replacing the tranny again and picking up 90% of the bill. I’m disappointed that Honda released this car with a bum transmission but am ecstatic that they have the integrity to make things right. Hats off to Honda!
    Actually, if you paid for the extended warrenty, the first tranny was covered, the second should have been covered 100% because Honda Odysseys' have a Tranny Recall on them. Still, your dealer is pretty good at 90%. Mine would only give 50% and did not honor the Recall. What they did was they wrote the first one as the Recall at 70,000 instead of using my extended warrenty. Thus when it died the second time it was out of warrenty and they used the Recall. Never going back there again... and to think I sent four other people there to buy cars from them. It's Toyota for me now.
  • caseyh1caseyh1 Member Posts: 4
    One day we just woke up and the gear shift on the steering column no longer required us to pull the lever toward us and then move it down into gear. Now it requires just a very slight pressure downward and it just ratchets through gear positions . Also, "D" no longer catches the downward movement and it can easily go down past it or pop up to Neutral or Reverse.

The dealer thought it was the 'shift interlock solenoid' wearing out. But everyone else who has that kind of problem is having it get stuck in Park, which we are not. I'm pretty handy and don't mind getting into it but I don't want to just throw parts at it until it is fixed.

Anyone who has had this and/or knows what it is please let me know
    Hi Caseyh1,
    Speaking from the top of head, it soundsa more like linkage problem than electronic solenoids. I would trace down the linkage line first... again sounds like something came loose where there is notches to lock a position for each gear setting... whether external or internal.
    Vger
    how long can I expect my 2002 odyssey to last? I currently have 237,000 kilometers (Canada) on it and would like it to last 600,000 miles. I replaced the transmssion at 180,000 kms (1st and only time).
    Do you mean 600,000 kilometers? 600,000 miles is asking a lot for any vehicle in miles... not that it can not be done, but it really depends on two things. Doing regular maintenance and the type of driving you do. Regular maintenance I'm sure you know why, type of driving is based on the enviroment extreme harsh weather, road condition, steep uphills, stop and go traffic, all are hard on your vehicle. The other which you have more control over is hard starts (lead foot), unnecessary loading up your vehicle, hard stops. unnecessary fast acceleration ( where your tranny downshifts, the VTEC kicks in), All of these will shorten the life of your vehicle.

Vger
  • mwanimwani Member Posts: 1
    What is a reasonable cost of replacing timming belt on 02 odyssey
    Thank s
    It cost me CAN$1,195.13 as broken below on my 2002.

Replace Timing Belt & Water Pump 154,061 794.02
    Replace Spark Plugs & Sepium Belt 154,061 234.04
    Type II Service 154,061 167.07

My 2002 Odyssey currently has 243,000 kilometers ib it and the ransmissoin was replaced once at 182,000 kms.
    You can buy a timing belt for about USD 30 and a water pump for around 130 USD. A repair manual for 20-30.

It will take you 8-12 hours your first time. Ask around and see if a friend has done it before (really) and can give you some pointers. Be careful but you don't need to be too scared to do it.
    I haven't priced it for awhile, but back 2006 it was 600+ USD. Without getting "sticker shock", I would guess around 800 - 1000, find anything less... do it, but make sure they do have experience (if not a dealer garage) with Hondas. In my youth I would have tried to do it myself, but I seem to be not as careful as I used to be. My suggestion is if you're not too handy with tools, let the pros do it. One notch off and it means remove and replace "again"!
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Just hit 115,000 miles on my '03 Ody EX-L back just before Christmas. The vehicle is in really good physical condition and I decided we needed to keep it 2 more years. I took it into the local Honda dealer to get the belts changed, water pump replaced, and the plugs replaced (approx. $850). Service guy called and said I had two really bad engine mounts that I should change and one would be less cost now due to the location and work they were already doing. He also said I would notice a ride difference. So $1,350 later I drove off. It definitely drives smoother. Took a 1,200 mile trip the day after and it did great.

