Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn ION

Comments

• mahirimahiri Member Posts: 26
    Hello,
    I am debating between buying a Saturn ION for about 10,900 or a 1997-98 used Honda Civic (70,000 miles) for 7,000. I would appreciate any input on which is the better deal.
  • cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    My parents are currently in the market for a new vehicle and am inquiring about problems/issues with the Saturn Ion 3 models. We had 2 Saturns both SL2's, one was manual and the other automatic. Both cars have treated us well and barely had any problems and we had over 190,000 miles on them before we traded them in. So my parents trust the cars and know that they will be able to drive them for a while.

Any thoughts, concerns or problems others have encountered would be great!

Thanks in advance!
  • cdavidhesscdavidhess Member Posts: 26
    I have owned a 2006 ION 3 with the 2.4L engine and manual transmission for 8 months. I have 10,000 miles on the car. I have not had the slightest problem. I highly recommend the car. It is a real value.
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Well, it's actually been a few months more than a year (April) but better late than never.

I leased a 2005 ION I (base) sedan (don't even think they make them anymore, do they?) back in April of last year. Almost 15K miles later I have yet to have a single hiccup with the car (OK...now I am doomed!!!).

It gets great gas mileage (averaging about 28-30 mpg on my daily commute of 80% highway, 20% city), has a nice ride (quieter than I expected for such an inexpensive car) and has decent acceleration for a 4 banger.

With no money down and a $159 a month (with tax) lease payment, I'd have to say, I couldn't be happier with this vehicle so far!
  • berne1berne1 Member Posts: 5
    I got my ION 2 back in April. Bought strictly as a commuter car (and for the payment). I pay $222/mo for 24 month lease with 18K miles/yr. I got the 5-speed because I prefer a stick, plus it added an add'l $250 rebate.

I have been pleasantly surprised with: 1) Engine performance - this car really pulls well in the powerband, especially with the 5-speed, 2) Transmission shift quality is really good, 3) I like the iPod jack, 4) MPG is about 30 in combined driving (75% highway). This car is a lot more fun to drive than I expected, 5) Interior is much quieter than I expected.

Disappointments include: 1) Poor sound quality from the base stereo. There were no ION 2's with the premium sound system within a 500 mile search. 2) Hard plastic dash material, and some rough edges (notably cutouts for turn signal, etc.), 3) Floaty suspension, 4) I can't believe in this day and age that ABS is optional, 5) Styling. Definitely not a fan of the styling, however the price overruled that decision.

Another disappointment (addressed to the dealers)--it seems they all order the same specs on the ION. For the same MSRP I would have gotten the alloy wheels and passed on the head curtain airbags. There was no dealer within a few hundred miles who had one spec'd the way I would have liked.

Overall I am very happy with the car as a daily commuter and would recommend to anybody (with the few minor changes listed above).
  • annieb1annieb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ion with consistant no-starts. It has been in and out of the dealer for repair 7 times within a month. First they replaced the ignition, then a few times they blamed it on wiring, now they have replaced the ignition again. Saturn liaison is not helpful, on the verge of rudeness and makes me feel as if it's my fault or either I am imagining the situation. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
  • cob05cob05 Member Posts: 2
    When you turn the key, nothing happens or the starter works but the engine won't start?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    sounds like the same problem I had with my first 2003 ION; intermittant rough or no starts. Dealer could not fix it - hopefully you will have better luck. For me it ended up replacing whole car under Saturn's 30 day warranty.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to current or previous Saturn owners that went to the homecoming events in Springhill, TN sometime around 1994 and 2000. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006.
  • ranwagsranwags Member Posts: 2
    Hello befor I graduated high school I sold my 95 S-10 and bought a salvage titled 2003 Saturn Ion. But now in my second year of college I one hour one way to school form my wife and I's house. My car does not have crusie control so when I was fixing it I bought the factory module for cruise control that goes under the dash. I fianlly decided to install it this past week but when I started looking there where no connectors included in the wiring harness that would allow the factory module to be connected. So I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on if it's possible to do and if so what wires is need to look for.
    Thank You,
    Randall Wagler
  • hollymhollym Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ion with intermittant no-starts. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything. Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed? This isn't the same problem I had with my 97 Saturn, where I had to mess with the steering wheel and the shift to get it to agree to start.
  • meekr46meekr46 Member Posts: 2
    My son's 2003 has the same problem as yours. This usually happens in cold weather and is intermittent. Neither Saturn's or our mechanic could suggest a fix. Have you heard of a solution?
  • meekr46meekr46 Member Posts: 2
    "When you turn the key, nothing happens or the starter works but the engine won't start?"

