Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "fluid circulation problems"??

You are right about one thing. People do get what they pay for.

Overpriced? hardly...
  • soderholmdsoderholmd Member Posts: 47
    1."How is 240 Hp and 242 ft lbs torque superior in all aspects to the Honda Odyssey at 244 HP and 240 ft lbs torque? Toyota maybe"

It's the size of the mountain of torque this engine produces, more torque available in the lower part of the rpm band and the horsepower on top to deliver strong high rpm passing power.

2. Resale means little to me because I do not turn over a vehicle every 2 years. I keep them 5-7 years at least. As to the 40% thing, well thats just a little far fetched......Lets talk as a % of actual price bought for and rerun the numbers to see what we really get. I think some people are trying to justify getting ripped off by Honda and Toyota... in price ;);)

BTW just4fun2, you sound like a smart person ;)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    all this talk about melodic motors and driving excitement seems quite humorous to me. I enjoy 'spirited' driving but not when driving a minivan or SUV. If that is a requirement or key component for you, then you'll be wise to steer toward an Ody. But for many folks, they could care less if the handling is tight or floaty. They are driving a minivan, and they don't need tight handling to drive SAFELY -- and that's what they are most concerned with.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    That's not a bad buy at all. I don't know if the crash performance has improved or if it is still poor as it was a few years back. That would be my primary concern with a GM minivan-- that and long-term quality.

The Ody and Sienna lovers who bash someone who got a loaded Relay for $22k are doing potential buyers a real disservice.

Sure, the Relay isn't as good. But it is a LOT cheaper, and purchase price matters to a lot of minivan buyers.
    Thats something I checked (crash test scores) before I went out test driving vans. The new GM vans rate good in the iihs offset and 5 star in the government tests. They have NOTHING in common with crash tests from older GM minivans - which were very scary in offset tests! :surprise:

As to everything else you said....ditto! ;);)

1st tank of gas through the Relay - 24 mpg mixed driving. not bad........ :P :)
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    It seems like a favorable Saturn reveiw to me :confuse:
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    After reading the above review on the Relay, I have to say it looks like you get "more" than you pay for! Great value for your dollar, not like other minivans that are way over priced for that so called refinement.

Soderholmd, great gas mileage right out of the box! Nice not having to wait 10k miles like some vans for the MPG to improve. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with your Relay!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    2001 Odd EX much noisier than less expensive 2002 T&C LX. Odd VTEC 3.5L has same off the line acceleration as T&C 3.3L...but the Odd does have better acceleration at speeds above 45 -50 MPH. (Most noticeable at speeds above 75-80 MPH on Interstate with no cops in sight. :shades: )
    Odd seats more comfortable but Odd EX lacks many nice features of my less expensive T&C: Heating coils at base of windshield, lighted controls on doors, complete overhead console with outside temp/compass and accurate trip computer, separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger, QUALITY stereo system, QUALITY horn....just for starters.
    The Odd EX does have power sliding doors on each side and cast wheels that are not on my T&C. The Odd AT still works as well as the AT in the T&C. :blush:
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    But for $22,000 you're getting MORE than what you're paying for with a Relay.

For $31,000 I think I'd just get a Sienna.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Our 05 Odyssey has been great so far. We're looking to put 150,000 miles on it and sell it for $2000, so resale value is insignificant. But what is important is the safety ratings, reliability, and fit/finish of the van. We'll have it 7 years or so and the package has to be great since we'll be in it a long time.

Plus everybody else seems to love our van. Especially the SUVers. There is so much more room in a van. And 28 mpg on the highway with 255 horsepower is nice too.
    That looks like a great review macakava! Thanks for sharing. I have to agree with what is says. It's funny the thrashing that the import croud unjustly likes to lay on the domestics to justify the higher price they payed.........
    I'd have to argue that this Relay has the nicest looking interior in vandom. Luxurious, classy and quiet. The seat heaters are really nice in Minnesota this time of year! :blush:;)
    Once again, Resale means little to me, especially when I have 14K less depreciation and loan to worry about right up front! That combined with 7 years of ownership means I have little to worry about when it's finally time to replace this van.

