Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• hondahonda Member Posts: 1
    In Re: to Message 951

My 99 Odyssey has always lost coolant from day one and it now has 30K on it. When we picked it up the coolant was a little low so when I did the first oil change at about 5K I had to go and buy some Honda coolant and add some. About every other oil change 6K the level is about 2" low in recover tank. Want to pressure test but my tester only fits older large neck radiators. I know with 20psi on a hot system the gauge would have to start dropping. While for now I will check the base of EGR valve. Hope these Eng. are not know for Head gasket problems?..
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I would get it on the record since you are still in warranty. Complain everytime you take it in that it is still losing coolant. At least if something happens after the warranty is up which is when it will you are on record and should get a free repair.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    nedlyi
    Your welcome hope all works out for you.Good luck

yewlock
    These service bulletins are for known problems with cetain vehicles but do not mean all will be bad. So if you aren't experiancing a problem then you most likely don't need anything.The bulletin is for a noisy ac rattle that gets pretty loud..
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    I thought folks might find this interesting... Although this states it is for model year 2000, I would suspect that the sub-frame design has not changed since the Ody redesign in 1999.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/drift.pdf

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Had a vw vanagon that mysteriously lost coolant for thousands of miles. They eventually replace the heads for me at about 48K, 24K out of warranty. As you surmised loosing coolant is a bad sign. So do as suggested get it on record.
    good luck
    rockycow
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    My 99EX turned 100K this week, and I've had no problems of any kind with it so far. Perhaps I got a lemon. *:o))
    Gee thats to bad. Maybe next time you could by a DC Van, then you won't be disapointed. Most likely on a first name basic with them. :-)
  • dan321dan321 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 Odd and never experienced the shimmy/vibration problem until I hit a major pot hole and blew a tire. I had two new Michellins put on the front by a discount chain. There was no problem until I got up to 75 then there was an annoying shimmy. I took it back to the discount chain store to re balance the tires and it got worse. I then took it to a local tire store that I have had mechanical work performed for many years with no complaints. I thought maybe I had sustained front end damage when I blew the tire. Their diagnosis was out of balance tires. The mechanic mentioned that Hondas are notoriously unforgiving when it comes to out of balance tires. They re balanced all tires and the van is fine again. This may not help those of you who have this problem, but this is the same tire store that was able to correctly align a Voyager I had years ago. The Plymouth dealer never did get it right. Thus, some of you may want to go to an independent mechanic who has a good repution in the balancing/allignment areas. If it works, you can take the receipt back to your dealer and tell them how incompetent their mechanics are.
  • macodymacody Member Posts: 18
    we have a 99 EX with 52000 miles (will be 2 years old on July 31); no problems here either. Had a finicky door in the first week of ownership; dealership adjusted and haven't had a problem since.

mschafer: let me know re the timing belt; would like a "ball park" figure to save for!

great van

macody
    I haven't checked in Atlanta yet, but auburn63 tells me that his dealer (in NJ, I think) gets $500-600 for the job. I looked at the shop manual, and it's relatively major surgery.
  • stoltziestoltzie Member Posts: 15
    As I just passed the 10,000 mile mark on our 2001 Ody EX, I have a few questions regarding gas mileage and an odd noise during startup. This is our second Ody, we traded a '99 LX for it last fall.

Mileage:

Our '99 was fairly consistant, delivering mileage 18 to 24 in mixed suburban driving to 29 mpg on straight highway. The 2001 gets as low as 14 to 21 in mixed suburban driving. I had it on the highway today for 127 miles and topped it off, getting about 32 mpg for the trip. This can't be right and I should check to see if I really filled the tank. The gauge is pegged at full though.

I'm trying to decide why the mileage isn't as consistent as with the '99. My one thought is the AC is constantly on since the climate control is set to full auto all the time, causing the lower "city" numbers. Also, I seem to nurse higher mileage numbers from it but then I use it on more highway trips while my spouse is "garage saleing" on local streets.

