Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The quality of the leather MIGHT be equal to factory installed....BUT, everything seems to fit better and last longer when installed at the factory instead of later.

Aftermarket leather may look nice but how will it appear in 4 or 5 years? :blush:
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I've seen some very good aftermarket leather actually. A local guy I know put Katskins (i think that's the spelling) in his VW about five years ago. It still looks as good as any OEM leather I've seen. Most OEM leather is NOT the greatest IMHO, particularly in low-end vehicles such as we're discussing. The Odyssey leather is rather industrial, which is probably good for kid use. The leather in my wifes Lexus is very nice, but good lord it should be!

Eitehr way it doesn't change the fact that the 8-passenger model Sienna is an LE, which is rather stripped down.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I'm pretty certain I'd NEVER be able to get my MIL into a cargo carrier..."

hmmm...that post of mine on cargo carriers and MIL didn't seem to come out the way I intended . Perhaps a Fruedian slip? :blush:

Though on last years trip to Florida I did see a few cargo carriers had fallen off their vehicles, busted open, and abandoned along side the interstate. So, some of you out there aren't using enough sedatives when putting the ole bat(MIL) in storeage for long trips. Ya got put some sleeping bags, luggage and other nick knacks in with MIL...that way she can't get those knees up to kick
    the cargo carrier open and escape. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I agree with you on this. I have found that most aftermarket leather is usually of a better quality than most OEM leather (obviously this depends on the brand). It is important that the work be done by a reputable shop. My father-in-law had aftermarket leather installed in his SUV and it fit and looked very nice (I think he paid around $1K). I would definitely not spend 2-10K extra on a vehicle just to get leather (if you do not want the other options).
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Host,

Can you add the Entourage and the Quest to this thread?

Also, I think the Venture should be changed to the Uplander.

Thanks.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    What would be a good price to pay for a 06 Sienna Limited with Package 3 right now? The lone dealer in my area with a package 3 Sienna is offering $36,029 after all discounts, and the $1000 off coupon the Nashville area dealers are offering.

I have a gut feeling the dealership could go lower, but the price they're offering is below TMV.
    After spending the entire day (and part of the night) yesterday test driving nearly half a dozen minivans I purchased a 2006 Odyssey EX-L in Northern VA for $500 under invoice (gotta love those end of month deals).

I thought I would share some of my driving thoughts from the various manufacturers:

- Toyota Sienna (LE and XLE). The Sienna was a very solid minivan that is well engineered. The seats in all rows were very comfortable, the dashboard was laid out nicely. Overall, my wife and I really liked the way the Sienna drove, it handled well, had a sharp turning radius, had brisk acceleration, and seems very solid. Here are the factors we did not like:
    - Packaging. What we hated was the various packages Toyota has for the Sienna. I insisted on stability control and hoped to purchase leather, but the Toyota XLE with leather was priced nearly $2K more than the Odyssey EX-L we purchased.
    - Performance/handling. The Odyssey was faster, and handled more to my liking (like a sedan). I actually liked the interior on the Odyssey slightly better after driving them back-to-back.
    - The worst part of the experience was the greasy sales manager at Lustine Toyota (Woodbridge, VA) who would not give me a breakdown in costs on paper and a final price. He kept telling me that the Odyssey price I was quoted by the Honda dealer was "too good to be true" and that first we needed to decide which van we wanted and then he could talk price. Needless to say, I informed him that I would deal with a different Toyota dealer if I decided to purchase a Sienna and walked out. I hate high-pressure sales tactics...
    - Safety. Overall, the Toyota has decent safety ratings per the IIHS, but received a "Poor" for rear impact collisions (compared to the Odysseys "Marginal"). I also did not like the fact that stability control was an option and not standard like the Honda.

