Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• frenchcarfrenchcar Posts: 247
    I have a 2002 Aerio and a 95 Sidekick I bought recently with 94,000 miles on it and it runs great. We are considering using the old Sidekick more to keep the mileage down on the Aerio as we hope to keep it a long time. How many miles have you put on your old Suzuki products? I dont think 200,000 miles is out of the question or am I just dreaming?
  • Hi all,

I was driving around yesterday on one bar and decided to hop onto the freeway to get to the next exit as there was a gas station that was there. As soon as I got onto the freeway my car started to sputter and spat. I ran out of gas (hadn't ran out of gas in years). My car came within a 200 yards of the offramp so I was about 400 yards from the gas station I was intended to go to. I was thinking of leaving the car and walking to get some gas but here in California you can get a ticket if you leave your car on the freeway unattended (even though you have hazard lights on). So I decided to use Suzuki's roadside assistance. Its the first time I have ever used a manufacturers roadside assistance. I have to say theirs was great. In fact better than AAA. I called them up and within a half hour they had a someone deliver me 2 free gallons of gas. No questions ask! Sizuki's the best!

Happy motoring!

thought I could make it to the next gas station
  • Hi all,

I live in southern California about 25 miles from Brea where Suzuki's US Headquarters is located. I decided to take a drive there and look around.

In their parking lot they had a 2004 Aerio SX, Verona and Forenza.

Aerio SX: This is practically the same car. From the exterior only thing that has changed is the wheels. They are 5 spoke and look a little cleaner with less indentations and creases (I lot the 2002/2003 better). Apparently they have a new engine which is a 2.3 ltr 155 hp but of course I couldn't see that. The interior they made some really nice improvements. The biggest I could see was that the shifter (auto) and steering wheel are both leather wrapped (looked really nice), all door knobs are chrome (I bought the chrome ones for my car). The door handles (which you use to open the door) are all painted silver - same color as our radio dials. You also get a center arm rest for the drivers seat. Its attached to the drivers seat.

Verona/Forenza: The fit and finish of these cars are top notch. The panel gaps are narrower than our Aerio SX and the paint job was right on par with Aerio (this is one thing I thought that Suzuki really did well in). The ineterior materials I think are first rate. Equivalent to both Toyota and Honda. They are both a step above our Aerio as far as the look and quality of the interior plastics. The interior fit was great! Both the Verona and Forenza both have nicely added silver accents - a little more than the Aerio. They look less painted and more true metal.

I think I am going to take a closer look today.

Happy motoring all.
  • Shawn, at one time I believe you were looking for Hyundai or did you change your mind and get a Suzuki?? Good choice. How long had you been driving down on one bar on the guage? I assume it was blinking. Our Aerio has 2 gallons left when it goes to one bar and about 1 gallon when it starts blinking. I would like to meet some of the people at the Brea headquarters but Im 500 miles away. However I have written to some of them with nice replies following. I am anxious to drive a Verona with the inline six and I wonder where that engine originated?
  • Hi frenchcar,

I previously had a 2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS (a very good car) in which I traded it in for a 2003 Aerio SX almost a year ago. Maybe you are confusing with someone else.

If you want to get a gathering at Suzuki's Hqtrs send me an email.

The Verona I believe is made by Daewoo.
  • After recently returning from a trip, we were down to the second last bar (the one b4 the blinking one). About 10km into a 50km round trip to drop someone off, the second last bar disappeared and the blinking one came on. I really didn't want to fill up until the next day, as I was expecting gas prices to drop a bit, so I completed the trip and drove home. The next morning, I went to get gas and could only cram about 46 litres of gas in (I think the tank holds 50), so I still had about 4 litres to spare, even after driving 40km with the blinking bar. I actually wish Suzuki would change their set up a bit .... wish the last bar wouldn't blink but would remain solid and then have a low fuel warning light come on when you have a gallon or so (or a few litres) left.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Did you happen to see what the new fuel economy ratings are for the 2.3 liter Aerio? I can't imagine they will be good but this car definitely needed some more power. I sure hope they made the engine smoother and more willing to rev.
  • I sat in a new 2004 Suzuki Verona today. WOW This is a large car made to compete with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. The fit and finish and paint and trim were top notch. This was the top of the line model with full leather, sunroof, automatic climate control, standard 6 cylinder engine (inline) and too many other options to mention here. Very comfortable, huge trunk and large back seat, neat white faced instruments, wood trim and the doors close with a quality thump sound you only find in more expensive cars. The engine compartment is a work of art. This is an impressive car that Suzuki and GM collaberated on and it is built at the Daewoo plant in South Korea but designed in Italy and I understand the engine was actually a German design. I think they have a real winner here. Didnt get to drive one but I prefer to wait until they have a demo car with lots of miles on it. This one was dark red with dark tint and gray leather. Sharp combination and it was $19,900 and the cheap one is $16,900 and is a real bargain at that price.
  • HankrHankr Posts: 100
    ... is little more than an updated Daewoo Leganza... designed by Daewoo with all Daewoo components.

