Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    if I was an owner, I would absolutely love it. But I can't be an owner because my head is in the roof and my knee is in the center counsel.

The problem of how to satisfy POTENTIAL owners is more critical than current owners IMO.

John
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Tacoma v. Baja, no competition in my mind. I'm a big fan of subies, but I'd never get the baja over a "regular" pickup truck that is within 4-5K in price. I see the Baja as an alternative for folks who would otherwise buy an Outback but want the outside storage.

-mike
    Anyone have links to hard covers for the Baja?

-mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Mike-

Try http://www.tonnocover.com/

They may have something.

Mark
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • yooperyooper Member Posts: 30
    This isn't the first time....

I was at the gas station today and pumping gas next to a older guy in a full size truck. He wanders over and says he hasn't seen one of these before, what kind is it? He also comments on the All Wheel Drive. He asks what kind of mileage I get (I've hit 30 mpg a few times on the highway). I show him the switchback door and told him I have hauled a riding mower in the back. He then comments it sure is a lot better than this (he motions to his truck which is STILL pumping gas). He was pumping before I started and was still pumping when I left and I tanked a near empty Baja.

Subaru of America.... Are you listening.... The gas station is your platform for advertising the Baja. It has been stated in several posts in recent months.
    Very true, as I was pumping a whole bunch of $2.01-per today to fill my Explorer's belly.

Bob
    yep, MSN Autos has selected the Baja as a second year repeat winner in the small compact pickup category for "Most Appeal".

But, the Baja concept has tremendous appeal, but will never get me in one with my head in the roof and my knee in the center counsel.

My Forester has 1 1/2" more head and a full inch leg. Note, the new OB and Legacies are even better space-wise than the Forester.

Putting the Baja on the new OB chassis should clear up a lot. Better yet, putting it on the new 7 passenger platform will really help.

Either way, the fatal flaw of the current generation Baja is its interior size, followed by lack of bed size, followed by mediocre payload. It doesn't make sense for Subaru to spend money advertising a vehicle that suffers from these fatal flaws. Correct them, and it will sell itself.

John
    That reminds me of the lifeguards using Brats back in the 70's to patrol Hungtington Beach. Nothing like a bright yellow AWD pickup to draw attention from teenagers.

John
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Nice rack! lol

Looks like aluminum? Shouldn't be that heavy either.

-juice
    speaking... Honda just announced some more details on the Ridgeline SUT, it will have 1,000 lb payload, room for 5 adults, 255 hp V-6 5 speed auto, VTM 4 wheel drive, and a 5 foot bed.

Photos show 4 moon roofs (or maybe it is a front and a back with a divider). Can't tell if they open or are a fixed affair.

John
    5 adults, yeah a ford festiva also seats 5 adults, would you want to put 5 adults in it? Probably not.

-mike
    Ridgeline is wide enough, though. Maybe 4 adults and one child.

I think the point is the Baja doesn't even give you the option to squeeze a 5th passenger, kids or adults.

-juice
    Finally, CR reported that reliability numbers have improved and they now recommend the Baja.

It was the only Subaru not to earn their Recommended stamp since...well, since I can remember! Must have been at least a decade.

-juice
    My Theory on CR.

I think they had a small sample size for the first year of the Baja. Instead of stating insufficient data, which they did on the Chrysler Pacifica (I think the Pacifica had higher production numbers too), they gave the Baja a poor score based on a few complaints. I feel CR may be partly to blame for poor Baja sales based on their insufficient data and giving it a poor score. My perception of CR dropped after the Baja report. They went from recommending it to avoiding it. Hmmmmm. Seems someone would have noticed and recommended a second look before jumping to conclusions, especially based on Subaru's reputation.

As for my Baja. The only flaw it has had in 11 1/2 months and 17,000 miles is a trim button on the drivers door was missing when new. Dealer fixed it with no questions. That is better than the most of the cars CR tests.

Yooper
    I wonder if they have a cut off for a certain sample size. Dunno.

What's very strange is they haven't rated a lot of Hyundais lately at all, I wonder if owners aren't filling out the surveys, or perhaps CR readers just don't buy many of them?