- Chrysler Town and Country (touring). Was actually very surprised with this minivan (having driven a Dodge Grand Caravan rental recently). This van was a loaded (leather, DVD, power liftgate, power doors, etc), model and had the 3.8L V6. First of all, this van drove my better than the Dodge GC we drove (I believe the rental had the 3.3L engine). The engine was much quieter during acceleration than the Dodge GC and had a ton of features for about 26K before TT&L. We drove this van as an afterthought really thiking it would come down to either the Toyota or Honda. The T&C's Stow and Go is a nice feature, and we loved the power liftgate and color options. The leather was not as plush as the Honda or Toyota, but it was not bad. As much as we liked this van, we picked the Honda based on these factors:
    - The T&C was not nearly as fun to drive as the Honda. The Honda was quieter, was much much faster, and handled much more like a car than the T&C.
    - The T&C's Stow&Go seats were uncomfortable. They would be adequate for children, or short trips, but I felt they would be uncomfotable on a long trip for an adult.
    - The overall fit and finish was not as nice as Honda or Toyota. The buttons and controls were poorly layed out (I felt as though they just bunched everything together) and the plastic controls felt very cheap.
    - We were also concerned with regards to reliability and safety on this van. Both Honda and Toyota get better overall safety and reliabily ratings.
    - Lastly, we were concerned with resale. Even though this van was severly marked down, we were concerned about trying to sell this van down the road.

That said, the T&C had the most features for the money and had more than enough power. It handled well and is a great value. My conclusions are that all three of these vans are solid buys. I just felt that the Honda was the overall winner with regards to safety, reliability, performance and handling, functionality and features, resale, and price.
    Congratulations on your nice new van. Excellent discussion of 3 minivans. ;)
    The Ocean Mist Metallic was our favorite color for the Odyssey EX with cloth interior and you got an EX-L for about $1,000 LESS than the best price we were quoted for an EX cloth without your extras.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    From your discussion, did you not even consider the Kia Sedona or Hyundai Entourage?
    I did consider them, and the Kia ranks very high with regards to safety. Here were my areas of concern:
    - I received several Internet quotes on the Kia (did not put out feelers for the Hyundai as I was not aware that they were available yet), and comparing the Kia EX with the luxury package and the power package, it was coming in slightly higher than a similarly equipped Honda Odyssey EX-L.
    - Although Kia/Hyundai have come a long way with regards to liability, I still think that Honda and Toyota have a much longer proven track record.
    - Was concerned about paying slightly more than invoice for a vehicle that may have $3K in rebates in 6-12 months. This would kill resale value.
    - Lastly, this vehicle is a completely redesigned model. I usually like to wait at least a year for the dealer to "work out the kinks".

There is no doubt that the Kia is a very nice minivan, but based on the deal I got on the Honda, the Kia was actually slightly more expensive for almost the exact same features. In another 6-12 months, the Kia (with steep rebates) will most likely be 2K cheaper.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, deekster,

This topic's for discussing shopping for minivans, so I've moved your post to the discussion below, where it's more likely to get the answer's you're looking for:

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions, post #3918

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

hansienna, thanks I love the van (our first mini van!) I was all set on getting the Silver Platinum van when I saw the Ocean Mist Metallic on the lot. Both me and my wife liked it the best, and since our other vehicle is silver, we thought this would be a nice compliment.

It seems as thought Honda is getting more competitive with pricing these vans. It also helps to shop at the end of the month and get as many quotes as possible. Some of the quotes I received came in just below MSRP! In addition, I am fortunate that I live near so many Honda dealers. I was able to get quotes from about eight dealers all within 25 miles of my house.

I also have to thank you for all your comments on the Grand Caravans. We came very close to buying a loaded Chrysler Town and Country (Touring). Anyone thinking about buying either a Toyota or Honda should take the time to drive this van. IMHO, the T&C and Dodge GC SXT vans probably offer the best overall value for the money. The Toyota and Honda just felt more solid, drove better, and had better fit and finsish.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Host,

Can you add the Entourage and the Quest to this thread?

Also, I think the Venture should be changed to the Uplander.

Done :) But feel free to discuss shopping for any van you like here, even if you don't see its name up top. I've added the Uplander but have left the Venture in the description -- quite a few people come in here asking about purchasing used vehicles, as well as new ones.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    Fair enough. I agree on waiting a year. I do not plan to buy until the end of the year. Not quite a year, but should be enough time, with all the forum feedback, and two essentially the same minivans to be able to tell. The Odyssey would definetly be my choice after the Kia and Hyundai.
  • elpablo123elpablo123 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if I can get a second row bench for the Odyssey or any other minivan? I would like to install my baby's car seat in the center and NOT next to the door.

Any suggestions I will appreciate.

I went to the Kia daler to ask this about the Sedona, but they said there's a bench only for the third row.

