Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't know about any of these vans, but a used Tahoe can be had pretty cheap (if you can afford the gas; mileage is about 5mpg less than most of these minivans).

I did a KBB.com search for a Private Party sale of a used 2001 Tahoe LS 2WD with popular options that include 3rd row seat, PW, PDL, Cr.Ctrl., etc..and 50,000 miles, in "Good" condition. It is estimated at $14,890, and will have a bench that seats three in the second row. You can likely find a better deal than this (newer for the money perhaps) since the recent gas crisis put many SUVs on sale in the marketplace.

Good luck!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    The problem with the Tahoe (more so even than a minivan) is that with the 2nd row full of carseats, access to the 3rd row is pretty much gone. I'm not really aware of any minivan/suv that will meet your needs without 3rd row passengers loading through the back hatch or jumping over the 2nd row. Neither attractive choices. A full-size van would work since you can still access the rear row even with 3 across the 2nd row.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would look for a Chevrolet Astro, although that machine is an ancient truck that's terrible in comparison to the Sienna and Odyssey.

I can't think of anything else except maybe an 8 passenger Chevy Venture, but the IIHS has crash test scores pegged at POOR for the Venture.
    You raise good points here. A full size van or the Astro look to be about the only options that meet these particular criteria. May I ask, how old are the kids? What are you currently driving?
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I would thoroughly investigate the crash test results for the Astro, if available.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Seems to have the best of everything....

Kia Sedona
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Seems to have everything but a well established track record. Sedona would be a good choice for an open minded person who has a reputable Kia dealer conveniently located.
    However, for many of us, the minivan must have the DaimlerChrysler, Honda, Mazda, or Toyota logo prominently displayed. (Listed alphabetically).
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I remember looking at the IIHS results on the Astro a few years back and it was rated as Marginal. Not much better than the Venture, but at least it wasn't poor.
    Seems to have everything but a well established track record.

Remember 40 years ago when the Japanese were known for producing trinkets and junk??? The Koreans are learning fast!! Funny how Kia can now produce a low cost, competitive car here in US while Ford is building Fusions in Mexico?????
  • mellenmellen Member Posts: 2
    Depending on the ages of your kids you could look into vans that have integrated child restraints. These are 5 point harness systems built into the passenger seats and also "stow away" for adult use.

My Venture has two in the middle row. I use one for my three year old and eventually will use the other for my 15 month old. I really love them and with four kids (going on ten years of moving car seats around) I highly recommend them!

I bought my 2001 Venture used for 8800. However, I am currently experiencing many of the same mechanical problems discussed in these forums.

I believe the Dodge Caravan also has this seating option.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    that Car Connection review was the most thorough review I've seen of the 2006 Sedona. It also seemed to emphasize the Sedona's weak spots less than many of the other articles -- exactly the opposite of the Detroit News article posted recently.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    "ESC will keep the van straight. "

Almost always as a driver error correction. If you don't make the error, it doesn't come on. It's a safety net, but many of the times it would be needed can be avoided in thr first place
    "rhaps our new friend also likes to drag race and take highway exit ramps at 85mph...mon! "

I'm sitting at my desk laughing, mon! :P
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Almost always as a driver error correction. If you don't make the error, it doesn't come on. It's a safety net, but many of the times it would be needed can be avoided in thr first place"

Yes. You are 100% correct.

But so is ABS.

So is virtually every other safety device/advance over the last 50 years (although, to be fair, most of these 'safety nets' are for protection from 'the other guy'). Hey, if nobody made any errors we wouldn't need seat belts, padded dashes, airbags, safety glass, etc. etc. etc.

Now, if we would just all drive error free.....
    Yes. You are 100% correct.

But so is ABS.

So is virtually every other safety device/advance over the last 50 years (although, to be fair, most of these 'safety nets' are for protection from 'the other guy'). Hey, if nobody made any errors we wouldn't need seat belts, padded dashes, airbags, safety glass, etc. etc. etc.

Now, if we would just all drive error free..... "

I think ESC is a little different - at least the way it's marketed. A lot of it is showing how it works great in the snow and rain. If you drive according to the conditions, you don't need it. It will help in an emergency maneuver if you have to swerve out of the way of something, but the weather stuff is all avoidable
    "If you drive according to the conditions, you don't need it. It will help in an emergency maneuver if you have to swerve out of the way of something, but the weather stuff is all avoidable"

Yep.

How is that any different from ABS?

I'm interpreting that what you are saying is "hey, be a better driver and you don't need ESC".

True. And if we were ALL better drivers we wouldn't need yada yada etc. Is ESC a safety net? Yep. Are the situations which incite skids avoidable? Absolutely.

Of course, the vast majority of all accidents are avoidable to some extent if we were ALL just better drivers. But I'd still like to have my seat belts, airbags, padded dash, door beams, etc. etc. etc.
    Today's issue of "Autoweek" online has another opinion of the Sedona. I will let y'all read it yourselves because I don't want rioting to break out. ;)
    How is that any different from ABS? "

IMO, the ABS controlled by the car's computer works better than pumping the brakes. It much easier to jam on the brakes and worry about steering than having to pump the brakes while steering. This is more about physical abilities than a correction the car makes after the fact. IMO, of course
    The public didn't like the funky console, so they responded. Smart move. Interior looks much better now, IMO. Should give them a little boost, I would think. For me, if we enter the market again, which might be a possibility, we will look at the Quest...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109225#4
    Again, how is this any different from ESC?

