Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• slpmomslpmom Posts: 11
    if honda is compromising their quality on the line, they certainly aren't the first. my husband worked as an inspector at a ford plant during college. he was told not to flag as many vehicles for repair at the plant as he was. they told him that they would catch the repairs later at the dealership.....
  • Well we have had our 2001 TW ODY EX for about two months and have accumulated 3400 miles. We traded are 99 CSS ODY LX for it and would like to add my anecdotal thoughts to this thread.

We loved the 99 but traded since we wanted the feature content of the EX. We lucked out as we were out of town visiting my 99 Windstar SEL owning parents and their local Honda dealer had it on the lot.

Honda has improved the speakers (Very noticible not as tinny) and the Michelin tires are measurably better than the Firestone Affinities. The van is quieter than the 99 and I think the build quality tolerances are tighter as well.

We have had no problems with the Power doors. I did leave a door open and discovered the 01 will shut the dome lights off automatically.

The climate control is virtually set it and forget. We've survived several weeks of below zero (Christmas was -17 below with a windchill of -40) and the van started each time after sitting outside overnight without being plugged in.

It seems each vehicle I have owned is never perfect and this Ody seems to have a quirk with its gas gauge. The 99 was calibrated almost perfectly. It took 10 gallons of gas to fill the tank if it the needle was at the 1/2 hash mark. Ten gallons fills the 01 when the needle is closer to 1/4 tank. My wife commented that the new Ody is a gas hog but when refilling it the actual mileage is close to the 99. The needle does drop fast and the low fuel light illuminates with 7 gallons in the tank.

One comment about Consumer Reports. It was noted in a post above that the 99 Ody will be on the cars to avoid list. This was never mentioned in the January Minivan comparison and the Ody had the highest score.

Family Feud update: Parents still love their Windstar. Mom was a little dismayed that our '99 ODY LX commanded a higher resale value than their SEL.
  • "One comment about Consumer Reports. It was noted in a post above that the 99 Ody will be on the cars to avoid list. This was never mentioned in the January Minivan comparison and the Ody had the highest score.
    "

The Odyssey got CR's best "score" among all minivans in CR's overall evaluation of minivans. That is separate from recommending a vehicle, however: CR will recommend a vehicle if it does well in its evaluation AND if it rates at least average in its problem incident surveys (CR rates quality statistically by analyzing repair history surveys answered by readers).

CR also has a recommended used car list and a used-car-to-avoid list. The second is based exclusively (almost exclusively ?) on which vehicles rated signficantly below average in problems.

The Odyssey rated average for problems according to CR's latest minivan article, which was in last month's issue. So unless there is a signficant and unexpected change in the next few months, the Odyssey will not appear on the used-car-to-avoid list. It is CR's highest-rated minivan, and is one of the minivans recommended by CR, since it received the highest evaluation score and it received an average rating for problems.
  • Have a 87 Accord for past 14 years and still works fine some rust but kicking. Looking for a new Odyssey,I like the features of the ex model but the power doors worry me. I live in i. so the winter weather also is a concern on the doors.
    Does Honda do any kind of dealing on this model?
    Does anybody still get rustproofing?
    thanks
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    See my post back on 12/13 (around #316).
    In an e-mail response, CR confirmed to me that the 1999 Odyssey had a rating far below average. This is why the overall projection dropped to average in the review, from well above average in the previous review of the 1999 EX and in the April, 2000 Car edition.

I do not know if that necessarily means the 1999 Odyssey will be on the Used car list to avoid.
  • Has anyone out there installed the Keyless locks themselves on an ODY LX??? Any TIPS or recommendations you'd like to give me before I start to install mine? I bought the genuine HONDA products with very detailed instructions at HANDA-ACCESSORIES.COM for $158 !!
  • "In an e-mail response, CR confirmed to me that the 1999 Odyssey had a rating far below average...."

I just checked the CR site. The `99 Odyssey has dropped to the
    "worse than average" ranking in reliability. The `00 Odyssey is
    ranked as "average". However, the only Honda listed in the used-
    car-to-avoid list is the Passport for the 95 to `99 model years.

CR gives a fair amount of information about how their reliability rankings are derived. The "executive summary", using a specific year as a for-instance, is as follows:

"For each model, this details the problem rates in 14 trouble
    spots, such as engine, transmission, brakes, and so forth. These
    data are derived from annual surveys of Consumer Reports'
    subscribers, covering experiences with hundreds of thousands of
    vehicles. On the 1999 Annual Questionnaire, readers were asked
    about "serious" problems that occurred between April 1998 and
    March 1999. We received responses covering more than 500,000
    vehicles. Only models with sufficient responses are included... "
  • kprn94kprn94 Posts: 4
    I am so glad I bought the Ody. I bought it in PA and I live in NY. I got it for $2000 less. The dealers in N are adding $2000 to the sticker. I will be getting it next week, I can't wait. My husband is still trying to tell me we should have bought another SUV. I hope this snow starts to melt. I"ll never make it up my driveway. How are they in the snow? I am still a little concerned about the talk of noise and reliability. I can't recall the noise factor when I test drove one. You're right about the fact, if you think there is a noise problem, there will be one! Thanks again. It was a war to get the Ody. They had people waiting on line. They must be doing something right at Honda. Thanks!! KPRN94
  • First of all, FWIW, we now have 18 months and 30,000 miles on our 99 EX, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever - just as one would expect from Honda.

