Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• teets18teets18 Member Posts: 28
    Sure, Suzukis of other models may have been reliable in the past, but can anyone provide a testimony about an Aerio with more than a minuscule 30K?
  • chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    I have 25,0000 miles on mine in 13 months. The gas sensor/gas tank issue was the only burr under the saddle. Mileage is at 32-33 mpg with the daily commute and weekend highway drives. I hope to pay it off in a couple more years, hold it for at least another year, and then get a new car soon after this one tops 100k. Who knows? Maybe I'll drive this 'til it becomes too expensive to keep.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Didn't you recently have an accident in your Aerio? I would have thought you would post how the car held up and how expensive it was to fix. I'm sure the owners in here would like to hear any info on the damage.

By the way, I recently added a tall wagon back to my collection. I bought a 93 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport. All I gotta say is WOW! If this thing was still being sold today, I would have gladly picked it over the Aerio. The 2.4 136 horse engine mated to an automatic feels much faster then my 5 speed Aerio did. It has much less wind noise, the handling is actually fun, and the ride is more compliant. The cargo space is flat out amazing! The Expo was a packaging miracle. It's a shame it didn't catch on.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    My wife was rear ended in heavy traffic by an uninsured motorist in a stolen car and had phony insurnace info, plates, phone numbers, etc. Car held up well, damage to bumper, 1/4 panel and back bar. It was fixed in 3 days at our Suzuki dealers body shop. It turned out great and the estimate was $750. Im sure glad we have returned to summer time blend of gas here without the heavy dose of Ethanol they add in winter. Power has picked up again and so has the MPG. With the A/C on all the time we are back up to 28,5 and 29.0 mpg in the daily city commute but in the winter it drops to 27 city which still isnt bad for an automatic.. Will check the highway mpg next weekend. Enjoy your Expo. The 93-94 models were the good years. I had an 86 Dodge Colt Vista tall boy 4 door wagon with 5 speed and 4X4.. It was made by Misibishi and was the forerunner that became the Expo. Worst car I ever owned but it was an 86. and they went to fuel injection in 87 I believe. I was in a Matrix a few days ago and I will take the Aerio any day. Check out a Scion xB for space but they have weak A/C So you still have the Tiburon?
    Yep, own 5 cars currently. 1984 VW GTI, 1990 Mazda RX7 convertible, 1993 Mitsu Expo LRV, 2003 Mitsu Diamante LS, and 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT. I bought the Expo because I missed the ability to take my dog places and needed something to carry dirty things around when needed (something my leather equipped cars can't do). One thing I did notice was how much larger the rear hatch opening is. You can slide a washer in its box in there without any problems, something the Aerio can't do due to its high floor. I think Suzuki should nix the understorage area and free up some room. Maybe put the storage in the side panels instead.

p.s. I hope the cop nailed the illegal driver, or did he leave the scene?
    Yep, own 5 cars currently. 1984 VW GTI, 1990 Mazda RX7 convertible, 1993 Mitsu Expo LRV, 2003 Mitsu Diamante LS, and 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT. I bought the Expo because I missed the ability to take my dog places and needed something to carry dirty things around when needed (something my leather equipped cars can't do). One thing I did notice was how much larger the rear hatch opening is. You can slide a washer in its box in there without any problems, something the Aerio can't do due to its high floor. I think Suzuki should nix the understorage area and free up some room. Maybe put the storage in the side panels instead.
  • pml27pml27 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Aerio SX w/ 41k on it, and I have had an ongoing issue w/ my 'service engine soon' light. Occasionally the light will come on and my car will not shift properly. It will start off in what feels like 3rd or 4th gear, and I will have to manually shift from 1st to Drive to get any power. Eventually the car will begin to shift on it's own.

I have had 2 input speed sensors replaced and a TCM but it still does this.