-juice
  • odfrankodfrank Member Posts: 8
    I left my bed extender off and out in the cold (California cold) and it was four inches too narrow to fit back in a week later. I had to tweak it with a jack to make it fit back in. Does aluminum shrink in the cold ? Anyone else experience this ?
    4" sounds a bit extreme for any material to shrink. Was there some hardware missing?

-juice
    I was on the CarConnection website
    (http://www.thecarconnection.com/vehicleratings.asp)
    and plugged in the data for a 2003 Baja to see what JD Powers rated it. It was rated as follows:

Mechanical Quality: 4 out of 5
    Body and Interior Quality: 5 out of 5
    Overall Quality: 4 out of 5

In comparison, the 2004 Toyota RAV4 was 3 of 5 on overall quality.

.....and Consumer Reports recommended avoiding the 2003 Baja? I still think they had some bogus figures to work with.

Yooper
  • gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    I am trying to figure out if this will hold by ATV. It is 40" wide and 70" long. Anyone tried this before? I was figuring it may fit with the tailgate down and the bed extender removed, just winch strap it in. Any thoughts?
    Very small sample, is my guess.

Indeed, Baja is not rated better than average, as we suspected it would do all along.

-juice
    There has been so much talk of how poor the Baja sales are, here and elsewhere; but I wonder how the sales compare with other Subie slow-seller models?

For example, how do Baja sales compare against:

• Outback Sedan?
    • Impreza RS sedan or wagon?
    • Legacy 2.5i sedan?
    • Outback VDC?
    • STi?

Bob
    Those all use existing bodies for the most part. The Outback sedan is the only one that requires much that is unique, and even then it's just cladding.

Any how, I think it was 7% of Outbacks are sedans, so that's about 400 units per month. Baja sells about 600, so that is a good point.

STi deserves a pass because that is a halo car. Even if it loses money it generates enthusiasm and a ton of good press for Subaru.

RS is an Outback Sport with monotone paint and minus the cross bars. Probably costs them pennies extra.

-juice
    http://www.powco.net/img/nasioc/BajaCover1.jpg

http://www.powco.net/img/nasioc/BajaCover2.jpg

http://www.powco.net/img/nasioc/BajaCover3.jpg

Found these over at nabisco. As I had mentioned earlier, these models are finally arriving at dealers. The bed cover is very similar to the one found on the Explorer Sport Trac. There are two locks on it, one for the front portion, and one for the rear portion, so it flips open from both the back and the front. I have no idea how hard it is to remove or install.

I was told a while back that this hard bed cover may (?) become an option on future Bajas. My guess it will be an '06 Baja option—but it's just a guess...

Frankly, while certainly better than anything else currently out there, I really hope Subaru engineers a hard, lockable, roll-top bed cover on the next generation Baja (if there's a next generation Baja).

Also, this Baja turbo w/leather is only available in automatic. :(

Bob
    Nice custom fit plus it matches. Thumbs up.

-juice
    to someone who just bought one over at nabisco, the owner's manual states that it is NOT waterproof. Water-resistant, yes, but not waterproof. Also the key lock was reportedly hard to turn. Speaking of the lock, it didn't look up to typical SOA quality standards from what I could see. So it sounds like they're not quite there yet.

Bob
    I'm not sure about an ATV, depends on the wheel base of the ATV. I haul a minature Ford Model T (like a go cart) that is 72 inches long, but the wheels are not on the extreme corners like many ATV's. It barely fits.... and I mean barely. The rear wheel is on the lip of the tailgate and I strap it down real well.

My solution....still in progress.... I have a hitch on my Baja and I am going to use a load extender in the receiver. It T's up and helps support longer loads by placing the weight on the hitch instead of the tailgate. I am then going to build a platform to carry my Mini Model T on that. I am sure it work for an ATV too.

One note about the above solution. The spacing is VERY tight with the receiver hitch and the license plate in the down position.

Yooper
    Make sure you put the heavier end towards the front, to maintain good weight balance and not lose steering control.

In other words, I'd put the engine side towards the bed's front.

-juice

Tossed in 18" BBS rims while I was at it!

-juice
    Juice is out of control! The man is downright dangerous with a mouse in his hand! :)

Bob
    OK, now I kept the Crew Cab but made the beg a lot longer.