I am posting to ask if anyone can tell me, or perhaps point me a to a site that describes, how to replace a side mirror. Thanks to some creative backing by my dear wife, our driver side mirror was crushed.

I got the part (replacing the entire unit, not just the glass) online, and it really looks like it should be a very simple installation, so much so that even though I don't consider myself especially handy at such things, I figure I should be able to do it myself. Looks like just a matter of screwing in a couple of bolts. The problem is, I can't figure out how to access those bolts...

Any help will be appreciated.

David
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    Good to see their website confirms what they said in their e-mail.

The previous post I referenced also contains the areas which were affecting the lower reliability, according to the same e-mail.
  • I had a similar problem with my 2000EX. The door wouldn't shut properly and the alarm would ring. It turned out to be the motor that pulls the door shut at the end of its run. It had to be replaced (dealer had one in stock) and it has worked since.

According to the mechanic, the old motor seemed to work fine on the bench but wouldn't work in once installed. Happy with the fix and the dealer. Irritated by the alarm.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,902
    I did a search for "99 Odyssey Side view Mirror" at www.deja.com and found one post that may help you. It said to lower the window, remove the mirror mount cover by prying off the bottom and pulling from the top, remove 4 bolts, and then remove the clip and pull the mirror off. Take a look at the deja post for a better description (maybe this link will work).

Steve_
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Can you tell me where in PA you got your Odyssey for $2000 under MSRP. I too live in NY.

Thanks

John

EM-ail me at JSkliutas@aol.com
  • billg7billg7 Posts: 342
    "Can you tell me where in PA you got your Odyssey for $2000 under MSRP. I too live in NY"

"I am so glad I bought the Ody. I bought it in PA and I live in NY. I got it for $2000 less. The dealers in N are adding $2000 to the sticker. I will be getting it next week"

Could it be that it is saying he got it for $2000 less in PA then what the dealers in NY are charging which is $2000 over sticker, therefore he got it for MSRP. The paragraph appers to be a bit of riddle to solve. This board should have a riddle solver in addition to a Check Spelling perhaps :)
  • dj5dj5 Posts: 42
    By going to PA kprn94 was able to buy for MSRP not $2000 below MSRP.

The $2000 NY dealer add-on to MSRP was the savings.
  • Gladly picked up our GG LX on the 20th of January. Liked EX, but decided to go with LX and use the $2500 of saved money to get leather interior from a Classic Soft Trim Distributor for $1370 including tax and installation. Additionally still had money left over to get the Honda Care 7 year/100K mile/0 deductible. Had dealer install complete roof rack, keyless remote entry, and splash guards (thrown in for "free"). Got the keyless entry for $265, complete roof rack for $295, and ATF cooler for $249. Total (including doc fee, delivery) was $25954 including the above and also with the cargo net and spash guards. Thus, paid slightly more than an EX, but for our purposes we liked the LX better with the add-ons. Didn't care to get the power sliding doors, and the LX has plenty of power options for our purposes. I've had alloy wheels previously (not that big a deal). Furthermore, adjusting the climate control manually isn't too bothersome. I prefer Michelins, but my wife's Firestone affinities lasted for 82,000 miles with some tread remaining on her last car. Glad we went with the Honda Care Warranty especially with hearing the reports of the 99's being rated below average in reliability. Went with Odyssey for Honda's known reliability (hope the initial 99 year was an aberration). My 1990 acura integra has 140,000 miles and is still going strong. My extended warranty on my integra paid for itself after the cruise and A/C had problems after the original warranty had expired. Liked the Sienna a lot, but we now have 2 children and a 75 lb. dog (he fits perfectly in the rear area). The magic seat and larger rear cargo area were very compelling. Also felt that the cost for the van and options desired was better than on the Sienna. It will be nice when family comes to visit that we can all take one car most of the time. Many have argued that the Sienna has a better standard warranty, which it does but the 7 year honda care for about $900 isn't a bad deal IMHO with the complexity of cars and expensive repair costs. I have several friends with 99 and 00 odysseys with excellent satisfaction and a lack of any problems. Know some Sienna owners, who are also very satisfied, but one did have the torque converter problem and a faulty seal on the engine. CR rates the Sienna more reliable, but I hope the 01 Odysseys favor better. Finally, the van with only 160 miles on it drives straight (no significant drift!), drives and shifts smoothy, has no steering wheel click, gas gauge went to full at least on first fill up, no clunk on backing up but still have a half a tank of fuel, doesn't seem extraordinarily noisy inside (can barely hear engine as compared to my acura), sliding doors open and close smoothly, no apparent shaking at speeds up to 75 mph, and no significant wind noise from the roof rack or its cross bars. Glad we went with the Odyssey LX (TCS is also standard now for the 01s). Best regards and happy driving.
  • Hello again:

I live in Upstate NY and the price I found for the EX is about $26,400 which I believe is the MSRP. Not sure if dealer has added $2000.Can some confirm that$26,400(without destination fee or accessories)is the MSRP?

Thanks

John
  • 2001ody2001ody Posts: 17
    Please describe the 'steering wheel clicking' noise. Is this a problem which must be corrected? If so, what is the fix. Thanks.
  • mojo66mojo66 Posts: 83
    Yes, MSRP on a 2001 EX is $26,400.
    Had my SS EX for a week now and just replaced the headlight bulbs with PIAA E-TREME white replacements. I was amazed at the difference. The headlights almost look like the xenon headlights on my Acura TL. The light is very white as opposed to the yellow given off by the halogen bulbs. Also replaced the back-up lights with a slightly brighter bulb. Also gives a very white light compared to the yellow. Headlight bulb replacements were approx. $120 and back-ups were approx. $30. Took about 15-20 minutes for me to install. Don't know if it really gives off more light as I haven't had the opportunity to drive on a dark street, but I like the white light they produce.
  • hi, i'd really appreciate you posting a follow-up report after you've had a chance to see whether the back-up lights are brighter or not. also, what kind are they? where did you get them? thanks
  • at one time in this forum, someone posted a link to the honda website talking about how the first oil change should be done at 7500 miles because of the special break-in oil that came with the car. since we can't search these forums anymore (not even display all messages and doing a browser search), does anyone know where it is and can direct me. the honda website is not searchable but i know it was there. please help!
  • Thank you very much for turning up that link. Hopefully, those instructions should do the trick.

David
  • mschafermschafer Posts: 317
    I run higher wattage bulbs (100/80W), and they are real flame throwers. They cost about US$12 each. They can be found at: http://www.htnews.com/comptltd.
    Binkybarnes, the replacement back-up lights are definetly brigher about 25%. Here is the web site for the back-up lights that I ordered http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-Light~bulbs-Signal,Corner,Tail~and~accessories~bulbs-No-2062-none.cfm

I also ordered my PIAA Extreme White headlight bulbs from them also.

• I'm going to paste this message that I received via email, I could not reply to this person question via email, there email is down or whatever.

There ?
    I just bought a 2001 Odyssey EX in Georgia and would like to buy the Honda Care 7/100k/0 warranty from one of the dealers on your checklist. If you don't mind, can you answer the following questions:

1. What does this warranty cover? There is a description of other warranties (Sentinel, Powertrain, etc) on the Honda Website.
    2. Does the 7 years run concurrent with the standard 3 year warranty?
    3. Do I simply request an application from the dealer? Is proof of purchase required?

Thanks for al your help!!!

My answer:
    Hi, We also have the EX..nice van!

Anywho..
    1. The warranty covers the exact same items it covers in the 3 year warranty so I was told.
    2. The "total" warranty period is 7 years, 100,000 miles or 7 years from the time you bought the van.
    3. I don't believe you need to show proof, but you will need the VIN # off the van. You should be able to do this right over the phone so we have been told. (we bought ours at the dealer we purchased the van from, just told them we could get it at $895, my mother-in-law did the same from the dealer she bought her EX from)

I am one that hates insurance, (this is like insurance)but with all the electrical now a days in cars, that $895 could pay for itself. The other thing about the warranty, you can transfer to "one" other owner when and if you sell. Good selling point. We plan on keeping ours till the new model of Odyssey comes out and more then likely buy another Odyssey. Have heard the new models come out about every 4 years or so. So, got a couple of years to go, and the $895 spent now, gives peace of mind and may well get it back when we sell.

Take care and drive very safely
    Dick
  • mojo66mojo66 Posts: 83
    I referred to the same web site listed above when it came time for the first change, and the way I interpreted the information, 7,500 mi. is not necessarily what is recommended. It does say that the interval should be based on your specific driving situations, so, since we do more non-freeway, around town stop-and-go driving I folllowed that schedule in the owner's manual and did the first change at 3,750. I hope I didn't make a mistake by not waiting, but I can't see how changing the oil a little early could cause any long-term problems.
  • mschafer, flame-throwers??? just what i need...sign me up!

dj5, 25% brighter...is that bright enough?

mr_d, thanks...how in the world did you find that?

you guys (or gals, who knows?) are terrific. thanks for the prompt response.

btw, i got the striker covers from trevor (HandA-Accessories.com) really quickly and it looks as though the passenger side captains chair is gonna stay out...DW says that is the arrangement she likes best. now i have to find a place to store that thing. man, how do owners of the other minivans find room to store the entire 3rd row seat(s)??? my MIL stores hers in her living room, as if that wasn't cluttered enough already
  • lsg1lsg1 Posts: 42
    I have been thinking about getting the 7yr/100k extended warrantee when I pick up my 2001 EX. I just realized that with my car insurance (Geico) I have what is called Multi-risk insurance, which is an extended warrantee...
    Will this be the same as if I bought the extended one from honda?