Noise:

Last week, after starting the van, a loud gear grinding noise came from the right front of the van. This happened about two times. The only consistent thing about each time was the van was sitting in outside in 85plus degree heat and seem to coincide with the AC kicking in. I drove the van about 350 miles this weekend in 90 degree heat and did not hear the noise. The AC worked normally. I made an appointment with the dealer but if I can't recreate it, I'm not sure what they can do. Is this related to the idler pully or a compressor on its way out?

Otherwise, the van runs well and we've had no problems with the power doors, pulling to the right or transmission thunks. And more often than not, people will stop us to look at the magic seat and ask questions about the van.
  • tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    I have an '00 lx (no climate control) and experience mpg right around your '01 for local driving over 2 years. This appears to be consistent with what most others who have commented have experienced. I think maybe you got lucky on the '99.
  • cincy_ody_mikecincy_ody_mike Member Posts: 28
    Your 32 MPG is probably the result of a short highway trip. 127 miles probably uses 5-6 gallons and you may have only gotten 4 gallons in the tank if you parked on an slanted surface. Try this to get a better indication of your true mileage:
    1. Fill your tank. Do not "top off" after the pump stops.
    2. Reset the trip odometer.
    3. Drive it until you get the "low fuel" light on your dash. This should be at least 300 miles on the highway.
    4. Stop at the nearest station and refill the tank again. Do not over fill.

This will give you better indication of your true highway mileage, plus you will know how much is left in your tank when the low fuel light comes on. Just subtract the number of gallons you pumped at the end of your trip from 20 (the tank capacity).

Hope this helps. As for me, I've had my '01 EX for 2 1/2 months and have taken a few long trips (6200 miles). I saw 14-15 MPG city and 20-22 MPG highway in the first 2000 miles. I now get about 15-16 city and 22-24 highway (I have a bit of a lead foot), and would expect another 1-2 MPG improvement over the next 10,000 miles.

As for the sound, my wife and I heard it for the first time yesterday. The same situation you described. You didn't say, but we also had the rear A/C on, and I wonder if the sound might be from the rear A/C compressor. Maybe some of our more technically savvy subscribers can comment on this.
    I stopped at one of the Atlanta dealers yesterday to get a price for the Timing Belt replacement. I was quoted $695 for the Timing Belt Replacement "Package". That supposedly includes the serpentine and power steering belts. He would not elaborate further.

I don't like "Packages" (Read PACK the price up), so I guess I'll check out some others. DUTCH
  • demmingdemming Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our Odyssey DX about eight months ago and for the most part enjoy it. We have some concerns about the vehicle and I would like to know if anyone has heard of these problems before.

1) If we stop at a light on a step incline and take our foot off the brake, the van will roll backwards. Our dealer tells us this is normal (for all cars) but I can't recall any of our other vehicles ever doing this.

2) Our gas gauge reads empty and the light comes on with 6-7 gallons left in the tank. Is this typical?

Of course both our doors stick.

Thanks for your help.
  • johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    Anybody out there do the scheduled 30K mile service? I have not looked through the maintenance book yet to see what is included. I am just looking for advice if this service is really required.
    Thanks in advance.
    If that ends up being the normal in your area then hit them up for atleast a 10% discount then that wouldn't be all that bad. Also the pack probably includes a water pump also. We sell the timing belts with a water pump and external belts at 105,000..
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    Does the ody 105K package also include cam and crank seals?
  • nedlyjnedlyj Member Posts: 89
    demming:

1. No, the Odyssey's transmission will not hold the van on a steep hill - or any hill for that matter. It really has to do with torque in first gear at idle RPM. Remember, this van is well over 4000 pounds, so the tranny will not completely hold the car when the majority of that weight is pulling against it.