I notice it mostly after a cool morning and the car has sat in the sun all day while I'm at work. It has happened after the car was warmed up as well. I noticed on later models there is talk of an engine cool light, but mine doesn't have that, only the temperature guage lights.

My dealer has been unable to solve for 2 years now. Any suggestions?

On a statistical note, I only get about 23-25 miles per gallon, and that is 90% highway. I like the car for the space and pep, but have been dissappointed w/ gas mileage.
    Pete, we have an early 2002 SX with 23,000 miles on it and now get 26 to 29 mpg in the city depending on time of year and 31 to 32 on the highway. Find a different Suzuki service department or contact Suzuki directly and complain. Hopefully someone can diagnose the problem or has run into this before. Does your Overdrive on/off button and dash light work properly? What fault code is stored in the computer when this happens? Ask the dealer before contacting Suzuki in California. Let us all know when someone figores it out.
    FrenchCar -
    I purchased my Aerio in April of '02 shortly after they hit the market here in KC.

I've taken my vehicle to my dealer at least 12 times, and just had my issue pop up again two days ago. Right now my 'service engine soon' light is on, so I am scheduling a new appointment w/ the dealer.

I do know that in October of '03 they found a code, but didn't know what it meant. Suzuki sent a regional rep to work w/ my dealer and they still couldn't fix my issue.

As I said in my previous post, they replaced the input speed sensor twice, and the TCM. I don't have the code they found for the input speed sensors. It just says on the receipt that they have the diagnostic code indicating a bad input speed sensor. The code they found when they replaced the TCM was P0717. It says they checked Circuit 5-48 and 5-49 and found a faulty TCM.

I've been reviewing my owners manual, and it says the 'service engine soon' light is an indication of a faulty emissions system. I am thinking that there is something messed up which is giving me bad gas mileage and causing this light to trigger.

I have also had an incident twice where after a long drive on the highway, I was unable to turn my tempurature knob controlling my AC/Heater temp. It stuck in place until the car cooled down.

They checked that out too, and never found anything, so they say.

I will post any more info I find out.
    Oh, by the way, my dash lights all work properly.
  • lugsterlugster Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Aerio Sedan, manual transmission. I have also had a rattling in the right dash?/door? I was planning on taking everything out of my glove box and driving it to see if it still ocurred.

Also had brake noise at slow stops --> told the dealer and they said there was a bulletin for it and they put clamps on the calipers (no charge). So far, no more problems.

The major problems we have had are with the transmission. It was 6 months old when out of no where it starting slamming/grinding when put in 2nd gear. Brought it in to service--they were going to replace the transmission, california sent the wrong transmission 3 times! Service dept. decided to replace 2nd & 3rd gears and parts associated with it instead. Did that, and car was shifting very poorly. 3rd was stiff, overall felt like car was 10 years old.

Brought car back in, replaced transmission assembly. On way home from picking car up---5th gear on highway made a "waw-waw-waw" noise. Only happens on highway, only 5th gear. Service manager drove the car, called the sound "droning" and said he would have the suzuki representative drive it to see if it was normal for suzukis to do that. I told him we did not hear it or have any problems for 1st 6 months of driving car. He said the rep. would be here in 1-2 weeks and he left a voicemail with him. He also said he would call us when he knew what day we could bring the car in for the rep. to drive it. That was March 30th, 2004. We still have not heard from anyone!!!! It's now the end of June!! It's been 3 months!!!