I tried out the onstar safe and sound package just to see what happens. Pushed the button and when I told the onstar lady that their was no problem and I was just "trying it out" she didnt think it was too funny...............ooopppsss!! :surprise:

Good to hear your Odyssey experience has been good leadfoot6! Just goes to proove that all manufacturers are producing good vehicles. :P
    To some of us by the time we get around to trading cars, resale on anything wouldn't be too terribly much.

I'm one of them. I'm not that worried about depreciation.
    I am with you, Mon!

For about $26K for the Ody EX, the superior mechanical performance vs the competition is priceless!

In most/all cases, buying cheap is not always the best deal. That's life. "You get what you pay for" raises its ugly head somewhere along the way.
    If Soderholmd gets "zero" dollars back at the end of 5-6 years, he will still have the 12-14K in his pocket that the over priced Honda would have cost him. I doubt that in 5-6 years his Relay will be worth "zero" dollars. I guess some people feel better at resale time getting more money back for the Honda, but forget that they paid so much more to begin with. I would rather invest that 12-14K for 5-6 years and watch my money grow than getting the same 12-14K back when I sell the van. What will todays 12-14K be worth 6 years down the road. Looks like you lose at the beginning and the end buying a over priced Ody.

How much did your Ody cost you when you bought it? What was the resale when you sold it? Years owned, miles driven?
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    If you used that method of justifying everything you bought over the years you wouldn't have anything nice. I'll be you a shot of tequila the Odyssey will deliver more comfort, safety, performance, and pride of ownership over the life of the vehicle than a afterthought kind of vehicle like the Relay.

You could also only get a burger at McDonalds (instead of Fuddruckers) a steak at Western Sizzlin ( instead of Ruths Chris) shoes by Champion (instead of New balance) a college education at a community college (instead of an Ivy League school ) and so on ......using your methodology.

I got a loan for a guy a few months back who got deployed and killed in Iraq recently. He had pulled up in a 911 to apply at my office. Maybe he knew something about living.
    A lot of our "Top" elected officials in America have Ivy League educations and they seem about as dumb as a rock. Just because something costs more, i.e. Fuddrickers doesn't mean that it has value for what it will cost. By your example I guess that a Rolls Royce is better than an Honda anything simply it has to be better because of the increased cost.

As with anything there comes a point where the cost will out pace the value given. Comparing a 22K Relay, sorry, 21.5K Relay, I believe that he got a 500.00 dollar card from Target to the Ody that cost 12-14K more is a shining example of lost cost value.
    YES...to most of us, the Edmunds review of the Saturn Relay is very favorable. ;)
    How much did your Ody cost you when you bought it? What was the resale when you sold it? Years owned, miles driven?

My 2002 Odyssey EX (cloth) cost approximately $28,000 after taxes but before financing at 6% for 36 months. I paid it off early 12 months later.

Resale Value: If I were to dump the van right now, I could get around $9600 trade in and $12,000 private party, per KBB. (theoretical values; I haven't tried listing my van yet as I don't have plans for a new one yet)

Years Owned: 4 years as of today. (I bought it 12/26/01)

Miles Driven: approximately 84,000. (21,000 miles per year)

Need any other information? :)
    THANKS. ;)
    There is really NO good reason for you to sell it yet and buy a new one. The 02 Ody EX has the 5 speed AT that performed very well in the 02 Ody EX-L-NAV that I test drove in the fall of 2001. I like the 7 spoke cast wheels more than the previous 5 spoke and the current cast wheels of the 2005-06 Ody and I think the 2002-2004 Odyssey is one of the most attractive minivans built.
    First off I want to say...Happy Birthday to your Ody! Are you planning to keep it past 100k miles? Wasn't the 2002 year one of the model years that Honda recalled for poor transmission fluid flow and inspected some gear in the transmission for failure? If, so, how did your gear look, did you follow Honda recommended service for the transmission or have you changed the fluid more often?