2. Yes/No. The most common point is with about 5-6 gallons remaining. If you have 7 or more gallons remaining, you may want to have that looked at.

johnnyrf:

I just had my 30K service done. It costs about $350. Is it necessary? Yes and No. The van was running fine, so from the standpoint of was anything urgently required, then the answer is No. However, I've always made it a point to get the scheduled maintenance at the dealer for the duration of the warranty period. That way I always have solid ground to stand on if anything goes wrong. In some cases a warranty claim for certain components can be disputed if you can't prove that you've performed routine maintenance on the car.
  • masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    I had the sticky doors also. The dealership performed a "Slip-tape" fix that basically is some kind of heavy duty tape that is placed over the seals that are causing the problems. They re-greased everything and after well over a year there hasn't been one problem.

My gas light goes on with 4 gallons left. Varies form vehicle to vehicle. The flat design of the gas tank that makes room for the fold down third seat has been speculated as the reason behind inconsistant readings.

Everybodys Ody rolls backwards on inclines, just have to get used to it.

Welcome aboard, these things are minor in scope, your doors will be fixed eventually. Its a great machine, wise choice.
  • djlootdjloot Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced this? anytime I go
    either up a steep hill or down a steep hill, the
    Fuel Emmissions light comes on.
    Honda dealer keeps on telling me this is "normal",
    and it will fix itself.
    They first suggested it was due to me not clicking "at least 3 times" the gas cap everytime I fueled. Of course, I do this and I still see this light..
  • gtomangtoman Member Posts: 2
    One of the confoundingly constant problems we've had with our '00 EX w/20k mi. has been the whole gas pedal linkage. First of all, it's been impossibly stiff, requiring a good push of the toe/foot to depress it. Sometimes you try to just touch it in in-town traffic (especially on a hill) and you get no gas or you overcompensate and give it too much and lurch forward. After at least 4 requests to repair and/or check on Tech bulletins, the dealer has not corrected it (a new throttle body did not do it). There is also a problem with very little travel space for the pedal...you hit the floor after only a couple inches resulting in an unnerving situation when you're trying to enter highway traffic. You must leave the pedal on the floor until the van gets up to highway speed.
    Has anyone experienced this...and, most important does anyone know of a fix????
    Thanks
  • slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    DJLoot. Do you really live in Colombia? How much does an Ody cost in dollars over there?
    Thanks for the info re timing belt replacement cost. Hubby figured $500 plus, so that's close. Still enjoying the van; getting ready for another soccer trip; great for hauling kids/gear.

mac
  • shellymeister1shellymeister1 Member Posts: 52
    I have one of the 1st 99 Ody's off the line-took delivery in late oct 98. I have had an unusual number of defects, considering it is a Honda Product.(By the way, all my previous Chrysler Minivans have been virtually trouble free!)
    1) Defective Winshield Moulding (required replacement of windshield 3 TIMES!)
    2) Leaking Rear Shock Absorber
    3) Numerous recalls include:
    Gas recirculation Valve
    Front Brake Pads
    Sliding Door Mechanism
    4) Sliding Door repairs
    5) Rear AC Control defective
    6) Door Lock Repair on passenger sliding Door
    7) Out of Round front alloy wheel
    8) CHRMSTL rear light burned out after 14 months
    9) Shimmy at 75mph +

In addition, these complaints:
    Horrible Original equipment tires (Firestone Affinity)
    Truly Inferior Stereo System
    Paint Finish on par with Hyundai
    Sheet Metal aluminum Foil thin
    Mushy Brake Pedal Feel
    No Compass or outside temperature display

I currently have about 33,000 mileson my Ody and it definitely needs new front brake pads. despite all the above, I would consider getting another, because I enjoy the way the vehicle drives and handles.....when it's not in the shop!
  • larcklarck Member Posts: 22
    Just checked Alldata.com and sure enough, Honda. Truck was pulled off the list for 1999 through 2001. If you go to www.familycar.com ,which is a really neat site, it has a hot link to alldata.com