The rim is 18", so my stretch is more than a foot, probably 15" or so.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Now that would actually be useful, if it could easily handle a 1500 lb payload.... ;-D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Look how long that wheelbase would be. Might be about 120"!

Long bed crew cabs are all like that, extremely long.

-juice
    Yeah, but 10' isn't a bad wheelbase for a truck. The mid-size crews with "long beds" are still short trucks. Take the full-size crews at 22.5' (overall length)for a spin. You actually have to know how to drive in order to be able to nimbly maneuver and come out of the city unscathed.

But the Baja doesn't need a bigger bed until it is built to handle it (on 18" rims! hehe). That mini Model T sounds like it is quite the load for a Baja.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Actually the Mini Model T is not much of a load in regard to weight. It just is a little tight on length, but it does fit. I just got a digital camera so I will try to get take a picture and post it in the next day or two.

Yooper
    I finally took some time to take pics of the Mini Model T in the back. It is tight, as was mentioned before, but it fits. I don't haul it far like this. I am going to build a travel case for it this winter so it is sitting on a platform in the bed and not so close to falling out.

Pictures are here. (Some other fun car photos too)
    http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=88361990406&amp- ;page=1&sort_order=0

Yooper
    Oh..... hahaha. When you said mini, you meant SUPER-mini! An oversized lawnmower. lol
    Now that's a tight fit! Good job, that really shows the limits of what you can carry.

-juice
    http://www.pelovish.com/xtracrap/baja-ad.jpg

Note: it's the Baja turbo w/leather, as it has the hard, lockable bed cover. I have yet to see it run in a magazine. :(

Bob
    I was just looking at this ad on the Baja Forum message boards. I added my 2 cents there on the ad being confusing. I teach school and occasionally give matching tests, but they are never this confusing. On this ad you cannot follow one line to match the words without going cross eyed in the middle. Also, the picture shows nothing about the car, in fact the bed sort of blends with the dark background. Use pictures showing what the car can do. Do they advertise snowmobiles on a showroom floor, or out in the snow? (put in 4 wheeler if your from the south) The photo in this ad makes it look like a sedan for a nice country ride. Ummm, I thought the bed was for function.... show it functional then. I thought it had all wheel drive, show it in inclement weather or on mild off road. I thought it was an alternative to gas guzzling trucks, show it as more efficient.

Sorry, I guess I am preaching to the choir.

Yooper
  • gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    This runs on 'This Old House' magazine. Looks like they are marketing to the weekend 'do-it-yourselfer'.
    Yes, that's where the ad came from; and yes, that's the market it's geared to, Harry and Harriet homeowner.

Bob
  • aarestadaarestad Member Posts: 10
    Yay! Finally! Some targeted marketing advertising! ... er... better make that "some advertising". I'm pleased to see SOMETHING for the Baja. The next target should be gardening and landscaping magazines.
    Hello from Brazil, where there are plenty of truly compact pickups.

What's interesting is they are 2 seaters based on compact cars, like the VW Saveiro and the Chevy Montana (based on the Astra).

Well, guess what, Bob? Payload in this class is 500 kg, or 1100 lbs! And they are based on cars far smaller than the Legacy, like the Baja is.

-juice
    Well, guess what, Bob? Payload in this class is 500 kg, or 1100 lbs! And they are based on cars far smaller than the Legacy, like the Baja is.

I would welcome an 1,100 pound payload. Remember the Baja's is only 800 pounds.

Bob
    I saw a preliminary spec sheet on the new B9 Tribeca at the DC car show the other day. It comes standard with 255/55x18 tires, mounted on 18x8 rims. I wonder if they could be mounted on the Baja? If so, they would look neat, and probably would increase the ground clearance by at least 1 inch, I would think.

Bob
    Too low profile for a truck, maybe?

-juice
    Same size tire as on the X-5 and Touareg I believe.

Bob
  • jwm1jwm1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm considering an '05 Baja Sport 2.5L as a replacement for a Ford Ranger. It is my commuting vehicle so cost per mile figures into the equation. I know the Turbo requires premium fuel, but what about the Sport? I saw one unofficial website that indicated the Sport should run on 89 octane. The dealer tells me 87 is fine (via Email), but hasn't specifically said the owner's manual recommends 87 octane. Any Sport owners care to comment?