I have religiously changed the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles. I also have the tow package which includes added cooling for the tranny. I use a utility trailer for weekend jobs and I bought a 2,500 pound boat about a year ago that it tows very well (towed it 1,500 miles round trip this summer).

All-in-all we have been really happy with this car. Everything on the car is still 100% functional and the seats are not worn out or torn. A few carpet stains and some scratches on the front bumper and that is about it. I hope the tranny does not sneak up on me these last 2 years.

Anyone out there have a '03 Ody with more miles and no problems?
    At 234,000 kma I am thinking it could be a good thing to add a transmission cooler. Of course, if I go ahead I would only have Honda install it. My transmision was replaced at 180,000 lms.
    I originally was not thinking of towing as it's front-wheel drive. The last time I towed anything is was with a 1982 Ford E150 travel van with a 351V8. I pulled a 6,000 lb 21 ft trailler with it.
    The rear and passenger side motor mounts went out on my 2000 Odys. It made lowspeed rattling sound coming from the tranny. A cooler for any tranny is a plus for any car. Most passenger cars from Honda (Acuras too) have a two finned tube coolers, stock... looked at my Ody and have a no finned tube which does little in cooling.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    The cooler is an easy install unless you are ' all thumbs', but then that has its own set of problems. For some reason Honda thinks whilst towing the Ody also needs a power steering cooler. I am not exactly sure about that rational, but it too is an easy install parallel to the trans cooler in front of the radiator...
    Actually you're right, the coolers thats on the sedans and Acuras are stock power steering coolers and not for ther trans... more important than trannys... IMHO, I don't think so.
  • tlw6tlw6 Member Posts: 15
    I am having problem pulling the light compartment out (the red, reflective housing at the back). I took the two bolts (under the plastic covers) out and try to pull it. But there is something at the far tip that was holding the compartment and preventing it from coming out. I don't want to pull too hard, fearing that I might break a latch or something. Can someone shea a light? Thx.
    There are no bolts holding it inside, just a pressure pin that requires you to pull the entire assembly with one hand holding the side of the assembly. Simply pull hard, pressure is the only thing holding it after you remove the bolts.
    Just curious, your first timing belt change was at 115K miles? Did you buy the van new?

Thanks!

Casey
    I have 120K and planning to go to 125K before changing the timing belt. Yes, I bought it new and many friends I know go over 125K before changing the belt. It shows no visible signs of needing to be replaced. I did change the plugs at 100K and felt I wasted my time and money. They still looked in excellent conditions. The only problems I have had were with one engine mount and one EGR valve. Other than than, brake pads and the front struts (normal wear although the brake rotors don't go over 30K without needing to be resurfaced). The tranny is still going good (change the oil every 15K) but I know these won't go too far beyond 150K so I am getting mentally prepared for the shock when the time comes.
    Yes...I purchased with 3mi on the odometer. See my posting for details on what I have replaced to date ( brake rotors (2), pads, front struts, 1 engine mount, 1 EGR valve) and nothing else. Going strong at 120K and planning on surpassing my neighbor with 212K (and it's her daily commuter).
    On my 2002 I replaced my timing belt, spark plugx, sepium belt & water pump @ 154,000 kms although it called for 168,000 kms. I currently have 246,900 on it.
  • themedermanthemederman Member Posts: 3
    I know this has been discussed here in the past but...

I took my van to a mechanic to get a little work done (oil change and check engine light). Turns out I also needed a timing belt an an engine mount. $1,300 later I pick up the van. I noticed almost immediately upon acceleration that the engine was pinging - if I accelerate going up hill it is really bad. The mechanic said it must have been bad gas. I went back to him again today (4 months after this started). He couldn't find a problem using the diagnostic and he said he couldn't hear anything accelerating in the streets near his shop (he is the only one there so we could't go to the highway and really push it). Anybody have any thoughts on this?
  • jwpfljwpfl Member Posts: 11
    The timing belt was probably installed incorrectly and is a tooth off from proper crank/cam alignment. Try to get the mechanic to look at the timing marks again.