I am documenting all of the problems we've had with the car and the poor service and mailing it to corporate. Before now, we have called the Suzuki Customer Relations Phone number in the warranty manual and complained a few times about the first issues and the service dept.--they don't seem to care. when we have the 1st problewms w/ 2nd gear slamming--the service manager told us to keep driving the car skipping from 1st gear to 3rd while we waited 3 weeks for the trans. assem. to arrive (he said we were replacing it anyway!)
     Not sure what else to do, service seems to be avoiding the 3rd attempt to fix (lemon Law).
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    My daughter had a similar problem with a late '90's suzuki she owned. It only happened when the weather was hot(90+ degrees). it seemed like vapor lock or something like that. The car would not move from a stand still very well. floor the gas and the car moved off like a riding lawnmower. It was just like you say as if it were starting in third gear. I timed it on my watch once and it took her about 30 seconds to reach 60 mph with the gas floored. The car never missed or protested it just had no usable power. It ran all the way to red line on each shift. It felt like she was pulling a camper or something. I had her pull into a car wash and we sprayed the radiator down with cool water. Cooling the car down corrected the situation for a while but it did come back every so often. The dealer never could duplicate the situation and no error codes came up. I do not know if it is a fuel supply problem or a transmission problem.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    with my Vitara. Spark knock that the dealer cannot seem to find or recognize.

I hate to be brutal here, but it would seem that since they don't want to make good on a problem with your car, I would see about selling it or trading it. Sooner or later, it will become a problem child and then it's your problem to deal with.

I am contemplating the same thing with my rig. It either needs to get fixed or I will dump it and secure another vehicle to drive.
  • parideparide Member Posts: 52
    This is interesting - a couple of weeks ago, I noticed what sounded like pinging with my XL-7. I thought that maybe I got a bad tank of gas, but several fill-ups later, it's still making that noise. The ping or rattle occurs during acceleration and seems to be intermittant. I haven't found a pattern yet for when it happens.
    My former 03 Aerio SX also made a pinging sound when accelerating in hotter temps. It made the noise on both 87 and 89 octanes. It sounded just like my 84 VW GTI with solid lifters and over 200k on the engine. None of my other new cars have ever made that sound.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    I have the similar problem on a 2002 Vitara.
    I think there is a technical service bulletin for such a problem in the 02-03 Aerio. We have only heard it twice and both times on a hot day just as we pulled in the drivway and coasted to a stop and shut the AC off.. Sounds like the noise echos between the houses but soon disappears. Cant duplicate it. I dont have the TSB.
    Has anyone heard when the new Aerio will arrive? My dealer is trying to sell me a Verona and merely says it will be several months before the Aerio arrives. Just curious.
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    The factory plug is too hot a plug. This is what some of the guys on another site have found out. The stock plug is IFR5J11 NGK. Suzuki also lists
    BKR6EIX-11 NGK and IFR6J11. Both of these plugs are cooler and for most condintions in the US and Canada will work fine.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    If I were you, I'd wait until the 05 models of any Suzuki come out. You never know what features they might add! :-D
    For 2004, the Japanese Aerio got an interior and exterior makeover. Many people liked the new interior but the exterior was considered "too soft" for many. For 05, the Aerio retains that same interior but has a new exterior with sportier edges.

Enjoy! :-D
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I liked the reworked interior but the exterior, while better than our base Aerios, was a little soft. This freshening looks quite good, although only the front bumper & grill appear to be changed.
    It also looks as if the Aerio will receive "clear lens" taillights like the XL7 did for 2004.
    I read in the August 16 issue of Automotive News that the refreshed 2005 Aerio will be out very soon with a few minor interior and exterior changes. It also states that a whole new Aerio will be a 2008 redesign. They must plan on keeping it in the line up and that is good.

They also mentioned a new compact car about the size of an Aerio for 2007. That puzzles me unless it is a replacement for the aging Forenza. No details.

I would like to see them bring the Suzuki Swift Plus to the USA from Canada (like the Chevy Aveo).
    If you check one of my earlier posts, you can see the refreshened 2005 Aerio in Japan. For 2004, the JDM Aerio received a new exterior and interior. For 2005, the JDM Aerio has sharpened exterior looks on high-line models (but that's the only look that will most likely come stateside). As for the Swift+ coming here (aka Daewoo Kalos, Pontiac Wave, Chevrolet Aveo), I'm not really supporting it. I'd rather see the production version of the S/S2 hatchback...
    I recently received the 2005 MY changes in an e-mail from a Suzuki representative.