Suzuki / GM have not had time to impact anything in this car's design except for some badging. They only took over (part of) Daewoo little more than a year ago, and in that deal are forced to take the production output of the one Daewoo factory they did NOT buy. That's where these units come from.

Whether this car turns out to be good or not remains to be seen... but it is still a Daewoo, sold by Suzuki, which probably does not bode well for resale value.

I am an Aerio owner, so don't flame me, but these are the facts.
  • Yes I am aware that the body shell is the Leganza with a different grille, head and tail lights but GM and Suzuki have had almost a years lead time to fine tune and improve body and paint fit and finish and substitute parts from different suppliers. I will reserve final jusgment until I have had a chance to drive one or two of them but the little tweaks they have made so far are rather impressive. Please tell me where the inline 6 cylinder engine came from since Daewoo didnt have one. A salesman tried to tell me it was either a Porsche or BMW design. GM has a sweet inline 6 in the Trail Blazer but it is much larger or does Chevy have a smaller version? GM is now part owner of and is sharing info, designs and parts with Suzuki, Isuzu and Subaro. The Aerio AWD system from Subaru is one example. Nothing new or unusual about any os this. Many of the new Kia models are reworked Hyundais, SAABs are part Saab, GM and Opel now, and I remember the last Packards in 1958 that were reworked Studebakers and the Hudsons that became Nash derivitives. Im just afraid that the press road testers will be biased as usual and give the Verona a bad rap even if it is a worthy effort. I remember the first Honda here with chain drive that broke down every 5,000 miles and the first Subaru that was a tiny and funny looking mini car that was laughable and my first Toyotas in 70 and 72 had many problems. The press gave them a hard time until they got big and now it is tough for them to criticize what is popular. As Hyundai has grown dramatically they have quit criticizing them. Suzuki's turn is next but in the meantime I remain loyal.
  • nhsjrnhsjr Posts: 15
    Update from post 732. I got some slick 50, oil and filter a few weeks ago, drove my car up on some ramps, and, even with a filter wrench could not get the thing off. Glad I tried that b4 draining the oil. Took the stuff and drove to my Suzuki dealer who decided to be kind and use my stuff and do the job for $10 so I'll plug them. John Decker Alexandria, LA.
    Anyway, with just over 5000mi on the clock my car runs great. I experienced some rattling in the door panels which has gone away by it self and I wish the car rode just a little smoother, but for what it is (and what I paid) I got a real bargain.
    I wish the automotive press wasn't so clueless about Suzuki?
  • Just back from a 5000 km trip to Nova Scotia. Drove back through U.S.A. Very nice.

So far all is well. No problems, squeeks or rattles or oil usage. With some 12hr drives, the seats have proved to be great. Also did some touring with five adult passengers. Cozy.

One observation. This is not a car for the mountains. Auto downshifts can be pretty dramitic. Five speed would be OK. Highway fast lanes are just fine.

To improove things Suzuki should borrow some of those numerous cuby holes from the Toyota echo. There is just not enough place to put your stuff.

So far, very happy.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for the updates. Glad to hear your vehicles are serving your well. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Glad you enjoyed your Aerio on the long trip but we have enjoyed Mountain driving in our Aerio automatic. We always take ours out of overdrive and punch it hard in 2nd and 3rd on the way up and lock it into 2nd or 3rd on the way down for engine braking and find it corners briskly and holds the road well and is much fun. Recently climbed 5,000 feet in a 12 mile twisty switchback type road and came back down in no time at all as we lucked out with no traffic. It took a good 7,000 miles to feel broken in and of course the K&N air filter and Mobil One oil have made a big difference and we had put on different tires when it was new. We had years of practice when we lived in Colorado with all the high mountains they have and dont get into nearly as many in Arizona. Mine would probably poop out at 12,000 feet but the 2004 will have a larger engine and Im sure that is because the AWD versions are slower. Im sure the 5 speeds are a blast but our automatic is smooth and I dont notice dramatic downshifts except in overdrive in hilly terrain and that is why we click it off now and then.
  • The 2.3 engine is rated with better gas mileage than the 2.0, for everyone's information.
  • Have any of you had a chance to test drive a new 04 Aerio yet with the larger engine?? My dealer just got a few in but I have not been able to get in there just yet. Im really curious.
  • 1989 Sidekick(new)...Red,5 speed,2dr Hardtop. So much fun, go anywhere. No slowing for RR tracks!

