Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    I think all your choices are great ones. You'll get the most space with the minivans, but the CUV's are a really nice option particularly for bigger kids. I say test drive all of them and pick out the one you like the best. Overall reliability should be good with all of them.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think you ought to try to narrow it down a bit first.

My suggestion? Go to an Auto Show. Take the kids.

Sure, they'll probalby want to look at the sports cars, but get everyone to sit inside each vehicle you are considering. Have the kids hop in to the 3rd row. Ask them if they're OK back there. Ask if they think there is room for their friends.

I was leaning towards a crossover SUV (specifically a Subaru Tribeca) after an excellent 9 year ownership experience with a Forester, but my kids were so elated with all the space in a minivan that I caved in.

Their reactions sold me. "THIS IS AWESOME! LOOK AT ALL THE SPACE! I CAN BRING MY FRIENDS ALONG!"

Stuff like that.

If it were up to me alone, I'd have bought a Tribeca. But I was outvoted - everyone else in the family wanted the extra space.

See how your kids react when they sit inside several different models.
  • nikbertnikbert Member Posts: 20
    Thanks guys. Looks like we "need" 3 rows of seating.

Choices currently are:

van - sienna, ody, 08 t&c

cuv - 08 highlander, 07 pilot, maz cx9, 3 GM siblings, 08 tribeca

wagons - ford freestyle(er taurus x), pacifica, mazda5

unfortunately, i have a few months to do "reasearch" and confuse myself! ;)

Don't want a very big vehicle - wish mazda5 was better! or MPV was back...or ford FS/pacifica were smaller/better.

Anyhoo, its probably gonna be sienna, 08 highlander (even hybrid), pilot or tribeca...

let see!

- peace.
    This might help, check out ALG resale value ratings:

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

At least one factor to consider in your purchase.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Sedona resale value is NO WORSE than the Sienna resale.

I tried to trade off my 2006 Sienna after owning it a few months when it had less than 3,000 miles and the Toyota/Dodge dealership said it was worth only $ 19,000 Trade In on a new 2006 GC SXT. That my folks, is an $ 8,000 depreciation. A new GC SXT does not depreciate that much. :shades:
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Vehicle trade in values and resale values are not comparable. Additionally, all vehicles depreciate at least 15% just registering it. Your vehicle would have sold around here very quickly for 5K to 10k more than they gave you for it.
    If you really tried hard to sell it you could get a lot more.

I found used 05-06 XLEs were still in the upper 20s, it was ridiculous. Close to the new price.

The model I got was $25k new, about $21k used. Local dealers use them (8 passenger LE models) as shuttle vans for service, so they're always available.

For $4k more, I bought new. And keep in mind these are rentals and shuttle vans, so they're fairly hard miles.

Sell it private party, you'll get a lot more. I'd have paid you more than $19k.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Sell it private party, you'll get a lot more

Pretty much applies to anything. Compare residual/resale values to the original selling price, not the MSRP and you'll find there's not a huge difference between the best and worst. My Odyssey was $6,000 more than a similar T&C back in 2005. It currently books $6,600 more than the same T&C according to edmunds. Not much benefit there considering the extra out of pocket on the front end. Bad deal if you're paying interest on that money. I'm not a price shopper so that wasn't my concern but anyone really worried about the cost (and future resale value) needs to to the calculation and figure it out for themselves. The folks giving out awards for best resale value based on MSRP aren't doing anyone any favors.
    hansienna is complaining about the offer he got, but I was shopping used and saw an 05 Grand Caravan SXT for $14,900. Siennas were $3-4 grand higher at least.

Now, we gotta keep in mind this is the asking price for a dealer selling a used car, the highest price you'll see. Private party sale would be lower, and trade-in wholesale would be *much* lower. I bet if it was a trade the owner got $10-11k tops.

That new car smell is very expensive. ;)
    Excellent summary: "The folks giving out awards for best resale value based on MSRP aren't doing anyone any favors."

Those fine folks would provide MUCH more valuable information if they compared resale to the actual selling price. ;)

The amazing thing is that one self proclaimed consumer advocate can't negotiate a discounted price for the vehicles they buy to compare. :lemon:
    True, but I can see some difficulty trying to apply a number across the board for all consumers. Incentives/market varies by region as well as some dealers are crooks and others are not.

