Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think eventually after a while the giant rebates will be back.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    Why would you not consider the AWD Sienna? That has all the room of a minivan plus AWD! I live in MN too, and I have to have the space of a minivan, so AWD Sienna it is. Love the car :shades:
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Why would you not consider the AWD Sienna? That has all the room of a minivan plus AWD! I live in MN too, and I have to have the space of a minivan, so AWD Sienna it is.
    That's a good question. Have to say the run-flats were an issue. I also preferred the Odyssey in general to the Sienna, but the big money difference between Odyssey & Pilot was hard to pass up. But, an AWD Sienna would also have been good.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    we didn't like the EX cloth

Us too! It's terrible! Mouse fur, peach fuzz, call it what you want but it felt cheap and anything but durable.

You know what's funny? We liked the cheaper LX' cloth a whole lot better. It was felt-like, luxurious in comparison to the EX' cloth.

That's so funny that you felt the same way.

We found the leather on the EX-L too stiff so we were going to have to compromise somewhere. We really wanted the power doors.

Try an AWD Sienna LE. You can get nicer fabrics and AWD for less than that Pilot.
    Try an AWD Sienna LE. You can get nicer fabrics and AWD for less than that Pilot.
    That's a good thought (as MNRep also suggested). An AWD LE package 2 would have been my choice, but those work out at about $27500 plus fees locally, i.e. $2500 more than the Pilot.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Do you these prices could be accurate? :shades:
    But you get power sliding doors on both sides.

After having them for a while, let me tell you, they are *far* more useful than power windows or power mirrors. You use them four times (open/close/open/close) every single time you drive anywhere! When was the last time you moved your mirrors?

Before hansienna says they're slow - I disagree, the remote has enough range that they are completely open before we even reach the vehicle walking towards it.

It's big plus when the kids fall asleep at the end of a trip, because I carry them out and then just press a button.

You also get a lot more room, better gas mileage, more horsepower and more torque. Much smoother ride, IMO.

Pilot is an SUV so it has more cool factor.

Only you can decide if it's worth $2500 more, though.
    Just reporting my experience with my 2006 Sienna LE that has only the right side power sliding door. I am GLAD that the left side sliding door can be manually opened and closed quickly. :shades:

Power mirrors are MUCH more beneficial than power sliding doors. When I travel at night, I adjust the power mirrors on both sides downward to keep glare out of my eyes on the open road...but adjust upward when driving in urban areas.

I would never again pay the extra $$$$ to get the Sienna LE with costly options instead of the Sienna CE because the CE has the same engine and transmission; the CE has NO shiny circles around the gauges and shiny surfaces on dash to reflect glare from sunlight; AND the Sienna CE has a more comfortable front passenger seat. :shades:
    No thanks, I'm happy with my seat, love the power doors (our favorite feature by far), and wanted things like the 6CD changer and tinted windows.

The shiny circles never bothered me, I didn't even notice until you mentioned them. The steering wheel audio controls are beginning to spoil me, too.

CE with package 2 at least adds cruise and stability control, but dealers just don't carry them in stock, so good luck finding one.

I'd also miss the fold-flat front passenger seat, heated mirrors (even clears water when it rains), lit visors (wifey requirement), and the roof rack which I've already used 3 times.

About the only thing we seem to agree on is that we can both get excellent mileage from our vans! ;)
    The prices for the 2008 Chrysler vans were from a press release by Chrysler. They are accurate, at least for the first couple months.

Chrysler power sliding doors operate manually without any addition resistance from the power system. The best design so far.

If you have to adjust your side mirrors from headlight glare, they are aimed too far in. There's no reason to see the same object behind you in three mirrors. Reference
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Hearing all the people who've had problems with their power sliding doors makes me glad my Ody is an LX. I can pull the doors open and close them quicker then the motor, which comes in handy when it's pouring outside. As long as I have my arms I don't need power doors.
    They were a problem early on but I think they ironed out the bugs a while ago.

Ratings in Consumer Reports reflect an improvement in body hardware.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Flip a switch, power doors turned off. Everyone happy and vehicle is far more sellable on the tail-end. I personally wouldn't go without the power doors. Plus, if you open them up as you approach all that hot air clears out quick!
    Plus, my 4 year old likes that he can do it all by himself. I bet he'd struggle with the weight of a manual sliding door.
    We also agree that the Sienna has an excellent turning radius and a very comfortable driver's seat. :shades:
    True that. :shades:
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    Have to say the run-flats were an issue. I had concerns about the run flats too. However, I will just go to a mini spare and a can of flat fix when these run flats are no more. After 12K miles in the last 6 months, I have found the ride and seats to be light years ahead of the Daimler Chrysler vans I drove for the previous 15 years ;)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I love both power sliding doors and the power rear hatch!! In the summer, when minivan has been parked in hot sun for hours, as you approach it, you open all three doors and the heat is purged from the interior!! love it love it love it!!
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Member Posts: 58
    I am in the market looking for a vehicle that can seat 5 comfortably. Not sure whether to buy a new or used one, mostly inclined towards buying a used one. I drive a Mazda6 and my wife drives 2000 Xterra, 6 has 15K & Xterra has only 55K miles, Xterra won't fetch me more than $7K, so hate to sell it. I don't want to give up the 6 either.

