Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It is 6 inches shorter than a Matrix (165 vs 171)

Price is $16,900, but that includes A/C, cruise, tilt/telescopic wheel, ABS, seat belt pre-tensioners, side curtain airbags, 4 wheel disc brakes, height adjustable seats, remote locking etc.

That is for the TDI engine rated at EPA 42/49. It is cheaper w/ the gas engine, but not as stingy w/ fuel. The new TDI is nothing like diesels of the past it is smoother and quieter. Very queit on the freeway because it only turns 2080 rpm @ 60 mph. The engine has so much torque it does fine at low rpm. It actually has the same amount of torque as last years 1.8t (155 lbft).

Reliability is about average (which is actually pretty good these days as all cars are getting more reliable - I think average now is equel to the best that was available 10-15 years ago) and the diesel engine will last forever.

Can't hurt to try one.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    First, don't love the looks of the Golf. 2nd, it really isn't that cheap. In Canada, the Aerio GLX fastback is ~$19500 including freight which gives you 4-door hatch with 4-speed automatic, AC. The Golf TDI with 4-doors, automatic and AC is ~$24500 including freight. That's a fair chunk of change for a more refined interior and ride with a much less powerful engine.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Check out Edmunds' First Drive: 2002 Suzuki Aerio, by John DiPietro. Pretty good report, imo. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • howhohowho Member Posts: 77
    has anyone been able to get the canadian invoice price for an aerio sx automatic. i checked the "car cost canada" site a few days ago, and still nothing on the aerio.
  • bsme1991bsme1991 Member Posts: 23
    Carr Suzuki in west Portland, Oregon has the new Aerio SX for $3500 under MSRP. The car is the 4 door civic HB i was waiting all these years to replace my aging '92 CX.
    2 liter engine with DOHC, timing chain, direct ignition, AC, PB, PW, PS, CC, AM/FM CD, 15" aluminum wheels, fog lights, this thing is loaded! how does Suzuki expect to make any money?
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Paul, could you please let me know where you found this info? I'm in Portland, and am VERY
    interested in the Aerio SX. Thanks!

Erik
    Based on looking at an ad, and email from Carr Suzuki,
    looks like the $3500 number was for Grand Vitaras, not the Aerio. The Aerio was (is?)
    $1500 off MSRP (still a good deal in my book).

Erik
  • bsme1991bsme1991 Member Posts: 23
    I went to the dealer hoping to see if they had a yellow SX... the inexperienced salesman must've mistaken the discount. Thanks for the updated information.
  • lespacelespace Member Posts: 9
    The Aerio is really a mixed bag at best. There are a few unforgivable problems that spoil an otherwise handy wagon (5-door hatchback, really). There was only an automatic at the Classic Suzuki dealership in Atlanta (I prefer manual).

I'll start with the good news. The seating position is high with a great amount of headroom. In fact, the wagon is very tall in general.
    The rear visibility was better than expected. The engine tuning is nice in that torque is generated at considerably lower RPM than most other engines around this size. The ride is firm and quiet enough. Steering is very light but has adequate feedback. The cargo area has an assortment of little compartments that are often wasted space on other cars.

The bad news begins with the console. Who thought digital instruments were a good idea? The cowl covers a very slim strip of orange LED instruments - a 2 digit number for the speedo and a graph for the tach. These are a bit difficult to see and require more than a glance to read. The plastics are sub-econo and were clashing warm and cool greys. I'm usually not so finicky, but these were bad enough to complain about.

More problems with the interior include the poor fabrics. The seats have a very snag-catching perforated football jersey fabric surrounded by a fabric best described as flannel! This is even
    worse than typical econo velour. The rear arm rest is released by pulling a nylon strap that sticks out through a button-hole type seam. The football jersey is also on the upper door panels where I typically rest my arm while driving. It would have been smarter for this to be plastic or vinyl. There is not front center arm rest.

The cargo area is wall to wall felt. Being sporty and all, you'd think Suzuki would've clad the seat backs and cargo floor in plastic (like the Matrix). The back seats fold semi-flat after tugging nylon straps on the seat bottoms and removing the headrests from the seat backs.