But I feel comfortable that I could research this fairly effectively and within 48 hours have firm sale prices from various regions that could be averaged and used as the sales price. Perhaps 48 hours worth of research is too much for most journalists these days.....

But even a $2,000 fudge factor would make things far more accurate than using MSRP. You KNOW the leasing companies are factoring these discounts into THEIR residuals!
    Those fine folks would provide MUCH more valuable information if they compared resale to the actual selling price

ALG does that (they're an Edmunds partner and use TMV). TMV is still not exact, but it's far closer than MSRP.
    The "fine folks" who pay MSRP (or above) are NOT ALG or Edmunds although Edmund's Final Write Up of their 1999 Odyssey ignored the fact Edmunds paid ABOVE MSRP and then used MSRP and their TMV instead of the actual selling price to give a less than honest dollar amount for the Odyssey depreciation. :sick:

Isn't depreciation the difference between the actual purchase price and the actual selling price? :confuse:
    Depends on who you ask, I suppose.

I agree, though. If someone paid $5k over sticker for their first Mini Cooper, drove it for a year, and then sold it for MSRP, their actual depreciation was $5k, yet some books will say it was zero.

Of course cars that had markups have good "residuals", the owners paid a pretty penny to get them in the first placed.
  • hondafordhondaford Member Posts: 51
    Went to look at a Sienna yesterday. Only ones on lot were LE, without power seats. With drivers seat ALL the way back it was too cramped. Knees sticking up, felt tight to steering wheel. Have not found this to be so in the three windstares I have owned, or Honda I have driven. does Toyota with power seat go back farther? Salesman did not think so, but he was young
    I had a similar problem with the Sienna XLE Limited AWD I had for a month with power seats.
    Must be something wrong with the seats of the 2 Siennas involved because the Sienna driver has 42.9 inches of leg room while the Odyssey driver has 40.8 inches.
    The Sienna driver also has more head room at 42.0 inches compared to the Odyssey driver's 40.9 inches.
    Yeah, but you're comparing numbers on paper. They don't always work out the same in the real world. Plus Toyota would never be creative with their numbers would they?

I always get a kick out of their specs of the previous generation Tundra. They claim my 2005 Tundra is 79.3" wide, compared to my 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 which spec's at 79.9" wide. I think Toyota is measuring to the outside mirrors to come up with that number, because they're not even close to being the same width. I question everything Toyota says these days.
    The distance between knees and the steering wheel can be increased by telescoping the steering wheel out and tilting it upward and by lowering the driver's seat and moving the seat all the way rearward. ;)

Since I am not very tall, I like my Sienna LE power seat raised as high as it will go and moved forward considerably. The driver's seat can move forward sufficiently so my 5' 0" tall wife is comfortable. I have the steering wheel telescoped in as far as it will go and the tilt in the mid range.
    I liked the Sienna a lot for many reasons - and still do, but would never again buy the current configuration.

Mine was a 2005 XLE Limited AWD. I had mine a month during which I tried every combination of telescoping/tilt wheel, and power seat position possible. There was never a position I found comfortable. That should never occur in MSRP an 43K vehicle. I am 5'11" and 185 pounds.

The poor comfort was one of the many reasons I forced them to take the car back after one month - the rest were quality and workmanship issues.

I sat in a 2007 recently hoping they had changed the arrangement - there was nothing different, so I was not able to buy it.

I tried the Oddessy as well and found the seating possibilities far more comfortable but still not acceptable due the overall cramped cockpit area.

I still recommend the Toyota line as a fine choice in vehicles, but one needs to be very selective in picking one, and there are now many other makes to choose from.
    Definitely play with the tilt and telescoping steering wheel. It adjust over a wide range.

I'm 6' tall and I don't even nearly put the seat all the way back. In fact I could probably slide it back several more inches if I had to.

I set my left foot flat on the floor. The dead pedal is at an odd angle (I had the same problem with the Odyssey), so I don't use it.

Just crossed 1000 miles and in terms of pure comfort the Sienna is supreme. For twisties the seats could use higher bolstering on the sides but I save that type of driving for my Miata. :shades:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    This(Domestic Vs Foreign) should spice up this minivan discussion a bit. :sick:

Though it is no longer available in the U.S market, the Mazda MPV stands out heads and shoulders above the rest of its foreign teammates, who shall remain nameless... and rightfully so.