Here are my requirements:
    1. Need seating for 3 adults, 1 booster and a rear facing infant car seat.
    2. Will be driven mostly during weekends and probably less than 6K per year.
    3. Need room to fit a infant stroller and an umbrella stroller plus room for other stuff.
    4. Do not want to pay more than $15K or $16K for a used one (will rather buy a new one), open to buying a new one if I can get a good deal.
    5. More importance to reliability and safety features rather than luxury.
    6. Less than 50K miles preferred in a used one.

Any suggestions please?
    The need to seat 5 comfortably would point me towards a minivan that had 3 seats in the middle row. That leaves the rear cargo area completely empty for the most flexible cargo needs.

In my humble opinion, the van that does that best is the Sienna 8 seater, and by a wide margin.

I mean wide literally, too. Check the 8th seat, it's wider than the Odyssey's.

We got a new 2007, but had similar needs - 3 adults (including our nanny), and 2 kids in boosters.

The nanny can fit comfortably between the 2 kids. She has her own seat belt, and it's seat mounted, so no hunting for a seat belt on the ceiling.

In your case, I would put the rear facing infant in the middle, you can even move it front and center, closer to his/her mom. The 3rd adult and the child in the booster would sit in the outboard seats.

You have more cargo space behind that 2nd row then your XTerra does behind the first row. The space is massive.

Given your price range, I would look for a 2004 or 2005 Sienna CE or LE, make sure it's an 8 passenger model.

Of course any 7 passenger van would manage, but you'll have to penalize the 3rd adult by sending them to the 3rd row, i.e. the time out chair. ;)
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Member Posts: 58
    Thanks - I will check out the 8 passenger Sienna. I have read most of the messages you have posted on the Sienna and other forums, very informative.
    Thanks. I try to be. :shades:
    Brand new 2007 base model Town & Country. Remove the 2nd row bench and move the 3rd row bench to the middle row. Can be had for under $15K out the door in many markets, depending on equipment. Bonus, lifetime powertrain warratny effective today.
    Saw that warranty thing, that's crazy. They're going to pay out for a lot of transmissions. Life time?!

Seems like a really big gamble for Cerburus. That's gonna be a long-term liability for them.

Great for the buyer, though.

The Catch: it's not transferable, and that might make residuals worse than they are now, i.e. makes more sense to buy new because that's the only way you get the warranty.

Of the really long warranties, only Suzuki's is fully transferable (7/100).
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    "They're going to pay out for a lot of transmissions. Life time?!
    ============================================================

The transmission problems, which were some of the worst in the industry, ceased being an issues several years ago. They now rank at least average or better among all makes. Those memories lingers on though and that is the driving force behind the warranties.
    Just keep your receipts for ATF fluid services to be safe.
    I will agree that this is an excellent deal in terms of minivans, especially if you keep them forever.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    My Honda dealer has a similar lifetime warranty scheme. The trick is you have to have all your maintenance done by them. I'm sure Chrysler is doing the same thing and requiring all work to be done by their dealers to keep the warranty going.
    "... requiring all work to be done by their dealers to keep the warranty going."

It has been unlawful for many decades for an auto manufacturer to require all work be done by the dealer to keep the warranty in place.

A dealers own "special" extended warranty, which is separate from the manufacturers warranty, may contain that requirement in some states.

The Chrysler warranty is the manufacturers warranty.

Anyone who encounters difficulties with the dealer accepting the maintenance work of a lawfully authorized repair facility should contact Federal authorities for assistance.
    "Just keep your receipts for ATF fluid services to be safe."
    ============================================================

A good idea; but be sure to consult the service manual to see if a change in fluids is recommended at all - if not it could invite a confrontation with a service writer if the trans does fail. Always use exactly the fluid type/brand that the manufacturer advises.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    This is all I have on it so far:

Warranty
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    All of the details (and fine print) can be found here:

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=23692

EDIT: looks like the forum is running a bit slow (something wrong with the host so be patient...it's got good info there).
    Thank you, Magnussen-Moss. :shades:
  • musscmussc Member Posts: 3
    Do you think Dodge/Chrysler will extend it's great rebates in the wake of it's lifetime powertrain warranty. I just looked on their website and they aren't offering ANY.

Do you think we missed the boat by not purchasing one by today? I could have gotten a new Dodge Crew Cab for less than $20,000 (over $10,000 off the MSRP)

As far as the resale price, why would anyone ever need to sell a Dodge if they have a lifetime warranty. They could always pass it on to their kids and keep it in their name. There won't be as many on the market, which will naturally raise the resale price eventhough the warranty is not transferable. Also if your engine and trans. blow, and you get them both replaced, that may also be a good time to sell.
    Well, not many kids want to drive around in a minivan. They don't need the space, it uses more gas, and having that many passengers in a vehicle they're driving is very distracting and it actually the #1 risk factor for teen driving.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well, not many kids want to drive around in a minivan. They don't need the space, it uses more gas, and having that many passengers in a vehicle they're driving is very distracting and it actually the #1 risk factor for teen driving.