The spoiler certainly does spoil things if you look too closely. It is crudely fastened on by 2 large plastic rivets. The spoiler doesn't
    fit or contour well into the body at all. Other exterior appearance problems include less-than-smooth paint and wheels that are IMO too small and out of proportion.

This is a pity, really. I was looking forward to the Aerio as a replacement for my Metro. Despite how spartan my Metro is, it was designed and assembled with greater care than the Aerio. The Aerio was pleasant enough to drive, but you'd be crazy to buy one when there are better choices for the same money. Suzuki is cutting corners and it shows throughout. Spend the same and get an Elantra GT or spend a little more and get the handsome, competent and ultimately better Protege5.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    It is funny that you also have a Metro and were hoping the Aerio would be better. I have the same thoughts as you: I thought the Aerio would be a step up but getting back into my Metro after the test drive, the only thing I thought was better about the Aerio was the engine power. By driving my Metro like I stole it (revving the snot out of it) I find it has enough power. The cheap interior and digital gauges just killed the Suzuki for me. I kept wanting to like the Aerio but the cheapness of the barely operable tilt steering, the out of alignment steering column of the GLX I tried, etc. made me say no. I've been hanging around here still hoping I would get over the interior but I've finally decided against it so I'll probably sign off with this message.

I've test driven the Vibe which I like much better than the Aerio even though I'd get less features for the same money; too bad they are so hard to come by and going for MSRP right now. I wasn't loving the styling of the Elantra GT but I saw one in black the other day that looks very nice so I really should test drive one. The P5 looks worse than the Vibe IMO and is more expensive here similarly equipped than either the Vibe or the Elantra but I may still give one a drive just for completeness.
    I did a test drive in a 5-speed Aerio SX a little while back, and the thing that most stuck in my mind was how the shifting felt - very "clunky". Have any of you out there driven a 5-speed, and if so, were you left with the same impression? I'm also trying to like the SX, but there are a few things that bug me too.

Erik
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    From the company that has sold 30,000,000 vehicles in the past 40 years; is marketed in 190 countries and has had the best selling car model in Japan for 5 years straight (the Wagon R), not a Honda or Toyota, we now get the Aerio. I have tested them and will buy one as soon as I sell my Focus or the old Saab. Previous models they sold were thin and tinny but were always extremely reliable and they have had very few re-calls. I like the direct ignition and love the timing chain over the cheap timing belt most cars have. The Aerio body is built like a tank, the doors have a solid thud to them, the cross member braces extend up into pillar areas and into the roof structure which will support a 3000 pound load. It is far sturdier and with better fit and finish. Both the SX hatch and sedan are zippy, will get up to 80 mph cruising speed in no time. The SX is practical with very good load space and lots of rear storage compartments and the ice chest pail is neat. I found the digital instruments easy to get used to and my wife and I both liked the interior. We saw a 6 foot 7 inch man get in and he had head room and leg room and said his big Buick was cramped compared to the Suzuki. The price is right for what you get. The local dealer here has dolled a couple of them up with 45 series tires, 17 inch wheels, graphics on the sides, limo tint and cat back hot exhaust system. I have owned 3 Suzuki products in the past and really trust them. The Vibe and Matrix are over-priced, the Mazda P-5 has smaller load space. I am glad I took a second look and drive. Some people think Suzuki has old fashioned technology but over the years that is what makes them reliable.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Frenchcar

I have no problem with Suzuki reliability. I used to own a Chevy Sprint Turbo. That was one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. No It was not refined...but man that power to weight ratio was perfect (1600lbs - 70hp). Dead reliable.

Timing chains in Suzukis are nothing new. My friend's 2000 Esteem has a timing chain.

I think the Aerio is a step-forward for them. If not in performance than in design. Its obvious they are appealing to the younger crowd (factory fog lights,dams,spoilers)but I still think the digital dash was a bad idea. I've had my share of them.