Really this battle is over before the bell rings. GM...out!
    Ford... K'Oed For team domestic it is Big Bad Chrysler standing alone. There is no other competition. So, maybe this discussion should be renamed "Chrysler Vs Foreign"?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • azjostazjost Member Posts: 1
    Which minivan would you buy, and why?

Here are my options.

1) 2006 Toyota Sienna LE, 30,000 miles owned by a rental company. $21,000, $10000 down, 10% interest. I went in and gave a $1000 deposit. But then the rental place kept letting a customer drive it for 2 weeks and refused to give it to my dealer. Finally after 2 weeks, I said "I don't want it now!" by email, and that day I got an email from my dealer that he had gone to pick it up (after my email). It arrived at my dealer, front tires are worn. Dealer said this is not unusual, they get cars that way, and as the dealer, he'll replace them. I just feel very dicked around with and like the van is no longer worth it. Buying this van will exhaust all of our money, and if it needs repairs, we'll be in deep crap. But then again, it is a newer Sienna....

2) Save money and get a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for same or less miles for less money. Have easier payments and money to fix it if needed. But the quality is not that of Sienna, and we need something that we are going to drive for a long time.

3) New Dodge Grand Caravan for about 21k. Same problem with exhausting our money, but at least maybe no repairs for a long time and a good warranty.

4) Get a different Toyota Sienna for less money (About $14k-- the same as a newer Dodge with less miles), but it would be older (maybe a 2003 or 2004) with about 45-60k miles.

Are there people who would rather have an older Sienna with more miles than a newer Dodge with less? All input is appreciated.

I've had a lot of bad luck with a Dodge Shadow and Plymouth Voyager, so I am reluctant to buy a Dodge/Chrysler product. I want reliability. But I am also afraid of buying a used product with payments that I have to repair.

If we buy Dodge, a family Dodge mechanic will service the van as need without ripping us off. However, we were fed up with always servicing the Voyager, and wanted something reliable. If we buy Toyota, we will be at the mercy of a stranger, but hopefully not often.

What would you buy?
    Last time I looked, my Sienna has the HIGHEST percentage "Made in USA" of any minivan. :shades:
    Mazda MPV stands out heads and shoulders above the rest

I strongly considered the MPV for a long time, but just could not pull the trigger. It did have some really cool features:

* was truly "mini" and drove that way
    * side-by-slide is best 2nd row in the business
    * 2nd row windows open

But, it's also missing some key features:

* can't fit a 4'x8' inside
    * no split-folding 3rd row
    * HP adequate, but well shy of the best
    * no gas mileage advantage for that sacrifice in HP

Once the better vans copied the 2nd row windows it no longer stood out. It had to compete on one thing alone - price.

The CX9 replaced it and just look at what people are paying - $10 grand more than MPV transaction prices.
    Used is used. That makes it a tough call. Buying a used rental car is like buying a matress from a motel. I'd say no thanks.

Spend more to get a base Toyota Sienna CE and sacrifice a few features. You can get them for $22k or so. You still get all the airbags, 266hp, and up to 8 seats. You can get stability control in a package and still stay close to the Dodges in price.

But used rental vs. brand new, I'd pick new. New anything, brand hardly even matters at that point.
    Buying a rental car at any price is a very chancy undertaking. They are not to be confused with lease car returns which, although somewhat risky, are far and away a better risk than rental returns. Rentals are beat to death by half the drivers who get behind the wheel (I am one of those!). I worked in auto repair for many years and also in rental cars for a shorter period.

The only way it would be close to a bargain is if you get it for wholesale book or less, and even then it will be a worry. If you do buy it get an additional bumper to bumper warranty with it, even if you have to pay for it.

Again, a chancy undertaking at best.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would get the year old Grand Caravan; since you already have a Dodge mechanic, then repairs down the road shouldn't be an issue, and you'll have the money to pay for it.

However, if you're going to finance, the new ones probably have some killer financing deals on them, given that the 08s are going to launch soon...

Either way I would not get the rental Sienna; this particular model just seems to be too much of a risk.
    GOOD advice to seriously consider a NEW Sienna CE or NEW GC where you get the full warranty without the un-necessary options of the higher priced models.