The only other information we need to know is how much you get for the Ody when you sell it. Without that informaion we only have half the picture. Thanks!
  • 4wheels14wheels1 Member Posts: 23
    No need to bash everything. The market price of minivan #1 is the market price of minivan #2, adjusted for the perception of the market place. Hondas and Toyotas sell for more than GM minivans because the market allows it. Why? Because many people think they are worth more, but not all people agree.

I've driven the new GM minivans, they're not bad, but let's face it. They are the old Opel-inspired narrow box with a new long front end that was glued on to improve crash scores. Some people won't care, others may even like it. If they don't mind it why pay the premium for a Honda or Toyota? But they are certainly not in the same league technically.
    Ummm... I don't know how long I'll keep it. Perhaps until it breaks, or maybe until I have some cash sitting around or when I pay off the Infiniti. (2 years and 2 months left)

They did recall my Odyssey, but the dealer checked it (different dealer than the one I use now) and it turned out fine. They inspected second gear I believe.

I just followed Honda's service guide.

Any previous Odyssey owners here willing to provide the whole story? (not just half) :)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I really enjoy our 04' Mazda MPV that we have had for over 12,000 troublefree(knock on wood) miles. Though we don't use the fold flat rear seat that often...it sure came in handy in hauling a vast bounty of Christmas booty back home from grandmothers house. The Japanese made quality and performance meets or exceeds those of it's competitiors(in my opinion). The Ford Duratec engine isn't the epitome of refinement...but it is a very good and reliable one. It handles very well and the brakes are excellent. It also is one of the most attractive minivans on the market(with the sport package)...both in the interior and exterior. Perfect for a family of 4. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    The MPV is another one of those minivans that have slipped through the cracks. If you dont have a need for the extra space, then it's definately worth a look!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    "No $10K rebate can replace its superior mechanical/driving performance for me. "

Hey, we're talking about a MINIVAN, not a sportscar. But to each his own. If you plan on taking your wife and kids around twisty roads a little fast in your Odyssey, I'm sure they'll love all that bouncing around that's going on behind you ;) It's almost better to have worse handling because that will prevent people from driving a minivan full of kids like they were in a sports car.
    "you can look up any minivan comparo on any testing sources like C & D, R & T, etc and you would see the domestics at the bottom of the pile for performance. Ford and GM minivans fight for last place. "

True, but you need to look a little deeper and see the real differences they came in last place. Usually it's for engine power & handling because that's what the car magazines are interested in writing about. They use the same test criteria on sports cars as they do on minivans. But I'd say that most people driving a minivan full of kids to a soccer game or down the highway aren't all that concerned with 0-60 times or G forces
    "Hey, we're talking about a MINIVAN, not a sportscar. But to each his own"

It depends on your driving style. Our family vehicles cover a broad range from minivan to sedans, luxury sport sedans, convertibles, and trucks. And in all categories, we choose the better performing ones that are fun to drive while performing their respective tasks. These vehicles include the Ody, CTS-V, Maxima, Ridgeline, SL500, & BMW 550i.

Oh I forgot to mention our now trusty well maintained 10 yr old Continental with the 32V DOHC V8, that continues to surprise many other drivers on the road with its quick moves.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    When buying my 2005 Dodge G.C., I debated if I should buy the extended warranty. I mean I have a three year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 7/70,000 power train warranty. Should I get yet another at a cost of around $1,300.00, almost twice what an extended warranty cost on my old Dodge Dakota back in 2001? Well at first I said no, it was to expensive and I shouldn't need it. I didn't need it on the Dakota. But then I read where Chrysler's roadside service doesn't cover you if you get a flat, run out of gas, lock yourself out, etc. It only covers you if a part that is covered under their warranty breaks down. So I called AAA and asked what they charge for road side service for my wife and I. They quoted me a price of $145.00 a year which includes a tow for up to 100 miles. I got out my pin and paper and saw at that price for seven years, I would have to pay $1,015.00 just for roadside service. If I were to have the compressor on my A/C go out in the fourth or fifth year, that alone could cost $1,000.00 or more. Although I didn't want to get it, that 7/70,000 extended warranty seem pretty reasonable to me now. Especially with all the power equipment on the G.C. I seems everything is powered. Even if I never need it, it's only $285.00 more than what I would have to pay AAA for seven years of just road side service.(If they don't raise their rates again that is) This way I have the roadside service and have everything covered on my van for 7/70,000 except wear items for a mear $285.00 more. Not a bad deal after all. Of course Our Honda Civic is covered for roadside service. Check your warranty out on the van you are buying and see if they offer roadside service for flats, out of gas, etc. It might pay you to also get the extended service contract even if you never have a break down.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    There is a post on the Kia Sedona board by someone in So Cal who test drove a new 2006 Sedona.
    True about the driving style. But if the only difference is a little better handling, then it's a matter of deciding if a little better handling is worth the price difference. If the few or several thousand dollar difference doesn't matter, then go for what you like. I'm guessing that since you own an "Ody, CTS-V, Maxima, Ridgeline, SL500, & BMW 550i," then money isn't really an issue!
    " I called AAA and asked what they charge for road side service for my wife and I. They quoted me a price of $145.00"

Seems expensive to me. I can change my own flat (and my wife can call me if she gets one) and I don't think I'll run out of gas with all of the warning lights that come on starting at 1/4 tank. And I've only needed a tow maybe once every 5-10 years, so I'll just pay for that if it comes up. So to me, the justification of buying the extended warranty based on the cost of roadside assistance doesn't work for me.
    Seems expensive to me. I can change my own flat and I don't think I'll run out of gas with all of the warning lights that come on starting at 1/4 tank. And I've only needed a two maybe once every 5-10 years, so I'll just pay for that if it comes up. So to me, the justification of buying the extended warranty based on the cost of roadside assistance doesn't work for me.

It is expensive, that is the reason I bought the extended warranty and not AAA. There is only a couple of hundred dollars difference between the AAA and the extended warranty and with the extended warranty you also get road side service. Plus, if your A/C, window, doors, seat motors, go out that is not covered by the drive train warranty, you are covered by the extended warranty. Call up a dealer and ask what it would cost to replace any of those motors or A/C compressor and you'll see buying the extended warranty is a good deal, especially when your covered both ways. You'll have at least seven years of no worries if anything breaks. And if you look at all the power equipment on these new vans, there is plenty of stuff that can go out and cost a bundle to fix.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You also wouldn't be paying for the AAA upfront like you are the ext. warranty. You're basically giving them free money for at least the length of the OEM factory warranty. I hate ext. warranties, there's a reason they sell them. They make money! Odds are, you lose!

I think Marine2's point was, AAA is too expensive by itself! I haven't been a member for many years, and not sure why I was a member. With the technology available, calling your own tow truck isn't a big deal. And I can count the number of times I've needed a tow truck on zero fingers. At least in the last 5-6 years. Vehicles are ridiculously reliable these days, and flats aren't even common like they were back in the day.
    Your still looking at it wrong. After 3/36,000 miles, none of the things I mentioned is covered anymore. I know for a fact if an A/C/ compressor goes out, it will cost you over a thousand dollars to fix it. It costs over seven hundred dollars to fix a seat motor. Honda and Chrysler has at least five motors for their windows and liftgate alone. Not counting the motors for the sliding doors. Then you have a starter, alternator, etc. that is also covered. Your counting on none of these things to break in seven years? They don't make them that good. Now if you were talking of a fairly stripped down van or car, I may agree with you. But most of these high priced cars, SUV's and vans have plenty of electrical stuff on them and they go out all the time. Look and see what is now ratedd the most trouble prone SUV on the market. Also one of the most trouble prone cars. It will shock you.
    Statistically, no they're not going to break during the warranty period. They sell these warranties to make money and odds are, they'll pay out less than they take in. The fact that these vehicles have more complicated parts is simply reflected in the higher up-front warranty cost. That's why a 4x4, a heavy-duty truck, or highly optioned vehicle has a more expensive warranty than a cheapo base model.