I was just wondering why Honda. pulled the tab's off. I have a 2000 Odd. I have had some problems with it but they have all been minor.
  • larcklarck Member Posts: 22
    Oops. I meant why Honda pulled the technical service bulletins off Alldata, not tab's. (Dang that spell check)
    No if they do not look like they are leaking they get left alone. I have found that as long as they are not getting hard it is best to leave them alone.
    I'm not saying that you may have had some problems but it looks more like something a DC person would make up. Sounds like the Windshield was reinstalled wrong by the dealer. No compass or outside temp. Now how can you blame Honda for that being a defective vehicle? After all did it fall off or did you know that it was missing when you bought the van. Did you complain? Did they finally put it on for you? My Odyssey has a built in compass. It's called the Navagator and it also has a built in trip computer. Also according to your profile you drive an Acura. Where is the Odyssey listed?
  • tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    Took my first serious drive with the new (actually "remanufactured with updates" according to the service manager - still trying to find out what those 'updates' were) transmission - so far, so good. Actually seems to have a stronger response on the low end (faster from a dead stop, less tendency to roll in the other direction) than the original transmission when it was working well (first 19 months of ownership). Will have to monitor to see if this has a detrimental effect on gas mileage.
    No, I am not a spokesman for I/C. Yes, I have had all the problems listed, and unfortunately I have paper documentation for every one! Yes, the windshield was installed incorrectly by the dealer, BUT the repair was required due to shoddy work at the Honda plant! Just because you, Matt, would like to believe in the Myth that Honda can do no wrong, sorry to burst your balloon-like dream. Honda did not spend enough development time on the 99 Odd, and released it before all the kinks were worked out. At least 5 recalls so far will attest to that. Funny how numerous recalls on Japanese owned company's products rarely make the news, while every defect on any American vehicle makes the front page or the Evening News? There are sites you can look at to check if I am telling you the truth about the recalls.
    In addition,I own a number of vehicles. Just because I don't list all of them in my profile, doesn't mean I don't own them. Also, why would I own another Honda product (Aura) if I am a I/I advocate?
    My complaint about the compass and outside temperature unit, is one of lack of availability in the Honda. No, I choose not to have to spend $2000 extra to get that feature in an Odd!
    By the way Matt, Navigator is spelled this way...........
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    First of all, sorry to hear that you were having so many problems with your Odyssey. EVERYONE makes lemons, that is common fact. BUT, unlike domestics, the Japanese companies actually do something about it rather than deny that there is a problem. As for DC vans, my neighbor's 98 Grand Caravan is about to have her tranny replaced (out of warranty of course), a co-workers' '92 Voyager was on it's 3rd transmission before he sold it off. I would love to believe that American car companies are improving their quality and in most cases, they are, but there are exceptions.
    Did you realize your risk in buying the '99 Odyssey at the time? NEVER, ever, buy a first year model regardless of whether it is import or domestic. They always have problems. However, I am confident that Honda is on the stick about this, unlike DC. Heck, they had a 10 year head start and still can't get it right! Of course this probably is no consolation to you. So, are you going to stop buying Honda's? just curious.
    Regarding the compass and temp display, did you consider aftermarket? Several Ody owners have installed the Donnelly (sp?) mirror for about $200 and are satisfied with it. E-mail me and I'll give you the website to the owner's club (not Edmunds'). Good luck.
    Thank you for the spelling lesson. Let me return the favor. Should I/I mean DC, and I/I I have no idea what it means, and Aura I believe is spelled Acura, or maybe like me you flew over the keyboard and didn't use the spell check to fix your typing. As far as the Evening News goes, they like Consumers Report think the sun rises and falls over foreign junk. But at least I didn't butcher your name.
    Matt or is it dmathews/at least don't call me late for dinner.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    LOL. BTW when is dinner, David?
    Not to make light of the situation, but DTKWOK is right - if you want a car that's going to be perfect, NEVER buy a first year model. I did ('99 EX) but I also got the 100K extended warranty to go with it for just that reason. I've had many first year cars (Toyota and Mazda) and they all had their little problems. I had my transmission blow in a Celica in 6 months - but that's what a warranty is for. As for the problems listed, the windshield molding is inexcusable, but everything else seems pretty tame. I mean, are you actually really disturbed that you had a light burn out after 14 months? And so there have been recalls - they've all been pretty minor things. The reason you hear about recalls for domestic cars is because they don't issue recalls for minor things - they wait till many people are dead. As for the "additional" complaints, every single one of those should have been evident from your test-drive and review of the van BEFORE you bought it. And we're all whining about those same things, but they are "features" of the Odyssey, not quality problems.