The Sienna CE has a more comfortable front passenger seat than the Sienna LE and does not have the obnoxious shiny circles around the instrument gauges that the LE has.

BEST advice is to get the Dodge where you know a reliable mechanic that will not rip you off with overpriced Toyota or Honda service.
  • bobw92bobw92 Member Posts: 11
    Without trying to sound like a total jerk, why is a Town & Country made by DaimlerChrysler AG (Symbol DMX) headquartered in Stugartt, Germany is considered a “domestic” van, but Toyota Motor Corp (Symbol TM) headquartered in Aichi, Japan is considered a “foreign” van? Especially since most Town & Country’s are produced in Windsor, Ontario (a “foreign” country), and all Siennas are produced in Georgetown, Kentucky (the USA)

I thought the only vehicle manufacturers headquartered in the USA were Ford and GM?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    You haven't heard? Chrysler got a divorce from MB :)
    I thought that even though the sale has been announced, Cerberus hasn't closed on Chrysler yet. I think the closing date is sometime this month... So technically, any Sebrings or Pacificas being produced this month would still say Produced by DaimlerChrysler AG on them...

So when are they going to change those little stickers from Produced by DaimlerChrysler AG to Produced by Chrysler Corp.?
    Imported from Canada from a German-owned company. ;)

Cerburus is american, though, right?
    REMEMBER: The Chrysler T&C and Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan are made in TWO places : Windsor, Ontario, Canada AND Fenton, MO, USA .

My 2002 T&C LX was made in Ontario, Canada and my Sienna LE was made in Indiana, USA. There were NO defects in the Chrysler T&C made in Canada BUT the Sienna had the right side 2nd row bucket seat installed incorrectly so it could not be removed and could not tilt forward for access to the rear. :sick:

My daughter's 1999 GC SE was made in Fenton, MO and it had zero defects. Apparently the DaimlerChrysler quality control was superior to that of Toyota. :shades:
    So your Canadian import had fewer problems than your domestic built van. :D

Zero defects? Wow. That's a first. ;)

I have a neighbor (who in fairness carries heavy carpet samples in his) but he goes through transmissions like I go through toilet paper on his Dodges.
  • stacyvbstacyvb Member Posts: 1
    AZJOST:

Regarding Your Option #2: I am also looking at Chrysler/Dodge minivans and was able to find multiple 2006 Grand Caravans/Town & Countrys (long wheel base) with 15,000 miles for $16,900. If you can live with the shorter wheel base, I found a bunch, also with 15-20,000 miles, for $13,900. This is in St. Louis, Missouri. I can provide links if you need them.

This way you still have at least 1.5 years and 15-20,000 miles left on the warranty, and you are spending substantially under $20,000.

We haven't pulled the trigger yet. Ironically, we are waiting to see if my parents want to sell us their used Sienna at a loss. But if that falls through, we determined the Caravan/TC was by far the best option for our budget.

Also, I know most people's car opinions are anecdotal, but we had GREAT experiences with a '90 Dodge Shadow and a '97 Plymouth Voyager. We drove the Shadow for 8 years until it was stolen and are still driving the Voyager with minimal problems. I should note that both were bought NEW. However, I wouldn't hesitate to give a late model/low mileage Chrysler minivan a chance.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I have a neighbor (who in fairness carries heavy carpet samples in his) but he goes through transmissions like I go through toilet paper on his Dodges. "

I wonder if he's loading it up more than the specs allow :confuse:
    That's quite possible. But don't a lot of people do that? Overload that is.

He should get a Sprinter. ;)
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    That's quite possible. But don't a lot of people do that? Overload that is. "

Maybe. But I bet those people (in any brand of car) also see their transmission failure rates skyrocket
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Haven't you heard that a 2008 major redesign is coming for DCX vans?

In metro Detroit, one can buy a new 2007 DCX minivan for 8-12k off MSRP. Heck, one dealer was advertizing half off MSRP on a base T&C, a $22k MSRP. The transaction price on my 07 T&C Signature Series was over $11k less than MSRP of $33.8k. So, a T&C Touring with no options and MSRP of ~$29k should sell for under $20k. IMHO, the base T&C with Popular Equipment Group is the best value if you don't need StowNGo or carry 4x8 sheets with the tailgate closed. Should be had for under $15k out the door for a brand new 2007 vehicle.