My son's 2003 has the same problem as yours. This usually happens in cold weather and is intermittent. Neither Saturn's or our mechanic could suggest a fix. Have you heard of a solution?
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    My daughter has a 03 ION that we purchased used from a private party. The previous owner gave me the maintenance records. At around 30K miles the previous owner went to the Saturn Dealer complaining of a intermittent starting problem. The dealer claims that the under the hood fuse box was loose (causing the car to lose ground) the mechanic tighten the box and declared the problem resolved. The car has 55K miles and we have not experienced any problems with intermittent starting. I hope this helps someone.

Good Luck.
  • mcgeriscmcgerisc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Saturn Ion with 19880 miles on it. The check engine light keeps coming on. I have replaced the gas cap, per dealers request, two times now and it has not helped. I let them keep the car all day and they did a smoke test and they replaced the fuel sensor. I drove it the next day and the check engine light came back on. Has anyone else had a similar experience??? Any suggestions???
  • breathe4me1breathe4me1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 saturn ion with 21,000 miles..it has been in the shop 7 times for engine light coming on. it also drops in speed to 10-15 mph thats with it floored. they have tried many different things to fix it...this time they replaced the wiring harness and said this sould fix it. took them over a week this time to decide what to do. i just got it back yesterday. i also went through corporate and got no where. if it does it again im going a different route. dont know if that helps any...gl
  • brountreebrountree Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 ion and have never had any trouble with it until this mornign when the service vehicle light came on after the car wouldn't turn over. After about 10-15 minutes it started and ran fine. It has been running great so I'm a little puzzled about the possible cause of this. Anyone had this happen and if so, what was the problem?
    Step 1: (This one is free)

Go to Auto Zone and ask them to pull the codes. If it is not something important, ask the guy to clear the code and see if the light comes back on. Good Luck!
  • koneko03koneko03 Member Posts: 1
    This is a question that I don't think you guys may've gotten quite often. I was wondering how exactly do you disable the governor of a 2004 Saturn Ion? I've been trying to figure out how to do it but I just can't find the info. If you know the answer send it to me at micia.sherman@cvn74.navy.mil

I really would appreciate the help. :)
  • helpmefindacarhelpmefindacar Member Posts: 14
    I am going to look at a 2004 ION tomorrow.

-------Has anyone had problems with their 2004 ION?
    I have been reading some of the forums but it is a little hard to remember what you read about a 2003,2005,or 2004 because there is so much info!

Here is the info on it:
    Mileage 34,673
    Engine 4 Cylinder Gasoline
    Transmission 4 Speed Automatic
    Thanks!
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    Although I can't speak for any 04 IONs, we bought a 2003 Saturn ION 2 with automatic transmission new in 2003 and we love it. We put almost 78,000 miles on it. Have had no major problems but have performed routine maintenance. Did replace the tires at 65,000 miles (Costco's great for tires).

You should consider using Carfax to look up specific/potential problems with that car. You will need to know the car's VIN and it costs $25 for the service. Sometimes dealers who list on auto selling websites (carsdirect, msn autos, etc.) will pay for a link to the Carfax report, so you don't have to pay for it.
  • nobody14nobody14 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all! I have an '06 Ion 2 quad coupe. I came out of work yesterday and noticed that my passenger side mirror is cracked. The electrical system seems to be intact (you can hear it moving, and it will move the mirror side to side, but not up and down). There are 3 or 4 vertical cracks right around the middle of the mirror, and as far as I can tell, no other damage other than a mark on the back of the mirror (plastic part) that rubbed off when I touched it. I think someone may have jsut clipped it going by. How hard will it be to fix that? I had to do that years ago with my old '97 SL2, and I got the glass for like 6 bucks and just pulled the old one off and put the new one on. But those were not power mirrors. Help! I want to fix this myself, because what a stupid thing to go to insurance for!!!!! Thank you in advacne!!!!
  • caitywcaityw Member Posts: 2
    So here is the Deal. When I push my horn on my 04' Saturn Ion level 2, I can hear the relay click in the engine compartment. The fuses are good. So I then go to find the horn disc and I can not find it any where. My father and my boyfriend who know just about everything about cars can not find it. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience finding theirs. Or I might just be missing it all together.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    With the exception of the off topic, the 2000th reference to the Sta Puft marshmallow steering wheel and umpteen comments of the same category from the same people over and over again :sick:,rebates and incentives from 03-04 I read all the posts on the Saturn ION.

Pretty fascinating as a reference point for the 05 ION 1 Auto. I purchased new.If I had read all of it before the purchase; I still would have bought it.

I haven't posted on Edmund's for several years now, but here is my impression of the ION:

It has proven itself in service, ease of use and fuel economy : mearly 38 mpg many times on vacation trips with most tanks running in the 34-35 mpg range. 24-26 in LA traffic, and always better than the EPA ratings.

Center IP: perfectly at home using it even before getting out of the lot on the first test drive.

Electronic steering took much longer, about 3 months to adapt to. It is akin to the 66 Mercury Montclair I learned to drive on.

The ride and quiet of the car is tremendous and I love the looks of it, [even though I think I prefer the grille on the 03-04 rather than the psuedo VW look they seemed to want to attempt with the 05].

It really proved itself on a 2000 mile round trip from LA to Tucson to Salt Lake and back where it encountered wind, heat, mountains, differing altitudes, freezing cold and snow and traffic moving at all sorts of speed. It handled all of it with amazing ease. A very good car.

It had the intermittent start problenm once and the ignition switch was replaced.

The car was purchased after my 99 Cavalier was rear ended and destroyed. [50,000 miles and never a problem].

I had acquired a 95 SL 1 5M during that time.It was so solid at 116,000 miles, when the accident occurred I drove it for several months as my only ride and when it came time for a new car again, I had to check out the Saturn dealer.

Initially, at intro of the ION I felt the same way as many did as regards to it's weird for weird sake design choices. The commercials that filled the cars with clowns, dorks and geeks didn't help the image any.

After finally driving it and discovering that it met all the criteria for a 10 year [even 20 year] car: bulletproof engine and GM Hydramatic, rust and dent free polymer panels,simple design,industrial strength style upholstery that looks like it will wear well, basic equipment [fewer things to go wrong], a chain instead of a rubber timing belt, and a huge pool of mechanical parts for future needs,I bit.

The styling will wear well as the new Sentra and the Sebring seem to be aping it, as well as the Maxima. It doesn't look so bizarre any longer. At least not to the degree of fugly like the Montero, Aztek, Caliber [21st Century road toad, taking the crown from the 60-62 Plymouth Valiant], 03-05 Cavalier, etc.

All the prerequisites were there for a car that will be running and enjoyable long after it's been paid off and for as many years as I would like to keep it.

Aside from the 1 problem, quickly corrected by the dealer, in 21,500 miles I have rotated the tires, changed the oil and filters and that is the extent of it's mechanical needs.

Have never taken it to the "Oil Life" monitor light between oil changes, so don't know if that feature works well or not.

If anyone is considering one of the 07s they would be a rewarding and long lived buy.

BTW: Edmunds gives the 05 a 5.8 and the owners give them an 8.9 in the evaulation section. You really do have to drive one to appreciate it's qualities. And the ECOTEC is known among owners to not get it's best mpg #s until well after the first 3000 miles [something referenced in the Car & Driver Long Term test as well]

It gets a bum rap for poor mileage especially when compared to 100 HP 5 speed SOHC S Series. The mileage is comparable to the SL2 and the 124 HP DOHC.

For the room, comfort, quiet, tighter turning radius and comfortable ride, smoother drivetrain; the slight penalty in mileage is a minimal price to pay. The 95 SL1 seems like a Model T in comparison.
  • kayteestinchkayteestinch Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my Saturn a month ago from a private seller, 30,000 miles on it and I love the car.

However I am having issues with the power locks. Two days ago the lock button on my remote wouldn't work, (as a matter of fact none of the buttons would work, the trunk release, horn, nothing)I tried the button on the inside of the door to lock the doors and nothing happened. I waited a few minutes and by some chance I was able to use the remote to lock it.

Yesterday while I was driving the locks began locking and unlocking like they were possessed.

This morning nothing worked to lock the car, I had to manually lock every door.

Anyone have similar issues like this?

Thanks!!
  • al_tal_t Member Posts: 2
    .....I'm trying to figure out if the XM antenna thats on the roof of the car can be used in my external XM receiver?
    The radio that came with the car is not XM ready but I have a portable XM unit that I would like to tie into the existing antenna?

Also is their a manual on line some where for this car?

AL_T
  • xstarsfallingxxstarsfallingx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ion 2 which, for the last year, has run it's AC on the highest setting as though it was on fan level 1. There is an audible clicking noise coming from somewhere. I have no clue how to troubleshoot this on my own, but I'm wondering if it is a simple enough procedure that someone can explain it to me.

When I drop my head down by the foot area of the passenger side, I can hear noises from whatever unit is down there. The air is cold, but the pressure is almost non-existant.
    You most likely you need to replace the fan.

Good luck.
  • sldr921chadsldr921chad Member Posts: 2
    I thinking of putting a cold air intake on a 2006 saturn ion and i know it can be done but i was wondering if it was possible to get around the air flow censer to some how bypass that with out the engine stalling or the enginge light coming on
  • vdisillusionvdisillusion Member Posts: 1
    I have a Saturn 2003 Ion which only has less than 40K miles (mostly highway) and I'm on my 3rd major repair. Everything was fine until my 3yr warranty was up, then everything started to break (a strut, lock fell into door, and now my AC/heat fan doesn't work). My latest problem (fan) the dealership (Middleburg Height, OH) estimates to be $300 (and I paid over $50 to have them tell me that). I haven't gotten it repaired yet because I've been waiting over 2 weeks for them to get the part. I called "mother-ship" Saturn, and while the were polite, they are unwilling to help. At this point I'm considering just getting a new car.

I'm writing this as a "heads-up" for all of you out there who are considering buying a Saturn. While they are now offering a 5yr warranty, I would not buy another Saturn if it was the last car on earth. I am profoundly disappointed with not only the reliability (lack-there-of) of my gently used Saturn, but mostly with the service and company overall. I have little to no faith in the dealership, I don't trust them (not even a little), and clearly the company has been unwilling to stand behind their product.

Save yourself the aggravation - choose a different car.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I really appreciate a (somewhat) objective post such as this. I always say that somewhere between the fanboys and the naysayers is the truth.

The timing chain reference was especially interesting. I'm not sure it's better-looking cousin Cobalt even has this.

I think if you can go six years without something electrical or something major going out on it, it's done well. My Corolla's starter lasted 8 years. It will be interesting to see how long the electric steering lasts, and how dangerous that will be if that were to ever go bad on you.

Can you say whether Ion has the old fashioned transmission in it or has it gone to the kind with the rubber bands in it ("Constant Velocity")?

Styling does hurt it, I've never cared for that extra "seam" or two around the back window, prefer smooth metal (or plastic) front to back, like they did Cobalt. But the important part is the inside: are the seat coverings thin (like Cobalts, unfortunately), or are they velour and sturdy? Do they accomodate wide hips well?

Ten years ago, before I chose my Corolla, I had been shopping for a Saturn wagon. When I read a semi-professional (blog) review calling Ion the worse car ever, I was a little sad to think that GM had ruined the Saturn sedans to that point.

I hear they're going to all-steel next model year. Maybe you'll have a collector car soon! Thanks again for the point-of-view.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Oops, maybe dweezil was the exception. Things like power locks going out and fans going out and the door post coming off are not normal. Sounds like what my old Mercury used to do! I really don't remember the S-series being that problematic! I think I'll mosey over and see what the Aura owners are running into...
  • j3891335j3891335 Member Posts: 10
    hey guys
    i just 3 wks ago got a 2006 ion from a local dealer.never dealt with saturn before.these cars any good?(kinda too late now i guess,but anyway)i purchased a 6yr warranty & was never told that warranty dates back to original factory date of car(so i lost 2 yrs from my warranty)still deciding if this was good purchase or not.car runs ok but reading all these starting problems is really scaring me.
  • sldr921chadsldr921chad Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2006 ion too for aout a year and a half and every problem that i have they fixed it with no hassle no problems with all of the cars that i had in the past this has been the best so far
    what kinda problems have u had?(if u dont mind telling me)anything major?
  • jsprout73jsprout73 Member Posts: 2
    I've read a couple of posts here, hoping to find help on what to expect if I want to sell/trade-in my 2006 Saturn Ion Sedan. There are so many posts, it will take forever to filter out what I'm looking for. It has just under 25,000 miles. It has cruise control, air conditioning, power locks/windows, auto transmission, stock radio/cd player. I was involved in an accident back in December '06. There was alot of repair done to the body(mainly the front end where the impact happened, and replacement of the driver airbag), totaling about $5,000. No, the insurance company wouldn't declare it totaled. I had everything repaired by a recommended body shop via Saturn dealership. I've gone to NADA.com, and their site gives a rough figure of $10,825 trade-in/$12,825 retail. There's nowhere on the site to take into account an accident. How much impact should I expect from the accident on resell/trade-in value? There's nothing wrong with the car. I want a truck, bad. But I want to get the most for my trade-in/resell in an honest transaction about the accident. Any advice?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    lCar insurance and accidents