The thing that makes me laugh is you mention other cars as competition to it...yet you never mention Hyundai. For $14,500 the Elantra GT is a direct competitior loaded with leather and yet it doesnt even get an honorable mention. Thats OK, us Hyundai owners are used to that.
    Sport, I have driven the Elantra GT and like it very much except for the fact that the rear window is so slanted that the hatch wont load tall upright bulky objects as in the Aerio. I am really impressed with all the good positive things and progress that Hyundai has made in the last two years. It makes me very angry when most of the major auto publications snub both Hyundai and Suzuki as second class citizens. For the price and value, I like them both. I have owned 74 vehicles from all over the world so it is easy for me to make comparisons. I just want some over due recognition for Suzuki. They would really take off if they would offer the 100,000 mile warranty of the Korean cars. Enjoy your GT.
    frenchcar

I agree with you that Hyundai and Suzuki are improving. My friend has owned the Esteem Wagon and Esteem Sedan and I'm impressed with them both.
    Suzuki engines are excellent performers. They certainly gave the Aerio enough power (141hp). Thanks for the props on the GT.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    It's funny to hear what people think of this car. Clunky shifters, cheap fabric. Too much body roll???

I test drove the Porcshe 911 and it stank. All that money and I couldn't fit luggage for me the wife and the kids to go to disney land for the week.

Yes that was a sacrcastic remark. Cars have purposes and they're getting mixed up.
    This cars goal is to be an economical, practical and easy to live with It does all of this well. It is not goint to handle like a Porsche, it is not going to be as plush as a benz, and it's not going to be as sexy as a Jaguar. And they never meant it to!