Thank you,
    kansas
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    The Odyssey can be had with 8 seat capacity. Off the top of my head, I think the EX comes this way. The Toyota Sienna CE and LE also come with an 8 seat option.
    As another option, the right side 2nd row seat on the MPV can slide left to a more central position. I think the 7 seat Odyssey can also do this.

Good luck,
    Vic
    The 8 passenger Ody can also slide the 2nd row buckets together as well. It just requires removing the center seat which will fold up and fit in the in-floor storage (assuming, like the Dodge, the in-floor storage isn't crammed with stuff). We pulled our center 2nd row seat out this weekend for a trip and it folds up quite small actually.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    "Does anyone know if I can get a second row bench for the Odyssey or any other minivan? I would like to install my baby's car seat in the center and NOT next to the door."

The 8-passenger Sienna (available on CE and LE trims) not only has a middle seat in the second row, but that seat can also be moved forward for easier access to a child from the front seat. This might be a nice feature for you, though moving the seat to that position is some effort so you wouldn't want to be moving it back and forth daily. The more common 7-passenger Sienna has a passenger side second row seat that can be moved toward the center like the Odyssey and MPV, though it is a little more difficult to move it.

Children are very safe when properly restrained in any rear seating position. This is particularly true of kids in 5-point harnesses, especially rear-facing models. These seats offer an added degree of side impact protection. I would have no concerns having a child in an outboard rear seat of today's top minivans, assuming they are properly restrained in a correctly installed child seat. Carseats with a 5-point harness provide additional side impact protection, especially rear-facing infant and convertible seats. In most minivans, you also have the advantage of height and a few more inches of space from the captain's chair to the door and that helps, too. Finally, side curtain airbags are another advantage of most current minivans.

Also, we are finding that while the center may still be the safest position, it may not be as advantageous as once thought. Being outboard does put you closer to one side of the vehicle, but that risk is almost balanced out by the much greater space to a side impact on the far side.

I have an 8-passenger Odyssey and could move the passenger side seat in the second row toward the center. I do this sometimes to accomodate access to the third row, but normally I keep it moved to the outside and that is where our 1-year old is seated in a rear-facing restraint. I am very confident he could survive many crashes that an adult passenger in a seatbelt might not.
    If you are waiting until the end of the year, I think both the Sedona and Entourage will be discounted more, and by then you should have a good idea of any reliability issues.

I definitely recommend driving all the vans (Toyota, Honda, Kia/Hyundai, Chrysler/Dodge) before buying a van. It seems to me that each van has its strengths and weaknesses and, depending upon your needs, you may be surprised.

The thing that impressed me about the Odyssey was resale. I briefly looked for some used 05-06 Odyssey's and there was little selection, and not much price difference from a new one. These vans hold their value very well and are also in demand.
  • joancjoanc Member Posts: 26
    Hi all..
    ..Just curious..does anyone happen to know if side-curtain airbags can be added on a vehicle after-market? I was wondering if it's possible to have it done on a Kia Sedona (o3). I know the new models come with the side airbags, but I really can't justify trading our current Sedona in and starting all over again on payments (especially when it's running great and we really enjoy it). Thanks in advance for any input..
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    You'd probably pay as much to have airbags installed as for a new van completely. The vehicle's electrical and mechanical architecture probably wasn't designed for these 5-6 years ago. It almost impossible to do!
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    In addition, I'd be surprised if any legitimate shop would touch something like this due to liability.
    The Sienna 7 passenger right side bucket seat is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to move to make a bench seat than either the Odyssey or MPV. :sick:
    The Odyssey has better designed 2nd row seating than the Sienna and also has a better 3rd row folding mechanism than the Sienna. ;)
  • elpablo123elpablo123 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the information. You are right, I went to a Honda dealer and they showed me how to move the right seat in the second row to the center, although it's not really centered but it's away from the door.

I went to the Kia (Sedona) and the Nissan (Quest) dealers to check how they arrange the second row, but unfortunately the seats cannot be moved. In the Quest you cannot even open the windows for the 2nd and 3rd row. :-(

Next stop will be to check the MPV, since some of you mentioned it here.