Aerio SX and sedan: Powerfully Sporty
    A subcompact sedan and sport crossover (SX) model with the following standard equipment: 2.3-Liter engine with 155-horsepower and 152-lb.-ft. of torque – a top-performer in its class; side and advanced airbags; automatic climate control; air conditioning; power windows, door locks and mirrors; keyless remote entry; in-dash AM/FM CD player with seven speakers including subwoofer; tilt steering wheel with integrated stereo controls; driver’s seat armrest and rear spoiler. A Consumer Digest “Best Buy” in 2003 and 2004.

Available features include: All-wheel-drive; ABS; 15-inch aluminum alloy wheels; fog lamps; in-dash six-disc CD player; silver interior door handles and interior chrome door locks.

 2005 Aerio trim levels
    • S: Well-equipped front-wheel-drive sedan, with air conditioning, a seven speaker CD audio system, and power windows and locks;
    • LX: Better-equipped sedan, with 15-inch alloy wheels and an in-dash six disc CD audio system. Available in front-wheel drive or with QuadGrip™ All-wheel-drive System;
     SX: An even better-equipped sport crossover model. Available in front-wheel drive or with QuadGrip™ All-wheel-drive System.

 Changes on all Aerio trim levels include a completely redesigned interior and sporty exterior additions:
     New front bumper, grille and fog lamp design
     Redesigned rear spoiler for sedan (LX, S)
     New “clear” rear combination lamp (SX)
     New-style 15-inch aluminum alloy wheels
     New “S” mark on front grille, center wheel cap, rear trunk/deck lid, steering wheel horn pad and key fob
     Automatic climate control
     Reconfigured instrument panel, steering wheel and console
     Integrated audio head unit with new steering-wheel stereo controls
     Change in instrument cluster from digital to analog
     Clock and outside temperature display on all models
     12-volt accessory socket
     Redesigned transmission shift knobs (for manual and automatic)
     Introduction of advanced airbags for front passenger
     Side airbags for driver/front passengers
     Redesigned front-door pocket
     Repositioned outside door mirror switches
     Sunglass holder on driver’s side (above window)
     Upgraded seat fabric
     Addition of panic mode function on keyless entry system
     New exterior color: Techno Blue and Ice Blue

 Additional changes on Aerio S
     Power door locks standard
     Silver-tone inside door handle and chrome-plated door lock knob
     Newly-designed rear trunk spoiler

*Question marks do not mean anything.
    Thanks for posting the extensive list of changes and improvements in the 05 AERIO. I like the idea of side air bags. Quite a long list indeed. Anxious to check it out. When???
    We have an 02 Aerio SX automatic and live in sunny Arizona. Our son in Denver wants to buy it this winter. I know most of the Aerio owners in Canada run snow tires in the winter but do any of you have much experience running one with stock tires only on snow and ice? Many front wheel drive cars do fairly well. The Aerio however has a lot more horsepower than my sons old 3 cylinder GEO Metro 5 speed and he never had a problem with stock tires on it in the winter and often went into the mountains in bad weather. He does have special Sipes cut into his tires and I used to do the same when we lived in Colorado. Discount Tire and Americas Tire Company specialize in it and it does make a big difference in traction and they run cooler in summer and last longer. OK snow drivers...what are your thoughts? AWD would solve the problem of course but thats not an option in this case.
    My guess is that the 05 Aerio should be in this September, the latest would be November.
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    Living in Canada,the first year I had the Aerio,I just ran with the stock geolanders. I found them to be OK. I never really got into trouble. But again,I don't live in a mtn area. Last year,I bought 4 michilin alpin tires. What a differance. I will always use snow tires now. BTW,I have a 2wd 5 speed.
    I just dropped off my XL7 for maintenance when the service guy told me the 05s are in stock round back. He took me back where they had 2 2005 Suzuki Aerio SXs, one in white and the other silver but both FWD. The inside is NICE! The cloth, like the press release says, is improved and I also noticed that the cushioning is not as hard and more soft. The interior dashboard is NOT plastic, but rubberized plastic like the Verona. Also, it does not use the same stereo unit as the XL7 or 04 Aerio, but an all-silver unit that has the buttons in the same place. The unit is also a different shape with rubberized knobs, clearer display, and it makes a "BEEP" noise when you change it (just like custom units...Sony, JBL, etc.). CHECK ONE OUT NOW!!! :-D
  • padittydaddadapadittydaddada Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 SX Wagon. The clutch went out at 25k miles. The mechanic (Suzuki authorized dealer) says there is no "visible" defect - meaning it's not covered under the warranty, or abuse - meaning he doesn't know what caused the clutch plate to "burn up." Customer service says it is not covered under warranty - so much for warranties. Anyone out there experience this problem at such low miles? Any better outcomes or recommendations? Email me at jwkelley507@earthlink.net. Thanks. I
    We have over 40km (about 25,000 mi) on our '02 SX Auto and, touch wood, have had no real problems to date. Did have the front bearing work and brake clunk work done, as per TSB's, but that's about it. Biggest complaint is the buzzing door panels. I find if I pull back the rubber strip that contacts the glass at the base of the window, it stops, so am looking at a way to hold these back on their own. Mileage actually seems to be improving as the car ages. Will probably keep it for a second car and buy an X-Trail or a Mazda5 next summer, but ultimately would like something even smaller for commuting etc...maybe an Echo hatch, Honda Fit/Jazz or even a smart.
  • teets18teets18 Member Posts: 28
    frenchcar,
    I purchased my Aerio AWD in the winter time and thought traction was okay with the stock Geolander tires. However, i purchased 4 Blizzak snow tires and my traction went through the roof. I highly recommend snow tires to anyone looking for better traction.
  • HankrHankr Member Posts: 100
    Winter driving safety is much more about stopping and steering than it is about starting.

The measure of safety is not whether you "don't get stuck" with OEM all-season tires. It is whether, when you REALLY need to, you can turn and/or stop in time.

OEM all-season tires just don't perform like snow tires; and I wouldn't compromise safety trying to do without snows.

Nor do they really cost that much more... you only run 4 tires at a time, so whether you're wearing out tires from a set of 4 or a set of 8,
    you're still using them up at the same rate.
    Pretty good write up in today's National Post. Unfortunately, online edition has no pics but print version showed restyled grille and dash.
    http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/specials/driversedge/- story.html?id=2b236b7f-42b3-4b0a-bba8-1464e03b24f2
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    Hear, hear. For winter 2003-2004, there was a day or two (never again!) of deep snow (with ice on the top, thank you!) in the city where I'd go to work if I could pull my car out of its parking space. My car has OEM Yokohama 195/55 R15 all-seasons. I spent much of my driving time actively keeping the car in a straight line, and gave my ABS system an unwanted, thorough workout. Get a pair of snow tires. Please.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Drove an automatic 03 Aerio and was put off by the dimbulb dash and the cheap interior. Just saw the 05 on the lot and gotta say that I've never seen a mid-platform adjustment that did more both interior and exterior wise. The new interior looks better than anything in class IMHO. This will be on my short list when it's time to buy...
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Big improvements, although the steering seemed a bit twitchy to me. Loved the dash, loved having automatic climate control. Like I said in my last post, I've never seen such substantial mid-platform improvements in any car.
  • abayardeabayarde Member Posts: 6
    Let's see...

> New front bumper, grille and fog lamp design.

Looks ok, but similarities with Toyota Echo are

too strong.

> New-style 15-inch aluminum alloy wheels.

More difficult to wash both sides of the rim, without taking out the wheel.

> Automatic climate control.

Very welcomed feature.

> Reconfigured instrument panel, steering wheel

> and console.

> Change in instrument cluster from digital to

> analog.

Center dash looks cool (more chrome) but change

to analog instrument cluster turns the Aerio to the same typical plain looking dash. tsk, tsk!

> Introduction of advanced airbags for front

> passenger.

Another very welcomed feature.

I still miss more sporty features like a sunroof.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I agree with everything but the dash... I love the new dash. Suzuki has never offered a sunroof on this chassis. Must be a structural thing.?. I do not like chrome on the outside of any car I own so I would have to ditch the chrome on the grill and replace the new chrome tail lights with last years tri color units.
  • 2005sx2005sx Member Posts: 3
    May I ask what kind of roof rack and luggage carrier you used? We purchased an 05 SX with roof rack. I had the car then had to go back for the rack. It was very ugly and noisy - it whistled so much you had to shout to have a conversation. I went back the next day and returned it. I had been expecting a rack made for the SX this was more of an after market thing.
  • nhsjrnhsjr Member Posts: 15
    It's been a wile and with 19,500.mi on I had a fan belt idler pulley replaced under warranty with no problim. Otherwise, the car has run well. I switched to synthetic motor oil and I am extending oil changes to 10,000.mi. (I drive heavy trucks for a living and they run them 60k oil drain interval's and 500k+ life). Service is due at 20k, I want to try a k&n air filter and some better plugs. 30 mpg is the best it will do.
    It sounds to me like you got a bad one. Maybe you should dump it. I got one of the first Suzuki cars to arrive in the US back in the mid 1980's (then called sprint). Today I have an XL7 and the aerio. Replacing that idler pulley is the only problim I've had with one. I entertain no high end expectations from Suzuki products, that is, I paid only $12,190. for my SX new, it is my terminal/work car. I'm not going to cry if it gets a scratch or something and I would dump it in a minute if it gave me trouble, I've got better things to do than fuss with unreliable cars.
  • pyropyro Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know what year your SX is that you paid 12,190 for . My area I can get a Vibe for alot less than an SX
  • aeriofallingapaeriofallingap Member Posts: 14
    I really wish I could dump it ...but I'm in year 3 of a 4 year lease. This Aerio is my work car. If you look at all the Tech service bulletins in the USA and Canada its seems a lot of people have a "bad one". One thing is for sure. As the millage goes up ...bad (expensive) things start to happen.
    I guess Suzuki is too busy with defective timing chain problems on their V6 motors and unreliable Veronas to deal with a few thousand defective Aerios. I hope you never have one of your drive axels drop out of the transmission. Mine did!
    Paid $12,190 for my 2002 SX 5sp w abs, leftover, in Jan or Feb of 2003. I brought the Houston paper ad with me at the time, (SX 5sp no abs) $11,995. I'm sure they get a little more for them today but I wouldent pay much more. Maybe I'm just lucky with mine. Sorry your having trouble with yours, look for another way out maybe.
  • jmdchienjmdchien Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market of buying one. It seems to be 2000.00 more than you paid. Could you tell me where did you get yours. Maybe I can follow your path, and save some money. Thanks.
    James
    You live near Houston. Whenever I want to know the lowest price possible for any car I look in the Houston paper. I purchased my 2002 sx early in 2003, it was a leftover, probably on the dealers lot over a year. They were anxious and lots of incentive money was involved. I imagine you might have to pay a little more today, but if you do the home work shop around and don't hurry, you'll find a bargain. Let us know.
  • greeengreeen Member Posts: 2
    I am considering trading my '03 in for an '05. I was curious if anyone can confirm that the more common problems have been fixed in the new '05s (like the doors buzzing, mirrors shaking in the wind, brake clunks, etc.)? I aw aware of all improvements to the interior. Also, anyone know if the engine noise is any quieter, or if there is more sound proofing? Any comments on the interior from those that have an '05?

I may think of more questions, but that's all for now.

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.