I've owned a lot of vehicles and put a lot of miles on them and this stuff doesn't break regularly. At least not at low enough miles to be covered by these extended warranties. Out of all the vehicles I've owned, my repair cost between the factory warranty and 100k miles is very low.

Of course there's always a chance you might be unlucky and can use the statistics to your advantage. I tend to be lucky with cars.
    I agree with Sebring95. The way I look at extended warranties is that you're betting that you'll have a major repair between 36-100K miles. Once you hit 100K miles, the extended warranty is gone. You're paying $1300 to cover the period between 36-100K miles. I don't know what the $1300 covers, but you really have to read the fine print to see what it covers and what it doesn't, as well as the deductables and how they're calculated (per visit, per problem, etc).

But even if it covered absolutely everything, my experience with my previous cars ('99 Cougar that I currently own and a '91 Escort) is that I've had $500 in repairs on one car and about $100 on the other before 100K miles. I had to spend about a thousand in my Escort post 100K miles, and about $2K in my Cougar post 100K miles for A/C & alternator issues.

My point is that if I would spend a thousand or two on every new car for an extended warranty, I'd be down probably $3000 by now. And my current Freestyle if I got an extended warranty for $2K, that means that I would have spent $5000 on extended warranties over the past 14 years with about $600 in benefits, not including deductables.

So even if in my Freestyle (no extended warranty), if at 85,000 miles the transmission goes out and I need to put in a few thousand dollars I'm still ahead, and based on my experience I'm not expecting any major problems before 100,000 miles. I do drive about 20-25K miles per year, and maybe I've been lucky with the lack of repairs in the pre-100,000 miles range.

The fact is that most people don't use as much money from the extended warranties than they put into it. Otherwise the extended warranty companies would go out of business. The difference is that I'm betting on the quality of my car based on my experience and you're betting on the lack of quality based on your experience.
    I agree with Sebring95. The way I look at extended warranties is that you're betting that you'll have a major repair between 36-100K miles. Once you hit 100K miles, the extended warranty is gone. You're paying $1300 to cover the period between 36-100K miles. I don't know what the $1300 covers, but you really have to read the fine print to see what it covers and what it doesn't, as well as the deductables and how they're calculated (per visit, per problem, etc).

The $1,300 covers everything that your 3/36,000 covers on the the regular warranty, plus road side service all up to 7/70,000. You can get it longer. You guys might be lucky and I hope you don't need it. But these vans have a heck of a lot more to them than any car I have ever owned. I have seen plenty of cars out here in Arizona without A/C and I know some are only 4-5 years old. With these new ones now with automatic lift gates and sliding doors, to go along with power seats, windows and door locks, there is just to much more to go wrong than with the older vans. I would rather have the peace of mind that if something breaks, it's covered and if I get a flat, someone else can crawl under my van and get the spare out and change it. I guess if one can spend $23-39,000 for a minivan, $1,300.00 isn't that much more for peace of mind.
    Peace of mind and being financially hurt by paying for a major repair are really the only reasons to consider an extended warranty. If it makes you sleep better at night, go for it. I hate insurance, which is what a ext. warranty is. I buy extremely high deductible on most everything I HAVE to. If somewhere between 36/50k miles (typical factory warranties) and 70k/100k miles (typical ext. warranty limits) I need a $1300 repair it won't hurt me. And I'd much rather take the gamble that I won't need it. Like I said, statistically the insurance companies have the upper hand.

FWIW, I was offered the 100k mile Honda care warranty for somewhere around $900. I know it was less than $1,000. Not bad as far as warranties go. They wanted $2,700 for the extended warranty on my '03 Ram 3500 and it came with a factory 7/70 powertrain and a 100k engine warranty from Cummins. I'm at 90k miles and used the 7/70 for a u-joint ($500 labor and everything) and that's the only problem.