Door bottoms, and hinges rusted out at the frame at 100KM. Suzuki repaired hinges no charge. Had the door frame cut out and new factory one put in, then repainted. Like new.

Bent rear axle, from driving on pavement in 4WD. (other family member)Traded in on next below.

1991 Swift GT (used),white,5 speed,2dr,100 hp. What a blast to drive. Nothing like waking up a sleepy Smokey at night doing 145KM. Yes the ticket hurt. Said goodby at 150KM. Chassis rust very evident but body only minor.

Current cars, 2003 Aerio SX AWD and 2002 Civic SIR Hatch.

My advice....maintain wery well, don't be cheap. Wash and wax frequently, even if it's the drive through.
  • I will keep the wash and wax in mind. I've got a grimy li'l black hoagie in dire need of a hosedown. 13, 800 miles and all is well.
  • Hi! Longtime reader, first time poster. My wife and I are in the market for a new car, and I've really taken a shine to the Aerio SX -- it seems to be just about the perfect combination of size, interior room and quality. Plus, with the fact that we've got two new Suzuki dealers in town, you can't go wrong.

I'm looking at a red Aerio SX with AWD. The sticker says $17,299. I'm used to negotiation of course, but Edmunds seems to think that it has a TMV of $17,261. Huh?!? $38 difference? I was thinking around $15,800 out the door, maybe less. Am I being too optimistic?

I'd be willing to sacrifice the AWD for ABS, but according to the workup, it's still $17,099 list versus $17,061 TMV. Surely the dealer must deal, right? What should be about right? Obviously, there's incentives on the 03's which will affect the price and I don't think the 04's have any incentives yet.

Thanks everyone!

-Andy
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Glad you've come out of the dark (from lurking) to introduce yourself. Did you also check the "Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value"? Depending on the region you're in, you may see a $2000 Customer Cash incentive, that is being subtracted from the Regional TMV quote. For my region, the Customer Cash adjusted True Market Value is $15,463.

Look for that information near the bottom of the TMV information box. Don't forget that you can also price with options (and zip code) for a more accurate TMV value. Others hre may have more to add.... Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • How do you owners feel about the digital read out dash in your Suzuki? That is one of the only things that is keeping me from buying an SX. Otherwise I like the look of the hatchback.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    THEY SHOULD CHANGE IT TO REAL GAUGES.
  • I have no problem with the gauges. The readouts are brighter than analog ones.
  • davidd5davidd5 Posts: 79
    I thought the same,but after a day of driving the Aerio I got completely used to it. I can't say enough about the room this car has. And I have 18,000 trouble free KM. It has been driven in minus 35c to plus 37c weather. The heater and A/C are some of the best I have had.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Posts: 247
    We have had our Aerio for 15 months now with no problems and this large digital speedometer is THE BEST WE HAVE EVER HAD. Our family has had 76 cars over the past 50 years (including 5 Suzuki products, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Peugeot, Fiat, Chevy, Buick, AMC, Ford, Studebaker, Audi, VW, etc and my first car was a 1940 Chevy. The numbers are large and sit up high and you can glance at it in a split second and never have to study it or take a second look and you can almost see it out of the bottom of your vision while still looking ahead at traffic. VERY SAFE INDEED. Some magazine road testers make fun of it as being old fashioned which is another of many examples of why I often take a dim view of some of the testers and their prejudiced opinions. CHRIS IN # 913 We road tested one 3 different times before buying an Aerio and love it and we checked out 5 other makes too. Buy it or at least try one out.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    its more fun to watch the needles zing around in a circle.
  • pro02pro02 Posts: 19
    I'm looking for a replacement for my Ranger truck. I'm tired of the dismal gas mileage. I need a hatchback for the utility. I tow a small sailboat (500 lb. combined boat & trailer) and would like to know if any of you tow with your Aerio SXs or if it is even allowed according to the manual.

Thanks
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    I'm pretty sure the owner's manual desn't recommend it.......that being said, I don't think it would be a problem with the small weight of your boat & trailer.......I've seen people towing with old Tercels and Accents.
  • pro02pro02 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the input, wheelz4. The main issue would be the possible voiding of the warranty if towing is actually prohibited in the owner's manual.
  • redsirredsir Posts: 34
    Switching from kph to mph is great.

When your are on vacation and you need to keep a close eye on your speed, I found the digital is better than the analog.