. If you want refinement and performance, it is readily available for some extra cash. but it seems wacky to me to point out nonsense that doesn't matter.
  • lespacelespace Member Posts: 9
    I for one didn't expect the Aerio to be anything more than an econo-wagon, but I did expect it to match the competition or at least be a better value - it isn't. Many of its flaws would be considered flaws for any car.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I too find some of these comments about interior cheapness a little overexaggerated. I will reserve my final judgement until I see the car in person, but I don't see what people are comparing this car to or why they expected so much. Maybe they aren't looking at the total picture. The way I see it is this: The Aerio is one of the few Japanese cars still built in Japan. Logic dictates it costs them more money to build it there and send it over here. Keeping that in mind and then looking at its quite low sticker price, I would expect the interior plastics to be of cheaper quality. This car is quite a bit cheaper then the Civic, Corolla, Lancer, and Protege with the same equipment. There had to be a compromise somewhere and we know it wasn't in the engine or exterior styling departments. If the interior plastic is no better then the nicely styled but cheap plastic used in the Elantra, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. It's only marginally more expensive and yet it costs a whole lot more to build it. It would also make sense that the digital display costs more then traditional guages. As far as body roll is concerned, this car will roll more because it's so tall.
    The Aerio was a great effort by Suzuki. I applaud them for pricing the car aggressively and giving it a more realistic MSRP. You could pay sticker on this car and not feel bad because there is only a $500 markup. The only thing that kills the car for me is its funky dash design and the digital guages. The exterior grabs my attention just as much as the Matrix. I hope to test drive one soon and see if the interior is really as bad as everyone makes it seem.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    It's true, there isn't a single decent material used in the car. But it is screwed together tightly.
    The biggest problems I found - the very high seating position combined with the usual steering wheel placement makes for a drive reminicent of a bus, and down the street is a Nissan dealer that offers the much more refined Sentra with the same equipment for only 2k more.
  • gerrixgerrix Member Posts: 7
    Ingtonge, how can you compare the Aerio with the Sentra ? The Aerio has much more useable space, especially for the rear passengers.
    The very high seatings position will certainly not suit everyone but I loved it. It makes for a great visibility amplified by the big outside mirrors.
    The ride is smooth and the cabin is quite quiet, even at cruise speed.
    I will buy one very soon.
    I never compared the Aerio to the Sentra. I think that was meant to be directed towards freddy_k. The Sentra is a cramped car and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned anymore.
  • gerrixgerrix Member Posts: 7
    Sorry, I Meant "freddy_k" and not you Ingtonge18.
    I agree with you. I just visited my Suzuki dealer and sat in a red SX. Very nice car! The room is amazing and so is the visibility (the rear window could have been wider). The seats were very comfortable to me. The dash materials were better then I expected and I thought the seat fabric was nice. I even think I could live with the digital display. It was very bright and easily visible, though the car was under the building overhang and it was 7pm so who knows how readable it is in sunlight. The engine sounded muted enough to me, and felt smooth when revved. The only disappointing parts about the car was a hollow tinny sound to the door when slammed, the steering wheel was thin and not leather wrapped, and the fabric used on the door was rough to the touch (at least it's there instead of hard ugly plastic). The ice chest in the rear was a neat feature and all the little bins is pretty cool. I walked away quite impressed with the car. I didn't have time to test drive it as the dealer was closing, but all of them were automatics anyway and I want a manual. The Aerio SX, along with the Matrix, is high on my list for my next car. I personally think the Aerio is a great deal. Seemed worth every penny to me.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Didn't you just get a new Lancer? How many new cars can you afford? :) Just kidding.
    I'm looking to replace my 2000 Hyundai Accent in the next 2-6 months. That's my main car. My partner drives the Lancer. The Accent has been a good car but I'm sick of having no power when using the AC and having no power amenities.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Be warned that your Accent is not going to net alot on trade-in. Hyundais don't hold their value well at all. They are the worst, along with Kia and the Dodge Neon.
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    MSN auto review (Jedlicka) gives the Aerio a "6", with points lost for the digital instrumentation and unknown resale value. Overall, he had good things to say re: power and interior.
    We bought our Aerio SX recently after 3 road tests and checking out the Matrix and Protege 5. We love it more each time we drive it. This SX has more load space (63 cubic feet) than the others, better seats than the others, I like the direct ignition and timing chain set up, the vision in all directions is exceptional, well put together and it is really zippy. The digital speedometer is fantastic and the interior is very nice. Great value. Zero defects. Not a Lexus perhaps but...
    The Suzuki "Wagon R" has been the best selling car in Japan for 5 years and now Nissan is going to buy 4,000 a month and put a Nissan badge on them as they have never had a car in the popular low tax mini car class. Obviously, Suzuki is well thought of in Japan. They just arent well known in the USA but that could change. Many older folks with motor homes use them as tow vehicles. Now they need to appeal to more young people. I forgot to put a Title on my new Aerio in post # 80.
  • frankie25997frankie25997 Member Posts: 5
    TOOK A LOOK AT THE DEALER TODAY A RED GS SEDAN. MY WIFE LIKES THE CAR. WE ALSO LOOKED AT THE HYUNDAI GT AND LIKE THAT TOO. BUT ITS A LITTLE TIGHT FOR SPACE INSIDE. THE GS FELT LIKE IT HAD MORE ROOM. THE ONLY THING IS WITH THE HYUNDAI YOU GET THAT 100,000 MILE BACKING! DOES ANYBODY HAVE A AERIO YET CAN YOU LET US KNOW IF YOU LIKE IT AND HOW IT DOES ON THE ROAD!!
    Motorweek did a review of the Aerio this week and was quite pleased with it. It did 8.3 sec to 60 and was very well behaved in the slalom. Brakes stop from 60 in 128 feet (ABS). They liked the interior and the digital dash. Tremendous headroom inside. They also said the engine is a bored-out version of the Esteem 1.8 liter engine.
    Not bad since my friends Esteem really hauls ***. All in all a very good review.