The stability control systems can detect impending skids MUCH MUCH earlier than normal drivers. By the time most drivers detect a skid, they're not far away from being out of control. Often times, drivers tend to overcorrect for skids sending the vehicle oscillating back and forth. With stability control systems, the driver frequently doesn't even know that the system even kicked in until they see a light on the dash.

I know I've posted this numerous times before, but it speaks volumes about the capabilities and importance of ESC systems:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=9036

Additional info as it looks like the NHTSA is close to making ESC a requirement for all vehicles (and the rationale):

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=10623
    Again, how is this any different from ESC?

The stability control systems can detect impending skids MUCH MUCH earlier than normal drivers. By the time most drivers detect a skid, they're not far away from being out of control. Often times, drivers tend to overcorrect for skids sending the vehicle oscillating back and forth. With stability control systems, the driver frequently doesn't even know that the system even kicked in until they see a light on the dash. "

I think that most skid situations are caused by drivers going to fast for the conditions, or moving too suddenly.
    The Quest had fairly poorly over the past couple of years in Consumer Reports frequency of repair.
    I think the most simple way I can put it is this:

By driving correctly, according to weather, road conditions, trffic, etc., you will need to use the ESC much less than ABS.

I'm NOT saying that it isn't worth it or that I wouldn't get it if available. I probably would - just in case. What I am saying is that I KNOW I can avoid it's use most of the time by the way I drive. I had a Saab that had every safety feature you could get and the ESC light came on maybe twice in the 2 1/2 years that I had it.
    The Quest had fairly poorly over the past couple of years in Consumer Reports frequency of repair."

They had horrible first year problems but they are getting better. I wouldn't be looking for a few years, so this is assuming that they continue to approve...
    I had a Saab that had every safety feature you could get and the ESC light came on maybe twice in the 2 1/2 years that I had it.

I wonder what would have happened without it. It's that "one time" that could make all the difference.
    Thanks for the link. The 2007 Quest looks VERY attractive with the changes.
    My 2001 BMW 325ci has ESC/DSC.....used it once on icy exit ramp, stopped the slide and my ABS helped to. Other than that one time, it's come on half a dozen more when not needed (it was activated) i.e...pulling out of a parking lot and hitting a bump and other no threatening events. It's nice to have but it wasn't a major deciding factor with DCX minivan I also have.
    Fair enough. It likely will intervene when not completely needed, as is true of all VSC systems. Heck, my Accord doesn't have it, and I'm not dead yet!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'd be hard-pressed to buy a vehicle without stability control at this point. Particularly one that sits high and is very heavy like a minivan/truck/suv.

There are so many instances where you may use it even if you're a safe driver. We have a sharp kiss-your-butt turn on the way to town and a Navigator driving moron was coming around too fast on my side of the road awhile back. I had to leave the road to miss him. I'm not sure if VSC kicked in or not since I was paying attention to get around the turn with two wheels in the cinders. If that happened to someone else they may have jerked hard back onto the road and VSC would certainly make an even bigger difference as to whether you make it back on the road or not. I wouldn't let my wife drive a vehicle without it, at least now that it's available and I know how well it works.

I spent many years behind the wheel of race cars so I'm quite confident in my driving, but I have no problem letting a system like this intervene when I KNOW there's no way I can do what the system does in a split-second. And there's no way you can say you'll never need this system just because you're driver of the year. Stuff happens, even to the guys that know what they're doing.
    I wonder what would have happened without it.<<

In my case, nothing
    Good for you. In my case, I ended up in a guard rail because a fishtail was started that I couldn't overcome. (i was forced off the road at 45 mph on a bridge).
    Parking at Ford

This is really silly but that's Detroit for ya!! Some bonehead thinks this will help sales maybe??? Who knows!
    It would just tick me off. If Ford didn't build a vehicle to suit me and my needs adequately, I don't think I'd own one even if I DID work for them.

My parents are both mainframe computer programmers at a MAJOR life insurance company, but neither of them bought policies through their company.
    I agree with Ford. It is called "LOYALTY".
    Prime parking is a REWARD for supporting your employer.
    The Ford Motor Company has a very wide selection of vehicles in all categories. I may not like the Windstar/Freestar/Freestyle as well as a GC, T&C, Sienna, or Ody...but if Ford paid my wages and benefits, it does not seem unreasonable for me to buy a Ford.
    IF a person does not believe in the company product, the person should find another employer (within reason...depending on the length of employement and other factors).
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    agree. If someone is paying me 60k for a job that does not require a college education...I'm buying whatever they are selling.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    The speedometer in the middle I will never understand. Looks really good inside and out.
    I guess that's a good way to look at it. The good times are over in Detroit for union workers and management. They may have to pay for part of their healthcare!! OMG!!! Maybe this will force some people to actually think before running to the doctors with sniffles and taking the entire day off work for it - if they actually are burdened with the true cost of something!

I know a Hilo driver at one of the Ford plants.....it's his sole job - moving crap around. It usually takes a few hours in the morning then he sits all day watching TV in break room, cards or reading paper. In the summer he'll skip out at lunch to go boating.....no one cares.

It's a free market "adjustment" for these guys! People in other countries are eager to work for less and do a better job (Hell, even people in this country!)

Ohhh and don't get me started on what it cost to put on a show at the COBO center here in Detroit, where there are very specific jobs for Union members and no one dare does anything else. For example one member handles lighting issues for displays, one carpet, one garbage, one phone etc....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to learn about the vehicles of choice for people with large families. If you have 6 or more in the house and often travel as a group, what is your preferred mode of transportation? Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Wednesday, February 22, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about this topic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

About time. Glad you included and management .
    Toyota and Honda management pay in relation to worker pay is MUCH smaller than Ford, GM, and DC. It is remarkable that DaimlerChrysler can produce the GC and T&C of equal value to the Sienna and Odyssey when DC management and union workers are paid so much more than their counterparts at Toyota and Honda.
    The federal government has many employees being paid $60,000+, heck, $100,000+ with no college education. Should we buy all they sell?
    The federal government has many employees being paid $60,000+, heck, $100,000+ with no college education. Should we buy all they sell?

Sad thing is, Federal employees don't produce anything, and they're unionizing to keep their jobs!!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    What I stated was that if someone were paying me 60k a year to work in a car plant, I would be buying whatever they were selling. I have no idea how or why you brought the federal government into this, but what you decide to buy, and from whom, is your business.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I was referring to buying the message of the federal government.

Back to buying minivans.......................
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    The Dodge is the family friendly minivan. Not only has it gots lots of room to load stuff both side and back, but plenty of storage to put diaper bags, tools. sporting equipment and etc. completely out of sight.

http://www.marine1.zoomshare.com/album/minivan/images/f18f83bd36cdf303c22ab68724- 6252d3_11404032510/image.jpg

http://www.marine1.zoomshare.com/album/minivan/images/3c38fb2705868db01d3853fb53- af25d9_11404033020/image.jpg
    AGREE 100%. Thanks for sharing the very nice photos. The GC SXT is THE MOST family friendly minivan although the interior may not look as luxurious as the Sienna or Odyssey but the GC SXT gives the buyer more nice comfort and convenience features for the money than the others.
    I prefer the 3rd row seat folding mechanism of the Sienna and Odyssey to the GC mainly because the seat bottom of the GC has a much greater slope to it. The GC 3rd row seats fold just as easily up or down as the Sienna or Odyssey. I also prefer the 60% portion of the 3rd row being on the driver's side in the GC and Sienna to the Ody having the 40 % on the driver's side.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    AGREE 100%. Thanks for sharing the very nice photos. The GC SXT is THE MOST family friendly minivan although the interior may not look as luxurious as the Sienna or Odyssey but the GC SXT gives the buyer more nice comfort and convenience features for the money than the others.

It's not as nice inside, but it sure looks nice outside.

http://www.marine1.zoomshare.com/album/minivan/images/89e3b00d183e0844b5c218d15b- bfbcd9_11404009020/image.jpg

http://www.marine1.zoomshare.com/album/minivan/images/3f77ec23d7c4ca8a854e0cf9b0- 12db13_11404001840/image.jpg
    GC SXT has THE MOST attractive minivan exterior styling.
    I noticed that you keep your cast wheels washed so they do not corrode. Since DC disc brake pads are terrible for causing ugly corrosion, the cast wheels or wheel covers must be kept clean.
    I think the Sienna exterior styling is one of the least attractive but we see mostly the interior which we feel is the most attractive.
    I could have been just as happy with either a 2006 GC SXT or a 2006 Ody EX (cloth) as I am with our 2006 Sienna LE 7 passenger.
    GC SXT has THE MOST attractive minivan exterior styling.

Thanks for your opinion of beauty. Others will argue their van is the nicest looking. Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    My 1996 Caravan does not create visible brake dust at all. Neither the original pads or the replacements. I do not have to do anything in particular to keep the wheels from "corroding". In fact, except for a few scrapes on the edge of the rim due to a few scrapes with curbs during parallel parking, our alloy wheels still look like new-and this is after going through nine upper midwest winters with lots of contact with road salt.

Unless DC's brake pad formulation changed over the years, or you got some different aftermarket pads, brake dust is not an issue with DC minivans.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    One big convenience feature advantage of Odyssey and Sienna is an 8th seat option. If you need an 8th passenger spot regularly or even now and then for one of the kids' friends, it's a huge advantage. There's nothing friendly about ever having to put an extra kid into a vehicle without their own seatbelt, not even once for a short trip home...

If only I could have gotten folding second row seats like those in the DC or Nissan vans with an 8th seat option it would have been the ideal kid hauler for us.