Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• temp409temp409 Member Posts: 55
    He says pendulum in rear is heavier than in front and thats why it wont catch when you jerk the rear. Really I just want test done to make things safe for everyone. Im not sure if I can get a lawyer to do all that without money but one is suppose to call me back, I want to know if I should release the van to Diamlerchrysler or not.Hopefully he will give me that answer for free.
    My Kia needs a running board and they are soo high like $460 on the internet and that don't count having it put on I dont think. Thought I better change the subject I know people are sick of hearing the seatbelt thing.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "He says pendulum in rear is heavier than in front and thats why it wont catch when you jerk the rear."

IMO, that sounds like someone blowing smoke. A pendulum mechanism works by the pendulum swinging forward. A heavier vs. lighter pendulum should have no bearing on locking when the strap is jerked.

Change of subject: when looking at running boards, try to find out if they attach at existing mounting locations (holes in the frame of the vehicle) or if they would require new holes.

If they bolt up to existing holes, they should be a snap to install. Sounds like a perfect parent/daughter weekend project to me. ;) If they require some drilling, you may want to consider professional installation (depending on how mechanically confident you are).
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    "IMO, that sounds like someone blowing smoke. A pendulum mechanism works by the pendulum swinging forward. A heavier vs. lighter pendulum should have no bearing on locking when the strap is jerked."

Yup. Someone who either doesn't know what they are talking about or is being intentionally deceptive. I wouldn't let them inspect my vehicle before consulting with a lawyer, at least not after that explanation. Plus any pendulum-type retractor is not going to respond to a jerk on the belt anyway. The best way to test the pendulum type is to have an adult in the seatbelt. At the same time you brake suddenly, they should pull on the shoulder belt to see if it is locked. If you can do the sharp braking on a steep downhill incline, you have an even better chance to trip the mechanism.
    Something he said today that the gov. makes them spend millions on crash testing befour releaseing a new vehicle and I said so you do your own crash testing and he said yes and everything is recorded. And then he said for me to contact NHTSA for the rear occupant test question. Why is that if they do thier own then shouldn't they know? Maybe I missed something I don't know. Do car companys do the NHTSA testing themselves or does some independant gov. thing do it? And do they crash test with rear occupants in vans? I haven't heard back from lawyer and quess I wont since its almost 5:30 here Maybe he can answer them questions hopefully, No email back from NHTSA either.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Lawyers usually won't charge unless there is a monetary settlement, then they take a third of that amount.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    This is what my owners manual says about our 01 DGC EX seat belts.

" The belt webbing retractor is designed to lock during very sudden stops or collisions. This feature allows the shoulder part of the belt to move freely with you under normal conditions. But in a collision, the belt will lock and reduce the risk of your striking the inside of the vechicle or being thrown out."

" The seat belts for both front seating positions are equipped with pretensioning devices that are designed to remove slack from the seat belt in the event of a collision. These devices improve the performance of the seat belt by assuring that the belt is tight about the occupant early in a collision. Pretensioners work for all size occupants, including those in child restraints and will only deploy if the seat belt is buckled."
    :shades:
    My book that came with my 2001 caravan dont have the second part of your quote.
    "The seat belts for both front seating positions are equipped with pretensioning devices that are designed to remove slack from the seat belt in the event of a collision. These devices improve the performance of the seat belt by assuring that the belt is tight about the occupant early in a collision. Pretensioners work for all size occupants, including those in child restraints and will only deploy if the seat belt is buckled"

MY BOOK DONT HAVE THAT PAGE WHAT PAGE YOU ON? Mine was a 2001 caravan but Im not sure if it was EX or not how would I know if I have a EX? When did they start putting PRETENSIONING device one caravans?
    Mine doesnt say anything about front pretensioners when did dodge caravan start putting them on?
  • mjhinnantmjhinnant Member Posts: 3
    We are looking for our first minivan.

My wife loves the inegral child seat and the 3 sets of seatbelts in the second row of the Chevy Venture, but we know about the quality and reliability issues.

So, is there any other minivan that comes with, or you can get the integral child seat on and or the 3 seats in second row?