frankie25597

You are shouting (ALL CAPS). I drive the Elantra GT and think its a great car. Go for it.
    We have had our Aerio for 3 weeks now and love it more each day. Got rid of a Focus and checked out 5 other brands. Great in the city and on the highway. Many people have asked us about it and they seem impressed also but a few mistook it for a Matrix but this was $3000 cheaper. It felt broken in after just 200 miles. The gas mileage is better than anticipated already after a few tanks and I thought it would take a few thousand miles to get to that point. 700 great miles to date.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Glad you like your new Aerio. How is it for road/wind noise and what's it like on windy days.
    My wife & I were originally shopping for a CRV to replace our Sidekick (wife's daily driver) but are shifting our focus and may check out the Aerio for her instead. Then, a few years down the road, we may replace my Altima with something CRV-like. Anyway, we would be interested in how the Aerio is on the highway, as we would probably use it for camping/trips when it's more practical than the Altima. BTW, what model/colour did you get? And were the dealers willing to deal?
  • guickgguickg Member Posts: 19
    I purchased a Suzuki Aerio S sedan a month ago. This review is based on my experience with the car over that time. The car has many pluses, but also a few minuses. In general, this car is very well suited for city driving and parking. But I would strongly recommend an SX wagon over the S sedan even though the wagon costs about $1,000 more. The car's engine exhibits good pickup with automatic although it loses some luster with AC on (it applies to any other small car, including the venerable Toyota Corolla). The engine is also somewhat gruff and loud during acceleration but settles in otherwise. The brakes feel strong enough, but the brake pedal has felt somewhat soft at times. My brakes (without ABS) have locked up on me a couple of times on wet roads (that's the first minus). So ABS is a must and should remedy this situation. Most dealers have these cars without ABS but I would insist on it. Auto transmission shifts nicely. The car is very spacious with a lot of headroom and legroom in front and rear. The seats are the most comfortable of any small car I've tested (including Focus, Protege5, Prizm/old Corolla etc.) The seating position is mini-SUV tall, and the visibility is great to the front and sides. The second minus of the sedan is poor visibility to the rear because of the very tall tail. The SX wagon would remedy that situation. Side mirrors are large and folding (a great feature for city driving/parking). The trunk is huge for a small car. The stereo system is more than adequate. The car does not feel cheap inside; sure it's plastic but well put together. If you are expecting chrome and natural wood, shop Jaguar. The SX wagon adds power door locks and larger alloy wheels which the S sedan does not have. The car definitely looks better with larger wheels as its body is short and chunky and makes the S sedan wheels look small. The car has a very tight turning circle and is very maneuverable (another great feature for city driving/parking). Handling is good, and I have not noticed excessive body rolling or leaning (but Porsche it is not). The car feels tight in moderately aggressive turns, and steering feel is a little light but the car does not wonder all over the road. The car does bounce a little over road imperfections (it's short), but not more so than other cars in this class. The tires on the S are low grade, but the SX has upgraded tires. Overall, I would give the Aerio an 8 (out of 10) based on my experince with it so far. If you live in a large city as I do, there is even more of a reason to buy this car. I don't know firsthand about Aerio's reliability, but I've checked the NHTSA website, and other Suzukis have had very few recalls over the years (unlike the Focuses, for example).
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    If you are interested in a CR-V like vehicle, you could wait until September when the AWD version comes out. It has higher clearance than the normal car, it's heavier and probably ride a little better than the 2WD version. In Germany magazine testers didn't like the car very much but there it sells with 1.3 and 1.6 liter engines, way to weak for this type of car.
    In addition the awd version, a reviewer in the Mississauga News hinted at a stretched wagon version in the not-too-distant future. (I guess Ford has their Focus 5-door hatch + wagon, so why not Suzuki!) Anyway, don't think we can wait that long, as the Sidekick is due for it's emissions test in Aug. and I want to trade it before then.