Thank you for all the insightful information.
  • edhopperedhopper Member Posts: 7
    How many miles is too many? I am in the market for a 2002 -2003 Dodge Caravan. I've seen a few advertized with high mileage.
    I want to know if a 4 year old Caravan with 80k-100k is worth buying.
    For instance I would not buy a small 4cyl. car with over 100k. The engine will probably start having problems soon.
    So if I buy a 2002-2003 Caravan with 80k to 100k, would I just be asking for trouble?
    After all, that's 25k+ a year.
    This is info Caravan owners might know that doesn't show up in places like Edmunds or Kelly or Cars.com.
    I hope the forum members can help.
    Thanks
    No, unless you KNOW everything is in excellent condition. Any used vehicle with 80k to 100k miles might require some expensive repairs. :sick:
    The Caravan eC and SE had a 2.4L inline 4 cyl engine while the Sport had a 3.3L V6. The Grand Caravan came with a 3.3L V6 in the GC SE, GC Sport and GC eL. The 3.8L V6 was standard on the GC eX, GC LE, and GC SXT.
    You can only afford what you can afford. If you need a minivan and those are in your price range, sounds like you're going to be buying used. Anytime you buy used, it's a bit of a gamble. I personally would rather buy an '03 model with 100k miles than a '99 model with 50k miles. The '03 was likely driven a lot of highway miles and more likely to have be maintained propertly. The low mileage car is probably driven around town. Either way, maintenance records and condition should point you to a decent car. Have a mechanic check it out real good.

Engines really aren't that problematic anymore if properly maintained. 200k miles is fairly common without much effort. Transmissions on the other hand are less reliable in all brands so there's a big gamble there no matter what. I'd still prefer the one with highway miles. A transmission can be rebuilt for $2,000 which isn't that much in the scheme of things.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If this fits your budget, I guess it would be better to buy the high mileage Caravan than buy an older but lower mileage Caravan as the high mileage one would have had mostly highway miles while the low mileage one was probably tossed around the city.
    Buy the high mileage newer one!! I once purchased a 79 Civic with very low miles, driven by an old lady just to church and back - NOT JOKING!! The Civic was my worst car - burning oil etc... City driving is the worst, while highway is the easiest on a car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Honda's had not fully hit their stride in the 70s, either...Honda of the 70s was like Hyundai of the 90s...improving, but not there yet.

I also agree with getting a high-mileage newer car vs the low-milage older one; My grandmother drove my 1996 for 110,000 miles or so before giving it to me for my 15th birthday. It only had one problem ever with her, and was fixed under warranty (o2 sensor). As for me, I've only had to replace two things (knock on the proverbial wood if you please) and have never been stranded, even though just yesterday I clicked to 161,000 miles.
    American Honda has posted its 4th record sales month in a row for April. Individual sales records were set for all their light trucks, including Ridgeline Pickup, Pilot and CR-V SUVs, and the Odyssey Minivan.

Honda's Acura division also posted record car sales for the month, with individual records set for the TL and TSX sedans.

Honda seems to be faring well lately!

You can read more about the records here:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/05/02/005420.html
    EXCEPT for the Acura division and the hybrid Accord and hybrid Civic. :sick:
    You'll note I didn't say all individual models hit records, just that the Honda division as well as several light trucks and Acura sedans which hit individual sales records.

It's no wonder the Accord Hybrid doesn't sell at record levels...when an Accord I-4s are achieving mid and upper 30s on the highway, for about $10k+ less than the hybrid.
    Totally agree with you (although the hybrid Accord has a lot more power), but $10K is a lot of money and the l-4 is plenty quick enough.

Just bought my first Honda (Odyssey EX-L) and I have to say it is a great minivan. Being my first minivan (and shamefully, I have to admit that I was a little against buying a minivan but my wife insisted), I cannot stay away from it. Since we bought it, I have only driven my SUV (Mazda Tribute) to work and back and find myself finding excuses to drive the Odyssey. It is a much smoother and luxurious ride than my Tribute (loaded V6 with all the options). I swear the Odyssey is faster and handles much better. It is definitely more quiet and is more comfortable. I love the Odyssey cockpit, all the controls are in the right places and easy to use (intuitive comes to mind). the power sliding doors are wonderful, and it is so much easier handling a car seat (we have a nine month old) in the van vs the Tribute, or our previous sedan (Nissan Altima).

Anyone on the fence buying a minivan for fear of hurting your image, go drive the Odyssey! (I have to admit though, I also like the exterior of the 06 Sienna very much, especially the front end. It looks Lexus-like)...
    You are right about the Hybrid's power...it would be a good substitute for a TL if you want the TL for its engine, but the styling of the Acura is what most people go for (I love it too!).