Looking forward to your sharing.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    IF you must have an integral child seat and 3 sets of seat belts in the 2nd row you have one choice: Chevy Venture.

Our daughter has loved the integral built in child seat of her 1999 GC but her sister does NOT trust the integral built in child seat and uses child seats with LATCH.

The 8 passenger Sienna CE or LE have 3 legitimate seats in the 2nd row and an excellent child seat could be secured onto any of the 3 seats.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    If I recall correctly, Dodge and maybe also Chrysler still have a version available with integral child seats in the second row. I believe this version has the stowable third row but the second row is a non stowable bench. It may also be available in the short wheel base versions of these vans, which have no stowable seats, second or third row.

Poke around in the Edmunds new car pricing section or the Dodge corporate web site and you will be able to find out.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My wife loves the inegral child seat and the 3 sets of seatbelts in the second row of the Chevy Venture, but we know about the quality and reliability issues.

More importantly, the Chevy Venture recieved a POOR in crash tests, didn't it? I'd think about that before purchasing as my family vehicle.
    If I recall the poor crash tests applied to the GM minivans before they added the SUV type snout to them, which may have made them safer, but did nothing for their looks, in my opinion.

I think their safety ratings are OK now, but I haven't checked them out. Anyone intesrested could go to the nhtsa and IIHS web sites.
    If I recall the poor crash tests applied to the GM minivans before they added the SUV type snout to them, which may have made them safer, but did nothing for their looks, in my opinion.

But the shopper is looking at a Venture van, not the new Uplander CSV thingy(according to his/her post).
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Well, if you absolutely need integrated child seats, the short wheelbase Chrysler Town & Country will have them, but the 2nd row only has 2 seatbelts and not 3. Plus it won't have Stow N Go, meaning if you need to carry something bulky you'll have to take out those Easy Roller seats. (which aren't so easy)

But I would rather get a Sienna CE or LE 8 Passenger model and install 3 top notch car seats in it rather than take a risk with the Venture's poor crash test ratings.
    I will have to look in the owners manual again. But, I will say this, I did alot of research back in early 2003 before we purchased our minivan. The things I was looking for, in this order, was: cost, four or five star safety ratings, reliability and features. When I was looking at the 2001 and 2002 DGC and T&C, it was frustrating at times because of the many different modles to choose from and features. (Since we were buying used, you can't add options.) After, almost 6 months of research, the 01 DGC EX was exactly what we wanted and have not been disappointed in almost three years of ownership.

I did notice, on the Grand Caravans, the safety features that we have was either not available or an opition for other makes for the 01 new modle year . (Our van has all of the safety features that was available for the 01 new modle year.) The only safety feature that was an opition for the EX, was front driver and passenger side airbags. To which we have since the previous owner purchased it when they bought it brand new.

All I can say is this, you have got to do your research before you make any vechicle purchase. Look at all the standard equipment and the opitions that you can purchase. From my research, I learned that there is a lot of stuff in a vechicle that is unseen. I knew about every feature and how to use them on our van before we made our purchase. Also, I read the entire owners manual a few days after purchase, which I do with all vechiles that I purchased. You wouldn't believe how many people don't even do that. There is a lot of useful information in there pertaining to your vechicle. :shades:
    How come if you research vehicles like 01 caravan at Msn.com and click safety tab they rate it Poor almost all the way on crash test rating but NHTSA rates it 4 and 5 star? Seems like a big difference to me. My sister got her a new 05 Kia today fully loaded with dvd player and everything for around $17,000 5yr bumper to bumper w/road side assist. plus 20 yr 200.000 mile power train warranty. I love mine Kia so far but Ive only had it about 2 weeks it rode better and looked better than Odyssey I think but Toyota sienna was my fav. but it cost so much more and its warrranty was way less than kia.
    I thought Kia's Long Haul warranty was only 10 years, 100,000 miles, and that it was non-transferable.

Did they change the warranty terms???
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    NHTSA actually crash tests vehicles and reports the results while MSN.com does NOT. MSN.com is NOT a vehicle crash testing agency. :sick:
    To answer your earlier question, it is on page 47.

How come if you research vehicles like 01 caravan at Msn.com and click safety tab they rate it Poor almost all the way on crash test rating but NHTSA rates it 4 and 5 star? Seems like a big difference to me.

You are correct about your assessment. When I was doing the research as to crash worthiness on our 01 DGC EX. IIHS gave our van a Poor rating because in one of two 40 mph test, there was a fuel tank fitting that cracked and leaked. Because Daimlerchrysler did not recall all 2001 models to fix this problem, is why it received an overall poor rating. NHTSA rated our van as a 5 and 4 stars.

So as you can see, you have to read the results to see why your vechicle received the bad rating. In our case, I would expect a fuel leak in any 40 mph accident in the real world. :shades:
    I think we will do that since its close to where we live and they claim oil change and stuff is not higher than the norm. so we will see
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    2010 for "Stow N Go" for Nissan.

Nissan Quest
  • soccermom21813soccermom21813 Member Posts: 3
    I need to obtain (2) Chrysler EC numbers. Our local dealership is offering a lease one lease one free offer (lease a DGC and the lease on a Dodge Ram or Dodge Dakota is free). He said to get a couple of EC numbers and it would save us approximately 90.00 per month. The monthly payment on this would be $288.00 per month.

Can anyone help me with this, please? :blush:
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    What happens if you turn the gas on and stick your head in the over? And then shut the door on your head several times? That's pretty much what this forum feels like lately.

I had Ford Freestar rental over the weekend. I requested a luxury car and thanks to a late flight was out of luck. So it was either a small car, suv, or Freestar. I took the minivan since I had a long drive and figured it would do better on gas. I tried to convince the wife to sit in the backseat while I jammed the brakes to see if the seatbelts worked, but for some reason she just wouldn't go along with it.

I can see why there's no much talk about the Freestar on here. Nothing to talk about. T&C/Ody/Sienna are in a completely different league. Gas mileage was a whopping 17mpg, which is far worse than my Ody and probably in line with what I could have squeezed out of an Explorer.
    If history is a guide, you're right.

Have we Odyssey owners scared the Dodge owners away since we are defending THEM? Where'd they go?
    We are all busy testing our seatbelts :D
    Relax sebring; I thought (there I go again) this had been a refreshing change of pace from our usual slagging each other over all the perceived advantages/disadvantes of our favorite minivans.

I suppose we could delve BACK into that endless debate of the merits of sto'n'go seating and vehicle stability control. On second thought, let's not.....

Agree on your assessment of the Freestar. It's almost like Ford (and GM for that matter) feel like there is a Federal mandate that they HAVE to cover the full range of vehicle types and so put out a half-hearted attempt at a minivan. Just to say "yep, we have a minivan too". Which probably appeals only to die-hard Ford fanatics.
    "We are all busy testing our seatbelts"

Have you tried jerking them?
    ;)
    If you tried the same test with a microwave, would the microwave oven feel warm when you opened the door and stuck your hand in? No. Is this 'evidence' that the microwave oven doesn't work?

But I have an electric oven, I feel slighted here!!! Next time for fair and balance, please use Electric and Convection ovens - ok?
    But I have an electric oven, I feel slighted here!!! Next time for fair and balance, please use Electric and Convection ovens - ok?

:) ROFL. :D

Wow, post number 2,000! I feel special.

Ok, I'm over it.
    No problem.

Ummmmmm, lessee.....

If you turn an electric oven on and check it a few minutes later, a good test to see if it's working are the orange glowy things are....glowing. But even though those orange glowy things look pretty, don't grab one, it will be hot. But it you turn on a gas oven and check it later, you won't see those little glowy things. But that doesn't mean the gas oven isn't working.

I can't help you with convection ovens. But I'm fairly sure that regardless of the type, it will hurt if you shut the door on your head.

Now I'm sure that claireS will be along any minute to try herding us cats back onto the minivan path again.
    Now I'm sure that claireS will be along any minute to try herding us cats back onto the minivan path again.

OMG!! I thought this was Edmund's appliance shopping area? It's not?

OMG!! I thought this was Edmund's appliance shopping area? It's not?