    My Aerio SX wagon is white with dark tinted glass which keeps it much cooler inside here in Arizona. Saw a black one with limo tint, 17 inch wheels, a high performance exhaust and neat graphics on the sides. Sharp. There is almost no road noise but mine has a little wind noise at high speed but not objectionable and you can still carry on a conversation with no difficulty. The first one I drove had no wind noise. Good highway car, fast and stable, relaxing, great vision. It takes a pretty good wind gust to knock it off course. Perfect vehicle for city, highway, camping. My dealer was really dealing. The sedan is more stabke in a cross wind but that is always true over wagons or SUV types. Try it out.
    yeah, we plan to test drive this weekend......not a great supply of SX wagons from the dealers I've checked out....think it's the most popular model here. Have seen green, silver and yellow SX wagons on the road + a yellow sedan......the green SX wagon had a roof rack & looked really sharp. I'm sure it'll seem "lexus-like" compared to our old Sidekick (has been incredibly reliable, if a bit crude to drive).
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Where are the rebadged Wagon R's going to be sold? I've become a big fan in the last couple years, and would buy one in a second if it was available when I get back to the states.
    Is your SX a manual or automatic? If it's a manual, what are the rpms at 70, 75, and 80? What is your fuel economy so far? Thanks for any input.
    The Wagon R is a Japan and Europe item only plus India and a few other markets under different names. It is my understanding that the re-badged ones for Nissan might be a Japan only item. Ask Nissan.
  • dixaronedixarone Member Posts: 21
    What exactly is the deal with the tires on this vehicle? Can you put larger rims on? I watched a Motoring 2002 TV program on the Aerio, and they indicated Suzuki has "no plans" to support larger tires. I personally think the vehicle looks ridiculous with the small rims - but I would definitely take a look if they could be upgraded!
    frenchcar said some dealers in his area put 17" rims on some SX's......I'm sure you can do a "plus one" or "plus two" on the Aerio without any problems.......16 ir 17 inchers + a wider track would go a long way to enhancing the look of the Aerio. Anybody know what the stock rim width is?......I would bet 5 or 5.5" max. 6 to 7" would probably help, as long as you could maintain the correct offset.
    The problem is, the stock tires(195/55-15) are already fairly low profile @ "55" series.....plus one would take you down to "45" series @ 205/45-16 and plus two would take you to 215/35-17. A better result might be to stick with 15 inchers but with tire size 215/50-15....virtually the same diameter/circumferance but wider and stockier looking.....maybe buy some 15x6.5 or 15x7 inch rims too.
    A friend of mine owns a Suzuki dealership here, and I didn't realize until I asked him yesterday that the WagonR's are all 660cc cars. Can't imagine them ever making it to the states.
  • carspy01carspy01 Member Posts: 137
    Sorry, but the Wagon R+ sold in Europe is a mutual development between Suzuki and Opel (General Motors). The Wagon R+ over there has the 1.3 liter, 4-cylinder, evolved from the Swift, while the sister model, Opel Agila, is available as 1.0 liter, 3-cyl., 1.2 liter, 4-cyl. and a natural gas version (all Opel developments).
  • smoothride3smoothride3 Member Posts: 8
    I just got my Aerio SX on 5/7/02 with Automatic transmission and ABS. So far after driving a day, I like it. The power is there, and the ABS brake is good. But, I get this clicking noise or "tic tic" right infront of the driver tashboard close to the left corner, and I have no idea where exactly it came from. The noise only happen when I am driving and not when the car is idled. Does anyone have this problem?
    Interesting, they don't break 660cc's here (Japan). (my flag is wrong)
    smoothride3

Congrats on your new Aerio! The clicking noise you describe sounds like it could be a speedometer cable. Since the noise is only there when you drive, thats the only time the cable turns. Not uncommon. Have the dealer look at it.
  • suzukixl_7suzukixl_7 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Aerio GL Sedan since Monday. It's a M/T base model.

All seems good. Roomy, comfortable, responsive... it's got a strong engine, it's not a slouch.

No ABS is available on the GL and GLX models in Canada. You have to get an SX trim level (in either sedan or hatchback) to get ABS. The interior cloth on the GL is tan, which goes well with my green car.

The wheel covers are off right away, it looks like a ghost car right now. I am waiting for someone to sell me their aluminums off an SX they want to slam and put 17 inchers on.

You can't beat the finance rate right now on the sedans, go see your dealer. But, be warned, there is not much room to play with on the pricing. Just look at edmunds pricing for the Aerio to see why.

Been hanging around the yahoo groups site for "suzukiaerio"; somebody there mentioned there was talk going on over here, so, there ya go.

Keith
    Abbotsford, BC
This discussion has been closed.