But for me, and many buyers, the 166 hp I-4 is more than enough power, and the low gas bills are just icing on the cake! (not to mention the $$ saved on initial purchase vs. the Hybrid).

That looks nice, kind of reminds me of the new Sedona (which isn't a bad thing), but it isn't the radical design some claimed was coming. Just a natural evolution of the DCX.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    That looks nice, kind of reminds me of the new Sedona (which isn't a bad thing), but it isn't the radical design some claimed was coming. Just a natural evolution of the DCX. "

That does look nice.

But I thought the radical part was going to be the 300-inspired front grill. Still have to see that...
    Well, it's clear the sliding doors have roll-down windows. And the rear windows pop out too. I was surprised the Ody didn't have the rear poppers, but I suppose the FM Antenna being there nixed that. Is it just me, or that a shorty van and not a grand?
    It certainly looks like a SWB model.

There is no grill or headlights, but you can see part of the design language that is going to be used. Looks most similar to a Pacifica best I can tell.
    Also reminds me of the styling on the new Jeep Cherokee. Not bad looking, and definitely more distinctive than all the other Caravans/T&Cs on the road. I think I like what I see so far.. Let's just hope they update the interior layout and materials.
    Just heard from a friend yesterday, that Ralph Gilles (300 fame designer) says DCX is significantly increasing spending to upgrade the interiors of all their future vehicles. Here's hoping for the best!
    We really liked the T&C Touring model we drove when we were shopping, and that was one area (interior fit and finish/layout) that we felt was lacking.

Wow the future minivan market is looking pretty good for consumer choice. Between the Odyssey, Sienna, new Sedona/Entourage, and future DCX van it will be a tight field. It will be interesting to see what Honda and Toyota do in in the next couple years to counter some of these worthy challengers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Honda add more standard equipment at no charge (tire pressure monitoring, backup sensors, power liftgate, better radio get my vote!)
    I'm also hearing of a more comfortable and flexible Stown N Go system, 275hp V6 and 6 spd auto tranny. We'll know more when the 2007 Pacifica arrives in a few months - that platform is to be very similar to next gen Minivans.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I also heard it will have a six speed tranny and a lot more electronics inside. They are saying that there will be much more of a difference between the Dodge looks and the Chrysler. Hope that's true. My Brother with the 2001 Plymouth minivan was going to buy a 2006 Dodge minivan, but I talked him into waiting until next year when the 2008's are out.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Are the new DC minis going to be an early 2007 introduction, or in the fall, or does no one know yet?

Also, anyone know if the short wheel base version will still exist with the redesign?

The best for us personally would be a short wheel base version with Stow and Go, though I would guess there isn't enough floor length to do this in a short wheel base version.
    Wow, throw in more standard safety features (stability control, standard airbags all around, traction control, etc) and it sounds like the DCX vans are going to be the leader on paper.

I loved the Stow N Go (guarantee more minivans will have this feature in the upcoming years), but both my wife and I felt the seats were uncomfortable for long trips (which we like to take with friends). If DCX addresses this issue with and adds a more powerful engine w/ at least a 5sp tranny, they will have addressed most of my concerns (along with an updated interior with better materials as you have already mentioned). Too bad we could not have waited a few more years to buy (I never like to buy any vehicle in its first model year or after a major refresh).

My only question is price. Addressing all these areas will not be cheap, I wonder how much it will drive-up the cost of the DCX minivan lineup?

Kia and Hyundai have proven you can offer a loaded van at a great price but Hyundai (they own Kia) has also seen profitability plunge. If they ever want to be as profitable as Toyota/Honda they are going to have to stop offering massive incentives to get people to buy their vans. I see Chrysler/GM/Ford facing the same issue (although GM/Ford seem to be adopting a model where the MSRP/Invoice prices are lower and they are trying to stop offering massive incentives). I hope DCX adopts this model as well. I was shocked at the MSRP/Invoice prices of the DCX vans we drove compared to what we could pay for them (in some cases it was almost 10K off MSRP).
    They are saying that there will be much more of a difference between the Dodge looks and the Chrysler. Hope that's true

Hopefully there will be a much larger differentiation between the vans as opposed to the Dodge Durango/Chrysler Aspen twins. These things are nearly identical!