Real World tradein values

I've listed two links from discussions here on Edmunds that have people who might help answer your question. I happen to be looking to pick up a third car and Ion is one of a short list I'm looking at occasionally. The accident on the record or found by the Saturn dealer who I will pay to check the car over if it's a Saturn telling me there was an accident would lower the value $3-4000 for me from what I would pay, if I bought the car at all. That's my personal opinion. I've seen lots of 07's that were rentals with 25000 kmiles and the asking price was about what you're stating. I'd be afraid to offer $11000 for the ones I've seen because the dealers would take it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 06ion06ion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ion with about 40,00 miles on it. My Power Steering or should I say Electronic Assisted Steering quit working with no notice...does anyone have a similar story or know what might have happened? It also tends to idle very unsteady when RPM's are low or AC is on.
    hey guys
    i've had my 2006 ion for 3 months know & everything ok except this weird knocking noise(only sometimes)from somwhere in the back.it knocks three times(sounds like someone knocking on your window)does it when im idling or driving.when i start the car to go it ususally does it within the first 15 min of driving & then not again till next time.very strange & cant figure this out.nothing else is going on when this is happening.anyone know what the heck this could be???
  • sadsaturnownersadsaturnowner Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 ion 2 saturn. But I only have 28,000 on my car and my warranty has run out taking all the maintance fees with it. What a rip off. Also, my car is now starting to give me all sorts of trouble and tomorrow I'll pay a shop to replace my starter with a rebuilt one and also stop the bell from ringing in the car everytime I open the door even though the lights are not on or key in the ignition.

For 22 years I drove foreign cars. Toyota 12 and Nissan 10. No troubles, just regular maintenance. If I had known I was buying a glorified Chevy I would never had bought a Saturn.
  • jetdoctor34jetdoctor34 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Ion that is in proper working order. I have just been in my 2nd accident in three weeks. While it maybe bad driving--I'm not a perfect driver--I'm suspecting some back brake problems. Both times the car felt like the back locked up sending me into a spin. Are there any others who have experienced this problem?

WM
  • awaytogoawaytogo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 saturn Ion. It is making a sound like thump thump when you push on the brakes . The other day it started and I thought I had a flat tire. I didn't. You can feel it when you push on the brakes and in the steering wheel. Have you had any promblems like this.
  • anniemorinanniemorin Member Posts: 2
    i have an ion saturn...2006....i tried setting the time on the clock...but am unable to figure it out...any suggestions
  • anniemorinanniemorin Member Posts: 2
    i figured it out....thanks......
  • 1patrick1patrick Member Posts: 4
    I have 2004 ION have the same problems. Just had the ignition switch replaced last week.The power steering came back after the car sat for an hour. I saw the service bullitons and the problem seems to be in the re-keying
  • vixxsvixxs Member Posts: 1
    This morning during my regular commute in clear, mild weather, my 2004 Ion (35K mi) started behaving strangely. When I slowed down due to traffic, it seemed to take a while to slow down fully. When releasing the brake but not yet going back to the accelerator, the car jolted forward as though I had hit the accelerator. After a while I noticed the steering wheel vibrating while I was idling. Driving and steering were fine and I didn't notice any unusual noises.

When I pulled into my parking spot and put the car in park, the RPMs were pretty high...I tapped on the accelerator and it shot up and stayed high. I turned the car off and even after killing the engine, it took a little bit for the RPMs to come down, but I started it again, ran it through all the gears and it was fine. Ideas...?
  • jeremy_switzerjeremy_switzer Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can get the cold air pipe with the mass air flow sensor port for my 07 saturn ion 2.2L? All the ones from Auto Zone are are round holes.
  • dwelldwell Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Ion blew both fuses for the power steering at the same time. I replaced the fuses and the power steering worked again but locked breifly necessitating a quick jerk to free it, when I made turns. Gradually the power steering quit. Does it need a new rack or is it something in the electronic system? I hate to replace a rack if its something different.
  • blackion2blackion2 Member Posts: 4
    I LOVE MY 2004 SATURN ION 2 HAVEN'T HAD MAJOR ISSUES SO FAR GOOD CAR. I BOUGHT IT WHEN WE HAD THAT WINTER BLIZZARD IN 2008. HAD A CARFAX HISTORY WITH IT AND WAS CLEAN AS A WISTLE ! GO TO THE DEALERSHIP TO GET THE OIL CHANGED AND NEVER HAVE A COMPLAINT!!!!! I LOVE SATURN AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THEM
  • ladyintxladyintx Member Posts: 2
    To all of you who have had your key stick in the acc position while turning it off: if you have been through the multiple trips, been towed, etc,etc tell your nearest dealer that you want the BTSI switch replaced......the automatic transmission shift lock control. I had a new ignition, new keys and still had a problem until yesterday.
    My power steering went out also last week and that got a new motor and steering module. The key sticking took 2.5 yrs of problematic visits and ultimately 5 dealerships. I'm just hoping to help anyone out there.