And, hel-looo, it is a minivan, which is like, SO not cool, ya know? ;)
    My kids think the van is cool, but then again the older one is just 8. They don't have those hang-ups and insecurities that teens have. ;)

Actually, they only care that they can bring their friends along and watch a movie to boot.
    I couldn't stay away :)
    In order of sales:
    Odyssey 14141 (-19.6%)
    Caravan/T&C 13458 (approx -42%)
    SIENNA 11,599 (-12.7%)

Thud.
    Do you have YTD numbers?

Honda had the annoying Mr. Opportunity deals with low-rate financing. I'd except better seasonal sales for them in the summer.

The 08 Sienna already started production, in fact dealers are already getting them. Bluetooth and standard VSC are the highlights.
    YTD: (07) / (06) / (% change in DSR)
    Odyssey 94,479 106,815 -12.0%
    Town & Country 81,615 100,443 -19%
    Caravan 110,507 138,617 -21%
    SIENNA 84,948 94,619 -10.7%

BTW, Odyssey had an ok June (down 4% compared to 06), but then discontinued the cash incentive (although the financing incentive was still there). This brought it back to its previous 20% drop in daily selling rate from 2006. Sienna is doing pretty well considering the drops in the others.
    So combined Chrysler is still King. I doubt the lifetime warranty will hurt.

Still, even with the warranty, the 08s can't arrive too soon.
    Sienna beats the segment average (% change), probably due to the 3.5l V6 engine. The 2GR is a gem, I tell ya.

The engine really was the deal maker for me, believe it or not. I was on the fence and after sampling the 3.5l I couldn't resist.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yeah, well, I didn't mind driving our van (a Granite Green 2000 Odyssey EX). I mean, it was quicker than my own car, had some nice features that my car didn't, and it sat up higher.

But it wasn't something you wanted to pick up a girl for your first date in. :) My own '96 Accord 4-door with plastic wheelcovers and a 4-cylinder/Automatic was still more "cool" than the van, by 16-year-old standards.
    So combined Chrysler is still King. I doubt the lifetime warranty will hurt.
    In YearToDate, yes. But what really surprised me for the July monthly figures was that, although Odyssey had another poor month (down 20% at a time when Pilot production in Alabama (Ody & Pilot share this assembly plant now) had slowed due to the 08 switchover for Pilot), at least in this month, it still outsold combined Chrysler. Not sure exactly why Chrysler vans fell so fast, but maybe it was the high fleet sales from earlier this year (March-May), and then a decision to pull back from fleet now, with 08s coming.
    I'm not sure what deals Chrysler had going on last month, but you're probably right, the drop is probably a reduction in fleet sales.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is interested in speaking with anyone currently considering purchasing a 2008 minivan. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by 1pm Eastern on Monday, August 6 with your daytime contact information.
    Did Honda EVER advertise a cash incentive for the Odyssey? I don't recall seeing it if they did. Interesting that the Chrysler twins still outsell the Odyssey + Sienna with all the bad reviews of the Caravan/Grand Caravan/T&C by the "Experts" who do not own any of them. IF I were buying a new minivan today, the Odyssey would be my first choice.

I don't like the "floaty-boaty" ride of my 2006 Sienna LE. My 2002 T&C LX felt more stable on winding, mountain Interstate 15 than the Sienna feels at the same speed. The Sienna gets marginally better gas mileage than the T&C got but has to shift down 2 gears on the same portions of I-15 where the lower powered T&C shifted down just one gear to maintain the same 75 MPH.

I also miss the many nice features the T&C had that are not on my more expensive Sienna. Reliability? Both had zero problems at 17,000 miles.
    No; Honda prefers to put up some 2.9% APR financing and dealer cash rebates in lieu of customer cash.

That, and special lease deals, but for me, I don't pay attention to them since I don't lease.
    Yeah, Honda has those annoying "Mr. Opportunity" ads all month long. Subsidized loans are the same as cash incentives to most people, though I pay cash so that didn't help me at all.

Plus, Toyota had cash *and* a low rate at one point. I just got the cash, though.

The Sienna doesn't handle as poorly as most people seem to think. Consumer Reports ran it through the emergency avoidance manuever at speeds higher than all the crossovers they tested last month: Outlook, Edge, Pacifica, Veracruz, and CX9. So much for Zoom Zoom. :D

I don't know if the T&C handles much better than the Pacifica, perhaps it does. :confuse:

Also, the 07 engine gained more than 10% extra torque. On the highway I'm only using 4th or 5th gears. If I enable cruise control it very rarely has to get out of 5th to maintain speeds, even climbing over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. :shades: