Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    No radio reception problems here, As a matter of fact I get stations better than my 2000 GM radio. The thumping IS the gas sloshing around. It seems to happen with more than 1/2 tank. A common problem that I think every Ody owner has. Haven't heard of a solution yet. I love the way the dealers make sure the tank is low before they let you test drive. Sneaky.
  • slocyclistslocyclist Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same sort of thing with my 2000 lx. It is eating batteries. The Honda Battery went about 14,000 miles and its replacement has been on the battery charger twice now. Granted the interior dome lights were left on in both of the recent dead battery episodes, but not for more than a few hours the first time and only thirty minutes the last time. Can anyone identify this problem?
    Thanks
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    i had a problem with the brakes on a 2001 EX. it feels like the rotors are warped and i feel a vibration in the pedal and can hear a buzz in the cabin when i am braking at highway speed. they turned the rotors and that seemed to help for about 200 miles and then the same thing was back. they just replaced the front rotors and the problem reappears. it seems to get worst as time goes on, but the problem is still there none the less. anyone else have any problems with the brakes? thanks.
  • mathproshsmathproshs Member Posts: 1
    To all those that are having battery problems with their Honda's, here may be the culprit. The battery in your car is made by AC Delco also can be read as CHEAP. My Civic's battery lasted about a year and a half before needing to be replaced. Bought the largest cranking amp battery and have yet to be replaced since 1996. I do not know why Honda buys these batteries as I feel they are substandard to the Honda name...and mind you no dealer will stand behind the battery no matter what...nor will the manufacturer.

Regarding the lights on the dash coming on, may have been a bad connection between wires and battery.

Good luck

Stelios
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    It may be cheap, but it works well over here. I have 123,000 miles on mine in 2 yrs and 5 months; and it's still as strong as it was new.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    sometimes I wonder if I am just like sleep walking through the day and not catching some of these problems but then I think maybe I just keep seeing vans like yours. We have not had a single battery problem on an Odyssey except for 2 known rear passenger lights that were left on and found to be on once we jumped started the van.

To every one else, please dont take this post the wrong way. I know that all products have problems and there are people with legit complaints in here. Other wise I wouldn't have a job..:)
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have never had a problem with a Delco battery and many of them were 4 or more years old and I live in Michigan where it gets a good workout. Also only drive 2 1/2 miles one way to work so not good on the battery.
  • ponch49ponch49 Member Posts: 17
    I just replaced the original Delco battery in my wife's 94 Accord (145,000 miles). Yes, that one lasted over 7 years and I replaced it with another Delco. Hopefully the car will last as long as the new battery will. I haven't had any battery problems with my 99 Odyssey EX and don't anticipate any. From my experiences, Delco has been a solid performer.
  • bjc4bjc4 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey. From almost the beginning we have had trouble with the left-side sliding door sticking. It has been very hard to open. We took it back once and of course it wouldn't stick that time. A second time, they sprayed something on it. Well now, with 37,000 miles on it, the outside handle has broken. We have taken it in and they claim it is our problem and will fix it if we pay for it. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Thanks for responding.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Bring in your receipts for all the times you brought the car in for the sticking door and ask to speak to the service manager. Don't be adversarial but point out to him how the sticking door problem was chronic and uncured during the warrantee period.
  • dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    The sliding doors sticking on the LX vans is a very well documented problem. Search through this string here and you will find it discussed at length. You should not have to pay one dime to have the door handle replaced. The dealer should put a grease called SHIN ETSU on the gasket to stop the sticking, but it will eventually start to stick once again. My '02 LX stuck once, but only slightly. If your dealer won't fix the handle under warranty, even with your documented complaint within the warranty period, find another dealer. If you can't do that, contact the Honda Zone Office. I would not relent on this. I think you just have a bad dealer.
    bjc4, I just discovered this on the odyclub website. Your dealer should have known about the original TSB dated NOV. '00. Now there is an updated TSB dated NOV. '01. If they did not perform the fix as recommended in the TSB, then it would stand to reason the broken door handle is their responsibility.

HONDA Service Bulletin 00-091
    -----------------------------------------------Applies To: 1999-01 Odyssey LX All November 20,2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manual Sliding Door Is Difficult to Open
    (Supersedes 00-091, dated November 21, 2000)

SYMPTON

One or both of the manual sliding doors are difficult to
    open.

PROBABLE CAUSE

The sliding door opening trim (weatherstrip) or the
    subseal (body side) sticks to the door and makes it
    difficult to open.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

All 1999, and 2000 thru VIN 2HKRL185, YH624124120:
    Replace the weatherstrip and subseal (REPAIR
    PROCEDURES A and B).

NOTE: Some of these vehicles have already had the
    weatherstrip replaced. Check the vehicle's repair
    history on the DCS before beginning repairs.

2000 above VIN 2HKRL185, YH624124120, and all 2001:
    Replace the subseal (REPAIR PROCEDURE B).

PARTS INFORMATION

Left Sliding Door Weatherstrip:
    P/N 72850-SOX-A13, H/C 6616858
    Right Sliding Door Weatherstrip:
    P/N 72810-SOX-A13, H/C 6616866
    Left Subseal:
    P/N 72865-SOX-A01, H/C 5934070
    Right Subseal:
    P/N 72825-SOX-A01, H/C 5934005
    B-Clip (two required):
    P/N 72827-SOX-A01, H/C 5934013

RECOMMENDED MATERIALS

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner:
    3M P/N 051135-08984
    Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease:
    P/N 08798-9013, H/C 4642294

(warranty clain info, and small print) ...

Good Luck!!
  • vincereynoldsvincereynolds Member Posts: 4
    http://www.epinions.com/content_34199539332

Instead of rambling, I thought that I would post regular updates of my van's performance and problems.

Take care,

Vince

Atlanta, Ga

Auburn - I had the timing and related belts changed along with the water pump at 105,000 miles on my 99EX. Ever since there has been a significant clunk (metal to metal, not plastic to plastic or metal)in the front of the vehicle when going over small choppy bumps. It doesn't seem to be as significant over larger bumps.

I've checked the tightness on the RH motor mount, and it's fine. I did find that the tech only used about 4 out of the 9 or 10 snap clips to reinstall the bottom plastic engine shroud/splash shield behind the front bumper and it was flapping in the wind, but I replaced all missing clips. The problem is still there.

Is there anything that the tech would have loosened and forgot to tighten in the disassembly of the front to get at the timing belt that could be causing this clunk? This dealer's service department is known for running them through just as fast as they can, and pressuring the techs to comply with this attitude.

My next step is to look at the front struts; but, if it were them, I would think they'd clunk on the big as well as the little choppy/chatter type bumps.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    I will try and remember to look one over tomorrow to see. The only thing that comes to mind would be the front motor mount or the lower subframe and radius rod. I will check and see tomorrow as I have not had a chance to do one yet on an Odyssey and not for sure if they are the same as an Accord.
    Thanks for the response. The shop manual doesn't call for any disassembly of the lower sub frame or a radius rod, but we all know that a tech will do whatever short cuts are necessary to get the job done quick. The problem comes when they don't re-do what they un-did to access the job.
  • toortoor Member Posts: 38
    How's in going everyone. It's been a while since i've posted.

Need help quick.
    Yeterday, a friend and I installed aftermarket shocks/dampers that I special ordered from japan.
    The ride is awesome. But while taking out the front left assembly, we accidentally cut the ABS line. We rewired it and there is power going through it fine.
    But the ABS and TCS lights on my instrument panel won't go off. I tried disconnecting the - battery, but that didn't work. Is there a way to reset the ABS system or do I haveto go to the dealer and pay the $82 for it.

Also, rear window motor squeaks. Was there a TSB for this?
    Thanks.
  • rmudrmud Member Posts: 2
    BJC4, I have had similar experiences. From week one with my 2000 LX manual doors, both right and left have been difficult to open. Last year the right handle broke off and yesterday, the left handle broke off. I have four documented cases of servicing for this problem. Tomorrow, I can't wait to see the service manager's attempt to get off of making it right (the 36,000 mile warranty expired two weeks ago). Thanks to crkeehn and dkrab for great info on this problem. Has any one else had these problems? rmmrf4f16@aol.com
  • kalajiankalajian Member Posts: 43
    See HONDA Service Bulletin 00-091
    Hi, I am back again. thanks for the info from all of you. dkrab suggested about the TSB. I could not find it on the net so I was wondering if you could tell me exactly where to find that info. Sure do appreciate the support.
    I saw the post from Kalajian abut the Honda Service bulletin. Where can you find that Service Bulletin. I am not aware of how to find it. Thanks. I am assuming this is a service bulletin about sticking doors.
  • chazcourtchazcourt Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same warped rotor syndrome as Bryan in Post #1556. Does any one else have this problem. My van has 23000 miles on it, just had the pads replaced and the rotors cut , had an outside mechanic use honda pads. Still have vibration when braking at high speeds. Will honda cover new rotors under the warranty?
    Honda is very persnickety about publishing service bulletins. The one I got was posted by someone who had obtained a copy from his Honda dealer. No normal source of SB's on the net will have the Honda bulletins. The only way to find out is, when you bring your Honda in with a problem, ask the dealer if there is a TSB on the problem. If he says no, ask another dealer.
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I went to www.nhsta.com and worked my way to vehicle tsb's on the site. Choose the year, then choose Honda TRUCK, then Odyssey, follow the choices, you should find these headings. If you want more info there's a small box on the left of each that you can click to get more detail.

Make: HONDA TRUCK Model: ODYSSEY Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: 010016 Bulletin Sequence Number: 624 Date of Bulletin: 07/01
    NHTSA Item Number: SB624347
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:DISC:PADS AND SHOES
    Summary:
    INFORMATION REGARDING: FRONT BRAKE PAD SET. *ET

Make: HONDA TRUCK Model: ODYSSEY Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: 010400 Bulletin Sequence Number: 189 Date of Bulletin: 04/00
    NHTSA Item Number: SB618986
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:SHOE AND DRUM SYSTEM
    Summary:
    SUBJECT REGARDING IMPROVED BRAKE DRUM APPEARANCE. *TT

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, rictom. Last I checked Honda would not allow TSB's to be distributed, period. I did not go through the whole process on the NHTSA site, but it looks like if you pay a fee, they will get the documentation to you. Have you tried it?
  • branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    At 46K miles, I still experience problems braking at high speeds, although mine is more loud noise than vibration.

When the first TSB came out, it had to do with brake pad noise (the sound was typically described as the sound a garbage truck makes when it stops). The fix was new pads.

I have no more garbage truck sounds, but the friction noise is still there. They didn't change rotors.
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I found a posting from terry624 dated Wed
    29 Nov '00 (10:57 AM)
    where he said "Thanks to Trevor I was able to give my local Honda Dealer a copy of the Service Bulletin. They acted a little surprised when I showed them a copy ..." this was for the pull to the right problem on some Ody's.
    I believe Trevor's at handa-accessories.com. I know Trevor isn't in the TSB business, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
    I'm sure some Ody owner with the same problem may have the TSB. I foung the above info in my Honda file when I was looking for my Ody. We bought a 2000 LX and I had the vibration at 70mph which was fixed for me by my dealer by replacing my steel rims/tires with the alloy rims/tires..at no charge....yes I know I was lucky. Love the van, still not a lot of miles on it, but I think it'll be as good as our 87 Civic. :-)
    If you obtain a TSB from a dealer, you really need to be closed mouthed about your source. If American Honda finds out that a dealer is providing copies, that dealer can get into trouble. Protect, don't advertise, your source; or it just might dry up on you.
  • bigjim01bigjim01 Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem getting Service Bulletins from NHTSA. They make you agree in advance to an indeterminate search fee based upon $35 per hour. I told them to foget it. Then I called my Congressmans' office and explained the problem to the staff there.

Within a week, I had a personal letter with the TSB attached and a personal note from a NHTSA supervisor explaining it all. No Charge! (Except the $$ I spend on taxes each year).

It is silly to have to resort to sledgehammer tactics. I'd have been happy to pay a $10 fee. But since I don't know what the TSB might have in store for me, I'm not willing to invest $50 or $75 to find out it is useless.

Its sad to have to do it this way, but I think you'll have the most success this way. The Honda Dealer will probably show it to you and maybe even give you a copy. In my case, the dealership simply denied the existence of a TSB till I walked in with a copy. Their response was "Oh, you mean THAT TSB". Gee, we didn't understand you.
  • smp4smp4 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Odyssey must be entering puberty as we just discovered to pimple like protrusions on the hood. The paint has chipped as a result.

It cant be the result of the hood being hit with something because the protrusion would be inward not outward, if the hood would have been hit with something.

The way the hood is designed, we cant see the defect when looking from the other side, since there appears to be 2 layers of metal comprising the hood. However, the interior side of the hood displays erosion of the paint from a source unknown, though we have had battery problems.

Anybody else notice this phenomenon
  • cwbeetlescwbeetles Member Posts: 9
    My 2002 odyssey lx just started making a loud clunk noise after I turn it on in the morning. The dealership said this is normal- but it just started happening. Also, when I brake to leave the driveway, it sounds like a dump truck or something, and then it sounds fine after about 2 minutes of driving. Is this something anyone else has had problems with?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Does your noise happen only after van's been sitting for several hours or over night? Next time, before you shut off the van, make sure that the A/C is off - front/rear. The clunk you're hearing could be the A/C compressor cycling on. There's some sort of noise as compressor tries to push condensed refrigerant on start up. I've been told it is not a problem.
    As far as brake noise go back and look at posts 1577 and 1579.
    If you live in an area where they salt the roads, you may just have rust on the rotors that wears off with the first few stops. Normally there would not be enough surface rust on the rotors from sitting only overnight, but I would imagine that salty slushy conditions would make the surface rust appear quickly.

My 02 LX hasn't clunked upon startup that I have noticed. I'll listen for it.
  • vtec2vtec2 Member Posts: 43
    I have a '00 CSS EX with 26k miles on it. Back when it had about 12k miles it started the warped rotor thing. After about five trips to the service department they replaced the pads and rotors under warranty. This was at about 22k miles. The problem is still there. My van makes noise and shudders when applying the brakes at high speeds, usually anywhere over 50mph. Has anyone tried getting Honda involved in this?

My van also makes a clunking noise upon startup. It is the A/C coming on. It's done it since new. I wouldn't worry about it. My '00 Sentra makes a similar noise too.
  • kpnykpny Member Posts: 5
    I have the misfortune to own a 99EX with 57,000 miles. I have experienced all the problems and recalls that I have read documented here. This new transmission experience has done me in. It began to lurch and jerk when first starting in tne morning. Brought it in to the dealer ( not where we bought it from; we've just moved)they told us there was a leak coming from the axle and they repaired it to the tune of $200. Of course when I picked it up there was no improvement. I bring it back, they tell me "oh, now it needs a new transmission. But this is great, Honda is going to pay half!" We say no thanks, we don't want to spend any more repair dollars on this car.
    Spoke to a honda regional rep who yelled at me because I wasn't interested in their deal. When I mentioned the possibility of a recall, she yelled "we don't deal in probablies and maybes." Not sure about the next step, just wanted to inform anyone else with this problem to check out www.autofan.com/forum where there is a thread about this situation and a possible class action suit forming.
  • gnoyola1gnoyola1 Member Posts: 1
    i am bringing in my odessy next week for the slideing doors rattleing at up tp 30mph on slightly bumpy roads. if you place your ear to the slideing door windows while someone drives, you can hear a definite rattle vibrating from somewhere in the doors thru the glass. it's driving me nuts. has anyone had any succces in getting this fixed and how.the dealer installed door shimms last visit. seemed to help for a while.
    gnoyola007@aol.com
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    OK, folks 02 with 2500 miles. Very hard to start after sitting over night--will not catch. Starter works fine. Have to apply a little gas to make it start--like the old choke days. any thoughts?
    thanks--
    INKY
  • tjutju Member Posts: 20
    "kpny": Can you summarize the discussion about a recall and/or a class action suit from the "autofan" site? After reading your post, I tried to access AutoFan's forum several times, but it crashed my system every time!
    A recall, with reimbursement to those of us who have already spent big bucks to replace our Odyssey transmissions, would be most welcome. I'm less optimistic about a class action suit. I was part of the class action suit against Nissan (I owned a 1987 Nissan minivan) and it was somewhat disappointing. Even though Nissan settled with us (i.e., with the "class"), it seemed to me that Nissan was really the big winner (by being shielded from all further liability for engines that tended to catch fire!) and the attorneys were big winners, too (by collecting millions in fees).
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    The owners manuals in various type of hondas indicate in cold temps (generally at higher altitude) 1/2 or even full throttle depression may be needed to start your car. Once started release throttle if the temps havent been cold then there is a problem.
    rockycow
  • seeingredseeingred Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new Ody EX that immediately presented with an oil leak that requires a new engine to fix it. Apparently there is a NHSTA bulletin about it & it appears faulty casting at manufacturer. My vehicle now off road 15 days while short block engine is shipped across the country(long block denied). My vehicle should never have left the manufacturer, and now I need engine replacement and service work required. I had the car on the road three days and less than 300 miles.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bummer. Hope it's resolved for good once you get it back.