Back to the Kenmore forums for you, dennis.
    "I thought this was Edmund's appliance shopping area? It's not?"

What class of automobiles could best be described as the 'appliance' of passenger vehicles?

Answer: Minivans :)

Since this is the "minivan shopping" thread, I don't think that discussion of 'appliances' is COMPLETELY out of bounds. ;)

Maybe 90% out of bounds, but not completely. Besides, a little humor never hurt. If you really want to go back to the usual hurling vindictives at one another's choice in minivans, I suppose we could. But isn't there already enough of that over in the Ody vs. Caravan thread? :sick:
    If you really want to go back to the usual hurling vindictives at one another's choice in minivans, I suppose we could. But isn't there already enough of that over in the Ody vs. Caravan thread?

AMEN to that.
    My oven door catches too when I jerk it!
    The Freestar, albeit a lame-duck minivan, represents an excellent used minivan buy, in my opinion despite the poor fuel economy (for a minivan).

Your thoughts on this?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

Nah. My eyes glaze over whenever I see the words word "stove" or "oven", so everything looks just fine here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    "Since this is the "minivan shopping" thread, I don't think that discussion of appliances' is COMPLETELY out of bounds. ;)"

Minivans can carry many appliances in the back. Fridge, washer/dryer or stove/oven, though not all at once. Stow N go make it easy for those impulse appliance buys. ;)
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    i wish i can afford an impulse appliance purchase
    The Freestar, albeit a lame-duck minivan, represents an excellent used minivan buy, in my opinion despite the poor fuel economy (for a minivan).

Your thoughts on this?

I've always considered the Caravan the choice for bargain used buying. It's a nicer vehicle with a low price on the used market. How much cheaper is a freestar on the corner lot? I've not shopped so I can't say, but the prices I've seen on 2 year old program Caravans screams deal. And it's a far better vehicle IMHO. The Freestar reminded me of driving a Taurus, which I'll do anything to avoid at the rental counter.
    I'll agree with you completely.

Comparing the Caravan to the Freestar head to head as new vehicles, the Caravan is far better (IMO) on several fronts. These advantages exist whether the vehicles in question are new or used. The Freestar would ONLY make more sense to purchase used if, for some reason, a Freestar were considerably cheaper than a comparable Caravan with similar mileage.
    I guess my opinion has been swayed by the ads in my area that scream "USED FREESTARS for $14,995!"

Come to think of it, a dealer here advertised some ex-rental Grand Caravans at $13,990 so I guess the Grand Caravan is cheaper...
  • philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    in my area *80k power-train certified* 05 ex-fleet t&c lx's with s&g are typically advertised for $14995. hard to beat that for value in that price range.

i still have my original 05 windstar (140k with original tranny lol, gotta be rare) just as a backup beater. can't believe ford hasn't updated the look in 11 years.
    The Freestar is so lame duck, it's forum has not had a post since 1/30/06. Soon it will become a "read only" topic.
  • mjhinnantmjhinnant Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to you all that replied.

The 3 belts has become less important in recent days.

The dodge/chrysler seem to provide the most flexibility. We are going to spend more time at a toyota dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again.
    I wonder how often it takes the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to sell a single Monterey...
    I don't even think I ever saw one on the road. I did see my first Dodge Caliber yesterday.
    I wonder how often it takes the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to sell a single Monterey..

According to Automotive News inventories as of March 1, 2006:

Model/Days Supply

Caravan/57
    T&C/62
    Freestar/55
    Monterey/120
    Uplander/73
    Relay/158
    Odyssey/52
    Quest/138
    MPV/85

I would say Ford tightened their production belts pretty hard. I'd also say the minivan market has dried a bit for the Dodge/Honda since their inventories are both up a bit. Here are the numbers from July 1, 2005:

Caravan/47
    T&C/42
    Freestar/77
    Monterey/316
    Uplander/51
    Relay/98
    Odyssey/26
    Quest/75
    MPV/129

Toyota does not report inventory by model. Overall here is the inventory by manufacturer for March, 1 2006:

DaimlerChrysler/65
    Ford/80
    GM/90
    Honda/50
    Nissan/68
    Mazda/72
    Toyota/41