This is my second minivan as I have a 2005 T&C Touring lease that will be returned soon. I have 38k miles on that van wirth no problems except the front brake pads/rotors I replaced @ 30k miles. The parts cost $75, rather inexpensive.
    Bargains without a doubt, but be careful because a lot of safety features don't come on those base models. Things like side curtain air bags and stability control, I believe.

We did price an SXT Grand Caravan, saw a left over 2006 for $20.6k, but it lacked the curtain air bags. By the time you added that, the price was just too close to the Sienna.

So you can get a bargain, but you're going to sacrifice something. I wasn't willing to give up those 2 key safety features (SAC and VSC).

Toyota's packages are confusing, but you need a PhD to understand Dodge's.

Also - how can you even tell if a Town & Country is the short wheelbase or long wheelbase? I was so confused I just looked for Dodges because you see Grand in the name.

Sto-n-Go was cool but the seats themselves were not very comfortable. Still, very innovative.

I did check out the 08 interior at the New York show. They had a static display. You'll be able to make the 2nd and 3rd rows face each other, and there's even a small table there you could play cards on.

Leg room is a bit tight but 4 kids could probably squeeze in that space.

Again, though, innovative. Nobody sells more vans. I think the 08 models will make those safety features standard so that should make it easier to shop.
    I will agree that Chrysler is practically blowing out the 07 minivans. If I were in the market, it'd be hard to pass up a Signature Series T&C.

However, everybody in the minivan market is doing some significant discounting. It's just that Chrysler is doing a little more.

And for the Town & Countrys, the "Base" models are the SWB ones. LX and up are LWB, and since Stow N Go is standard on the LWB models, if a 2007 Town & Country doesn't have Stow N Go, it's a SWB model.
    OK, that's why none of the models I considered lacked Sto-n-go. I definitely wanted the long model.

I have seen short ones for $13k, but that's a 4 cylinder bare-bones model I'd avoid even as a rental.
    NO Chrysler T&C has a 4 cylinder engine. The SWB T&C has the 3.3L V6 as STANDARD equipment.

However, the base Caravan SE comes with a 4 cylinder engine but has the 3.3L V6 as optional. :shades:
    You have shown why it is BEST to buy a vehicle when a new design is coming out. NEVER buy a new design the first year.

Toyota now has $ 1500 Rebate on the 2007 Sienna even though the 2008 Sienna will be a carbon copy of the 2007. There was NO rebate when I got my 2006 Sienna.

The ONLY problem at end of a model is finding the model with color and options desired. :shades:
    I think most people want the long model- hence why they're discontinuing it.

Even most rental fleets go for the long ones... Resale is probably better on those too...
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Chrysler is planning on dropping the MSRP quite significantly on the new 08 vans. See Chrysler to cut minivan prices up to $3,585

I think this is a better strategy than doing the huge rebates.

BTW, I'm off this discussion for now - thought I'd end up buying a van, but after Honda discontinued the incentive on the Odyssey, went back over to the Pilot. Definitely tradeoffs between the van and SUV, but between the $3500 price difference and the AWD (I'm in Minnesota), the Pilot made more sense to me.
    Oh yeah, I didn't specify Chrysler, and since they're twins I treat them as one option (same with Sedona/Entourage). 4 banger Dodges go for $13k around here.

Pilot costs more than the Ody, even with FWD. For AWD you'll spend a bunch more, but if that fits the bill then go for it.
    Lower prices do make more sense, don't they have a $4000 rebate? At one point they did.

$3585 lower still means the price is some $400 higher. I bet we see much smaller rebates, but by year's end.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Pilot costs more than the Ody, even with FWD. For AWD you'll spend a bunch more, but if that fits the bill then go for it.
    Juice,
    It's a bit complicated but I was comparing an EX-L Ody with an EX AWD Pilot. [with Odyssey, I had to go to the Leather seating because we didn't like the EX cloth, but preferred the cloth in the Pilot]. Before taxes/fees, the Pilot EX is $3600 cheaper than the EX-L Ody would be, for me: $25k versus $28600 (lowest local quotes). With taxes here, it's $3800 cheaper OTD.