P.S. 28K-35K miles for brake pads on a 4500 pound car/truck is pretty normal. I had mine replaced at 28K.

P.S.S. How did you find out that Matt is Dave's long lost evil twin?...
    All you guys are correct in saying that most of the problems I have experienced have been minor, and the Ody has never left me stranded- yet. However, each one of these problems had to be attended to, meaning, lots of time and energy had to be expended by me to deal with these issues. I don't know about you guys, but my time is worth money, and constantly visiting service departments is annoying. You expect that a company like Honda is going to design & test a product more thoroughly in order to avoid inconveniencing the customer over small pain in the neck issues. I have owned quite a few D/C Minivans going all the way back to 1983. I reviewed them last night, and here is the sum total of all the things that went wrong on a total of over 10 that I have owned: Master Cylinder, Fuel Injector Dirt Clog (due to my use of non-detergent fuel), Transmission adjustment, and a Radio failure. That's it. 10 Vehicles, and all I did was put gas & oil. I can't believe I was the only D/C Minivan owner to be this lucky.
    Regarding the other feature or lack thereof, on the Ody: If Honda wants to compete head to head with D/C, then they should try to match feature for feature. Quality levels on the paint & the sheet metal is superior on the D/C vans. Panel fit & finish on the Ody. is superior. Any stereo on the D/C vans is far superior to the EX stereo on the Ody. Brake Pedal Feel? D/C superior. Ride Quality? D/C superior. Interior Noise Level? D/C superior. Handling? Ody superior.
    Rear seat configuration? Ody superior. Overall Fit & Finish? Ody superior by a hair.Original Equipment tires? D/C superior. Remote Key Fob operation? D/C superior.
    Lastly re: recalls: Not all the Ody recalls were minor. Some of them could pose a fire danger, or risk to my kids, such as falling out the vehicle thru the sliding doors............
    Again, all of these issues would probably still not prevent me from considering another, especially since newer Ody owners seem to have less problems.
  • mikehaneymikehaney Member Posts: 14
    So, you bought an Odyssey in '98, and before that you had 10 DC vans from '83 to I guess '98. Ten vehicles in 15 years? So, you kept each one an average of 1.5 yrs? Hardly enough time to really judge the reliability of a vehicle, don't you think?
    I hope the kids wear their seatbelts... I wouldn't think they'd be at great danger of falling out then. And the fire hazard was a theorhetical hazard, determined by Honda in testing. No fire was ever documented by an actual owner that I know of. Obviously safety is a major concern - but unless you actually had a problem with the recall issues I'd consider it pro-active on Honda's part to fix it even though you didn't have the problem(s).

One additional note about time and energy in fixing these problems. Check with your dealer to see if they provide loaner cars. My dealer has a set of loaners that if I ask when I make the appointment, I simply drop off the Odyssey and use the loaner until I pick the Ody up that afternoon. The only catch is that if it's not for a warranty issue I would have to pay a $19 rental fee. But so far mine have all been free.
  • rogerberkowitzrogerberkowitz Member Posts: 31
    Yeah, I had a first model year Ford Tempo (1984). Of course they never DID get it right up until the line was discontinued. You'd think I would have learned my lesson, but I bought a 99 Ody anyway. So far so good, and pushing 30K miles. It was one of the last 99's sold before the 00's came out, so maybe I got a mislabeled 2000.
  • johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    I too have a 99 creeping up on 30K miles and knock on wood, have had no problems with the vehicle other than some temperamental doors early on that seem to have fixed themselves. I am planning on extending the warranty to 5 yr. 60K miles. Anybody know what the cost will be???
    We have a 99 EX (as most of you know); we have high mileage cars (though not as high as mschafer); 52,500 miles today (van will be 2 years old on July 31) . . . . . anyway

Mild door stick problem first week of ownership; fixed @ dealer; no other problems since. Van runs great, stereo is "bearable"; replaced firestone tires with Michelins in December. Have done all our own scheduled maintenance; van runs great and has met all our expectations.

Previously had a 95 Windstar (don't EVEN get me started) and 90 Caravan (also don't get me started). Nice to have a van that I don't have to pray over each morning :).

mac
    In response to the Haney Man, yes I had more than 10 D/C vans in 15 years, and NO I did not own them 1.5 yrs each. Did it ever occur to you that we could have two in the family, one for me & one for my wife? The fact is that we did have 2 D/C vans for 13 of the 15 years. Most of them we drove for an average of about 40,000 miles apiece before selling them. I think that gave me a fair idea about reliability. Someone accused me yesterday of being a rep for D/C, today I wonder whether you guys get a kickback from Honda.
    Honda is a COMPANY that makes products...they are far from perfect. I am amazed at the remarkable ability by some of you readers to run to the defense of Honda, even when they make errors!
    To the respondent who said my kids should be buckled in, so they don't fall out when the defective power sliding doors open without warning. Did you have the same response when 20/20 did a scathing report on Chrysler, regarding the rear hatchback that would break open when rear-ended and some children were ejected? After all, if they had been belted in, they would be alive today. Let's see 20/20 or 60 minutes do a story on the power door problems on the Odd that WILL inevitably lead to a disaster. How about right this minute, I can't open the sliding door on the drivers side, manually or otherwise. What would happen if G-D forbid, I was in an accident this weekend, and I had to get my kids out, and the other doors are jammed..........
    Yea, keep defending Japanese companies, as though they do no wrong. Yep, it's only those greedy American car manufacturers who do everything wrong........NOT!
    Ahh... now we see where this thread is going...

No one here is defending Japanese companies, and for goodness sakes no one believes they can do no wrong. ( It's really those Canadians - they built this thing ;-) ) Read the title - this is the Odyssey PROBLEMS forum. We've all had problems. And we come here to talk about it - hopefully to help others or get help in addressing the problems we have. But it is people who start with the "Odyssey Sucks" banter that gets the rest of us riled up. Nobody makes a perfect car - nobody. I'm sorry you've had problems, but believing Honda is a horrible company because they have recalls doesn't make sense. And I just don't see the comparison between a sliding door that opens and a vehicle that self destructs on impact. I drove a Jeep for years without doors (hey, they made it that way!) and didn't fall out - because I was buckled in. And yes, as a matter of fact I DID say during the 20/20 report "were the kids buckled up?" As i said previously, the reason you see reports on the D/C and Ford recalls is because it took many people's deaths to get those recalls enacted.

Now I'm also curious. After 15 years of problem free D/C vans (10 of them no less), why the switch?

-respondent
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I own '96 Dodge Grand Caravan LE we bought new. I have 76,000 miles on it and have had one incident where a belt tensioner sheared off wiping 2 pumps in its wake (at 65,000 miles). This cost me $750. Other than that - no problems. It is extremely comfortable, the interior is superbly surviving my family of four, the exterior is in good shape, and I routinely tow a 2,500lb boat. I have also noticed that Consumer Reports now reccomends the DGC since the reliability has finally met average or above for the minivan class. In about 18 months we will be shopping for another new minivan and right now it will be between the DGC and Odyssey. The Odyssey will have to really impress us to beat out the DGC (unless this van "falls apart" in the next 18 months). Coming from a 18 year Toyota owner and 2 month Honda owner (Accord) you can imagine how good this van has had to be for me to consider buying another.
    Did I ever write anywhere- The Oddy Sucks? If you read everything I've written, I always say I would cosider another Oddy in the future. I basically like the vehicle, but it still has a long way to go to distance itself from it's competitors. In other words, the Oddy overall just barely edges out the current D/C vans. With Honda's potential expertise, the Oddy should blow away the competition, not just squeak by. What has been disappointing about Honda in the last 6-8 yrs is that they often misjudge the American market, and as a result release vehicles that are just not competitive. Witness the previous generation Oddy, the current awful Passport (yes I know its a rebadged Isuzu, just proving my point even more) the previous generation Accord, the late Prelude. In a way I'm giving a backhanded compliment to Honda, I know that they are immensely talented company with tremendous abilities, and it is very frustrating to see them blunder fairly regularly in the US market. Yes, they are doing very nicely in sales right now, but imagine where they would be if they had come out with the current design Oddy in 1994 or '96? After all D/C had a Grand Caravan in 1987!!!! All the competitors in the Minivan market took a ridiculously long time to figure out Chrysler's winning Minivan formula. Ford was the first to emulate Chrysler and finally had a half-way worthy competitor in the Windstar. Why didn't Honda learn by example?
    Honda seems to be on the right track, again-Finally! The Oddy, the current generation Accord, the upcoming Honda version MDX, and the total revamping of the Acura line-up is proof that Honda is awakening. They will be moving on up in the US market in the next few years, leaving quite a few competitors behind- as long as they keep revamping their product line to reflect the tastes of the American market-their biggest.
    In answer to your query Re: why the switch to Honda after owning D/C vans for so long? I saw the Honda Oddy prototype at the Detroit Auto Show in early 98, then I saw an actual production model at the NY Auto Show in April 98. I was impressed with all the features, the look and the overall SIZE. I also had been finding that the resale value on my D/C vans had been falling pretty steadily in the late 90's. Additionally, I no longer was driving a minivan myself, but my wife was, and she said she would like a change, after driving so many D/C vans for 15 yrs. I figured the Oddy would be a hit, and it would probably command a higher resale value, and I turned out to be right. I put a deposit on one in May 98 and took delivery of the first one that arrived at the dealership, luckily it was a color I wanted.
    Lastly, the 20/20 reports never showed a D/C van "self-destructing" as you put it. The rear tailgate opened up on impact, how does that constitute "self-destruction"?
    >> What has been disappointing
    >> about Honda in the last 6-8 yrs
    >> is that they often misjudge the
    >> American market, and as
    >> a result release vehicles that
    >> are just not competitive

What?? I don't know where you live, but if I had a dime for every Accord, Passport and CRV I see around here I'd be rich. Granted, the Prelude missed the mark, but I think the track record is pretty good. Now with that said, I'm not a "Honda" person. Hondas are always utilitarian - very basic interiors, cheap sheet metal, etc. - but very functional. Personally, I like Mazda (as a complete line) better - but the MPV is too small and underpowered. If it were the size of the Odyssey, it would be perfect. But the Odyssey is a very nice vehicle. I wouldn't trade it for any other van on the market today.
  • masshoosiermasshoosier Member Posts: 70
    is right. This has evolved past the thread's intent. We should take it over to the regular Ody thread or a DC vs. Ody thread. Surfing through this hodge podge might cause an important post by Auburn to go unnoticed or even worse, make such knowledgable contributers(god knows, I don't know crap in comparison about whats under the hood) feel as if its a waste of thier time.
  • trencher7trencher7 Member Posts: 48
    When I first got my 2001 Oddy EX I noticed an outward dent on the back door just below the window. I have noticed almost 4-5 new dents right along the same part of the door. It must be a result of opening and closing the hatch. Do me a favor and look at your back doors and get at an angle to see if you have them too. I noticed them on a few other Oddy's as well and it really bugs me. They are mild dents that are above the license plate and below the window along the strip where the Honda badge is. If you get at an angle you can see them (harder to notice straight on). I feel like Honda should fix the dents since we have done nothing to warrant the damage. Anyone else have these?
This discussion has been closed.