-juice
  • poultrymanpoultryman Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. Well, 17k miles and time to report. A/C clunk when starting up if AC is on. Not too much of a worry. Van doesnt pull right. Sliding doors have opened several times due to sensitive keyfob buttons and small children who like to push them. Its no fun trying to push the van out of the garage to jump start it, or when the doors have been open all night in a rainstorm when left in the driveway.
    Annoying transmission noise at 52-54 mph. Slightly uncomfortable seats, but now used to them. Poor armrest desing on doors, needs some padding (hope the 02 models are better). SLiding doors froze after first snowstorm this winter and gave computer fits, they stopped working altogether but dealer reset the computer and they seem fine now. Michelin tires hum loudly on concrete, fine on asphalt. Gas tank thunk was annoying at first, but now its nice to know the tank is full. Gasoline light comes on at half a tank, but shallow tank design is at fault. As long as my wife doesnt fill up the tank I always reset the odometer and I check the mileage so I know when to refill. Overall Im satisfied, but I wish my van had Leather, Navigation and a DVD player.

DO the '02 models come with Nav and a DVD?

College Park Honda in MD stinks. Dont buy from them!!!
  • mswansonmswanson Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    00EX 19K mi. - Recently noticed, when backing up (cold van - not recently driven), a knocking noise from the front. Any ideas or similar experiences? Thanks.
  • kpnykpny Member Posts: 5
    In regard to the autofan website, you're right, it crashed on me too but it's working now. Basically, people are looking for a recall, but there is none planned as yet. They say to refer to TSB 00-065 but that it only refers to transmission bangs in reverse. The class action suit info is at www.txattorneys.com but your experience with that is discouraging. I guess I'm going to have to throw some more money into the pit.
  • mwcarlsomwcarlso Member Posts: 85
    My mom has a 2000 Odyssey EX with about 44,000 miles on it and the rear brakes make a loud screeching noise sometimes when she is about to come to a complete stop. The shoes still have 60% wear left on them. I was home this weekend and it did it a couple times. It sounds as if the brakes are locking up, but it only does it intermittently. The brakes work fine it is just that the noise is very annoying. The dealer checked the brakes and said everything was normal. I understand that some noise from the brakes should be expected but this noise is definetely not normal. Has anyone else had this problem and had a luck with the dealer fixing it?
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Haven't had this problem yet (only 15K miles so far). But I've read somewhere that blowing off the dust inside the drum will get rid of it. BTW, does anyone have brake clunks due to the pad shifting. If so, did the dealer ever fix it and how? My local dealer said that there is no fix for this. TIA.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    at least that's what the brochure says.
    you can get either the DVD or the Navigation system but not both together.
    If you want both, then get the DVD after market would be my guess as the best solution.
  • skubesskubes Member Posts: 19
    I have battled both front and rear brake noise since 12,000 miles (now at 54,000). mwcarlso, the rear noise will eventually become constant and you will sound like a semi truck. People will stare. I have been to 3 dealers - all say the brakes are fine, look new, and it's "brake dust". They clean them and I have peace and quiet for about a week, before it all starts again. They say all vehicles do this. I have driven for 30 years and this is the first one for me!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Try non-OE brake pads. Maybe they're sacrificing noise for durability. Some folks say the pads that don't last as long are quieter.

-juice
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I think Honda uses the metallic brake shoes which with stand higher temperatures but have the squeaking problem. Other companies use the non -metallic linings which are quiet but like the previous post said, don't last as long.
This discussion has been closed.