I think most folks buying minivans are somewhat thrifty, which is I'm sure why the Honda and Toyota do not sell in record numbers. A warranty really isn't all that thrifty IMHO, it's more of a gamble you're statistically guaranteed to lose.
    ALL the money is refunded at the end of 7 years 75,000 miles IF the vehicle had NO repairs by the end of either 7 years or 75,000 miles. ;)
    How much money will a person lose in interest on the amount the warranty cost for 7 years?
    That is why my friend got the Toyota Extended Warranty for his 2006 Sienna LE...and I have read the fine print where it states the refund policy in plain English. ;)
    "NO repairs" after 7 years seems unlikely to me, so that's probably why they advertise that way. But if you have a $50 repair, do you get a refund less the $50? Or lose the whole initial cost of the warranty?
    Any deductable on your $1300 warranty?

"$1,300.00 isn't that much more for peace of mind."
    And on this, people will haggle for a few hundred dollars on the price of the car, and then lose thousands on the trade-in, extended warranty, etc...which is where dealers really make their money.
    Unless a person had a very small repair billed to the Extended Warranty. ;)
    The Toyota "Platinum" ZERO deductible 7 year 75,000 mile warranty cost my friend considerably more than the DaimlerChrysler "Added Care" $100 deductible 7 year 75,000 mile warranty the original owner of the 02 T&C purchased. However, Toyota will refund the money at the expiration if not used while DaimlerChrysler will not. :cry:
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I hate insurance, which is what a ext. warranty is. I buy extremely high deductible on most everything I HAVE to.

Right on. The reason you buy a Honda or Toyota is for their propensity to be trouble free. Life itself is a risk. You can insure all kinds of events. But you gotta draw the line somewhere. I'm betting that the Honda will go the distance without major out of warranty problems, like the other 2 Hondas I've owned. Take the money you would have put into the warranty and invest it and if you have a repair required, use that money. Otherwise you still have the cash.

Also AAA comes with so many other benefits that make it worth it's cost. It costs me $64 a year for two covered drivers.
    Or don't they have the confidence in the Odyssey that Toyota has with the Sienna? :blush:
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Here is to you another Toyota loyal fun just in case you are not convinced to stay away from HONDAs... I did trade in my piece ooooh junk 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES after a constant fight with HOA of many issues and yes I did finally gave up, and I am so delighted that I got the superior quality 2006 TOYOTA Sienna Limited fully loaded and I do not regret a bit of the money I had to pay, which as a matter of fact I was surpised that they gave me decent trade in money for the HONDA (just kidding)... never ever ever... .. . EVER again HONDA staying faaaaar away from it for ever and ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the GOOD work TOYOTA!
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Or don't they have the confidence in the Odyssey that Toyota has with the Sienna?

Huh?? What toyota dosen't sell extended warrenties?? Another loaded statement to try and get the response you got!! I don't have complete confidence in anything(nothings perfect), but insurance is hard to buy on any product! So i prefer to take my chances! If you have less than 6K I believe you can buy a 120K/8yr 0 deductable for less than 1300.00 for the Ody.
  • socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    Here is to you another Toyota loyal fun just in case you are not convinced to stay away from HONDAs... I did trade in my piece ooooh junk 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES after a constant fight with HOA of many issues and yes I did finally gave up, and I am so delighted that I got the superior quality 2006 TOYOTA Sienna Limited fully loaded and I do not regret a bit of the money I had to pay, which as a matter of fact I was surpised that they gave me decent trade in money for the HONDA (just kidding)... never ever ever... .. . EVER again HONDA staying faaaaar away from it for ever and ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess you got what you wanted GOOD FOR YOU!!
    Do you have a www link to this Toyota "Platinum" ZERO deductible 7 year 75,000 mile warranty cost with refund?